User Reviews (62)

• Space pioneers are returning to Earth from a trip to Mars when their spaceship is propelled into the future. They land and discover a vastly different Earth than the one they left. All of the elements that went into the 50s scifi genre are here. Space travel, mutant creatures, and life in the far distant future. This film was a better than average film for its time. The effects are poor compared to today but the dialog makes up for it. The color is sharp and clear and there is a good cast to make it enjoyable. Pull up a chair and break out the popcorn. Following the adventures of the newly returned space travelers makes for a good Saturday afternoon viewing.
  • There are many existing comments in regards to this particular film and most of them are quite similar and accurate, therefore there is not too much new substantial information left to be offered. I would just like to express and confirm that this is quite an excellent film for its time [1956]. Do not expect CGI quality graphics and effects -- this was a lower budgeted film, but it did indeed have some very nicely done SFX by its own standards. The wonderful screenplay, rather strong acting [HUGH MARLOWE, ROD TAYLOR, etc.], Color-Cinemascope production, and a fair amount of actual outside location shooting [no cheap soundstaging] combined to make this an absolutely wonderful film [still ranks as one of my favorite 50's Sc-Fi-Flix today!]. OK - for you meticulous purists, there is a large RUBBER SPIDER attack ... but it actually looks fairly decent. Try not to nit-pick, sit back and enjoy a really tight film. And, HEY -- it even has a well-constructed, moral, POSITIVE ending -- which is not sappy! ENJOY!!
  • This is the perhaps the best script from a writer's point of view of any of the 1950s low-budget "B" sci-fi films. Galactic fiction being beyond the capacities of Hollywood writers' imaginations, the best they could do is "futuristics", stories of apocalyptic, invaded, poisoned or plagued Earth. Larger budgets made possible color features such as "War of the Worlds"; and "When Worlds Collide"; others with less backing made "Kronos", "Earth Versus the Flying Saucers" and this gem of the genre. Here four astronauts who return from a mission to Mars are caught in the usual 'time warp'; and so they return to find a devastated Earth of the future--atomic war being the destructive force. The astronauts are led by dependable leading man Hugh Marlowe; the others are young Rod Taylor, Christopher Dark and announcer--voiced nice guy Nelson Leigh. They become involved with The Council, led by Everett Glass and run afoul of fine actor Booth Colman as a man jealous of their potency as political leaders and their genetic potential to please the local female population. Others in the cast include fine character actors Paul Brinegar and Herb Vigran. Borrowing a page from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Opar tales, author and director of the film, Edward Bernds, has introduced beast men, impotent males and gorgeous women who seem seem almost to belong to a different race. The three lovelies are played by capable leading lady Nancy Gates, Lisa Montell and Shawn Smith. What sets this film apart is fine music by Leigh Harline, intelligent sets, enjoyably-revealing costumes for the ladies and its dialogue and interestingly-developed characters. The four astronauts learn about the new society of wrecked Earth, its problems and hopes, as we do, adding to the impact of the story. Dark has a good part as he mourns his lost family; the older Leigh enjoys his status as a sought-after-male and scientist, Taylor is stalwart and promising but battles his Australian accent. Marlowe makes everyone else look better as usual by his intelligence and ability to handle adventure-level dialogue. The action climax sets the four up to be the leaders of a new and perhaps better world, with the beast men at bay and affairs of the heart settled admirably-- and Dark in charge of the children who are the hope of a rebuilt Earth... I cannot recommend this exercise in clever low-budget sci-fi film-making too highly. This is an exciting and interesting narrative.
  • I recently watched this movie for the first time and found it a cross between Planet of the Apes and The Time Machine, complete with Rod Taylor.

Four astronauts returning from a space mission go through a time warp and end up on earth thousands of years into the future after a nuclear war. They encounter rubber giant spiders, mutant cavemen and hostile survivors who have survived the war and are living underground. At first they don't believe how the astronauts got there but they do eventually and they help them to destroy the mutants and start afresh and live without the fear of these unfriendly cavemen. Two of the astronauts fall in love with two of the local women.

As well as The Time Machine's Rod Taylor, the film also stars Hugh Marlowe (The Day The Earth Stood Still) and Nancy Gates. The acting is good from all.

I found this movie enjoyable and is beautifully shot in colour, despite the low budget. The giant spiders look cheap though. A must for sci-fi fans.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5.
  • A few years ago I watched this movie with a group of friends. We had a terrific time with it. It was great to see `The Time Machine' star Rod Taylor with `The Day the Earth Stood Still' star Hugh Marlow. Other high points included that great rocket ship (which was first designed for `Destination Moon', but rejected in favor of the one actually used). The rocket was first used in `Flight to Mars', and it later appeared in `It! The Terror from Beyond Space' and `Queen of Outer Space'.

If your not into rockets, perhaps the stunning girls in the short `futuristic' skirts will hold your interest. Famed pin-up artist Alberto Vargas is listed in the credits, although he's credited with `production design', instead of `costume design'. Perhaps he did both.

The story has strong points and weak points. The weak points are forgivable: few special effects, a terrible `giant spider', and sets that not exactly spectacular.

The strong points are, I guess, a matter of personal taste. The story is simple, but still interesting. In a post-holocaust world, a small society of civilized people live underground, safe from the violent mutants who live on the surface. The characters interact well, and when they take on the mutants in the climax, my friends and I were cheering as if we were watching the Super Bowl.

Maybe it'll affect you the same way. Give it a chance.
  • Today was the first time I have seen this movie. Although I adore the SCI-FI genre, I really don't dribble or quibble over Special Effects like smaller-minded viewers. I much rather watch a SCI-FI movie that has a good story and fairly good acting.

Folks so quickly forget what pre-2001 A Space Odyssey and pre-Star Wars SCI-FI movies were like and become jaded in their views. Suddenly all perspective is gone. Goodness, these were simple times in the mid-50's, have some compassion. We have come far even in comparison to 50 years ago.

WORLD WITHOUT END offers a story taking off from the classic Time Machine and anticipating the post-apocalyptic nightmare of Planet of the Apes. It presents yet another version of what could be the future. The sets and complete production values are all fine and well realized.

But what is important here is the story and the hope that mankind can survive through any adversity because he has and will always have the will to live and carry on. Warts and all.

I would recommend this to any real fan of storytelling.
  • Yes this movie is a little corny, but most of the sci-fi/horror movies of that time were corny, but still fun to watch. And this movie still has a good underlining story. The astronauts find themselves in another world from the one they left, their families and homes are gone and mutants attack them. Then they find another race like their own. And after fighting the mutants and the others they work together to start to rebuild the Earth. Corny but good.
  • I first remember seeing this movie on TV as a young boy in the early 1960's. From then on I watched it as often as it came on until they stopped showing science fiction movies on that station. For about twenty years or so, I did not see it, and then last year, I found it on video.

Much to my delight, I found that I still enjoyed it as much as ever.

The film concerns the first flight to Mars, and what happens when they start back. Hitting a great turbulence, the ship crash lands on an unknown planet, and the crew meets with many adventures before they discover that they are are on earth in the far future, and they deduce that an atomic war has taken place a couple of centuries prior to their landing.

The film has a good plot, cast and script, and even if the special effects are not what we are capable of today, it still is a movie that is worthwhile seeing.

Like I said before, I still enjoy it even after thirty years.
    I saw this film for the first time when I was about 8 years of age and never forgot a lot of the issues raised during the plot. The first 15 minutes or so, the viewer is shown a rocket traveling from Martian orbit which subsequently takes off suddenly at a fantastic undefined velocity. The special effects imply that it is going through some sort of convulsion or warp. The rocket eventually crashes on some planet.

After the astronauts start to explore the "unknown" planet, they encounter some unearthly phenomena such as a surface reading of elevated background radiation that would be uncharacteristic of comparable measurements on earth. Tnen, inside a cave, they encounter a giant spider (a staple of 1950s SF, somewhat hokey here) which would be impossible on the earth that they knew. Sunsequently, they meet a group of savage humanoids that could be throwbacks to a stone age era. Now, the key point which I never forgot - a visit to an abandoned cemetery that contains monuments dating back to at least the 20th century on earth. This shocking detail reveals that they have somehow returned to earth, but not the earth that they knew. Then, they discover the grave of someone who lived from the years 1985 - 2068 !!! (The astronauts went into space around 1957) The concept of time dilation dates back to the Einstein Special Theory of Relativity and I have been fascinated by the possibility ever since. The astronauts try to speculate about the velocity that they actually attained, beyond 100 miles / second - or, was it 1000 miles/second, 10000 miles/second, or faster still (the velocity of light is 186,000 miles/ second at which fundamental physical concepts such as length, mass, and time undergo fantastic values in magnitude). As one approaches the velocity of light, time becomes asymptotic and at actual light speed, time is reduced to 0. According to physicists, light speed is the absolute limit in the universe. That is why concepts such as warps in space-time are being discussed as possible methods of achieving faster than light conditions. In any case, the astronauts discover that sometime between their departure in 1957 and their appearance on earth several centuries later, there was some horrific atomic world war that decimated civilization as they knew it.

The astronauts are chased into a cave by the savages in another encounter where they meet descendants of survivors of the atomic war living underground. At this point, the plot starts to focus on human interactions and the various behavioral passions and characteristics (including human frailties and weaknesses such as mistrust and jealousy) that seem to be universals in any era of the history of mankind, from ancient times to the present, to the future time of the year 2508. The girls in the movie are all knockouts (especially the bare-legged ones) which are a staple of 1950s SF (such as in "Missile to the Moon", "Queen of Outer Space", and others). After a number of debates followed by an act of treachery by one of the men from the future, the astronauts finally convince the subterranean people to let them fight their way to the surface, fight off the savages, and establish a base upon which the underground people can rebuild civilization.

As the future men and women from the year 2508 rebuild civilization, would they be able to control their negative passions in order to create a world at peace? Or once re-established on the surface, would new kingdoms, principalities, and nations take root again followed by the usual cycles of peace and war ? The saga of human history is marked by cycles of rise and fall and then subsequent rise and fall. Is this all we humans can do ? Or can we do better ? Can the human race rise above the flaws and frailties that made the atomic war (and all of the wars before it) possible ? Or can we learn to put intellect above violence and put an end to war forever ? Would this imply that Homo Sapiens would really learn to live up to its name. The term "Homo Sapiens" means "wise man". How "wise" are men who slaughter each other in cycles of wars that have come close to destroying entire segments of the population ? How "wise" would we actually be to destroy the earth and us with it ? There is nothing "wise" about taking another human life. Wars have plagued us humans from ancient times to the present. Can we eventually learn to control our lower instincts and passions in order to make war impossible? Can we truly create a civilized human order at peace with itself? These are questions that function as the subtext of the movie.

Dan Basinger
  • Patterned somewhat after H.G Wells novel "The Time Machine" and a fore-runner of "Planet of the Apes" (1968) This space-time travel story is better than it sounds. The astronauts are thrown forward in time but. actually it seems the opposite, as they return to a planet inhabited by cave-man like creatures-save a small group hiding out underground. The tight script and superior cast prop up this small budget picture, and the action moves it along so we don't have time to concentrate on it's short-falls. One of the better 'B' sci-fi flicks of the 50s.
  • This fairly ambitious science fiction from minor studio Allied Artists used to be one of my favorite science fiction films when I was kid. This is an another one of those films I first saw on TV as kid and still recall with fondness and enjoy re-watching on video every now and then.The story of accidental time travel via space ship appealed to me. Although the idea of time travel was novel to films when it was first released in 1956, the story is obviously derived from the HG Wells novel "The Time Machine." The fact that the time travel is accidental instead of deliberate via a time machine, the mutants live above ground instead of below it and the normal people live underground instead on the surface didn't fool me when I was ten years when I first saw this film on TV.(I had already seen the George Pal version of THE TIME MACHINE and read the "Classics Illustrated" version of the novel.) Neither did it fool the estate of HG Wells, who filed a plagiarism suit against Allied Artists when this film was first released. I have never discovered the result of this suit however. Its somewhat ironic that both this plagiarized version of "The Time Machine" and George Pal's authorized version made a few years later, both star Rod Taylor.

While WORLD WITHOUT END is fairly entertaining film, it can not be considered one the great classic science fiction films from the 1950's. The film moves along a good pace, until director/writer Edward Bernds slows the story down and clutters up the film with scenes of "court intrigue." The names given to some of the characters shows some imagination. I thought the scenes of the rocket crashing in the snow, although obvious, looked attractive. Emile LaVinge's make up for the mutants is imaginative; no two mutants seems to have the same deformity. The Vargas designed costumes on the women are sexy. However, the mens costumes with the skull caps smacks of Flash Gorden in worst way. The giant spiders, to say the least are unconvincing. They are a gaudy blue and red color and look like pillows.

Despite the films faults, one should give credit to minor league studio Allied Artists, whom most of their previous science fiction films (and most those that came later) were low budget black and white quickies designed to fill the bottom half of a double bill, attempt to make something that would compete with the bigger budgeted science fiction movies being made by the big studios. The fact that they allowed for the added expense of shooting this film in Technicolor and Cinema Scope confirms this. Although not entirely successful, one could say that WORLD WITHOUT END was a nice try from a low rent studio.
  • Allied Artists pulls out their wallets and all the stops for this fantastic tale of men and mutants locked together in a time warp. The studio, at the time, had more in common with poverty row stalwarts like Eagle-Lion, Republic and Monogram, than the major studios of the era. But here they mounted a handsome production in "Cinemascope" and Technicolor. The major complaint about the film seems to concern the behavior and attitudes of the astronauts toward the females. I believe sexist and juvenile come to mind. But look a little under the surface and you will find the character of Deena. She breaks the typical space babe mold and develops an independent woman. Check out her courage in disobeying the elders as well as Rod Taylor, when she tags along in order to provide some practical information on the mutant culture. I can't believe I just wrote the words "mutant culture." In addition, I'm also aware that the costume department delivered the same mini-skirts which you might find in similar flicks of the period. But also remember that Star Trek dressed their female crew members in the same fashion--and in the late-sixties, too! I also like the engineer's character who is given feelings of sadness, regret and remorse when confronted with the ramifications of breaking the time barrier--with no means to return to his loved ones. Applause and salutations to the thoughtful screenwriter who delivered these pages.
  • A low-budget kiddie sci-fi flick from the same period that brought us "Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers," and interestingly enough starring the same actor, Hugh Marlowe, a sort of older version of that other '50s sci-fi star, Richard Carlson. Four astros headed for Mars go through a time warp in space and end up on Earth after atomic Armaggedon has decimated the planet. This makes things convenient both set- and costume-wise, as all the cities and highways are gone and all that's left on the planet's surface is a bunch of murderous cavemen. Ah, but inside one particular cave, the astros encounter an underground habitat containing what's left of humanity. The plot is sort of H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine" in reverse. Because the story is actually interesting (the sun-deprived humans are dying out and the astros try to convince them to return to the planet's now-decontaminated surface), it's easy to forgive the theatrical photography, cardboard sets, and the three '50s-type females in their restaurant hostess outfits and bouffant hairdos. One way or the other, the always-dependable Marlowe keeps everything nicely grounded as the leader of the astros. The film looks like it cost $1.98 to make, but a reasonably strong story and decent-enough cast make it worth a glimpse. A young Rod Taylor. the Russell Crowe of his day, plays one of the other astros -- although he's given little to do except to bare his chest and make the ladies swoon.
  • Men travel to the future and meet beautiful horny women, awful interior sets, and horrendously crappy spiders. They shoot their bazooka at the mutants like it's a heartless video game. Sappy ending. Edward Bernds genius lies with the 3 Stooges, not here. On the plus side it had nice color.
  • World Without End has four astronauts on a Mars mission enter a time warp similar to what Charlton Heston and his crew encountered in Planet Of The Apes. Only they figure out before the end that it is earth about 500 years into the future where an atomic war has pretty well decimated the planet.

Fortunately for them the world is not just the savage mutants they inhabit outside. There is a civilization kept alive in earth's caves. But they're a pretty pacific lot and frown on these 20th century types with their weaponry which simply consists of handguns.

The four astronauts are Hugh Marlowe, Nelson Leigh, Christopher Dark, and Rod Taylor who would soon star in his own film about time travel. In the end it turns out that these guys and their knowledge of weapons come in pretty useful after all.

The director of this film Edward Bernds who did this for Allied Artists. Bernds who started out working on Frank Capra films was a director of several Bowery Boy features for Allied Artists formerly Monogram Pictures. This was a man used to working with minuscule budgets and realizing that the film didn't turn out half bad.

And unlike Planet Of The Apes it ends on a somewhat optimistic note.
  • I've been struggling to write a plot synopsis of World Without End and finally decided to take a look at what was posted on IMDb. The posted synopsis from D.A. Kellough is much better than anything I've been able to come up with - "Four astronauts returning from mankind's first mission to Mars enter a time warp and crash on a 26th Century Earth devastated by atomic war. Our heroes meet with hideous mutant cavemen, giant spiders, love-struck beauties in short dresses, and jealous old geezers in sparkly skullcaps as they struggle to save humanity and build a new world." That sums it all up rather nicely.

At first glance, World Without End might seem like any number of the mass produced sci-fi clones that came out in the 50s. And in some ways, you'd be right. The poorly done rocket shots, the bizarre notion of having guns and hatchets on board a spacecraft, and the giant spider attacks are straight out of the 1950s Sci-Fi How To Guide. But for whatever reason, World Without End is more enjoyable than many of its brethren. The cast that features Hugh Marlowe and Rod Taylor is more than capable. The interesting script and the snappy direction of Edward Bernds help to create a nicely paced film with few dead spots. Even the more romantic, schmaltzy scenes don't drag the film down like in other sci-fi movies of the period. All of the "creatures" from Earth's future are adequately explained and (mostly) believable. And the film has a sense of fun about it that I enjoyed. I've got no problem recommending World Without End to fans of 50s sci-fi cinema.

I said that things were adequately explained. Well, for the most part that's true. One thing that's not is the difference between the men and women of Earth's future. The men are pasty, old, bloodless (that's what one of the characters from Earth's past call them) beings without a spark for life. The women, in contrast, are young and beautiful creatures with a need to live and to be loved. Why the difference? It's not really a weakness of the film, just something that nagged at me as I watched the movie.
    Stalwart John Borden (solid Hugh Marlowe), wise Dr. Eldon Galbraithe (a fine Nelson Leigh), hearty, rugged Herbert Ellis (an affable turn by a really young Rod Taylor), and fidgety navigator Henry "Hank" Jaffe (nicely played by Christopher Dark) are a quartet of astronauts who are returning from a mission to Mars back to Earth. The unlucky foursome get caught in a timewarp and crashland on Earth in the 26th century, a bleak time in which the planet has been devastated by nuclear war. A vicious tribe of grotesquely malformed caveman run amok on the surface while the dwindling bunch of smart, but scared human survivors live underground in abject fear. Writer/director Edward Bernds delivers an extremely engrossing and entertaining early entry in the post-nuke end-of-the-world sci-fi sub-genre: Bernds relates the compelling story story at a steady pace, stages the exciting rough'n'tumble action scenes with considerable, maintains an admirably serious tone throughout, and depicts a fascinating subterranean society in which the women are vibrant and chipper and the men are passive and cowardly. Marlowe, Leigh, Taylor and Dark are all excellent in their roles; they receive sound support from Nancy Gates as the sweet, fetching Garnet, Lisa Montell as the lovely, gutsy servant girl Deena, Everett Glass as sage, gentle leader Timmek, and Booth Colman as aloof, conniving troublemaker Mories. The neat special effects (I especially dug the giant killer puppet spider), Ellsworth Fredericks' sharp widescreen color cinematography, and Leith Stevens' lively, rousing score all further enhance the overall sterling quality of this cool little movie.
  • Twelve years before `Planet of the Apes', this nifty sci-fi adventure presented a spacecraft that travels forward in time and returns to Earth in the distant future. Four years before `The Time Machine', this film proposed a post-holocaust world in which mankind is divided into barbaric mutants and utopian `normal' people. If that isn't enough to peek your interest, consider the fact Rod Taylor (`The Time Machine'), is one of th time(space) travelers! Hugh Marlow (`The Day the Earth Stood Still') is also in the crew, and they both get to romance the lovely girls of 2508 AD. Said girls are pure knock-outs in their `futuristic' mini-skirts, designed by Playboy's premiere pin-up artist, Alberto Vargas!

The rocket ship was first designed for `Flight to Mars', and it was later used in `It! The Terror from Beyond Space', and `Queen of Outer Space' -- which means the only spacecraft in sci-fi cinema with more mileage than this ship is the Millennium Falcon! Sadly, the film's few special effects are not well done. It's strengths are the characters and the story. And the girls . . .

The climax is a rip-roaring showdown between Taylor, Marlow, and company against the hideous mutants. Director Edward Bernds never made a great sci-fi film, but he tried often enough. This one is his best effort, and not a bad one at that. Watch it with the guys -- and root for the team with the bazooka!
  • I pretty much thought I'd seen just about all the sci-fi films of the 1950s and I was happily surprised when I discovered "World Without End" today. It's a wonderful movie--which, inexplicably, has a very mediocre score of 6. Why? I have no idea, as it's intelligently written and enjoyable from start to finish.

The story begins with the folks on Earth learning that one of their spacecraft is missing and presumed destroyed. However, the ship actually was somehow catapulted off course and ended up about 500 years in the future. This future, however, ain't exactly pretty as the surface of the planet is controlled by mutated troglodytes who love to kill. Fortunately, the crew is eventually rescued by a small group of humans who have been living underground since the apocalypse destroyed civilization. Unfortunately, these survivors are a wimpy group (with amazingly hot women, by the way) and are content to just stay and hide. But these 1950s humans aren't about to spend the rest of their days underground and have a bold plan to retake the planet for intelligent beings. What's to come of this?

While a bit of the acting is occasionally a bit suspect and the mutants look a bit silly, for a 50s sci-fi film it's actually exceptionally good--with special effects and production values far ahead of its peers. The film is shot in glorious color and the script is awfully entertaining and features a lot of innovations that you wouldn't expect in some 'shlocky sci-fi film'---which this one certainly isn't. Well worth seeing.
  • lowkus7 June 2004
    This is a fun movie to watch if you aren't concerned with accurate physics or the theory of evolution. All of the special effects are really cheap looking, but it add's flavor to the movie. The acting is mostly good, and the sets are minimalist startrekesque creations that really put the focus back on the plot. The movie has good costumes and attractive actors/actresses. In some ways, it seems that this movie is a precursor to "Planet of the Apes", as the stranded astronauts come to realize that they had been on Earth the whole time. Really, the only difference between this movie and "Planet of the Apes" is that there were ape-like cavemen in this movie, instead of actual apes. The only drawback to this movie is that it's too short. I'd buy this if it were out on DVD.
    I'd like to say here, that all these under thirty reviewers who put down the old films of their parent's and grandparent's times, are not clued in to the fact that WE(Over 40's) CREATED the ENTIRE WORLD they live in! Duh, WE made cell phones, CD's DVD's, Plasma TV's, Space Shuttles, and the like

SO If you cannot give OUR time's films at least a nod of "respect" please do not put them down.

SPOILER: This film is about what happens when the Spirit of Mankind is washed out, and he leads a colorless existence. The techno-survivors live in a gray little world of no courage, no hope, and no self esteem. Instead of fighting valiantly for their world, they cower away underground, with no sunlight, nutrients, vitamins, and possibly radioactive water making them sterile and weak.

The 1980's to Today(2007) were a time when the twenty somethings and college aged teens of today, were born or growing up; they were built technologically, morally, and film-making (writing wise) by OLDSTERS WE do not put down your movies, we just acknowledge that your movies are from YOUR time and CULTURAL BIAS.

When the men and women who acted in THIS film, were growing up, they brought THEIR biases and their parent's BIASES with them. The film reflects the world and times it came from, not WRONG or DUMB or STUPID Just DIFFERENT--Perhaps more INNOCENT times and mores and values. SF Either Celebrates Mankind AND DIVERSITY OF IDEA AND OPINION, Or it DON'T! See ALL films, BUT ESPECIALLY WORLD WITHOUT END, with the eyes of THOUGHTFULNESS, and you won't be so quick to put it down!

As for SFX--darn it--WE OLDSTERS INVENTED CGI!!!!! Heck, you young folks wouldn't have your GARAGE BASED CGI PROGRAMS if it weren't for OLD FOLKS!
  • Four astronauts on a mission to Mars find themselves accidentally transported 500 years into the future. There they discover a post-apocalyptic Earth with cyclopean mutants and giant spiders. Luckily for them there are also plenty of beautiful babes around. Plus all of the men left on the planet are pacifist wimps, so the ladies are in desperate need of some Vitamin "D," if you catch my drift.

Fun Technicolor sci-fi movie, filmed in CinemaScope, from the golden age of science fiction. As others have stated, there are some plot similarities to sci-fi classic "The Time Machine." Coincidentally one of the astronauts here, Rod Taylor, would go on to star in the definitive film version of that story. This is an early role for Aussie Taylor, who is clearly still working on his American accent. The leader of the astronauts is 'old reliable' Hugh Marlowe, who was in a couple of sci-classics himself ("The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Earth vs the Flying Saucers" ring any bells?). Nelson Leigh plays the requisite scientist of the group. He knows what's going on no matter what's going on. Christopher Dark plays the emotional one upset because he left his wife & kids behind. Booth Colman is the villain among the wimpy future men. He doesn't like how the future women are attracted to these "reckless and brutal" primitives from the past. The lovely ladies of future Earth are well-represented by Nancy Gates and Lisa Montell, among others.

Love the great old sets, costumes, and special effects. One man's cheese is another man's treasure. The astronauts dress and act like grunts from a WW2 movie, which is awesome. Some of the dated views expressed in the film provide some unintended comedy today but, to me, the added historical and sociological aspects are a plus not a minus. And, let's be real, some of it is pretty funny. I think if you're someone who enjoys sci-fi from the '50s you will like this a lot. It's not one of the best but it is very entertaining.
    Spoiler alert, there are plot revelations exposed here!! There is much about this movie that has been well described by other reviewers. I will just add my take on the script from an intentional & sociological viewpoint. Getting past the bad spider scenes (Eight-legged Freaks is truly years ahead of WWE's predators) & the interesting space ship, this movie is about mankind. I saw Earth vs the Flying Saucers when I was a kid & comprehended only mechanical ships, not the human logic & relationships also portrayed (though I did understand what I saw in what I value as the greatest of the older, as well as, some more modern Sci-Fi films, Forbidden Planet). As in F.P., World Without End looks at the ethical challenges that help mankind grow. Although there seems to be no religious inferences in this film, versus some of the other 50's & 60s sci-fi pieces, (Them or Day the World Ended, for example) the title has a Biblical ring which may resonant with some.

The space team of Marlowe, Leigh, Dark & Taylor grasp the problem of the underground society rather quickly. Due to defensive isolation, humankind has wilted into a society of wimps. Humanity will end with a sniffle or sigh if the robust pioneering spirit & seeking of a better (not necessarily a more materialistic) life of humans is not rekindled. There is some balance between the space team & the futuristic earth group, led by Everett Glass as Timmek. Although the isolated lifestyle & concentrated interaction of the futuristic council leads to errors in judging their ancestors from the past, the 4 astronauts are patient & graceful toward the underground group, & lucky due to Deena's honest intervention, until they finally are given the opportunity to rebuild society.

This film has more to offer in reviewing our own present situation of life. Our politically correct culture will be the death of us if we do not boldly pursue our own origins & purpose...until the end.
    This sci-fi film tells the story of a Mars mission (led by Marlowe) which somehow is stuck in a time warp and arrives on Earth of the far future. Future Earth people are living underground like scared rabbits, since savage "mutates" rule the surface and kill all humans that venture out. Marlowe and company are held captive by the humans, and after much discussion, finally prevail on the timid people to fight the mutates with real 20th century weapons (like an improvised bazooka). The leader of the mutates is killed, and the mutates and humans are shown living in harmony at the end of the film.

The entire cast is good, but Leigh (in his usual dignified way), and a very young Rod Taylor stand out, along with Shawn Smith (Shirley Patterson, as one of the future humans). The color cinematography is very good, and the direction is okay. My main complaint with the movie is its very slow and methodical pace, with lots of discussion about every plot detail.

For me, what nearly ruined the film was the appearance of a giant purple spider, which was very obviously a puppet! Leigh, Marlowe, and the group capture and kill the spider with guns, but had to do so with straight faces. Otherwise, this is thoughtful and well-done sci-fi.
  • A returning spaceship crew of four astronauts(including Rod Taylor & Hugh Marlowe) find themselves sent through a time-warp into the 26th century, where an atomic war has taken place, resulting in a primitive tribe of men on the surface, and a society of intelligent(but tyrannical) people living below. The astronauts discover that they likely can't get home again, and so must sort out this world if they have any hope of surviving(and dodge the odd giant spider!). Good cast, but silly film with a pulp-minded story and clichés. Still, it is interesting to note how this may have influenced "The Time Machine", "Planet Of The Apes", and even "Star Trek"! (Though they greatly improved on these ideas, and made them more imaginative.)