User Reviews (84)

• "Your weapons have no effect on me" but this movie does. Want to laugh until you fall over? This is the one that tops the charts for the worst Japanese film of all times. The story appears to be that 7, or maybe 8, chickens try to take over the earth, or Japan, or something and a shoe-shine boy, who is really the Prince of Space, points a butane grill lighter at them and jumps around with a sinus mask over his face. The Phantom of Krankor, the head chicken (or is that rooster?), forgot his underwear much to our dismay (or delight),has drooping football pads under his tights, and laughs demonically every five minutes. His flock keep shooting at the Prince with their stick weapons, ignoring his statement that the "weapons have no effect on me". Maybe they should have just hit him over the head. To add to the confusions, small Japanese boys run around giving orders, having access to restricted government property and speaking with a variety of American accents. Somewhere along the line, a giant Pillsbury Dough Boy appears, guarding the planet Krankor, and is easily dispatched by the Prince. So much for giant guardians. The wimpy scientists, meeting in a room the size of the Metropolitan Opera, run the gamut of emotions from cowardice to boredom, which is probably what you will do as you watch this film. It all works out, I guess and the world is safe from Krankor and his flock of invading Rhode Island Reds. I wonder if the Prince went back to his shoe shine job?
  • Thoughts and comments on "Prince of Space":

~This movie tends to put me in mind of the "Sailor Moon" series. Both feature heros in silly costumes fighting villians in even sillier costumes, cheesy dialogue, half-baked schemes for world domination, and some very unconvincing secret identities. The difference is that "Sailor Moon" a) is in easier to take half-hour instalments, b) has better dubbing and c) has the additional attraction of pondering just how the heroine gets her hair to do that pom-pom thing. All we can ponder in "Prince of Space" is the aliens' lack of dance belt technology, the less said of which the better.

~Regarding those aliens, the beak-nosed men of the planet Krankor. A scientist-type fellow tells us they've come to Earth because they want a new rocket fuel he (the scientist) has developed. A reporter points out, rather logically, that the Krankorites (Krankorians? Krankish?) have already developed deep-space travel; why do they need our technology? The scientist helpfully explains that the Krankian fuel industry is well behind our own. How they manage space travel at all with second-rate fuel is anyone's guess.

~Then again, the Krankor mothership makes about four round trips to Earth in the course of the film. Maybe if they conserved gas, they wouldn't need our help.

~Both the Prince of Space (our, he-hem, "hero") and Phantom of Krankor (the leader of the aliens) seem to be wearing one of those vinyl capes you can get at Wal-Mart for five bucks. Both men also seem to be competing for the title of the World's Dumbest Laugh. Krankor's "Penguin from the old Batman series with asthma" imitation probably wins, but PoS's "I'm saying 'ha, ha, ha!' because that's exactly what's written in the script" is a noble effort.

~Speaking of voices, someone in the dubbing studio wasn't paying attention to pronunciation. The main scientist's name is pronounced at various times Makken, Macon, Marken, and Mackie.

~Much has been made of PoS' constant reminders to the Krankies that their weapons won't work against him. What gets me, though, is the point at which the Prince declares, "Your weapons are useless, let's try bare hands now!" Since the Kranks are perfectly happy firing their ineffective weapons, why challenge them to a fistfight? Not that it matters, as their melee skills are just as bad as their range weaponry.

~One of the kidnapped scientists bears a remarkable resemblance to Arthur Sullivan, except in one scene where the spirit gum has clearly worn off on one of his sideburns.

I realize that I have now, of course, put far more thought into "Prince of Space" than anybody in the cast or crew ever did. I know; it worries me too.
  • I saw this on Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I've never laughed so hard in my life, and that's no exaggeration. This is 110% cheese, at it's very best. The overdubbing of English voices is hilarious. Everything about this movie is ridiculous, from the cheesy makeup, to the cheesy laughs, to the same lines used over....and over....and over. And I thought my eardrums were going to bleed after hearing that horrible 'spaceship' sound effect used nearly 1000 times throughout the film. This movie is so bad, it's hilarious. I was able to catch this on MST3K, and they do a wonderful job of just ripping it a new one. The children in this movie are so...so robotic. Horribly amusing. Or maybe just amusingly horrible. You be the judge.

Give it a watch.
  • Ok...here we have a japanese space epic set in the wonderful Japanese town of Beaver Falls.....BEAVER FALLS?

This is one of my favorite bad movies...it never fails to crack me up when we watch the MST3K version, although I could probably sit through it without the MST gang and still have fun doing the MST jokes myself.

I've seen worse...at least I can sit through this one...there are several movies I don't think I could stomach again, even on MST3K...most notably the horrible Red Zone Cuba and the equally absymal Future War...
    ...the results would still make more sense than "Prince Of Space".

Let me see if I can summarize the events in this film:

POS:"Your weapons have NO effect on me!!!" Krankor: "Kill him!! Fire!!!" Later: POS: "No, seriously, your weapons have NO effect on me!!!" Krankor: "FIRE! Kill him!!!" Later yet: POS: "Aren't you listening? YOUR WEAPONS HAVE NO EFFECT OF ME!!!" Krankor: "Destroy him! Fire!!" Even Later Yet: POS: "Are you COMPLETELY BRAIN DEAD? YOUR WEAPONS W-O-N-T W-O-R-K!!!!!" Krankor: "Ya SCUM! Kill him! Fire!!!" (Lather- Rinse - Repeat....)

All right, I realize, right up front, that POS was obviously some kind of television serial thing intended for Japanese children.Someone must have taken 3 or 4 episodes of the show and then edited them down into something resembling a 'movie'. And I am reasonably sure that in the original format and in the original Japanese, this stuff may have been juvenile and cheesy, but also harmless fun. So I maintain that we can't completely blame Japan for the finished product that appeared on our shores. But still.

This is one of the worst dubbing/translation jobs in the history of cinema. I kid you not - the only one I can recall that even compares is one of the later "Gamera" films where the dubbing actors obviously didn't understand English and read the whole script phonetically. It's just astoundingly bad - you couldn't get worse lines and readings if you'd hired a dozen MOnty Python style "Gumby" characters for your voice talent.

And even for a juvenile television serial, every production choice, will have you dropping your jaw in befuddlement. The producers wanted the villains to not intimidate or scare their young audience, so they chose to make them 'chicken men' dressed in white leotards, with long spirit-gum noses, knee goiters, etc. And then, because they secretly hate children and wanted to scar them emotionally , they had Krankor, the chief bad guy, run around in a body stocking with his 'landing gear' swinging free and easy. I'm almost fifty years old, and I can't tell you how upsetting this is.

And the whole film is like this. The Krankor warship is a roast turkey with decals. The Prince-Of-Space cruiser is a Norelco Nose Hair Trimmer with pipe cleaners. The Guardian looks like a WWE reject whose nose-and-ear hair got out of control. The Prince looks like a rejected extra in a Ken Russell film about Zorro. It's all just dopey and goofy beyond comprehension.

If you have any tolerance for silly, stupid, cinema, this movie will make you laugh until you pass out.
  • Prince of space is a pretty crappy movie, but it isn't the so called "Starman" series. The Starman series, which has been released in two volumes from Something Weird video, features a tights-wearing japanese man running around laughing and beating people up as they fire guns, which they know can't kill him, for he's made of steel. Shintoho, a company that was an off shoot of the great Toho production company created these films which range from bad to so horrible that you want to spray mace in your eyes so you can't see the screen. Walter Manly, the man responsible for delivering these messes to America made it worse by cutting them down from serials and turning them into 75 minute films about salamanders and monsters, and emerald planets... I really couldn't follow the plot I was to busy throwing up... anyway, their are some really classic moments in the films, weird, American serial influenced fights against hordes of creatures or even space facists, and mutants dressed in costumes you'd think were made by the producer's mother for $15.00. There are four films made for American release (even though there were nine films from Japan, three of them were turned into "The Evil Brain From Outer Space" which, sadly, is one of the better ones. My favorite of them all is "Invaders from Space, which has some nifty acrobatics and isn't as boring as some of the others. Prince of Space does suck, but then again so does Starman... if you've got nerdy friends and you're either drunk and/or high and your looking for a giggle, check them out.
  • Let us see...None of the aliens seem to be wearing any underwear. All Prince of Space does is say how none of Krankor's weapons work on him, and all Krankor does is laugh. HA HA HA HA HA. And then we have those three kids with dubbed annoyingly. Well, not so annoying because I laughed my face off when this film or whatever you want to call it was featured on MST3K. It would be relitevly unknown if it wasn't for Mikey and the Bots.

But really, is this a film? Is it entertainment? Hell yeah! But I'm not sure if it is a film. Acctually, I heard it was two episodes from a Japanese show that was cancelled to low ratings or something, and later edited into a movie for America. Who knows?

I'm confused if I should give this movie a 10 or a 1. The MST3K version deserves a 10 but on its own this "movie" deserves crap. But I gave it a 10 since I'm such a nice guy.
  • Diana20 May 2004
    (spoilers) "he has no powers, but he can skip reasonably well!" The hero of this crappy Japanese film is one of the most effeminate that I have ever seen. He skips, he prances, he laughs in a high, girlish voice; he wears a skin tight white leotard as part of his superhero costume, and what looks like the top half of an Arab woman's head dress. His evil nemesis, 'the Phantom of Krankor', wears gauzy ruffles and appears at all times to be trying to pick up a Dodgers game on the antennae in his helmet. The costumes in this movie are just amazingly bad. The 'knee goiters' all the bad guys sport, the fact that none of them appear to be wearing underwear, and the glittery numbers sewn onto the henchmen's chest(why Z1-7? Are they prototypes of some kind?) combine to make up what has to be the worst costuming efforts ever shown on screen. The space ships are really bad, too-from Krankor's TurkeyMobile to the Prince of Space's electric flying shaver, these are the least convincing models ever. The plot of this movie is almost incomprehensible, since someone who has achieved space flight most definitely wouldn't need to steal a human scientist's recipe for rocket fuel. The kids in the movie are really annoying little creeps, who you sincerely wish that Phantom had wiped out any of the times that he held them hostage. And the most annoying bit of all-the endless repetitions by the Prince of Space to Phantom and his henchmen about how their weapons won't work against him-to which they listen not at all. They continue to fire at him long after it would be obvious to the most brain dead moron in the world that it's a useless activity. If Phantom had stopped laughing for even five seconds, he might have figured that out and had his men sneak up on the Prince and stab him to death instead.
  • Title:Prince of Space Category:Japanese Schlock sci-fi Schlock Rating: 9.5 Overall Production: 4.5 Actors: Japanese Date produced:1959

Its no secret little Japanese boys with 10X telescopes are the best astronomers and outer space watch dogs. When the haw, haw, haw, hawwwww evil plotter, The Phantom, with the chicken beak nose, bristly eyebrows and mustache, wiggling chin pouch and jock-less pants shows up in a weedy field outside Tokyo in his "rotating augur" space ship, our intrepid junior space watchers have no trouble beating the clueless "old fart" authorities to the spot.

Soon the Earth (Japan ) finds itself in danger of conquest by Krankor, that well-known evil planet from somewhere out there in space. After a few quick zings from the Phantom's rotating glass eye ray gun let's the crowd know he ain't fooling around, another mysterious fire and smoke emitting "reversed wheel barrow" space ship shows up.

Enter Krankor's nemesis, the self-proclaimed Prince of Space wearing mask and spiffy satin cape. The strangely charitable but invulnerable Prince laughs at the Phantom's relentless and totally ineffectual ray gun zingers and blithely flies through the release of caustic vapors on his way to thwarting the evil one's stupid plans to steal secret rocket fuel plans and conquer earth.

Breathe easy Earth. Gout-kneed inept henchmen, X-radars in 54 Chevy station wagons, flaky pie dough bumbling giants, thorium bombs; nothing stops the mild-mannered, secretly disguised Prince from saving the day.
  • DFischer14 August 2001
    Aimed strictly at the kiddie matinee crowd, this film features beak-nosed evil aliens who travel in a spaceship spaced like a trussed up turkey or chicken, while the hero never tires of endlessly proclaiming that the evil aliens' weapons cannot harm him (and indeed they don't, though that doesn't stop the bad guys from repeatedly attempting it again and again). The film also features one of the most pathetic giant monsters of any Japanese film, a hefty Japanese man in a sloppily put together mask, who guards the evil invaders' home planet. Instantly forgettable, but prime MST3K fodder.
  • Kristine29 July 2004
    Man, how many times can one say "Your weapons have no effect on me"? LOL. "Prince of Space" is without a doubt one of the cheesiest movies on Earth. But it made a great MSTK3 episode. Probably one of my favorites. The villain has the most horrible make-up. He also has one of the most annoying laughs in movie history. If you hear it, your ears eventually feel like they're going to explode. Prince of Space is so beyond cheese, all of his lines get a laugh that were not intended. And the little kids run every where they go. You begin to wonder where their parents are as well. This is fun to watch though. I just love these old Japenese movies with the bad lip dubbing. I think a lot of people would agree too. Watch the MSTK3 episode, it's a good one. The movie is pretty bad, but it's a good bad that I think you'll have fun with. Remember, the weapons have no effect on the Prince of Space. :D

1/10 for the movie and 10/10 for the MSTK3 version
  • The first time I ever heard about this film existing was in the movie "It came from Hollywood" where they were just presenting snippets of gosh-awful films. In "It came from Hollywood", John Candy has the best line about "playtex-living gloves" as part of this guy's suit.

That should tell you something.

Then came MST 3000 which did this film the only justice it deserved. This is a top 10 list bad film where MST 3000 made it a "10" into one of the most absolutely funniest send-ups ever. There is no way you could get any other enjoyment out of this mess. The year had nothing to do with it. It's just plain bad, but MST 3000 makes it all worth the effort.

Go out and rent the MST 3000 version of this TODAY. You'll laugh your head off!
  • This film is actually a serial in Japan and was later pieced together to form a movie here in America; however, it is not like an entire series like Time of Apes or Mighty Jack or Fugitive Alien as it only consisted of two one hour episodes. So while those other ones I mentioned can get confusing because they literally jump from one random plot point to another, this one is a bit more coherent. I saw this 'film' as it was featured on the cult hit show, Mystery Science Theater 3000. I am pretty sure that is how a good many people saw it the first time. Granted, these days a film like this can also usually be found in those sets of public domain films too. I would rather watch it with the riffing though. This one is better than another film they did featuring a space prolific hero called Invasion of the Neptune Men featuring Space Chief! Unfortunately, Space Chief's enemies made the ones in this film seem a lot better because at least they had some personality! The ones in that film never uttered a word other than a recording. Here we have the super chicken of Crankor and they want to take over the world!

The story, a family eats and discusses the awesome skill of boot blacking, when on the television comes a warning! A race of aliens is about to invade the earth and their technology is way beyond ours! They land and immediately begin to disintegrate all those who oppose them...everyone that is except for Prince Of Space! The enemies should have just left as time and time again, the Prince announces that the aliens' weapons cannot hurt him and they do not! Then again, if they had simply gone home there would not be all that much movie, which may have been a good thing as Phantom of Crankor laughs manically declaring that he has won only to get shown up by Prince of Space time after time! They fly to earth, fly back to their planet only to immediately fly back to earth again. They put a lot of unnecessary mileage on their flying roasted chicken ship!

This made for a very funny episode of MST3K. The riffs on the actual film were good as were the bumps. I just started watching the show when it began airing on SyFy as I did not have Comedy Central and so this was the first Japanese film I saw them riff. I was so delighted when I found they did a couple of Godzilla films! Sadly, though I got the Megalon episode, the one featuring the Sea Monster may never come on one of their volumes. This one though was one of the funnier Japanese films they did thanks to Phantom and that laugh of his. The dubbing is great too, "You Scum!"

So, not a good film by any means, but it was not too terribly bad. At least this one featured a somewhat decent plot. There is a lot of things that kind of are not explained like just how come Prince of Space is apparently immune to the enemies' ray guns, and I am guessing that it probably was not explained even when you add the 30 minutes they clipped out to make a film. Guess you are just supposed to accept it. Lot's of crazy stuff though as I do not know of too many films so devoid of underwear and that feature strange giants that burp fire!
  • Well, the MST crew has done it again. This movie is extremely bad. The plot is weak and is very confusing. The special effects are even worse. Granted it was the 1950s and not nearly as advanced as today, but come on, they could have done better. Worst of all was the dub-bing. It has such terrible dialogue, that doesn't even make any sense. Of course, the movie makes for a classic episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. So many hilarious lines come from Mike, Servo and Crow; I almost busted a gut from laughing. As with the many other terrible movies, avoid Prince of Space unless you have the protection of MST.
  • I viewed the MST3K version with my family, and we had a ball. It was the funniest two hours we have spent at the TV set ever. Seriously, almost every line is funny, and sometimes, no robot comments are even needed. The comic chuckles drive the movie through the many chases and battles, but all turn out OK. A good movie to watch with kids, as there is no graphic violence. WE spoke about this film for months, It's That Good!!! My 15 year old daughter loved it so much that she quotes from it often, and watches it over and over again. The film is obviously of an older vintage, so the special effects that they were, were plain old hilarious. I recommend this film to anyone who loves Cheesy Old Sci-Fi. You won't be disappointed.
  • cmbattra8 January 2000
    Hah hah hah hah hah Yes this movie is bad but good. I especially like the Brooklyn accent on that Japanese kid ("Whats wrong with boot-blacking? We like it very much") M&TB down at MST3K gave this movie a good punishment but its so unintentionaly funny at times you will roll on the floor with laughter. See this movie or else you will feel empty inside for all eternity.
  • Poor Japan. When they're not having their country destroyed by Godzilla or one of his numerous enemies, they have to deal with the idiotic nerve wrecking cackle of the idiotic Phantom of Krankor(or is it Krank-whore?)and his equally stupid minions who threaten to cause major havoc if their demands aren't met.

But, Japan is lucky this time around, for you see Krankor is neither dangerous nor intimidating, and he appears to be the sort of guy who, um, favors the company of men if you get my drift.

Nevertheless, the weakling Japs take this chicken look alike fop seriously and seem to be at his mercy. But, just when things look helpless, an almost as ridiculous looking superhero comes to the rescue of the sniveling bed wetting people of Japan. This mystery man simply refers to himself as Prince of Space(he spends most of his time on Earth however, but what the hell?)

Anyway, Krankor and his companions, er I mean troops, fight the strange hero in several humiliatingly unseccessful attempts to capture him. All along the way Prince of Space shoots back with his famous "Your weapons are useless against me!" line no less than 50 times. But do the bad guys learn? Nah, they're too stupid to remember a line repeated every 10 seconds, and they try over and over but just can't seem to get it through their heads that maybe their weapons really don't work afterall.

The fighting continues, Krankor continues to terrorize the cowardly people of Japan with his rather annoying laugh, and eventually Krankor is defeated and Japan and all of Earth is safe from this race of foolish, rather fey group of half human half chickens forever by none other than Prince of Space, but by that time you won't care and will probably be asleep if you have any sense.

If you didn't get my point by reading the above comment, this movie really sucks. I couldn't possibly describe how terrible it truely is. It's one of those movies that dares you to take it seriously, which you won't. If you ever get a chance to watch the MST3K version, do so. It's simply hysterical, and they do a better job of ripping it apart than I could.
  • "Prince of Space" is an Anglicised condensation of two Japanese tokusatu films ("Planet Prince" and "Planet Prince - The Terrifying Spaceship", both 1959) that were in turn feature length versions of a 1958 kid's television series. The film finds Earth being threatened by Dictator Phantom of the Planet Krankor, a beaked, gloating alien who never misses the opportunity for a sinister laugh, as he flies menacingly above our cities in his flagship (which also seems to be his only ship). Opposing him is the "Prince of Space", an apparently indestructible masked hero in a sub-compact flying saucer. Cheered on by the genre's ubiquitous kids, the Prince of Space retrieves stolen plans, battles Phantom's inept minions including a spongy looking giant with huge ears, and rescues a group of somewhat hapless Earth scientists. The special effects are limited to the two spaceships (Earth's ship never gets off the ground), Phantom's base on Krankor (and the eerie giant that defends it), and some limited pyrotechnics, all of which are pretty underwhelming. Silly fun if you're a fan of this sort of thing but neither as imaginative nor as entertaining as 1961's "Invasion from a Planet" (featuring 'Starman') or 1965's "Invaders from Space" (featuring 'Space Chief'), which have similar aetiologies. For viewers who can't take this kind of silliness straight-up, the film has been riffed on both 'MST3K' and 'Cinema Insomnia'.
  • Maniacal extraterrestrial villains from the rocky planet Krankor make it their mission to take over Earth. Led by a dude named The Phantom (Joji Oka), they're an utterly ridiculous bunch in their bargain basement costumes and their beak-noses. Fortunately for Earth - or at least, the people of Japan - there is a saviour. By day, he's sly shoeshine boy Waku-san (Tatsuo Umemiya). But every so often, he turns into his alter ego, the "Prince of Space". The bad guys are hopelessly outclassed since the Prince is fond of telling us, over and over, that he is impervious to their weapons.

This was originally a two-part Japanese serial running approximately two hours. Trimmed down to 85 minutes for the North American release, it's so cheap and tacky that it generates a generous amount of guffaws. One can sense that the original Japanese version isn't very much better. This U.S. cut contains hilariously awful dialogue, delivered to cheesy perfection by a low rent cast. The Phantom in particular is a riot because, like many bad guys before and after him, he's quite merry. EVERYTHING is amusing to this dude. HA HA HA HA HA. Waku-san (referred to as WALLY in the U.S. cut!) is a very confident hero, never in any doubt that he can outsmart his foes. The sets and special effects, unsurprisingly, aren't the slickest that you'll ever see. The "giant monster" that appears to menace the Prince is a particularly ridiculous element.

Although the movie ultimately wears a bit thin, it's funny often enough to earn its place among other Hall of Infamy turkeys.

Six out of 10.
    With a title like "Prince of Space" you know it's not going to be Gone With The Wind or The Treasure of Sierra Madre.

The special effects are terrible, the writing (at least in the American dub) is laughable and the villains look hilarious with their fake noses. Phantom of Krankor is probably the worst and most ineffective movie villain ever. You almost feel sorry for him. Prince of Space tells him maybe five or six times that his weapons have no effect on him, but Phantom just won't listen. We never feel like Prince of Space (or the planet) is in any real danger.

For some reason, the krankorians look like birds. And the Krankorians' space ship looks exactly like a fried chicken. One of the funniest parts is at the beginning, where the children first see the spaceship on TV, and one of them says something like: "is it a commercial?" And the other one replies: "it can't be a toy commercial, because that looks like a real spaceship!" Ha...ha...ha...ha...!

The krankorians also have a seriously frightening monster that guards their HQ. It looks like a giant pig mixed with a bat and breathes fire. I wonder how many kids were traumatized by that scene. The scariest thing is that the villains forgot to wear underpants.

It's not a very good movie, but I have to admit that I kind of liked it. It's a fun movie to watch on a Saturday night. And to be honest, I would rather watch this three times in a row than any of the new Transformers movies.
  • I won't waste space repeating what other reviewers have so ably said already. This movie is dear to me as it is pure nostalgia for a Baby Boomer. In the 1960s, my brother and I would use our reel-to-reel audio tape to record the soundtrack of those dreadful Japanese movies they would play late at night on Sydney TV. (Channel 10, I think.) Those were the days well before VCR recorders. One night, we recorded Prince of Space and never tired of playing it back, howling of course at the ridiculous lost-in-translation dialogue. I don't remember a lot of the movie but certain lines and situations stand out strongly:

1. How absurdly timid Professor Macken was after being kidnapped by the Phantom of Krankor - always cowering. Whoever played him must have excelled at the Tokyo Academy of Overacting. 2. How long the fight scenes dragged on between Prince of Space and the bad guys. 3. The manic, sadistic look of glee on the Prince's face as he knocks the bad guys around; he's really enjoying the biff and pain he causes! 4. How the Prince king hits a bad guy who flies into the wall,when it is actually a limp dummy and the guide wire is laughably visible. 5.Professor Macken (cowering): "Where's my chauffeur?" Phantom: (disdainfully) "You can't expect me to keep track of your worthless servants. I shot him out of an air lock about an hour ago. By now, he's probably on a star!" (followed by sadistic false laughter) 6. A house-proud Phantom showing Professor Macken over his home planet: "I have many wonders to show you: my castle, cut from the living rock, my Giant Guardian, and so forth." (My brother and I still use that line when we want to show anything new.) 7. How the "giant guardian" looked like a punch drunk sumo wrestler needing a bit of extra cash, even appearing in a turkey like this. 8. The insufferable kids,dubbed with such squeaky annoying voices, and their immortal lines at the conclusion: Kid 1:"One day, I'll drive a car as fine as the one he drives". Kid 2: "And I'll make clothes that glow." Kid 3: "Big foe(?) too!"

All in all, I should thank the actors, writers and crew who brought us this delightfully awful and side-splittingly silly movie. Arigato!!
  • arfdawg-116 May 2014
    Black and White Japanese film from the late 50s.

It's really strange.

The aliens are Japanese with hook noses!

Everyone talks like it's so normal for space aliens to land.

Is it a good film? Not in the slightest. But if you're a bit you know, you'll probably find it a hoot.

The plot A Group of space men from the planet Krankor who resemble chickens are led by their leader, Phantom to invade Earth.

But a strange superhero named Prince of Space (actually a bootblack in disguise) arrives to defeat the spacemen.

Although the weapons of the aliens cannot harm the Prince of Space, the Phantom continues to fight, and many plot twists (including capturing a group of elderly scientists) ensue.

Watch out for the Giant!
    Directed by EijirĊ Wakabayashi, this movie was adapted from a tokusatsu superhero series known as Planet Prince. The series was a rip off of another show, call Super Giant AKA Starman. In fact, the title hero whose alter-ego was Waku-san AKA Wally is played by Toshio Mimura whom bore a strong resemblance to Super Giant. Instead of getting the same actor to play the hero in the film, they got Tatsuo Umemiya and got a new costume for him which kinda kill the whole fan base. In the edited US version, he is call Prince of Space and has no superpowers other than the invulnerability of his costume. He uses weapons like a wand-like laser gun that looks like a butane grill lighter and flies a small spaceship that looks a upside down wheel barrier. The company that produce the film, Toei: made two movies that featured this character titled Planet Prince and Planet Prince - The Terrifying Spaceship. For release in America, these two movies were compiled into a TV movie titled Prince of Space. Depending what film, you watch, the incoherent plot is really hard to follows, but it goes something like this, Prince's enemy's Ambassador Phantom of Ginsei AKA Ambassador Dictator Phantom of the Planet Krankor (Joji Oka) is trying to conquer Earth for rocket fuel. The villain travels through space to the planet Earth, so that he can steal a formula for rocket fuel that will allow him to travel through space? This is even hand-waved in the film itself, by a group of journalists who ask the head scientist why such an advanced race needs Earth technology. The scientist's explanation is that their fuel technology lags behind ours, which is just explain anything. If The Phantom Of Krankor could observe the Humans from space, and peek into anywhere in the world, why didn't he just observe the creation of the formula and take notes? This movie makes you have a headache if you think too hard of the plot. Anyways, with his chicken-like alien henchmen, he kidnap the world leading rocket scientists to force the world's leader to give up their world to him. I'm sorry, but I can't take this villain serious even with the cartoony evil laugh. I can tell he is avoiding undergarments, because most of the film has him running around with his 'junk' visually showing through his sweat suit costume. Krankor sounds like crank whore in this film. He does look like one with drooping football pads under his tights looking like he's going to suck some Planet Prince's penis. The Phantom of Planet Krankor looks like Penguin from Batman mixed with Wario from the Mario Brother Video Games. He's so clumsy, and mismanage, that the whole alien invasion plot is so subverted. He also use the same weapons, time after time again on Prince of Space even after Prince of Space mention his weapons are useless. Even the bare fist fight scenes are laughable. Prince of Space can't really get hurt in the US version so there is little to no suspense. Having the hero have immortality doesn't make good story telling, as the hero is never put into any real danger. I know this was a translation error in the English dub. Prince of Space imply in the US version that he is invulnerable to all the weapons. In the Japanese version, this line simply had him implying that their weapons were useless because he was capable of dodging them. The English line leads to confusion as the Prince is constantly shown running away from the lasers that he is supposed to be invulnerable to. To add to the insult, there are plenty of scenes that are never explain Prince of Space is able to survive near disasters like Prince's ship getting shot down, and only to come back, a few minutes later in the film with the same ship not scratch. The model ships are so Ed Wood like, as it just awful to watch. The scene with his ship fighting a giant Ferengi Shrek on a planet surface is laughable. The whole scene looks like a man in bad make up on a soundstage. Also so the ray gun strips people from their clothing before oblivioning them is a bit off. Reminds me of 1953's Wars of the Worlds which had better special effects than this. You could think 1959 would have better effects than 1953, but no, this movie proves it. The sound effects are some of the most annoying sounds, I ever heard. I just couldn't stand hearing the turkey like Krankor ship leave and enter. My ears were bleeding because of it. Another thing, I found dumb is the fake nationality: Obviously, the movie try to make the Japanese people look American with English names and badly done English dubbing. It's weird to see New England and New Yorker accents in this film as it doesn't match the lips. I know the film was made for kids, but gees I hate the kids in this film. I really do. Small Japanese boys run around giving orders, having access to restricted government property and getting in danger. At less, the second part of the film got a little more serious. Overall: it's one of those movies, 'so bad, it's good'. The movie is a bit rare so it might be hard to find. If you can't find it, just look up Mystery Science Theater 3000K Season 8, Episode 18. Some people can find it, watchable, but most can't. Hints why there wasn't no sequel to this, and the producers went on to make a better show with Mirror Mask. I wonder if the Prince ever went back to his shoe shine job?!
  • As awful as Prince of Space is, it is not the worst movie to feature on MST3K and it is much less dull than the likes of Manos, Monster A-Go Go and The Creeping Terror. It also is memorable for Krankor, admittedly as a villain he is lousy, easily one of the most laughable villains of any movie, but as a character he is quite hilarious thanks to his lines and how he looks. None of the other characters make an impression though, the hero is annoyingly effeminate and the rest are cardboard. The acting is truly dire from all involved, either being obnoxious or bland to the point of non-existence, with for example the maniacal laughter overdone and forced. The script is repetitive and non-stop cheesiness, it does have some entertainment value but at the same time you do wish they cut back. Story-wise, credit is due for being easier to sit through than most other movies riffed by MST3K, but any kind of structure or sense is thrown out of the window and there's also not enough to sustain the length of the movie with scenes that come across as cheesy but irrelevant filler. And Prince of Space is one amateurish movie on a visual front, the make-up and hero and villain costumes are to be seen to be believed(and in all honesty in a negative way), the photography and editing are not that coherent- though not as bad actually as Space Mutiny and The Creeping Terror-, the special effects and props are incredibly fake(possibly even worse than any of the effects in Ed Wood's movies), and the sets are noticeably wonky. All in all, hysterically bad, has some unintentional hilarity to it but even that's not enough to escape from how poorly done on all levels Prince of Space is. 2/10 Bethany Cox