User Reviews (249)

• For its time, a time when segregation was still aggressively enforced in the United States, 'Song of the South' was likely a progressive film, a major family film many of whose main characters were black, and whose animated characters were voiced by a black performer. Now, of course, 'Song of the South' is considered problematic due to its depiction of black slaves as happy and complacent, and its portrayal of them as Uncle Tom stereotypes.

Look closer, however, and you'll see a fine family film, warmhearted and gentle, both a technical landmark and a dazzling series of fables as told by Uncle Remus, the movie itself serving up a number of its own morals -- like the fact that a parent's good intentions can unwittingly stifle their child, or that storytelling is key to one's moral and social development.

None of this matters, of course. Walt Disney has now chosen to ignore the film on the basis of its reportedly offensive depiction of African-Americans in the post-Civil War era. For one, this film was not intended as propaganda or considered offensive at the time, and was merely the product of American perceptions of the 1940s; it's not any worse than the scores of westerns that depicted Native Americans as savage Injuns. Of course, Native Americans were and continue to be a marginalized group while African-Americans have maintained a desire to assimilate and have. Being that African-Americans have been far more vocal in their rejection of the injustices committed against them, it goes without saying that white-on-black bigotry is a far more sensitive issue than white-on-Indian bigotry (despite the fact that the Native Americans have suffered just as greatly at the hand of The Man as African-Americans), and therefore, we're less willing to excuse movies like 'Song of the South' than we are films like 'The Searchers.'

But then why is 'Gone With the Wind' still given the green-light and not 'Song of the South'? Well, the answer is simple: The Walt Disney Corporation. Walt Disney will go to any length to keep its reputation clean, and 'Song of the South' is construed as a serious threat to it -- therefore, placing the film on moratorium and making it unavailable simply deters controversy. They can't undo it, but they can certainly hide it. It matters not the value of the film. In a heartbeat, Disney would withdraw something as beloved as the 'The Little Mermaid' if it were one day decided that the film was unfair or offensive in its depiction of mermaids. In 'Song of the South,' one sees an innocence and warmth. In current Disney films, one sees a lot more of the cynicism and calculation of a soulless capitalistic corporate entity.

The depiction of blacks in current cinema is a lot more shameful and offensive than anything in 'Song of the South.' Consider personalities like Chris Tucker, Martin Lawrence, and films such as 'Phat Beach' and 'Friday,' which depict African-Americans as lazy, dope-smoking ne'er-do-wells who treat women badly and have no morals. I guess the fact that these films are largely created by African-Americans for African-American audiences gives them a dubious seal of authenticity, being that African-American entertainers are, ostensibly, no longer being exploited by the white man and have developed their own independent voice. If that's true, why is it so much more difficult for black filmmakers such as Charles Burnett and Julie Dash, filmmakers with a truly independent voice, to either find financing for their films, or be met with commercial acceptance? 'Song of the South' might be inaccurate in its depiction of slavery, but it never makes a point of being *about* slavery, and it's no more inaccurate than hundreds of Hollywood's historical epics and costume dramas.

By making 'Song of the South' unavailable, Disney is doing a disservice to those involved in the film and, more importantly, to the millions who harbor fond memories of it.
  • This film will never receive a clean bill of political correctness, but neither will any film made before the 1960s. In fact, Song of the South presents some of the least offensive portraits of African Americans you can find from the time. If you really need to compare, go find any other film starring Hattie McDaniel – start with Gone With the Wind – and note how much more dignity she has in the Disney movie. Uncle Remus (James Baskett, who is utterly, utterly exceptional) is perhaps the most charming character you'll find. He's much more stereotypical of an elderly man than a black man. A smart man with strong morals and a clever way of delivering them, he seems to see things more clearly than anyone else in the film. No, Uncle Remus is a kind man who loves humanity, and this love is infectious. The movie made me very happy to be alive. A more politically correct version of the film would have him rebelling against white society with violence. It's kind of sad that we can't abide blacks and whites actually getting along, preaching brotherhood. The live action bits are very good (although I think Bobby Driscoll is a bit weak in the lead), but it is the animated pieces (and the live action/animation sequences) that make Song of the South great. Br'er Rabbit, Fox, and Bear are wonderful characters, and these three segments represent some of the best animation Disney ever did. The mixed scenes are amazing (was this the first time it was done?). I especially liked when Uncle Remus went fishing with Br'er Frog. Uncle Remus lights his pipe with an animated flame, and blows an animated smoke ring that turns into a square (which is, of course, also politically incorrect). I suspect that the biggest reason this film stirs so many negative emotions is the black dialect used in the film. I think that bugs people a lot. Really, though, blacks from the rural South have and have had their own accents and ways of speaking just as they have and have had in any other region. While the accents in this film are somewhat fabricated, I'm sure, I think that it would be a far cry to think of them as harmful to anybody. The hurt that people feel over this movie is the real fabrication, induced by PC thugs who seem to want to cause rifts between peoples. I think that a re-release of Song of the South could possibly have a beneficial effect on race relations in the United States, as it does depict dear friendships and respect between the races, something that I think we quite need at the moment.
  • ...Or, Queuing Up At The Outlaw Cinema.

In China and Saudi Arabia, the government has absolute and frightening authority to bury whatever films or music or publications it considers unacceptable. In the dollar-driven U.S., we let cowardly mega-corporations (which either can't blow their nose without ten rounds of focus groups pummeling the life out of what may have been a decent idea once, or are run by megalomaniacs who attend to every detail of everything, whether they are capable or not) suppress our art for us. So while I guess it's par for the course that the studio that financed Song of the South is scared to death to touch this film, and in fact refuses to acknowledge that it exists, this situation leaves me wondering whether this means that those focus group studies held in South Central L.A. didn't turn out like they planned. – Or is the "they" who buried this film The Big E himself? Anybody?

Let me spell out the specifics of this despised and incendiary censored object: It is good-hearted and sweet in the extreme. It was lovingly crafted to be a sentimental family film in a time that was far more hospitable to sentimental, family-oriented entertainment than we are today. But the acid test that it passes, for me, is that as you watch it, you find yourself wanting to be Remus. – Or to be a person with the stature, the imagination and the moral strength of Remus. He's lovable, wise, good, and possessed of immense natural wit. He has the smartest way with words of any film character of the 40s. James Basket is absolutely brilliant. His Remus is fully endowed with dignity, warmth and depth, even more so than most characters in mainstream films of this period.

Oh the humanity! How dare they put out something like this!?

Seeing it for the first time in 2004, you will likely be stunned that some bumbling corporate bureaucrats have decided that you shouldn't see this. The part that gives these people a problem is, I am guessing, that ex-slaves ('ex' because this is well after the Civil War) are shown here as (outwardly) well-adjusted people. This is kept off to the side, depicted (or really NOT depicted) by mostly dark, atmosphere-setting, long shot scenes of itinerant laborers ambling toward the work field, group-singing or sitting around fires, singing and telling stories. The fact that they are not on-their-sleeve embittered revolutionaries/guerrillas is apparently the deal-breaker for the PC inclined.

I give this film ten stars. (For the record, I got my copy of this film from on line, in a sparkling-clean D.V.D. transfer. They're out there, and well worth your bargain dollar. Just watch who you buy from.)
  • Song of the South is a beautiful piece of film art. I acknowledge that some of the scenes are ignorant towards the plight of African Americans in the Civil War and Reconstruction era but I can't imagine a child who loves this movie coming away feeling racial prejudice or insensitivity towards African Americans. We should remember that this is a children's film and generally, people are happy in Disney movies. Should Birth of a Nation be banned because it champions the KKK? Of course not. We learn from our mistakes in the appreciation of our past. This isn't Nazi Germany. It was an Oscar winning film for petes sake. Please release Song of the South now.
  • I recently viewed 'Song of the South' after not having seen it for at least 15 years if not longer. The last time that I had seen this wonderful family film was when I was around nine years old during one of its several theatrical re-issues in the early 1980's.

OK, some say that this film is politically incorrect. No, it isn't. Let me explain and let's look at the positive messages before jumping to conclusions please: This film is not ABOUT SLAVERY. It is a film that has slavery in it, yes, but it is not the subject of the film. The subject of the film is the friendship between an elderly kind man (he's a African-American!!!!) and a nice little boy (he's Caucasian!) This little boy looks up to Uncle Remus as if Remus is god-like. For a 1946 film to treat a subject in this way is commendable. Tell you what if you want to get angry at a film try a myriad of other 1940's films and see the negative portrayals of black actors in them; you'll find none of that here. At all. My opinion and quite frankly a truthful one. Now, enough with the 2004 cynical comments and on with the show.

I will say this right now: It is deplorable that Disney has not released this film when movies like 'Gone With The Wind' and 'The Charlie Chan Collection' are being released by major studios with disclaimers, etc. dealing with the views of some political groups who get their shorts in an uproar over the most benign issues and should focus their powers elsewhere and leave a beloved family film with a great message alone.

This film has several genuinely touching moments that culminate in the innovative technique of combing animation (the amazing 'Brer Rabbit sequences) with live-action actors. Disney was the George Lucas of his day and he has managed to do what some have thought lacking in the recent Star Wars films; connect to an audience with animated characters! There's heart and soul in this film.

Bottom line--Disney, a good company, is depriving itself of a goldmine because people are still paying to get copies of this film from outside resources and would gladly plunk down hard-earned ca$h for an anniversary edition, with as many disclaimers as Disney would like to stamp on it, make it a net-exclusive or something...it's depressing to think that this will never be released on video here in the United States. Really, what is the worse that would happen? There'd be a minor stink and then guess what? I'd have 'Song of The South' on my DVD shelf along with other lovers of great films and we'd all move on to the next thing and have a zip-a-dee-doo-dah Day!
  • When I was about five years old, I saw this film with my older cousins who were in their twenties at the time and I don't remember hearing them saying anything negative about it. This is ironic, because I am African-American. Everyone must remember that this film was released in the 1940's before the civil rights movement and before "Roots". Now because of political correctness, we have all but forgotten this classic film, which was one of the first to combine live action and animation. Even though I do agree that this film does show slavery in a positive light you also should look at the fact that it dared to show the friendship between an African-American and a Caucasian, something that would never have even been thought about in those days. Next thing you know, someone might get the bright idea to ban "The Cosby Show" because it supposedly doesn't portray how the average black person really lives.
  • I think it's a great shame that the 1946 Walt Disney classic, "Song Of The South," has been banned in the U.S. because some civil rights groups **15 years ago** complained that the movie was racist and they did not want it to be shown anymore. And Disney, not wanting to offend anyone, bowed down to their demands and yanked the film from public viewing in North America, where it has not been seen since. The only way you can watch "Song Of The South" now is if you still own a laserdisc player and you're willing to spring for a costly Japanese import disc, OR if you manage to track down a UK VHS copy of the film released in 1997 and have it transferred. Well, having viewed a transferred VHS copy of "Song Of The South" recently, I can honestly say that this is a marvelous Disney movie that is NOT racist and does NOT deserve to be hidden away.

While I can certainly understand the concerns of the civil rights groups over "Song Of The South," the fact that the movie is set during the turn-of-the-century South when many blacks served subservient roles is NOT a good enough reason to hide the film away from the public. This is not an issue of racism, it is simply a historical fact. Furthermore, the black characters in "Song Of The South" are all treated with respect. They are not treated badly, nor are they spoken to badly. Further still, are we going to destroy all copies of "Gone With The Wind" just because it features a black maid? Think about it.

What also upsets me about the shunning of "Song Of The South" in the U.S. is that most Americans will now never get to see anymore the marvelous performance of James Baskett as the loveable storyteller Uncle Remus (and Baskett DID win an Honorary Oscar for his fine work in this film, lest we forget). Nor will Americans ever get to see again the wonderful Disney artistry on display in "Song Of The South" that perfectly blends live action with animation (the very first film to do so, if I'm not mistaken). They won't get to enjoy the hilarious adventures of Brer Rabbit ever again. Nor will they be able to sing along with the Oscar-winning song, "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" anymore. All of this, in my opinion, is very, very shameful.

I strongly implore Walt Disney Productions to reconsider re-issuing "Song Of The South" in North America, if *only* for a limited time on home video, so anybody Stateside who wants the film can finally have it. And with all due respect to the civil rights groups who complained about "Song Of The South" back in 1986, I strongly implore them to seriously rethink the ban that they had Disney place upon the film. On the Grammy telecast this past year, just before mega-controversial rapper Eminem took the stage to perform "Stan," the Grammy president came onstage to give a little pep talk about freedom of speech & freedom of expression. He said that we cannot ban certain artists and their work just because it makes certain people uncomfortable. The EXACT same thing can be said for Walt Disney's "Song Of The South."
  • I saw this on one of it's re-releases when I was very young and it has stayed with me. It is one of Disney's best efforts and I'd love to see it again. Unfortunately, Disney is loathe to offend anyone and it therefore seems that this film will be consigned to the vaults because Disney is unwilling to risk any heat. It's too bad, because the film teachs tolerance among other lessons. Recommended, if you can see it at all.
  • Song of the South is a beautiful film, with fine values -- fine moral values as well as exceptional production values. The animation is state of the art, the songs humable - Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah is a classic. But many Black people find it painful to watch, painful to the extent that Disney fears a boycott of its other films if it releases this one. Corporations are in the business of making money -- not art. We are lucky when art is an incidental by product, as it is in this case.

The DVD I watched is from Buddha Video Co in Taiwan. Their telephone number if 886-2-2571337. Unlike some VHS releases, the Chinese subtitles can be turned off. The company logo appears briefly but annoyingly in several scenes, but that is a minor irritation. The transfer is better than VHS, though far from the pristine transfer we can wish far, in a happier time, when the old racial hate becomes as remote as the wars between Athens and Sparta. The box has a professional look -- the only strange thing is the absence of any mention of Walt Disney.

Of course, I cannot view this film the way a Black person would, but I hope that Black viewers at least realize both the good intent and the good effect this movie had. Evidentally not all do -- there are posts to this board that accuse the film of racism. It is obvious to anyone who lived though real racism that the message of the film is one of respect.

When I first saw the movie, I was a young white boy growing up in the Deep South, and I think this movie, and movies like it, led me to reject the racism of the adults around me. In much the same way, the TV show "I Spy" opened the minds of the generation that came after mine.

The potential to offend is in all great art, and the offended are often moved to try to suppress what causes them pain. Song of the South is in the same class with Huckleberry Finn, Showboat, Gone With the Wind, and The African Queen -- offensive to some, loved by many, good in both intent and effect on society, but unacceptable today to those who do not want to be reminded of the truth about the past.

Modern films, which invariably show Black people in the past as able to treat all whites like equals and not get lynched, are pure fantasy, but they are a fantasy that those who would rather forget history demand. But there were many close friendships across racial lines. Friendships such as the one shown in Song of the South between the grandmother and Uncle Remus did happen.

One final comment, addressed to those who wish the horrors of Reconstruction were explicit in the film -- there are horrors enough hovering around the edges. The father, for example, is clearly risking his life by publishing a progressive newspaper in Atlanta. The mother, while she is not a racist, looks down on the "lower class". But these things are, rightly, kept to one side. This is a children's film, after all, about love, intelligence, and the healing power stories.
  • I am a lifelong Southerner. No one can gainsay that slavery was a terrible thing. It is our great national sin. But to dump all of that on these delightful folk stories seems to me a bit much.

I saw Song of the South as a small child. I didn't once think how dumb Uncle Remus was; I thought how dumb the smart aleck fox was! According to the foreword in my copy of Joel Chandler Harris' volume, these stories came from Africa originally where the characters were the lion, the jackal and whatever else they used. They are the Aesop's fables of a whole culture and they deal with how one who is weak and powerless--say a slave or a small child trying to survive his parents' problems--can deal with a world and come out with a whole skin. The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong is the whole theme of the Uncle Remus tales. And everybody's gotta have a laughing place if they want to stay sane in this old world.

Good on you, Uncle Remus! Good on you!
  • Political correctness having been pounded into our heads by the media, I can understand the underlying racial issues that have blunted this Disney film's reputation--no one really wants to be reminded of this particular era (the post-Civil War) when rich Southern white folks called the shots and the black folk did all the hard work--but I can't imagine any film-goer of any color passing up the chance to see James Baskett as Uncle Remus (this was his swan song, dying about a year after this film's original release and just a few months after winning a special Oscar for his contribution). I saw this in the 1970s at a drive-in theater and the experience was magical, it stuck with me for years. It's an emotional, lovely movie about childhood, the friendship between kids and adults, and the confusion about right and wrong. There are no issues here about white and black, but then, this isn't the proper film to address those issues. It is the South at the turn of the century, and in that regard it's not much different from "Gone With The Wind". There are beautiful animated interludes and a handful of terrific songs, Brer Bear is a riotous Disney character, and the live-action youngsters (Bobby Driscoll and Luana Patten) are wonderful--the scene where he gives her his fancy collar is quite poignant. Driscoll and Patten were later teamed in Disney's "So Dear To My Heart", which is also worth finding. "Song of the South" is a film with a great big heart that needs to come out of the vaults. Let viewers judge for themselves.
  • In the past few years, Disney has gone though great trouble to re-release many movies onto DVD as 'collectors' editions. They've even released the old cartoons shorts onto DVD with collector tins, numbered, the whole shebang...but yet, they have yet to release Song of the South. It's a shame that such a large piece of Disney History must remain buried for only hard core fans to buy from third parties.

This movie may have a racial undertone (although a child probably wouldn't see it), and it's a shame that there are those who are so easily offended at a piece of American history (slavery, not the movie) that they can't even sit down to watch (or not watch and just accept the release of Song of the South). It's as if it's PC to pretend slavery never happened by not releasing a movie that contains it. I'm sure "Roots" was a big mistake.

This movie provides audiences with some of Disney's MOST famous songs including "The Laughing Place" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Da". If you were to ask someone where Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Da chances are they won't know. (and saying "Disney" isn't a fair answer.) It's shocking how Disney has become so famous for a song that was never allowed to be released in the US. (Not to mention one of the most famous rides at Disneyland is based on this movie. Didn't you ever wonder about those animals during the Splash Mountain log ride?) All in all, this is a GOOD movie and anyone who loves Disney or cartoons should see it.
  • I saw this movie in the theaters in the mid to late 1980s. My grandparents took me, and now, after understanding the reasoning behind the unavailability of this movie in the US, I was always wondering why grandpa didn't have a problem with it. I always figured that if the NAACP had a problem with a movie, a minister would have some sort of problem with it too. My grandparents are now both deceased, and I found a little notebook that my grandma used to write in when she and my grandfather first started dating. When she "started going with Johnnie Powell" the first date they went on after that was to see this movie. (This was back in the 40s when Disney 1st released it...they were married in 1948.) This just goes to show you that the love one person has for a movie (this movie)doesn't fade in regard to one's position and or career. I fell in love with this movie when I saw it on the big screen, and this is the movie that was the turning point for my love of Disney. I still love it to this day. I now own a copy that I found at auction/flea market. My one wish is that I can actually burn the bootleg copy and give Disney/Buena Vista the money that they deserve for such a classic story.
  • I have just seen "Song of the South" for the first time in 35 years. I first saw it when I was a young child and loved it. I was one of the fortunate to be raised "colour-blind" and indeed seriously considered joining the busing protests of the 1960s. Having seen this wonderful motion picture again on DVD today it certainly affects me on different levels from the viewings of long ago. Uncle Remus reminds me more than anything else of the wise Chinese sages epitomized by "Kung Fu"'s Master Po. He has wisdom far beyond that of all around him yet is human; his protégé adores him; he is misunderstood by significant other characters; he possesses a praeternatural wisdom, sagacity, compassion and love. James Baskett richly deserved his Oscar for his performance. Technically "Song of the South" prefigures the far less moving "Roger Rabbit" by decades: the melding of live action and cartoon was amazing at the time and is impressive even today. The supporting cast is very good to excellent. The musical score stands up even today, and the songs not only please and stay in the mind - for a lifetime. For adults and children, even in these cynical times, there can hardly be a better motion picture. But above it all stands the majestic James Baskett as the Eternal Sage, Uncle Remus. Would that we could all open our hearts to learn from him!
  • It is a shame that the children of today can not enjoy this wonderful movie. Please Disney, release it to the home library. I can see no reason why it has been withheld from us. It has quality lessons for the children in the stories told my Uncle Remus. Maybe we should picket the studios to get it released.
  • I can't even tell you how old I was when I saw this movie but I was pretty young. I would love to get a copy of that movie now. I don't understand why it's locked in a vault,if it was worth making it should be worth viewing. The stories in this movie are unforgettable, the song I sing nearly everyday of my life and I don't believe that anyone should be deprived from seeing this wonderful movie. I don't see anything offensive in this movie and it's a pity that anyone would.

I love Disney, I love Disney movies, I really wish that Disney would put this film out for those of us who would, and those who could, enjoy it. It is sad that Disney fears offending people now, when it wasn't an issue nearly 60 years ago. It's just as good a movie now as it was then. It's like Disney is saying they didn't care what they did then but they do now. They should be the same and realize that you can't take it back, so let the people see it!
  • Some may view Song of the South as politically incorrect. Not me. I think the show is very enjoyable for children and all open-minded adults. The villains are two white trash boys. The hero is Uncle Remus.

Slavery is shown as idealized - but it is shown the way it was (assuming the Masta' was compassionate).

The acting is excellent. It is one of the earliest Technicolor movies.

Hope no one is upset at the "Southern Talk".

We just ordered a "remastered" DVD off the internet. Yes, you can get a copy if you really look around. I was told long ago that it was available overseas so I asked my brother (while traveling) to look into getting a copy. Easier said than done.

The film version we received was the complete movie along with some extras. I could not be sure that it was officially sanctioned by Disney and it did not have the common Disney intro - but the included theatrical trailers did.

We visited Magic Kingdom in Orlando some years ago. My oldest son noted that every ride had a strong alignment with a Disney classic animation and could not place Splash Mountain - which is a great ride with all the characters from this film. I had seen the film many years before as a child, so this ride was particularly rich for me. But for him - it was lost - the little animals running around us were meaningless and childish - although perfectly executed. I spoke of the film as we were moving through the ride and he felt like he'd really missed something. How was I to know that finding a copy of it would be so difficult?

In most modern films, the dynamics would play on the suspicions between the cultural leaders players. We'd see dark machinery and legal actions – certainly darker content in the dialogue. This entire film is lighthearted and celebrates the innocence of youth and the wisdom of the elderly while still honoring parents – everyone is trying to do the best for the boy. With the exception of two brothers that are malcontents no matter what – even here we see the elderly man equipping the boy with tools to deal with a harsh situation.

The people who made this film took the high road and depicted multi-faceted cultural relationships in a way that in today's films would be hollow and shallow - but would also be diametrically different in depiction and outcome.

This is masterful storytelling - simply done. We are rooting for everyone by the end of the story because everyone wants the best for the kid and nobody questions their motives otherwise. You don't often find this kind of power in modern scripts - especially scripts that are this simple and straightforward - there is no pretense or "agenda" machinery - it's not trying to make a case, make a point, offer an agenda or prove anything - it's just a story about love - a song and a summer in a place that a child should and would never forget.

In the end of the film, the children have all embraced and immersed into the wonderful world created by Uncle Remus. They are happy, singing and engaging each other in a picture of healthy fun, clean, crisp air surrounded by a harmless, healthy and exciting environment. The kids actually "see" B'rer Rabbit and the Blue Bird. In today's films - Remus would be under investigation by the FBI for creating a personality cult and roping impressionable kids into a fantasy existence, a Pied-Piper-like following that encourages irresponsibility and denial of reality.

I've noted that a lot of modern films like to make their settings in the far past - half a century or more - so they can tell their story without it being lost in a modern cultural quagmire. Movies set in today's time frame are often high-CGI action/body/count movies - culture is not on the radar because James Bond's underwater submarine is on the sonar – and we give the main character a pass if he is politically incorrect with anyone because harsh language is a form of mercy when his tendency is to spray bullets instead.

Short answer to everyone - lighten up. Accept it in the spirit within which it was intended - enjoy the movie - it's one of Disney's best works and a jewel in America's cultural crown.
  • This charming film, full of humor and love, will never be released in the United States as long as Michael Eisner heads Disney. There is noting evil in this lovely story of an old man and a young boy, neither of whom see skin color as a reason not to care deeply for each other and to reach out to each other. As long as people bend to those who would impose their politically correct views on the rest of us we will live in a society where popular culture is censored. One has only to review a catalog of Touchstone Films to realize that Eisner's fastidious sensibilities don't extend to all segments of our society. Song of the South is a wonderful film but it is being held hostage. That is a real tragedy!
  • I cannot understand why Disney studios will not release this film in the USA. Uncle Remus is a natural, lovable black man who cares about people and tells the Brer Rabbit stories with such warmth and joy. How could anyone not love this movie which I rank right up there with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Pinochio. It's a real gem, and it should not be withheld from the American people. All the characters in this film do a fantastic job. Hattie McDaniel portrays a warm wonderful character, and it is a shame that she did not make more films during her career. Bobby Driscoll is a delightful child and his performance is also very special. I Love this film.
  • The NAACP should be ashamed of themselves and Disney should as well. As a person of color I was not offended by what was shown on the video. What next Turner bans Gone With The Wind? I'm more offended by Prissy than anything in this film. I was in London recently and found a used PAL copy for sale cheap. Lucky for me I work in the entertainment industry and had the ability to convert the film and sat down and watched it. What a sweet wonderful film I loved it. I've since been making copies (free) for all of my family and my neices and newphews have watched it every day. Ti hear them all singing Zippy Do Dah made it worth it. Now all my friends are begging for copies. So for the cost of the tape and time and wear and tear on my machines I've been making them copies. I feel like giving one to everyoine in the world. This movie should never have been banned!!!
  • When I was 8 years old, Walt Disney created this great and enduring classic, his first picture to include live actors and to mix them with animation. It was one of the very few pictures in that era to employ Black actors, and the undisputed hero of the film was a Black man. The film portrays a pervasive tone of positive values, and incidentally the best portrayal of interactions between Whites and Blacks of any film I've ever seen. There are no "slaves" in the movie, and I doubt Walt Disney gave any thought to slavery since there weren't any slaves in the post-Civil War South. Still, Michael Eisner and other latter-day Disney executives have relegated this classic to the vaults.

Easily one of Walt Disney's top 5 movies, anyone ought to acquire this wonderful picture for their family library. Since the film was on the market in the UK for a few weeks before being pulled-off forever, you can buy one on eBay (from other sellers, not me). Mine cost me over $100; a small price for Freedom of Speech; a small price for a true classic not otherwise available.
  • I remembered seeing this film when I was a child. I don't remember when but it had to be a reissue in the 60's (I wasn't born until the late 50's and the movie was released in '46). I remembered Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox but not the movie in whole. I was determined to find a copy of this movie knowing that it had been released in Europe on VHS (Disney pulled all overseas tapes in 1997). So it was a challenge to find one. I now have a copy and recently have seen it again. WOW, WHAT A MOVIE! This is the best Disney movie ever made! It is extremely wholesome and quite a shame the youth of today will never have a chance to view it. It's double the shame that Disney has no plans to release this film in the U.S. because of political pressure. One of the few films that plays on all emotional levels.
  • There is no other movie that will ever top this one! I haven't seen it since 1987, the last time it was released. The story is very touching and the bond between the little boy and Uncle Remus still gets me. I wish they would release it on video! No child should miss seeing this classic.