• newnoir29 September 2000
    I always loved watching this on CBS when I was a kid. I even loved the commercials. They were always either Dolly Madison or McDonald's commercials. That seems like a strange thing to mention but I felt it added something extra to this special. I loved the look of the show. All the oranges and reds and other fall colors. From the pumpkin carving opener, the pumpkin patch, Snoopy's fantasy World War I adventures as he makes his way across the French countryside, to the beautiful musical score, it all adds up to one great Halloween experience. Taking you back to a simpler time when the world seemed more innocent. We'll miss you Charlie Schultz.
  • Although thousands of Halloween TV specials bombard us each October, one stands out as a can't-miss for anyone with children or anyone who ever was a child. The complete lack of scariness makes this the classic feel-good movie of the season. It is one film that is appropriate for children of every age, even very young children. It brings up the same nostalgic feelings that the Peanuts comic strip does, and gets me in the Halloween spirit every year. If you haven't seen it yet, spend some time this October to watch it with the children in your life. It's perfect with warm popcorn and orange candy corn. So for a change from the movies that give you nightmares, try the Halloween special that will give you sweet dreams of great pumpkins.
  • The thing I loved most about this Charlie Brown Halloween special was the sheer simplicity of it. The creators obviously aimed this at people of all ages; It is just so funny and cute, it's impossible not to love. There is no horror, thriller, or gruesome bloody scenes. It shows what Halloween is really about- the fun of trick-or-treating, and being with your friends.

Linus believes in the 'Great Pumpkin', the Santa Claus of Halloween. He misses out on Halloween to stay in the Pumpkin Patch, waiting for the Great Pumpkin to pick his pumpkin patch as the most sincere. Meanwhile, Charlie Brown and the gang get invited to Violet's halloween party. The gang save Sally goes trick-or-treating as well. Sally decides to stay with Linus.

Don't miss out on this! A must see for Halloween.
  • This special is great. I love the background music, especially the upbeat tempo played while Charlie Brown dances because he has finally been invited to a Halloween party...by mistake. The scene with Snoopy and the Red Baron is an abrupt switch from the storyline, but it is very well done; 5 minutes or so without any talking.

Did anyone notice how big the moon is in the pumpkin patch? It is huge!
  • This is a very good animated feature! It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is very funny and I am surprised it is still poplar today! If you get chance to watch it then do so because it is really a classic and great for Halloween!
  • I grew up with this and all the other Peanuts specials. I remember sitting up until 8:00pm (late for me at that age) and loving it. I remember the Mounds and Almond Joy ads. I even remember the catchy CBS "Special Presentation" intro. What can be said for this classic that hasn't been said before? From Linus and Sally in the pumpkin patch all night to the still quoted "I got a rock!" line, not many holiday specials that don't involve Charlie Brown and the gang bring a smile to my face like It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Schulz.

My grade: A+
  • Every year I put together a horror movie marathon for me and my friends around Halloween and this special is always on the play list. It just wouldn't be the Halloween horror movie marathon without it. The Great Pumpkin really evokes why we all fell in love with the Halloween season and holiday. The candy, the costumes, but most importantly the mysterious nature. As a child everything seemed so mysterious and grand which is what Linus is experiencing with his Great Pumpkin beliefs.

The Great Pumpkin really sets the mood for the Halloween season. If you have young kids you could do much worse than introduce them to this wonderful little special. It was a huge part of my childhood and I have many fond memories sitting with mom and dad watching this on CBS with the old Halloween-themed McDonald's commercials. It just brings me back to a simpler time.

Also, do not give out rocks as treats. That's just cruel.
  • Now what would Halloween, my favorite holiday, be without Charlie

Brown and the Great Pumpkin? Not to date myself, but I remember the very first time it aired on

CBS at the ripe old age of 7! I've never missed it since! Nothing encapsulates childhood, camaraderie and the spirit of

Halloween more than this Charles M. Schultz classic. Charlie

Brown and his bag of rocks, Snoopy and the Red Baron, Linus'

ingenious use of his security blanket for a ghost costume, Vince

Guaraldi's great score, and of course, bossy Lucy and her

sarcastic voice of reason - I think we all know a 'Lucy' growing up! All the feelings of anticipation, excitement and fear so commonly

associated with this spooky holiday is captured here - even the

feeling of great disappointment when awakening the day after and

knowing one must wait another FULL year for this greatest of

holidays to come again - another year to plan and live out your

fantasy. Well, at least there's Charlie Brown Xmas to get us over

the hump! Good Grief!!
  • I've been a lifetime Peanuts fan; I grew up with the comic strip and a number of the TV specials. It was always a cause for celebration to see these endearing characters and laugh at their assorted escapades.

Here, the character of Linus, ordinarily the most sensible of the children, indulges in his ongoing personal fantasy involving the almighty Great Pumpkin who in Linus' mind is the Santa Claus of the Halloween season, appearing in the most sincere of pumpkin patches and distributing toys to the faithful.

One can't help but be charmed by his dedication to this concept, even as it prevents him from enjoying the more conventional trappings of the holiday - specifically trick or treating, which his admirer Sally forgoes in order to be with him.

This lovable story does of course display a constant disarming sense of humour, in particular poor Charlie Browns' tendency to get rocks in his treat bag in place of candy - yet he doesn't let it get him down. Good old Snoopy continues to be a major cut up - whether he's indulging in his own flights of fancy, taking on the persona of the World War I Flying Ace forever facing off against his arch rival The Red Baron, and pretending to be making his way across enemy lines (this sequence features some of the best animation in the special), or stealing the show at Violets' Halloweeen Party. It's just too cute when he bops along to Schroeders' piano music and then sobs uncontrollably when the music turns dramatic.

The special remains bright and upbeat all the way through, with Linus ranting his way all through the closing credits about the supposed "stupidity" of waiting in a pumpkin patch. Everything about this can continue to appeal to all ages; 45 years later, it's still a charmer.

• DKosty1234 December 2009
    After A Charlie Brown Christmas, this one came along the next fall. While it is not quite the first one, it has some good moments. Of course when this was made, Halloween was more of a trick or treat holiday as this one was originally sponsored by Dolly Madison, the maker of cup cakes. This high point of this one is Lucy talking about wearing a costume to match your personality.

Snoopy has his first major World War 1 Flying Ace segment here and it is effectively woven into the story. As a Halloween Special, Linus is always waiting for the Great Pumpkin & it is consistent with Linus that he makes a negative remarks about Santa believers. After all, in the previous Christmas Special, Santa is not mentioned in his speech of what Christmas is all about.

The Halloween party, which is a bigger staple today than ever is here though if this were to be updated, Snoopy could decorate his dog house with Halloween Lights, like he did with Christmas lights in the other special. While it is not Christmas, it did help build Charles Schultz resume so that he would do lots more television & movies with the Peanuts gang.
  • Really, what can one say about this little TV-movie to expresses its greatness? Along with "A Charlie Brown Christmas," "The Great Pumpkin" is a Peanuts masterpiece. The kids are just as we love them best - witty, precocious, adorable, sweet, and frustrated! Everyone should grow up watching this movie: Charlie Brown getting rocks in his bag, Linus' unwavering belief in the Great Pumpkin, Sally's calls of "Sweet Baboo," Lucy...being Lucy. All these superb comic elements blend to create one of the best holiday specials - or not even just for the holidays! - in history. If you've had the misfortune to never see this great piece, please go find it and watch it! You'll enjoy it no matter what your age. Have fun!
  • I was born in 1966. Since I can remember, I've been a Peanuts fan. It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown was a must watch show for me every Halloween since about the age of 4. Eating a TV dinner and watching it in the den was the highlight of Halloween. It got me primed to go trick or treating.

As an adult with children in their 20's, I still stop what I'm doing to watch Linus sit in the pumpkin patch with Sally. I know that its silly but at the end of the show, I always feel let down just like Linus. My kids shake their heads when I start going off that by now he should know better.

I will be an old woman and still watching It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. It reminds of a simpler time when kids could off in groups to trick or treat. You could get popcorn balls and candy apples along with other goodies. If Halloween fell on a school day, teachers kept you busy working a cool project in hopes of keeping you calm.
  • sean_dody6 October 2019
    Family loved and watch every year in Halloween movie list
  • So...It has the Red baron Snoopy WWI fantasy...and that is what you remember. That is the most awesome part of any Charlie Brown movie.

And...beyond that you have a kid making up a story and believing it that would, almost 30 years later, be spoofed in an episode of the Simpsons. So it has staying power.

But really, it's a childhood classic that you love first because it is wonderful and touching, then later because it's nostalgic, and then later because it is a generational tradition.

In other words it stands the test of time like the Godfather and so many other pure classics.
  • SnoopyStyle15 October 2014
    Halloween is approaching and Linus is convinced that the Great Pumpkin is coming. His sister Lucy is infuriated with him. Even Charlie Brown doesn't believe him. Snoopy laughs at him. Charlie Brown's sister Sally adores Linus and willingly waits with him at the pumpkin patch instead of going on her first trick-or-treating. Charlie Brown is excited to be invited to a party for the first time in his life. Everybody is going to Violet's party after trick-or-treating. Snoopy is his imaginary WWI flying ace alter-ego. Sally's rant at the end is both adorable and hilarious. This is such a sweet Charlie Brown special. It's missing the big compelling message of the Christmas special. Nevertheless, this is just a fun charming Halloween tradition.
  • Terryfan29 October 2010
    To say that It's The Great Pumpkin,Charlie Brown is a priceless classic is how it should be said.

The characters are just classics such as Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Sally, Lucy, Linus and many more.

The Story is about Linus and his mission to meet and greet The Great Pumpkin who is not even real but Linus don't care he believe in The Great Pumpkin.

The Great Pumpkin is a character that brings toys to all good little kids in Linus' mind.

While the other kids like Charlie Brown, Lucy and others go out for Trick or Threat Linus ask Sally to wait with him in The Pumpkin Patch.

My favorite scenes are When Snoopy and Charlie Brown finish racking up leafs Linus is licking on a sucker when he sees the Leafs he said "CHARGE"! He run in full speed and jumps right into the leafs and he turns to Charlie Brown and Snoopy and said "Never Jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker". They then give him a evil look.

My other favorite scene is the classic Lucy pull the football away from Charlie Brown. Just as he is about to kick the ball and he lands right on his back.

The Animation is very solid and is a classic sample of hand drawn animation with great artwork.

The voice work is so solid for a classic like this.

The Music is always a hit with me and nothing more can be say about it Overall It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is a real classic and one of the best Charlie Brown movies far none and if you have not seen it watch it now.

I give It's The Great Pumpkin,Charlie Brown a Perfect 10 out of 10.
  • ofpsmith15 June 2015
    What's the movie that you watch every Halloween. Okay technically for me it's The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, but I also watch this every year. And who doesn't? This movie is classic Halloween fun. It reminds me of the olden days of Halloween when I was a little kid. From the scene where Snoopy is fighting the red baron, to when Charlie Brown (Peter Robbins) is informed that he was supposed to be placed on a black list of people not to invite at the party (by the way, the only other person who does that is Joseph McCarthy) to the scenes where Linus Van Pelt (Christopher Shea) waits for the great pumpkin, this short has everything you could want. My family watches it every year, and you should too. If of course you don't already.
    The gang go trick or treating. As Sally, Charlie's younger sister wants to stay by her sweet baboo Linus, who wants to see the Great Pumpkin Patch or the Santa Claus of the Halloween.

Charlie gets invited to a party thrown by Violet. A first for him despite the fact that he never, hardly ever gets invited. But despite going Trick or Treating, and at the party, all he gets is rocks for candy.

Snoopy in his own imagination acts like he is on assignment as a soldier and using his doghouse for a plane. We all wished that we had a neat imagination like Snoopy.

Still we all know what happens at the end. Won't spoil it for those that have not watched. But it is very sweet and Charlie and Company never have grown old or grown up for that matter as kids turned into adults.
    Another early gem from the "Peanuts" series. This time it's Halloween and the fun and festivities are about to get underway. Charlie Brown actually gets invited to a party, the kids are making their costumes, and Linus, slightly mixed up in the area of "which holiday figure goes where" is eagerly awaiting the "Great Pumpkin" and his sack of toys for the good kids and convinces Sally to bypass Trick-or-Treating and wait with him in a pumpkin patch. The kids go out for Candy, Charlie Brown gets a bag of rocks, the party goes on as planned,and Linus is left sleeping in the pumpkin patch with Sally unleashing her wrath upon him after missing all the fun waiting for something that just wasn't going to happen. In short, good Peanuts fun. But what stands out in this special is Snoopy, now fully developed as stand out element of comedy in this series. He's over the top in this show, from his doghouse dogfight with the "Red Baron" to his antics at the party and later in the pumpkin patch..Snoopy steals it all here. Classic fun to get you laughing every year in October.
    While the rest of the Peanuts gang are preparing for their usual Halloween rituals, Linus is busy writing his letter to 'The Great Pumpkin', a figure who is seems to be a cross between Santa Claus and Pumpkinhead who he believes gives Halloween presents only to kids that really deserve it. He is ridiculed by everyone apart from Sally who is the only one who will join him in the pumpkin patch.

The trick-or-treating goes well for everyone apart from poor Charlie Brown who is only given rocks. That's probably what would happen to me if I went trick-or-treating as a child. Meanwhile, Snoopy dresses up as a WWI fighter pilot and pretends to be shot down behind enemy lines. But there's not enough of Pigpen, who is my favorite character.

A great TV special indeed. Kids back in 1966 didn't know how good they had it. With all of today's CGI technology I guess we have forgotten that, sometimes, the simple stories and animation can be the most endearing.
  • A Halloween classic that never gets old. The Peanuts gang goes trick-or-treating while Linus sits in a pumpkin patch, waiting for the Great Pumpkin. All the kids are so adorable in this early special, especially Sally. The script is terrific and full of funny lines ("There are three things that I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."). Fantastic Vince Guaraldi music, Lucy and the football, Charlie Brown's pathetic ghost costume, the WWI flying ace, poison dog lips, and "I got a rock" are among the wonderful things about this timeless gem. I've seen it dozens, if not hundreds, of times since I was a child and it never gets old. They don't make 'em like this anymore.
  • ADORA11 October 1999
    This should definitely be a part of your Halloween tradition; especially if you have kids! This is a wonderfully endearing classic that will have you sitting in your nearest pumpkin patch hoping to catch a glimpse of the Great Pumpkin!
  • I watched a lot of the Charlie Brown specials when I was a kid, but have to admit that the only two I really remember are this one and "A Charlie Brown Christmas." So, basically, I'm thinking of one in terms of the other. "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" seems to miss some of what made the Christmas show really work. It doesn't seem to have any particular purpose or message, and at times I found it very negative. I know Charlie Brown is the always the butt of the jokes, but in this some of what was directed his way seemed mean rather than funny - like adults (presumably) throwing rocks in his trick or treat bag. And even Linus was being constantly picked on for his belief in The Great Pumpkin - a Santa Claus type figure Linus believes in who rises out of a pumpkin patch and delivers toys to children.

The show to me seemed more directed to adults than to children. There were a lot of references that would have gone over the heads of children. Things like "there are three things I should never discuss - religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin!" or Charlie Brown suggesting that his belief in Santa Claus and Linus' belief in the Great Pumpkin represent "denominational differences." Snoopy is always a great addition to these shows, and he's always cute enough for young ones to love, but his get-up as the World War I flying ace, and the extended part of the story about it also seemed to be extraneous.

Yeah. It brings back some good memories of childhood - not just of watching this year after year but of going trick or treating with friends and dressing up, but I still didn't find this anywhere near as magical as "A Charlie Brown Christmas," although I was delighted that at the end of the story a softer side of Lucy came out as she went and collected a shivering Linus from his fruitless night in the pumpkin patch and put him to bed. Brothers and sisters might fight, but in the end they love and care for each other. (5/10)
    The Peanuts gang celebrate Halloween by going trick or treating and attending a Halloween party. Meanwhile, Linus and Sally patiently await in the most sincere pumpkin patch in town for the Great Pumpkin to arrive. Director Bill Melendez and writer Charles M. Shulz astutely evoke a child-like sense of awe and wonder about Halloween, specifically depicting the joy of friends and the fun of trick or treating with warm, funny and touching accuracy. Moreover, the anguish and disappointments of childhood are likewise shown in a winningly pleasant and witty way, with Charlie Brown getting nothing but rocks making for a hilarious running gag and the failure of the Great Pumpkin to ultimately materialize teaching all of us a valuable lesson about how life doesn't always pan out the way you want it to. In fact, there's something very moving about Linus' fierce unwavering devotion to the Great Pumpkin. Of course, it certainly helps that the characters are so distinct and appealing: the perpetually luckless, yet persistent Charlie Brown, the deceitful Lucy, the precocious Linus, the smitten Sally, and, best of all, the ever exuberant Snoopy. Among the highlights: Lucy dressing as a witch, Pigpen showing up in a dirty costume, Snoopy as a World War I flying ace fighting the Red Baron, Charlie Brown being used as a model for a pumpkin carving, and Snoopy catching himself howling along to Schroeder's melancholy piano music. The use of actual kid actors to do the voices of the characters gives this show an extra appealing authenticity. Kudos are also in order for Vince Guaraldi's supremely jazzy and jaunty score, which makes inspired use of fluttery flutes to capture the eeriness of Halloween. But this program's chief enduring strength is its sweet and charming simplicity. An absolute delight.
  • It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

*** (out of 4)

The Peanuts gang is celebrating Halloween with Charlie Brown getting invited to his first party and Limus waiting for the Great Pumpkin to show up. I can't say I've ever seen, read or watched anything that dealt with the Peanut gang so this was a new experience for me and I really liked it. The movie certainly isn't anything special but it's certainly very cute and I reckon that was the whole point of it. The only stuff I didn't care too much for was Snoopy and his WW1 scenes, which I thought took away from the more interesting aspects of the film. I liked the trick or treating scenes with one character getting the same thing over and over. I like the teasing that Limus gets while skipping the good stuff in exchange for waiting for something that isn't coming. The comedy still holds up quite well for this pleasant little short.