• I always thought "Monster Zero" (along with the one after, "Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster") was a bit underrated in the Godzilla film list. King Ghidrah makes his second appearance, and it is a lot more fun and interesting than his first ("Ghidrah The Three Headed Monster" from 1964).

This definitely isn't the fastest moving Godzilla film, but there are a lot of cool things to look at as the plot goes along slow at times. And the alien invasion/takeover plot is pretty decent if not overly original. The aliens look pretty cool and their hardware is 60's sci-fi retro, you gotta love it.

Nick Adams is pretty decent enough and gives the film a certain flair. It's a shame he had to leave us so soon, as it would have been a blast to have him return in a future Godzilla film.

The special effects are totally mid-60's Godzilla, with all the obvious miniatures being stomped on by the guys in the monster suits. There's one great shot where a doll of an astronaut gets lowered onto Planet X via an open elevator outside the spaceship, and as the doll is lowered to the ground in one lengthy camera shot, you can't help but laugh a little realizing that there was no attempt whatsoever to make that shot look real, or to hide the fact it's so fake with quick silly editing. But that's part of the charm of the early Godzilla films.

I always thought it was odd when, on Planet X underground, as the leader shows the astronauts the screen showing Ghidrah wildly attacking on the surface, that Ghidrah is in essence attacking nothing but rocks and dirt because that's all there is on the planet's surface. And also how Ghidrah flies past that huge painting of a planet in the distance a few times.

Godzilla and Rodan eventually save the Earth and that's what it's all about in a 1965 Godzilla film. Godzilla by this time was definitely all hero protecting his home planet. It's such a shame that unless a movie looks like a silly music video, so many kids won't watch it. Hopefully a lot of parents are introducing their kids to these old Godzilla films via DVD and video, because they sure aren't on TV much anymore.
  • It's one of those Godzilla movies where you fully understand why some fans of the "Zilla" series positively dislike it. The big atomic lizard is only a bit part player here, and when push comes to shove the monster mayhem is in short supply, which considering we also have Ghidorah and Rodan in the mix is for sure a bit of a waste. Yet this is one of the better sequels from Toho's original wave, it quite literally has all the ingredients that made "Zilla" and the off-shoots so iconic.

We are in live action cartoon territory, a sci-fi story of bonkers proportions yet engrossing all the same. The joyous model work synonymous with the series remains intact, the cardboard sets being obliterated are still fun to watch, and the divisive sight of "Zilla" doing the "shay" dance is in here whether you like it or not. More fun, though, is watching "Zilla" boxing the three headed Ghidorah, now that is comedy gold, if only the moody lizard had gone southpaw a bit earlier then saving the world could have been achieved quicker.

Great fun, could have been better from a monster point of view? Yes, definitely, but this be a nutty fruitcake production from Toho and amen to that. 8/10
  • This film was the first Godzilla film that I really remember seeing from beginning to end. I was so taken by it that I forgot to go to the bathroom (I was only five at the time). This film helped to cultivate my love for the kaiju eiga genre. Even though many people have put this film down as being one of the weakest in the Godzilla series, it will always hold a special place in my heart.
  • A lot of 'professional' film critics seem to have an irrational dislike of Godzilla films. True, the special effects in them aren't usually fantastic but they're certainly a lot better than many 60's western dinosaur films which just rely on lizards with fins and spikes blu-tacked to them.

This film, for example, is an excellent piece of sci-fi, imaginative, well-paced and containing genuine characters and interesting monsters. An alien race want to borrow Godzilla and Rodan to stop Ghidorah attacking their home planet, but it soon turns out they are not as friendly as they seem.

One of the best Godzilla films I've seen, a true classic from the golden age of monster movies.
  • This was one of the first Godzilla films I can recall watching on prime-time network television when I was growing up (back then it went under its Americanized title of simply, MONSTER ZERO). Though pretty far-fetched, it's still a highly enjoyable offering in the Toho series and gives us another chance to see Godzilla and Rodan join forces against the popular three-headed King Ghidorah (Monster Zero).

This time the widescreen English dubbed version is an asset, as American actor Nick Adams adds some spice to this one, since it's always fun to hear his nasal Brooklynese voice delivering such entertaining macho lines of gibberish as: "you stinkin' rats! What have you done to her?" Adams plays one of two astronauts sent to the newly discovered "Planet X" where he meets an alien civilization forced to live underground in order to avoid frequent attacks by Ghidorah up on the surface. The leaders ask our heroes to help them obtain the services of Earth monsters Godzilla and Rodan to help them vanquish 'Monster Zero'. But all may not be quite as it seems...

Some fans don't like the fact that the monster battles are kept to a minimum this time, but they're pretty good when they arrive and it's an added kick seeing the desolate looking Planet X in outer space, with its mountains, craters and dark, star-lit skies. The addition of aliens, flying saucers and double-crosses help make this a good time for Godzilla lovers. *** out of ****
  • The other day I found this movie at a nearby video shop by chance. Contrary to my anticipation, I found this movie quite fun. The movie I saw was in Japanese and Nick Adams' voice was dubbed, but his acting was pretty good, though he pulled up his pants a lot.

This brought me good memories of Mr. Adams. As a kid about ten years old at that time, my father (who was the USA representative for Toho and manager of the Toho La Brea Theatre) and I went to the LA airport to see him off. He was going to Japan to take this movie. He was very friendly and relaxed, he was with his wife and his little boy, he looked very happy and energetic. I remember asking him, Mr. Adams, how are fight scenes taken in movies? He replied with a nice big smile and with a fighting gesture, we really fight and punch! Gasshou! meaning I join my palms together for Mr. Adams and for my late father.
  • This film is close to the last of the quality Godzilla films where a budget is evident, and the future of the series became apparent. This film is a sequel to GHIDDORAH: THE THREE HEADED MONSTER and story elements went into the classic, DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. Goji completely went into his Earth defender mode in this story of alien domination against our planet.

This film is a great representation of the series and and Japan's desire and attitude for the times, coupled with our realization that everything is completely impossible. The best way to watch any Godzilla film is to believe that you are watching an alternate universe where all nations are equally powerful and those future dreams of the past did become possible.

For Godzilla fans, there is a lot of love about this film. There are interesting characters and many consider this Nick Adams' best film; which may not be true, but his co-star is BIGGER. For me, it is the images of the two monsters being lifted from the lake and hauled off to Planet X. The battle on the planet is now considered a classic moment too, as Goji does a victory dance(referred to as The Godzilla Shie). Godzilla always seemed to have a personality, but that dance cemented this notion, as he also demonstrates emotions in this story.

The fact that you are reading this review, demonstrates that you may have your own ideas and feelings about this film. This review is for the cinefile who believes in Godzilla and many of the other movies that came from Toho Studios. My recommendation is that you watch DESTROY ALL MONSTERS after this film, and then go play the two Godzilla video games that are now available.
  • Monster Zero,to give this film it's most common name,is another quality Godzilla film coming on the heels of the classic Godzilla Vs Mothra and Ghidorah the 3 Headed Monster. The film is a slight notch down from those two,but still a hugely entertaining movie-inventive,exciting and quite spectacular considering it's comparatively low budget.

The film combines the monster battle plots of the previous films with an alien invasion story a la Battle In Outer Space. The idea of aliens controlling monsters to attack Earth would later be done to death in later series entries. The plot here is quite clever and interesting,although the film is a little slow and only really gets going in the final third,which has one of the best destruction scenes of the series {although spot the tiny bit of footage from the films Rodan and Mothra}. Not enough of the monsters is seen in this film,and the two battles are too brief,despite the priceless sight of Godzilla's victory shuffle.

Nevertheless,there is much to enjoy,including Nick Adam's VERY enthusiastic performance and some of his silly but cool dialogue,some very impressive special effects and visuals {one day people will stop saying the effects in these films are poor},and a rather daring alien/human romance that even includes sex, {although you'll have to listen for the reference}. The US version only had minor cuts and music cue alterations,nothing to ruin the film.
  • Some astronauts(two to be specific...one of which is Nick Adams) leave planet Earth and fly to planet X. Once there, they discover life underground that supposedly lives in fear of King Ghidorah. They ask Earth to send Rodan and Godzilla to their planet to fight Ghidorah. Earth agrees, and the aliens send a tape back with the astronauts after their second voyage that tells Earthlings to submit to the alien will, or King Ghidorah, really their own private monster, will destroy them. This is an interesting film in the Godzilla series that has some pretty good sci-fi elements blended with good ole Godzilla fun. The monsters are what you would expect and the acting is pretty pedestrian as a rule. Adams is an unwelcome addition as his acting ability is somewhat suspect, and he tends to stick out like a sore thumb. Nevertheless, the film zips along at a nice pace. My only major criticism is that the monsters, and in particular Godzilla, have too few scenes. Inshiro Hondo directed this one, and it has many of his distinctive touches.
  • Now here's a good entry to the franchise starring everyone's favorite fire-breathing dinosaur. Godzilla, having terrorized humanity in the past and battled his first few enemies, had just earned his title of being a hero having helped save the earth from his nemesis King Ghidorah (with some help from Mothra and Rodan). This left him open to being marketed more towards kids and it was time to keep the King of the Monsters on a role to being Japan's defender.

Plot: A new planet has been discovered near Jupiter and soon humanity encounters its inhabitants, the Xilians. The Xilians promise to give to humanity a secret formula to cure diseases provided that they let the aliens borrow Godzilla and Rodan to rid their planet of the menacing King Ghidorah. However, not all is as it seems. They tricked the earthlings and using magnetic waves send the three monsters on a rampage to help conquer the planet. Can our scientific heroes find a way to free the monsters and stop the alien menace? Can Godzilla and Rodan's combined strength rid the Earth of King Ghidorah? The fate of the world hangs by a thread.

There's a lot to like about this flick. This is the first time an alien race has been featured in a Godzilla movie and for the most part the Xiliens are pretty interesting. You don't know whether to trust them or not. All the monster/action scenes are great to watch with plenty of destruction, despite being unfortunately kept to a minimum screen time. Godzilla, along with the other monsters, is given a more lively personality, which allows him to express emotions more effectively. Surprisingly, the human characters are pretty likable, with Nick Adams delivering an amusing performance, and they are all more involved with the story. there's a good deal of realism to the science of this flick and the movie itself has a fun and somewhat mysterious atmosphere.

Overall, this is a nice edition to the Godzilla series. It has all that you would like in a sci-fi creature feature plus a little more. Definitely worth a watch, especially if you're a Godzilla fan. All hail the King of the Monsters!
  • Aliens from the mysterious Planet X, which resides on the dark side of of Jupiter, come to Earth asking its people to help them save their world from the dreaded King Ghidrah by letting them "borrow" Godzilla and Rodan. The aliens are actually planning to use the three monsters to take over our planet. As with most of the later Godzilla films, the aliens have something up their sleeves and want to use Godzilla, Rodan and King Ghidorah to take over the world(s). The miniature sets are some of the best . It once again focuses on the humans more than the monsters, even if the human characters lack some of the likability from previous outings. Although there isn't as much fighting as one would like, what fights there are do not disappoint. This movie also introduced the idea of people taking control of monsters and using them for villainous purposes, a plot device that will be re-hashed many times in the Godzilla franchise. The english dubbing is also rather good in this movie when compared to other Godzilla dubs. Another enjoyable Godzilla film
  • NerdBat25 June 2018
    Invasion of Astro-Monster, also called Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, not a bad Godzilla film at all. It gets kinda redundant that this film goes back to back with Ghidrah, the three headed monster, so twice in a row we have Godzilla and Rodan fighting Ghidorah. The only difference is the setting. This also was the only Godzilla film in which two monsters from earth are on another planet, and it also includes the famous Godzilla "dancing scene". The plot is a bit cliche and has been used in various other Godzilla films which were made afterwards, a mysterious race wants to befriend mankind, but in reality they want only to destroy us. Overall it's a neat little film for a Saturday night alone. The plot, at times seems to drag a little, but it's certainly more watchable than some other films I have reviewed.
  • jamesrupert201417 December 2017
    Yes, this is the movie where Godzilla does his little dance of joy, completing his anthropomorphic change from mindless instrument of destruction to sentient hero. The sixth entry into the series also marks a shift from 'horror' to 'science fiction', as "Invasion of Astro-Monster" opens with some nonsensical 'space talk' while a rocketship carrying two astronauts (Glenn and Fuji; Nick Adams and Akira Takarada respectively) travel to a newly discovered moon of Jupitar (christened 'Planet X'), only to find it populated by 'Xians' and besieged by Ghidorah. The Xians offer a cure for cancer in exchange for permission to 'borrow' Rodan and Godzilla, whom they plan to use to eliminate the Ghidorah threat, or so they claim. Suspicious events are occurring on Earth and the astronauts sense that there might be something malignant behind the Xians benign offer. In this film, the now sentient saurian is a full-fledged hero - recruited by the Xians to fight an evil monster and later defending the Earth itself. His original transgressions seems to have been forgiven or forgotten (Fuji, who feels sorry for leaving the Earth monsters on Planet X, comments that Godzilla and Rodan "cause troubles sometimes" - a considerable understatement, considering that, over the years, they have destroyed the cities of Fukuoka, Osaka and Tokyo, presumably at the costs of thousands of lives and billions of Yen). Notwithstanding Godzilla's infamous victory jig after his initial routing of Ghidorah, the film* is not played for laughs as much as was "King Kong vs. Godzilla" but remains a pretty juvenile outing, with a 'good guys vs. bad guys' plot, simplistic characters, an inconsistent (and at times nonsensical) storyline, a silly script, and lots of monster fights. The decline in the series' budget is apparent as most of the brawls are on the desolate Planet X or in unpopulated parts of Japan rather than in the complex (and expensive) city sets that were common in the earlier films and gave some sense of verisimilitude to the inherently unrealistic suit-mated monsters. There are some good parts - I like the spaceships, the alien 'airlift' of the monsters, the almost surreal scenes on Planet X with Jupitar looming in the sky, and as always, Ghidorah makes for an entertaining foe. Overall, very watchable by fans of the genre but pretty much what most non-fans would expect to see if invited to join in: another goofy Japanese monster movie. *This review refers to the subtitled Japanese version; however, as the film was an American-Japanese coproduction (hence American co-star Nick Adams), there is little difference between the subtitled and English dubbed versions.
  • Silly but extremely fun Godzilla movie, co-produced by an American studio (which is why Nick Adams is in this). The plot has two astronauts (Adams and Akira Takarada) traveling to Planet X. The people of that planet tell them that the three-headed monster King Ghidorah has been wrecking Planet X. They propose a trade -- Earth lets them borrow Godzilla and Rodan and, in exchange, they'll give us a miracle drug that will cure all disease. Well the Earthlings happily agree to this and the two monsters are taken away. But it turns out the people of Planet X aren't what they appear to be and now have issued Earth an ultimatum.

This is all just nonsense but very cool. I'll get to the monster stuff but first let me say how much I love the cheesy sci-fi. From the astronaut suits and ship to the Planet X aliens with their stylish sunglasses, hilarious outfits, and cool gadgetry -- it's all so gloriously fanciful and dated. I love it! Now, the selling point of this is naturally big monster fights. Well this one delivers. All three monsters tear crap up before Godzilla and Rodan take on Ghidorah in a wonderful climactic battle. Wait until you see Godzilla boxing and shuffling his feet -- it's priceless! Oh and the best part of the whole movie is when he gives a victory dance. There isn't a word for how awesome that is. Nick Adams' performance is all over the place. For most of the movie he seems like an overgrown Bowery Boy but, late in the film, he decides to overact like he's in Streetcar. Lots of unintentionally funny lines and cheesy moments. It's great escapist entertainment. Probably my favorite Godzilla sequel.
  • Another enjoyable Godzilla film. This time King Ghidra has appeared on a new found planet. The inhabitants ask to borrow Godzilla and Rodan to help them out in return for a cure to cancer. This film encompasses even more of a science-fiction tone. It does does it very well, with some nice interior designs and costumes. It once again focuses on the humans more than the monsters, even if the human characters lack some of the likability from previous outings. The monster fights aren't as impressive, with one of them taking place on a barren planet. A nice change, but no smashy :( Godzilla really begins to embrace his hero role, which makes this less horror. A nice development for the series.
    It's the old, old story: an alien race in Devo sunglasses barters a cure for cancer against the loan of Godzilla and Rodan, the only known proof against King Ghidorah, the scourge of Planet X. This is like kids putting a black widow and a praying mantis into a jar so they'll fight. In the last Ghidorah movie it also took the larval Mothra to defeat the flying three-headed beast, but Toho has a short memory and a shorter budget. Guys who wear vinyl suits and never take off their helmets are usually up to something, but only Nick Adams smells a rat with plans for world domination. His suspicions are confirmed when he sleeps with one of the aliens and she immediately pressures him to get married. This means war.

Philosophically, there's something reassuring about the pre-Gamera rubber monster. It is a corporeal manifestation of our worst, most nebulous fears, and as such it is a comfort. The central fact of a giant monster is its implacability. In the best Toho films, giant monsters tend to want nothing. They don't want to eat us; they aren't sending a message. They're just here, and they're just terrible. Ghidorah makes his entrance in this movie, cruising over a landscape already blasted and inhospitable, by blasting it and making it even less hospitable. No reason; just wanted to destroy something. That's what a rubber monster does. It cannot be appeased. The only personality trait it possesses is anger. It is made of the stuff that governs the universe: it is unadulterated chaos personified. All we can do is stare, and hope that another giant monster knocks this one off its present course.

In fewer than fifteen minutes of actual monster action, nobody gets anywhere near Tokyo, but Rodan whips hurricane winds over a small town while Ghidorah strafes it. There isn't much destruction, but what there is of it is quality miniature work - shingles flying, Buicks rolling through showroom windows, the Mobil Oil offices on fire. Godzilla is more acrobatic than usual, though his suit sags at the joints to accommodate his new athleticism. He employs the Ali shuffle here for the first time, dancing between Ghidorah's death rays, but not for about an hour and a half, and not for long.

Nick Adams wears a Byzantine combover, which from certain angles seems to feature no fewer than five partings, but he was a Toho kids'-movie favorite, probably not least because he gave the Japanese actors a blonde to be taller than. Adams' suicidal rebel image, cultivated after the death of James Dean, played out when he died of a drug overdose three years after his appearance in this film. Maybe he saw doom in the specter of another diminutive blonde on the Japanese rubber monster movie horizon - Richard Jaeckel.
  • Sequel to "Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster" sees mysterious aliens contacting UN astronauts to ask for their help in ridding their world of "Monster Zero"/King Ghidorah, by letting them bring Godzilla & Rodan to their world(Why not Mothra?) Earth complies, but then learns that it was all a ruse to leave the planet undefended, and ripe for conquest. How can the Earth survive this mess? Nick Adams guest stars as an American astronaut leading the fight. Far-fetched but entertaining romp has a colorful plot and lots of action to hold viewer interest. Godzilla & Rodan are portrayed sympathetically here, especially in a poignant scene of them being left behind on the alien planet(not to worry, that doesn't last long!)
  • I saw this movie when I was 8 years old, and I've loved it ever since. One doesn't need to be a child to enjoy Godzilla, but it helps. The playfulness, the cheesyness, and the sheer low-budget destruction combine to make one of the most entertaining films one could ever want.

Now, as a junior at Berkeley, I know I should be above such thrills as any kind of monster movie. Indeed, any pretentious, humorless prig of a critic will hate this movie. But the rest of mankind will get a kick out of the complete wackiness of two men dressed like 80-meter-tall lizards boxing in downtown Tokyo (or what it would look like if Tokyo were a 1/10000th size scale model).

This movie has every campy necessity to make it the greatest of the great B movies. You've got your Brooklyn astronaut, your emotionless aliens in goofy outfits, one brilliant scientist who uses Mr Wizard techniques to demonstrate scientific facts that are blatantly false, and a smattering model tanks melting under a stage-hand's blowtorch. The "A-cycle light wave," the random cuts of stuntmen falling over balconies, awesomely anthropomorphic monsters, the annoying nerd character, Planet X--What more could you want from a classic "fun" movie? It even has Godzilla's famous victory dance! How could you not like this movie??

I pity the child who is deprived of the joys of Godzilla before he must face the harsh realities of life.
  • kaijuguy22 December 1999
    This is my favorite Godzilla film. It was made during a time when the series was given a decent budget and respect by it's makers. It looks beautiful in widescreen and the chemistry between Akira Takarada, Kumi Mizuno, and Nick Adams is outstanding. The original Japanese version is superior of course, but the dubbed version is better than most of the other dubbed Godzilla films.
  • I'll always have a soft spot in my head for Monster Zero, since it was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw (back when the CBS Late Night Movie actually played fun stuff). Even now it is still a pretty good little piece of fluff. You've got Godzilla, Rodan, King Ghidorah, Nick Adams, aliens from Planet X, lotsa destruction and mayhem. Sounds like a good way to spend 90 miuntes on a dreary Sunday afternoon to me!
  • The story, characters, special effects, acting, and music are all fantastic, but there is one category in which the film unfortunately fails at: the pacing of the monster action, which is quite a detriment to the film's enjoyability. The first act is rather well-paced, effectively building up to a rather exciting fight on Planet X, but afterwords, it focuses completely on the humans until the last ten minutes of the film, and while there are many great human scenes here, eventually it drags out too long and it gets to the point where the audience is desperate for more monster action and wishes it could just pick up the pace a little. Once it finally does give you more monster action, though, it is fun. Overall, it's definitely one of the better films of the Showa series, with a lot of things going for it, but it's bad pacing keeping it from being satisfying all around.
    The sequel to 1964's success, "Invasion of Astro-Monster" is the sixth film in the first series. This is the first ever Godzilla movie to involve aliens in the plot, something that would soon become common later on around the late 60s. With the same four fathers behind it, this film is one to remember. Akira Ifukbe delivers the Rodan and Godzilla themes with a fresh, eerie, twist that sounded great while Tsubaraya took the SFX to new heights. The Planet X set looked great and realistic on screen, as well as the Xian saucers and their teleportation beams. Shinchi Sekizawa provided a very good screen play, full of romance, clever ideas and originality but a few faults. The human characters are likable and in their own way add to records to the G-saga. First off, Nick Adams is the first ever American actor to star in a G-flick, with a major role (although a few Americans are in a deleted scene in "Mothra vs. Godzilla" The scene is still in the American cut). Also, this is the ONLY Godzilla movie in history to have on screen kissing, although it only last 1.45 seconds ( Adams and Kumi Mizuno). I for one find this quite odd because several future G-films would have love stories to a degree, but never do they share a kiss. Just wanted to point that out...anyways, many Toho stars make appearances, including Akira Takarada, Akira Kubo and Jun Tazaki. Yoshio Tsuchiya plays the 'Controller of Planet X'. I love how he does those gestures with his hands every time he says something and it looks extraterrestrial. Kumi Mizuno also makes her G-film debut, who looked surprisingly cute in those ridiculous Xian tights.

King Ghidorah looks great as he did in the last film, and Rodan also returned, looking okay. However, this time a new Godzilla suit appeared. This suit doesn't look too bad and actually looks pretty cool. And believe it or not, the campiness is actually toned down from the last film ("Ghidrah: The Three Headed Monster"). Still, there's the odd Godzilla-shai and Godzilla thinking his Muhammad Ali. Despite this, the monster action is superbly great, especially on Planet X. Out of all the Showa films, this one has some of the best fights. Now where as you do have to wait a while, it's worth it in the end. The Planet X battle is defiantly top notch. The main reason I love the fights in this film is because their so energetic and full of personality. For one example, after the saucers have been destroyed, Godzilla recovers first and attacks Ghidrah while he's still down. I think it was a great character moment that showed how the two have become archenemies of sorts. Plus I like how Godzilla leaped at Ghidorah, actually tackling him down. Very cool. Rodan, however, has kind of Godzilla do most of the actual combat, but he still gets his moments.

Along with all the cool fights, all the monsters get some nicely done city-smashing scenes. It's been nearly ten years since we've seen Rodan destroy and it feels good to see, in the words of G-expert Stuart Gulbraith IV on the commentary "that menace of old". Some of the destruction is "Rodan" stock-footage but it doesn't really bother me because not a whole lot is used. UNLIKE the messes created in 1972 and 1973. Godzilla and Ghidorah both do some delightful damage as well and there are some great shots. Oh yeah, Godzilla's heat ray looks great, if, though, a little too thin. But much better than his 'steam' breath in the last film.

It's U.S. cut is respectful to the original, although Tetsuo (Akira Kubo) sounds too nerdy at times. Aso, some of the dubbing's lines are a bit cheesy. For example, Takarada's character: "The licking our first trucks have taken is something terrible. it isn't looking too hot." Terrible, I know, but overall it's better than how others were dubbed. Some have pointed out a weakness in the plot, specifically why did the Xians need to lie and trick the human characters into 'giving' them the monsters when they're already on Earth and could already control the monsters? To me, it's something you have to think about. Maybe, just maybe, the aliens were afraid if they just launched an all-out attack that Tetsuo would use his alarm system on them and wanted a more subtle approach. This is hinted at when they burn the plans for the device and when they imprisoned Tetsuo. Sekizawa should've explained it a little more. I just wanted to say that in the film's defense because other than this, and the Xian's weird shoes, the film was great. One thing there's no real way to defend is how in his monologue, the Controller 'confessed' to using magnetic waves to control the monsters. And thanks to this our heroes thought up the idea to use the A-Cycle Light Ray.

He obviously didn't think Earth was smart enough to find a loop hole in his dastardly plans. But as the climax shoes, guess not. Still, all in all, "Invasion of Astro-Monster" is a very well done installment to the series.
  • The title for this movie, Godzilla Versus Monster Zero, is a little misleading. It was actually titled something else in the US for a short while when originally released- Invasion of the Astros- though Monster Zero eventually stuck. Because for the bits of Godzilla action that are in the film, and there are a few to appease the fans, it's really more of an invaders-from-another-planet movie, with the aliens from Planet X being a bunch of guys in thin sunglasses and silver suits looking to take over the Earth. And as a typical B (or less than B) science fiction knock-off of ten different other ones all leading back to the Day the Earth Stood Still, it actually isn't that bad, or as bas as one might expect. Astronauts head to Planet X to see if there is hospitable life, only to find a group of aliens who are being bothered incessantly by King Ghidra. A proposal is hatched: bring the aliens to Earth to get Godzilla and Rodan to fight Ghidra on Planet X home turf, then the human race gets, get this, a cure for all known diseases!

Sounds like a trap? It is, of course, and the aliens follow the astronauts back to their planet to conquer them, using Godzilla, Rodan and Ghidra under command to destroy the world. Through this, there's some story-padding that the filmmakers put in involving a romantic tryst between the American (yes, American) astronaut, played by Nick Adams, and with the Japanese astronaut's younger brother, an unsuccessful inventor, who late in the film finally gets his due. And then, meanwhile, the planet is under threat, the people protest (in newspaper montage- not newsreel, news*paper*), and the military strikes back, only to find that only one thing can stop the Planet X-ians: a specific sound. In the realm of meaningless, hokey monster-movie fare, Godzilla Versus Monster Zero is fun enough, though lacks a lot of the meaty monster battles one is expecting. Aside from a brief mid-point where we see the three monsters go at it on Planet X (with Godzilla providing a classically hilarious victory dance that looks like he's doing a jig), all the monster action is confined to the last ten minutes.

At this point, finally, Ishiro Honda and FX man Tsuburyara finally unleash their special effects fury (toy tanks included), and there's some cheesy enjoyment in that. But in general, this flick suffers from a bit too much talk, a little too much time spent on the people from Planet X, who's cool look fades after thirty seconds, and the usual paper-thin characters. It might make some mild enjoyment to watch, if you're young, but those looking for a lot of action may be disappointed. A decent entry that suffers from taking a little for granted what it means to have GODZILLA appearing first on the title card.
  • SnoopyStyle13 October 2019
    In the year 196X, astronauts Glenn Amer and Fuji are traveling to Planet X. They are met by an alien underground civilization. The aliens want to use Rodan and Godzilla against Monster Zero which is ravishing their surface world. It turns out to be another King Ghidorah. In exchange, they promise to give a wonder drug to cure all human diseases.

Aliens and monsters. It's such a campy concept that one cannot help but love it. I love the aliens. The story needs a lot more simplification. A simpler story would work easier. This has all the classic Japanese monster bits from the genre. All the monsters get to crush miniatures. The Japanese actors get to point and yell in shock. It has all that plus aliens.