User Reviews (228)

• Over the years, I've read a number of professional critics' reviews of this film; almost all were mildly to severely negative. And here's the interesting thing: I don't disagree with most of the individual carps. Yes, the movie is a piece of fluff. Yes,the usually dependable Danny Kaye is a bit weak in his performance. Yes, the plot mechanism for inserting many of the production numbers is lame. Heck, even the continuity is poor...I myself have discovered three noticeable continuity fluffs. But here's the thing. The movie works, anyway!!! Bing and Danny nevertheless make a likeable "Mutt and Jeff" duo. The supporting cast all holds their own, from a radiant (and surprisingly voluptuous) Rosemary Clooney, to the astoundingly agile Vera Ellen, to Dean Jagger's Patton-like General Waverly...they all hit their marks very well. The plot-line is unbelievable. Who cares? This is a feel-good Christmas Movie, for cryin' out loud! The production numbers are sheer fun, the plot doesn't get in the way of all the beauty and great music, the actors are obviously having a good time, and we're all allowed to window-peep on the shenanigans. This is the PERFECT movie to put on after Macy's Parade, while all those who don't like football are helping prep for the big Turkey Day meal. You sneak a bit of dressing or cranberry sauce, and watch a production number. The plot is so user-friendly, missing five minutes here and there doesn't hurt. Treat yourself. Discover why millions of views have made this movie a holiday favorite, despite the critics' opinions!
  • By 1954 the song White Christmas had become such a timeless classic that it was inevitable that a film would be made around it. And of course the star would be none other than Bing Crosby. But who to star with him.

Originally this was to be the third Irving Berlin outing for Bing and Fred Astaire. Then Donald O'Connor was to co-star, but finally Danny Kaye teamed with Der Bingle. Proved to be a felicitous combination.

By then Rosemary Clooney had worked in a few films well and more importantly, she had clicked with Crosby on the radio. Bing had teamed with several girl singers over the years, like Connee Boswell, Frances Langford, Mary Martin, Trudy Erwin, Carole Richards, Peggy Lee and a trio of sisters named Andrews. But he always said Rosemary Clooney was it for him and besides Mary Martin, the only other one who did became a leading lady for him.

It's not remembered because of the success of her solo career, but Rosemary Clooney started as a duo with her sister Betty who retired early to raise a family. So with Vera-Ellen as her sister in the movie, that was an aspect of the plot Rosemary could handle with ease.

The plot such as it is involves Bing and Danny as a song and dance duo who've expanded into the production end of show business. Through a little bit of a con game worked by Vera Ellen, the two meet a singing sister act like the Clooney sisters were. The sisters turn out to be headed to Vermont to work at a resort and the smitten guys go along with them.

Problem is there ain't any snow there. It's an unheard of 68 degrees Fahrenheit in early December. And the place is owned by Crosby and Kaye's former commander from World War II, played by Dean Jagger. He's about to lose his shirt and his pride. So our intrepid quartet go to work.

Irving Berlin's score for White Christmas is about half new songs and the other half from previous scores. That's how it was when you got Irving to work for you. Listen carefully even to the background music. You will not hear one note of a non-Berlin song.

One of those songs was a personal favorite of mine, Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep. I recall in grade school in Brooklyn it was a song that the teachers had us sing in the school assemblies. Little did I know that it was introduced by the guy who proved to be my favorite entertainer. It's a patented philosophical Bing Crosby song that he did best and it serves as a ballad to woo and win Rosie. Bing sings it and then Rosie joins him in the reprise.

Danny Kaye has two good numbers. The first The Best Things Happen While Your Dancing is clearly originally for Fred Astaire, though Kaye and Vera Ellen make a lovely couple on the dance floor. The Choreography number I think was also done for Astaire, but here dancer John Brascia does the complicated dance routine while Kaye sings. I'm sure Astaire would have handled both jobs had the film been made with him.

All the stars do the Minstrel Show/Mandy number, but Vera Ellen really shines in it. She was a great dancer, really sparkled in every film she did.

Besides Sisters, Rosemary Clooney has a grand torch ballad that sold a few platters for her in Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me. She had a wonderful singing voice and the most impeccable diction of any female singer ever. You don't miss one throbbing word on any of her ballads.

White Christmas was Paramount's first film done in their wide screen process called VistaVision. And of course it was proper that their number one star for over 20 years be in this film. Of course jokes about Bing's derrière and the wide screen got into the repertoire of a certain comedian named Hope.

Just like the song that inspired it, White Christmas has proved to be a timeless holiday classic and will remain so.
  • "White Christmas" is guilty of many of the sins catalogued by other commentators: its got a sappy story line, predictable plot twists, it plays outrageously for sentiment and patriotism (not your usual Christmas theme!). But I confess to having loved it from the first moment I saw it nearly a half century ago. I, too, like many, make it a point to view it every Christmas season, along with much better holiday fare such as "It's a Wonderful Life," "The Wizard of Oz," and "Miracle on 34th Street." I think, contrary to many folks, that Danny Kaye succeeds in the second lead role better than Fred Astaire did in "Holiday Inn," and while he isn't given an opportunity for his patented zaniness, he adds a thoroughgoing charm to the role that sometimes the rather stiff Astaire lacks.

Rosemary Clooney is lovely in the rather thankless role of the practical sister and was at the peak of her genius as a pop singer, Vera-Ellen does her usually charming thing, and Crosby! The master implants his genius in virtually every frame. In supporting roles veteran character actor Dean Jagger is splendid as the general, while Mary Wickes steals every scene she's in as the nosy hotel housekeeper, Emma. The singing and dancing are first-rate (even without Astaire), and the songs by Irving Berlin are among his very best, including a number of tunes written especially for the film. One that never ceases to charm me is the trifle, "Snow," sung by our four stars in the dining car of the railroad train bound from Florida to Vermont. What a magical moment, among many in this thoroughly delightful, if flawed, jewel.
  • Sisi14 January 1999
    Magic !
    I have watched this movie countless times over the years and it remains my all-time favorite.. Even now I cannot watch the last scene - when General Waverley enters the dining room and sees his old troop - without becoming teary-eyed. It is a great shame that Hollywood no longer makes movies of this quality .
  • I absolutely ADORE this movie! Have since the first time I saw it! Sure... some may classify it as simply a "feel-good" movie, but what's wrong with that? Some may also classify it as pure schmaltz, but the movie truly does have it's sad points... like the priceless look on General Waverly's face whenever he enters the room where everyone who had been under his division is awaiting his arrival!

The movie has a truly wonderful musical score, not to mention some VERY kick butt dancing!

Bing Crosby is charming as Bob Wallace, a calm and reserved, yet witty and delightful and wise-cracking, and somewhat cynical kind of guy. Bing truly performed to his greatest. And his vocal talent is enormous, not to mention evident throughout the entire movie! It's a real treat to see him crack up when he and Danny Kaye are performing their rendition of "Sisters"!

Danny Kaye is hilarious as Phil Davis, the foil to calm and cool Bob. Phil, too, is full of wise-cracks, and very intent on getting Bob to settle down. Danny gave such a life to his character, portraying him like no other! His best one liner was when a young blonde with voice like nails on a chalk board says to him (after his phoney engagment to Judy) "I sure wish it would happen to me!") to which he replies "So do I!"

Rosemary Clooney is absolutely riveting as Betty Haynes, the older of the two Haynes sisters. She is the most calm and most subdued. She is looking for her "knight on the white horse" in life. Rosemary played Betty to the fullest, making her every bit as believable as you could imagine! And that voice... GOLDEN! A gift from God! It's a true treasure to see her in her solo "Love (You Didn't Do Right By Me)". She's absolutely marvelous and extremely talented.

Vera-Ellen is refreshingly delightful as Judy Haynes, the younger and more naive Haynes sister. Judy is also the dreamer of the two. Vera-Ellen does a wonderfully through job of portraying Judy! She is a perfect foil to her older sister. And those dancing stems... to see her dance in numbers like "Mandy" and "Choreography" is a real treat! How ANYONE could ever dance as well as she is beyond me! She really did a great job in this movie, even better than her performance in "On The Town" with Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Betty Garrett.

A GREAT MOVIE!!!! GREAT CAST CHEMISTRY!!!! GREAT MUSIC!!!! GREAT DANCING!!!! WATCH IT AND YOU WILL SOON BE DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS!!!!
  • WHITE Christmas is one of the best holiday movies not to mention musicals to come out of Hollywood in the 1950's. It has great performances by the 4 leads (Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera Ellen) who act, sing and dance with effortless aplomb. Crosby and Kaye have some amazing comic set pieces. It also has Mary Wickes in one of her signature comic supporting roles. Criticism of the acting in this film is really off base--the movie requires a certain style and the performances reflect it perfectly. This is the kind of film that could never be made now and it contains all the genuine pleasures of the movie musical as developed by Hollywood. There are several wonderful scenes set in "supper clubs" which evoke a bygone era.

It has nothing to do with "real life" (what musicals do?) however it is completely charming, entertaining and satisfying. If you haven't seen it--I guarantee you will want to watch it every holiday season after you do.
  • I know, we've heard it all before, how the film, Holiday Inn is superior to this offering, but you'd never convince me of that! I adore this film, it's fun, innocent, lively, has wonderful tunes and a top-notch cast. My holiday viewing will never be complete until I've watched this film at least a half dozen times and probably more during the holiday season. It's one of those 'feel good films' and this Christmas fanatic highly recommends settling in with some good snacks and simply enjoying yourself and this true holiday classic. The DVD is a must-have, as it offers a wonderful commentary with the late-great Rosemary Clooney.
  • On all counts, this movie succeeds as sheer entertainment. I watched it with my sisters as a little girl -- and the tradition has been passed down to my two daughters, who look forward to the tradition of throwing "fake" snow around every year in the final scene (no spoilers here...)!

I have never encountered another movie that engenders such faith and respect among its followers. In fact, friends from across the country join me every year in watching it simultaneously as we chat about each scene in a chat room online. We call it "Cyber White Christmas" - and it allows us to celebrate and type away to our hearts content as we revisit the confection each year. Yes, we understand the film is confection -- and we trust and love it to be just so.

I will always smile when Danny rubs his elbow. When the Hanes Sisters come out in that heavenly blue. We'll forever gasp at Vera Ellen's skeletal frame -- and the single tap from Mandy that seems to go on forever, not to mention Betty's magnificently scalloped dress in New York as she croons "Love, You didn't do right by me.." And it's true: the best things really do happen when you're dancing -- a number that transports me to the sublime every single time...

In other respects, I live a fairly respectable ordinary life. But once a year, I'm a giddy schoolgirl as I watch this wonderful film with my family. I count this lovely film as one of my blessings, for sure. Mutual, I'm sure.
  • At the ripe young age of 28, I enjoy this movie more and more as the years go by. While it honestly has very few Christmasy scenes, no movie puts me in the Christmas mood more or faster than this one. For the humbugs that don't like it, they simply don't get it. It's heartwarming and delightful from beginning to end. Though somewhat cheesy, for a true fan, the cheese is just as good as the bread on either end. I personally fell in love with it because I'm a huge Danny Kaye fan, but the entire cast is wonderful. I grew up with movies like this thanks to my mother and grandmother, and I guarantee my kids will do the same. If you haven't seen it, do so. If you love it, grab some cocoa and join the rest of us in front the big screen. If you don't, then shame on you and a Merry Christmas anyway.
  • White Christmas is one of those movies you can just enjoy without having to think about why the characters act the way they do. The plot is very thin, and seems to be written just to hold the musical numbers together, but it makes for a very enjoyable movie indeed. Viewing this film has become a holiday tradition in my family, and it is great fun to quote memorable lines and sing along with Bing, Danny, Vera-Ellen, and of course, the incomparable Rosemary Clooney. We have a theater here in Austin that regularly shows classic films, and the year they screened White Christmas, there was a packed house, and everyone sang along with every song and yelled out lines, sort of like Rocky Horror Picture Show without the dressing up. White Christmas is just a fun movie, and I highly recommend it for holiday viewing. The Irving Berlin songs, the dance numbers, and yes, the "schmaltz" are just the right combination to put even the Grinchiest person in the Christmas spirit.
  • Sorry, Jimmy! My apologies, Alistair! My all-time favorite Christmas was, is, and always will be, "White Christmas." First of all, there's that wonderful Irving Berlin score. "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep" and "Sisters" have become standards, of course. But, towering above them all, is Bing Crosby's definitive performance of the beloved Christmas favorite that he practically owned. All the performances are top-drawer, what with Bing, Danny Kaye (In a role meant for Donald O'Connor), Rosie Clooney, Vera-Ellen, Dean Jagger, and Mary Wickes, who, as you can see here, was playing nasty old things even when she was a nasty young thing!

Corny, syrupy, kitsch. Perhaps it is all of that, to some. But, to unashamed sentimentalists like me, "White Christmas" will always be THE all-time great Christmas movie, particularly when viewed by the whole family, on Christmas Day, in front of the fireplace.

God bless Bing, Berlin, and company, for making a lot of Holidays that much happier, including those of the Sorrentino family!
  • The music of Irving Berlin, one of America's most distinguished composers of the 20th century, is at the center of this pleasant holiday film, that if one is to judge by the comments submitted to this forum, is a perennial favorite of audiences that discover this charming movie, or just go back to visit from time to time.

Directed by Michael Curtiz, a versatile man; he was at ease with drama as well as comedy, or musicals. He shows a light touch that helps make this a cherished film for movie fans of all ages. Based on material by another great team, Norman Panama, Norman Krasna and Melvin Frank, the movie is light as a feather. The film is sort of a variation on the theme, "let's put on a show", or even, "if we stage it, they will come", we know how it will end, but we feel good, and enjoy it even though we know the plot by heart.

The main reason for watching, besides Mr. Berlin's wonderful tunes, is hearing those standard songs delivered by the likes of Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney, who were at the top of their careers. They had such wonderful and melodious voices, they enhance the songs they interpret. The story is just a pretext to bring together the talented principals plus Danny Kaye, Vera Ellen, Dean Jagger, and the marvelous Mary Wickes, in a film that will delight anyone, anytime, but especially at Christmas.
  • This film is good, clean entertainment for the holidays. Not just a story of boy meet girl, fall in love etc., this film focuses on service and good holiday spirit. There is lots of great singing and some good dancing. Reminicent of the holiday hustle and bustle. This is truly a classic film. On top of that, with legends like Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye involved, there's bound to be great stuff.
  • Watching White Christmas is like a remembrance of past nostalgias. It all brings me back to a time when I was young, where Christmas was the single most magical event there ever was. It was a time of endless and unbreakable euphoria, a feeling nearly unattainable with my age. And yet, this film managed to incite even more from me. Through its difference it comes to represent not only the past, but also the present. To show how these past nostalgia have shaped us into a hopeful and wiser version of ourselves, making me all the more grateful for today. Hidden beneath this glamorous portrayal of Christmas and performance, is something of true human sincerity and the ever present love for the moment, propelling the film into something extraordinary.

First off, one aspect that sticks out about this film is it's dialogue. Upon hearing the back and forths it is all purely fun! The dialogue is witty and always feels as if it's consequential, as it's constantly building up to the next event. However, the main staple is how revealed these characters become through communication. Every piece of banter between each character gradually leads up to one being sincere. Slowly but surely the essence of each character begins to break through. We can't help but feel that they actually pondered the situation with the intelligence of a real person and simply stated what they felt deep down. It's a testament to this film on how much it respects and communicates the true human essence of each character. In a way, and like all great films, the dialogue felt like a reflection of real life. How so many of our conversations feel light hearted, with an emphasis on humor, and yet it's through these discussions that staples of who we truly are end up seeping through.

It's because of how well defined each character is that the humor with it worked all the better. It's like a sitcom cast that you're well acquainted with. It's not the specific joke written, but the character actually saying it. The feeling that these real people, with all their complexities known to us, are actually saying these lines as if it was thought up in the moment. This can't help but propel life into it, containing the human aspects lacking on paper.

Another notable aspect is its cinematography. In this case the camera felt like a character. It always seems to be reacting with the most insightful responses. It pans from thing to thing, highlighting the individual in the room and detailing them through their telling movements. It also embodies the mood of the room. This is ever present when the said mood is romance. The camera always seems to start with a subjective wide shot, encompassing the characters within a large room, as it seems to get seductively closer and closer. Pretty soon it's all built up to the max of anticipation. And then they kiss, making us feel as if it was truly worked for. But it's not all personal. There's glamour to the musical numbers, as these fantasy like moments are perfectly communicated through the camera that seems to soar as it takes up each bit of beautiful scenery. It all then becomes fulfilled with the beautiful and seamlessly intricate dances.

And of course, the dancing and music is perfect. This is all obvious when including such professionals. Of course it will be perfect! But what about the "why" of it? How does it communicate the present emotions of the story? Well, pretty amazingly and it's the reason why it holds up so much as a musical. The dancers themselves felt suave, respectable, and yet harnessed this child like fun to it all. They use this to perfectly communicate the almost funny feelings of love, the unrelenting and yet seamless energy towards passion, and (most beautifully) the true joyful feeling of the present moment, where everything right seems to hit you all at once. Music all adds to this, through its communication of the joyfulness, the melodrama, the energy, and the liveliness of Christmas! It's all very glorious, as both communicated these feelings far greater than it could have been done any other way.

As I write this now it is Christmas Eve. Having seen this movie I feel as if part of my past spirit of childhood has been restored to me. I'm bewildered on how much a film like this could instill into a person, and I'm so grateful to have seen it. As I go to bed tonight, restless and anticipating Christmas Day, I have no doubt that I'll be counting my blessings instead of sheep.

And on a final note: Happy Holidays to whoever is reading! Whether you be young or old, or have the holiday spirit or not, I wish you the best!
  • I have watched White Christmas about 100 times, the reason is Vera Ellen .I have never in the thousands of movies i have seen,witnessed a dancer of Vera Ellens ability. Vera mesmerises me every time i see the movie.Don't just take my word for it,watch White Christmas a few times and watch Vera Dance i guarantee you will never witness a dancer male or female that comes close to Veras excellence.Danny Kaye is superb Bing sings with so much ease ,with that fabulous voice.Rosemary Clooney looks gorgeous and her voice is a thrill to listen too.I shall watch White Christmas many times in the future and Vera Ellen will continue to be the star as far as i am concerned.
  • wintermoss15 December 2002
    i've just finished watching "white Christmas" for the jillionth time and loved it as much as i ever have.

it may have a weak plot, it may have continuity problems, it may not be as good as "holiday inn" or have any number of other problems.... but it has a lot that sets it apart and makes it the classic film that it is and deserves to be!

it is "true." it speaks to the real comradeship and love that men who have bonded in war feel for each other. (if you don't believe me, ask any namvet who understands him better--his wife or the men he served with.)

it presents men who are partners and who value each others opinions on how they run their business/act. it presents sisters who love each other--and are willing to give up their own dreams for each other. it presents a man who has served his country, is raising his granddaughter and now, in retirement, is about to lose everything thru the vagaries of weather.

all of these people are willing to sacrifice of themselves in order to help each other. they are human and admit to making mistakes...and then rectify them.

it is about love and caring and giving. it is the truest sort of Christmas story. it is about the TRUE spirit of Christmas.....

and it gets there in a very entertaining way...despite whatever flaws it may have.

the music is wonderful. the costumes are wonderful. the staging is entertaining.

it makes me smile and warms the cockles of my heart....... we have too few movies these days that do that. especially Christmas movies.......
  • misspaddylee18 October 2004
    I would call myself more of a "Holiday Inn" than a "White Christmas" fan. Bing, Fred, the great dancing and the gift of the song White Christmas to a war weary world. However, last Christmas Eve my 13-year-old daughter and I had "White Christmas" on the TV as we wrapped last minute gifts. My daughter commented "I think White Christmas is the best Christmas movie because there are no little kids, no angels or miracles. It's just the story of four people (the entertainers) trying to do something nice for somebody (the Major)".

I'm still more of a "Holiday Inn" fan, but now have a new fondness for "White Christmas".
  • I HAVE REVIEWED OVER 400 (C H R I S T M A S ) MOVIES AND SPECIALS.

BEWARE OF BOGUS REVIEWS. SOME REVIEWERS HAVE ONLY ONE REVIEW. WHEN ITS A POSITIVE REVIEW THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THEY WERE INVOLVED WITH THE PRODUCTION. NOW I HAVE NO AGENDA! I AM HONEST! I REVIEW MOVIES & SPECIALS AS A WAY TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT I HAVE SEEN!

Can you believe it? I have seen over 400 "Christmas Movies" and I finally saw "White Christmas" last night. I know that after "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol" "White Christmas" must be one of the best known Christmas theme movies.

For some reason I avoided this movie. I think I did see parts of it over the years but it never held my interest. It had to be 30+ years since I last saw clips from the film. Now in 2017 I finally saw it all the way through and I am glad I did. Its a fun film but, not great film. I think however the older you are the more you will enjoy it.

On Christmas Eve, 1944, somewhere in Europe, two World War II U.S. Army soldiers, one a Broadway entertainer, Captain Bob Wallace (Bing Crosby), the other an aspiring entertainer, Private Phil Davis (Danny Kaye), perform for the 151st Division. But, word has come down that their beloved commanding officer, Major General Thomas F. Waverly (Dean Jagger), is being relieved of his command. He arrives for the end of the show and delivers an emotional farewell.

Years later they run into the General who now own & runs a resort. The resort is struggling. They vow to help save his resort.

The film is well worth seeing. Rosemary Clooney was a great singer and she shines in this. Watching Vera Ellen dance is worth the purchase of a DVD.

Now if you are under 30 you might not like this. However the older you are the more you understand the motives of the people in the film.

Don't miss this!
  • Although Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" deserves its place among the pantheon of Christmas movies, this comparative confection from 1954 still deserves special mention. Granted the plot, what there is of one, is rather thin, it is splashy good fun directed by the dependably versatile Michael Curtiz with several Irving Berlin standards and four superb variety performers in their prime. As much as Capra's film is an annual tradition, it is really this film that I look forward to the most of all the holiday classics.

The storyline focuses on two former soldiers, Bob Wallace and Phil Davis, both song-and-dance men who become best friends when Davis saves Wallace from a falling building during WWII. After years of post-war success on Broadway and the nightclub circuit, they become reconnected with their gruff but lovable former army commander, General Waverly. The general now owns a Vermont ski lodge, but he is treading water financially since there is no snow as Christmas approaches. As it turns out, the Haynes sisters, Betty and Judy, are playing the lodge during the holidays, and of course, romantic entanglements ensue all the way through the big finale when all four star in a show that they hope will save the general's lodge.

All of this seems rather incidental to the musical numbers showcased in the then-revolutionary widescreen process called VistaVision. The most relaxed of actors during this era, Bing Crosby plays Wallace with his natural élan, and he croons the classic title tune early on and leads the group sing of the same song at the end. In contrast, Danny Kaye plays Davis with his mercurial style intact, though compared to his other films of the period, he is relatively subdued here. With her smoky, silken vocal skills on display, Rosemary Clooney plays Betty, Wallace's love interest, with aplomb and complements Crosby easily on "Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep)". She also delivers a nice torchy Berlin tune with "Love, You Didn't Do Right by Me" despite some silly man-choreography.

I have to say the most impressive performer of the quartet is Vera-Ellen, a phenomenal dancer who was the equal of Astaire and Kelly at her peak. She makes even Kaye look good in their musical duets - "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" and the amusing Martha Graham riff, "Choreography". However, her best numbers are with dancer John Brascia - the elaborate "Mandy" number where her pliable, slender frame seems to be everywhere on the screen, and the brief rehearsal number, "Abraham", where she and Brascia snap, pop, clap, kick and swing with unerring military precision. It's worth noting that her singing is dubbed by vocalist Trudy Stevens, which is pointed out by Clooney on the less-than-informative audio commentary track in the DVD package. Much better is the 16-minute retrospective interview with Clooney where her natural sense of humor emerges.

There are other numbers worth mentioning in the movie - the duet, "Sisters", done first straight by the women and later by the men as a comedy routine in half-drag (Kaye steals this bit handily with his over-the-top clowning); the foursome on the vintage Berlin "Snow" and "Gee, I Wish I was Back in the Army"; and of course, the title tune at the end. Way over on the sidelines, Dean Jagger lends his warm dignity to the role of the retired general, and Mary Wickes plays Emma the housekeeper in her typically sarcastic manner. Special mention needs to be given to Loyal Griggs's vibrant Technicolor cinematography, which makes the entire movie look appropriately like a bright red candy box, and the print transfer in the DVD almost fully captures the original visual quality. This is undemanding entertainment and a dependable holiday classic that feels like a favorite well-worn blanket.
  • "White Christmas" has to be one of the most wonderful holiday musical films ever made. Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney give great performances and Crosby's "White Christmas" is the best song in the film. After watching this you'll feel a great amount of holiday spirit. The snow, the songs, the music. You just get a good feeling. Watch it, your holiday will brighten. :-)
  • White Christmas is one of the best movie musicals of all times. The cast is a exquisite gathering of talent. The story covers music, theater, comedy, and drama; it is an exceptional classic. It would be hard to find another selection with the same synergy.
  • It seems every Christmas this is one movie I must watch, and never tire of it. The cast I thought was mismatched, Danny Kaye was a poor substitute for Donald O'Connor, yet he makes the character he plays so likeable that you can't help but be drawn to his character. Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby dressed as girls has to be seen to be believed. They make the " sisters " song take on a whole other meaning.

This is a picture that shows the magic of Christmas. The last scene with the general brings a tear to the eye. Once again this proves that musicals leave you with that special feeling.
  • Story: original, sentimental, wonderful.

Songs: memorable, melodic, fun.

Vera-Ellen's legs: COLOSSALLY PHANTASMAGORICALLY GORGEOUS. I was riveted from the moment she does her first twirl. And the early number of "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" features quite possibly the first pole dancing routine ever filmed in Hollywood. Amazing, simply amazing stuff. I can't believe I had never heard of Ms. Vera-Ellen before, and I can't believe her career was so short (barely 10 years long). You must see her in action. You simply must.

That is all you need to know.
  • I am surprised at the number of people who continue to say "White Christmas" is a remake of "Holiday Inn". Granted, both films include Irving Berlin songs, Bing Crosby, and the song "White Christmas", but otherwise it's all different!!

I happen to like the film, "Holiday Inn", very much, and I like this film as well. But,the characters are different, the plot is different, and so are most of the songs.

Both films are holiday classics. Each film can be judged on its own merits.

There is one additional comment I'd like to make. Irving Berlin was a shrewd businessman as well as a great composer. For various movie studios, he'd pitch ideas for films (using his music of course and getting film credit above the title), and then not only write new material but revive some of his old songs. This was a very smart way of making money by re-popularizing mostly forgotten songs. By the way, the composer makes money every time his song is played on radio or TV.

Not only is "White Christmas" an example, but also "Alexander's Ragtime Band", "Blue Skies", "Easter Parade", and "There's No Business Like Show Business".
  • Every time I see White Christmas, I think of what a special generation my godparents' is. This is a warm, admittedly sentimental movie, that just plain old makes you feel good. Today, that is not such a bad thing.

I agree with the previous post about what a great scene it is when the general walks in. But the scene that moves me even more, and to me is a great piece of camera work, is when the cast begins singing White Christmas again (after the large doors have been opened to expose the snow). As they sing, the camera pulls back and over the tables to show different people at each table rising to toast each other. It is a remarkably poignant scene for me. Friends toasting old friends. I tell you it brings a tear to my eye every time and makes me want to go out to dinner with friends and toast them to let them know what they have meant to me in life. Something like this actually happened. On my god parent's 50th anniversary, we took them for a weekend at the Lodge at Pebble Beach in Carmel. During the dinner, someone came in and played "I'll be Seeing You" for them on the piano as they danced. Wasn't a dry eye in the house.

That may be a little deep for such a light movie, but it is what makes is work for me. Any movie that makes you appreciate the important people in your life is all right in my book. I give it 9 out of 10.