User Reviews (31)

• "Cinderfella" was Jerry Lewis' answer to the classic Cinderella story. And he intended it to be a masterpiece. To say that it fell somewhat short of it's goal is putting it mildly, but it's not bad. The plot is, of course the familiar story, with a few (expected) variations. When his father dies, poor Fella (Lewis) is left at the mercy of his snobbish stepmother (Judith Anderson) and her two no-good sons, Maximilian (Henry Silva) and Rupert (Robert Hutton). As he slaves away for his nasty step-family, Maximilian and Rupert attempt to find a treasure Fella's father has supposedly hidden on the estate. Meanwhile, hoping to restore her dwindling fortunes, the stepmother plans a fancy ball in honor of the visiting Princess Charmein (Anna Maria Alberghetti) whom she hopes will marry Rupert. Eventually, Fella's Fairy Godfather (Ed Wynn) shows up to convince him that he has a shot at winning the Princess himself. Lewis had big plans for the film's release. Although it was completed in January of 1960, he insisted it make it's debut that Christmas, complete with a holiday campaign and record album tie-in. In the meantime, he produced and starred in a low budget item called "The Bellboy" in order for Paramount to have a Jerry Lewis movie for summer release. "Cinderfella" was given a lavish production and a formidable supporting cast was recruited to co star with Lewis. He was indeed fortunate to obtain the services of Judith Anderson, who, while not a performer one would expect in a Jerry Lewis film, was nevertheless excellent as the stepmother, bringing just the right touch of arrogance to the part. Ed Wynn is reliably daffy as the Fairy Godfather,though, due to severe editing, he disappears before the climax, and is not seen again. Silva and Hutton do what they can as the stepbrothers, but the beautiful Alberghetti has nothing to do but fall hopelessly in love with the hapless Fella. The pace of the film is somewhat choppy, and several critics pointed out that the editing had left voids in the plot. The film originally ran 99 minutes, it ended up at 88. Sure enough, it was released at Christmastime, when it inspired some of the most scathing critical comment ever bestowed on a Lewis picture. Most of this was devoted to Lewis' own performance, and his frequent mugging, mixed with his pathetic attempts to play for sympathy. "Cinderfella" did just O.K. at the box office, and it ended up well behind the modest "Bellboy" which was a box-office smash. Thanks to handsome sets (with exteriors filmed at the "Beverly Hillbillies" estate in Bel Air, CA), costumes and a pleasant (if unmemorable) score, "Cinderfella" is entertaining enough to get by. But you'd better be prepared for a lot of "singing/mugging" from the Producer/Star, who fancied himself a brilliant vocalist. After all, though, this is SUPPOSED to be a fairy tale!
  • Decades before there was a Jim Carrey, the movies unleashed another inspired nut case – Jerry Lewis – whose 50s and 60s Paramount Studio vehicles tended toward an oil-and-water mix of outrageous physical comedy and mawkish sentimentalism. 1960's "Cinderfella" is a casualty of that uneasy blend.

Taking the classic fairy tale and tailoring it to fit his talents, the stretch-faced, rubber-limbed comedian portrays "Fella," a poor, imbecilic, ostracized stepson who lives only to serve his cruel, absurdly wealthy stepmother (Judith Anderson) and her two greedy sons (Robert Hutton, Henry Silva) in their palatial mansion. The only reason they even allow Fella to still "bunk" at the mans (his bedroom is more the size of a closet) is that Fella's late father has hidden a vast fortune somewhere on the grounds of the estate and the step-kin think the dolt may know where it might be hidden.

Jerry is priceless when it comes to engineering clever, complex, high-energy sight gags. A testament to his versatility here is his miming flutist scene as he listens to a ditty on the radio in the kitchen (one of my all time favorite Lewis routines). The dinner scene where he caters to his family at an absurdly long dining table is another ingenious moment. Sprinkled throughout too are numerous well-timed bits, like the reading of the inscription off his father's ring, or (the frequently used) hair-combing bit, etc. But too much of the time, Jerry bogs the scenes down with cheap, slick, sentimental mush. He gets what I call "telethon tender" on us -- trying to work our heartstrings instead of our funnybones.

I remember the Marx Brothers having the annoying habit of breaking up their frantic comedy skits with "straight" musical numbers sung by some insipid ingenues that always took away from the fun. Same problem here...only worse! Lewis incorporates HIMSELF, a very mediocre singer, into these cloying musical numbers, and ten times out of ten they don't work. In "Cinderfella," he allows himself no less than FOUR soporific songs to indulge in, with one of those numbers, some silly nonsense about being a "people" instead of a "person", just unbearable. Jerry the Clown sells; Jerry the Lounge Lizard doesn't.

Judith Anderson is appropriately huffy and haughty and Henry Silva and Robert Hutton make a fine pair of oily villains, while proving good sports, too, as the unwitting victims of some of Jerry's mishaps. But the late, great Ed Wynn is wasted here as the "Fairy Godfather," mired in those gooey scenes I was talking about before. The demure, exceptionally lovely Anna Maria Alberghetti, who complements the lavish surroundings, appears too late in the proceedings to make any difference as the "Princess Charming" character who, for whatever reason, is smitten by the ungainly Fella. By the time she arrives, the film has lost its charm and humor, and we have lost our patience. It's too bad she didn't get to sing instead of Lewis.

I know it sounds like I'm not a fan at all of Jerry's, but I am! Like many producer/director/stars of his calibre, their egos get the best of them. Like Elvis Presley, most of his vehicles were not up to snuff. And in the case of "Cinderfella," Frank Tashlin may be credited with directing, but I think we all know who the director REALLY was on this set.

For those who appreciate Jerry as only the French can, I would suggest "The Disorderly Orderly," "The Ladies Man" and his most popular, "The Nutty Professor," to get a better feeling of this man's genius.
  • This should've been foolproof: Jerry Lewis playing a male variant of Cinderella, unloved and hoping to go to the ball. Talented writer-director Frank Tashlin allows Lewis to run rampant with the idea, which turns out to be a one-joke affair. Production is glossy, but the execution is enervated, overlong and fairly unfunny from the start. Jerry predictably mugs--he's never less than shameless--but with such weak material (and too much incidental chatter), he simply becomes a nuisance. His entrance in the ball sequence is, however, a wonderful bit, but it can't save the movie from being a huge disappointment. *1/2 from ****
  • soweird723 August 2006
    My mom told my sister and I she saw this movie when she was very young and absolutely loved it. So, I did what my mom wanted me too, was to Netflix it, and when it finally came, we all sat down to watch it. And...it was so awesome! I love Jerry Lewis. I've never seen a movie by him, and he was hilarious. I loved his singing too. He was amazingly great. I wasn't expecting him to be terrible or anything, but you know. I loved all the things he did. Just some simple things made it hilarious. I loved it! I think any kid maybe about 4 or older will love this. I am 14, and I enjoyed it so much. It's a movie I'll definitely have my children watch! It's an amazing movie, that I think anyone will love. This movie is definitely recommended.
  • I thought this was the cutest movie I've ever seen. Jerry Lewis is absolutely hilarious. I was not a big Jerry Lewis fan when he worked with Dean Martin. I had a very hard time getting into his work. However, when he went out on his own, I really became interested in his work. I would like to make mention of some things I found very interesting and very funny in this movie. For example, instead of a fairy God mother (like Cinderella had), he had a fairy God father. He also read approx. 50 words when reading the inscription on the ring given to him by his deceased dad. Like Cinderella, Cinderfella was a loving, hard-working and honest person who was treated unfairly at first. He waited on his step mother and step brothers hand and foot. I happily remember when he went to the kitchen to make orange juice and proudly put his hand out the kitchen window, pulled in a tree branch, took a knife and cut off several very large orange to use in the juice. I thought it was creative to have him listen to the radio and act out playing the flute. I loved it. But, like Cinderella, Cinderfella was rewarded in the end for all his hard work. I waited with excitement to see how he would get to the ball and loved what the writers came up with.. And when he made his grand entrance into the ball, I couldn't help notice what a smooth dancer Jerry Lewis really is. I thought the music was beautiful. After I saw this movie I had such a warm loving feeling in my heart and I really thank God for this touching comedy. Jerry Lewis is the funniest actor in the world and his shoes (glass or leather that is) will be very hard to fill in the future. Thank You.
  • One of Lewis's early non-Martin films. Superior production values and charm throughout, this is a true Sunday afternoon family affair. Based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale "Cinderella", orphaned Lewis is trapped in the situation of being royally taken advantage of by a selfish, scheming step-mother and her two full-grown layabout, playboy-wanna-be sons. The estate and a sizable fortune that went with it was to go to Lewis, but his "family" cleverly swindled him, making Lewis feel grateful to be "allowed to stay". Used and abused as house-boy, Lewis attracts the attention of a love-interest, much to the chagrin of the two rejected step-brothers. The rest is predictable.

Not a huge box-office success, this piece of light Hollywood candy nonetheless has found steady fans in the wonderful world of TV re-runs. Like Annette & Frankie and their beach outings, a steady supply of 1960s Jerry Lewis films have been shown and shown again on small screens all over the world. To own this gem on VHS is a sound investment in the comedy entertainment of any household. A big winner in my book!
  • this is a sweet,warm and adorable film but i would feel better if jerry wrote it. taken from the fairy tale, jerry does it again by being funny and throwing in some cute gags! ed wynn was great as the fairy godfather and the rest of the cast made this a great, heart warming movie. but, of course, jerry really shined. as in the nutty professor, jerry belts out wonderful songs with his swinging voice. the story was written and flowed nicely, but if the ending explained fella's and princess charming's relationship together, it might of been for the better. wow! who knew jerry could dance so well! the scene when jerry turned a swinging dancer was one of the best scenes in the film! i recomend this movie for anyone looking for a cute and touching story with some jerry lewis charm!
  • Wizard-87 April 1999
    I have nothing against Jerry Lewis - in fact, I've found several of his other movies funny. CINDERFELLA, however, was quite painful to sit through. The fault chiefly lies on Tashlin, who wrote and direct. He milks a gag endlessly, and there aren't very many humorous things in the movie in the first place. The music numbers consist of bad songs sung badly. Near the end of the movie, the movie looks like it went through some major editing, resulting in a number of things not explained or resolved. One good thing about the movie is the sets - they look lavish!

I hear they are planning to remake this movie. Though I usually balk at remakes, at least here they are planning to remake a BAD movie - which means there is plenty of room for improvement.
    Forget the age-old story... in the hands of Jerry Lewis, 'Cinderfella' becomes something special. And in this case, there are some marvelous set-pieces that are truly memorable.

Most notable is Jerry's entrance to the grand ballroom. Standing at the top of a staircase, snapping his fingers. Jerry moves beautifully across the screen, utilizing all 63 steps -- all to the sound of a sexy Count Basie number. His moves seem perfectly syncopated to the music. It's a wonderful scene.

And as Jerry has said, all done in one take -- which seems perfectly believable when you then hear his voice crack slightly upon taking the princesses hand ("Excuse me...").

I do like watching Jerry squeeze the oranges in the kichen. An ordinary task made funnier by his body language and goofy faces. And of course, the long protracted dinner table scene -- switching jackets, running back and forth, the salt in the soup -- great stuff.

The rest of the cast are good too. Henry Silva is wonderfully slimy as Jerry's conniving brother. And the beautiful Anna Maria Alberghetti is perfectly cast as Princess Charming. Though I wish the big dance number with Jerry had shown more of her.

There are some very funny scenes and as sappy as the story gets, it's rather sweet ("Keep breathing fish!). Considering that Jerry had already been in his hugely successful act with Dean Martin (where most performers would have retired), it was quite an accomplishment to have started carving out a solo career.

This man may have his flaws, but Jerry Lewis is priceless.
  • The old story told with a twist. The sexes are reversed in this one.

This time it's Jerry Lewis victimized by a wicked stepmother and her 2 hoodlum sons. Who else but Ed Wynn could play a fairy godfather?

Dame Judith Anderson, a veteran player of the wicked, is at it again but how can we expect this great lady to add comedy to spice up her performance. She needed to do her part with a comic twist as Jo Van Fleet did in the television version of "Cinderella." Sadly, that's missing. Playing the role straight is of no consequences in this farce. The sons come off like underworld hoods. It's a little too heavy for this film.

Jerry is funny but his attempts at singing fall quite flat.

Nice to show the kiddies that guys can be victimized too.
  • When you talk to many people about Jerry Lewis and his films, you often get extreme reactions. Some think he's a genius--one of the greatest film comics of all time. This is apparently true in much of the world outside the United States. Others think his films are terrible and would never watch them. Well, me being a compulsive nut about films, in the last couple years I have sought out his films and have seen most of them (a few, such as "The Day the Clown Cried" are not available). And, overall, I have come to feel that you cannot call his films good or bad--some are exceptional and some are terrible. This is true of most filmmakers and comics. So, when I say bad things about "Cinderfella", understand I am NOT anti-Lewis--I just think this film in particular is very, very weak. Why? Well, three main reasons sink this film--which I'll talk about below.

"Cinderfella" is a reworking of the traditional Cinderella story with a few big changes. Instead of women, it's a guy's story--with wicked step-brothers, a male protagonist and a fairy godFATHER. Another is that it's set in the present day--so you'll see cars, mansions in Beverly Hills and the like.

The film finds Jerry playing a person named 'Fella' (??). He lives with his nasty step-mother and step-brothers in a fancy mansion. Apparently, somewhere on the property some fortune is hidden--but no one knows where it is. In an odd (actually, BIZARRE) twist, Fella's dead father talks to him in dreams and tries to tell him where the money is hidden. This part of the story, to me, wasn't entirely necessary. Anyway, the rest is a lot like the original story--with a Ball, Fella working like a slave in his home and the rest.

So why was I less than thrilled with the film? The biggest problem was the singing. While Lewis' singing isn't bad, and occasionally pretty good in some films, here it is rather poor--and he does it many, many times. One song might have worked, but for a non-singer, four is too many and each time he sang, the film ground to a halt. Second, and it is also a biggie, is that the film just wasn't funny. Too few of the jokes worked and, frankly, there just weren't that many attempts at laughs. In contrast, in "The Bellboy" (which I really liked), the jokes came so rapidly that even if they didn't work each time, you kept laughing. Here, there were fewer attempts and too many serious moments. Finally, in too many scenes, the director (not Lewis in this case) overdid the scenes. For example, Jerry doesn't just comb his hair like a normal guy, he had to comb it 'wacky'--and took too long combing his hair! And, as Fella did his household chores, each time it was so overdone and overlong that it strained my nerves. Overall, a clear misfire and among Lewis' weakest films. Not terrible--just not all that good.
  • capone66612 September 2015
    Cinderfella

The reason animals don't dress the men in fairy tales is they have appendages birds could mistake for an earthworm.

Fortunately, nothing is ripped from the body of the lowly wretch is this comedy.

After his mother's death, Fella's (Jerry Lewis) father remarries Emily (Judith Anderson), who has two sons (Henry Silva, Robert Hutton) as wicked as her.

When his father passes, Fella is renamed Cinderfella, and banished to an empty bedroom.

When a ball is held to find a suitor for Princess Charming (Anna Maria Alberghetti) everyone but Cinderfella gets to go. That is until his fairy godfather uses his magic to help him attract the Grand Ducy's eye.

By switching the genders of the main characters, this goofy slapstick version of the fairy tale manages to stand out from the throng of lesser Cinderella adaptations.

However, no princess is ever going to pick-up a man's abandoned smelly shoe.

Yellow Light

vidiotreviews.blogspot.ca
  • millsierocks4 January 2005
    love it
    cinderfella is the most adorable movie i have ever seen. jerry lewis is an excellent writer and is a very good actor. i especially love the when fella and the fairy godfather talk about the difference between a people and a person. i think the fairy godfather was a bit to flamboyant though. I'm not saying thats a bad thing, but it was very distracting. i think it was a good idea to make a male version of Cinderella. jerry lewis uses his creative ideas in the movie to make it funny. his facial expressions compliment his ideas perfectly. i would recommend this movie to everyone. it is a great movie and i would rate it 10/10 because it is very funny.
    There is a reason why cinderfella is a masterpiece. That's right! A masterpiece. Cinderfella has more or less the same as the action-adventure-comedy toon movie, Shrek. But Shrek never probed the human condition or attacked and satirized the political and economic stratum the way Cinderfella does. It is an attack on those ever after children's tales that driven the prince charming/cinderella complex among women. With the popularity of such poor romantic comedies as Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, and Jennifer Lopez vehicles succeeding; and the equally popular tv shows the bachelor/ette and Joe millionaire; it's nice to know Jerry was ahead of the game, as he always was. By making Cinderella - Cinderfella - Jerry attacks man's and societies need for perfection, a perfection that is a dream, only. The evil stepbrothers, instead of stepsisters make for an even more cruel prologue to an unfamiliar denouement. Lines like "the problem with women is that they want to take credit for creating everything" is classic. But this is no misogynist piece. It is the most unusual romantic comedy, if you can call it that; that I've ever seen. You cannot but marvel at the scene where Fella walks down the stairs; those stairs that are at least twelve stories high. It shows man's neeed to sugarcoat everything and aim for the high without first settling on whom they are. The slipper left behind here is no glass slipper but a regular Joe shoe, and when fella tells his step-brothers who have only been using him to try and find his father's riches, which belongs left to Fella that;

"SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

"All you care about money, isn't it? That's all you've ever wanted? Well I've always known where the money is? You can have it?"

END OF SPOILERS! END OF SPOILERS! END OF SPOILERS! END OF SPOILERS!

You can only smile and nod along, because you know, riches aren't everything. A simple and common statement but one worth repeated over, as it is often forgotten, unheeded and trivialized. And the final five minutes is just the most touching final moments of any romantic comedy, as it becomes clear, that life isn't for the Prince charmings or the princesses but the regular joe and he doesn't have to say he has $50,000,000, to live or enjoy it. You know, the more I think of this movie, the better it gets. Thank you, Fella!
  • As a pre-teen at a Saturday matinee I enjoyed this Jerry Lewis movie but watching it as an adult I realize it could have been much better. Jerry used Anna Maria Alberghetti as a mere character actress as the princess failing to use her talents to full potential making this a bit more of a musical comedy. In spite of a great cast Jerry could have produced something greater than a grade-B comedy more in a class with some of his better movies. Missed opportunities indeed!
    "Cinderfella" was Jerry Lewis attempt to re-tell the Cinderella story. It does have its moments, but overall it fails. It follows the traditional story more or less with mixed results.

Lewis plays Fella (Couldn't they have come up with a better name?) who's father instructed as part of his will that his wife care for his son Fella. Of course the wife becomes the Wicked Stepmother (Judith Anderson) who has two equally wicked sons, Maximilian (Henry Silva) and Rupert (Robert Hutton). The three treat the hapless Fella unfairly saddling him with all of the chores around the palatial estate in which they live. They believe that Fella knows the whereabouts of a large fortune left to him by his father. They continuously try to discover the location of the fortune.

A Princess (Anna Maria Alberghetti) from a foreign country is coming to visit. Wicked stepmother sees an opportunity for one of her sons to marry the girl and acquire her fortune for themselves. She sets Rupert out to court her. Meanwhile a kindly old gentleman who introduces himself to Fella as his Fairy Godfather (Ed Wynn) promises him that all will be well and he will indeed meet the beautiful princess whom he covets.

A ball is held in the Princess' honor. Fella has been transformed (off screen - Why?) into a cool dude who sweeps the Princess off of her feet. But at the stroke of midnight.................................................................

Lewis tries to play the pathos card throughout the film and you do feel sorry for him at times. He has plenty of time for his usual tomfoolery and a couple of forgettable songs. Lewis shows why Dean Martin did most of the singing during their partnership. His entrance at the ball foreshadows a similar scene in "The Nutty Professor" a couple of years down the road.

Judith Anderson makes a perfect Wicked Stepmother. She played many sinister characters over the course of her distinguished career. Henry Silva looks like a gangster and Robert Hutton is the fun loving playboy. The legendary Ed Wynn is a perfect Fairy Godfather although I still can't figure out why they gave him a red nose. Alberghetti is beautiful here but I still can't figure out why she didn't do better in movies.

The sequence where the boys take Fella out to play polo and golf among other things falls flat because you don't actually see Fella play any of the sports. This could have provided many much needed humorous situations at this point.

The ending is kind of corny.
    Look I really thought Jerry Lee Lewis was pure daft during the film but it's just the storyline was much too over the place! It should've been kept as the traditional Cinderella not over the top comedy film!

I mean the stepmother and his stepbrothers aren't meant to play nice to him! He shouldn't meet the fairy godfather twice until the day of the ball. He even doesn't need to wear fancy clothes at dinnertime since he is a slave not a houseguest type! At the end, he's not meant to run away , he's meant to kiss the princess like! This isn't really a good twist for a film to be honest with ya!They should really have done this better and I say if anyone created a gender bender movie like this, it will be a lot better I'm afraid.
  • bigfoot_606229 February 2007
    I have seen this movie plenty of times and what is bothering me is i don't remember the name of two songs in the movie and would like to know the name of them?.....one song is when Jerry Lewis is at the ball and Count Bassie comes around and is playing Jerrys song....and the other song is when Jerry Lewis is in the kitchen playing the song with his wooden spoons it is fun to watch him think that he is playing that song....I Love this movie and those are the two of the best songs in this movie so if anyone can help me out.....Thank You.....I give this movie a 10 for all the fun the movie gives and it is a very funny movie and i recommend this movie for everyone to see
  • I used to love Jerry Lewis, and Cinderfella was a favourite.

Dean Martin used to get in the way I always thought with a lot of soppy songs!

(I must warn you I also like Police Academy (my partner cant believe this) so have a taste for slapstick.)

But from memory, I used to think Jerry had fantastic timing to a lot of his routines so you were on the edge of your seat while laughing as well.

This has made me think I must get the DVD and have another look at it to see if it is still as magical.
    Neal Hefti wrote a piece called "Cute",Count Basie and his orchestra recorded it and Mr J.Lewis dances to it in the kitchen .That 3 minutes or so of screen time encapsulates the peak of his work in the cinema. It is touching,uplifting and very funny at the same time.In the unlikely event of my being asked to select a clip for a TV tribute I would look no further. The Cinderella story was a natural for Mr Lewis as it contains one of his favourite themes - the eventual triumph of naivety and decency over deceit and cruelty.His character has been compared to an early prototypical Jim Carrey but I would suggest Steve Martin is nearer the mark.There is a canniness about even the most stupid Carrey role that Martin lacks.He is,cinematically speaking,the idiot's idiot,and he is a direct descendant from Jerry Lewis. Right from his early days with Mr D.Martin, he has been hugely popular with the public,something that has counted against him with the critics because it meant they were unable to "discover" and fête him as their own creature.His was not "intellectual" comedy,esoteric,political or socio - satirical,he was just plain funny.It worked for me and millions of others who flocked to his pictures for 20 years.They made a lot of money and everybody was happy.With the rise of Mr W.Allen whose movies were deemed worthy of serious consideration by American critics but relatively few people paid money to see Mr Lewis's star began to descend apart from the occasional ripple like his appearance in what is virtually a show - stealing role in "King of Comedy". In the early 60s with "The Bellboy","Cinderfella" and "It's only money" under his belt he could have been forgiven for feeling just a little bit smug. "Cinderfella" may be low comedy but it is funny comedy.You don't sit there and rack your brains for some deep hidden meaning.You know the shoe is going to fit him,you know he'll end up with the girl in the end,you're just happy to go along for the ride. Miss J.Anderson,Mr H.Silva and Mr R.Hutton are deliciously rather than unpleasantly evil and Mr E.Wynn has a fine old time as the Fairy Godfather. The sound recording is outstanding,the great Count Basie orchestra blasts round the cinema in a very satisfactory manner. At 81,Mr Lewis should care less what the American critics say about him He pioneered the use of TV monitors on movie sets,ended the days of the dreaded boom mike by miking up the whole set at once,he survived the break - up of one of Hollywood's best ever movie partnerships and directed and acted in some of the funniest comedies on celluloid.I think that's enough to be going on with,don't you?
  • Petey-1016 March 2005
    Jerry Lewis is Cinderfella in this movie that is a variation of Cinderella, in this case she being he.He has to put up with Wicked Stepmother (Judith Anderson) and her sons Maximilian (Henry Silva) and Rupert (Robert Hutton).One day Fairy Godfather (Ed Wynn) appears and helps him win the heart of Princess Charming (Anna Maria Alberghetti). I bought this movie one week ago for 2.50 euros.I would have been ready to pay more but they didn't ask for more than that.I'm proud to own this movie. Cinderfella is an extremely funny musical fantasy comedy by Frank Tashlin.Jerry Lewis is being him funny self in the lead.Extremely beautiful Ms Alberghetti doesn't only got the good looks but also the acting skills.In one great scene you get to see Jerry dancing with Anna Maria while Count Basie plays his swinging music in the back.Mr Lewis is quite a dancer.Today this amazing comedian turns 79.He has shown us he's the king of clowns.He's one of the greatest comedians off all time. Lewis can be found from that list with Chaplin and Lloyd and all the other great ones.Jerry has also showed the serious side too.He can go beyond the clown.In this movie he does it occasionally.It doesn't offer only moments of laughter but sadness, too.Cinderfella is a tragic figure when you think about it.He gets kicked in the head by his stepmother and her sons.In one terrific scene Fella sits in one end of the huge table and the rest of the family in the other.All the time they make him come to their end of the table and do some favors.He is in his loneliness dreaming to be something more than he is.Jerry Lewis has said; there is no gap between comedy and tragedy.And that is the truth.
    Perhaps the weakest of the Frank Tashlin/Jerry Lewis collaborations, this rift on the Cinderella story has Lewis as the one-legged step child of nasty Judith Anderson. Anderson, along with playboy sons Henry Silva and Robert Hutton, tries mightily to get "Fella" to reveal the whereabouts of millions his father left him. A visit from princess Anna Maria Alberghetti throws a wrench into the plans. Lewis has a couple of funny gags (squeezing oranges, turning NUTTY PROFESSOR-style into a swinger to woo Alberghetti), but the film is pretty anemic when it comes to real laughs. The inclusion of a couple of forgettable songs adds very little. There is far too little screen time between Lewis & Alberghetti to know if they actually have any chemistry. Ed Wynn is on hand as the Fairy GodFATHER and the Count Basie Orchestra makes an appearance during the ball scene.
  • CINDERFELLA (1960) ** Jerry Lewis, Anna Maria Alberghetti, Judith Anderson, Ed Wynn, Henry Silva, Count Basie and his World Renowned Band featuring Joe Williams. Fairy tale sex-change: Jerry's the Cinderella character in love with a princess and Wynn is the fairy godfather. Some musical bits and the usual Jerry Shtick.
  • He has always been an acquired taste has Jerry Lewis. For many he is a comic genius, to others he's a buffoon who got lucky by playing the idiot. I fall into the former camp, from childhood memories of laughing hysterically, right into middle age where I still find myself chortling away with much of his work, he's an artist who owes me nothing on the entertainment front. But being a devout fan doesn't mean I'm ignorant of his weaker efforts, and he does have many, of which Cinderfella is one of the bottom dwellers.

It's on the premise surface a fresh and interesting spin on the Cinderella story, the sexes are reversed and this is the modern world in setting. However, that's where the freshness ends, for Cinderfella is a stale old offering, ponderously paced by the normally astute Frank Tashlin and the few jokes within fall agonisingly flat. No amount of high energy mugging from Jerry can lift the picture out of its stupor, the songs from Harry Warren & Jack Brooks are weak, while poor Anna Maria Alberghetti (Princess Charmein) is reduced to being nothing but a pretty and well dressed up prop!

Ed Wynn as the Fairy Godfather comes out with credibility still intact, and Count Basie's input into the production is like a ray of sunshine on a darkly bleak winter's day. There's also one great sequence as Lewis goes panto playing various musical instruments, but the irony there is that the best scene in the film has nothing to do with the plot! No, this is not close to being a good Jerry Lewis movie, and those stalwart fans who insist it is are sadly leading the uninitiated down the wrong path. 4/10
  • Yes, I did like this film. Just good around entertainment but not Jerry at his best. Some how the film was a bit of a let down. The support cast somehow just did not work well. The sets seem very dated, and the comedy was very laboured in places. The script was weak, and the film camera effects never really live up to much. I don't know why JL choose this film for a vehicle for himself, it would have been better to have two bothers completing with each other and to play off each other. the love interest never really works well either. Shame. If you are a JL fan, (and U am) than see this film, otherwise, give it a miss. The Nutty Professor is a much better film. Also I loved the Bell Boy, great stuff.