• Absolutely enchanting live-television broadcast of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical play, with Lesley Ann Warren letter-perfect as the girl who sleeps among the ashes, taunted by her step-family until the night her fairy godmother comes to help her. Having seen this on network television as a rerun sometime in 1969/1970, I couldn't wait to see this again but feared it would be outdated and corny. It certainly isn't. Although not extravagant or technically-smooth, "Cinderella" connects with the viewer on a purely emotional basis, and that's its key charm. Stuart Damon is a gentle prince, Walter Pigeon and Ginger Rogers (!) are fine as the King and Queen, Celeste Holm is sweet as the good fairy. The songs are incredibly lilting and...well, NICE. What a treat for young and old alike!
  • No other version of CINDERELLA will ever come close to the magical conception presented to America in 1965.

Reasons:

The Tunes: timeless, perfect, memorable, stuck-in-my-mind, forever in my heart, Rodgers and Hammerstein's most catchy words and music - bar none...

The Actors: from the tender innocence of Leslie Ann Warren to the giddily comical Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick, terrifically snide Jo Van Fleet, regal Ginger Rogers and Walter Pidgeon, handsome Stuart Damon,

The Story: simply told, tenderly and dramatically unfolded,

The Production: effectively suggests the magic by its otherworldly sets (no matter the changes in television and special effects that came much later in film history),

Forever an important part of growing up, still in my heart, my sister's heart and my dear parents' hearts...we often still sit down and watch...enjoying ever second together as if it were 1965, all over again.
  • phillindholm23 August 2005
    Famed composers Richard Rodgers And Oscar Hammerstein wrote "Cinderella" as an original television musical (their only one) for young star-in-the-making Julie Andrews. Supported by a cast which included Edie Adams, Howard Lindsay, Dorothy Stickney, Ilka Chase, Kay Ballard, Alice Ghostley and Jon Cypher, it received a tremendous publicity campaign and aired on March 31 1957. At the time, it drew a record number of viewers, although only the East Coast saw the live color broadcast (the rest of the country saw a black-and-white kinescope.) And, due in part to the poor quality of the kinescope, it was not repeated again until 2004.

Meanwhile, in 1964, Rodgers decided to mount a new production himself (Hammerstein had since died) with a new cast and adaptation, replacing the farcial quality of the original with a more traditional version. The result was another ratings smash, and as intended, a television perennial which was repeated for years. This time, the title role was played by young Lesley Ann Warren, who was introduced in this production and began a career which is still going strong today. Stuart Damon (later to gain fame on "General Hospital") played the prince. The supporting cast had Academy Award-winners Celeste Holm, as the fairy godmother, Jo Van Fleet as the stepmother, and Ginger Rogers as the queen. The beloved Walter Pigeon was cast as the king. And, as the two stepsisters Prunella and Esmerelda, were Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick. Although the story stuck to the familiar fairy tale this time, the original songs were , of course, retained.

What more can be said for this near-perfect treasure? Ms. Warren is simply glorious as Cinderella, her fresh beauty complimented by her sweet singing voice, and Damon is her ideal Prince (Christopher) Charming. Celeste Holm sparkles as the fairy godmother, and she and Warren share one of the best numbers "Impossible/It's Possible". Van Fleet is a beautifully caustic stepmother, and both Carroll and Ruick are outstanding as the step-sisters. Unfortunately, both Rogers and Pigeon have little to do as the king and queen, but they ARE regal in their roles.

There are a couple of drawbacks--although critics at the time praised the "lavish production"; in reality it is done in the manner of a stage show, with sparse (and very basic) settings, and typical television camera-work. But the biggest error was using videotape instead of film for this production. Because of it's limitations, videotape does no justice to a show like this, severely limiting the visual values needed to compliment the other elements. It may be fine for situation comedies, but it was totally wrong for a musical fantasy. It must be admitted, however, that after a few minutes, one gets used to it, but what a difference film would have made! Because this version is the traditional one, it is my favorite of the two, but both are so different in approach and treatment, that each can be enjoyed on their own terms.

Two cast members of the 1965 version were already professionally acquainted with "Cinderella". Walter Pigeon provided the uncredited narration for the 1955 MGM film adaptation "The Glass Slipper" and Barbara Ruick was the daughter of character actress Lurene Tuttle, who played "Cousin Loulou" in the same movie. Another winner, that version featured Leslie Caron as Cinderella.
  • I grew up watching this 1966 version of the Broadway musical Cinderella, which was shown on an annual basis for several years after its initial premiere. This musical version of the classic fairy tale features some wonderful songs by Rodgers and Hammerstein and originally premiered on Broadway with Julie Andrews in the title role. Lesley Ann Warren plays the role here and 40 years later, no matter what else she does, Lesley Ann Warren will always, first and foremost, be Cinderella to me. She is utterly enchanting in the role and her rendition of "In My Own Little Corner" is charming. Celeste Holm made a delightful fairy godmother, Walter Piedgon and Ginger Rogers added a touch of class as the king and queen, and Stuart Damon made a handsome and elegant Prince Charming. Jo Van Fleet was a memorable evil stepmother and Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick score as the stepsisters and they stop the show with "Stepsisters' Lament", one of musical comedy's funniest songs. Well mounted with lavish sets and breathtaking costumes, Cinderella, like THE WIZARD OF OZ, should continue to be shown on an annual basis in order to renew our faith in miracles, love, and fantasies coming true. If this show is not available on DVD, it should be. A winner for children of all ages.
  • I was six years old when CBS premiered this updated version of the musical written for television. Rodgers and Hammerstein penned "Cinderella" in the Fifties, and Julie Andrews was cast in the lead role. I have been lucky enough to see a clip of her performing one of the songs on "The Ed Sullivan Show," and consider her unsuited for the role; even back then, her voice had a maturity that was unnatural for the character of a young girl.

But Lesley Ann Warren.... Let's say I fell in love that night, and have had a crush on Lesley Ann ever since, even after I've been married for eight years. (Grin) However, having seen this version any number of times now, I think I can give a more objective opinion.

Music: Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II supplied the score; need we say more? This show turned me on to R&S. In particular, "Ten Minutes Ago," "Impossible," and the instrumental waltz at the ball (where Warren and Stuart Damon have their first dance) are incredible.

Cast: Excellent all the way. More objectively than above, Lesley Ann Warren as the young innocent who wins true love was inspired; while her voice is a little undeveloped at this age, it lends a certain charm to the performance. Her dancing was excellent across the board; not surprising, since she was trained as a ballet dancer before taking this part.

Stuart Damon was also excellent as the Prince (unnamed in the production). Far more handsome in 1965 (logically!), he was wonderful as the romantic young here, returned from adventures, but without a wife to carry on the dynasty. An excellent singing voice, and he used it on some wonderful songs.

The others of the cast were, in short, generally great. Walter Pidgeon and Ginger Rogers were wonderfully witty with each other; Jo Van Fleet, Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick as the stepmother and stepsisters were characters you love to hate; and Celeste Holm was an excellent, sympathetic fairy godmother.

Costumes: Cinderella in her ball gown was the main reason I fell in love with Lesley Ann! In that floaty gown, with her hair pulled up and a long Hepburn swan's neck, she was the picture of beauty to a six-year-old boy. Still is....

Production: This may let people down today if they rent or buy the videotape (Hallmark Entertainment). Logically enough, the state of the art had advanced in 35 years, and the jaded viewer of today may not accept the simple camera cuts and video dissolves of 1965. Ride with the boat; you'll still enjoy if you give it a chance.

Highly recommended, both to the student/historian of television and to the simple viewer. My 5-year-old daughter enjoys this tape immensely, and she's a child of the modern effects world!
  • I was only about 6 years old, and back in the 60's, there weren't too many movies on television for children. I remember sitting in front of the small television on the floor mesmerized. The movie was a fantasy come to life! I have been looking for the movie for decades. Everytime I see a Cinderella movie, I check it to see if it is the one that I have been searching for these past 40 years. I have finally found it, and I can assure you, it is just as mesmerizing today, as it was back when I was just 6 years old. For a true fantasy, you can't find a better Cinderella than Lesley Ann Warren!
  • I was nine years old in 1965, and I fell head-over-heels in love with Lesley Ann Warren when I saw this film. I haven't seen it since the late '60s or so, but I still remember the songs and the overall feel of this classic (from a nine-year-old's point of view, of course). That just goes to show what a powerful effect a film can have when everything is done just right. One of these days I'll find this and watch again. Until then, I still have my memories.
  • This version of Cinderella as well as the 1997 version rank far above the 1950 Disney version of the film. The Prince has character, class, and a reason to fall in love with and find Cinderella, not just dance a dance at the Ball. Stuart Damon's voice is clear and unmatched in "The Loniness of Evening", mostly because other versions do not include this lovely song of romance and dreaming of true love. Leslie Ann Warren gives just the right amount of innocence and deception as she truly wins her prince, yet knows how to survive in the home of her step mother. Granted the production values are not up to par, but in 1964 they were state of the art. Unfortunately CBS stopped showing this wonderful story in the mid 70's and has never rebroadcast it since. However, the Disney Channel has broadcast it and of course it was redone by Disney 1997. This still proves that Rodgers and Hammerstein still are as fresh today as they were 40 years ago when they first penned this score.
  • This excellent version of Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella is a class act. This is a far better version than the 1957 original television production which was awful.

Lesley Ann Warren and Stuart Damon are just wonderful and elegant as Cinderella and her prince respectively. Their voices ring true to happiness.

Jo Van Fleet again proves her adeptness at being a difficult mother. This time, she does it in a comedic way. Her scene with the prince at the ball is a riot. Looking at herself in the mirror, she knows what she is.

Celeste Holm should be everyone's fairy god-mother. She has always been a voice for toleration from her scenes in "Gentleman's Agreement," and she shows it again in this fine production.

Get to your video stores and have the kiddies see this wonderful movie. They'll yell for more.
  • I first saw this film when I was in boarding school. It was so magical for me that I recall skipping back to the dorm room, actually wanting to be Cinderella.

Careful what you wish for - because in many ways, I went on to become a Cinderella of sorts. Instead of a wicked stepmother, I had a stepfather for whom I basically became a house maiden. Not so much because he asked for it, but it became a necessity, among other reasons. Truth is, when you treat a kid like they're unwelcome in their own home, they may resort to serving people - just to try to win them over. But that's another story (that I'm actually writing).

Back to the movie. I thought about this film for days and days and days after seeing it. It left that much of an impression upon me. This is also when I fell in love with Leslie Ann Warren's work.

This version of Rodgers & Hammerstein's made-for-TV musical offers more of a realistic setting, if there really is such a thing for a fairy tale. There are no singing mice or other distractions. Just a very pure telling of this popular tale. The songs are all sung with a sense of longing and wonderment.

Leslie Ann Warren is breathtakingly beautiful as the unfortunate heroine, scraping and scrapping for whatever bit of respect she can get, as she toils and toils away for what is supposed to be her family. Celeste Holm is wonderful as the Fairy Godmother and Ginger Rogers' turn as the Queen, along with Walter Pidgeon as the King are spot-on.

This tale of love travels along a much more subtle trajectory. What really makes this version such a definitive Cinderella story is its faithfulness to Perrault's fairy tale. Rather than alter it as was always done in previous versions, we are treated to the most honest rendition of the story. That's just one other reason why this film is so beloved. For me, no other film of this kind from my childhood still brings back such fond feelings, even if the circumstances of my own life tended to mimic the story in so many ways. Thankfully, at least I even had the Prince Charming!
  • I remember the first time I saw this wonderful movie. It was the very first night it was broadcast. I saw it with my parents and my sister and I was 8 years old. I fell in love that night...with the Prince (Stuart Damon), Cinderella (Lesley Ann Warren), and the rest of the cast as well! I saw it everytime it aired...up til the last time! Who knew, when I misbehaved that day and got sent to bed that it was the last time it would air on broadcast tv??

I remembered all the songs, all the costumes. Who cared if the sets looked cheesy? This was the very first movie that ever spoke to me. I have remembered it all my life. And today I finally got to see it again! I just bought the video today - and I've watched it 3 times already tonight! (making up for lost time <grin>)

I would have loved to see the Julie Andrews version...but it was aired the year I was born and never aired again. I did see the Disney 97 version...and I HATED it! Not worth my time! (except maybe for Jason Alexander! <nuther grin>

For pure simple family entertainment this movie tops my list. And it should top everyone else's as well!
  • Out of the Cinderella films I have seen, that includes the timeless Disney film, the delightful Ever After and the overlong but lavish Slipper and the Rose, this 1965 made for TV movie gets my vote as the most overlooked. At merely less than an hour and a half, it is perhaps too short, which is the only real problem I had with it, as I was genuinely enchanted by this. I completely forgive the fact that it is a TV movie, for the production values in consideration are simply fantastic. The scenery is colourful and the costumes lavish, Lesley Ann Warren's dress at the ball was gorgeous.

And then there are the songs and score. In my opinion, Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II are fantastic musical composers, and penned some of the best songs in musical history. Their credits include King and I, State Fair, Oklahoma and Carousel, and the film versions of their musicals range from decent(South Pacific) to outstanding(The Sound of Music). Their contribution here is no exception, the score is just breathtaking, especially Instrumental Waltz. And the songs are stunning, standouts are In My Own Little Corner, Do I love You Because You're Beautiful and Ten Minutes Ago. The others aren't quite as good, but are definitely memorable.

I had little to complain about the performances either, for Lesley Ann Warren is enchanting as Cinderella. I thought she looked sexy in the comedy Clue, but especially in the ballroom scene she is even lovelier here, and I thought she sang very well.Perhaps lacking the angelic quality of Julie Andrews but she seriously wasn't bad, not to the extent that she couldn't sing. Stuart Damon is very dashing and charming as the Prince with a very beautiful baritone voice, and Celeste Holm is splendid as the Fairy Godmother. And while dancing legend Ginger Rogers does well as the queen, there is also scene-stealing support from Barbara Bruick and Pat Caroll(the voice of Ursula in The Little Mermaid) as the stepsisters. And I just want to add that I love the simplicity of the highly romantic story. All in all, very overlooked and I think magical. 9.5/10 Bethany Cox
  • I've only seen the 1965 version of R&H's Cinderella once.

I'm not sure why it's listed as 1965 as I'm sure I saw it in 1964.

In Melbourne, our fourth TV channel was about to launch (the first three commencing in 1956). I can remember the launch of ATV10 vividly. I used to watch the test pattern before it officially went to air. For much of the time they played the 1957 CBS LP of Cinderella because the "new" version was in their first week of programming.

I was 15 at the time and managed to record the music on reel to reel tape. I loved all Rogers and Hammerstein's productions and immediately was attracted to the music and lyrics. And one could argue that because everyone already knew the story of Cinderella the entire production almost worked in one's own mind by simply listening to that soundtrack.

It was musically so well done in the original 1957 version. Several years later I found the LP and couldn't buy it quick enough.

I saw the "1965" version and was totally absorbed with it. Arguably it was the best cast to ever perform it. So many stars who were all well cast. Particularly Barbara Ruick and Celeste Holme.

The only bit I've ever seen of the 1957 production is a B+W clip of Julie Andrews singing "In my own little corner". My God I wish I'd seen it live - in colour. I saw it in the TV special : Rogers and Hammerstein - The Sound of Movies.

I enjoyed the 1999 TV version - but I don't think Brandy was strong enough musically - and frankly I thought she was miscast. I also didn't like some changes to the fundamental rhythyms that R&H created.

I can't understand why the R&H version of Cinderella hasn't become as popular as the story itself. I guess this has something to do with the R&H Organisation. It would be a wonderful show for school children to perform.

The 1957 soundtrack is one of my favourites. And I would love to see the 1965 version again. Maybe it wasn't popular in Australia because I can't recall ATV10 ever screening it again. But R&H were very paternalistic over their shows. Possibly too much.

I think R&H's Cinderella will live forever.

A Lovely Night ... indeed!
    This was such an event when it was first televised in Sydney. There were posters up in the local stores and at the library - it was something to really look forward to and as we all sat around the television in the lounge room it didn't disappoint. Our neighbour had the soundtrack with Julie Andrews on the cover and Dad had just bought a new tape recorder, so everyone soon knew all the songs as well. Even though I know now it was written especially for TV, back then we thought it was from Broadway - not a place you associate with suburban Sydney of the 60s. Rewatching it over 45 years later, with the magic of color (no-one had color TV where I grew up) I relived the magic!! My most vivid memory was watching Lesley Ann Warren rising from her chair and singing "In My Own Little Corner". I agree with other reviewers, Julie Andrews voice seemed a bit too mature and confident to convey the magical wistfulness that, I think, Warren brings to Cinderella. After a couple of decades of whiz bang special effects maybe children watching it today won't be so starry eyed but back then, I believe, it was the latest thing, even the very obvious "cardboard" sets have a fairy tale appeal.

The Prince (Stuart Damon, from "The Champions") is riding around the countryside, looking for his true love ("Loneliness of Evening", apparently written for "South Pacific") when he comes across Cinderella, who does not recognise him but over- comes her shyness and fear to fetch him a drink from the well. Her mean stepmother and ugly stepsisters come home with news of meeting the Prince and Cinderella also has her dreams, which she expresses in the beautiful song "In My Own Little Corner".

The King and Queen (the marvelous Ginger Rogers (who even gets to dance) and Walter Pigeon) are disappointed that their son has not found a bride and decide to give a ball ("The Prince is Giving a Ball"). Cinderella, of course, despairs of ever going to the ball but she doesn't realise her Fairy Godmother (the wonderful Celeste Holm) has other ideas - "Impossible!!! - things are happening every day"!! It's not impossible and Cinderella goes to the ball, even though at midnight the spell will be broken. Jo Van Fleet is a standout as the mean stepmother as are step sisters Pat Carroll (she creaks!!) and Barbara Ruick (she bats her eyes!!). Of course the Prince's heart stops when Cinderella enters the ballroom, she looks just glorious and their song ("Ten Minutes Ago") is sung and danced by moonlight. The stepsisters have something to say (or sing) about that- ("Why Would a Fellow Want a Girl Like Her"). Before she flees, the Prince sings "Do I Love You" and back at the chimney corner Warren gets to sing two lovely songs - "I Suppose" describing her dreams of the ball and the enchanting "Lovely Night". Lesley, who originally trained as a dancer, even gets a chance to pirouette around the courtyard.

Of course there is a happy ending - beautiful Lesley Ann Warren made a perfect Cinderella in her first major role. Her singing is crystal clear and has a poignancy that Julie Andrew's voice lacked. She is as wonderful as I could always remember her as being.

Highly, Highly Recommended.
  • I was also six years old when this charming little gem first aired. My mother and father recognized how mesmerized my sister and I were, and always let us stay up for it each time it came on. And now, thirty five years later, I clearly remember its wonderful, innocent simplicity. Having grown up in the sixties and seventies I can appreciate the lack of special effects films had access to in those days. Acting and cinematography were what made films. Reading the other user comments have helped to stir my memories. Lesley Ann Warren's innocence and grace were enchanting. The title role was perfectly cast. Walter Pidgeon and Ginger Rogers; what a wonderful, regal couple they made. And the young romance of the Prince and Cinderella even made my father weepy!

I probably haven't seen this film since I was ten. But the very lovely memory is still with me.
  • I loved this movie! It was absolutely fantabulous! It was romantic and sweet, and those songs will get stuck in your head forever! I recommend this movie to anyone and everyone, especially families! You can be whatever you want to be!
  • Lesley Ann Warren is Cinderella in this version of the story. Stuart Damon (from General Hospital) is the Prince, and Walter Pidgeon and Ginger Rogers are his parents. the King and Queen. Celeste Holm is the fairy godmother. I love this film. Everything is perfect. But I love The Slipper and the Rose, too. But after seeing this one, the Julie Andrews version may pale in comparison. But of all the actors in it, the one that really steals the show is Jo Ann Fleet as the cruel stepmother. She really gets into character. Pat Carroll as one of the stepsisters is good, too. If you've never seen this, you're missing one of the best Cinderella movies ever. Period.
  • I remember watching this as a little girl and loving it. I held a microphone up to the television to get the music and I would play it over and over again memorizing the lines and lyrics. When it came out on DVD last year I ordered it immediately. I waited until my family was out of the house and watched it over and over singing every word. It is just as I remembered. The sets are simple but that is part of its charm. The acting and singing are wonderful. Leslie Ann and Stuart make a perfect couple. The step sisters are hilarious at the ball. My favorite song is "10 minutes ago" Her gown is beautiful. If you remember seeing this as a child the DVD will not disappoint. Enjoy!
    On March 15 of this year, I stumbled onto this on Youtube. I had not seen it since its original airing in 1965, so long ago that the only thing I remembered from it were the songs Impossible Possible and Ten Minutes Ago. For some reason I cannot explain, I missed the subsequent airings that were shown until 1974, something I now very much regret. To say that I was captivated and enchanted by it is an understatement. There's much more than childhood nostalgia at work here. It affected me in a way that very few movies have. I watched it again the next day, and yet again when I decided to buy the DVD. All the performances of the supporting cast (The stepmother and sisters, the fairy godmother, the king and queen, etc.) are spot on. Stuart Damon's performance is convincing and perfectly done. His prince is handsome, kind, thoughtful, and gentle. His delivery of Ten Minutes Ago and Do I Love You Because, and the expression on his face when he first sees Cinderella at the ball and then later, when he gazes at her after discovering that the slipper fits, makes you truly believe that he really is seeing the realization of "a lover's dream". Richard Rodgers' decision to add the song Loneliness of Evening at the beginning was brilliant. It adds poignancy to the prince's character, making the story as much about his quest for his true love as Cinderella's. What truly raises this to the top rank of romantic movies for me is the performance of Lesley Anne Warren. She was the perfect age for doing this. She has just the right amount of sweet naivety and romantic idealism (Warren was quoted as saying that she truly believed it when she played this role). She's incredibly expressive, sincere, and authentic throughout, helped greatly by those enormous brown doe eyes of hers, eyes that I get lost in. When she appears at the ball she is heartbreakingly beautiful. The look on her face as she looks for and then sees the prince is transcendent, making you believe with all your heart that SHE is seeing the realization of "a lover's dream". Her grace and beauty as she descends the steps and then waltzes with the prince is the stuff of romantic dreams. Their performances of the two songs are heartfelt and oh so romantic. The later scene where she holds a flower to her cheek as she reminisces about that "lovely night" is immensely wistful. In the later scene, where she tearfully offers him water, a lone violin gently plays Ten minutes Ago, and I tear up and ache for their dreams to come true as the prince once again displays his kindness. The scene where he puts on the slipper, and she transforms once again into his dream come true, further elevates this to a romantic level that resonates with me FAR beyond any other version. No other version comes close, not the Julie Andrews version (far too mannered and farcical for my taste), and certainly not the Disney versions, with their silly singing animals and clumsy attempts at remakes and political correctness. I know that this is something I will treasure, hold near and dear to me, and watch many times again for the rest of my life.
  • twanurit15 February 2002
    I saw this this as a kid in 1965 and watched it on television yearly until about 1975. It hasn't aged a bit - a beautiful, lovingly cast, unbeatably scored (by the legendary Rodgers & Hammerstein) production. The famous fairy tale has been re-told innumerable times in film - "Pygmalion", "My Fair lady", "Gigi", "Pretty Woman", "Princess Diaries", many more. Lesley Ann Warren is ideal in the title role, a stunning brown-eyed long-necked brunette, Stuart Damon is a sensitive, extraordinarily handsome Prince Charming. Both have fine singing voices. The supporting cast includes pitch-perfect turns by Jo Van Fleet as the step-mother, Barbara Ruick and Pat Carroll as the step-sisters, Celeste Holm as the Fairy Godmother, Walter Pigeon and Ginger Rogers as the King and Queen. The last sequences may have you in tears. I never saw the black and white 1957 Julie Andrews version but the story cries for color. Skip the mis-matched cast Pop-flavored 1997 remake, a major disappointment. But this one is enchanting and endearing.
  • This film is a treasure. Everything about it is perfect. The cast give amazing performances. Lesley Ann Warren is excellent as Cinderella, as is Stuart Damon as Prince Charming. Celeste Holm is wonderful as the Fairy Godmother. Walter Pigeon and Ginger Rogers are great as the King and Queen. Jo Van Fleet is amazing as the Wicked Stepmother, and Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick are hilarious as the Stepsisters. The songs, including "In My Own Little Corner", "Impossible; It's Possible!", "Ten Minutes Ago", and "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful", are some of Rodgers and Hammerstein's greatest (you can't help but hum them)! The sets and costumes have a beautiful storybook quality to them. This is a film not to miss! Recommended. 10/10
  • Cinderella was definitely one of Rodgers' and Hammersteins' better musicals. Far better than Carousel. Lesley Ann Warren was charming in her breakthrough performance. Also has a cracking soundtrack. Despite the fact that it was a TV movie, Rodgers and Hammersteins' Cinderella was a fun and interesting film.
  • I saw Lesley Ann Warren today in All of It and was reminded again of her as Cinderella which I saw when it was first shown on TV when I was 6. I'm fascinated to see the comments from other viewers who also remember it so vividly and from a similar age.
  • This is a delightful 1960's version of Cinderella tale. The sets are admittedly sparse but in a dreamy and whimsical way - besides, I confess to growing up watching TV specials with these kind of sets so they don't bother me! (In fact, it's kind of fun to imagine the cigar chomping studio hands wheeling Cinderella's coach and fireplace, etc. around, maybe during commercials if this was originally broadcast live, and if it was produced in New York, it's fun to imagine the actors stepping out to go audition for soap operas and Broadway shows on their lunch hour.) What a fun cast! Lesley Ann Warren is delicately lovely as Cinderella from her huge doe eyes, swanlike neck, and pretty voice, and Stuart Damon is perfect as the Prince, both come across as very warm and winsome. I love the stepmother and stepsisters, they are hilarious! The Rogers and Hammerstein songs are memorable, I'm not sure what the titles are but they include Cinderella's song while sitting by the fireside, "in my own little corner, in my own little chair, I can be whatever I want to be", the exciting announcement "the Prince is giving a ball!", the fairy godmother's song about how "Impossible things are happ'ning every day!", the romantic song when Cinderella arrives at the ball, "ten minutes ago I saw you", the jealous stepsisters' song about "why should a fellow want a girl like her", and perhaps best of all, the moving song "do I love you because you're beautiful, or are you beautiful because I love you?" For some reason the scenes where Cinderella meets the Prince by the well and offers him some water are especially touching, you get the feeling that the Prince and Cinderella really love each other, and not just 'because they're beautiful'. In fact, the sparse sets are perfect in that Cinderella is not dreaming of a fancy palace or clothes, she is in love!
  • All of the Disney live action movies that are coming out cannot hold a candle to this live-action version of Cinderella! They seem to be tainted with today's new lifestyle of having to make things scary with a hint of danger, or changing the true stories to make things more relevant to today's society, or changing the main characters- what sex, race, or religion they are. Watching this, I truly felt the way I felt when I was a little girl, sitting on my daddy's knee, watching this, Lil Abner, & the Shelley Duvall live action movies. This is definitely a must-see! Children NEED to see happy, hopeful, innocent movies like this! The world has such darkness, we need to bring our children back to a more innocent time when things were GOOD. Children are our FUTURE! If we can teach them the hopeful, happy stories of the past, maybe there's hope for us yet! The acting was amazing, the singing was lovely, the script and the sets were so colorful, the dresses were just gorgeous! I felt like I was inside the story myself for a while, & this homebound disabled woman needed that! I think we ALL need that... I know people will be resistant because they think it's silly or girly, but back in the day men used to see the princes as dashing and daring and VERY manly! Do I recommend this movie? Wholeheartedly, 10 STARS! PLEASE WATCH THIS MOVIE!