User Reviews (56)

• This is one of the dumbest movies ever made - but I still get a kick out of watching it over and over again. First - John Carradine is vaporized in an atomic lab explosion and yet an invisible invader (which somehow has to drag its feet in the sand as it walks) can still take over the body. Second - if someone got on the P.A. at a hockey game today and said the world is about the end, some of the guys in the cheap seats would go up there and beat him up instead of running away. Third - how many times can they use the same scene of the zombies stumbling down the hill outside the army bunker? This movie is so stupid, it's frightening, but for some reason I love it.
  • I have seen Invivisble Invaders a couple of times now and found it rather enjoyable, despite reading some bad reviews about it.

Invivisble aliens plan to take over the world by taking over dead bodies, that make the humans zombies. A small group of scientists go to hide in a cave to find a way to defeat these aliens and they eventually succeed by making a device that makes high pitched sounds, which is the aliens' weakness. After killing several of these in this way, their flying saucer appears and is destroyed and the world is saved.

The special effects are not too bad for a low budget movie and the music score is rather eerie.

The movie stars sci fi regulars John Agar (Tarantula, The Brain From Planet Arous), Robert Hutton (The Colossus Of New York, The Slime People), horror star John Carradine (The House Of Frankenstein, The Black Sleep) and Jean Byron as the love interest.

This movie is worth seeking out, especially for fans of 1950's science fiction like myself.

Rating: 3 stars out of 5.
  • Shuffling reincarnated zombies.. reanimated by Invisible invaders? If you call your self a zombie fan then you HAVE TO SEE THIS...

STRANGE.. BUT Interesting... on a double bill with "fiend without a face".. it freaked out movie goers by the thousands..

i find it a very interesting movie,,, flawed.. but without a doubt... very very much worth a viewing...

"THE DEAD WILL KILL THE LIVING" so sayeth John Carradine!!

Adam Tanner.. you have had your warning..

the zombies walk just like the zombies in NOTLD, the make-up is very much the same as NOTLD and the eeriness is also obviously borrowed 10 years later as a basis for NOTLD... I cant believe John Russo or George Romero have never admitted to this fact. In much the same way that ALIEN was based on IT! The terror from Beyond Space!!
  • We don't see too much of John Carradine, but we sure hear a lot from him as the disembodied voice of the Invisible Invaders coming to a planet near you.

Carradine's a scientist who is killed in a lab explosion. His cadaver is then used by a group of aliens who are invisible to communicate with fellow scientist Phillip Tonge. Tonge's a Linus Pauling type, wanting the world to disarm before Armeggeddon. Of course one encounter with the invisible crowd and he's seen the error of his ways.

The aliens attack, opening the cemeteries and letting loose a gang of zombies on the world. Humans retreat to the underground and in one such bunker is Tonge, his daughter Jean Byron, fellow scientist Robert Hutton and John Agar to lend some military muscle to the project of finding the weapon that will destroy the invisible fiends.

Though it's not quite as campy as Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Invisible Invaders is right up there. If I had to make a guess as to which player appeared in more garbage in his career, the answer would be John Carradine. His film career lasted over 50 years and a voice that gave life to Shakespeare was used for science fiction at it's worst.

I think Carradine just liked the paycheck and he also probably just loved hamming it up in parts like these. He made a lot of these awful films somewhat endurable.

Robert Hutton and John Agar were a couple of once promising players who had seen their best days and now were scratching out a living in science fiction. Jean Byron though would shortly see her career part as Patty Duke's mother in the Patty Duke Show.

But I'll bet she never saw sights in Brooklyn Heights like these invisible ones.
  • Invisible invaders arrive in invisible spaceships and warn Earth they can and will take over the planet in three days. To do this they take over the bodies of the recently dead. Sound familiar? Well hold on because this 1959 thriller got here before PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE (1959), LAST MAN ON EARTH (1962), and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968). John Carradine picked up a quick paycheque playing Dr. Karol Noymann, a scientist killed in a lab explosion who becomes the first one resurrected by the aliens. (Interesting enough "Karol Noymann" was also the name of a scientist in the 1957 sci/fi'er THE GIANT CLAW directed by Fred F. Sears. Coincidence?) Air Force officer John Agar and spineless scientist Robert Hutton spend way too much of the 66 minute movie fighting over who gets to fall in love with femme physicist Jean Byron. The briefly seen alien invaders look suspiciously like the title monster in IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE; and since Edward L. Cahn directed both pictures it is highly likely that he did not want to waste a chance to re-use the costume. Many movies ask us to suspend our disbelief but this one demands we leave all logic outside before we enter the cinema. The aliens, via Mr. Carradine, inform us that they invaded the moon 20,000 years ago and destroyed the civilisation living there. They have also managed to make everything on their planet invisible, which probably means they spend a lot of time bumping into things. The destruction of Earth is accomplished by stock footage from action serials and newsreel footage of real life disasters. B-movie fans will note that Hal Torey, playing a farmer killed by Agar in self defence and then returned to life as an invader, proved such a memorable figure that MTV exploited his image in commercials and on t-shirts for much of the late 1980's. Also showing up briefly is Chuck Niles who played the mad hunchback in Jerry Warren's memorable TEENAGE ZOMBIES. John Agar had fought monsters before in TARANTULA, THE MOLE PEOPLE and many others. He finally became a monster himself in the rarely seen 1962 thriller HAND OF DEATH. Robert Hutton would soon meet up with THE MAN WITHOUT A BODY (1959) and THE SLIME PEOPLE (1963). For all it's low budget short-comings this is a fun film; just the sort to make a Saturday afternoon enjoyable.
  • Spooky little horror film that had tentacles which reached far and wide. Many other filmmakers may have taken a dip in this cinematic pool. Don't snicker. Checkout the walking stiffs in business suits staggering around the countryside. Remind you of anyone? The last survivors--holed up in some sought of army bunker--predict a future bird flick. The clash between scientists, civilians and the military is always a staple of the action genre. There may be others, but I would have to watch it again. I first saw this on Creature Feature back in the 70's. It spooked me out to the degree that I swore off this type of movie until Chiller Theatre came on later that night. I came across it again about a dozen years ago when it turned up on New Year's Eve. Weird. Someone's idea of a joke? Recently, I bought it in tandem with another John Agar film called Journey to the Seventh Planet. John Carradine stumbles around as one of the corpses and does very well. Some of the extensive stock footage defies logic. A plane crashes into a marked bulls-eye on a hillside. It looked like a military training ground. The invaders are defeated with the simplest of weapons. They usually are.
  • funkyfry5 October 2007
    Eddie Cahn's "Invisible Invaders" is a fun film despite its extremely low budget, especially for fans of the genre, thanks to an interesting premise and memorable performances from genre stars John Carradine and John Agar. Despite a few comments here, the film did not inspire Ed Wood's famous (or infamous) "Plan 9 From Outer Space" – in fact it was almost certainly the other way around. "Plan 9" was completed 3 years earlier and remained unreleased until shortly after "Invaders" made it to the screen. I would urge people to consider the connections between Ed Wood, AIP, and Edward Cahn. It's difficult or me not to believe that word of Wood's film had reached Alex Gordon and Cahn.

It might seem odd to say that Wood's concept was good enough to copy, but although "Plan 9" does lack something in terms of production quality, the idea of alien invaders to attack Earth was exciting and new. Wood used the premise to combine science fiction with visual elements of Gothic horror but Cahn's film is more straightforward – his zombies attack in broad daylight en masse. The similarity to a military situation is probably not accidental; after all these "zombies" are actually the invisible invaders themselves, and this is their army. They are doing battle, likewise, with army people including Major Jay (Agar). This contrasts, again, with the more old-school Wood graveyard confrontation with detectives – Wood's fascination with combining detectives with the undead probably stems from Tod Browning's "Mark of the Vampire" which Wood certainly saw in the mid 1930s, but Cahn is interested in depicting the undead in a startlingly non-Gothic style in this film in strong contrast to other Cahn zombie films like "Zombies of Mora Tau." The way the zombies were done here had an obvious influence on the most influential zombie film of all-time, George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead." One could also make an interesting contrast between the 2 films based on the military angle – in Cahn's film Major Jay is initially depicted as a bit gun crazy but eventually he becomes the hero, while Wood's film mocks the military by portraying them as even more confused and reckless than the goofy aliens.

What else can I say about the film? It's worth watching to me just to hear John Carradine's cavernous voice chanting lines like "The dead will kill the living" while a giant globe spins on screen. Agar is fun in this film like he pretty much always is, and Jean Byron is an unusually engaging female protagonist. It does seem to take her character far too long to figure out what a cad Robert Hutton's scientist character is, however. Most of the film was shot in Griffith Park around the area of Bronson Canyon a.k.a. "Robot Monster Cave," so that provides some additional interest for fans like me who've made the pilgrimage to the famous spot (used in such films as "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "It Conquered the World"). A lot of comments on here complain about the use of stock footage but I thought it enhanced the production value of the film beyond what it otherwise would have been. It's a reasonably professional film with fun actors and an exciting premise so to me it's a bit of a minor classic.
  • Invisible aliens stationed on the moon have had enough of Earth's atomic tomfoolery. So they use reanimated dead bodies of humans to let the nations of the world know they mean business, delivering an ultimatum that Earth better surrender to them or else! Now a group of people gather together in a bunker laboratory to work on a way to defeat the invisible invaders while zombies lurk outside.

Edward L. Cahn directed this campy and cheap sci-fi movie with a muddled anti-nuke message. The special effects are poor with an overuse of stock footage and a monotone narration (one of the staples of no-budget sci-fi flicks back in the day). Still, Cahn produces a reasonable amount of atmosphere and it kept my interest throughout. The short runtime helps. It stars washed-up stars John Agar, John Carradine, and Robert Hutton, along with Jean Byron (of Patty Duke Show fame) and venerable character actor Philip Tonge. Other reviewers have pointed out that the movie might have inspired Night of the Living Dead. Whether that's truly the case or not, I don't know, but it is certainly something for movie buffs to chew on. Not a particularly good picture but fun in its way. Fans of '50 sci-fi will like it more than most.
    Evil invisible aliens resurrect the dead in order to take over the Earth. It's up to an intrepid handful of folks to figure out a way to stop them before it's too late. Competently directed by Edward L. Cahn, with a steady pace, a roaring melodramatic score by Paul Dunlap, a reasonable amount of spooky atmosphere, a pleasingly tight 67 minute running time, nifty and acceptable low-fi special effects, crisp black and white cinematography by Maury Gertsman, a nice sense of mounting dread, and cool moments of mass destruction, this modest, yet effective affair makes for an entertaining quickie romp. The sound acting from an able cast helps a lot, with especially praiseworthy work by John Agar as the rugged, no-nonsense Major Bruce Jay, Philip Tonge as the weary, disillusioned Dr. Adam Penner, Jim Hutton as the stalwart Dr. John Lamont, and Jean Byron as Penner's fetching daughter Phyllis. The ubiquitous John Carradine only appears briefly as the ill-fated Dr. Karol Noymann, but both his gaunt, cadaverous face and deep, gloomy voice are put to satisfyingly creepy use. Moreover, the central plot serves as a neat precursor to "Night of the Living Dead;" the shots of pasty-faced zombies trudging across the landscape are pretty eerie and impressive. A fun fright flick.
  • This is typical 1950's B movie fare but I think it is a few notches above the rest. Ok, the acting is a bit hammy and campy even with the talents of John Agar, John Carradine and Jean Byron. The idea of the film is unique. Aliens, invisible to humans land on earth, inhabit the bodies of the dead to take over the planet. There are some stretches of boredom as frantic scientists and military personel try and figure out a way to combat the "invisible invaders", but at certain times this movie can give off a few chills. The reason for this is because at certain times, the movie resembles "Night Of The Living Dead" some 9 years earlier. The scenes of the "invaders" rumbling around as the recently revived dead are quite effective. The dead are almost as convincing as they were in "NOTLD". They roam around seemingly with no purpose though they do have one, arms outstreched, emotionless faces with darkened eyes. Quite effective and chilling in certain areas. Rest assured this movie is not "NOTLD" and pretty much is typical B fare but it does provide glimpses of a soon to come clasic and can give you a chill or two. I'd say rent it or better yet, buy it for your collection. It's fun!
    About one minute into "Invisible Invaders" John Carradine blows up. I thought, "Hey, I'm really going to like this film." By the time the end credits rolled I knew I had just watched a masterpiece. Through out most of the movie the actors have worried expressions on their faces. They typically gather in a medium shot frame and don't move around much because that would require another camera set up. There isn't time for lots of camera set ups because the world is in great peril. Invisible aliens are invading the Earth. These invisible aliens are a pretty nasty bunch because they inhabit the bodies of dead humans and move about three feet per hour as they invade the world. The heroes of the story retreat to the bat cave where they try to come up with a solution to stop the invaders and save the earth before it is completely destroyed via stock footage. The movie ends on a hopeful note with the narrator proclaiming that the United Nations can solve all the world's problems (I'm guessing President Bush wouldn't be a fan of the political position of the film, but then he never has had to deal with invisible invaders.)
  • Watching Invisible Invaders will make you aware of something -- that Night Of The Living Dead (which came 9 years later) is a truly impressive piece of film-making. While there were certainly worse films made in the 1950s, the mere existance of worse films will not cause me to praise Invisible Invaders for being better than those others. This film is bad on so many levels (silly stock footage, inept editing, rotten acting, bad writing, etc.). Small children will buy into all of it and find it terrifying (my 8-year-old and 5-year-old loved it) but anyone over the age of 9 will likely be disappointed. I had fond memories of this film from childhood -- wish I hadn't watched it as an adult.
    Oh boy!, this is one of the best bad movies you'll ever see, with elements of horror and sci-fi blending together to produce a cult classic. It's got one of those 'warning from outer space' themes, complete with invisible aliens who make their point with Earthlings by taking over dead bodies and wreaking havoc and destruction all over the world. The influence on 1968's "Night of the Living Dead" is unmistakable, but made comical by what looks like an army of zombies fresh from a Raymond Burr look alike contest.

I got a kick out of the aliens' first warning - one of the invisible invaders takes over the corpse of a pilot that crashed into the side of a mountain; there was a huge '+' target on the side of the mountain when it hit! Apparently, the aliens had a penchant for American sporting events, as they interrupt a hockey match and an event at a large stadium to make their televised threats to mankind.

Say, do you think their space ships could really have been made out of crumpled aluminum foil?

The goofy story line is remarkably enhanced by some of the best lines in a sci-fi flick ever. The one in my subject line is a favorite, and how about when Phyllis Penner (Jean Byron) warns Major Jay (John Agar) about leaving the bunker to trap an alien - "There's enough radiation out there to kill you, please be careful". Armed with a contamination suit, a shovel and a rope, Major Jay traps an alien by luring one of those walking corpses into an acrylic pit - "Looks like we caught ourselves an invader". (I just write 'em, I don't explain 'em, you'll just have to see it).

Ultimately, the 'vast scientific knowledge' of Professors Penner (Philip Tonge) and Lamont (Robert Hutton) lead to the alien defeat, but not before their military bunker that can withstand a direct A-bomb blast is incapacitated by a smashed beaker of chemicals. This is one flick you'll be sorry to see end, believe me.

The most clever bit - a newspaper front page with the caption - 'First Photo of an Invisible Invader' - it was blank. Beautiful!!!
  • Invisible Invaders (1959)

** (out of 4)

Incredibly silly film about an invisible alien who comes to Earth to once again try to wipe us all out. Thankfully for us humans Maj. Bruce Jay (John Agar) is on hand to try and save us. INVISIBLE INVADERS has the reputation of being one of the worst films ever made but I think that's a tad bit too harsh for a number of reasons. The biggest for me is that it's hard for a 66-minute movie to be the worst ever made because the filmmakers are at least smart enough to not keep giving us stuff to make the movie run longer than it should. The 66-minutes actually go by rather fast for the most part and this is always a good thing. Another thing this film has going for it is that we're given some familiar names that cult and "B" movie fans are going to know. Agar certainly looks a bit tired here but maybe he just wasn't feeling good during the production. He's at least entertaining and has no problem carrying the film. John Carradine appears briefly at the start of the picture and while he's certainly not reaching the levels he did in THE GRAPES OF WRATH, it's still fun seeing him. Jean Byron plays the female/love interest and does a nice job as well. Robert Rutton is also in the cast and adds some charm. The special effects are pretty bland as usually we just gets piles of dirt "moving" to show us the invisible creature or we get branches moving. These certainly aren't groundbreaking but at the same time they could have been a lot worse. There's some stock footage used throughout with the funniest bit happening when a plane crashes, due to the aliens, but the stock footage is from a test run and you can see the "X" mark to where it's supposed to hit.
  • Carradine exploding in his lab at the start of this thing truly is a hilarious moment, and the film threatens constantly to tell us its tongue is in its cheek, but in the end the producers and director keep it within the boundaries of dour seriousness and quite possibly the worst movie of all time is the result. Mind bogglingly stupid on a mind bogglingly low budget with once respectable actors whose careers mind bogglingly came to this kind of pathetic dead end. A cult classic this should be for its kitschy awfulness and quotable bad lines. Plan 9 from Outer Space and Ed Wood unfairly get the rap for worst movie ever made. There are worse out there, Earthings. Keep watching the skies!
  • Obviously, a cut above "Planet 9 from Outer Space". It has good suspense and adequate production quality for the time, genre, and apparently the film's low budget. I would have loved it at the Saturday coke-bottle-top matinée as a 10 year old. It probably inspired many a producer/director's subsequent "zombie" movie. All in all, a tedious 1950's "good U.S. earthlings versus the heartless alien invaders" movie, which can be appreciated only as campy fun. Unfortunately, todays alien invaders are more insidious, not so identifiable, but just as deadly. Sad to see John Agar, who was a pretty good actor given his prior work, in such a stinker.
    During the Fifties, studios churned out hundreds of low budget science fiction films, some awful, many good. Often the starting point was that radiation from A-bomb tests was causing headaches for Mankind, making people radioactive was one of the few things it did not do! Films about unseen aliens were popular, mainly because they negated the need for make-up and special effects. 'Invisible Invaders', directed by Edward Cahn from a screenplay by Sam Newman, was typical.

Scientist Dr.Karol Noymann ( John Carradine ) is killed when an experiment goes wrong. Another scientist, Penner ( Philip Tonge ), receives a visit from the dead Noymann, whose corpse has been reanimated by hostile aliens. They claim to have a base on the Moon, from which they will launch an all-out attack unless we stop meddling with atomic power. Penner tries to warn the world but is treated like a lunatic. The aliens commence the attack. They reanimate the dead all over the world, and panic ensues.

Penner, along with a few other scientists, a pretty girl and a military officer ( John Agar ) retreat to an underground bunker to endeavour to find a solution to the problem...

What is interesting about this picture is that the walking dead bear a striking similarity to those in George A.Romero's 'Night Of The Living Dead', nearly a decade in the future. The same blank, glassy-eyed stare, the lumbering gait, the outstretched arms, about the only thing they do not do is actually eat anybody.

Despite its Poverty Row status ( stock footage of collapsing buildings is used to represent the Earth in peril ), the picture manages a few genuinely suspenseful moments, such as the scientist's experimentation on a captured zombie. Alas it has a few hokey moments too, most notably the possessed pilot informing spectators at an ice hockey match that their world is doomed. Hearing this, they flee in terror ( its like something of an old Three Stooges short ). But the good points outweigh the bad.

John Agar has acquired something of a cult following amongst bad movies buffs, and while he was never in danger of winning an Oscar is actually no worse than many other Fifties leading men ( and knocks spots off Keanu Reeves! ). Robert Hutton later starred in another daft picture about invading aliens - 'They Came From Beyond Space' ( 1967 ).

Rather than snarkily denigrating low budget 50's sci-fi films, we should treasure them for succeeding as entertainment, something many modern big budget productions ( the remake of 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' comes to mind ) consistently fail to do.
  • I have to admit this was fun to watch despite how ridiculously silly it was or maybe because of that. This isn't a zombie movie in the modern sense, but a sci-fi alien offshoot of the mind-controlled zombies out of the voodoo genre. It's a big slice of black & white American cheese all the way which seems to use a lot of disaster stock footage for invasion scenes that involve conventional sabotage, but it manages to be pretty entertaining anyways.

The director also made 50's sci-fi movie "It! The Terror from Beyond Space" (which helped inspire lots of trapped on a spaceship with a creature film, including "Alien") and the swimming zombified sailors guarding buried treasure film "Zombies of Mora Tau" (which I still haven't seen yet as of writing this review).

THE PLOT: A scientist ditches out on his gov't job because he opposes nukes. A fellow scientist killed in an experiment walks up to his house and has a chat with him, but its not his friend. It's an alien who is none too happy with where out technological advancements are headed (reaching nuclear technology and space travel) and the threat they could pose to their outer space alien race and they want us to surrender or die (this was a common sci-fi plot thread back in the day). They are apparently invisible as are their spaceships awaiting us at their hidden base on the moon and the aliens can take over corpses and walk around in them sabotaging our planet. It's a race against time for the scientists to find a method to combat the alien menace before the walking dead breach the military bunker.

It doesn't have a lot of the elements of modern zombie films like gut munching or turning from being bitten (though the aliens will inhabit your body if you are killed), but it's kinda fun and has some good silly quotes. So bad you might think it's good 50's sci-fi fun.
    What a bright idea! How to save thousands of dollars on your "B" movie adventure: Make your invaders invisible! As implied, this is an extremely low-budget, sci-fi horror melodrama from the Robert E. Kent—Edward L. Cahn pill-box. The screenplay by Sam Newman (obviously penned in his lunch hour at CBS TV), begins with some ineptly padded introductory scenes before switching to an enormous amount of stock footage which turns out to be considerably more interesting than the movie itself. Indeed, when the movie itself resumes and director Cahn takes the reins, entertainment flies out the window. Mr. Cahn's painfully inept direction gleans only a minimum of atmosphere and tension from some quite promising Newman material. Admittedly, Cahn is not helped by his fourth-rate cast. The stars, John Agar, Jean Byron and Robert Hutton are particularly weak. Available on an excellent Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer DVD.
    Low budget Sci-Fi directed by Edward L. Cahn. The Earth is being attacked by mysterious invisible invaders. Due to the Earth's atmosphere the attackers are invisible and must reanimate into bodies of the dead. Dr. Noymann(John Carradine) tries to warn of the impending attack, but is killed and his corpse will be used to urge his scientific partner Dr. Adam Penner(Philip Tonge)to forewarn the world of its doom. Major Bruce Jay(John Agar)is put in charge of shuttling a concerned group to a top secret research center, where an ultra-sonic gun is developed to combat the attacking aliens utilizing rotting corpses.

This black & white feature only runs about 67 minutes, but is worth watching. The primitive special effects are part of the fun watching. Don't expect more than mediocre acting. Other players: Jean Bryon, Robert Hutton and Paul Langton.
    Admittedly, I expected this to be far worse than it turned out. I imagined that in far less capable hands (Ed Wood, as an example), "Invisible Invaders" could have been a disaster to laugh at. However, in the competent directorial reins of Edward L Cahn, this turns out far better than it has any right to be. This little, 68 minute B-movie sci-fi effort from United Artists has an alien invasion, cloaked intentionally in invisibility, purposely plans to overthrow and dominate the earth for their own colonization. Taking the bodies of the dead, the invisible alien invaders emanate a radioactivity that reads their presence in the area, producing a way of warning for the heroes holed up in a secret military bunker (which can withstand an atomic blast as intended) designed for them to have equipment and devices to be used for experimentation. Collected in this bunker are Major Jay (resident in the B-movie universe, John Agar), the soldier/protector of the group, scientists, Dr. Penner (Philip Tonge) and Lamont (Robert Hutton), and Penner's daughter, Phyllis (Jean Byron). Penner was head of a nuclear program, associated with a renowned and dead scientist, Noymann (John Carradine). Penner resigns after Noymann accidentally kills himself in a nuclear blast that destroys his lab. Penner is the first to be "greeted" by an alien invader, taking Noymann's body as a host to forewarn the world of what awaits them. In the bunker, the group will be tasked to come up with a way to stop the invisible invaders as the world is toiling in apocalyptic chaos. Will they be able to find an answer at saving the human race?

To think that the fate of humanity lies in four people inside a small bunker in some Podunk rural locale hidden from society at large. Small-scale in as far as the setting, but large-scale in the overall story of how a minute band of characters will have to conceal their anxieties of the current nightmarish situation and the claustrophobic entrapment of the bunker in order to find the weakness (the kink in the armor, so to speak) of the global-threatening enemy, hoping to exterminate the invisible invaders. Carradine fans shouldn't expect to see a great deal of him; this was a way to use (exploit?) the assets he does bring to a film. I mean, he is on the cover of prints for the film. The makeup work is essential to the creepy factor this movie has going for it. The farmer himself is an ideal model for the zombie design that came into form a decade later. When Carradine emerges inside the house of Tonge, it is quite an introduction! The way the makeup lines Carradine's face and his foreboding voice: this sets up the invasion plot neatly. Tonge is so damn good, he actually elevates the plot, and let's face it, this has quite a bill of goods to convincingly sell to an audience. Hutton gets saddled with a part that many might consider a "cowardly nuisance in scientist's clothes", but he does what he can despite of how it undermines him. Byron has the love triangle beauty that courageous and authoritative military man, Agar, and ready-to-pee-in-his-pants, "let's go ahead and surrender" scientist, Hutton, vie for. I think the sight of the undead, either walking the countryside or on the monitor in the bunker, has a nicely unsettling look. The "sound device" is an interesting method of defeating the enemy, using sound waves as a means to circumvent their ascent. The use of movie and stock footage to recognize the alien invasion's success is quite effective; this is using resources imaginatively and cleverly when stuck with a minuscule budget. The resignation of Tonge, as he wishes for Washington to recognize what the H-bomb did to the air we breath, and even perhaps the atmosphere of earth, is an interesting precursor to the global warming debate of today.
  • When I'm feeling down a bit, I love to watch old B-Horror movies. This one has wonderful elements. It has a cast of characters who confront an invasion from space, zombies, a pretty boy macho soldier (John Agar), the pretty daughter of the scientist who becomes an intermediary to the aliens, a cowardly guy with a pencil thin mustache, John Carradine, invisible people who seem to drag their feet through soft earth, stock footage from various disasters (including one where a man in a Nazi helmet runs along a wall toward a bombed out building). What more can one ask for. There are sonic ray guns, failed attempts, fights, romance, tough talk, etc. This one is less tacky than some of the offerings and it has a good heart. I wondered why the aliens felt the necessity to announce their coming. They could have just moved in and avoided a lot of trouble. I guess they were just trying to avoid using their resources, but they really underestimated the resolve of cold war America (of course, the rest of the world was involved as well). One other issue is the ease with which this little band of rebels was able to put together weapons within a few minutes. But, as is the case with most of these movies, better left unquestioned.
  • That famous film phrase, actually incorrect by military terms, kind of sums up the way a lot of viewers must feel about this movie. The film isn't that bad in concept, but mistakes, goofs and continuity fluffs drag it down far more than it should be. The acting is standard for the genre. Agar is the predictable Air Force major, in yet another military and science versus the invaders epic. They're all there: the obligatory lead scientist, his beautiful daughter, the cowardly fiancée (who obviously eventually loses her to Agar), plastic commanding general and an assortment of dead brought to life to conquer the world ("Plan 9 From Outer Space" did this bit three years before but didn't get released in 1956 because Ed Wood ran out of money). The goofs include radioactive air that somehow can not get up under a loosely-fitting protective hood; a standard truck cabin that is somehow protected from radioactivity coming inside even when the door is opened and the driver is only wearing a suit; ropes that loop conveniently around a fallen invader lying at the bottom of a pit filled with acrylic; and, oh yes, film footage so old you will wonder which century these invaders came to earth anyway. So there you have it. Over and out. ~
    This movie comes in at he end of the 50's (1959), it's a typical B movie with some funny moments along the way. John Carradine appears at the beginning in a lab explosion, then aliens take over his body and he is like their puppet, but he is invisible and can make himself visible again to you when he wants a chat. The aliens want to take over the world by inhabiting dead humans who will take out the living, kind of like 'The Living Dead' all wandering around in suits. There's some funny scenes and science along the way - like the plane that crashes into a hill with a giant X marks the spot - and the zombiefied guy who walks into the puddle so they can plaster cast him. Then they invent a gun which looks like it was knocked up in a woodwork class, that turns the zombie into a piles of soap bubbles. Some corny monotone lines and wires holding things up are all part of the fun in these old films, it's good fun if you don't take it too seriously.
  • Super low budget everything. Fun to watch.

There are some proven first rate actors in this movie but they really don't have anything to work with in the script or budget.

Keeping the aliens invisible was definitely a money saver:)