The story of a class of Dartmouth cadets (or "Beatties) which is a rather superior kind of "Carry on Lieutenant Commander" with an outstanding cast of British actors doing what they do best. All but forgotten,"We joined the navy" fits comfortably into the middle - class comedy mould with the odd poignant moment. As one might expect,Mr Kenneth More is as a duck to water in the role of Lt.Cdr. Badger (The Artful Bodger),mentor of these wannabe naval officers.Other Wardroom and Lower Deck roles are filled by all our favourite character actors,those who make us smile as soon as they show their faces.A matter of slight concern is the Bodger's transfer to the U.S. Navy which has no relevance to Mr Winton's novel,but does not detract from the enjoyment of the earlier part of the movie.Not a success at the time of its release despite the talents involved,"We joined the navy" is well made and funny.As a committed admirer of Mr More I endorse this movie as one of the best and least known of his "middle - period" roles. If it ever comes your way in any medium I strongly recommend that you watch it.
  • After this feeble comedy Kenneth More didn't make another film for 2 years.There are a number of theories why this happened.After all other contemporaries managed to maintain their careers for years to come.He must have reached slightly desperation stakes to accept this role.It starts off reasonably amusing whilst the film focuses on the British Navy.However when the script takes him to the American navy.Clearly an attempt to sell the film to American distributors highlighted by the parachuting in of two American actors.The only diversion is seeing so many familiar character actors in small parts.The problem for Kenneth More was that he was a one part actor.So when that part disappeared,so did his career.
  • What an extraordinary cast! Two of the Doctor In The House mob (More and Bogarde), two future Basil Brush sidemen (Fowlds and a blink-and-you'll-miss-him Rodney Bewes), Sergeant Wilson from Dad's Army, Alf Garnett, Captain Beaky, an ex-Goon, Barraclough from Porridge, Slartibartfast, the old bloke from Waiting For God, the even older bloke from Dr Finlay's Casebook, the old woman from The Rag Trade and that mad French-Russian bloke who was in Hellzapoppin and things (Mischa Auer).

Pity the movie's a bit lame. Thurdsday afternoon viewing at its ultimate.
    With Easter coming up,I started looking for movies to watch with my dad over the season. Reading old issues of Empire,I noticed a review for an all-star British Comedy that I've never heard of before!,which led to me joining the navy.

The plot:

Whilst everyone else lies in the navy, Lt. Cmdr. Robert Badger finds himself unable to lie in any situation. Building a bond with some of the crew after he helps them being cleared for misdeeds,Badger finds himself getting on the wrong side with his bosses,who send him overboard to the US navy,who find unexpected uses for Badger's skills.

View on the film:

Bringing the film into shore,Network land with a very good transfer,with the audio being clean and the picture only having a few specs of dirt. Made with the British navy,director Wendy Toye & cinematographer Otto Heller tour the ships in wide shots that show of the high seas location. Stuffing the movie with cameos,Toye does very well at keeping a distance and allowing the viewer to enjoy the moment. Going to sea as a UK/US co-production, Howard Dimsdale adaptation of John Winton's struggles with the market both sides are after,as the happy chappy British Comedy beginning is brushed away for a muddle daring do spy tale,which stops this ship becoming a luxury viewing.
  • Leofwine_draca5 April 2018
    WE JOINED THE NAVY is a British comedy once again centred around naval fun and sailor-based humour. It's much bigger budgeted than the UP THE CREEK films that Hammer made in the late '50s, but it's nowhere near as funny. The story, about young naval recruits getting involved in international hijinks, feels quite bloated and is episodic at best. The jokes come at the expense of the characters but aren't particularly amusing, more tired and familiar. What this film does boast is an extraordinary cast of both reliable old timers (hello, Kenneth More) and amusing newcomers (such as Derek Fowlds and Jeremy Lloyd). It's great watching for the endless cameos, but as a comedy it doesn't particularly make you laugh.