• Give me a break! The commentary for this movie cracks me up...why don't you nay-sayers give a second to remember WHEN it was made? It's one of the best examples of 50's drive-in treasure in collective memory. This silly yet earnest little movie has wormed it's way into the consciousness of anyone who's ever seen it. Paul Blaisdell's Venusian Carrot remains one of the most memorable aliens to ever grace the screen! Add to this total piece of weirdness one of Beverly Garland's best performances, most memorable in her first sighting of the Carrot: "So that's what you look like.....You're ugly!!!". Where was her Oscar for delivering this line with total conviction (and a straight face?) Yes, there was life before bloated CGI computer effects, and this superior potboiler proves yet again that once upon a time, imagination and ingenuity could work wonders. One of the all time-great sci-fi movies!
  • A lot of people slam Roger Corman and try and act like every movie he made was worthless schlock, but while he definitely did make a few stinkers in his long career, the truth is that he was involved with more good than bad movies, either as a director or a producer. In fact, some of the movies he directed were better than just "good" e.g. 'The Trip' and 'Bloody Mama'. His early reputation mainly rests on his quickie monster movies, and 'It Conquered The World' is one of the most entertaining. So okay, it a low budget movie (and I mean LOW), it's very naive and the special effects are poor. The Venusian monster and the flying bat things will probably inspire fits of giggles in most people, but despite all that the movie has lots of energy and it hooks you straight in. It's also helped enormously by having an above average cast. The two leads are Peter Graves and Lee Van Cleef. Graves later became immortal on TV as Mr. Phelps in 'Mission: Impossible', and Van Cleef became a Western icon via his work in movies such as 'The Good, The Bad And The Ugly' and 'Death Rides A Horse'. Van Cleef gives an intense performance as a scientist obsessed with communication with aliens. Graves is his more level headed colleague. When Van Cleef intercepts messages from an extraterrestrial that only he can hear, his wife (Beverly Garland) and Graves think he is cracking up. He co-operates with the alien, helping it to try and take over the world. Garland is best known to most people for her later work on TV (e.g.'My Three Sons'), but boy is she sexy here! Hubba! Hubba! Being a Corman movie we shouldn't be surprised to see Dick Miller in the supporting cast. He plays a soldier, as does Jonathan Haze (Seymour in 'Little Shop Of Horrors) 'It Conquered The World' isn't up to the standards of such 1950s SF classics as 'The Incredible Shrinking Man' or 'Invasion Of The Body Snatchers', but it's lots of fun, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys b-grade movies from this period.
  • This is an entertaining, well acted, well edited film of its genre. Classic anti-communist fear, rubber monster, Roger Corman trash fun.

Heavily cut on its initial release. BEWARE, the only available DVD release from Siren Entertainment (coupled with Creature from the Haunted Sea) retains these cuts. 29 cuts in total including ALL IMAGES of the monster! Ludicrously, while all images of our rubber friend are removed, most of the human to human violence, some of which is quite strong, remains.

I will never understand censorship ! Where Siren entertainment got this copy from I do not know. The film deserves a restored, uncut release.
  • In spite of the ridiculous, cucumber alien monster (which is fortunatedly kept off-screen through most of the film) this is actually an intelligent science-fiction thriller that's very much in an OUTER LIMITS vein.

Misanthropic scientist Lee Van Cleef makes contact with a being from Venus who promises to save mankind from his own self-destruction. Cleef paves the way for the alien to come to Earth, where it hides out in a hot springs cave outside of a small, remote Southern Californian town. Upon arriving, the being (or should I say invader) proves to have sinister plans of its own.

This early Corman quickie is quite good as long as you're not evaluating it based by today's high-tech standards. It's naive and unsportmanslike to condemn a film just because it was made decades before CGI was even invented.

The film has a certain disquieting mood about it. The remote setting adds to the sense of paranoia and isolation, and though the plot is sometimes critizied as being awkward, that tells me that the critic may be a short attention span member. You need to put some brainwork into your film viewing if you wish to gain any savory qualities from it. Whining because a planet isn't exploding every other minute is very superficial, and true science-fiction isn't for the shallow non-thinker who only has instant, immediate gratification on his non-mind.

A subtle sense of terror builds throughout (similar to INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS) as nearly the entire cast meet unspeakable fates. The story carrys a pertinent cautionary message: Blind devotion to a utopian ideal can lead to the worst kind of disillusionment and tragedy. History has taught us that many times over. Science-fiction is meant to be provocative and not just shallow, forgettable entertainment.

Sure, if this film had a higher budget, and perhaps a little more script polishing, it could have been one of the top fifties science-fiction films. As it is, it's interesting with intriguing possibilities, and as long as YOU haven't been taken over by high-tech effects and sales hype, you may find it worth taking a look at.
  • preppy-34 May 2005
    Sci-fi about a creature from Venus coming to Earth. A scientist (Lee van Cleef) gets in touch with it through some machine. He believes the creature wants to bring peace and helps guide it to Earth. Naturally the creature wants to possess and conquer...

Infamous Roger Corman movie which has one of the silliest aliens ever filmed. It's also pretty stupid, dull in spots and laughable. But the acting is actually good (Peter Graves and Beverly Garland especially) and I DO find the alien at the end just...unbelievable. Also it does have two instances of over the top violence (for its time)--a man is set on fire and the thing gets its eye poked out (this is cut from some non-cable prints).

Not good but 100 times better than its remake "Zontar the Thing from Venus". And Garland and Graves ARE good. I give it a 5.
  • It conquered the world is one of my favorite sci fi movies of the 50,s.OK,so the monster is a little ridiculous looking but that just adds to the fun.Beverly Garland is terrific as lee van cleefs aggravated wife and she gives some great screams in her moment of terror.It,s eerie to see people you once trusted turn against you,not of their own volition of course.This movie has good murder scenes,people getting shot down and a great strangling scene,not to mention the monsters way of finishing off his victims.Try to catch this film.It,s corny but habit forming.
  • One of the most entertaining sci-fi/horror films of the 50s. Very much camp with 3 all-time great B-actors (Garland, Graves, Van Cleef, one of the best B-casts ever). I love every minute of it. Includes John Haze and Dick Miller as army grunts and an out of this world monster by the now-legendary Paul Blaisdell. The best scene is where Beverly Garland confronts the monster from Venus: "You think you can make a slave of this world? Well, I'll see you in hell first!"

Fans of the Sergio Leone "Fistfull of Dollars" flicks should enjoy seeing Lee Van Cleef as a scientist who's betrayed the planet earth by helping the monster come to this planet and take over the show. Apparently, however, the "World" in this case consists of the environs of Grifftih Park and a few houses up on Coldwater Canyon. The monster is exceptionally poor -- you can see Blaisdell shoving the bat creatures out of the bottom of the suit.

This is a must-see for anyone with a sense of humor. It is not a bad movie -- it is a witty, fun, romping good time.
    While It Conquered the World can't compare with some of the best sci-fi from the 50s, it's still a fun movie if you can get past the special effects. The plot is straight out of the 1950s Guide to Sci-Fi/Monster Movies. An alien comes to earth with the intention of taking over the place. The alien uses some sort of bat looking things to help him gather "volunteers" to his cause (they hit them in the back of the neck and inject them with some mind-control device). The biggest difference between the plot of It Conquered the World and other similar movies is that one character, Dr. Tom Anderson (Lee Van Cleef), is in communication with the alien and willingly tries to help him. This brings the whole Red Scare subtext found in a lot of these movies to the front as Dr. Anderson's friend and colleague Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves) calls him a traitor. Being called a traitor (i.e. a commie) was about as bad as you could get in the 50s.

One thing that elevates It Conquered the World is the cast. You don't expect (at least I don't expect) to see names like Peter Graves, Lee Van Cleef, Beverly Garland, and Dick Miller in the same low budget Roger Corman film. I can't think of many movies shot on this kind of budget with four names I'm so familiar with. Corman really had a knack for spotting young talent.

The less said about the special effect the better. The monster is not as bad or poorly thought out as something like Ro-Man from Robot Monster, but it comes close to being just as silly. It Conquered the World might have benefited from not showing the monster. I recently watched The Space Children and noted that Jack Arnold was wise to limit his monster's screen time. What I wrote for that film applies here too – "Too often, low-budget sci-fi films from this period look ridiculous because of the desire for elaborate special effects (i.e. monster and aliens) that outstripped the funding it would require."

In the end, while you can certainly find better sci-fi from the 1950s than It Conquered the World, you can just as easily find much worse. This one is about average but worth at least one look if you're into this kind of thing. You might want to check it out just to hear Peter Graves closing speech – "Man is a feeling creature, and because of it the greatest in the universe. He learned too late for himself that men have to find their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. When men seek such perfection they find only death, fire, loss, disillusionment and the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to our misery but it can't be given, it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from Man himself." It's worth the price of admission if you ask me!
    This movie was originally given an 'X' rating in England, and was almost banned. This was in reaction to the violent treatment of the alien at the movie's end (it's shot many times and has a blow torch put to its right eye).

The concern was not over the violence itself, but rather that an "animal" was its object. The movie's director argued the alien was not an animal, but rather an intelligent being. Incredibly, based on this redefinition of the alien the ban was removed.

The movie itself? It's lots of fun with some good and familiar actors. If you're old enough to have seen this type of movie as a kid it'll bring back some pleasant memories.
  • Bucs196020 August 2002
    Go easy on this movie.......hell, it's the only time that Lee VanCleef gets to have a wife who actually likes him (at least for a little while). And it's Beverly Garland!!!.... at her sexiest, with her pointed padded Maidenform bra. What a babe! This is such a fun movie and a good one of its type......the black and white, 50's, paranoiac, cheesy monster "B" flick. There were so many of this type film being made during the 1950's and there are some that are a lot worse than this one. Sure, the monster is a hoot but it worked for the audiences at the time. The stories were always the same......an outerspace entity (a carrot,cucumber, crawling eye, etc) comes to take over the earth, even though there is only one of them (wouldn't it take a long time to overpower the entire world population?). Additionally, they always use a scientist as their champion who is so obtuse that he doesn't realize what their game plan is and who always get killed in the end. So it's predictable, cheap, and overacted........so what! It's a lot of fun and there is a subculture of us out there who love this movie and all the others of the genre. The next time it shows up on TV, give it a look.....you won't regret it!
  • A well meaning scientist guides an alien monster to Earth from Venus, so that he can rid mankind of feelings and emotions -- but only death and sorrow results.

Yes, this is a terrible movie by any real standards. Once you see the monster (or cucumber, or whatever it is) that allegedly "conquers the world", you will instantly know this is not a film to be taken seriously.

But, of course, that is sort of the point. Roger Corman built his reputation on cheesy science fiction fun. He knew it was not terrifying, but that was not the goal -- grab some popcorn and a Dr Pepper, and just have fun!
  • I have always found Lee Van Cleef to seem to be a very limited actor. Of course, that is because of the roles he found himself having to play. There was not much he had to do in the spaghetti westerns except stand around and look blankly sinister. Then some years ago I found a copy of this film. I remember seeing it in the 1950s but had forgotten the cast. I remember thinking the film silly back then. Now as I have ripened into maturity ("A full grown nut" as Ralph Kramden said to Ed Norton)- or maybe I have just gotten ripe- I find I really enjoy this film. A good monster film is never about the monster. The film is about the people dealing with each other and the monster in that order. It Conquered The World fits that rule. The special effects simply do not exist. The alien is totally absurd in its appearance. However, I can ignore all that because of the acting and the plot involving the characters. I found Lee Van Cleef especially effective in this role and I enjoy watching him bring his character to life. He is struggling with his decision to assist an alien from Venus come to Earth to save us all from our jejune frivolities which inhibit human progress. He wants things to be better for people and thinks he has found a way through this alien being. He has his doubts and Lee is well able to act this conflict of doubt to our great satisfaction. Peter Graves is an actor you can count on to give a good performance even when he is not inspired. Dittos for the rest of the cast. In short, if you can ignore the cheap sets, absurd special effects, uninspired means of corner cutting due to lack of budget, and just enjoy the acting- a weakness for the lesser of the 1950s genre helps, too- I would recommend this film with the stated qualifications.
  • OK, it's got one of the goofiest monsters ever constructed, a toothy rubber cone that no one could possibly take seriously. Never mind that. This is a nifty little piece of Body-Snatchers style Cold War paranoia about free will and the fear of ideological slavery, with Lee Van Cleef wound *really* tight as the Brilliant Scientist On The Edge, a never-better performance by Peter Graves as his Heroic and Visionary Colleague, and Beverly Garland at her all-time coolest - 50's sweater and all - as the rifle-toting wife who storms into Zontar's cave to settle the hash of the beastie who stole her man. This is *good* stuff!
    A giant crawling turnip from Venus smooth-talks American scientist Dr. Tom Anderson (Lee Van Cleef) into organising a trip to Earth, whereupon the creature promises to save mankind from itself by eradicating human emotions. Of course, the ugly alien only intends to conquer the planet. Thankfully, Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves) isn't convinced by Anderson's good intentions and refuses to co-operate.

A cold-war-era sci-fi quickie from director Roger Corman, It Conquered The World is in the same vein as Invaders From Mars and Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, a thinly veiled warning for all of us in the West to keep an eye out for 'reds under the beds', those who might have been indoctrinated by Communism. While the idea isn't a new one, and the film's low budget doesn't allow for any fancy special effects or a decent creature (the Venusian is one of the goofiest looking monsters imaginable), Corman's assured direction ensures an entertaining movie nonetheless, the film's success helped by strong performances throughout (with a special nod for Beverly Garland as Anderson's wife Claire) and some unexpectedly strong violence (a cold-blooded shooting, a man burnt alive, and death for all of the women!).
    It Conquered the World seems to be trapped in a sort of sci-fi Twilight Zone. Though it has a sizable cult following that appreciates its quirky genius, there are many genre fans who dismiss it as b-grade schlock. Rarely mentioned on lists of science fiction greats from the fertile 50s, the movie nonetheless survives and continues to entertain genre fans today. That It Conquered the World is a b-movie is undeniable--indeed, it is a near-perfect example of the type--but its b-movie status doesn't mean it can't be good. And it is actually quite good.

The story of an alien intelligence that takes advantage of a disillusioned scientist to plot a takeover of Earth, It Conquered the World is incredibly ambitious. The globe-spanning plot was typical of science fiction from the period, but director Roger Corman didn't have the budget of War of the Worlds or Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers. Corman had to rely on imagination, and his audience's willing suspension of disbelief. Yes, the limited sets and small cast at Corman's disposal don't always do the story justice--crowd scenes are not particularly crowded, the military response to the emergency is about 1/100th what it should be, etc.--but as a result the more intimate drama becomes a fascinating character study, and the multi-layered plot works as both Cold War paranoia thriller and introspective morality play. Corman and writer Lous Rusoff (and an uncredited Charles B. Griffith) are working with a complex, thoughtful plot that belies the movie's b-level reputation.

And the cast does wonders with the story. Headliners Lee Van Cleef and Robert Graves are solid as the scientists whose friendship turns bitter once it becomes clear that Van Cleef has sold his soul to the devil in exchange for revenge upon a cruel world. The beautiful Beverly Garland is often singled out for her outstanding performance as Van Cleef's desperate wife, and her nuanced portrayal of a woman trying in vain to pull her husband out of the pit is indeed excellent, and with her gorgeous looks, charm, and a killer scream Garland is one sci-fi's earliest great scream queens. Often overshadowed by Garland's performance, Sally Fraser's role as Graves's benighted wife is nearly as important to the plot, and Fraser's transformation from a caring, decent woman to alien-possessed temptress is highly convincing. Dick Miller, a genre stalwart, plays an army sergeant whose platoon is hunting the alien down...but what can they hope to do to "It" if they find it? Critics often blast this movie's special effects, and there's no denying they really aren't that special. But the script doesn't demand a lot of dazzling pyrotechnics, except for the climax, and the lack of high-end spectacle doesn't really take anything away from the drama. The creature design for "It" is much-maligned, but there is something wonderfully malevolent about "It" that overcomes any shortcomings. In any event, "It" spends most of the film lurking in the shadows, where many cinematic monsters are more frightening anyway. Despite the lack of sophisticated FX, even by 50s standards, the story itself draws you inexorably in, and the effects, limited as they are, nonetheless work within the context of the overall plot.

Beyond the natural problems generated by the miniscule budget--most of which Corman manages to overcome--the film's biggest problem is pacing. The script, character driven as it is, is necessarily rather talky. Much of the dialog is vital to the surprisingly philosophical plot, but the relative dearth of action is a genuine weakness, and the film does feel rather longer than it really is. While there are moments of humor, the script generally takes itself quite seriously, and the performers do a good job of avoiding the temptation to surrender to parody.

It Conquered the World is hard to find these days, but if you can locate a used tape or catch it on late-night TV there are few sci-fi gems from the great 50s that can equal its ambition and creativity. Well-written, competently acted and imaginatively directed, It Coqnuered the World is one of the best b-movies ever made.
  • hrkepler5 June 2018
    "IT conquered the world," said Beverly Garland when she first time saw the prop of the monster on the set and then kicked it over. Yep, that's how ridiculous the monster looked, and the mysterious "It" doesn't look any good on screen either.

'It Conquered the World' is typical Corman's cheese fest at its finest, and great example how great of an actors Beverly Garland, Lee Van Cleef and Peter Graves actually were - they had to be in the top of their game to play through that pile of cheese with such a serious faces without looking ridiculous. The film has nice interesting premise - a disillusioned and naive scientist Tom Anderson (Van Cleef) helps an alien from Venus arrive to Earth and gain control. Chaos brakes loose when brains of some authoritative figures are taken over by hostile alien and rest of the people are taken 'under protective custody'. Scientist's wife (Beverly Garland) and his best friend (Peter Graves) are trying to talk sense into the mad scientist, while 'It' slowly gains more control over humans, until the fiend (who looks more like ice cream cone) is taken out heroic actions in real Corman's style. The film nicely plays with some interesting ideas, but never getting them properly developed or getting any full use out of them. Well - it is a Roger Corman movie, what else one can expect from his style of rushed production. The film is still highly entertaining, and Beverly Garland's powerful performance (did I really just said something like that about Corman's movie) has a lot to do with that. Peter Graves' Dr. Nelson's final overblown monologue about human nature over the montage of dead bodies dramatically over serious but somewhat eerie ending to this campy monster film.

Another fun exploitation flick, but with little bit substance (not well developed script, but rather on idea bases) under the covers of (extremely) cheap special effects and cheesy dialogues. In that department, 'It Conquered the World' surpasses most of modern big budgeted, glossy science-fiction extravaganzas with polished special effects.
  • One of Roger Corman's funnest films. It's a 1950s budget science fiction & horror film that I'm sure many teenagers and 20-somethings enjoyed at the old drive-in pictures shows during it's release.

These are cucumber-looking creatures are from planet Venus - and there aren't many of them left. They are somewhat logical but not completely - they have no feelings are emotions. They are using humans to kill one another - turning them into mindless slaves. This happened because Dr. Tom Anderson (van Cleef) was in contact with them and helped to guide them to our planet Earth. It is up to Dr. Paul Nelson (Graves) to help put an end to the destruction and deaths.

If you don't take this film seriously and just watch it for the fun of it then you might enjoy this Roger Corman feature.

• What adjective is best to use when describing a film where Peter Graves fights what looks like the Good Humor alien while also shooting its bat-like minions, ending with a speech about man's nature as being "feeling"? Well, if it was directed by Roger Corman, it has to be quirky!

Drama-wise, the film does well, even if it is an obvious steal from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" AND "The Day the Earth Stood Still". The male leads, Peter Graves and Lee Van Cleef, perform admirably, but it is Beverly Garland of My Three Sons who steals the show as Van Cleef's ever-suffering wife ("I won't love a monster, I won't!") And, of course, there's always the regular Corman cast of stock players, including the cute Sally Fraser, who unfortunately is shot (by her husband, no less - good gravy, this whole film is rather sexist! Killing off all the women characters? Pretty pushy, even back then.) And Russ Bender as the possessed general. And who would've suspected that Dick Miller and Jonathan Haze are the comedy relief soldiers? Let's hope those bat things aim carefully.
  • Roger Corman has given us so much as a producer/director, and this is one of his best. It was made during the terrors of the Cold War/Atomic Age era, and was even re-made twelve years later with John Agar.

We have a post-Fury, pre-Mission Impossible Peter Graves, a still-getting-started Lee Van Cleef. Marvelous humor from Jonathan Haze and Dick Miller. And the always hot Beverly Garland as Van Cleef's wife.

The monster, embarassingly bad by Paul Blaisdell, probably might scare my three year old grandson, but, that might even be a stretch.

Ronald Stein interlaces his excellent score with the events to heighten the excitement.

You can poke fun at the show's smaller production values, the monster, the paranoid atmosphere of the fifties, but, this is excellent entertainment.
  • Jared G.15 October 1999
    Only Roger Corman could truly explore the horrific implications of an evil vegetable! The acting isn't bad in this, considering the actors were being forced to take the ridiculous monster seriously. Graves and Van Cleef are both adequate and everybody loves Beverly Garland! Unfortunately, all the themes of the movie are stated in dialogue, especially the long moralizing speech at the end. My only problem with this is that it assumes the audience isn't intelligent enough to figure this out themselves. But oh well, there are a lot of movies that are much worse.
  • I'm a sucker for old B&W horror flicks.I remember the old 3 films and 10 cartoons as a kid and this was one of them. Beverly Garland was a Horror Queen to me,and Lee Van Cliff over acts,and Peter Graves shows why the Zucker Brothers put him in Airplane. Some may say its bad,I say YEAH!!IF you like those oldies,you'll love this.It delivers on the fems in peril theme as few others do.
  • I caught this movie on late night TV a few months back and I must say, I was laughing from beginning to end. From the endlessly entertaining dialog, to the downright ludicrous monster, this movie is an absolute winner, in a turkey kind of way.

Conjured up during the 50's heyday of sci-fi flicks and B-movies, I recommend this movie to anyone that is fan of this era in cinema. Makes me come to the conclusion that Roger Corman is God. I wonder if this set was used on other films, since Corman knew best how to get by on a shoestring budget. For the love of Pete, this is the same guy that made up to 9 films a year, eat your heart out Spielberg!! So basically, to those of you with a truly warped sense of humor, this movie is right up your alley.
    (spoilers) How was that pathetic alien supposed to conquer the world? By boring it to death, perhaps? This b-movie is SLLOOWWW. There are long, and I do mean LOONNGGG speeches from all of the characters while they sit or stand around on cheesy 50's living room sets. It's like watching your Philosophy 101 prof argue with the World Religions prof over the nature of being. Between times, stupid kites that sort of look like bats fly around and latch onto people so that they can take them over and scour them of all feelings. This is a lot like Heinlein's The Puppet Masters, only without the really good plot. Lee Van Cleef looks dour and depressed throughout the film, which you can't blame him for. He got a really thankless role in this one. Then there's B movie maven Robert Graves, playing a rocket scientist who offs his own wife because she's been possessed by the alien. he never even thought of just tying her up and going to kill the alien, then returning to see if she'd been released from its control once it was dead. My theory is that the character had wanted to get rid of his wife for years, and just used this as a good excuse to whack her. Only Van Cleef's wife gets a good role, as a truly kick butt female with a gripe against the alien vegetable. I won't even say anything about the horrible accent on the Hispanic soldier, although I kept expecting everything that came out of his mouth to be about 'badges'. As in, "We don't need no stinkin'..." The movie drags, but the worst part has to be Graves' arrogant pontificating at the end of the film. His wife, best friend, and best friend's wife are dead, along with his lab assistants and a lot of other people he's known for years. And he's giving bloody meaningful speeches?!! This ain't Hamlet, Graves. We don't need three hours of long winded tripe. Just shut yer yap and bury everybody you ever loved, o.k.!!
  • It Conquered the World (1956) concerns an embittered human scientist who guides an alien creature called Zontar from Venus to the Earth, so that it can bring peace to our troubled world by ridding humankind of its feelings and emotions. The scientist, however, is totally oblivious to the terrible consequences of his actions.

There's no escaping the fact that It Conquered The World is a low budget movie with special effects to match that will cause audiences to chuckle. This is more than made up for by the film's energy and its surprisingly above- average cast.

Despite its shortcomings, the film works on many levels including interesting characters and the moral choices they make, a complex and thoughtful plot as well as effectively playing on 1950s Cold War fears.
  • I think some Academy Awards should have been given out for this one, to Peter Graves, Lee Van Cleef, Beverly Garland, Sally Fraser and the rest for managing to keep straight faces through out the 71 minute running time of this Roger Corman camp classic.

There are nine of these vegetable Daleks from Venus left on that planet and they've been keeping up communications with earth scientist Lee Van Cleef. Van Cleef's a scientist who the world has seemingly passed by and he's been convinced that the arrival of these creatures who are possessing superior intellects to rule the Earth will usher in a golden age.

They move like the Daleks on Doctor Who with the same general shape accept they got banana like feet and crab like claws. The one that comes to earth on a stolen satellite has to live in a cave above a hot spring to simulate the Venusian climate. And he's earmarked eight control devices for some selected key people, one of them being Van Cleef's scientific colleague, Peter Graves.

It was acting of the highest caliber for this group of players to feign fear at this ridiculous looking monster. The monsters on the Power Rangers look more frightening. And Van Cleef and Garland's confrontations with the creature in the end will have you rolling on the floor.