• nsscmss30 August 2005
    I cannot say enough nice things about this movie, but rather than write about the movie, I will write about my brief meeting with Van Johnson.

Back in 1988, I met Van Johnnson by accident in a restaurant in NYC. I don't know what made me go up to him, but I introduced myself and began a conversation with him.

While Van could have sent me away, he interrupted his meal and told me to sit down. I told him how much I enjoyed the movie and that it was my favorite. He was flattered that someone as young as me liked the movie and also confided that it was his favorite movie as well, going as far to show me the coin from that movie that he continues to wear around his neck. We both left the restaurant at the same time, shook hands and he said it was a pleasure speaking with me.

It was a very special moment for me. The warm and sensitive person he portrays in Miracle in the Rain is an understatement. Van Johnson is more wonderful in person.
  • Reminiscent of the wonderful "The Clock" (see reviews), this wartime romance was made eleven years after the was over, somewhat oddly to me. But, based upon the ending, there was absolutely no way it could have been made during the war. The reasons should be obvious.

Van Johnson is his usual charming self and Wyman rather diffident at first. But they fall deeply in love, and spend much time on their plans for the future when he returns from overseas - and how poignant that turned out to be.

It is no spoiler to say that Wyman's character is completely distraught towards the end of the movie, and the "miracle", on the steps of St Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, does give her some hope. But it remains the saddest movie I had seen since "Waterloo Bridge" (see reviews). But such was life after a World War and hundreds of thousands of dead Americans.

Don't forget this was written (and very well) by the famous journalist, writer, and screenwriter, Ben Hecht, who first gave us "The Front Page".

If you don't mind using your hankie, watch "Miracle in the Rain". It's a wonderful movie.
  • It's been a long time since I've watched a movie and shed tears but this movie clinched it! What a beautiful film - it certainly plays with your emotions in such a poignant way. Jane Wyman's brilliant, grief-stricken performance makes your heart simply melt with sorrow and watching Johnson's impeccable performance made me forget that I have never been a Van Johnson fan; credit to him for a splendid, utterly emotive portrayal of the character he played in this film. These two leads and the supporting cast played their roles to perfection and I was so consumed that I failed to remember that they were actually acting.

The storyline of this film had me absorbed from the beginning through to its exquisite ending; it left me covered in goose bumps and literally I felt numb as the chills ran through me! Most significantly though, this film profoundly made me feel how important and precious my loved ones are to me as it helped nudge my dormant realisation that the uncertainty of life always surrounds us....we must not take anyone for granted and we must not take life and "faith" for granted.

As you have noticed I did not relate the plot of this movie as other reviewers have more or less done so. All I can say is that you should do yourself a favour and view this film - this is one film you need to watch at least once in your lifetime (and feel those chills and goose bumps!)....SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL.
  • Elizabeth-32826 July 1999
    This movie is wonderful! It really sympathizes with those who lost their loved ones during World War II. And Arthur is so friendly and outgoing, that you can't blame Ruth for falling for him. I think the end with the little Roman coin is so sad!

This is a great movie...one of the best! It's definitely my favorite Van Johnson movie. If you've never seen it, you've got to!

Therefore, I give "Miracle in the Rain" a 10 out of 10!!!
  • bkoganbing17 January 2010
    Miracle In The Rain is a good, but very strange film. You first start watching it and you think you're seeing a nice romantic film with a wartime setting. But it takes a very unexpected turn into the supernatural and in the end a miracle of sorts is actually performed. And right on the steps of New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Jane Wyman is a plain jane sort of girl whose life consists of going to work and then getting home to tend to her ailing mother Josephine Hutchinson. Years ago the man of the household, William Gargan, walked out on the family and left Hutchinson the cynical and sickly soul that she is. So when Jane meets soldier Van Johnson during wartime he proves almost too good to be true.

Their love is intense in the short time they have before Johnson ships out. After that the film turns, first tragic and then mystical.

Other members of the cast who aid and abet Johnson and Wyman are people like Fred Clark as Jane's boss at work, a rebound man from way back, Peggie Castle who is Clark's mistress on the job, Alan King and Barbara Nichols a soldier and his new bride who Johnson and Wyman meet in Central Park and making their big screen debuts are Eileen Heckart as Wyman's best friend from work and Arte Johnson who plays an office boy where the girls work. No fool he.

Warner Brothers shot this film in New York which is why Heckart and Johnson who were based in New York got to work in this. It would have been nice if we had some color, but the black and white cinematography was nice. No doubt that Francis Cardinal Spellman himself must have had script approval of the whole project in order to allow scenes inside St. Patrick's to be done.

Though dated somewhat Miracle In The Rain is still a fine piece of entertainment and its message about true love never dying is one for all generations.
  • debbsgate-112 September 2006
    I was just a young girl when I saw this movie for the first time. It was so moving and so sad that I never forgot it. The acting may seem alittle corny in this day and age but the story is wonderful, and the cast was excellent. I lost count how many times I've watched it over the years, I finally own a copy of it although its on VHS it's nice to know I can watch it again whenever I want. Would be nice if it was released on DVD. This is also one of my favorite Van Johnson movies. If I could compare it to a modern day movie that would be "Message in a Bottle" with Kevin Costner. Although it didn't have a miraculous ending it was a story of finding love and losing it so suddenly. If you like tear-jerkers both of these movies would fit the bill.
  • How can I obtain a copy?? Saw it when I was a youngster. It was the first time I stayed up to watch a late movie. It had me in tears. I remember being so happy no one else was up. It was not cool for a young man to be bawling his heart out watching a movie. I never saw it again, but I always remembered it. I really would love to own it or at least see it again. If there is a way to be notified when something is on television or where I can obtain the movie it would be appreciated. thank you very much. I did want want to write a book and ten lines were more than I need so this may appear stretched. I remember loving the movie and registered just to find out if the website could help to connect me to the movie in some way.
  • Okay, I first saw this movie when I was 15 years old. I was staying up late late one night on AMC. I started from the beginning and didn't leave my room till the final scene, where I was crying my eyes out over throughout the whole movie. I couldn't believe the masterpiece I had found and wanted to tape it so bad so I could watch it again. I checked every week every day on AMC so see when it was going to come back on again and it never did.

I am now 22 and am the happiest girl in the world. Through all my searching off the internet I am not the proud owner of MIRACLE IN THE RAIN on DVD nonetheless. It took 7 years and I finally own it.

I received it yesterday and watched it. I have forgotten so much about this movie. The relationship between Art and Ruthie. The one between her mom and his "lost" father. The moment I saw Ruthie and Art was the moment I remembered as a child watching in my room late that night. I especially loved Ruthies best friend, who's name I can't remember. I watched her earlier in "The Bad Seed," another great movie.

This movie will make you laugh, and cry. You will also sympathize with Ruthie and Her mom for most of the movie. The best scene to me is the one that is the killer. I can't spoil anything but you are gonna need some tissues at this point.

I highly recommend this movie for any one who loves the old b\w just like I do and are in the mood for a little love and a little sadness.
    I first saw this movie when I was 8 years old. I was staying with my Nanna for the school holidays and we both sat up and watched it and cried our eyes out. I had seen it a few times since but not for many years until last week it finally came up on Movie Greats on Foxtel.

It is one of the most poignant movies I have ever seen and Jane Wyman and Van Johnson are just great. It is also a great movie for spotting people in it who were later to become famous (ie Arte Johnson). Also the guy who plays the waiter in the Normandy Cafe is the croupier from Casablanca.

I always felt sorry that she never comes face to face with her father though.

One thing, however, I am never quite sure whether or not Jane Wyman dies at the end or she has just collapsed.
  • It is a wonderful and magical film, somewhat similar to one of my all-time favorites, "Portrait of Jennie". I might change a line or two, or a scene or two, but overall this is really something special. Very sad, but imbued with the truest of hope and happiness. Like "Portrait of Jennie", it is a truly religious film.
  • It's a beautiful movie and yes, it will bring you to tears. She's shy and yet she has a brief miracle of a romance with a wonderful man who opens up the world for her. There are many miracles brought out in the movie. I've enjoyed this movie since I was young. Jane Wyman and Van Johnson are terrific actors and they don't disappoint. This was a "small" movie in Hollywood terms but it leaves a lasting message of hope. One message is that God brings people together in mysterious ways for good purposes. (I'm going to check if this movie is available to buy, it's worth it.) I loved Alan King's small but great role in this movie and all the supporting actors were great, too. By the way, the object she holds when she dies is an old coin that she and he bought at an antique shop and he gives it to her before he deploys to the war. I watched many Wyman films when I was young and they were all good. She wasn't an "A-list" beauty but she was beautiful and never disappointed me. Check out her film list and you're in for a treat if you watch them.
  • A top-flight movie of its genre, the teary romance which "proves" that love conquers all--even death. From quite early on, the movie inexorably draws you in, causing you to hope for the unlikeliest of events to occur, namely, that just such a love will happen. As you follow the story, your optimistic side causes you to believe that the friendship between them will eventuate into an enduring passion. Your realistic side, however, keeps you aware of all that might go wrong and how this romance will likely end.

Still you watch it, mesmerized by the story. You overlook the errant sentimentalism and the unsubtle play on your emotions. Additionally, you ignore all the stock devices that the movie uses--the day in the park, the lighting of church candles, and the rain showers that happen whenever necessary. Perhaps the reason that it all works is actually a confluence of several factors: Ben Hecht's excellent screenplay, as well as Jane Wyman and Van Johnson's extraordinarily believable performances.

And yes, if you really try, you can effectively suspend disbelief and enjoy it all. I most certainly did,
  • soneill12 October 2006
    One of the finest of the "little" movies made in Hollywood's heyday, this b&w charmer about the power of love over death is rescued from the maudlin by a quirky script by Ben Hecht and fine performances, particularly Eileen Heckart's as the heroine's oddball best friend. the story of how a shy girl well on her way to spinsterhood and a kind and handsome young soldier fall in love in wartime new york, only to be cruelly separated by the boy's death on the battlefield, would be heartbreaking enough on its own. but it's what happens between them after his death that makes this movie something special. and, as it says in the closing credits, the story may even be true. so stock up on the puffs plus and see "miracle in the rain" the first chance you get—especially if you've ever lost someone you love.
  • bjelkier16 March 2014
    To Nick-313 and others that thought Mr. Johnson was a draft dodger: Van Johnson was in a bad auto accident and had a plate in his forehead. In some movies you can actually see the scars. That made in ineligible for the military. He also had a long recovery.

I enjoyed this movie. It may not be Casablanca or Gone with the Wind, but it is a nice little movie of faith and love. I especially like the co-stars, the priest and her best friend. And it was so poignant that her father finally comes home. Be prepared to have tissues for it is one of the best tear jerkers. Jane and Van were good together. Two lost souls who find love before he goes to war.
    A sentimental tragedy that will have you reaching for a hankie. Rain is as prominent as the romance of star-crossed lovers. Fate brings two unlikely people into each other's life; and just as easily comes between them. Ruth Wood(Jayne Wyman)is of plain appearance and is a lonely secretary that goes home every evening to take care of her mother(Josephine Hutchinson), who has been grieving ever since her husband left. During a cloudburst, Ruth by chance meets a happy-go-lucky soldier Pvt. Art Hugenon(Van Johnson). The young soldier from Tennessee is hard for Ruth to resist. The two are different as night and day; but it doesn't stop them from falling in love. Art ships overseas and is killed. Ruth falls apart physically and mentally. The finale takes place at St. Patrick's Cathedral during a rainstorm and thus the movie's title. A superb tear-jerker filmed in beautiful black & white; and the rain should share billing with Wyman and Johnson. Also in the cast: Eileen Heckart, Fred Clark, Alan King, Arte Johnson and Peggie Castle.
  • Miracle in the Rain has just been screened here in the UK and I am so pleased that I recorded it as I intend to keep it along with my growing collection of classic movies from the forties and fifties and watch it again and again.

The performances of Jane Wyman and Van Johnson were very moving and the ending was magical and moved me to tears!
    An avid collector of this type of film - there are only a couple of score of this type in the history of cinema ( Waterloo Bridge, Random Harvest, Portrait of Jennie, The clock et alia ), I recently felt very frustrated having missed out on this one for so many years. I saw it by chance on a DVD during a shopping trip here in Paris, read the plot, and promptly ordered it from the USA ( unavailable anywhere else in the world ). I was not disappointed by its initial viewing - indeed I seem to remember seeing in my childhood a terribly sad film along these lines, God knows what it was called, where there was a story of a broken love through the death of one of the partners but some solid object, a key, I thought was found in the hand of one of the lovers when the other had died. As my memories of the film are so sketchy, I wonder indeed whether it was in fact, Miracle in the Rain, the "key" having being replaced by a Roman coin. However, I do seem to remember a clock or clock tower playing having some importance ( nothing to do with "The Clock" - Robert Walker / Judy Garland ) but this doesn't seem to have any importance in this film. The music of Miracle in the Rain is wonderful, but I have been unable to locate any of the songs or themes on a CD, even those featuring themes from movies by Franz Waxman. I wonder whether any vocalist actually recorded the song 'I'll always believe in You" ? I have always been very fond of Jane Wyman as an actress notably through the films of Douglas Sirk, such as Magnificent obsession ( her best ) or All that heaven allows. I had not heard of Van Johnson before but thoroughly enjoyed his performance - indeed one of the interesting points of the film is the character difference between the two and how it enables them to be mutually attracted to each other. I was also very fond of the character of Wyman's friend Gracie - an honest, sincere, thoughtful and loving person. Basically the films seems to contain "real" human beings, so far removed from the majority of the pretentious characters in many of today's films. The church atmosphere is used to good effect, like in Random Harvest or Le Diable au Corps or Hitchcock's I confess. I hasten to add that I was in continuous tears from the middle of the film right up till the end and experienced the same kind of grief as watching the final scenes from "Love is a Many Splendoured thing" when Jennifer Jones wanders up the hill behind the Hong Kong hospital and "sees" her late love under that solitary tree. So I would advise all would-be spectators to ensure a plentiful supply of Kleenex before sitting down to watch this one. Thank God it has been issued on DVD - my only qualm is that the DVD only has English language and subtitles - OK for me but what about all those non English speakers who would love to (re)discover this film !
    Jane Wyman and Van Johnson star in this sentimental story in New York City about a young lady who lives at home to take care of her mother. Years ago, her father left them and her mother had a nervous breakdown of sorts, trying to kill herself. The mother, played by Josephine Hutchinson, has been house-bound ever since. With Jane's own quiet and shy disposition already, this leaves Jane to go to work and home only, with no social life, no friends, save one lady friend, work related, played by Eileen Heckart. Then one day in the rain a soldier starts talking to the crowd waiting to across the street. People come and go, but she stays waiting for something. With his outgoing personality, she took to him right away. They start a friendship and it turns into a very sweet and deep love right away. When he gets word his troop is leaving, he tells her he loves her and that he wants to marry her when he gets back, but....

I've never heard love expressed so eloquently as I have in this film. Some of the plots are left hanging at the end, as we see her in the rain after seeing an apparition of him. So we don't know for sure that she dies from pneumonia. And, her father returns to her mother after a long time and he goes looking for Jane in the rain. There is no resolution or full closure to him out looking for her. But we are left to deduce that Jane is now with Van, and her parents are back together. The film ends abruptly on the supposed climax of emotion. but it did need some plots to come full circle. That notwithstanding, this film is an experience you're not likely to forget, even if you don't exactly understand (or buy into) what happens in front of the cathedral. I recommend it heartily for the truly young at heart and those who love sentimental love stories.
  • This movie is one of my all-time favorites. I first saw it around 6 years ago, and was drawn in by the two main characters. The shy, mousy (Ruth)Jane Wyman and the outgoing, chatty, and patriotic (Arthur) Van Johnson. He draws Ruth out of her shell and she grows very fond of Arthur's gift of gab. They seem to be of opposite personalities that blend together so well. It makes me wonder how their lives would have turned out if WWII hadn't intervened.
  • "Miracle in the Rain" is the sort of movie that would make a stone cry. It's also the sort of movie that's unlikely to see the light of day again: a middle-aged, virgin heroine; a squeaky-clean, hands-off hero who woos with the line, "I'll love you till the cows come home all over the world," then goes off to fight a war with just one chaste kiss; unabashed appeals to sentimentalism and invocations of the most literal, unreconstructed religion...it's a movie that sets out to bring out the handkerchiefs and makes no apologies for it. I can't decide whether it's a movie to lift the spirit (because its final message is one of hope) or whether it's so unrealistic that it's a downer, because today's equivalent of the heroine is likely to say, "Yeah, I really would need a miracle to find a man like that. I might as well pack it in!" If you're the type that can smile at corn instead of sneering at it, see this movie. It's as sweet and tender a confection as Hollywood ever produced.
  • essers12 September 2007
    I had almost forgotten about this gem of a movie but my memory was jogged by Jane Wyman's death.

I first saw it shortly after the opening in NYC -- in '56. I remember being very impressed then and really taken with it about 30 years later when I saw it on late night TV. It is a great, forgotten movie – well written, well plotted and beautifully acted. The magic of two lovers is vivid – Johnson opposite Wyman. It contains many beautiful characterizations well acted by the artists. You can almost pick any name in the cast and come up with an outstanding performance. Beside the leads, William Gargan stands out as Jane's "lost" father. Alan King is a great side-kick. – And on and on!

One reviewer compared it to "A Portrait of Jennie." Yes. It has that kind of magic!
  • FrogAngel26 September 2009
    This was wonderful, definitely a tear-jerker. It was fun to see a mousy shy girl get a nice guy, and I have to say I thought it was rather uncalled for to kill him off. Also, in answer to the review that claimed Van Johnson was draft-dodger, that's not true. He was seriously injured in an accident in 1942, just as the US was entering the war. While he did recover, he had a metal plate in his head and was not eligible to enter the military. I don't know if the guidelines have changed, but there were men that were healthy that weren't allowed to join because of some old injury. My grandfather couldn't because of a childhood accident.
  • TopDawg28 December 2001
    I enjoyed this movie pretty well. Jane Wyman and Van Johnson were well-cast. The chemistry between them works very well, showing how opposites can attract. It is a unique movie, sweet, different. Ms. Wyman is a versatile actress, and this movie projects a more vulnerable, almost homely persona. Van Johnson is his usual buoyant and outgoing self here. This movie is also a testament to the power of faith amidst sorrow over a lost but enduring love.

The question I have about it is this: at the end, when she collapses on the steps of the church, has she died? That is not quite clear to me. Many people seem to believe that she is dead, but it's not specified in the movie. Does anyone know of an outside source that would confirm this, one way or another?
    Here's the plot: Jane Wyman, the most boring actress of all time, is pushing forty and leads a lonely, dreary life in World War II-era New York, working in an office and living with her embittered mother who was deserted by her husband years before. One rainy day she meets loud, lovable soldier Van Johnson as both of them are standing in a crowd of people, waiting for the rain to let up. Johnson's Pollyana philosophy of life, which he booms out in a crowd to the annoyance of everybody present, probably, somehow appeals to Jane, and they end up going……somewhere together, I forget where.

He begins squiring her around New York, and finally gets orders to ship out, at which point he kisses her for the first time, as far as I could tell, and tells her he loves her, then jumps on an Army bus and heads to war. Before he leaves, he shows her that he's wearing his "lucky" Roman coin, which will protect him from harm.

She writes him dull letters every day: Every one of them starts out "Dear Art" --- never "Darling", or "My darling Art", or even "Dearest". I suspect these letters contained the same amount of passion a woman might put in a letter to her brother. Anyway, he never writes back, and her mother hisses things like, "MEN! They're all alike!"

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Jane eventually gets a letter from Johnson's C.O., telling her that her lover has been killed in action.

Jane is inconsolable, and starts hanging out at St. Patrick's Cathedral, lighting candles at the altar of St. Andrew, for whom she feels sorry because nobody ever lights candles for him. She also develops a cough, but still won't stay home from work, or stop annoying St. Andrew.

Finally, she goes to the cathedral in the rain and stands at the altar bawling, "Why did you take Art from me?" and then leaves. Well, lo and behold, she has a vision of Art coming across the street to bore her with more of his homespun wisdom about how love never dies, she's the bee's knees, etc., and they embrace. Then he melts into thin air and she collapses on the pavement. A kind-hearted priest, played by handsome Paul Picerni, comes out and calls an ambulance, then notices that she has something clasped in her hand.

The item in her hand is……………….ARE YOU READY FOR THIS??? YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT! ---- the LUCKY COIN that Art took into battle! Oh, and Jane's father, who as I noted above, deserted her and Jane's mother years before, comes back home that same night! Now that I've panned this movie up and down, I will say, in the vain hope that some kind reader will rate this review as "useful", that the cast was good: Van Johnson was always one of my favorites, and Eileen Heckart, as Ms. Wyman's office friend, was a sympathetic and likable character. Fred Clark, another great character actor, was on hand to play the role of Wyman's philandering boss. And the shots of various NYC locales were great, especially the interior of St. Patrick's Cathedral. Other than that, well, this is strictly for die-hard Jane Wyman fans -- both of them.
    Rarely have I seen a film where I have loved the first portion so much only to have it completely ruined by the ending. This is DEFINITELY the case with "Miracle in the Rain". It begins in New York City during WWII. A soldier awaiting his orders (Van Johnson) meets a nice but shy young lady (Jane Wyman) during a rain storm. They begin seeing each other and fall madly in love. Then, abruptly, he's shipped out--only to be killed in action! While depressing and awful (completely ruining an incredibly sweet love story), the film gets worse with a sickly sweet finale involving a 'miracle' and a dopey coin. The miracle, as I see it, is that the folks seeing the film didn't demand their money back! After all, the first half was great and highly reminiscent of another wonderful film, "The Clock"--and it really hooked me. However, the last is dreadful and heavy-handed--and loaded with schmaltz. My advice is to either skip this one altogether or watch the film until Johnson ships out--and then turn it off and pretend it had a nice, happy ending! Or, just see "The Clock"!! All in all, some very fine acting ruined by a script in need of a massive re-write. What were they thinking when they made this one?!