• I recently acquired a copy of Monster From Green Hell and was after it for ages. This was released on video in Britain as part of the Killer B's series, all now out of print.

A nuclear test rocket containing wasps crashlands in an uncharted area of Africa known as 'Green Hell'. An expedition is sent over there to search for it. But before they arrive, locals are being killed by these wasps which, as a result of radiation, have grown into giants. While searching for the rocket and its contents, the party encounters dangers such as unfriendly natives, several days' of rain, a volcano, jungle wildlife and of course the giant wasps. They eventually find what they are looking for and the volcano erupting kills all the wasps at the end. They could have done with Tarzan's help. He would not have any trouble killing the wasps.

I found this movie rather enjoyable and the colour sequence at the end featuring the volcanic eruption was impressive.

The special effects were good considering the low budget. Some of the wasps and a snake were done in stop-motion. The cast includes Dallas star Jim Davies. This movie features stock animal footage and clips from the movie Stanley and Livingstone.

Great stuff.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5.
  • Before Jim Davis got his last and career part as Jock Ewing in Dallas, he had one tortured path to Hollywood success. He had a much publicized debut as Bette Davis's leading man in Winter Meeting which was one of her worst films. His portrayal of a war hero about to enter the priesthood met with a ton of critical guffaws. Still Davis persisted and took any kind of work. The Monster from Green Hell qualifies as any kind of work.

A wasp is sent up in space to see the effects. Unfortunately on re-entry the space capsule crashes in the region of West Africa and the wasp has grown to the size of a Panzer tank. To top it all off the geniuses sending up the rocket sent up a pregnant queen so we've got all kinds of those Panzer wasps running around Africa.

Jim Davis is sent to clean up the mess and runs into a medical missionary played by Vladimir Sokoloff. Albert Schweitzer was very much alive at the time and running his mission in West Africa. No one in 1958 mistook who Sokoloff was portraying. The wasps set up a colony in the shadow of a volcano. You can figure out the rest.

This is typical Fifties science fiction when all kinds of radiation was the explanation for these creatures. In this case it was the radiation from cosmic rays, presumably from the newly discovered Van Allen belt around the earth.

Tepid acting and chintzy special effects make The Monster from Green Hell great cult stuff. One thing though that is timely. An Arab character played by Eduardo Ciannelli joins forces with Davis and one of the natives Joel Fluellen to combat the danger the giant wasps present. Amazing how religious differences can suddenly melt away in time of crisis.
  • Ah, the 1950's. If you wanted to make a monster movie all you had to do was insert the word "radiation" into the script and that explained where the monster came from, no further explanation was necessary. Hey, I like this film and I make no apologies for liking it. The stop motion animation for the monsters is pretty good, especially that scene where a giant wasp battles a python. Sadly there is an awful lot of jungle and not enough monster.

Jim Davis is a scientist firing rocket after rocket full of test animals into space to see what happens when they are exposed to radiation (our tax dollars at work!), this will show what future astronauts have to expect. I guess Jim never saw the movie FIRST MAN INTO SPACE or he would already know. Anyway a rocket full of wasps gets lost up there and eventually crashes in a remote African jungle. Let's not even ask why they launched a bunch of insects into space when they want to see what effect radiation has on mammals; just keep repeating "It's only a movie, only a movie, only a movie . . .". Concluding "There'a a lot of difference between 40 seconds of exposure and 40 hours." Jim packs up and heads for Africa.

Meanwhile the wasps have mutated into giants (what? you're surprised?) and are terrorising an area aptly named "green hell". The local doctor (Vladimir Sokoloff) believes the stories of monsters are nothing but superstition but his native pal Arobi (Joel Fluellen) reminds him "Does an elephant run from superstition? Will a bird not light in a tree because of superstition?" Score one for you, Arobi!

Jim and company have to walk 400 miles through the jungle to reach green hell and have to deal with no rain, poison waterholes and hostile natives before they arrive. When they finally do get there it's just them against the monsters and they'd better do something before the big wasps multiply!

This is really a fun movie and I wish the budget had allowed for more of the monsters. The colour tinting at the end was an especially nice surprise.

Now for all you detractors out there, we don't watch a movie called MONSTER FROM GREEN HELL expecting art; we watch it to have fun. That's what "B" movies are for and this one is lots of fun!
  • I was surprised at the amount of giant wasp animated action in the film at the start. There is even a giant full sized head prop too. But there seems to be quite a bit of Jim Davis voice over and as the movie goes on there starts to be more walking to get to the giant wasps than there is actual giant wasps. One major character dies off screen in a way that seems like they never got to shoot it. (Another character shows up and explains what happened) Then the ending is all stock footage and dissolves to footage we've already seen. And Jim Davis, as he did later in THE DAY TIME ENDED, explaining it all to us. Thank god otherwise you'd have only a vague idea of what you just saw, or didn't really get to see.

Too bad they ran out of what little money they had. A lively start progressively gets duller. Still that big wasp head was cool, another problem is the generally crappy quality of many copies of the film available which make the footage either dark or blown out. If you're going to watch it make sure you get a decent copy first.

The sending test animals into space aspect of the premise is a bit novel as is the idea of having the space ship crash way out in the middle of Africa and having to go find it. Certainly since the film was made, like with the remains of Space Lab, that type of thing has happened.
  • Growing up in Los Angeles in the late '50s & early '60s, we had "The Million Dollar Movie" on KHJ-channel 9. The MMM ran every night as well as twice on Saturdays and Sundays, giving the viewer nine opportunities over the course of the week to see whatever film was being shown.

When the MMM showed "The Monster From Green Hell," my cronies and I were seven or eight years old. We saw "The Monster From Green Hell" all nine times!!! Up to that point in our lives, it was perhaps the greatest thing ever put on celluloid.

Heck, giant wasps had over-run Africa and only Jim Davis, who starred as the hero ambulance driver in "Rescue 8" at the time could save mankind. Although I've read that the special effects were really cheap, I thought they might as well have come directly from George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic. Those huge, giant wasps sure looked real to us! I recall Viewing #8, Sunday afternoon, for you. A buddy and I were at my house, getting ready to watch it in our Living Room when my dad came in, plopped down into his favorite comfy chair and told us he was going to watch something else, something other than ... "The Monster From Green Hell." How could this be? Sacriledge was being committed right before our young eyes! Fortunately, I knew my dad's Sunday afternoon habits, and Habit #1 was sawing logs within five minutes of landing in his afore-mentioned comfy chair. As luck would have it, sure enough, he was off in Dreamland within only a couple minutes.

Discovering this, my buddy and I scooted up as close to the TV as humanly possible and turned the sound down so we could barely hear it.

It was in this manner that we caught virtually all of "The Monster From Green Hell" for the eighth straight showing on "Million Dollar Movie." Well, almost all of it.

Within a minute or two of its conclusion, the mighty beast stirred. Uh oh, my dad had awakened. With a surge of sudden awesome, lightning-quick fury, he arose, hovering over us like Shaq over Billy Barty, and erupted, "THAT'S IT, DAMMIT, NO MORE GODDAMNED 'GREEN HELL!" With that we scooted out from under his grasp, out of the Living Room, out of the house and down the street, congratulating ourselves as if we'd just won the World Series. For we had done it! We pulled off the impossible, a mighty feat indeed! Risking life itself, we were able to see what we truly believed was one of the greatest motion pictures of all time, "The Monster From Green Hell," eight straight times.

That night, at my buddy's house, we capped our perfect week by seeing it for the ninth and final time.

I have never seen it listed on TV again - and yes, I would kill to see it after all these years.
  • Considering the producer was responsible for Robot Monster, this film is not the incredible mess R.M. was.

It's also no THEM either.

It's an average 50's giant bug film. Slightly more inventive in using wasps that mainly crawl around on the ground rather than fly. We usually only see one giant wasp who resembles more dung beetle than a wasp.

I think there is a shot or two in which obviously animated wasps fly and buzz too.

Well radiation in Africa mutated wasps and they are killing natives mostly.

Harmless fun if you've got time. If you remember it as a kid your tolerance for it is significantly higher than viewers not familiar with the film.
  • sol-kay31 March 2004
    ******SPOILERS****** Coming back from outer space a rocket launched from the southern part of the United States crashes into the African continent with a Queen Wasp. The wasp was on the rocket to see how it would react to the weightlessness and cosmic rays from space. The Queen Wasp grew thousands of times it's size forming a hornet's nest at the base of a volcano in an area of the jungle known by the local natives as "Green Hell".

The movie "Monster from Green Hell" follows the usual pattern of monster movies made in the 1950's with one major exception. The giant wasps are done in not by mankind technology but by the forces of nature via an volcanic eruption that buries them in a river of lava.

Meager special effects but better then average acting for a low-budget monster film made "Monster from Green Hell" watchable for the 70 odd minutes that it's on the screen. All the efforts to find and destroy that wasps in the movie turned out to be for nothing since all that had to be done was to let nature run it's course.

Cheap and unconvincing effects made the giant wasps look and act ridicules in their attacks on the natives and safari members with the real action highlight in the movie was an attack by thousands of native warriors on the safari. Those scenes was far more effective and scary then any of the giant wasp attacks.

Good acting by Jim Davis and Robert E. Griffin as the two American doctors on the safari with Joel Feuellen and Eduardo Ciannelli as their native and Arab guides with Vladimir Skoloff, who ended up killed by the wasps off screen. There's also in the movie Barbara Turner as Skoloff's young daughter who looked and sounded like a young Igrid Bergman. The special effects of the giant wasps was only so/so but there was a very good scene with a giant wasp battling it out with a large python that was a lot like the scene in "King Kong" between the giant ape fighting with a pre-historic snake-like creature.

The last five minutes or so of the movie was shot with an beige or orange tint to give the volcanic eruption at the end of the film a fiery look to it.
  • My biggest question about this movie is simply: How did the folks at MST-3000 ever miss this one? It simply cries out for the insights of Crow and Tom Servo.

Jim Davis ( "Dallas", "Guns Don't Argue" ) stars as the head of a group of scientists who attempt to launch some creatures into space. The rocket misfires and lands somewhere in darkest Africa where a bunch of wasps escape and grow into Sikorskys, thanks - natch - to atomic radiation. Davis then leads his own team of WASPS on an Orkin expedition to take care of the problem. Along the way, they are joined by Eduardo Ciannelli, looking a bit like Sabu's grandfather.

Nothing much goes right until the final scene, supposedly filmed in "Lava Vision", during which a giant volcanic eruption takes care of everything. This consists of the surviving crew standing around bathed in a red glow as the volcano - obviously taken from stock footage, as is much of the movie - does it's thing. All harmless fun really, it's only a shame that the MSTYs never got a hold of this one.
    A test rocket crashes in the jungles of Africa. Radiation from the rocket causes wasps to mutate into gigantic murderous monsters who ravage the countryside. A team of scientists lead by Dr. Quent Brady (an extremely drippy performance by Jim Davis) are sent to the area to get to the bottom of things. Boy, does this stunningly stinky schlock possess all the expected endearingly awful bad movie vices: we've got clumsy direction by Kenneth Crane, hopelessly fake, plasticky creatures, shoddy back screen projection, gross mismatching with the film stocks (the grainy footage of African wildlife was probably taken from some cheapo documentary), a generic booming'n'bombastic score by Albert Glasser, a tedious surplus of blandly droning narration by Davis, colorless characters, rough, plain cinematography by Ray Flin, lots of talk, an uneventful narrative, and stiff-as-cardboard (non)acting from a noticeably disinterested cast (Barbara Turners cops the top thespic dishonors for her incredibly underwhelming turn as token female Lorna Lorentz). The scenes of the pathetically unconvincing titanic mutant bugs attacking folks are absolutely sidesplitting in their jaw-dropping ineptitude. A real gut-busting unintentional laugh riot.
  • After a nuclear rocket, containing wasps from a scientific experiment researching the effects of sending the insects into space, crashes in an uncharted part of Africa nicknamed "Green Hell" by the natives, the frightening result is gigantic mutated monstrosities the result of prolonged exposure to radiation. Now with word that these monsters are terrorizing that portion of the African continent, the scientists responsible for the experiment travel into the heart of Africa hoping to put a stop to this newfound threat.

Dull. Dull. Dull. A better word could not be more apt to describe this turgidly paced movie filled with scenes of folks walking, and walking, and walking some more. Although this film is only 71 minutes in length, it feels more like three hours. Sure there's some half-decent stop-motion animated monsters but they are particularly disappointing in comparison to other stop-motion efforts of the era and the stock footage used from STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE (1939) perks things up slightly as well towards the end but aside from those short moments of excitement, well there's lots and lots of walking. Did I mention that already? Did I also mention this movie is almost a surefire cure for insomnia?
  • Jim Davis plays a scientist who sends some animals, a few wasps in particular, into space to see how they fare under radiation. Alas, some wasps don't return and turn to gigantic proportions somewhere in Western Africa. Don't expect too much from this cheapie, but the film might be better than you expect prior to viewing. Despite the wasps and their infrequent screen time, the movie has the look and feel of a very cheaply-made film yet is able to tell a decent...okay, almost decent story. Made entirely in California with oodles of stock footage set in Africa, I found the film quasi-authentic. The acting was also somewhat acceptable. Davis was decent as were his co-stars. The film dives at the end with some quick resolution to an enormous problem. As far as bad movies go..you could find many much less entertaining and boring. Vladimir Sokoloff has a nice small role as a missionary in Africa.
    A typical 1950's Science Fiction flick; thrills are cheap and radiation takes the blame for mutated creatures. Low budget indeed, some footage seems to come from other films. But when your mind is set on watching a low budget movie perfectly fit for the drive-in theater, MONSTER FROM GREEN HELL will suffice. Dr. Quent Brady(Jim Davis)experiments with sending animals and insects into space. A testing rocket containing wasps more than exceeds its flight limits, but lands in a mystery location. When giant wasps are reported terrorizing natives near the location of Green Hell in Africa, Brady and fellow scientist Dan Morgan(Robert Griffin)fly TWA to Africa to investigate. Maybe these giant wasps are related to the cosmic radiation picked in deep space flight. Makes a whole lotta sense when you're a young kid paying to be frightened. Others in the cast: Vladimir Sokoloff, Barbara Turner and Joel Fluellen.
  • Let us just examine the title. First point there are "Monsters" not "A" monster. Second why would there be a location in Africa at that time named "Green Hell"? Would tribesman that have no idea or concept of Hell name it that? And that is just the title.

The copy I viewed was horribly cropped and appeared to be filmed through a screen door. These so called creatures just super imposed over footage do not resemble a wasp in any way shape or form. I have seen them in my bathroom during an acid trip though.

Someone inquired as to why MST3K never discovered this film. Well we did have a film with too much mountain climbing. One with a twenty five minute sand storm sequence. This film with its 46 minutes of walking sequences is just way too painful to bare.

The natives actually repeal the laws of perspective and psychics in this film. There is a sequence in which a tribal archer takes a shooting position on a ridge shooting perpendicular at porters. His toy bow can obviously not shoot a projectile 20 feet. There are huge number porters walking in a single file, 5-6 foot behind the one another as they march. They are 200-250 foot away. The archer hits one of the porters in the back. WHAT? The was the sequence that gave me a belly laugh.

I know they had pesticides at that time and just a few cans would have solved the entire problem. We can only hope this movie is redone in a more modern even crappier Sci Fy movie.
  • Others have already written the plot of this one so I'll just make a few observations. Obviously this is a terrible movie which cost nothing to make and came from the infertile mind of Jack Gross who did so much to screw up Universal Pictures during his tenure there in the 1940s. Peopled with low cost mediocre character actors such as Jim Davis and Robert Griffin and padded out with seemingly endless trekking across the African jungle (a sure sign of an awful film), the viewer is mesmerized into sleep mode. It starts out as science fiction then turns quickly into a jungle movie set in western Africa. Things are talked about but never shown, as if they were in the script but costs were cut everywhere and the script couldn't be completely filmed. For example, a lion drinks from a poisoned water source and supposedly dies. Vladimir Sokoloff climbs a hill to see if the water source is safe for the natives to drink from and sees the dead lion as proof that the water source is unsafe...but we are just TOLD about this. There's not even a trace of lion pelt on view. There is stock footage of a volcanic eruption at the end but it doesn't really match the shot footage very well and is quite grainy. I was told that the end of the film was shot in color but when I first saw the movie in a theatre in 1956 it was all black and white and so is the print I viewed recently. My biggest objection to this film is that it had no reason to be made other than to make a quick buck and capitalize on the atomic radiation giant monster movies that came out in the wake of that unexpected hit Godzilla in 1953 and Them in 1955. If giant ants were boffo box office why not giant wasps...and the special effects are really poor in this film. Ray Harryhausen was apparently too expensive for this bunch and yet he had already made a really fun picture out of It Came From Beneath the Sea (1954) and also the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.(1953). And this film suffers terribly from flat, predictable dialogue, wretched special effects, dull actors, a leading lady Barbara Turner who is incredibly bland and dull (where was Lori Nelson when you needed her?), disgraceful padded trekking scenes that seem interminable, a plot already trite by the time this was filmed, and completely flat direction without a trace of imagination. I love bad movies if they are truly bad in a unique way. Ed Wood's Plan 9 is wonderful and I can even go for Eegah the Caveman if I'm in the mood but there just isn't enough here to make it worth anyone's time unless you use it to get you to sleep at night. I must point out that NOTHING anyone does in this movie causes ANY result and if they had NOT gone out to try to save the world it wouldn't have made the slightest difference to the outcome. So a bunch of people lost their life in this one for no reason at all!!!!
    I just finished viewing a DVD copy of this film, which was the first sci-fi film I ever saw at 10 years old. For those of us who grew up on black & white movies, and don't demand everything be in color, this is still camp and memorable. I guarantee you'll never forget the wasps!

Jim Davis and comrades trek through Africa in search of their missing irradiated wasps, now giants. Stock footage of native attack was perhaps the best ever filmed in black & white.

A note about the female lead, Barbara Turner, an accomplished actress who appeared in many TV anthology show dramas, but few movies. She obviously knew this wasn't going to be her best moment from the very beginning. She is cute, however, and was the wife of Vic Morrow and the mother of Jennifer Jason Leigh.

The wasp models were created by veteran modeler Wah Chang and could have been better animated by stop-motion animator Gene Warren. Where was Ray Harryhausen when they needed him?
    Monster from Green hell.

I pictured a movie about demons escaping hell or some kind of prison, terrorizing people and whatnot.

Ehh... guess I was being a bit too enthusiastic.

The green hell refers to an area in Africa. An atomic rocket crashes there and causes the wasps to mutate and grow to a huge size. Better call the exterminators! And they come, accompanied by the local tribe.

It's a rather strange movie that didn't turn out as great as I had hoped. The acting is mediocre, the effects are... fine (for the time) and the story is rather broken.

One more thing, people can't seem to scream in this movie. I say go rent, buy (for a cheap price) or download this just to hear the 'screams'.

5 out of 10 stars.
  • I agree with comments from a previous user, this movie is for completest only! Only watch this if you're crossing it off a list or you REALLY love monster movies; otherwise, it will be 1:15 of sheer agony and mind-numbing boredom. Typical "giant insect" movie from the 50's, complete with the required "giant monster/insect head rising slowly over the top of the hill while the natives run down the hill and away from the monster" scene. Nice twist using wasps as the insect, but they were slightly hindered by the fact that they couldn't, oh, fly! The stock footage is soooo obvious.

I found it profoundly ironic that the monsters are supposed to be from "Green Hell", but there's nothing green IN this movie! It's all black-and-white! :) Not a good movie if your date/spouse doesn't share your love of old monster movies.
  • This isn't your typical 50's science fiction flick. Though it does use radiation, this time its space radiation, to transform and mutate insects, in this case, wasps. It's the breadth and depth with which the story is structured that lifts this above the average.

Before sending a man into space America sends up lots of different animals and insects to study the effects of space travel. One day, a rocket strays off course. Instead of staying in space for forty seconds the wasps onboard are subjected to forty hours. This, in turn, means their reentry is no longer the Americas, but Africa. When news stories break about strange occurrences in the African continent both the scientists pack their bags to investigate. Once there, the wasps are only one of their worries.

This adds a lot of elements I like. The troubles aren't restricted to America - especially American Deserts- this brings in an international feel. We have a European Doctor (Dr Lorentz, Vladimir Sokoloff) and his daughter (Lorna, Barbara Turner), a guide who sounds and appears Arabian (Mari, Eduardo Ciannelli), as well as loads of African tribesmen, including Joel Fluellen playing Arobi.

When the American scientists (Dr Quent Brady, Jim Davis and Dan Morgan, Robert E Griffin) arrive they are met with bureaucratic red tape. They have to wait a couple of weeks before their mission can start. This is a totally unheard of concept in 50's SciFi where the mutated monster is the main issue. I like this because it adds realism into the tale. Then when they finally set off on their journey, they realise it's going to take them nearly a month to walk the four-hundred-plus miles to the village. Along the trip, they run into problems and troubles that can only happen in Africa, adding adventure to the SciFi genre.

There's clever usage of stock film being used to enhance the story. I'm not too sure if the attacking tribe of thousands was taken from another film or from stock. However, it's sliced into the main film brilliantly and works to give the film a bigger production feel.

However, even with all these pluses the film still doesn't rise above an average rating. This is mainly down to the direction and, especially, the pace. Even though there are monsters and action the film is sluggish and meanders through the story. The tribal attack is quite exciting but it's the monster wasps that ruin the film. In Tarantula 1955, a real spider was used. It was enlarged and superimposed over houses, cars, etc... If they'd done the same here it would have been much better. However, they decide to build the wasp, which doesn't really look like a wasp. It's too big and its wings are too small. It saddened me that we never get to see the wasps fly. Even the special effects have good and bad points. For the most part, you can tell the wasps head is superimposed on other film scenes. But the effects men go further with the climax and start to layer different films to create the desired result. So you have a film of the wasp, on top of that is a film of the background, and on top of that is a film of flowing lava. Very clever for the time but looks really dated today.

This film is okay and worth one watch if your a 50's science fiction nut. However, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone else as it's just too slow and the effects are too weak. Tarantula and Them are far better films to view if you're wanting to try this genre.
  • Researchers (led by TV-oater regular and future 'Dallas' (1978) star Jim Davis) investigating the effects of cosmic radiation on organisms launch a small menagerie into the upper-reaches, only to lose contact with the rocket carrying wasps. Months later, following reports of strange monsters being sighted Africa, the intrepid scientists deduce that the irradiated insects (including an egg-laying queen) returned to Earth and produced off-spring of monstrous proportions, and so head to the Dark Continent to try to undo the deadly results of their hubris. Despite being a bargain-basement production, the special effects are imaginative and, if not convincing, at least entertaining at times. The opening scenes feature a rocket base in the middle of Monument Valley (unfortunately all of the subsequent rocket shots are recycled V2 footage), there are some fun giant-wasp attacks interspersed in a lengthy and tedious trek across Africa (represented by either stock footage or the ubiquitous Bronson Canyon) as well as a nicely done stop-action battle between one of the immense insectoids and a gigantic snake. The film is defiantly an example of the infamous "white men to the rescue" trope, as the American WASPs (and their crate of grenades) strive to protect Africa from the heinous hymenopterans (at least 'Africans' get to throw grenades, the female lead just gets to cower photogenically during the skirmish) and is littered with gratuitous African stock footage, including a massive attack by warriors lifted from 'Stanley and Livingstone' (1939). 'Monster from Green Hell' is pretty standard example of the 50's 'scientists make the problem, scientists fix the problem' narrative, but watchable never-the-less, at least by aficionados of the 'giant bug' subgenre of sci-fi schlock. Apparently the climatic volcano scenes were originally in colour but most available versions of the film are entirely in black and white.
    Kind of unusual premise in that we microwave some critters in outer space. Well, technically, it's cosmic radiation that produces giant wasps, Like I said in reviewing 1955's Tarantula, it's a little nutty for our intrepid scientists to experiment with such nasty critters as tarantulas and wasps. Of course, even giant ants proved to be terrifying in the seminal Them! of 1954. But, given that movie's much more thoughtful premise, those critters weren't intentionally created.

Maybe Green Hell should get points as the only sci-fi movie of its era set in Africa; on the other hand, thanks to those more in the know than myself, it's very much 'on location' in L.A., with stock footage of African events to fill in the blanks.

And filler it is: what's the point of showing a tribal war, and its horrific aftermath--a guy dying by drinking from a poisoned pond? The only way that stuff works would be having the wasps appear, and the frightened combatants either flee or combine to fight the mutual menace.

We've got two scientists Drs. Brady (Jim Davis) and Lorentz (Vladimir Sokoloff), Lorentz's daughter Lorna (Barbara Turner), Dan Morgan (Robert Griffin), and the local guide Arobi (Joel Fluellen). The acting isn't bad. Fluellen giving the best performance, but the cast is crippled by the script's annoying and persistent narration. Can't we just have scenes that show what we're being told? Narration can be useful to set the scene at the very beginning of a movie (the rocket launch here, for example). Like the prop that it is, narration then just needs to get out of the way.

In any case, the creature is the heart and soul of any creature movie, and these wasps are pretty good. And huge. The problem is we often just see their heads (models I guess) as they poke out of the brush, or a distant rather indistinct superimposed image. The fight with the snake was very good, probably the movie's best scene. But I couldn't help thinking: how did the snake get to be so big?

Once the guys (plus Lorna) converge on the wasps' nest things get more interesting. There's more wasps scooting about; still, there's some vague images where they seem larger. The heroes save themselves by collapsing a cave entrance. Brilliant, but they're trapped for a while. Providentially, a volcano eruption takes out the wasps. The guys escape both the creatures and the lava.

Think of how much better Green Hell would've been if it were set in the Southwest desert, ala Them! and Tarantula. As it is, suspension of disbelief is shredded if we assume that a couple of guys with some makeshift weapons will be enough to save the world from giant wasps (by the way, like ants, don't wasps multiply rapidly, shouldn't there be more than a half-dozen in that cave?). In an isolated setting, suspense can build up by gradually exposing an unknown menace; a known menace, as is the case here, should mean a more organized, deliberate response.

The answer to this illogical situation is obvious: stock footage will only work if the entire movie is (allegedly) set in the same location as the footage. It's like having stock footage of the moon for a movie on scuba-diving; you can use it, but does it make sense?

Got to admit the title is pretty cool. 3/10.
  • Lame is a good way to describe this. A bunch of wasps exposed to cosmic radiation gets shot into space where it lands in central Africa, in an area called "GREEN HELL". Since this is a monster movie, they become giant, flightless (and stupid looking) monsters. The way this film is, you'd think that it was filmed in the 1930's. The tribal bearers run at the slightest bit of fear. The whilte men lift nothing. The only female character is whiny and basically there to be threatened. As far as 50's B movies go, this is more of a D film.
  • One can forgive ludicrous special effects in a low-budget 1950s sci-fi movie. However, what is not forgivable is glacial pacing and long periods of tedium. It is clear that the filmmakers had a difficult time padding this movie out even to the relatively short length of one hour and eleven minutes. To do so they resorted to splicing in large sequences of safari footage stolen from the 1939 African epic, "Stanley and Livingstone". The result is that most of this sci-fi monster film consists of nothing more than seemingly endless scenes of the characters trekking through Africa. While this was clearly meant to hold the viewers' interest, all it achieves is to leave the viewer feeling as weary as the characters on the screen appear to be. Frankly, while this story might have served for a decent 1/2-hour television episode, there clearly isn't enough substance here to sustain a full-length movie.
  • Test animals are shot into space, returning to crash-land just off the coast of Africa. Oh no! Native people are being attacked by some unknown creatures! Giant, buzzy bugs are on the move, sending humans and animals alike, fleeing in all directions! This occurs in the jungle of the title. Dr. Quent Brady (Jim Davis) finds out about the chaos, and sets out for the continent. He's convinced that r-a-d-i-a-t-i-o-n is to blame. A safari is organized, and Brady and company wait before beginning their arduous trek. Meanwhile, others perish needlessly. After three weeks (!), the safari finally gets underway. This is one long, drawn out safari! These people are walking 400 miles! Thankfully, tons of wild animal stock footage and Brady's dull narration stand in for any real excitement! Lots more walking takes place. Enough walking to make even the viewer's feet hurt! Where are those big bugs when we need them? The safari plods on, burning up valuable film time. Various hardships strike, having nothing to do w/ monsters. Still more walking. An outpost is reached. Brady enjoys an organ recital in the bush. On and on it goes. By the time the group arrives at their destination, it hardly matters. MONSTER FROM GREEN HELL is an endurance test, much like holding hot coals in your hand. A must for the movie masochist! The pain is exquisite! EXTRA POINTS: For the cheeeze-tastic, jumbo-sized, mutated wasps. Their fleeting appearances are the only joy to be found here...
  • Sometimes numbingly mediocre movie about a bunch of guys and a gal in the jungle, punctuated by giant wasps who attack the actors. It looks like the only reason they dressed the hero in that ridiculous white dandy suit was so he would match the guy in the stock footage, which looks like it was lifted from some silent jungle adventure movie. Really a lot of laughs with a crowd. But, also a really bad movie.
  • I want to make this perfectly clear. I've heard lots of people talking about this Monster From Green Hell film. It's all the rage with the kids today, I know. Well let me tell you what you're getting into with this film. There is no single monster in the film, there are several giant moths, that might be construed as monsters, but that would make the title MonsterS from Green Hell. Also, this Green Hell is talked about, I think, hard to hear through the terrible sound quality, but we never see it, and I'm pretty sure these moths didn't come from Green Hell. Plus the film's in black and white, thus there's no chance of seeing anything green. The proper title'd be Monsters from Dark Gray Hell. But I guess that doesn't have the same ring.

This is a very bad, boring, long, repetitious movie. By general movie standards it's quite poor. Next to movies like Orgy of the Dead, it's damn near watchable. A bunch of scientists end up making giant wasps (Hate it when that happens) so they have to trek through darkest Africa to stop them or something. They honestly don't seem intent on stoping them, nor are they truly prepared to handle them when they find them (A good deal of the crew are slaughtered).

The effects are bad, but you won't notice since the big bugs only appear in a cameo role at best...they're there in the beginning once or twice, then disappear until the "action-packed" finale. The rest of the time we're forced to sit through a rather tedious walk through of Africa, complete with stupid narration, idiotic characters, and some rather racist stuff as well (The white characters get a whole bunch of Africans to do all their dirty work for them, it's really all quite racist). And the white characters, well they can't get much whiter. One of them dresses in white as well, like Tom Wolfe on his most white day.

Racial politics of the fifties aside, this movie isn't much fun, nor is it scary or even campy. In a word: bland.