• THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS, 1960-1968) is not only Andy Griffith's first TV show, but his best. Griffith, who made his mark on Broadway, TV and screen adaptation of NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS, might have turned that into a weekly comedy series. Instead, Griffith was offered an original premise about the life and times of a southern sheriff in Mayberry. With the show's opening shows off a father and his young son walking towards the pond with fishing poles carried over their shoulders to whistling score, "The Fishing Hole," it's become one of those rare cases where a series, lasting eight successful seasons, to resume that same basic introduction. There were some minor changes over the years where it converted from black and white to color, and the growth of the sheriff's young son. During its eight seasons, this wholesome sit-com not only centered upon Sheriff Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith), but on the citizens of Mayberry, North Carolina. Naturally a series with such a lengthy run would go through some dramatic or necessary changes, such as the loss of certain characters, (Deputy Barney Fife), and addition of others (Goober Pyle, Howard Sprague), having one basic show with two different formats.

Andy Taylor is described as an easy-going, sometimes laid back sheriff seldom in complete uniform, unlike his bumbling deputy, Barney Fife, who not only dresses accordingly, ranging from tie, hat and a gun in his holster containing one bullet.going strictly by the book of the law. Together Andy and Barney team up for some humorous police work with Andy playing the straight man, and Barney providing his quota of laughs. At times, Barney becomes the bumbling fool in the eyes of the people. It is up to Andy to prove them wrong by helping Barney restore his confidence usually by giving Barney the credit actually due to the sheriff himself. Aside from their professions in keeping law and order in Mayberry, certain episodes would set focus on their personal lives, particularly on Andy, a widower/ father to his young son named Opie (Ronny Howard), cared for at home by his matron Aunt Bee (Frances Bavier). The first season to THE GRIFFITH SHOW did find Andy romantically involved with Ellie Walker (Elinor Donahue), the lady druggist. Seasons two and three found Andy sporadically having new love interests. By the time he acquired one in Helen Crump (Aneta Corsaut), Opie's school teacher, Andy lost his strong Southern accent for more natural tone. As for Barney, he's a carefree bachelor with his heart set on Thelma Lou (Betty Lynn). Unlike Andy (who would make Helen his bride in the premiere spin off series of MAYBERRY RFD in 1968), Barney would never marry.

After five seasons of black and white episodes, the remaining three seasons converted to color. Aside from that change, the Barney Fife character was gone, but not forever, making occasional returns once or twice a year for old times' sake. During Barney's absence, Andy acquired a substitute deputy, Warren (Jack Burns), written out of the show after 12 episodes, leaving Andy to sheriff about town alone and deputy position permanently vacant. With passage in time, Andy's police work would become less frequent, having ts main focus more on Andy's home-life and citizens of Mayberry. Otis (Hal Smith), the town drunk, would eventually be phased out.

While normally programs such as this losing a key supporting character such as Don Knotts would suffer in the ratings, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW continued to prosper for the next three years, becoming the number one show by the time Griffith gave up his badge by the end of the eighth season (1968). By then, the show acquired additional characters to the lineup: Goober Pyle (George Lindsay), Howard Sprague (Jack Dodson) and handyman, Emmett Clark (Paul Hartman), who replaced by Floyd, the Barber (Howard McNear), upon his death during the 1967-68 season; Clara Jackson, later Edwards (Hope Summers), Bee's closest friend; all new characters part of the Mayberry family.

What has become the secret to the success of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW? Was it the father and son relationship between Andy and Opie, (who affectionately calls addresses him as "Paw.")? The chemistry between best friends Andy and Barney? Or the now familiar faces and classic characters who took part as citizens of Mayberry that made the show special? One thing for sure, there's nothing dated about THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. It could be set anywhere at anytime, since it hardly dealt with issues or political issues of the day.

During its initial years, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW played funny without becoming too silly, except in some cases with the wild and crazy Ernest T. Bass (Howard Morris). The final years dealt more on serious issues without getting overly sentimental, though some early ones, "Opie the Birdman" (1962) and "Aunt Bee's Romance" (1964) went strictly on the dramatic side. The final three seasons moved towards a more wholesome, down to earth setting, even modernizing Aunt Bee from homemaker to independent woman acquiring both a driver's and pilot's license, and the teenage Opie having new friends (Johnny Paul and then Arnold), interests in girls and becoming part a rock and roll band.

While the Andy Taylor character had been originally introduced in an episode of MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY (1959) starring Danny Thomas, characters introduced on THE GRIFFITH SHOW spawned spin-offs as well: Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors), for GOMER PYLE, USMC, and Sam Jones (Ken Berry) for MAYBERRY, RFD.

After THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW ended its run in 1968, it has never gone from view. Many of its 249 episodes in reruns have become favorites, even classics, especially those involving Barney Fife. These and other shows can still be seen and appreciate in its seasonal package on DVD or countless other cable TV channels. (****)
  • I love this show so much. I'm 26 so I didn't get to see it when it originally aired. However I've watched this show my whole life. I remember watching it when I was a youngster. I think I was about four or five the first time I saw it.

The Andy Griffith show is heart warming and enduring gem. It has made me laugh year after year for decades. It expounds on many social issues like single parenting, child rearing, relationships, and friendships. In the process it mixes a lot sarcastic, witty, and slapstick humor. Andy occasionally will play guitar and sing. It's just all around great entertainment for the whole family. The

The plot of each episode varies from serious to hilarious. There's a nice variety to watch. I of course have my favorite episodes and those I don't like that much. In the end, I just enjoy spending some time each day with the gang from Mayberry.

The character development is the best part about this show. Barney can at first can seem to be an idiot and anonying. However after awhile I began to enjoy his antics. Andy is simple and easy going. Floyd the barber is a busy body. Ronnie Howard is the cute kid, who's intelligence and maturity surpasses his age. In the end it's the characters that make this show fantastic.

I'm glad DVD has made this wonderful gem available to past, present, and future generations. I know I'll be watching this show with my kids. I hope one day the first tune they whistle is the theme to the Andy Griffith Show.
  • In celebration of the show's anniversary this was one of the most endearing sitcoms in television history for the eight seasons that it ran on CBS. The basis came from an episode of "Make Room For Daddy",aka "The Danny Thomas Show" titled "Danny In Mayberry"(Season 7,Episode 20) that originally aired on February 15, 1960. On the strength of that episode which was a bonafide hit the producers Sheldon Leonard along with Danny Thomas and Ronald Jacobs(who served as executive producers)gave the greenlight for this series which was placed on CBS' Monday night prime-time schedule producing a total of 249 episodes that ran from October 3, 1960 until the final episode of the series on April 1, 1968. Out of the 249 episodes,only 159(Seasons 1 thru 5)were in black and white from October 3, 1960 until May 3, 1965. Seasons 6 thru 8 produced 90 episodes in color from September 13, 1965 until April 1, 1968. Only Danny Thomas, Sheldon Leonard, Ronald Jacobs and Aaron Ruben were the producers from Seasons 1 thru 5. Bob Ross was the producer for Seasons 6 thru 8. The show launched two spin-offs "Gomer Pyle,USMC" (1964-1969),and "Mayberry RFD"(1968-1971). Throughout its eight-year run the show won six Emmys and was nominated for 8 Emmys including Best Comedy Series. Between 1961,1962,1963,1966 and 1967 actor Don Knotts won back-to-back Emmys for Outstanding Performance in a Supported Role for Prime-Time as Deputy Barney Fife for the episodes "The Return of Barney Fife"(Season 6, Episode 17-airdate January 10, 1966),and for the episode "Barney Comes To Mayberry"(Season 7, Episode 19-airdate January 23, 1967). Actress Frances Bavier(Aunt Bee) won the Emmy in 1966 for Best Supporting Actress for Outstanding Role in a Prime Time Series. The show's sponsors throughout it's run were The General Foods Corporation and the Ford Motor Company. The Chrysler Corporation sponsored its final season.

The Andy Griffith Show was just that: the sheriff with a heart of gold and a big smile to match along bringing the moral values and lessons that you see in today's shows of this magnitude or any other,and it still holds up to this day. What really made that show what it is brings up to the great writing and storytelling,combining that with good ole North Carolina humor along with country comedy and add just a touch of Southern Gothic for a good measure. What really made that show hum like a fine motor for the first five seasons was the feisty spit and polish and by the book lawman deputy Barney Fife played with great precision and timing by Don Knotts who won five emmys for his work on that series. What really brought that show out was the father and son relationship of Sheriff Taylor and his son Opie(played by Ron Howard). Andy taught Opie valuable lessons on character and important values and morals as well as development of him from a boy into manhood. The characters that really brought that show out were certain individuals the gave Sheriff Taylor major fits(and Barney as well)like Goober,his cousin Gomer,and the nuttiest of them all: Ernest T. Bass,as well as Otis the town drunkard. After Knotts left the show to pursue other interests in 1965,the show wasn't the same as it was,but it never gave up on interest on the situations that went on in Mayberry. The black and white episodes were simply the greatest ever with Knotts in them,but kinda changed course when the show went to color. One of my all time best ever. Interesting Note on Andy Griffith: When the show left the airwaves on April 1, 1968 on the CBS network,it was the #1 show on television. *Commentary revised on December 10, 2015 in collaboration with the show's golden anniversary.
  • The Andy Griffith Show will always be remembered as one of the great slice of life series that ever came on television. It represented the ideal small town full of not only ordinary citizens but the crazies that inhabited it as well, especially characters like Ernest T. Bass and the Darlings. The thing that really made this show great was the relationship between the ever cool Sheriff Andy Taylor and the hyperactive Barney Fife. It was Barney as well as the characters of Aunt Bea, Floyd, Otis, Gomer, Goober and, later, Howard and Emmitt that made this show the classic that it was. Also, in later years this show was criticized for not having any black characters on it. If you think about it, this show was merely a reflection of the times that the show took place in, the early to mid 1960's. Despite that, this show will always be a classic.

Also, one of my favortite episodes will always be the bootlegging episode with the two sisters when you get to see Barney let loose and go POW, POW, POW with his trusty ax.
  • "The Andy Griffith Show" is probably the greatest sitcom of all time. The writing, the direction, the characters, and the stories all combined to make one of the greatest television shows of any era. Andy Taylor (Griffith) is the sheriff of a small, fictional North Carolina town named Mayberry. He has all sorts of adventures that are so realistic and pure that one feels that they are really in Mayberry when watching the show. Andy lives with his Aunt Bea (Frances Bavier) and his young son Opie (Ron Howard) and works with his deputy sheriff Barney Fife (Don Knotts). The thing that sets "The Andy Griffith Show" apart from almost all other television shows is the realism of the characters. Even though the characters are silly at times, often you can relate these people to actual people that you know or have known. The amazing insight by the writers is truly uncanny. The number of characters that are well-developed is also amazing when one considers how poor writing for television shows usually is these days. The show started out a bit silly in the beginning, but hit a peak from seasons two to five when characters like Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors), Otis Campbell (Hal Smith), Floyd Lawson (Howard McNear), and Goober Beasley (George Lindsey) became more prevalent in the series' plot. However, after the departure of Don Knotts in 1965, the series went from being exceptional to being fair at best the rest of the way. The magic that Knotts brought to the show was even more evident when he was gone. Also Nabors left to create his own series and McNear suffered from health problems throughout the entire run of the series. Smith and Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou) also had very little to do with the series after Knotts left. All in all a great series for about five years, but the show's magic slowly disappeared when the series went to color. 5 stars out of 5 for 1960-1965. 2.5 stars out of 5 for 1965-1968.
  • "The Andy Griffith Show", in my opinion, will always be in the top 10 of my favorite shows, and I've watched the reruns numerous times since the first episode in 1960. I'm sure Danny Thomas has received many accolades for creating this timeless classic. My only criticism is that it stayed on the air three years too long. When Don Knotts exited, that's where it should have ended. The support characters of Goober, Howard and Emmitt never captured the comic timing or spirit of the original cast, and the storylines were bland. I especially detested Jack Burns' character Warren. He was very annoying. The last three years just weren't funny or even compelling enough to bother watching. Even Andy became more cranky and less down-home. He even lost his southern accent and laid-back ways.
  • The black and white episodes of this program were the best, and I don't know what it was, but when it went to color, all the "magic" the show possessed disappeared!! I can tolerate the color episodes, but I HATED Jack Burns's character of Warren. That "Huh?, Yeah, Huh?" routine was a royal pain in the neck.

And what happened to Andy in the color episodes?? He turned into a man who was always griping about something--cranky and mean. It seemed that no matter what Aunt Bee wanted to do, Andy was there to put a stop to it, or at least, he tried to. Remember the time when Aunt Bee wanted to learn how to drive a car? Wanted to learn how to fly a plane? When she wanted to wear a wig? When she wanted to open a restaurant? Andy Taylor was a very hateful character in the color episodes. They should have stopped production of the show when they changed to color.
  • This truly is a heartwarming and family acceptable show. There simply won't be anything like it again. The 50s and 60s were some great, acceptable years in many ways and fortunately, the Andy Griffith show was part of those days. I hope it will stand the test of time because this show brings us back to a better place, a better time and an all around better cast of characters. This truly is a classic. Sure, it's in black and white and sure it's not going to be appreciated by all but the fact of the matter is, this is something everyone can enjoy. This is a show without drug references, without non-stop violence and it's not that I'm against any of that in films today but I believe and it kind of does make sense, that if it can appeal to a wider audience, than chances are it's going to be good to a larger audience. This is a very enjoyable show and even though it's in black and white, it's still enjoyed by myself and many others. Like I said, with what's coming out on TV today, this is easily gem in television. Nothing can be duplicated to match it, it's just not possible in this day and age. A heartwarming and stupendous show.
  • When Television programming was entertaining, AND wholesome, and funny.

Andy Griffith fits the bill for all three. One of my favorite episodes is when Aunt Bee wins some expensive prizes as a game show contestant. I love the shows with the Darlings (The Dillards), and one where Barney Fife tries to find Andy a girlfriend.

As I was growing up, my brothers and I were allowed to watch this show freely, and we used to compete with each other to see who could whistle the theme song the best.

I highly recommend watching this show whenever you can. It's incredibly funny without being skanky, like many modern day sitcoms, and wholesome without being preachy. It just WAS.
  • The Andy Griffith show is one of the best television programmes I have seen. It presents a very gentle, humorous look on small-town America, that hasn't been equalled.

The earlier episodes are better than the later ones. I suppose the transition point is when they went from being in black-and-white to colour. Unlike Guareschi's books, the good sheriff does not have a Peppone to ply his wits against, though Barney Fife comes pretty close sometimes, albeit unwittingly.

The episodes are done with great sensitivity and betray a great acumen in human character. It is unfortunate that such programming is no longer produced in America---it cannot be because of a lack of talent.

The Andy Griffith show demonstrates that human nature is essentially the same. Not only is Mayberry amazingly similar to Don Camillo's village, but people have the same kind of obsessions, desires and fears everywhere. This is truly an American classic, and one wishes that it were better known to foreign audiences.
  • I recently purchased the double DVD of "Andy of Mayberry" at MediaPlay and my spouse and I had a good laugh looking at all of them. We also saw the Andy Griffith Reunion Show on TV a few weeks ago. I've always had a tremendous fondness for this series, and such a crush on Andy when I was a girl. The series was ahead of itself in its day in concept and psychology; I don't think any of the other series at or around the time ("Bewitched," "I Dream of Genie," "Father Knows Best," "Leave it to Beaver" or "I Love Lucy") had quite the same combination of warmth and realism that this show had, despite its zaniness.

At present, there are two versions of the double DVD that you get at media stores, both with all the same episodes: "High Noon at Mayberry" (one of the funniest!), "The Big House" ("Here at the ROCK..."), "Andy Discovers America" (one of my faves because Griffith gives a tour de force performance in his story about Paul Revere to the rapt school boys and the credulous Barney. This episode also introduces Helen Crump, the exacting school teacher). "Barney's New Car" (terrific! Knott's at his funniest!). Then there is "Class Reunion," which in my opinion has one of the sexiest and most romantic--because restrained and shy--kisses in all of film history besides "It's a Wonderful Life." Poor Sharon and Andy, drawn to one another and drawn away from one another because of professional differences and attitudes about fulfillment. "I like "A Wife for Andy" because of the hilarious demonstration of reverse psychology: Barney gets Andy interested in Helen precisely because she is "all wrong for him": a modern career woman who can't cook: "This dame's not for Andy. Let's get this dinner over with." I could do without "Here Come the Darlin's" (Charlene annoyed me), as much as I admire the Dillards and their fine Blue Grass music. And why oh why do they have "Dogs Dogs Dogs" and not "Opie the Birdman"? I'd also like to see the episode where Gomer runs around after Barney: "Citizen's Arrayest! Citizen's Arrayest!" And the one where Aunt Bee is eager for Andy to buy her a little cape she sees in one of the department store windows, but he doesn't take the hint and gets her pickling jars instead. Then the rotten mayor (I think), knowing Aunt Bee wants the cape, buys it himself and Andy has to negotiate with him. In short, I want more of the B&W episodes on DVD, but they seem to have stopped at sixteen.

On TVL presently, it seems to be mostly the color-episodes. I've read every comment on this board before offering my own, and y'all are right: WHAT HAPPENED TO ANDY? It's as though when Don Knotts left the show, all the "twinkle" went out of Sheriff Taylor. Maybe it's because the rapport built up between the two, where Andy would tease and Barney would get "sensitive," wasn't there any more, but like many of you said, Andy turns into a curmudgeon, a nag, constantly annoyed, inflexible in his handling of Opie, unresourceful, and lacking in that incandescent joy that was his hallmark early on--as though he has fallen into a depression. What made the series for me in its early years (besides the incredible comic talent of Knotts!) was the steady and happy presence of this sheriff who acted as a catalyst for settling chaos, whose patience, intelligence, sense of humor, keen observation, and basic love of life--that electrifying grin!--was a stabilizing presence on the show. Look at how he dealt with Opie's request to run away in the first episode! When they made the color episode about "Daisy," and Andy's so ticked off about Opie bringing the sick horse home, had the writers forgotten what he taught Opie about respecting animals in "Birdman?" In the color episode where Opie wants to take piano lessons and play football but the activities conflict, why did it take the coach to teach Andy, whose IQ seems to have declined, that an athlete can also be a pianist: just reschedule Opie's practice time! Had the writers forgotten that Andy Taylor the Sheriff (along with Andy Griffith the actor) is also a keen musician? Look at him playing Blue Grass with the Dillards. Or accompanying Rafe Hollister.

In short, I'd like to have access to more of the black and white episodes on DVD. Is that a possibility, O Beings In Charge?

Post Script: What is "Opie" short for? Is it Obadiah, or is it the initials O. P.? Do we ever find out? :)
  • I love this show sooo much! I can't even put it into words just how great this show is. It's a classic that will be cherished for years to come. It's a shame that shows like this are rare to find on television in this day and age. It's way better than the junk we have on television today. The Andy Griffith Show is a program that can be enjoyed by all and it is generally a good, wholesome program. Andy, Barney, and Gomer were the best characters and the funniest. If you've never seen this show, than I strongly advise you see it sometime in the near future, you won't regret it. Not only will this show make you laugh, but it will give good lessons about life and the various hardships of it.
  • The Andy Griffith Show is considered by so many to be one of the finest examples of classic American television for many reasons, but there are basically three and one of them stands out again and again. That one reason is love. Human beings devote the majority of their time, effort, literature, conversation, thought, actions, intentions, in short, their lives to it with a few moments, in the grand scheme of things, spent in other endeavors. The town of Mayberry is the place where ideally, emotionally anyway, we would all like to live and the reason is that all of these people cared deeply for one another. They were willing to put aside all of the everyday concerns, personal comforts, monetary, personal or professional advancements to be of benefit to the others because they knew, without a doubt, that the others would do the same for them, if necessary. They all chose to really live by the Golden Rule and because they did, they were all the better off for it. It was the kind of devotion that we all constantly search for from others in our real lives. Not that there wasn't conflict for without it, as any good writer will tell you, there is no story and without a story, there is nothing to hold an audiences interest. Which brings us to the second ingredient in the success of the series. Writing. The comedy and drama which held our interest came from characters which had depth and substance, not just a bunch of shallow characters spouting bad jokes and one-liners at each other. All of these situations in which the good people of Mayberry found themselves were ones in which we have intimate knowledge. Falling asleep in church, being in too much of a hurry to stop and smell the roses, being put upon by outsiders which we were too polite to reprimand, trying to save face by bluffing our way through situations in which we were ignorant of the facts, putting up with well intentioned drunks, trying to provide a good example to children when we were really inclined to go with our baser instincts, being caught in situations which made us look guilty as sin when really, we weren't. We have all been there and that's why we find it so funny or sympathetic to see others in the same situation. Which brings us to the third ingredient in the success of the series. A talented cast. If a show is lucky, it may get by on one of these ingredients. If it is very lucky, it will have two. The Andy Griffith Show was fortunate in the extreme. It had the best comedy writers in town and they knew how to write portraying the Golden Rule and showing the characters always trying (though not always succeeding!) to do the right thing and the entire cast were all perfect for the characters which they portrayed. The show was never out of the top ten during it's entire eight year run and was number one in the ratings when it ended and was spun off into Mayberry R.F.D. There is a reason for this and anyone watching the entire series will see why for themselves. No one will have to explain it to them and that in itself is reason enough to call it great.
  • My favorite Andy Griffith show episode is the Christmas show when mean old Ben Weaver tries to get himself arrested. (Enter "Will Wright" in the database search box and note #6 under Notable TV guest appearances) On Christmas Eve, Ben Weaver (a legitimate liquor dealer) insists that Andy arrest a farmer for making some illegal moonshine to celebrate Christmas with. Andy brings the farmer's wife and two kids to the jail and, with Barnie, Opie, Aunt Bea, and Ellie, the whole lot of them celebrate Christmas right there in the jail. Ben becomes aware of this; feels left out; and tries to get himself arrested so he can join in the festivities. Thanks to some brilliant acting by Will Wright you start off intensely disliking Ben Weaver and end up feeling genuinely sorry for him.
  • Despite the small town setting, this show covered many situations that one would find anywhere. I've seen all 249 episodes- and watched as Andy always knew how to get the best out of people. He'd keep Barney from being the laughingstock of the town- he gave wise advice to his son and was not above admitting when he was wrong- like the time he was upset with Opie for not giving more to charity- then finding out that Opie was saving his money to buy a girl a coat. Everything about this series appeals to me- from the show when Bill Bixby went from being a spoiled city brat to taking responsibility for his accident. Though Griffith was labeled as the star- Don Knotts added so much with his idiosyncracies. Ron Howard added to it to- being both a good son and standing up for himself- speaking his mind when he thought he was right- like the time he knew that there was a Mr. Beavy- a man who could climb trees and he jingled. Aunt Bea also gave warmth and wit to the show.Though she started as little more than a housekeeper- she soon blossomed and got a driver's license and started a business. Its easy to see why this show is still in syndication- the Darlings- with their songs and ways added to many episodes and even Goober and Gomer had something unique to offer -- and the fun girls- Skippy and Daphne always make me laugh. From Floyd the barber to the moonshining sisters and some of the best "criminals"- this show is one of the best that television has to offer.
  • Whenever I want a break from the cruel world that is 2001, I tune onto the Andy Griffith Show. It's just the thing I need--a little bit of black and white, a lot of stupid things happening, and simple plots that are easy to follow. Even if you come in during the middle of the program, it's still easy enough to follow along! This is one of my all-time favs.
  • The Andy Griffith Show aired back when television shows had moral fiber. Every episode had a lesson to be learned, with a good combination of humor and seriousness. The characters were likable and funny. They all had a purpose. The pairing of Sheriff Andy Taylor and Deputy Barney Fife is absolutely hilarious. And Goomer and Goober Pyle mad the show even more comical. But it had its serious points. They could obviously not air a show like this nowadays because people nowadays don't really care about moral fiber. All they want to see are the stupid and mediocre programs to day.

The black-and-white seasons are better than the Technicolor ones. Mostly the black and white one have Barney Fife. The show wasn't the same without him. Aunt Bee ads a moral standard to the show also. And Opie is the typical American baby-boomer generation kid. The show is great. It is as American as Aplee Pie.
  • When news of Don Knotts death at the age of 81 was released today, it was revealed that he was a Morgantown West Virginia native and had in fact had to cancel a public appearance there due to "medical conditions" that were not made public. In the course of the show Aunt Bea was said to come from Morgantown West Virginia, which I found interesting indeed. Having been to Morgantown myself, I found it an otherwise unremarkable burg plunked down in the gorgeous foothills of the Appalachian mountains, and stayed nearby at a beautiful bed n breakfast in Glengary overlooking the Shenadoah valley. I could see how he would like to have the area memorialized, it doesn't have the timeless quality of Mt Airy (where you can visit Andy Griffiths childhood home and go eat at Floyds Barber shop restaurant!) but it is a pretty area.
  • I watch the show everyday, and occasionally my family joins me. I hadn't realized that my ten year old son paid any attention to the show until he found out during a PTA conference that he would be attending Mayberry Middle School in Wichita, Kansas. He rolled his eyes and said, "Oh great! I'm going to be in black-and-white!" I was the first to laugh, and had to explain it to his teacher and principal.

I wish more people would watch this show. It shows how single fatherhood can be a positive thing. Of course, he did have Aunt Bea to help keep the house clean and cook the meals. None of my own relatives would be willing to move in to help out and NOT try to take over, or tell me how to raise my children!

This show also shows us the life of a town/city official and how this effects family life. Opie deals with a lot of pressure of trying to set a good example because it would look bad if the sheriffs's son was a spoiled brat that could get away with anything. A good example of this is an episode that has a young man whose father is either rich or a government official (I can't remember) and he's arrested for speeding. When he is at Andy's house, he witnesses Andy telling Opie that he has to pay for a neighbor's window he broke out of his allowance. The young man asks Andy why he didn't just give Opie a break and pay for it himself. Andy explains that if he did, Opie would never learn that he had done something wrong. Does anyone know what the episode title is? I couldn't find it on the list.
  • This is one of my favorite shows. As a child, especially, my family and I would all gather around the TV and watch this show every time it came on. We bought and taped many an episode. For everyone who hasn't yet seen this show, do yourself a favor and find some episodes. This show has good, wholesome morals and just goes to show that there are still great shows out there without violence or dirty talk. In short, this show just plain gives you a real warm feeling of home and family. So, go find some episodes and watch them with your family, you won't regret it.
  • It may be impossible to find the greatest tv series of all time, but The Andy Griffith Show is definitely in the top ten. It had the warmest most realistic characters and the best writing ever. This show created the best characters out of Andy, Barney, Opie, Aunt Bee, Otis, Floyd, Ellie, Helen and Thelma Lou. Unfortunately, it had just as many clunkers with the extremely irritating and illogical Gomer, Goober, Warren, Howard and Emmett. The best thing about the show was the camaraderie of Andy Griffith and Don Knotts; despite their fights and teasing, you knew they cared about each other. It was this kind of compassion that made everyone connect with the series. Knotts' departure from it was the removal of all the heart as during the rest of the show's run Andy went around irritated all the time. It's these color episodes that are the only thing wrong with the otherwise impeccable show. If Bewitched can be divided into two different series, one black and white, one in color, then the same ought to be done for Andy, and spare the lovers of the series from having to see the worst.
  • One of the finest TV shows ever, although I would recommend that viewers confine themselves only to the b&w episodes and skip the color episodes.

Every story had a moral, every story had gentle humor and the acting is first-rate. Barney Fife is one of TV's most memorable characters and some of his bits are hilarious no matter how many times you see them: "Welcome to Checkpoint Chickie!", Barney's agonizing attempt to recite the Preamble of the US Constitution from memory, Barney showing Ernest T. Bass how to enter a room and greet people at a party.

I defy anyone not to get choked up when watching "Opie the Birdman", first when Andy punishes Opie by making him listen to the cheeping baby birds whose mother Opie has killed, and then when Opie releases the now-grown sparrows.

The quintessential episode is "Man in a Hurry" where Charlotte businessman Malcolm Tucker finds himself stranded in Mayberry on a Sunday when it is totally impossible to get any work done. Tucker rails against Mayberry's snail pace but by the end of the episode, succumbs to it. It was the episode that introduced Gomer Pyle by the way.
  • Think about it - headline reads: "Andy Griffith, The Brady Bunch, and Gunsmoke" return to prime-time, network television in a modernized version in an effort to bring back morally reposible programming to the American livingroom. (Dreams are allowed, aren't they?)
  • I absolutely love show! I grew up watching it! I loved Barney! When Don Knotts died when I was 18 it torn me apart! This is a great show in ALL aspects! Dynamic Duo, Andy and Barney, are by far the best chemistry for characters! No one will ever have that something like they did! Great MORAL listen, and I wish the world could be like Mayberry! Kids could leave in the morning to play and not come back til dark, and the parents not know where they are, but they knew that they were OK! Everybody knows everybody! and it never hurts to be a comedy! This is the funniest show ever! The wits of Andy and the clumsiness of Barney make the whole show! I recommend this show! And think it should be put in school curriculum to teach the listens that it has to offer! God Bless and Rest in Peace Don Knotts!
  • I remember The Andy Griffith Show well from its days as a Monday night staple on CBS to long-running reruns since the network first reran the show in daytime under the title Andy of Mayberry. To me, it was a very down home piece of life in a small southern town that is definitely the best known rural show of all-time.

Griffith's folksy appeal was one key to the show's success. But the main reason the show became a hit was Don Knotts portrayal of deputy Barney Fife. His hyper tense mannerisms and comedic timing have made the character one of the funniest in sitcom history. When he left the show after five years, I felt the show jumped the shark. His replacement, Jack Burns wasn't as good as Knotts and he had a much shorter run.

The show was also the spring board to Ron Howard's career. he started at age six as Opie and grew into his teens when Griffith quit the show in 1968. Also, there was Frances Bavier as Aunt Bee, best known for her cooking. The show also became the launching pad for Jim Nabors' career. After a season as Gomer Pyle, he got his own show, Gomer Pyle, USMC.

The Andy Griffith Show is a true cult classic and a show that will never leave reruns on cable or local channels. From the whistled theme song to the closing credits, viewers can get a slice of small town life via Mayberry each day.