• I think the problem with TV sitcoms these days is that 90% of the them are filmed in front of studio audiences. Save for the cable-TV comedies, adventurous shows like "The Munsters" don't get made today. They went OUTSIDE, they drove around. Everything wasn't confined to the sets, although their house was a doozy and I loved it every time action took place down in Grandpa's basement. What a bunch of great characters these were (with kudos to Al Lewis and--God bless him--Fred Gwynne). Many of the episodes--such as the classic one where Eddie runs amok on a popular ghoul-TV program, "Zombo"--are still very pointed today, and just as funny. Herman's super strength was always good for a colorful sight-gag, Yvonne De Carlo's Lily was the perfect straight-face for Herman's antics. And don't forget that Drag-U-La...what a beauty!
  • Oh, I wish they made shows like The Munsters today. I have many happy memories of watching it. It was so innocent and so amusing. Somebody should release it onto DVD as soon as possible.

The Munsters were the perfect family. They may have been ugly, they may have been weird and they may have been totally eccentric but they loved each other and cared so much about each other.

The Munsters emphasized traits such as loyalty to your family and love (qualities not found in many shows today). But once you get past all that you had many highly amusing stories. One that springs to mind for me is when Herman and Grandpa Munster get locked in a bank vault one night just as a pair of robbers are about to steal the loot.

The one thing I enjoyed about The Munsters was it's total innocence. No bad language, no sex, no violence, just pure entertainment. Oh, it was brilliant. I cannot praise it enough.
  • This show can easily be dismissed as being so stupid it's funny, but there's more to it than just obvious jokes with a laugh track. The cast was fabulous but also talented; many having Hollywood careers or television experience prior to the show. Look at all the reincarnations (sorry) of the show and then compare the cast to the original set. No contest. Also the sets and costumes were really cool, who doesn't like Granpa's dungeon or their telephone "booth" or the Munstermobile? Some of the story lines were hilarious but my person favorite is "A House Divided." The only regret I have is that it didn't go on for one more season, who knows, maybe it would have been in ghoulish color!
  • One of the greatest television shows of all time in My opinion is the Munsters! The show starred legendary actors Fred Gwynne, Yvonne De Carlo, Al Lewis, Beverley Owen, Pat Priest, Butch Patrick, and Mel Blanc! First I will want to commentate about the characters and the actors who played them and then I will talk about why I think this program is one of the best. I am just thrilled about how these actors are in this great series. Fred Gwynne was just incredible. Being a large fellow already was something but becoming Herman Munster he became huge! I was so surprised how agile he was. He had such a charming personality as well. Yvonne De Carlo was already a beautiful woman but I thought that she was so neat as Lily! Her character is one the most beautiful woman character that I haven seen on the screen! Al Lewis' Grandpa is such a hilarious charmer. He is arguably the most talented actor of all time. Beverley Owen and Pat Priest both gave the Marilyn character great personality. My favorite is Owen's Marilyn. Butch Patrick's Eddie was good a very good personality as well. Mel Blanc's raven was cute! The other animal characters such as Kitty and Spot were also cute. I loved the guest stars that appeared in the shows. The sets such as the Munsters' house and such all looked realistic. I loved the spookiness of the series and how it was like Halloween all the time! In My opinion each and every episode was great and funny. The theme music by Jack Marshall was also very good. I think that this series is just wonderful and that in My opinion its arguably the greatest one ever. If you can watch this show on TV strongly I recommend it and I also strongly recommend that you head over to Amazon.com and purchase the First Complete Season of The Munsters on DVD! I strongly recommend The Munsters!
  • Although I liked the Addams Family quite a bit, the Munsters were it for me. Let's face it, grandpa make the show: without him a lot of the flavor would have been lost. I felt that he should have been on much more than he was. Marilyn, on the other hand, could have completely disappeared and I would never have noticed. Of course, the entire cast was great, the jokes were side splittingly corny, and the atmosphere of the house was nice and spooky.
  • I'll say that "The Addams Family" was actually cleverer, but still, "The Munsters" definitely had its merits. Basically the story of a household in which the father, Herman (Fred Gwynne), is Frankenstein's monster, the mother, Lily (Yvonne DeCarlo), is a vampire, the son, Eddie (Butch Patrick), is a werewolf, the grandfather (Al Lewis) is Count Dracula, and the niece, Marilyn (played by two different people), is the ugly (make that "pretty") duckling in the family. While the Munsters' everyday routine is the same as everyone else's, everything that's normal to them (e.g., a house that looks like a Halloween party should be held there) is weird to the rest of the world, and vice versa. Every human who sees them freaks out, and yet the Munsters can never figure out why everyone finds them strange.

It's completely silly, with a string of gruesome, sardonic jokes, but it's always really funny. Truly one show that you gotta admire.
  • The simultaneous runs of Munsters and Addams Family doomed both to two-season lifespans. Much of the audience became polarized. Munsters fans would not watch Addams Family and vice versa, but if either show had been on without the other it would have attracted almost the full audience of the other.

Either could have become a major, long-running classic. Addams Family had the better chance, being a comedy/social commentary of the type that later became the major hits, All in the Family and The Simpsons. But Munsters also could also have had its seasons in the sun. After scrapping the ill-conceived and twice miscast role of Marilyn, the enormous talent and charisma of Fred Gwynne and his chemistry with Al Lewis (good friends off-camera, too) could have carried that show for many years.
  • My all-time favorite sitcoms would start with The Honeymooners and find room for (in no particular order): Seinfeld, Cheers, Taxi, Beverly Hillbillies, Dick Van Dyke, and The Munsters would be in the mix.

Superb writing (it worked as a young kid and it still works for me today), amusing plots, great family dynamics and a terrific, multi-faceted performance by the late, great Fred Gwynne. Hwerman Munster was at once truly monstrous in size and appearance, yet vain, vulnerable, goofy and baby-ish. Just a wonderful, lovable character who was well assisted by Lily and Grandpa. Eddie was okay, and Marilyn superfluous, and the occasional guest characters were almost always very good. Great fun that stands up beautifully about 40 years later --I'm getting old1
  • Andy B-85 November 1999
    Being only 27 years old I was not around when this series was actually being made but I remember watching this series in the eighties when I was around 9-12 years old. I remember enjoying every minute of it.

The catchy theme tune, the spooky house, the dinosaur under the stairs, Grandpa's experiments and the brilliant central performance from Fred Gwynne all added up to a terrific half hour comedy.

Watching it ten years on it seems a little more cheesy than I first remember it to be - but it is one of those shows I will always fondly remember.
  • poe42629 December 2012
    As far as I'm concerned, THE MUNSTERS featured the quintessential American family: eccentric, perhaps, but quintessentially American. That they all looked like they'd just stepped straight out of a classic Universal horror movie (with the notable exception of Marilyn, who actually turned out to be a shape-shifter of sorts...) only added to their many charms. Though the level-headed head of the household, Herman was often just a great big kid at heart, with an infectious laugh and boyish charm; Lily Munster, if not THE sexiest woman to ever ramrod a telefamily, was certainly Number Two- and I never laid eyes on Number One; and Grandpa was that iconic family elder who dispensed the Wisdom of the Ages with a mad cackle and an abra cadabra. Eddie was lucky, indeed, to have been surrounded by such a loving family unit. Santa Claws dropped off THE MUNSTERS: A TRIP DOWN MOCKINGBIRD LANE by Stephen Cox just a few days ago, and I've been immersing myself in all things Munster ever since. None of the subsequent attempts to revive the show ever came close to the charm of the original (the MOCKINGBIRD LANE debacle of just a month or so ago has to be by far the worst of the worst); but, as long as Home Video exists, THE MUNSTERS will live on (and on, and on).
  • Credit where credit is due: Fred Gwynne, Yvonne De Carlo and Al Lewis are what keep you coming back to the Munsters. Yes, the look of the show (Universal Horror all the way) is great, the writing often clever, the numerous sight gags usually entertaining. But if you didn't have good (very good) acting from the leads this show would have tanked.

Boiled down, the Munsters is a typical family sitcom in a bizarre setting. And while most of the episodes are fun, if feather-light, it didn't take long until the first clunker (#14: Grandpa Leaves Home). And that wasn't the last one but, thankfully, it's in the minority. The reason, again, is that Herman, Lily and Grandpa (along with the kids and numerous guest star appearances) are, frankly, endearing. You become so fond of them that some episodes actually become touching (Happy 100th Anniversary).

Only 70 episodes but that was about the limit of what you could crank out without it becoming painful. Too many sitcoms run on past their welcome. This one managed not to.
  • "The Munsters" was filmed at the Universal-Hollywood lot, where the original monster movies of the 30's and 40's featuring Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, Wolfman etc,were made. By the 1960's it was felt these creations(makeup copyright still owned by the studio)were ripe for spoofing(well they had actually already been in comedy films with Abbott and Costello a few years earlier)."The Munsters" could have been terrible-its easy to get this sort of thing all wrong, witness the appalling 80's remake "The Munster's today"; but this series works beautifully.It's not the scripts-though there are some great lines,they are often not especially outstanding. What makes the show so good is the cast, particularly Fred Gwynne as scary, hopeless, lovable Herman-what a performance he gave! Despite all the makeup he can do wonderful things with his face,and that gentle cultured voice coming out of the monstrous Herman-taking any line-often a very ordinary one, and making it totally hilarious. Herman, with his easily punctured vanity, childish tantrums and booming laugh, is one of the great comic creations. A word of appreciation too for Al Lewis, the vampire Grandpa, whose mad scientist Count comes over like a third rate vaudeville magician from New York (he even works as a stage magician in one episode!),and who enjoys nothing more than insulting his clueless son in law, Herman. The rest of the cast are fine, though Yvonne DeCarlo as Lily was given little else to do but be shrewish with Herman as the series went on. Another fortunate thing was that in the mid 60's,when the show was made, there were many marvelous character actor/comedians in Hollywood, and lots appear on the show, such as Frank Gorshin, Neil Hamilton, Jessie White, John Hoyt, Louis Nye(his TV horror host character, "Zombo", is actually scarier than any of the Munsters)and best of all Paul Lynde, who shows up twice as the Munster family doctor,and has some classic comedy moments with Herman. One of many highlights is Herman doing a cod "Ginsberg" style poem in front of an admiring beatnik audience in "Far out Munster". A treat, a show which should live forever.
  • Come on down to the spooky-looking mansion at 1313 Mockingbird Lane and join The Munsters, a happy family of friendly "monsters", who (consider themselves "normal") manage to get themselves into all sorts of silly, hair-raising situations that have the folks in town running away in fright.

This goofy, yet, fun and good-natured TV Sit-Com from the mid-1960s is enjoyable entertainment for all ages.

The crazy antics of Fred Gwynne, as Herman Munster, and Al Lewis, as Grandpa, are the highlight of the show.

Filmed in black and white - I really liked this show's spooky, up-tempo theme music.
  • What a wonderful series! I remember it was broadcast on Austrian television in the 80's in English with German subtitles. There's no way you can translate Grandpa's Brooklyn accent into German, or any other language. ("I wus down in the laab today..." or "Hoiman" instead of "Herman"). Fred Gwynne, Yvonne DeCarlo and Al Lewis are no longer with us. I hope the series lives on, worldwide, but please only in the original language. There was a later series that used the same story line but different actors and actresses, broadcast in Germany and Austria and dubbed in German. It flopped. This was one of the great moments in American television.
  • "The Munsters" isn't quite as good as its contemporary, "The Addams Family," but it's still a great show-- just very different.

In fact, the Munster/Addams comparison, I've come to realize, is totally unfair. As "AF" cast member Lisa Loring said on a DVD commentary, "the Addams Family is more like the Marx Brothers and the Munsters were like the 3 Stooges." That's a great way to sum it up. The humor on "The Munsters" is more in rimshot-oriented jokes ("Have you heard of our family doctor back in Germany? Dr. Frankenstein? He made me what I am today") and the bumbling goofiness of Herman. Lily is also a far more independent and formidable wife than Morticia, who's not afraid to bend Herman to her will, and she's played so perfectly by the late, great Yvonne de Carlo. Al Lewis is terrific as Grandpa, and Butch Patrick is probably the most grown-up of them all, the 1960s equivalent of Tommy Solomon in attitude and appearance. And the various Marilyns are interesting as well.

However, a lot of the jokes on this show can be very corny and predictable, and it was starting to stagnate a little after the end of the first season. But it's still a very memorable show worth watching and laughing at.
  • "THE MUNSTERS," in my opinion, is a must-see CBS hit! Despite the fact that I've never seen every episode, I still enjoyed it. It's hard to say which one is my favorite. Also, I really loved the theme song. If you ask me, even though I liked everyone, it would have been nice if everyone had stayed on the show throughout its entire run. Everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the costumes were well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, even though it can be seen on TV Land now, I strongly recommend you catch it just in case it goes off the air for good.
  • I was almost 11 when both "The Munsters" and "Addams Family" had their debut in 1964. To put these shows in perspective is to realize that this year marks the beginning of an era of non-conformity and social turbulence. "The Munsters" was about a family that always thought of itself as "normal" and average middle class, but was shunned and feared by not only their neighbors, but just about everyone they came in contact with, because of their non-conformity. "Addams Family" was fun too, but this non-conformist family was wealthy, eccentric and felt they were better than their neighbors. I always favored "The Munsters" for its slapstick play between Herman and Grampa, its broken-down haunted house look, their "ugly ducking" niece, Marilyn, Grandpa's bumbling spells and their fabulous dragster, among other things. The shows were always well-written and I still laugh at the double-meanings used during their jokes. One of my favorite episodes is "Autumn Croakus", where Grampa's mail-order bride, the Black Widow, asks Lily if they have any other relatives living there. Lily: "No, they're all dead." Black Widow: "Oh, that's a shame. They're all deceased?" Lily (poker-faced):"No, just dead." When the Black Widow is captured by the police after fleeing when she meets Herman, the police talk to Marilyn. Policeman (laughing): "She believes you have a monster in your house..." Marilyn (incredulous): "Monster? There's nobody in that house but my family!" When Herman accidently gets into the Black Widow's bed and they both wake up, staring at each other, Herman's hysterical screaming, along with the lady's, is hilarious. In "Love Locked Out", as Lily fumes when Herman stays out late at an office party, the smart-alecky raven in the clock gives the time, "It's midnight...and the bum's not home yet!!!" If "The Munsters" ever becomes available on DVD, I will be one of the first to order it.
  • What makes THE MUNSTERS a true TV classic is, of course, the brilliant character comedy of the late Fred Gwynne. But there's another shining quality which maybe you have to think twice about: it's really quite a fine-LOOKING show! The black and white cinematography, the direction, and the overall "physical production" are usually Grade A Movie quality.
    Fred Gwyn did some amazing dramatic work. Most today only remember him as the judge in My Cousin Vinny. It's sad that many know him from this awful, unfunny, hackneyed series. Imagine being remembered for bad makeup making bad jokes as a 10th rate Frankenstein imitation.

Yvonne DeCarlo also played some great dramatic roles, was a lovely leading lady opposite Rock Hudson and others. Here she's made into an awful Vampira knockoff.

It was a blatant attempt to imitate the far superior and actually funny Addams Family. "How can we cash in the Addams? Let's make a family where Frankenstein's the father and Dracula's the mother. Wolfkid instead of Wolfman."

A 10 year old could have come up with a better show, and 10 year olds and younger were the only ones to briefly watch it. There was zero laughs for the entire short run of this piece of junk. Never has a show needed a laugh track more.

Addams Family has two great film remakes. No one will ever remake this. No one, not even the ones who made this series, thinks highly of it. The high reviews come from those seeing with nostalgia colored glasses.
  • myneesh22 December 2017
    All the characters are great especially Grandpa! All the characters are great especially Grandpa!
    The prime series from 1960's lore along with The Adams Family both arrived at the same time. What is amazing is that as CBS and ABC battled for ratings, this one turned out so well. There are times where Gomez Adams (John Austin) is too pretentious. Herman Munster (Fred Gwynn) is just the right kind of oblivious.

Fred is so much more lovable because of his experience on Car 54 Where Are You? as the straight man for one Gunther Tooty (Joe E. Ross). Fred brought fans from that show over here and showed he could dead pan humor even better than he did at times with Ross.

Yvonne De Carlo was an amazing talent doing everything from blockbuster Hollywood films to this. Even though she is in her 40's on this series she is still quite a dish and her interactions with Fred are a lot of fun. I can still hear her saying "Now Herman.."

Al Lewis is the ultimate Grandpa. Actually a year younger than Yvonne De Carlo and 3 years older than Fred, it is easy to buy him as being much older than the others. That is because he is a great actor. Long after this show he would run for Governor of New York State. He was a seriously popular candidate. Here he is a lot of fun.

Butch Patrick and Pat Priest/Beverley Owen were the kids, and got a lot of experience from working with these veteran actors in the cast. The guest stars read like a who's who of TV actors from the 1960's and 1940's and 1950's films.

This series along with The Adams have become a couple of TV's cult classics. There is no wonder why, they were the first ones to come along and exploit the horror comedy genre on TV. They bridged the monster movies of the 1930's to 1960's and then kept the genre alive for a movie revival after they went off.
  • When I was a kid The Munsters was a big favourite, and at 19 it still is. The costumes, sets and photography still look great after all these years, and the music is more than memorable. The humour is perhaps broader than a 60s series like The Addams Family(also a classic) but goodness isn't the humour hilarious too? The lines are sharp and the slapstick uproarious. And it really helps that (at least to me that is) the laughter track is never inappropriate or annoying. The stories are always well-paced and entertaining, Grandpa's experiments are worth the viewing alone and the characters are so lovable and genuinely for each other as a family, my personal favourite is Eddie. The acting is spot on, Al Lewis, Fred Gwynne, Yvonne DeCarlo and Butch Patrick are just perfect. Overall, another TV classic of the 60s. 10/10 Bethany Cox
  • If you liked the Addams Family, this sitcom is to die for!! A very clever idea of turning Universal's famous monsters into, funny, friendly, lovable family members. You had the father and head of the household Herman Munster, who bears a very strong resemblance to Frankenstien's monster, Lily Munster his vampire wife, who is a cross between the bride of Frankenstien (with the white streak in her crazy length hair) and Lilith who was from the Universal film Dracula's daughter. Thirdly there was Grandpa, who was Count Dracula in his old age and who was Lily's father, Eddie Munster, the son of Lily and Herman and who looked rather like a cross between a wolf and a vampire. Finally there was Lily and Herman's niece, Marylin, who was blonde, blue-eyed and beautiful. However she was considered by the other ghoulish family members as been the ugly duckling - they actually felt sorry for her!! Excellent episode plots, brilliant unique characters - you've never seen monsters so cute and cuddly.

Along with these memorable family members you get to meet other famous universal monsters such as the creature from the black lagoon, in the form of uncle Gilbert and Lily's brother who is a wolf-man.

Some of the plots are similar to the Addams Family and others evolve around certain characters like Herman or Grandpa. Unlike the Addams Family, this family is a real typical suburban clan, it's just respectable ordinary, decent people who wouldn't harm a fly, unfortunate for them however that their appearance doesn't make their lives easy for the neighbours and people they bump into. The chemistry between Herman and his father-in-law Grandpa is wonderful to see! There is so much more to say about this sitcom, but i think you would be better to see for yourself.

An excellent comedy!!!
  • my all time favourite tv show, is still as fresh to me as it was when i first viewed all those many years ago. made up by a great cast and lots of great in jokes to the classic universal horror films.

now all i need is for it to get a DVD release and i will be a very happy munster's fan
  • Created by the same team that produced "Leave It To Beaver",and "McHale's Navy"(the created team of Allan Burns and Chris Hayward along with Norm Libermann and Edward Haas),the situation comedy series "The Munsters" premiered on CBS-TV from September 24, 1964 until the final episode of the series on May 12, 1966. A total of 70 episodes were produced,which were intended to be done in color were produced and filmed in classic black and white. Only actors Fred Gwynne, Al Lewis, Yvonne DeCarlo and Butch Patrick were the only cast members that stayed throughout its entire two-year-run. In fact "The Munsters" premiered the following week after the debut of "The Addams Family"(which was over at ABC). "The Munsters" did quite well in its first season,but by the second season the ratings were declined due to the competition of not only NBC's "Daniel Boone",but also the it took a fierce beating in the ratings opposite ABC's top-rated show "Batman" which was on the same time slot and was in color.

Who can forget the show's theme tune(from Jack Marshall who also produced the theme for Henry Fonda's TV show "The Deputy",and numerous other shows as well),and that opening sequence of that spooky haunted house on Mockingbird Lane. What made that show a huge success was the comedic timing of Fred Gwynne as the reliable and sometimes unpredictable Herman Munster. Also how can I forget the Grandpa with those experiments under the house and he was always conjuring up something down there who most of the time was a vampire who hanged upside down a lot,and the family pet Spot(who was a fire breathing dragon who lived under the stairs),and the wife Lily who was played by the lovely Yvonne DeCarlo,and the son Eddie who was a werewolf played by Butch Patrick,and their daughter Marilyn(who was played by two different actresses: Pat Priest in Season One and Beverly Owen in Season Two). This show was side-splitting hilarious at every turn never knowing who may show up at the Munster's house,or the other way around which was extremely funny for a family of ghouls who were ordinary but in a weirdly sort of way just to see Herman Munster and even Grandpa get into one hilarious mischief situation right after the other.However the show ran for two seasons on CBS before the rest of the cast made the jump from the tube to the screen in "Munster Go Home!" (1966)that Universal Pictures released around October of 1966 where TV's first family of ghouls got the full Technicolor treatment after more than two years on the black and white television screen.