User Reviews (50)

• Simply one of the finest shows from American t.v.This is an undeservedly "lost" show ,amazingly neglected when so many inferior 60's series are wildly overpraised.If you have never seen "Route 66" try to,it's a rare gem.The scripts are not just highly literate,but often close to poetic(no wonder Jim Aubrey,downmarketeer boss at CBS TV disliked it!).There's a great deal of acting talent in the guest roles-Boris Karloff,Lee Marvin,Robert Duvall,Warren Stevens,Lew Ayers,Michael Rennie,Martin Sheen,Dorothy Malone,Ed Asner,Walter Matthau,Edward Andrews,Leslie Nielson,Anne Francis,Jack Lord,William Shatner and Dan Duryea are just a few to look out for.The two part story "Fly away home" has a haunting tortured performance by Michael Rennie as a doomed pilot;"Welcome to Amity"featuring Susan Oliver is both uplifting and truly moving; in "A month of Sundays" the "Route 66" camera captures Anne Francis at the peak of her stunning beauty and series regular Martin Milner gives the performance of his life as a drug crazed Tod Stiles in "A thin white line".These are just some of the highlights in "Route 66".The location filming (unusual then and now),provides a marvellous time capsule of a now vanished America.
  • I saw many of the 1960 and 1961 episodes while in the service. I was so taken by the show that in my mind (confusing reality and television), I decided to hit the road when I got discharged in 1962. I purchased a 1961 Vette and a buddy and I set off from Sacramento, California sometime in May 1963 a la Tod and Buzz to find adventure and romance at every stop. Unfortunately we only got as far as southern Utah when we totally ran out of money. I guess we forgot that Buzz and Tod took time out to work here and there. Anyway, it was fun while it lasted and my only lasting regret was having sold the Corvette. Back to the show: one fascinating aspect is in the scripts. Silliphant in particular was a great writer both serious and comedic - but what is amusing today is the amount of beat-era language, as well as existentialist philosophy. Sterling must have read his Sartre and Camus - or at least Tod did while at Yale. The show had at times a strangely schizophrenic nature: trite, even stupid story lines, but some very profound dialogue (at least for television). And the need for at least one fist fight in every episode gives the lie to any myth of a "kinder and gentler nation" before the counter culture invasion in the mid 60's.
  • Rt 66 was such a breath of fresh air. I have been a movie buff all my life and after seeing all the backlot tv shows from the mid fifties to 1960, this show had my eyes wide open. Everything was on location and the production values were as good as any theatrical movie. Some of the story lines toward the end of the run were stupid but the values were always there. Most of the time I would watch the show to see how good location filming done quickly could be done so good. I think the producer owned or had owned Republic Studios who were the best at making movie serials and that would explain a lot. In watching reruns it is surprising how little the Corvette was actually seen in some episodes. After this, I found backlot shows to be very cheap, boring entertainment.
  • I was about ten when this show premiered and watched it with my parents every friday night between Rawhide and Twilight Zone. As you can see Friday was a good night for TV. I was fascinated with the show and its two stars, both of whom I had crushes on. They were both so natural in their acting and always delivered some words of wisdom by the shows end. The fact that the show was always on location made it much more interesting to watch. I was sorry too when Nick at Night quit airing it in the 80's. I watched as many of the reruns as I possibly could and even now have a few on tape. It's a show I think that still holds up today because of its uniqueness and naturalness.
  • I got hooked on this through my obsession with Adam-12 and some tapes I bought off ebay. I've only seen 14 episodes, but they are 14 of the greatest TV episodes of any drama ever to make it into our homes. So few shows now make you think, but this does and that's good. Makes you think about human nature, the world, and your role in it. It's more than just a show about two cute guys in the world's coolest car (though there's nothing wrong with that), it's about people. I cry when I remember that no one has jumped at the opportunity to put this show on their network. What are they thinking??? This is the drama that all the dramas since have wanted to be but never succeeded at becoming.
  • it's funny, i was in 8th grade the last year route 66 aired and got to see a few episodes. this was because one had been filmed in daytona beach so i watched it. then i caught the rest of the last season before it went off the air.

i don't think i could fully appreciate just what a remarkable show this was. shot on location, featuring a literal who's who in Hollywood, i think maybe, this show was way ahead of its time. but it worked so well in the early 60's when quality television was quite common.

anyhow, i always said this was the ONE SHOW i wanted to see in reruns. when it aired on nick at nite in 1985, i watched more than half of the episodes and was never disappointed. mix a way cool theme song, some beautiful country, two hip guys and the corvette, how could you go wrong!!
  • I have been living in Asia for the past 32 years so I don't know if

reruns of "Route 66" have ever been running on television in the States

over the past 3 decades. But 20 years ago when I read Alvin Toffler's

prediction in The Third Wave that the future would see professionals

not loyal to any one company but working with an honest fervor at a

given task and then moving on to the next worthy challenge, my

impression was, "this guy is describing the world of Buz and Tod on

'Route 66'." In an era when America was composed of white collar

office workers and blue collar union members, all working towards a

pension, 'Route 66' was a breath of fresh air, an escape, and a

challenge to try something different as well as a reminder that one

should move on not with a sense of despair but with a feeling of

jubilation and wonder at what is over the next hill. Against the

current economic climate in both Japan and the U.S.A., such a reminder

is especially needed today. Let's move on with a sense of jubilation

and wonder. And to help us do it, bring back the "Route 66" series.
  • Just look to your left and click on guest appearances. If you do you're in for one heck of a surprise! This show had some great writing in the early years. Reruns were on the Nick-At-Night TV network in the eighties, I was so disappointed I haven't watched the network since. Every episode was a full and complete story, the writing had to be excellent to be able to pull in the caliber of talent that you see on this list. Many current and back then, future stars ought to make this show more visible than it is but sadly that's not the case. It had a great music score from Nelson Riddle and great stories written by Sterling Silliphant. Last but not least, a great car! PLEASE, SOMEBODY BRING THIS SHOW INTO OUR HOMES AGAIN.
  • Marty Milner and his sidekick George Maharis get into intrigue and adventure on the highways and byways. Mostly across the good old USA, but one stop each in Canada and Mexico.

Ahhh, what a great concept for a TV series in this post-war period. Two virile young dudes getting into a gorgeous Corvette and driving aimlessly until the gas money ran out. This was one of the more well written and plotted series of the day, too! Some have called the dialogue intellectual and poetic. It is one of those shows that was impossible to stop watching once you were in the first five minutes. Gorgeous scenery and the perpetual sense that adventure was always just around the turnpike.

Stan Lee and Marvel Comics wouldn't admit this, but it would appear they may have unintentionally ripped off the Buzz Murdock character in creating one of their stable characters, Daredevil. According to all the trivial facts about Route 66, Buzz Murdock hails from Hell's Kitchen! Daredevil's secret identity, MATT Murdock, hails from Hell's Kitchen! It seems to me in one episode, Buzz was even blinded! Matt Murdock is blind!

Nah, I don't really care either, but thought somebody out there might find it interesting.
  • I've just seen several episodes of Route 66, which I remember from reruns in the late 60's. The location shots are absolutely wonderful - how Martin Milner and George Maharis survived all the travel to shoot on location is amazing in itself.

The story lines deal with people and their personal lives in a very intimate way. Wonderful "guest stars" too - from Robert Redford and Robert Duvall to Walter Matthau and Jack Lord.

I grew to appreciate Milner and Maharis from earlier parts they played -Milner as the stoic, sincere jazz guitarist in "Sweet Smell of Success," in 1957 and Maharis in the first hour-long episode of Naked City in 1960. My kind of actors.

All in all, Route 66 is a great show.
  • It was 1960, when the country was far less crowded and open roads beckoned just outside the cities. This was before the country lost its innocence via Vietnam and Watergate, a time when the rest of the world bought our manufactured goods and America had saved the world from Hitler and fascism within recent memory.

Cynicism and paranoia hadn't yet taken hold, many people would actually stop to help if your car broke down on the highway and altruism was a viable concept on TV and in real life. Into this world rode 2 young guys in a Corvette convertible (Corvettes were still somewhat exotic at the time), who met unusual people everywhere they went, which was all over the USA and even Canada. The two young men were total opposites, who made a fascinating personality clash and a winning pair of adventurers and Good Samaritans. Dark-haired Buz Murdock (played by George Maharis) was the brooder and battler with street smarts, who spoke like the hep-cat and jazz buff he was, while sophisticated, red-haired Yale grad Tod Stiles (Martin Milner) quoted literature and poetry, charmed the ladies and handled his share of the bullies. Sometimes the two boys were the center of the stories, other times just onlookers.

The dramatic, socially-conscious scripts met the tough issues head-on, from runaway kids and juvenile delinquency (this was long before young kids routinely carried guns to school) to substance abuse, terrorism and mercy killing. The quality of the scripts demanded high-powered acting, which it got from its stars Maharis and Milner and the impressive list of guest stars, including Rob't Duvall, Rob't Redford, Lee Marvin, Ed Asner, Martin Balsam, Alan Alda, Janice Rule and Jack Warden, to name only a few.

"Route 66" was so progressive socially because its producer (Herbert Leonard) allowed his chief writer (Stirling Silliphant) to tackle just about any subject he wanted, with no interference from the network or sponsors - a very unusual situation, even in 1960. There are so many out-of-the-ordinary elements in this show it's hard to list them all and in retrospect it seems like a kind of avant-garde television, with 100% location filming, travelogue, adventure and even a sort of Playhouse-90-like dramatic quality, all rolled into one. Perhaps the show's most striking element was the remarkable dialog, usually relegated to the guest actors, which often took the form of meditations on life or the ruminations of demoralized characters forced to confront their demons. This dialog can be seen today as nothing less than brilliant free-verse poetry, into which (future Oscar-winning Hollywood screenwriter) Silliphant poured his deepest thoughts. Looking back it seems remarkable such a show was ever made at all. Having written a book on this program, I've come to know "Route 66" quite well and feel privileged to have watched it.
  • "Route 66" was my favorite TV drama series of the 1960s. It was very appealing for a young male of any race. There were these two cool guys, Todd Stiles (Martin Milner), Buzz Murdock (George Maharis) and Lincoln Case (Glenn Corbett) (replaced Maharis during the final season) driving from town to town in a brand new Corvette. Their lives were filled with adventure and lots of girls. Like "The Twilight Zone", it was a series from which many actors got their start. Each week, viewers could see actors like Robert Redford, Lee Marvin, William Shatner, Martin Balsam, Robert Duvall, Ed Asner, Rod Steiger, David Janssen, DeForest Kelley, Burt Reynolds, etc. Plus, the theme song, written by Nelson Riddle, was perhaps the greatest TV theme song of all times. "Route 66" wasn't a "rebel" type of show. This was probably why the series ran from 1960-1964. Although Stiles and Murdock were opposites: Stiles, cultured and educated, while Murdock, street like and not so educated, they were both decent young men. They complimented each other and rarely did they clash with one another. Furthermore, many episodes had "spiritual" overtones. For examples: Two of the best episodes were: "The Strengthening Angels" (1960) and "One Tiger to a Hill" (1962) In "Strengthening Angel", a young and beautiful Suzanne Pleshette plays Lotti Montana, a migrant worker who's going to help pick the peach crop a town called Sparrow Falls. In the opening scene, it's night and raining. Lotti is at the local church about to give her testimony when she instead runs hysterically from the building. She runs out in the street and nearly gets hit by Todd and Buzz in the Corvette. Lotti gets a lift with them. Tired and hungry, they stop at the nearest diner although she insists that they eat outside of the city limits. While at the local diner, Tod and Buzz become acquainted with the town Sheriff (John Larch). Meanwhile, Lotti is waiting in the Corvette and gets harassed by a drunken man who recognizes her. While returning to the car, Todd and Buzz see the drunk harassing Lotti. Buzz pushes him away but the drunk brings so much attention to them that the Sheriff comes after them as they drive away from the scene. The Sheriff stops them further up the road and arrests them for harboring a fugitive, Lotti Montana. Apparently, Lotti is wanted for the murder of the brother of the Sheriff. At the station, the Sheriff releases Todd and Buzz but he detains Lotti. As a result of this, Buzz gets into a fists fight with Sheriff but the Deputy catches Buzz from behind with "cheap" shot. The Sheriff has no intention of keeping buzz locked up in prison but he does just long enough to patch up his busted head and to give him the low down regarding Lotti's past. After Buzz is released he and Todd seek an attorney to take Lotti's case. At first, it appears as though the attorney isn't willing to take the case. However, he does because it turns out that he knows the reason why Lotti killed the Sheriff's brother. The Sheriff's brother had a romantic interest in Lotti and often pursued her to his brother's disliking. One night after getting drunk with his friend, the future attorney, they went by Lotti's place. The Sheriff's brother tried to rape her, so she stabbed him with a pair of scissors. This story is corroborated by Lotti's young daughter who has been sheltered by her mom from ever giving her side of the story. The most magnificent scene takes place when Lotti's Pastor (Harry Townes) visits her in prison and prays with her to receive Christ's forgiveness. Townes gave a stellar performance as Pastor Daniel Wylie. Stirling Silliphant wrote this episode and most of the episodes. The episode concludes with Lotti (Pleshette) being released from prison and giving Buzz a kiss on the lips for helping her. Buzz and Todd drive off while the Sheriff watches from his window.

"One Tiger to a Hill" featured David Janssen as Karno, an ex-Vietnam soldier who hates Todd over a girl (Laura Devon as Toika) and because he escaped the draft as a student in college. Working as salmon fishermen in Astoria, Oregon. Tod and Buzz encounter Karno, who wants to kill or be killed. Todd and Karno have several brawls but the finale comes when they brawl on board a ship where Karno is knocked overboard. Meanwhile, Todd, Buzz, and Toika wait at the dock to receive word from the coast guard regarding Karno. "Lo and behold"! Karno approaches the dock on board a coast guard cutter. The stage is set for the most magnificent scene of the episode. Karno (Janssen) explains his experience underwater. His experience is similar to that of Jonah and the Whale. While underwater, he looks up and sees the sky above. For the first time in his life he fills small, which is good. Then he is miraculously saved from the tempest of the sea. As he said, "All of a sudden I became gigantic. I was born again." Karno and "teary"eyed Toika walk off into the sunset. Around 1985, the series "Route 66" was aired in its entirety on "Nick-at-Nite". I have all 116 episodes on DVD. A. Zachary Sanders
  • Still the best of the TV "Road Shows", ... even in re-runs (Nick at Night).

A true inspiration for every generation who never felt the "Mother Road" under their tires.
  • I was about 12 years old when I discovered route 66 on Friday nights. A buddy of mine at school told me about a "cool show". I tuned in on a black and white Sylvania TV with rabbit ears on a Friday night and was hooked. I couldn't decide which cool guy I wanted to be: Todd or Buzz? Probably it was Buzz who became my alter ego; but I looked more like Todd with my light hair and complexion. I lusted after those Corvettes more than the popular female hotties at school. I didn't even have a driver's license, but figured if I had a 'vette, getting a girl would be easy. For the next 47 years whenever I became terminally stressed out with the overwhelming catastrophes of life...I would tune in a route 66 episode. I believe Route 66 and that black-and-white-one-eyed-TV-monster had the power to heal! In high school, I seriously thought about quitting sports so I could be home on Friday nights to watch my buds, Todd and Buzz and the 'vette. During the '80s the episodes were regularly re-run on Nick-At-Nite, I think. In the 90's I watched some of the episodes I had video taped in the 80's...then discovered tapes and DVDs for sale on the internet. George Maharis and Marty Milner were like my favorite uncles. God, I wish some enterprising documentarian nut would interview them both about the show on DVD before they are gone! Just have them dissect every episode...like a director's cut. Imagine! It would be pure narcotic for all of us route 66 Todd-Buzz-old-Corvette addicts! Did anyone notice the music on the weekly series was always jazz! The rock and roll era was launched, dude. But you would never know it by watching any rt66 episode. You'd think the producers would have worked some Chuck Berry "motorvating" music into the show, or Dwayne Eddie, Eddie Cochran...or SOME rock and roll! I guess the the guys who wrote the show were anti-rock and roll young old farts then. Nobody has been able to explain WHY there was no rock and roll on route 66??!! Well now... The highway is gone; the USA that you used to be able to see in your Chevrolet is gone. Everything is mostly the boring same everywhere...the same fast food joints...everything has become a friggin' franchise. The interstate highway system did it. Now I am 59 years young and I ride a motorcycle. I have two: an old BMW airhead and a 2003 MotoGuzzi. (Actually, I have a third one, a 1981 Honda CB900c completely stock with a Hondaline full fairing that I would like to sell). .....Riding with my buds....I stay off interstates. My buddies and I seek out and ride the twisty two lane roads, chasing youth and that spirit of old route 66 that lives inside us all. Hey Todd and Buzz, live forever, man! The old highway is gone but yet remembered in my soul.... when I am out there alone on some two-lane road with a full tank of gas and nothing but the sound of my motor running strong and the wind in my face, watching the white lines streak by next to my front wheel....I think about you guys now and then. And I secretly wish for a miracle in time when I would pull into a gas station and catch site of you two guys gassing up the Corvette, and looking at a road map. Maybe in the next life. My vision of heaven has only two lane highways, mom and pop diners, lots of chrome, and a 1962 Corvette that turns out to be,in some kind of Twilight Zone,weird Stephen-King-ish plot, to be God. I am specifying in my will that they play Nelson Riddle's Route 66 theme at my funeral! And...you can bury my body by an old abandoned stretch of Route 66 so my soul can stand by the highway with the other ghosts, hitch-hiking a ride..to anywhere.
  • It's said "they don't make 'em like they used to" and Route 66 certainly brings credibility to that statement. I was only about eleven years old when the show went off the air, but what an impact it had. I can't see one of those old two seater Chevys without the sweet theme song going lightly through my head. Here's a masculine buddy show, two good looking guys, side by side, all the way across the country. Pure and simple, clean and fascinating, both the relationship and the adventures they achieved. I have no doubt that my own cross country odyssey in a little open air two seater from New England to Southern California in the mid 1970s was subconsciously a way to live briefly as Buz or Tod. Can't wait for the DVD which I understand is coming out in a couple of months because the world is a place more lacking for want of reruns of this All American classic.
  • In 1960, as a seven year old boy growing up in historic Salisbury, North Carolina, the weekly TV show, Route 66, whisked me away to the open road and high adventure in an open-topped red Corvette convertible. Howmuch better could life be for a seven year old boy in Small Town USA?! This was high-living for the next four years of my life.

"Buzz" and "Todd" (the main characters) had quickly become my best friends as I rode with them every Friday night (8PM) to high adventure. I wish "TV Land" would bring this show back into our lives and show kids of today that you don't need to have sex and violence in order to enjoy some great TV! Herbert W. (Bo) Newsome, Salisbury, NC

In summary, This was a wonderful show!
  • The romance of the road is alive and well as Tod (Martin Milner) and Buz (George Maharis) cruise the country in their snazzy corvette convertible and get involved in the lives of the people they meet. The series opens by explaining that the boys are lost and a "long way from Route 66," when they find themselves in a backwater Mississippi town that harbors a grim secret. From there, they're on to Louisiana where they get involved with a lady shrimp boat captain and find trouble at the New Orleans waterfront before befriending a Nazi-hunter on an off-shore oil rig.

This was the first drama to be filmed entirely on location (in 40 states and Canada) and the locations were really the key to the unique excitement of each show. The boys were mainly observers, albeit defenders of the underdog and good with their fists if need be. Each show featured many famous stars and well-known character actors; the quality of the acting and the scripts (most by Stirling Silliphant) were first-rate.

Clean-cut and twenty-something Tod and Buz bear no resemblance to the leering sex, drug, and rock and roll-crazed young men we often see on the screen today. Dressed in their button-down shirts and freshly-creased slacks, they were upstanding good guys who solved a town's problems in strictly G Rated style. It's fun to remember the old days through this wonderful series. And who could ever forget that cool theme music?
  • Route 66 centered on two young men, who traveled together in a sleek Corvette. The car was bequeathed to one of the main characters, named Tod, by his dead father. His traveling companion was named Buzz. Tod and Buzz were actually polar opposites. Tod came from an affluent background, and had an education that he'd acquired from Harvard. On the other hand, Buzz was a street-wise young tough, who grew up in the urban jungle of 'hell's kitchen', in NYC.

Tod and Buzz were seeking adventure during their travels, and they often got more than they bargained for. As they made their way from town to town, they frequently got into some serious skirmishes, that they were barely able to escape. They also got to assist many of the people that they met, in one way or another. In this way, the show resembled the story-line of the Fugitive, which was also an enormously popular 60s drama series.

George Maharis as Buzz, and Martin Milner as Tod, projected a good on-screen rapport, as the two road buddies. George had a more charismatic appeal as an actor, than Martin Milner did. The cinematography in this show was amazing. Especially considering that the show was produced in the early 60s, before the high-tech film cameras of today were available. The scenery in general, was always one of the most enjoyable parts of Route 66.

This was a quality TV drama series. And it was prescient regarding the restlessness of young people, that would intensify by the latter part of the 1960s. In this way, the show was really on the cutting-edge of hipness. Highly recommended, for fans of 60s TV dramas.
    I just finished watching the entire series in chronological order. It took me almost two years to the day to watch them.

I bought the first three seasons on DVD one season at a time.

Season 4 was not available on DVD unless you bought Route 66 The Complete Series but they did not make the entire series available until after I bought the first three seasons on DVD.

BUT, MeTV was showing the entire series in chronological order so I just waited until the fourth season started.

Within the last hour I watched the final episode. Is was part 2 of 2.

Route 66 ran from fall 1960 to spring 1964. The premise of the series was Tod Stiles father passed away who owned a large business but was in tremendous debt. So his business had to be liquidated and sold. By the time all his debt and creditors were paid off, all his recent Yale graduate son (Tod Stiles) inherited was a brand new Corvette.

One of the guys that worked for his father was an orphan raised in the tough streets of Hell's Kitchen named Buzz Murdoch, who had to learn to fight in one of the worst crime-ridden areas in the country just to survive.

The two of them decided to take to the road and see the country in the new 1961 Corvette.

The first two seasons were very good.

At the end of the second season and at the end of the third season, George Maharis (Buzz Murdoch) missed several episodes. He was replaced at the end of the 3rd season with Lincoln Case (Glenn Corbett), a Green Beret/Vietnam Vet.

As a whole, by the third season, the stories some times had little to do with the main characters; they were some times incidental characters in the stories.

And the Lincoln Case character was not that well defined. They started off defining him well--a Green Beret that when attacked by four hoodlums, sends them all to hospital. Tod Stiles takes umbrage at this, thinking these hoodlums semi-innocent teenagers and challenges Case to a fight. Case agrees not to use his karate so they fight to a stand still. In fact, Case never uses his karate skills throughout the rest of the series taking away what could have been a character-defining gritty toughness.

By contrast, Buzz Murdoch had his tough street-fighter side that defined him and made him interesting with a razor-sharp temper.

Some of these episodes in the fourth season —and even the third--I had to suffer through. The music was sometimes contrived and corny, tried to make me feel differently than what the screen conveyed and oft times there were unrealistic characters that I could also care less about. And unrealistic dialog where one character goes on a poetic monologue.

In the final episode reality was transcended: A character played by Patrick O'Neal dies and it's a joke with no investigation, no sorrow.

A lot of these old shows did not have a definitive ending, perhaps because they did not know they were going to be canceled, one of the exceptions being "The Fugitive." But the final episode of Route 66 DID have an end to the series: Tod Stiles gets married (to Barbara Eden), Linc Case ships his stuff back home to Texas and when Stiles says, "Well we're going that way, straight to Houston"

Case replies, "That's a two-seater you've got there old buddy."

Case walks out to the Corvette, puts Stiles and Eden's luggage in the car, looks the Corvette over one last time, rubs his hands on it, smiles in reminiscing fashion then walks away into the sunset with the Corvette in the foreground and one final musical phrase of the Nelson Riddle/Gil Grau Route 66 theme song. Lincoln Case is saying goodbye to the road.

The character most prevalent in this final scene of the series before it fades is the character most prevalent in the series—the Corvette. Fade Out.

For the end credits, whilst the Nelson Riddle theme song played, Route 66 always showed a still from a scene from the episode. In this case it was the final shot of the episode/series—the Corvette but this time without Lincoln Case in the scene.

The four year road trip had come to an end.

Too bad they couldn't get a cameo by Maharis in the final episode.

PS MeTV started Route 66 over with the first episode. Just for the heck of it I watched it again. The contrast in tension, character development and writing in watching the final episode immediately followed by the first was like night and day. Those early episodes were so much better.

Executive Summary: First two seasons very good (inspired me to look up Maharis' work after Route 66). Third and fourth season hit and miss with the fourth season mostly miss even though I liked GLenn Corbett as an actor. He just did not get that many good scripts.
  • Having watched Route 66 on Nick At Nite in 1985, I feel that the series was loosely based on Jack Kerouac's novel, On The Road which was written in 1957. The concept of the Beat Generation was certainly applied to this thought-provoking TV drama. While the two characters in the series were some what upgraded for television audiences, the basic concepts of the freedom to travel about, experiencing the lives of other people, and not settling into predictability produced a strong resonance that reverberates inside of many individuals. In some ways Route 66 could be considered a 20th century version of Mark Twain's classic novel Huckleberry Finn. In many ways. the series is very much a reflection of the human condition and of society looked at from the inside out. Striling Stilliphant was a true master at the craft of writing. May his work stand forever as an example of what solid truthful writing should be.
  • This TV series is one of the best ever produced. Why Columbia-Sony hasn't released more of the episodes is beyond me. Surely someone out there has an "in" with some" higher ups" at Columbia to let them know how rural America feels about some good T.V. Tod and Buz in the Corvette's traveling the roads in the U.S.A. The cars colors and years are as follows: 1960 Jewel Blue : 1961 Fawn Beige: 1962 fawn Beige:1963 Saddle tan; 1964 saddle tan. Some other cars were shown as extra's like a Mako Shark and some Fuelly cars borrowed from dealers. Most were 250 & 300 hp automatics. Some were stick shift cars like in" Birdcage on My Foot" and "Ten Drops of Water"
  • I am trying to find this TV series on DVD/Video. While shooting this series on location, my father was an extra in a scene where they were escorting someone to jail (I think). Anyway, he said they were walking towards the camera. I have never watched this show, and never knew my father was ever an extra in it. I have become very nostalgic about the era he grew up in (50's and 60's). I always liked they way things used to be at that time. People dressed up to go out somewhere. And it seemed it was a much simpler time.

I would love to see my father in his first 'acting' debut!! Can anyone help me find this if it is on DVD/Video somewhere??? Thanks!
  • jimlacy200318 September 2008
    I'm a bit to young to have seen this when I was a kid. But now I've seen about six episodes far I'm thinking Great show!

Neat to see all the interesting locations they travel. Interesting to get more of a feel of the attitudes of and culture of the early 60's, etc. Still a time when "Men were men, and Woman where, woman".

A big contrast in TV shows today. There is no obligatory homosexual, racial, or otherwise equality messages that seems necessarily woven in to today's shows to appease everyone. While at the same time not being offensive, it's refreshingly unpretentious. It is what it is.. these guys are just honest straight from the heart men.

Maybe a little over the top in seriousness/drama at times though..
  • Long before he became Officer Malloy on the old "Adam-12" TV series,Martin Milner was the coolest cat around during his days as Tod on "Route 66". He was always the hippest cat in that crazy and cool,and good-looking Corvette as he and he buddy Buz travelled the country in search of fun and sometimes adventure.

The show itself was a symbol of expression and interest basically keeping viewers keen in their escapades. They say that it was filmed on the backlot of the old Republic Studios,but instead some of it was filmed on location and the rest on a lot at Columbia Pictures(Screen Gems TV). The storylines kept the action going,but at the end of the series it was kinda stupid and lame,but in turn the first three seasons of the show were really great(from 1960-1963).

The re-runs of this show surfaced quite often,but during part of the mid-1980's,the show ended up on TV's Nick-at-Nite during the early years of the network as part of its weekly line-up of programming. Its theme song,by the way,will live on forever as the best jazz score ever made(by composer Nelson Riddle),and to this day it still holds up great!!! Catch the re-runs if you can.
  • Despite some opinion, the series was and is more than just a cool Corvette, the envy of thousands of teenage boys of the time.

The series is a one-of-a-kind that helped define a new era of TV programming. Unlike studio-bound 1950's TV, Route 66 went on the real road for story backgrounds. Thus the episodes provide glimpses of an unvarnished America, unfashionable and undesigned. Locales might vary week-to-week, from the seedy to the suburban to the penthouse, or somewhere in-between. But in the background was always America's great symbol of freedom, the open road. A temptation that even the country's sprouting suburbs couldn't contain.

Of course, Buzz and Todd's backgrounds made plot versatility possible— Todd the educated upper-class young man, Buzz the tough slum kid. Together, they sort of coexisted in interesting fashion on-screen, perhaps because of the actors' testy off-screen relationship. Unfortunately, Glenn Corbett, Maharis's successor, lacked his predecessor's brooding intensity and the show was soon cancelled. However that may be, the series often featured name actors from Hollywood or talented newcomers. These too added genuine audience appeal.

Just as important was the writing. Head writer Silliphant managed to maintain a generally extraordinary level of narrative interest-- with compelling characters, rarely heard poetic dialog, and often ironical or poignant outcomes that were unlike the usual happy endings of the day. Scripts specialized in revealing lost or forgotten souls at a time when TV generally ignored them amid rising suburban prosperity. Then again, audiences never knew where the guys would be the following week since the only constant was the open road. So if you didn't like this week's episode, next week would be a different cast of characters in a new story with unpredictable locales. All in all, I don't think the complex format has been replicated since. Despite the show's popularity, it didn't spawn imitators, probably because of that difficulty.

Anyway, I never missed the show then, and am happy it's made available to fresh generations-- after all, whatever else changes, that open road still beckons.