• Our intrepid bumbling duo deliver the goods in one of the better offerings on their considerable CV. Here they are freshly qualified Private Investigators thrust into a murder investigation with an invisible man. That alone should tell you that the fun flows at a very decent clip, so with that I just need to say that some of the sequences here are comedy gold. Like a scene at a restaurant that is excellent, or Costello pretending to work the ball in the gym, and a final reel of a boxing match that really gets the laughter flowing. Watching these guys act as if with a real invisible man is wonderful, and of course the effects team also deserve praise for doing such a damn fine job with the invisible man of the piece.

Not quite as good as...Meet Frankenstein, but it's darn near close. 8/10
  • jotix10025 October 2005
    Bud Abbot and Lou Costello were an amazing comic team who endeared themselves to their fans with the kind of humor they projected; theirs was the kind of good fun with a lot of sight gags that made them one of the favorite duo in the movies for quite a while.

Universal, their studio, decided to showcased them in a series of movies that involved the "monsters" in its roster. This film is not one of those, but because of the usage of the amazing visual effects employed in using the visual effects in the "Invisible Man", it became a winner from the start.

This was one of the best Abbot and Costello's best movies. Both do excellent work under the direction of Charles Lamont. Arthur Franz, who is not "seen" enough is good as Tommy, the man accused of a crime he didn't commit. Sheldon Leonard is one of the gangsters that are manipulating the boxing matches. Nancy Guild and Adele Jergens are welcome additions to the movie.

Best of all are the boxing scenes involving Lou Costello as the amazing new boxer, Lou, "The Looper", who goes to beat Rocky, his better equipped opponent with a little help of his invisible friend.
  • I only watched this once, but that's my loss. I should see this again. Although not a big fan of these guys, I thought this was their funniest film, along with Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein. Although the latter is considered their best and most popular movie, my vote just might go to this one.

This film was simply a lot of laughs from start to finish and the special-effects with the invisible man are good, too - even over 50 years later! The boxing scenes at the end of the movie are incredibly hokey but they are humorous as the "invisible man" helps Costello in the ring.

Sometimes silly, sometimes stupid but generally fast-moving, this film is highly- recommended for those looking for an innocent, old-time comedy with a surprising amount of laughs.
    "Abbott and Costello meet the Invisible Man" is a lot better than what most would say it is.

**SPOILERS**

Fresh out of detective school, Bud Alexander, (Bud Abbott) and Lou Francis, (Lou Costello) are put in charge of the case of Tommy Nelson, (Arthur Franz) a man who was wrongly convicted for killing a mobster. Hearing of a serum that can make a man invisible, Tommy uses it and does become invisible, right in front of Bud. Even though the police don't believe his story, they let him continue to investigate. Leading back to the old boxing club where Tommy used to box to prove his innocence, all three run afoul of the gangster that had set Tommy up for murder.

The Good News: I honestly wasn't expecting this one to be as funny as it was, and it's one of the funniest ones in the series. There's a plethora of their trademark sight gags in here, and besides being quite funny, they are incredibly creative. The sight of watching Bud in a fight with a boxer, and any time he is landing punches, the boxer is beaten up with the blows heard landing on him. The other gags in there are just as creative, and are so uproarious that it has to be seen to be believed. Spread through-out the movie are other such moments that are just as creative and side-splitting hilarious. A dinner sequence with the Invisible Man quite drunk and a card game later, which itself is mind-blowing how well they were pulled off in the time, stand as highlights as well. A couple of very humorous word-plays at the beginning provide some more laughs, especially an interrogation scene that is fall-down funny. The effects are top-notch as well, and easily steal the show from the comedy. Whenever we see the Invisible Man, we are treated to show-stoppers. Here we are allowed to see the transparent pugilist through steam leaking out of a radiator and the effect is very impressive for one main example. A later sequence at the end, which was echoed to similar results in "Hollow Man," are just as effective and mind-boggling as they were back then. The fast-plot doesn't get too complicated, and serves as a backdrop for their brand of gags and word-play, and it easily entertains because of it.

The Bad News: I really didn't find much not to like here. Sure, the fast-moving plot is pretty similar to "The Invisible Man Returns," but it's easily forgiven. It's not one to think to hard about to figure out, and it's been mistakenly called as such. The main thing I can tell from this is that it follow in the footsteps of "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein," and while any film that would follow that one have big shoes to fill, this one is unjustly criticized because of it.

The Final Verdict: This is a refreshing return to the fun and fantasy that buoyed their earlier features. It's more comedy than horror, but it pulls off most of the gags quite competently and remains a light, fancy-free film that any fans of the Abbott and Costello movies or comedy/horror fans will like.

Today's Rating-PG: Mild Violence
  • Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man- ***

Here we are again, drawn into yet another Abbott and Costello movie. This time, the special effects out due the original Invisible man, and the humor from Abbott and Costello is at its best. This is one of the better films by them, most of the others are slow and somewhat boring. Here, its exciting and funny at the same time.

This is when Abbott and Costello are actually enjoyable to watch. Sure they overuse a lot of the same jokes, but at least there's some new ones too. I've never been a big admirer of Abbott and Costello, however there are a couple of their films that I really do love. I especially like their short skits, because they usually tend to be funnier. Here are some of my other favorites: Who's on First? Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein -Micah Knapp
  • In "Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man", detectives Bud Alexander (Bud Abbott) and Lou Francis (Lou Costello) have to protect a man framed for murder. This becomes proportionally easier once the man gives himself an invisibility serum. Some of the best scenes are when Lou watches him disappear, when a cop sees (or, rather, doesn't see) the man driving a car, and even a scene where Lou accidentally puts a bunch of people to sleep. The end scene is also a shocker.

These movies sometimes seem like they were just excuses for everyone to goof off. If so, then they did well. This one was also helped by the fact that it didn't have any songs, which sometimes weakened A & C's movies. Really funny.

I guess that I'll have to see this again, now that I know that Fred Mertz appeared in it.
    I would place this film in the top five of Abbott and Costello's films and the best film they made in the 1950s. It gets very good marks for excellent special effect as well as a clever story. It's one of several "monster films" Bud and Lou made for Universal Studios--having also done movies with Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolf-Man, Dr. Jekyll and the Mummy. All of these films were among their better films--great fun and a nice break from the usual Abbott and Costello formula. And speaking of formula, since this was made later in their careers, the original formula (including lots of song and dance numbers and a side romantic plot) was abandoned and the film was pure comedy.

The film begins with the boys graduating from detective college. When Lou wonders how he managed to graduate, Bud says that he "slipped them a few bucks"! Their first case involves a desperate man that comes for help. Tommy is a boxer who is accused of murder. He's on the run from the police and hopes Bud and Lou can help. Bud is only concerned with turning him in for a reward and Lou is his usual nice but wimpy self--he just wants to stay out of trouble. Just before the police nab Tommy, he injects himself with an invisibility formula. Now it's a matter of the doctor coming up with an antidote before the formula drives him made. It's also a matter of proving his innocence so he's able to once again show his face!

The movie has a lot of excellent invisibility special effects and these are done very well. About the only thing that is rather cheesy are the effects at the very end as well as the plot involving Lou posing as a pro boxer (with invisible Tommy taking pokes at his opponent). They didn't even try to do these scenes well and Lou obviously wasn't doing much of the punching. People said "wow he punches fast" but I just thought that looked a bit dopey. Still, considering how well made the rest of the film is, I can't complain. It's yet another one of the team's excellent Universal monster films and one any fan must see. Others probably will have a few laughs as well.
  • This entry in the Universal series of A&C comedies ranks with the top half-dozen of their films. The notion of having the pair meet one of Universal's most famous "creatures" is a good one--and somehow, despite some wildly overdone slapstick--it works.

The pair play bumbling detectives who attempt to prove an innocent man (Arthur Franz) has been framed for murder. The special effects are particularly good and were done by the same man, John Fulton, who did the original camera effects for 'The Invisible Man'. A highlight of the film has Costello in the fighting ring being helped by his invisible client.

Nice work by Arthur Franz as the man who takes the serum, Nancy Guild as the feminine interest, Adele Jergens and Sheldon Leonard. Fans of A&C will rank this one among their best.
  • I am amazed by the special effects in this Abbott and Costello thriller.

An invisible man manages to smoke? How did they do it? This is a fun one since the boys spend most of their time talking to a man they can't see! Creepy for the time...now curl up with it on a rainy day. That's a great way to enjoy Bud and Lou's crime capers!
  • This another great bud Abbott and Lou Costello and because of all the same reasons it has great comedy in it the acting is good in it the actors are good in it it has a good story line to it and the effects are good in it everything is good in it. so i'm sure that you will not be disappointed with bud Abbott and Lou Costello meet the invisible man. so make sure that you rent or buy bud Abbott and Lou Costello meet the invisible man because it is a great bud Abbott and Lou Costello movie. so i'm sure that you will have a good time watching it and you will watch it over and over again.

overall score ******** out of **********

***1/2 out of *****
  • rockerris7 December 2004
    Awesome
    I have trouble sitting my friends down to watch a black and white movie but I still think it is awesome. Arthur Franz is my 3rd cousin, although I've never been to Nevada so I haven't met him yet. I hope it happens soon. I think that the whole story has a sense of action/adventure while still slipping in some romance, suspense, and can't forget the humor. I think it's funnier than some of today's comedies are. I'll have to thank my dad for suggesting I watch this movie. PLEASE watch this hysterical movie, with or without friends. The money scene is my personal favorite! Go on watch and let us all know your opinions of the movie! ps. I think Bud Abbott and Lou Costello are sooo funny!
    The great special effects regarding the "Invisible Man" "gags" are outstanding and almost over-power the entire movie. Costello is quite a bit thinner here than he is was in 1948, in their "Frankenstein" monster classic. Typical A&C routines abound. As usual, almost everyone thinks Costello is "seeing things" and is imagining an invisible man. As always, Lou is taken advantage of by the "pretty woman" and Bud gets ignored completely. The film is so well-cast that it is superior to many Bud and Lou movies. Supporting actors include: William Frawley, Sheldon Leonard, and Arthur Franz. A lot of fun for all. Cute ending, as Lou disappears for a short time and re-appears with his feet on backwards.(Note: no playback problems in this 2015 four movie re-issue.)
  • To me, this is arguably the best of the "A&C Meet…" series. The boys get mixed up with a prizefighter accused of murder who escapes the cops and gangsters by turning invisible with the help of an experimental serum. Naturally, this leads to an array of amusing hijinks.

The comic potential here is greater than in other A&C monster entries (…Meet Frankenstein; … Meet the Mummy; etc.) because the menace here has the power of invisibility. That means the menace can challenge the boys in public without the public knowing it. On the other hand, the other monsters can't mix in public without being seen which narrows the comic potential to haunted houses or other non-public spaces.

For example, take the punching bag scene. It looks like Lou (Costello) has lightning speed rocking the bag when in reality it's the invisible boxer Tommy (Franz) who's doing it. There're a number of set-ups like this where the public is astonished by Lou's apparent powers, while actor Costello milks the comic potential.

That's not to say the other monster entries are not funny to varying degrees. But the monsters are restricted in these movies to scaring everyone in over-the-top fashion, whereas being invisible greatly expands the possibilities, such as the nightclub scene with the poor flummoxed waiter (Syd Saylor) who can't figure out who's doing what.

Anyway, the movie's consistently amusing and inventive. However, I wish we saw more of that great flashy blonde Adele Jergens (Marsden) and that great phony gangster Sheldon Leonard (Morgan). Seeing them together here resembles a match made in some cheap nightclub heaven. All in all, this is one of my A&C favorites among their many comedies.
  • Oddly designed as a sequel to Universal's 1933 The Invisible Man itself—there's even a recapitulation (complete with photo of Claude Rains) of the original story—this emerges as a fairly amusing Abbott and Cistello vehicle. True, the climax once again features Lou in his familiar turn as a sure-gone loser in a knockabout prize fight, but this time with some delightful variations. In fact, the whole movie is quite cleverly handled. The boys themselves are in fine form and they are handed some great gags to work with—both verbal and visual. A wonderful support cast—Lou's scenes with Paul Maxey's psychiatrist are a real joy—add further luster to the movie.

I always expect George Robinson's photography to be imaginatively atmospheric—which it certainly is! Perhaps too atmospheric. Just about the whole film action takes place at night, which is most unusual for the standard comedy movie, although Abbott and Costello had used this approach before in The Time of Their Lives and Meet Frankenstein. Whatever, the picture definitely has an attractively out-of-the-norm look about it. What's even more important, director Charles Lamont has risen to the challenge with scene-setting that is far more flavorsome and stylish than his usual endeavors. But perhaps best of all are the special effects—some admittedly obvious and even amateurish, but many very ingenious indeed.
  • ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN (Universal-International, 1951), directed by Charles Lamont, continues the tradition with the comedy team of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello meeting up with someone and taking it from there in regards to story, situations and comedy. Following their enormous success where Abbott and Costello met Frankenstein (1948), along with Dracula and the Wolf Man from that same movie, it seemed natural that they should eventually get to meet up with past Universal monsters. While meeting "The Mummy" came later, much later, 1955 to be exact, the team followed their Frankenstein encounter with a worthy follow-up meeting with an Invisible Man three years later. Not actually a monster nor a mad scientist, and with no actors from previous efforts reprising their roles, it involves a prizefighter accused of murder using a remedy that makes him invisible in order to clear his name.

As for the plot, the scenario opens quite amusingly as Bud Alexander (Bud Abbott) and Lou Francis (Lou Costello) are introduced as 1951 class graduates from the Dugan Detective Training School (Lou: "This is the greatest thing that ever happened to me. How did I ever graduate?" Bud: "I slipped the instructor twenty bucks"). No sooner after setting up their own detective agency, Bud and Lou (the latter sporting Sherlock Holmes hat and smoking pipe) acquire their first client, Tommy Nelson (Arthur Franz), a middleweight champion boxer wanted for the murder of his manager, O'Hara. Having just escaped jail, he wants to clear himself of the murder charge. Instead of getting Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson, Tommy gets the next best thing in regards to amateur detectives. However, it is Lou who believes Tommy innocent while Bud makes every effort to collect $5,000 reward for his capture. Tommy has Bud and Lou drive him to 823 Maple Street, the residence of Helen Gray (Nancy Guild), his fiancée, and Dr. Philip Gray (Gavin Muir), her scientist uncle working on a serum for invisibility which was passed over to him by the original invisible man, John Griffin (Claude Rains, whose photo is seen hanging on the wall). When Detective Roberts (William Frawley) and the police arrive with a search warrant, Tommy injects himself with the serum, whose disappearance into thin air being witnessed by none other than Lou himself. When asked how Tommy got away, Lou replies, "In installments." Because his story is so unbelievable, Lou is taken to Dr. James C. Turner (Paul Maxey), a psychiatrist, to be analyzed. As Bud and Lou team up to assist the invisible man, Tommy has Lou posing as champion boxer "Louie the Looper" while Bud acts as his manager, in order to learn whether or not mobster Morgan (Sheldon Leonard) and Boots Marsden (Adele Jergens) had anything to do O'Hara's murder.

Released at the time during their declining years at Universal's top comics, ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET INVISIBLE MAN is not only a pleasant surprise, but one of the team's finer efforts of the 1950s. What's even more surprising is seeing how Costello, still playing a dopey guy, at one point stepping out of character by seriously punching out one of the bad guys for throwing a knife on Tommy. Aside from the team's well written verbal byplay and some in-jokes (Lou looking through his magnifying glass and getting a close-up on Tommy Nelson's face, telling Bud he saw Frankenstein), the gags involving invisibility work quite well with the story, thanks to David Horsley in the special effects department. Great comical moments find Lou in the Bubble Room restaurant attempting to eat his spaghetti dinner while strings of it end up over the direction of his transparent client; Boots convincing Lou to "take a dive" through her love making; and the highlight set in the boxing ring where Lou's punches never hitting his opponent, Rocky Hanlon (John Day), but by an invisible fist of Tommy Nelson. This scene is well staged and quite amusing. The only debit in general is where Lou finds himself walking the wrong way because his feet are on backwards. Don't ask.

Unlike the last installment, THE INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE (1944), this edition is actually consistent with both THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933) and THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS (1940), in fact, a partial remake to the 1940 sequel involving an innocent man (Vincent Price) becoming invisible to clear his name with the help of a scientist but minus the assistance of a couple goofy detectives.

Distributed on video cassette by MCA Home Video in the 1990s, and later on DVD a decade later, ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET INVISIBLE MAN had its share of cable TV revivals, notably on the Comedy Channel (1990s), American Movie Classics (2001-2002) and Turner Classic Movies (2004-2005). Though a worthy conclusion to "The Invisible Man" series, this is not the finish of Abbott and Costello meeting somebody, something or just simply anybody. Their next horror spoof was them meeting "Jekyll and Hyde" (1954) featuring Boris Karloff. While Abbott and Costello were recently failing to recapture their success from the early 1940s due to weak and tired material, their encounter with The Invisible Man is certainly no disappointment by any means. (***)
  • uds39 November 2003
    Personally, I LOVED this one. Up there in A & C's top 3 (I'll let YOU figure out the other two) What made this so good...other than the great "invisible" effects (done by John Fulton who was responsible for those in Universal's original THE INVISIBLE MAN), were the boys themselves who almost moved away from slapstick to semi-straight roles here. Bud and Lou play a couple of newly credentialled detectives assigned to a murder case, the suspect being a boxer (Franz is great here) Lou's sequence in the boxing ring...with the assistance of his "invisible assistant" is a side splitter. The effects if anything, top the original film. Their attempts to prove his innocence make for a very entertaining hour and twenty two minutes.

Most A & C fans recall this one fondly.
  • In rating this film I would like the video critic to have a copy of the

KID FROM BROOKLYN starring Danny Kaye, to run right after.

Some of the same themes are played out, and I prefer the heads

up acting of A & C to Danny Kaye. I think the character actors used

by Universal play the supporting roles better than the stars

selected by MGM. Also the adaptation of an invisible man theme

coming so soon on the heels of the Dracula, Wolfman and

Frankenstein combination keeps the comedy moving at a faster

pace. William Frawley plays his role far better than the usual

"ethnic Irish flatfoot" played by William Bendix and Donald

MacBride
  • One thing I can say about Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man is that here we know why someone would hire Bud and Lou as anything.

Bud and Lou are newly graduated private detectives from a school and a man on the run from a murder rap goes into the first office he sees that advertises what he's looking for. He's Arthur Franz, promising heavyweight fighter, accused of killing his manager. Franz is innocent and he hasn't any time to look for references.

Franz himself has a scheme. His girlfriend Nancy Guild has a scientist uncle played by Gavin Muir who is taking up the experiments that Claude Rains did in the original Invisible Man. In fact Rains's picture is in his office and his character is referenced. With the police on his trail, Franz takes the concoction that makes him invisible.

Now with Bud and Lou at his side Franz can try to get proof of those he suspects already. Because we know right away who the killer is, there's not a lot of suspense here. But there sure are a lot of laughs.

The funniest scene is of course the prize fight where Costello aided by Franz goes into the ring with the fighter Franz was supposed to take a dive against. Second funniest is mob moll Adele Jergens trying to seduce Costello.

Other good performances are Sheldon Leonard as the mob boss and William Frawley as the investigating detective on the murder that Franz is suspected of. The boys and their invisible friend really drive him to the brink. This was right before Frawley went into the I Love Lucy Show and immortality as Fred Mertz.

It's one of A&C's best of their later films and should not be missed.
  • Abbott and Costello in another of their "meet the monsters" series. They play a couple of bumbling private detectives who try to help a boxer named Tommy Nelson (Arthur Franz) who's been accused of murder. Tommy injects himself with the Invisible Man serum so he can avoid being captured by the police. Lou goes undercover as a boxer which leads to the film's highlight: a boxing match with an invisible Tommy helping Lou.

This is the boys' second best "meet" movie, behind the classic (and possibly best Abbott & Costello film overall) Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. It's also their best '50s movie. It's a really fun one with some exceptional special effects and a nice story that culminates in the legendary invisible boxing match. The usage of Claude Rains' picture on the scientist's wall is a nice nod to the first Invisible Man film. Solid supporting cast that includes William Frawley as a frustrated police detective and Sheldon Leonard as a crooked promoter. Terrific comedy.
  • ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN (1951) *** Fresh from detective school graduation, the boys' first client is accused murderer boxer Tommy Nelson (Arthur Franz) trying to clear his name by resorting to his fiancee's scientist father's invisible serum to ditch the cops led by crusty William Frawley. Funny blend of comedy and suspense with some decent photographic effects and the climactic boxing sequence with Lou in the ring (with help from The Invisible Man). ++ Trivia note: nice reference to the original Universal film "The Invisible Man" replete with a photo of Claude Rains' character Jack Griffin.
  • asta-47 October 1998
    could possibly be the second best movie a&c made besides frankenstein
  • Sheer brilliance in comedy and special-effects!Truly a Universal master-work!The ending (which I can't tell you about)is just great!One interesting part is that it pays tribute to the original invisible man movie.And Abbot and Costello are truly comical!
  • Abbott & Costello play Bud Alexander & Lou Francis, two recent graduates of a private detective agency whose first case involves helping fugitive boxer Tommy Nelson(played by Arthur Franz) who is wanted for the murder of his manager. Tommy insists he's innocent, and is aided by a scientist who has acquired the invisibility formula of the original Invisible Man(Claude Rains' picture is seen!) Of course, this formula causes Tommy to gradually go insane, but not before he helps Lou trap the real killers by assisting him in the ring, where he is now "Louie The Looper". Funny comedy makes up for not having Vincent Price by creating clever gags around being invisible, with good F/X and energetic direction. A worthy follow-up to "Meet Frankenstein"(and not a sequel either, just an amusing spoof.)
  • This was A & C's second attempt at using the "Universal Monsters" to provide a horror counterpoint to their comic antics. Obviously, after the logjam of monsters in A & C meet Frankenstein (including a bit with The Invisible Man at the end) this film couldn't compete. There's no Claude Rains here from the 1933 classic (or even Vincent Price), but instead an unimpressive Arthur Franz. Of course Rain's John Griffin character was dead by that film's end, and this story is as much about boxer Franz as it is about invisibility. It should be titled: 'A & C Meet The Invisible Boxer.' The link to the original is an almost "blink and you'll miss it" reference to "John Griffin's original formula" and a shot of a photograph of Claude Rains.

A & C play novice, fresh-out-of-school, detectives. By 1951 they both looked tired and dissipated, although Costello's earlier career as a stuntman helps him with the slapstick his aging body is put through here. Their characters get involved in helping the now invisible Franz clear his name of murder and bring down the boxing mob that did the actual killing (led by Sheldon Leonard doing his umpteenth slick New York-style gangster role). Frawley is the uncomprehending cop quite reasonably suspicious and alternatively disgusted with A & C. It's all pleasantly handled and features some terrific effects (for some reason Hollywood films, even way back then, could do invisibility tricks very well). The film moves along fairly fast at first, then slows down badly in the middle (lots of sitting at card tables and restaurants in order to do some invisibility bits but they go on too long, making the story and pace stiffen up). On the plus side for this film, the A & C comedy team benefits from having Abbott play things dumber than Costello at times, and also happily dispenses with those curiously violent and unfunny bits where Abbott rages and slaps at Costello. And Costello abandons most of his annoying baby-ish antics in this one (although at one moment he unaccountably starts sucking on a magnifying glass as if it were a lollipop--weird). And speaking of weird, the closing gag with Costello's legs is funny but makes absolutely no sense.
  • At the close of "...Meet Frankenstein," The Invisible Man makes a cameo appearance, so when it first came out, many may have felt that this would be a sequel. Of course, it isn't.

IMHO, the comedy team was on a roll, and this was one of their better efforts. The invisibility gag worked well throughout the film, and one sequence where Costello was working in a gym with a light punching bag was a high point.

Major spoiler: The closing sequence of the film was an unnecessary sight gag. Costello goes invisible for a few minutes, and when he can be seen again, he's been changed in a way that nothing prepared the audience for. And it wasn't very funny. The film would have been better without it.