Franchot Tone swears by the "seventh son of the seventh son" as he does in "Mutiny On The Bounty".

The film was written to cash in on the popularity of "runaway heiress" films, like "It Happened One Night," in which Gable also starred.

The Lockheed Electra seen in this film is the same one that was flown by Amelia Earhart on her ill-fated around-the-world flight attempt the following year.

The seventh of eight film pairings of Crawford and Gable.

This film did very well at the box office, earning MGM a profit of $677,000 ($12M in 2017) according to studio records.

When Mike and Sally enter Fountainebleau Palace, Mike mentions that they were going to spend the night with some pretty important ghosts, including Richelieu. Sally replies, "I'd rather enjoy meeting Richelieu. I want to see if he really looks like George Arliss." George Arliss had starred as Cardinal Richelieu in the movie of the same name the year before this movie was released.

Franchot Tone and Joan Crawford were married in 1935. They made seven films together, this one included, and were divorced in 1939---Hollywood's golden year.

Many people are in studio records/casting call lists as cast members, but they did not appear or were not identifiable in the movie. These were (with their character names, if any): Dewey Robinson (Italian Father), Bobs Watson (Italian Boy), Betty Jane Graham (Italian Girl), Agostino Borgato (French Comptroller), Alphonse Martell (French Spy), Frank Mayo (Traveling Man), Bobby Watson (Assistant Manager) and Richard Powell.

Interesting to note that when Sally (Crawford) meets Michael (Gable) for the first time she tells him how nice it is that someone other than her board of directors cares about her. Joan Crawford would go on to be elected to the board of directors of the Pepsi Cola Company 23 years later in 1959 upon the death of her husband who was Chairman and CEO of Pepsi at the time.

This film's earliest documented telecast took place in Tucson Wednesday 12 June 1957 on KVOA (Channel 4); it first aired in Los Angeles 28 June 1957 on KTTV (Channel 11), in Chicago 11 July 1957 on WBBM (Channel 2), in New Haven CT 23 September 1957 on WNHC (Channel 8), in Altoona PA 7 October 1957 on WFBG (Channel 10), in Baltimore 15 October 1957 on WJZ (Channel 13), in Philadelphia 18 October 1957 on WFIL (Channel 6), in Lebanon PA 21 October 1957 on WLBR (Channel 15), in Miami 6 November 1957 on WCKT (Channel 7), in Norfolk VA 19 November 1957 on WTAR (Channel 3), in San Antonio 25 November 1957 on WOAI (Channel 4), and in Honolulu 28 November 1957 on KHVH (Channel 13); it finally founds its way to New York City 2 August 1959 on WCBS (Channel 2) and to San Francisco 24 April 1960 on KGO (Channel 7).