• I understand that Paramount wanted to film this with the Rodgers and Hart score, but couldn't work out the copyright problems, so Burke and Van Heusen who wrote the between them the most songs for Bing Crosby contributed a very nice score.

I read Leonard Maltin saying that this movie, "fit Crosby like a glove" and I couldn't have put it better. No, it's not Mark Twain's satire, it's a Bing Crosby film and in 1949 Crosby was the most bankable star in Hollywood. For once Paramount used technicolor and Rhonda Fleming was never lovelier on the screen. This was a woman that technicolor was invented for.

William Bendix's Brooklyn origins kinda stand out, but it's to a good comic effect. The trio of Crosby, Bendix, and Sir Cedric Hardwicke have a rollicking good time with Busy Doing Nothing. Bing has one of his patented upbeat philosophical numbers with If You Stub Your Toe On The Moon.

The third song he sings Once and For Always by himself and with Rhonda Fleming. That song was nominated for best song, but lost to Baby It's Cold Outside.

Nice also that Bing managed to record the score for Decca with Rhonda Fleming and Bendix and Hardwicke.

One thing I like about this film is that it shows Crosby's comic talents without Bob Hope. I like the Road pictures, but Bing was a comic talent onto himself and this film better demonstrates than any other.

This is Crosby at the top of his game.
  • "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is a film that has a little something for everyone, and that is what makes it a winner. It has the right blend of humor, action, intrigue, music, fantasy and charisma. One of the few total straight-to-finish feel good movies, "Yankee" is great for everyone in the family. And of all the films I have ever seen, this is my favorite. A pretty good recommendation, and I can't make it any stronger!

Bing Crosby plays a regular Joe who is mystically taken to the realm of Camelot. Basically he bums around and goes on adventures, bringing his 20th century wit and know-how along. He teams up with spectacular William Bendix's Sir Sagramore and falls for the beautiful Rhonda Fleming. Battles, music, evil plots and laughs ensue.

At times it seems a little too self-serving to Bing Crosby, but it's understandable and at times actually enjoyable. Bing has his run of Camelot, singing and bringing mirth to everyone. The technicolor is a little cheesy at parts, but by no means does it ruin anything. It doesn't matter what you're looking for, this movie has it; "Connecticut Yankee" is the perfect movie for when you're looking for something that takes its joviality seriously.
  • This movie is humorous, charming, and easily becomes a favorite for those who enjoy light entertainment. Hollywood is hardly the place for serious history lessons so I simply accept it as is. Bing, in his usual inimitable style, performs quite well as the blacksmith, Hank Martin, who by accident is transported back to another age, the time of King Arthur. The beautiful Rhonda Fleming is breathtaking as Alisande, or Sandy, the object of Hank's affections although she is betrothed to the brave and formidable Sir Lancelot, played by Henry Wilcoxon.

I just love that episode when King Arthur (Cedric Hardwicke), Sir Sagramore (Wm. Bendix), and Hank (Bing Crosby) dress up in tattered clothing and take to the high road with their knapsacks to experience the kingdom at firsthand. King Arthur's comment, "I say, we are not alone" while giving his scruffy garments a good scratch, is one of those hilarious moments in the film. William Bendix's portrayal is superbly ridiculous, not to mention his attempts at quaint "ye Olde English."

The story is not deep but it's well done in my opinion and I enjoy it more each time I see it. It's great family entertainment too.
  • JohnHowardReid24 March 2007
    Stylishly directed, picturesquely photographed and brilliantly acted — Crosby's interpretation seems exactly right, Hardwicke has his best role ever, while Bendix is a treat too — this Yankee's appeal is universal and irresistible.

One of the principal joys of the movie, of course, are the songs. As might be expected, Bing is in fine voice. And although Hardwicke's solo has been cut, we can still hear him sing heartily as he dances merrily with Crosby and Bendix in their famous novelty number, "Busy Doing Nothing". It's also a treat to hear Rhonda Fleming, who, although she enjoyed an extensive stage and concert career as a singer, was rarely given a chance to be heard in the cinema. She has a lovely voice that more than matches her ravishing looks—and she looks very fetching indeed in her Mary Kay Dodson costumes.

Director Tay Garnett gets the most out of his lavish budget, using all the resources at his command to present every fabulous scene as effectively as possible. (Perhaps the eclipse looks a trifle too contrived, but who's complaining?)

In short, as the trailer actually describes, an entertainment delight from start to finish.
  • My youngest sister and I have a tradition of watching old movies that are set in older times. "Jason and the Argonauts" was classic; she's young enough to get scared by the realistic effects of present day, so the special effects in these movies just makes her--and I--laugh. But this movie was different. It was low on the special effects, which 86ed our tradition, but we had fun watching it all the same. It was enjoyable and funny, with an easy plot to follow (which always helps when one watches a movie with a seven-year-old).

If you want my advice, watch it. You'll be entertained, even if the same idea was copied 10,000 times.
  • writers_reign20 September 2006
    Some of the posters seem less than gruntled because this is neither Mark Twain nor Rodgers and Hart but clearly it doesn't pretend to be either. You'll look a long time to find a greater Rodgers and Hart fan than me but Burke and Van Heusen weren't exactly chopped liver in addition to which they knew Der Bingle inside out and tailored some great songs - But Beautiful, Moonlight Becomes You, It's Always You, The Day After Forever, etc - to fit his highly personal style and here they come up with yet another fine - and unfairly neglected - ballad, Once And For Always, plus a couple of upbeat philosophy-lite entries in If You Stub Your Toe On The Moon and Busy Doing Nothing. The flimsy plot isn't meant to be taken seriously - why else make Merlin a heavy when in most, if not all, of the other versions he is more a friend/mentor to Arthur - so if you start wondering aloud why Sir Lancelot who has been sold to historians as the epitome of chivalry and uprightness metamorphoses into a schoolyard bully you're not going to get much fun out of what is essentially a fun movie. On balance it does what it sets out to do, entertain, so good luck to it.
  • I watched this merry movie the other day and enjoyed it

immensely, even though it was about the hundreth time I'd seen it.

It's a wonderful 'family' movie, in that it isn't offensive or overlong-

it's fun. My favourite part has to be the song "busy doing nothing", sung by

the unlikely trio of Bing Crosby, Cedric Hardwicke and William

Bendix (the first and last time they ever sang together!). There are nice touches all the way through, including the 'echoes'

every time king Arthur requests something: "MORE HOT WATER! . . . more hot water. . ." Or "CLOSE THE DOOR! . . .close the door. . ."

to which Murvyn Vye's Merlin replies, "the door closeth sire." While we are on the subject of Merlin, I'm surprised that with a

voice like his he didn't appear in more of Hollywood's costumers.

I've only ever seen him in one other film, and that was 'Green Fire'

(1955). Of course, I have to mention William Bendix's portrayal of 'Saggy' or

sir Sagramore. He turns up in Bing Crosby's prison cell

shame-faced and apologetic for calling him (Crosby) a dragon and

says the following: Saggy: If only there were ought we could do. Crosby: Well, ain't there ought? Saggy: Nought. Whoever heard of a knight of the round table with a thick Brooklyn

accent?! I usually detest musicals but this, along with 'White Christmas', is

an exception. The duet between Rhonda Fleming and Bing Crosby

('Once and for always') is brilliant. It's hilarious when he says she's

pretty, to which she replies enthusiatically, "oh, thou art pretty too

sire!" and he, looking round apprehensively says, "no, say I'm cute

or something!"
  • "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" has become my favorite movie of all time because it is a movie that has it all and works at a level where you feel relaxed and happy the whole time you're watching it. Most movies nowadays try to involve multiple elements in their plots but none of them come close to what "Connecticut Yankee" accomplishes. It has action, it has romance, it has good comedy, it has fantasy, it has intrigue, it has music and all of them weave into each other well. Extraordinarily well to the point where it becomes a joy to watch.

Of course, modern audiences might shrug off this movie as just another piece of fuddy old Bing Crosby fluff, which it is, in the sense that Bing seems to have absolute control over every situation and basically plays himself in a light-hearted movie. It's not deep, but sometimes that's not what we look for when we watch movies. This is a good "sit down with a loved one and a bowl of popcorn and just enjoy yourselves" film, one of the best in my opinion. Ok, the garish technicolor does get annoying, but it's the only downside to a great great film. Enrich your life! Please see this film!
  • My unintentional boycott of Bing Crosby films must end. I have no idea, being a fan of classic cinema, how this was my first experience with the actor/singer. Tay Garnett's interpretation of Mark Twain's book of the same name, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court proves that musicals can be fun, endearing, and serious, all at the same time. By the end of the movie I was feverishly searching Bing Crosby's filmography to see what other works of his I can check out!

A simple mechanic living in Connecticut in the year 1912, Hank Martin (Bing Crosby), takes a bump to the head on a stormy night, waking to find himself in 528 A.D. adapting well to his new surroundings, Hank shows his new counterparts technology and gently gives them hints about the future. He soon finds himself befriending those closest to King Arthur (Cedric Hardwicke), including most notably his favorite niece, Alisande La Carteloise (Rhonda Fleming). He quickly falls for the beautiful woman he nicknames Sandy, stepping on the toes of Sir Lancelot ( Henry Wilcoxon) whom she has been promised to. Learning that Sandy doesn't love Sir Lancelot, Hank goes about giving her glimpses of the world in which he comes from, and pushing her to only marry out of love. Trying to convince King Arthur to better learn what the lives of his subjects are like, he fashions an incognito trip for them in plain clothes. Disaster ensues when Merlin, (Murvyn Vye) sees the King's absence as a chance to overtake the thrown. If there's one thing we know about Hank though, it's that he is just resourceful enough to get out of any situation.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court was a fun look into the novel of Mark Twain, told largely through music. Bing Crosby brought the picture to life for me, and any fans of his must see this film! I found the film well-acted and touching. The film was a great story of the everyman type that succeeds. The film looked beautiful in all of its Technicolor glory. I will definitely be checking into more Bing Crosby films!
  • Is this a great cinematic achievement, in the sense that Citizen Kane and La Grande Illusion are great movies? No, of course not. But is this a thoroughly enjoyable movie? Most definitely! The high spots: Bing Crosby, as natural and charming as he has ever been in a movie; William Bendix, whose impeccably enunciated lines are a comic wonder - he made me believe he would have been great as one of the comical characters in A Midsummer Night's Dream; Cedric Hardwicke, who knows just how to deliver his lines to the greatest effect; and the script, which is really very funny.

The low points: 1) the script for Rhonda Fleming's role. She looks radiantly beautiful, but her dialog is worthless, and so she comes off as dumb in a movie where the three leading men come off as very clever; she deserved better. 2) the music. Van Heusen and Burke wrote some great songs, such as "Swinging on a Star" for Crosby's 1944 hit Going My Way, but there isn't a memorable number in this movie. That's probably why this otherwise very enjoyable movie is so forgotten.

You'll have a great time watching this.
  • Hello again, I have to comment on this wonderful, exciting, and believable tale of romance and intrigue. The music in wonderful and memorable. Very good colorful movie. Another movie I liked as well later on was High Society with Bing Crosby. Wonderful music. Thanks for listening, Florence Forrester-Stockton, Reno, Nevada
  • shugpug18 March 2005
    This movie is a great. The plot is very true to the book which is a classic written by Mark Twain. The movie starts of with a scene where Hank sings a song with a bunch of kids called "when you stub your toe on the moon" It reminds me of Sinatra's song High Hopes, it is fun and inspirational. The Music is great throughout and my favorite song is sung by the King, Hank (bing Crosby) and Sir "Saggy" Sagamore. OVerall a great family movie or even a great Date movie. This is a movie you can watch over and over again. The princess played by Rhonda Fleming is gorgeous. I love this movie!! If you liked Danny Kaye in the Court Jester then you will definitely like this movie.
  • neil-4767 November 2009
    50 years old, this musical comedy fantasy might look its age, but it wears it with dignity.

This film is still great fun. Crosby was never really romantic lead material, but he delivers the material with the lightly humorous edge it needs. Bendix plays broad and is huge fun in a part which calls upon his strengths. Hardwicke - how joyous for a knight of the realm - a genuine one - to throw himself into caperings like this with such abandon. And Rhonda Fleming enjoys herself in the least showy of the main roles. Only Murvyn Vye disappoints as an unconvincing Merlin.

Though not a musical, the songs are very good, and the "dance" routine accompanying Busy Doing Nothing is perfect - funny, appropriate, dexterous without being challenging, and making a virtue out of Crosby's musical movement which, let's be fair, was inherently amusing due to its never being his greatest strength.

The colour is fine, the sound is a little muddy in places.

And the story - well, it takes some liberties with the original, but I suspect that Mr Clemens might well have been pleased with the result.
  • Segue -- a funny thing happened on the way to this review -- I was trying to put together a review of TIMELINE, trying to explain to the readers present and future how the production team totally failed to engage, to connect, trying to find an example of a time travel movie (there are not that many) where the "connection" DID work -- and bang zoom, before you can say Bobs Your Uncle, I found myself transposed in time and space to the review page for this movie. (Yes, you got me, I am taking poetic license and stretching the truth a bit, to make a point). So let's compare and contrast shall we? TIMELINE is written by one of the greatest writers of modern suspense fiction. This film is written by one of the greatest writers, period (Mark Twain). Both involve modern characters who end up in medieval times. One leans more to the sci-fi (Timeline) and the other more to pure fantasy (this film). Now the big difference. One (Timeline) literally got "lost in translation" as (what seems like) budget considerations forced them to compress and neuter the story to the point where we almost don't care what happens to any of the characters. In this wonderful film, however, the incredible (and contagious) charm of Crosby literally forms a "bridge" across time and makes the audience feel safe enough to engage with the story and connect. This film is a lost classic and a tribute to Crosby's ability to carry an entire "road" picture without Hope or anyone else. See it.
  • sddavis6327 December 2011
    I wouldn't call this an example of a great old classic, but as an adaptation of Mark Twain's story it's enjoyable enough. Bing Crosby brings a likable quality to the screen as "Sir Boss" (or Hank Martin) a Connecticut blacksmith in very early 20th century America who by some strange and unexplained phenomenon gets knocked cold after being thrown from a horse and awakens in King Arthur's England 1500 years earlier. Using marvels such as a magnifying glass and matches to start fires, he manages to convince the kingdom that he's a magnificent wizard even greater than Merlin (Murvyn Vye), which helps to save his life since he was originally going to be executed when discovered. Hank falls in love with "Sandy" (the king's niece, played by Rhonda Fleming) and has to do battle with Sir Lancelot (Henry Wilcoxon), to whom she was betrothed. Finally, Hank convinces Arthur (played by Sir Cecil Hardwicke) to disguise himself as a peasant and go out among his people to find out what they're really thinking about him and what their lives are like.

It's quite an innocent fantasy, really. There are some amusing moments, and the whole thing, of course, has quite an unbelievable air about it, as befits fantasy. Most obviously, even if one can accept the idea of travelling back 1500 years in time, one then has to figure out how a 20th century American can speak so easily to 6th century Britons, who haven't yet developed anything even close to the modern English language! But that's to think about this too much. One should simply suspend thought with this and just enjoy the fantasy.

Since the movie stars Bing Crosby, it is of course a musical adaptation of Twain's story, and that (ironically perhaps since you'd think it would be Crosby's strong suit) was to me the weakest element of the movie. I just wasn't that taken with the songs. They're weren't really memorable, and I would have simply preferred to watch the story without the musical interruptions. (5/10)
    Mark Twain's book had already inspired "a Yank at Oxford";both this movie and Tay Garnett's feature a gorgeous lady:Vivien Leigh in the former,Rhonda Fleming in the latter.

What a good idea to have the characters speak old English!For once ,it's not the easy way out.The myth of the Knights of the Round Table is given a rough ride:Merlin becomes the villain probably for the first and last time in the history of cinema,the fair knights shows a tendency to embroider the truth and to "invent" their exploits,king Arthur is an old white -bearded man who never stops sneezing and Lancelot is not even handsome. No Guinevere either.Unlike in "Brigadoon" ,in the Middle Ages ,they made it rough all over the place

The Yank has to expend a lot of energy and boundless ingenuity to escape from the stake and the block;the eclipse trick was also used by Hergé in the adventures of Tintin " Le Temple Du Soleil" aka "prisoners of the sun" which Spielberg will transfer to the screen in the years to come.The prologue and the epilogue make two of the characters "travel in time" without a machine .The colors are splendid and the best song is the last one who has this sublime line " trying to find things NOT to do".Good entertainment .
  • I had no idea that this movie starred Bing Crosby and he was certainly well cast. The movie is littered with his awesome songs which really make the film. I'm not that familiar with the original Mark Twain novel. Anyway, I still understand most of it as it's basically just about a guy from modern times who travels back in time to King Arthur days. This was a pretty early movie to be filmed entirely in color. It really does show with how bright it is in contrast to other films at this time. I think the best thing about it is probably how timeless it is.

So basically, this movie takes place initially back in 1912, although it was obviously made in 1949. It was based on a book written in 1889 and it mostly takes place in 528. Wow, that's a lot of different years! It really doesn't matter which of any of those times it takes place because it still certainly feels like a modern movie. That's what any classic film should do. I really do find the main character likable and I sincerely want him to get out okay. Maybe it's a bit too long but it's still faithful to the feel of Mark Twain. ***
  • I am a huge fan of Will Rogers' movies--and that's why I bought myself a gift set of his films for Christmas. Well, I bought them and then told my wife this would make a great gift for me! Regardless, his films were almost always wonderful. I say ALMOST because his film "A Connecticut Yankee" was an awful mess of a film. You really have to see it to believe how bad the movie is--particularly at the end. However, I can report that at least the Bing Crosby version from 1949 is much, much better. While I wouldn't consider it a great film, it is a pleasant time-passer.

The film begins with Crosby visiting a castle in 1912 and meeting with the lord of the manor. He notices that the man looks very similar to King Arthur and so he regales the guy with a story--a story of how he somehow time traveled back to the time of King Arthur. What follows is filled with a bazillion anachronisms--though considering that Arthur is an entirely fictional character, I can put up with all the silliness. During the course of the story, Crosby's character falls in love with a woman--a woman he unfortunately left behind.

This film works mostly because Bing Crosby is very pleasant in the lead. He makes less sarcastic quips than Rogers did and sings a couple tunes in his easy-going manner. Not a film to rush to see, but very nice viewing.
  • This was a "cute" movie at first, then then got too sappy and featured mediocre songs, at best.

There is too much King James English spoken with is not only annoying in today's world but not always easy to interpret. Can you imagine young people of today trying to listen to this film? Forget it.

Bing Crosby has some good lines in here and is likable as "Hank Martin." Rhonda Fleming ("Alisande La Carteloise") was, too, in addition to her good looks and beautiful, long red hair.

It's a nice movie with a feel-good ending, and I can't knock that. Maybe this is worthy of a rental, for historical sake or if you're a big Crosby fan but, overall, it's not that much.
  • HotToastyRag16 November 2018
    Since A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is one of my all-time favorite novels, I'm always a little lenient when watching a film adaptation. As long as the general theme of the story is captured, I'm happy. So, if you're a purist, I recommend reading up on whichever version you're planning to watch before renting it. I've never seen a truly faithful adaptation.

Bing Crosby stars as Hank Morgan, the time traveler who unwittingly finds himself transported back to King Arthur's time. As a lover of the book, I think Bing is a perfect choice for Hank. In addition to his intelligence, one of Hank's defining characteristics is his ability to persuade and convince. Bing has played countless conmen in his career, so it's no stretch to believe he could talk the entire countryside into calling him "Sir Boss". I'm sure Danny Kaye would have loved this part, but I prefer Bing.

This version isn't perfect, however. William Bendix, playing Sir Sagramor, is a little different than his character was written in the book. He's a foolish oaf, spending one entire scene playing with a gun because he doesn't know how it works. Also, one of my favorite aspects of the novel is how Hank revolutionizes society by teaching hygiene, literacy, and other modern inventions. The movie skips over that plot point, replacing it with Bing teaching everyone how to play jazz music and dance cheek to cheek. But it's a Bing Crosby musical; what do you want?

For those of you who haven't read the book, I won't spoil the ending. I will tell you that one of my favorite parts of this 1949 film version is the different ending from the novel. The ending makes the story a sweet, delightful musical, instead of a semi-drama with social commentary. So, if you're in the mood for that, and you love Bing Crosby, and you want to see Sir Cedric Hardwicke sing and dance, you can't go wrong with this cute little flick.
  • Well, all of the Bingisms are there. The boo-boo-boo, calling adversaries "Buster", the easy going attitude which hides the cowardly con artist inside. But somehow Crosby is restrained. Sure, he looks at the camera and has flip comments to make. But it all should have been broader. Even William Bendix is restrained! I suppose director Garnett was looking to down play the slapstick of it all. This film has little to do with the biting satire of Mark Twain and has little to do with the famous Rodgers and Hart stage musical. The Van Heusen-Burke musical numbers ("If You Stub Your Toe on the Moon", "When is Sometime" and "Once and for Always") are above average songs, but they can't compare with "Thou Swell", "My Heart Stood Still", "To Keep My Love Alive", and "I Feel at Home with You". If you listen to Crosby's 1957 recording of "Thou Swell" on his superior album "Bing Sings Whilest Bregman Swings", you can tell that the song fits him like a glove. Too bad he doesn't do it in the movie. As for the Rodgers and Hart version, there exists somewhere a kinoscope of a 1955 TV production starring Eddie "Green Acres" Albert. A CD has been released of the soundtrack. I would love to see this version of "A Connecticut Yankee". Until it is made available, I guess I will have to settle for boo-boo-boo, Buster!
  • Although I have enjoyed Bing Crosby in other movies, I find this movie to be particularly grating. Maybe because I'm from a different era and a different country, but I found Crosby's continual references to the Good Old USA pleasant at first, trite after a while and then finally annoying. Don't get me wrong - I'm not anti-American whatsoever - but it seemed that the English could do no right and/or needed this brave, oh so smart American visitor to show them the way. It's a "fish out of water" story, but unlike most movies of this sort, this time it's the "fish" who has the upper hand. To be fair to both myself and the movie, I have watched it a few times spaced over a few years and get the same impression each time.

(I watched another Crosby movie last night - The Emperor's Waltz - and that, too, produced the same reaction in me. And to my surprise even my wife - who for what's it's worth is American - found the "in your face" attitude of American Crosby to be irritating. One too many references to Teddy Roosevelt, as she put it.)

As for the premise of the movie, it's unique enough for its day and the supporting cast is of course very good. The scenery and the music is also good, as are the great costumes - although I agree with a previous reviewer that the wig on William Bendix looks horrid (picture Moe of The Three Stooges).

All in all for me this would be a much more enjoyable picture without the attitude of Bing Crosby but because he is in virtually every shot it's pretty hard to sit through this movie.
  • Giving credit where it's due, only the technicolor, costumes and sets deserve any honorable mention.

This is undoubtedly the lowest point in BING CROSBY's long career at Paramount. The script is about as clumsy as you could possibly imagine and neither the casual Bing nor William Bendix nor Sir Cedric Hardwicke can do a thing about repairing it.

Bendix looks extremely foolish in a page boy wig. And poor Rhonda Fleming has a stock costume heroine role requiring her to look adoringly at Bing and little else except for warbling a couple of uninspired ballads in a voice probably dubbed for the occasion.

Just plain awful! Mark Twain's wit is not evident in any of the screenplay. Only die-hard Crosby fans can possibly appreciate this mess of a film given uninspired direction. Even the extras look as though they don't know what they're supposed to be doing.

Summing up: Dull as dishwater. Not recommended, even for children.
  • soames20 November 2000
    Mark Twain's amazing work of dark satire is transformed into . . . this??? Read the book. Please. I'm sick of Hollywood taking great books - this, Grapes of Wrath, The Egg and I, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, etc - and transforming them into watered-down versions of the novels, which take hold of the public imagination and supplant the originals for apparently all eternity. When will this end???
  • AAdaSC30 January 2011
    Tepid
    Hank (Bing Crosby) suddenly finds himself transported to the times of King Arthur (Cedric Hardwick). He is captured by Sir Sagramore (William Bendix) and brought before the king who orders his execution on the advice of Merlin (Murvyn Vye). Come the day, Hank talks himself out of his predicament and into a title - "Sir Boss". He then talks his way through the rest of the film as he battles against Merlin, Morgan (Virginia Field) and Sir Logris (Joseph Vitale) until ..... all of a sudden .... he returns back from whence he came ..... and finds a surprise waiting for him.

The film is good in the colour department. But that's it, I'm afraid. The songs are dreadful, the story is boring and the film goes on for too long. Bing is good enough as he breezes through the film. But that's just the trouble. There is never any danger or tension, whether Bing is being sentenced to death, arrested, chased - it's just endless lightweight tosh that he breezes through. It's one-gear (dull) all the way. William Bendix and Cedric Hardwicke do provide funny moments but they cannot halt the tedium.

I also spotted something familiar in the denouement. As a boy, I remember reading the Tintin adventure "Prisoners Of The Sun" which was first published in 1946. I recall being impressed by the way in which Tintin got himself out of a predicament at the moment of his execution (he knew there was to be an eclipse of the sun at a certain time). At the appropriate moment, he cunningly ordered the sun to disappear and put the fear of God into all those present. He then made it re-appear once he had negotiated his release. Well, I think someone else had read the same book.