• Saw this when I was 11 years old, I recall the rocket fighters sent up by the Earth Forces are based on the X-15 rocket plane. One thing I remember-and it moved me at the time, and is one of the movie's strengths-is the scene where the earth space ships go past the area where the space station was destroyed-and you see the bodies of the crew. The action moves at a brisk pace, no long winded speeches or philosophizing. The SFX are pretty good for the time. As a side issue, I got a chuckle when I saw "Star Wars" in 1977, I recognized the "futuristic weapons" as being models of British Lee Enfields, German MG-42 machine guns, Heckler & Koch submachine guns.
  • I saw this film in 1960 playing with "The Time Machine" as a double feature. Though not as rich in story line as "The Mysterians" this film really takes off when the two Speep earthships go to the moon to battle a base set up by the planet Matal who also fly "Mysterian" style flying saucers. On the moon the action really starts with marvelous raygun battles between the enemy and earth forces. The earth forces possess a marvelous heat ray cannon as well as smaller but potent raygun rifles. Later in the film, the earth forces battle invading flying saucers and a mother ship with X-15 styled fighter craft equipped with heat ray guns. The finale with the mother ship's ray gun destroying Toyko is done quite well.

For the time this film was made, the special effects are quite good. Considering my nickname is ray-gun 3, this is a ten star IMDb vote scale film in that department. I think the best scene in the film is on the moon where one of the crew stays behind with his ray rifle destroying flying saucers so the earth force can get away in their Speep spaceship. This scene is one of the best piece of special effects I have scene in this type of movie. A thought to remember is the film was made 17 to 18 years before "Star Wars". An outstanding accomplishment by Toho studios.
    "Battle in Outer Space" is another gem from Toho Studios. The film boasts some excellent (for 1959) special effects. The color print is stunning as well. The plot is similar to "The Mysterians" with aliens trying to take over mankind. In the end of course, earth triumphs over the aliens. The acting is decent, the dubbing is passable. The music score is done well. The real star of this film are the outer space scenes. I really enjoyed the spacecraft as well as the battle scenes. Toho Studios are more well known for their monster films (Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra)but these space films are just as good. If you get a chance, catch this as well as "The Mysterians".
  • I saw "Uchu daisenso" or as it was titled when I saw it, Battle in Outer Space" when I was a kid- a long time ago. Now of course the inevitable comparison to modern space operas will reduce the impact of this simple picture, but taken in the context in which I first viewed it, this was a really cool movie. For starters, it was in glorious color, a rarity in sci-fi in the late 50's I can tell you. I saw a lot of horror and sci-fi movies when I was kid and color was rare. And like most Japanese sci-fi imports of the time this was the whole world united against the invading alien hordes. Yeah a little like Independence Day but In "Uchu daisenso" the United Earth already existed. It didn't take an invasion from outer space to unite the planet. Good (relatively speaking!) effects, a noble if simple plot, combined with beautiful Eastmancolor and this was the perfect drive-in movie.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It is certainly paced slower than modern sci-fi movies, but the action moved along at a good pace nonetheless. The backgrounds, matte work, color and special effects were very impressive.

The one conceivable flaw was that there were no stand out actors or personal relationships (no love interest as there was in the original Godzilla). This may have been intentional as the story meant to emphasize a global effort against a ruthless and cruel invader.) I would rate this on the upper scale of Toho's scifi efforts (anotehr under-rated, under-viewed film would be "H-Men").

If you are a kaiju fan you will not be disappointed.
  • Pint-size aliens from the planet Natal are bent on conquering the Earth in this colorful space opera from the heyday of Toho Studios. Second in a trilogy of space-themed movies directed by the inimitable Ishiro Honda (the other two being "The Mysterians" and "Gorath") this is pure mindless fun.

The special effects may seem dated now, but for the time they were first-rate, much better than your average sci-fi and far superior to any of the monster films Toho cranked out from the mid-60s onward. This was definitely not done on the cheap: The sets are well thought-out, the astronomical backgrounds detailed and quite convincing.

Eiji Tsuburaya's intricate miniature work is amazing as always. The voyage to the Moon, the fight on the lunar surface, and the final showdown (with souped-up X-15s squaring off against alien saucers and a huge mother ship) are elaborately staged and exciting.

Which is why it's easy to forgive the occasional cheesy bits. For instance, when the beautiful SPIP rockets are taking off for the Moon, Honda illustrates the effects of high-G by having one of the crewmen put his hands on either side of his face and *pull* the flesh back. I also suspect they were running out of funds (the film's only 74 minutes long) when it came time to shoot the scene where the alien mother ship tears up downtown Tokyo with a gravity-reversing ray. Although it's a clever effect, apparently achieved by building the models on top of compressed air jets, the sequence feels too short. Plus the miniatures just don't look quite as detailed or realistic, when compared to other Toho films of the era.

My biggest complaint: In the one scene where you actually meet the aliens in the flesh (sort of) they're in spacesuits which make them look like midget Michelin Men and they sound like a bunch of squeaky dog toys. When a crowd of them "menaces" the heroine, there's not a ray gun in the bunch; all they can can do is shuffle, wave their arms and squeak. Not very intimidating, to say the least. (If anything, they're hilariously reminiscent of that roomful of sex-crazed Cub Scouts in Woody Allen's "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex".)

But the good far outweighs the not-so-good in this romp. In a theater, in its original Tohoscope (Toho Studios' equivalent of Cinemascope), it must have been something to see.

(Update: In 2007, an outfit called Monsters in Motion released "Uchu Daisenso" on DVD -- in letterbox, in the original Japanese with English subtitles -- as part of their "Toho Masters" series. With its companion piece "Gorath" available from MiM, and Tokyo Shock's gorgeous edition of "The Mysterians", Honda's entire space trilogy is now obtainable in the original, unedited widescreen versions.)
  • Battle in Outer Space brings back some happy memories. I recall seeing this movie at the local Strand Theatre. I was (10) years old at the time and it was such a revelation to see an outer space film in "Color". In those days most Saturday afternoon Sci-Fi was in B/W. True, there were a few high dollar efforts like War of the Worlds and Forbidden Planet but for the money, or lack there of, this "B" films brilliant colors & special effects (loved those jitter-bugging saucers)held its own with the big boys. I recently bought a Japanese DVD version at eBay, with English subtitles, and believe me it's just not the same as the dubbed English version. Forget the bad lip-sink, that "Voice of Doom" from the Natal Moon base is not nearly as ominous in Japanese. Glad to see others remember this little "B" gem too. Hope to see it properly released in DVD soon.
  • Ishiro Honda is the Steven Spielberg of Japan in that he created a huge body of work...big, exciting, fantasy movies of such number, quality and iconic value that he stands head and shoulders above his peers.

This film is among Honda's lesser known works, and is a rarity in that there is absolutely no Kaiju in this film, not even a robot Kaiju such as seen in the better-known 'The Mysterians'. And, in terms of the fantastic cinema of Japan, this is one of the more serious science fiction creations of the period, although containing many inaccuracies that would be glaring to anyone with the slightest familiarity to the work of George Pal.

This film features creative and interesting FX that vastly outshine most of what the US was producing at this time, and might even have the most complex miniature sets and sequences of anything produced by Toho during the classic period. There are large scale space ship dogfight sequences that anticipate Star Wars, which was done 17 years later.

The plot, while not profound, is sufficiently interesting and entertaining and the actors are good enough to make this an enjoyable escapist film. Thematically, this is classic Invasion Literature, with few new wrinkles thrown in...definitely straightforward, Honda doesn't give us anything ambiguous or subversive to chew over.

Any fan of old-school scifi and Kaiju films is liable to enjoy this one very much, it's just an impressive spectacle.
  • Aliens are causing havok on Earth. So a bunch of astronauts are sent to the moon to war with these little funny midget aliens. Just a big battle from beginning to end, with the aliens sucking up Tokyo at the end (man is that cool). It is basically like a Japanese Independence Day except not nearly as intense or violent
  • A truly great science fiction epic with plenty of futuristic hardware, alien invaders and cool spaceships. The best! It's finally available as of 2009 on DVD, although if you look hard you can find gray-market versions or bootlegs from Laserdiscs. The color is suitably lurid, the acting is done in earnest, the heroic Earth combatants do their best, the music is stirring -- it's really the PERFECT Japanese science fiction film! Why hasn't it been available before now on DVD?

The whole Earth joins together to fight the "interstellar bandits" as one actor calls the threat. The spirit of the entire production is tremendously uplifting. It's a terrific picture that holds together even with the sometimes goofy Japanese translations. Absolutely the stuff of dreams for any little kid that loves old science fiction movies. A genuine treasure. Buy this one now while it's available!
    A race of no-count aliens plan on invading earth. They make their base of operations on the moon. An expedition of folks made up of people from all over the world embark on a mission to the moon in order to thwart the dastardly extraterrestrials. Director Ishiro Honda relates the absorbing story at a reasonably snappy pace, maintains a serious tone throughout, and stages the stirring action with rip-roaring gusto. While the opening third is a bit slow and dull, the narrative fortunately picks up considerable steam and momentum once the mission is underway. The sequences on the moon are quite gripping and suspenseful. The spaceship dogfights are likewise very lively and exciting. Another memorable highlight occurs when the aliens destroy Tokyo. The cast give admirably sincere performances, with an especially stand-out turn by Yoshiro Tsuchiya as a scientist who falls prey to the aliens' ability to control human minds. Akira Ifukube contributes a robust and rousing score. Hajime Koizuma's bright color cinematography makes breathtaking use of the widescreen format. The squeaky-voiced aliens are a total hoot. Best of all, Eiji Tsuburaya's nifty and impressive special effects are truly something to behold, with striking matte paintings and nice miniatures (the opening scene with a train being wrecked rates as a particularly memorable moment). Moreover, there's even a positive and uplifting central message about how the human race can be a mighty and unbeatable force by banding together against a common foe. A solid and satisfying item.
  • This is Ishiro Hondas take on the classic space opera featuring alien invaders who have designs on Earth and will do anything to enslave mankind. This is a good, but not great, film. The only problem I have with it is that it tends to slow down during the scenes on Earth, especially the conference scenes. However, it picks up during the scenes on the moon and especially during the dogfight scenes featuring the rocket fighters battling the flying saucers. Also, in terms of acting, the best performance in this film definitely belongs to the great Yoshiyo Tsuchiya. Tsuchiya is excellent as the scientist who becomes possessed by the aliens, but becomes a hero who sacrifices himself after he is released from the alien control. He definitely makes this film more watchable.

Usually, one Ishiro Honda's science fiction films use two distinct themes. The first one is using his films as thinly veiled commentaries on socio-political issues (nuclear war, greed or commercialism) and the second is the world getting together for a common purpose. This film definitely follows the latter to a tee. This is definitely one where Honda uses his skill as a director to convey his wish that man would pull together for a common good instead of waiting until a major crisis to come together.

All in all this was a good film, but not a great one, but I still recommend it.
  • In 1957 Toho brought us The Mysterians in an attempt to cashin on the popularity of sci-fi movies in the west. It was commercially successful but in this guys eyes was an appalling film.

It spawned two sequels and this is the first of them. I expected bad, I just didn't expect it to be anywhere near as bad as this.

I'd give my usual brief on the story but I'd feel dirty in doing so. Partially because it's so recycled and partially because it's such an absolute mess.

Somehow it actually manages to look bad even for it's time, the writing is atrocious and the plot is a jumbled mess of incoherence, pseudo science and stupidity.

Toho made great moody bleak movies and became the kings of the kaiju films but sci-fi? What an embarassment.

The Good:

It ended

The Bad:

Awful plot

Incredibly ugly

Cringe inducing script

Things I Learnt From This Movie:

Gravity randomly turns on and off at will

Toho scifi is too bad even for the Scyfy channel
  • Dr. Immerman (played by Harold Conway)is my Grandfather and I this movie is great!! This fabulous movie is guaranteed to please any Sci Fi audience with lots of action & special effects and it captures the magic and nostalgia of the cinema of days gone by!
  • In the 1950s and 60s, quite a few Japanese sci-fi and horror films were sold to the US. Then, the studios chopped the films apart and inserted American actors into some of the scenes to supposedly make them more acceptable to the public. Perhaps this was true, but in all these cases you wish today that you could also see the original non-bastardized version as well. One of the most famous examples of this sort of film is the original "Godzilla"--where they added lots of footage of Raymond Burr saying and doing practically nothing of value! In fact, his pointless performance was parodied very cleverly on "Pinky & the Brain"...with Burr's character saying "...yes....yes...I see..." every time the camera cut to him! "Battle in Outer Space" was originally "Uchû Daisensô" but was sold to Columbia Pictures for American distribution and I assume, too, that changes were once again made for domestic distribution. Unlike many of these films, it has been unavailable for viewing due to the film's decomposition (the print turned red). Somehow, they've either restored it or found a decent copy, as recently it has finally been re-released on DVD as well as on local On Demand viewing--and I must say the glorious 1950s color is outstanding.

The film begins with a UFO attack on an Earth space station orbiting our planet. Soon, UFOs are seen all over the planet and naturally the governments of the Earth (led by the Japanese) are organizing to combat this. But the scourge is much worse--aliens have also been kidnapping humans and implanting them with devices to control them! And, when you think it can't get any worse, the aliens set up a base on the Moon--presumptively to use for an eventual attack on the planet. All this occurs just in the first 20 minutes! Can the human race survive in an eventual battle in outer space?! If you compare this to other space films of the era, "Battle in Outer Space" is actually quite exceptional--and is probably among the best. However, with huge advances in technology since this film was made, today it all comes off as very quaint. But, don't dismiss it so quickly--as I said, for its time it's very good. The action sequences (especially those in space where you can't see all the wires!) and effects are Japanese 1950s robot cool. The biggest weakness in the film is in its narrative and characters--which are a tad bland.

Thank goodness the Earth they had their flying weinermobiles! See the film and you'll know what I mean.
    In the future (1965!) alien invaders attack earth. They ride flying saucers and are able to control humans through microscopic brain implants. They destroy a giant, manned satellite and then proceed to build a base on the moon. Counterattack is soon launched and the battle is won after a few plot twists. TAKEN FOR WHAT IT IS (=Japanese 1950s low budget ) is is a very pleasant movie: SFX are good, era/genre wise. It is much better than THE MYSTERIANS. Character development is little (if anything). There are no meaningful plot twists, besides the "human controlled by aliens", played twice ( subplot often used in coming sci-fi series, namely the 1960s UFO ). Acting is mediocre and cardboard. There are a few incongruities: the first subdued human is an Indian scientist attending a secret convention to showcase the new weapons to use against the aliens. Interpol agents arrive chasing said Indian scientist...but how could they possibly know of his trance induced by aliens? Later, aliens attacks the 2 spaceships approaching the Moon. Yet, while said spaceships are exposed during the landing phase, aliens mysteriously disappear, to come back later. Again, no trace of the aliens during a few meaningful moments of vulnerability. Also watch out for the chase after prof. Achmed: more goofy&hilarious than Abbott&Costello! All in all a pleasant movie, but i'm not sure i'd watch it twice.
  • This movie is a fight for Planet Earth, which is being invaded by munchkin-like aliens from the planet Matel. This film is one big and continuous battle between the humans and aliens, involving lots of flying saucers, rockets and laser guns. The scene where the humans and aliens battle in outer space is an inspiring work of special effects, which closely resemble a battle fought in "Star Wars." And, that particular movie didn't come to theaters in another 18 years! Though the special effects by Eiji Tsuburaya are good, the plot in this movie was not inspiring and even boring at times (especially the beginning scenes where the people blabber with one another on the planet invasion case and on the weapon inspections). The human characters weren't very remarkable. Jojiro Okami and Shinichi Sekizawa's story is interesting, but the plot just wasn't intriguing. The action scenes were the saving grace of the film.

Overall, not one of the best and exciting of Toho's sci-fi movies.

Grade D
  • I've always been a sucker for these cheaply made films because I grew up on them but this one just doesn't have the lasting impact of the other films of this kind. Earth is of course attacked by martians in UFO's and the countries of the world unite to combat them. We send a crew of astronauts to their planet to stop them and then get ready for the battle royal back here on Earth. Although early on in the film their is to much talking and discussing on how to stop them, once the two ships leave for the planet then the film never ceases the action. But one thing that I think hurts the film is that the martians just don't leave a mark. We see them in one scene and they seem somewhat harmless. They are short with orange plastics suits and big helmets with lights on they're foreheads and have long noses! Not scary at all! So the rest of the film is just UFO's flying around. As silly and laughable as other films like "Mothra", "War of the Gargantuas", and "Rodan" at least those are memorable in their own way. This one seems to be easily forgotten. It just doesn't distinguish itself like the other films.
  • 1959's "Battle in Outer Space" is one of the more obscure Toho efforts, no giant monsters and few recognizable faces among the cast either. Theatrically double billed with Columbia's black and white "12 to the Moon," if nothing else it showed how much more colorful and exciting the Japanese can be with a mildewed premise not handled conventionally on a miniscule Hollywood budget. Earth in 1965 is menaced by invaders from the planet Natal, causing destruction across the globe from their base of operations on the moon. They try to prevent the building of a special heat ray through human slaves whose minds are controlled by radio waves but two rockets successfully blast off at the half hour mark, reaching their destination after an hour. The main dome on the moon is targeted, after which the survivors return to Earth where the final battle takes place in the air, one mother ship and several smaller craft all that's left to fight for the would be conquerors. This was Toho's second space opera, following "The Mysterians," a subgenre that never gained much traction despite their superiority in depicting mass destruction. As entertaining as it is, it's nothing but full scale battle scenes with only a small number of human confederates causing minor damage to the victorious Earth fleet. One almost wishes it didn't look so easy, and director Ishiro Honda actually steered clear of alien invaders thereafter, except where Godzilla was involved.
  • Some really neat miniatures, beautiful matte paintings, and a very cool lunar set, are the highlights of this movie. It's fun entertainment for the first half, but becomes especially enjoyable midway through once our heroes land on the Moon.

As other reviewers have noted, this movie seems to have influenced Star Wars, in particular a couple of shots during the climactic battle in space, which seem as though Lucas might have lifted them from a print of this film and dropped them right into A New Hope.
  • Decades before "Star Wars" (1977) or "Independence Day" (1996), Toho Studios brought a full blown space war to life in "Battle in Outer Space". Scheming aliens from the planet Natal have set up a base on the moon from which they are attacking Earth. Their principal weapon is a freezing ray that lowers the temperature to absolute zero, at which point the target is no longer subject to gravity (a law of physics unique to the film). Several landmarks are destroyed by this device before Earth realises the danger and sends ships to the moon to attack the alien base, leading to a climactic battle as the Natal mother ship attacks Earth cities with 'space torpedoes' and is attacked in turn by squadrons of our "space fighters" and land based "atomic heat cannons". Fantastic stuff! By modern standards, the models are quaint and the special effects primitive, but overall the film is effective, imaginative, and entertaining. Similar to Toho's other space operas (Gorath (1962) and The Mysterians (1957)) the take home message is clear: in the face of existential threats, put aside political differences and cooperate, or die. The miniatures, especially the space hardware are great. The moon ships are very typical of the era's popular vision of future rocketry: graceful and aerodynamic, Earth's space fighters are modeled after NASA's X-15, then the fastest plane in the skies, and the alien saucers are sleek and menacing. The moon cars seem to be from a previous era and look a lot like something Frank Paul would design for the cover of a 1940's "Amazing Stories". The scenes on the moon are very well done, with stark and somber moonscapes that bring to mind the classic images of Chesley Bonestell. The film has some weak points, such as the laboured 'humour' concerning one of the astronauts forgetting about reduced gravity in space and on the moon, the usual disregard for the realities of motion and vacuums in space, and in the English version I watched, poor dubbing and some awkward insertion of 'western' characters (presumably for the American market). Directed by Ishiro Honda with music by Akira Ifukube and special effects by Eiji Tsuburaya, "Battle in Outer Space" is a great example of an early 1960's space adventure and showcases the talent behind the Toho Studio's classic Kaiju and tokusatsu films.
  • Hostile aliens from the planet of Natal make their presence known to the people of Earth. All that they demand is complete surrender. But humankind won't go down without a fight. All the nations of the planet are thus motivated to band together. An integrated crew mans two rockets that are flown to the moon, where it is believed that the aliens are headquartering.

"Battle in Outer Space" is fun to watch, to a degree, although this viewer never found it as exciting as he might have liked. It is slightly overlong, and plodding. It takes until the final quarter hour of the movie until the title battle can take place. The characters, by and large, lack any really interesting features, except perhaps for the dedicated scientist Professor Adachi, played by Koreya Senda. There is a quiet romantic interlude early on, but it's over before too long.

At the least, it can be said that this is fairly colourful (both literally and figuratively) entertainment. The visuals are nicely photographed in widescreen by cinematographer Hajime Koizumi, and the special effects are rather dazzling. Some of the sequences on the moon are reasonably creepy. One fine moment occurs when one of our human characters risks their own life to ensure that the other heroes can make a clean getaway.

The extremely prolific Japanese genre director Ishiro Honda gives the proceedings a decent amount of style. His movie does just fine as a selection for a slow Sunday afternoon.

Six out of 10.
  • For a lot of us who were kids in the 60's, this movie may have only come on TV on Saturday Night at either 11, 12 Midnight or even worse-- the Late, Late, Late Movie at 2AM before the Station Signed-Off with the Test Pattern screaming that high pitched: "Oooooooooooooooooooooooo"

And if we were kids, you probably only caught this movie by ACCIDENT and had to BEG your parent not to send you to bed. If you were lucky-- it was your Dad, and he would melt. If you were unlucky, it was Mom-- for whom space movies were trash-- and she just reached over and 'CLICK' And you NEVER saw this one again.

Oh.. and guaranteed, if you DID manage to catch it on TV way back then-- 1) you only saw it in BLACK & WHITE! And 2) you only saw it CROPPED for the regular TUBE TV. So you NEVER saw the full WIDE-SCREEN Theatrical Movie version. And even better reason to rent the DVD today.

Well, this guy was the George Lucas of his age. Yeah-- there were wires holding the ships up-- but remember, it was 1958-59. They didn't have Video Editing. Plus-- TV sets and Movies weren't that 'crisp' If you weren't Looking for the wires, you didn't see them. Plus-- if you see the Wires, google images for this movie and note the SIZE of the ships. This are not cheap plastic models. The Moon ships stand at least 5 feet

What you DID see was Spaceships, Flying Saucers, Rayguns, and men in silver Spacesuits fighting Aliens on the Moon. What else could a Kid want? Fun part for people watching this thing Now: Aliens attack Earth. Response: Give Scientists RAYGUNS and send them to the moon.

Think about it: They gave SCIENTISTS Rayguns and sent them to the Moon to Destroy the Aliens-- NOT TALK TO THEM.

Scientists Get to Moon, and encounter a mob of spacesuited munchkin aliens pawing up the single Female crewmember in a lunar cave.

Do they stop and think: "Let us attempt to Communicate with these advanced Aliens?" NO-- These Scientists are MURDEROUS. He Pulls gasping crew-woman away from those grasping four-fingered mitts, unlimbers his disintegrator rifle and (Point-- these aliens are UNARMED, BTW) and he MOWS THEM DOWN!

Beyond that-- there's the Mumbo-Jumbo science-- How a Freeze Ray will create Anti-gravity for example.

The fact that mysterious light rays can turn innocent scientists into Zombie Slaves-- and nobody gets alarmed when the scientist starts clutching his head and stumbling around Or the fact that on the moon, the Alien Mastermind has a FLEET of flying saucers under his claw-- but can only get a single Zombie Slave to do the task of blowing up the Earth Spaceships. And Tells him to HURRY! HURRY! But beyond that-- the spacebattles, the disintegrator rays, the Moonbase, the Moon Battles.

If you're a Sci-Fi buff, put this one on when your friends are over on a rainy or cold winter Saturday Afternoon. Within its limitations, It's an exciting movie from the Age of Outer Space.
  • Made almost two decades before Star Wars, Battle in Outer Space (1959) was certainly an outstanding accomplishment by Toho studios. Of particular note is the almost 3-dimensional effect of the space battles in which we have a real sense of space craft maneuvering.

There are some cringe-worthy moments in Battle in Outer Space such as when one of the crew members during take-off places his hands on either side of his face and stretches the skin to illustrate the effects of g-force. There are also the miniature models of the buildings in Tokyo being destroyed and sucked up that don't look very detailed or realistic. And of course, there's the nutty techno-babble and pseudo-science that would make a flat-earth proponent sound credible!

Oh my gosh, one could not fail to notice the Ewok-like munchkin aliens on the moon shuffling around, waving their arms and acting like cute squeaky toys! They didn't look capable of attacking one single astronaut let alone an entire planet!

Please don't get me started on the Keystone cops chase involving the inept security guards on the tail of the Iranian delegate Dr. Ahmed. All we needed was the theme tune to the Benny Hill Show.

Despite some of its shortcomings, Battle in Outer Space contains an entertaining and well-paced story delivered by a cast who give sincere performances. The effective cinematography, along with a rousing music score and mostly impressive special effects serve to make this film quite enjoyable.
  • Now first of all,this ain't Hamlet. You have to like goofy,Saturday-afternoon movies.That said, I think this film is great! The special effects are great for the time,much of it is done with models but very detailed and imaginitively well-done. The acting is decent,the pace projects a sense of urgency and peril during battles. The story is simple and straightforward. If you enjoy the golden-age of 1950's-early 1960's science-fiction B movies,this is for you. If you were ever a 10 y/o boy,or are a 10 y/o boy at heart,you will love it.