User Reviews (4)

• JohnSeal16 December 2006
    Blank-faced Richard Harrison stars as yet another Man With No Name (though it's actually Joe, apparently) in this extremely pedestrian Spanish western. He's out to avenge the deaths of the Sorenson family, who are killed off in the first few minutes of the film by an Indian who is apparently armed with a rapid fire bow and arrow. Also implicated in the crime are four fellows you instantly know are villains: two swarthy chaps with Latino surnames (Ortega and Navarro), one with a Jewish name (Lasky), and one (Wallace) who, well, you just look at his sneer and you can see he's a baddie. Also on hand is Black Bart, a masked man with some gruesome facial scars, and a comic Confederate sidekick. El Rojo suffers from some of the most lackadaisical dubbing ever, with several of the voice actors displaying a distinct lack of enthusiasm. Though apparently shot in 2.35:1, the full-frame Greek video that forms the basis of this review actually looks pretty good--apparently director Leopoldo Savona centered his shots for most of the film.
    I titled this "Richard Harrison channels Clint Eastwood". I should have added "with little success". El Rojo (or just Rojo) seems to be a feeble attempt to recreate the success and feel of A Fistful of Dollars. The comparisons and influences are unmistakable. Harrison does his best at playing his version of The Man with No Name, but he doesn't have the charisma of Eastwood. Director Leopoldo Savona uses some of the same shot and lighting techniques, but he's certainly no Sergio Leone. And Benedetto Ghiglia main title theme is so similar to something Ennio Morricone would have written, it can't be a coincidence. These are talented men in their own right, but they can't compare with the people behind one of the greatest, most influential Spaghetti Westerns ever made.

I'll cut the writers some slack - all SW story lines seems to center on revenge. Here, the movie opens with group of settlers being massacred just as they reach their family's gold claim. The killings are made to look like the work of Indians, but we immediately know better. A town is built on the site called Gold Hill, One day, a stranger arrives in town (Harrison). It seems the four most respected (or feared) men in town were behind the massacre. And the stranger is the last living relative. He is (you guessed it) out for revenge.

Beyond what I've written earlier, there are other problems with Rojo. The biggest issue I had is the dull script. There are too few surprises to keep things interesting. Everything is sort of telegraphed from the very beginning. Also, I usually don't complain about dubbing (and I would never hold it against a film), but be warned - the dubbing on the version I watched was about as bad as I can remember. It's like someone ran the script though an online translator (I know, there was no internet in 1966) and didn't bother proofing the result. Parts are quite funny.

As for positives, there are a few. I mentioned the opening theme. It may sound like Morricone, but that's actually a good thing. It's a bit reminiscent of The Ecstasy of Gold. Some of the acting is good. Piero Lulli, as the head baddie and Nieves Navarro, as the love interest, were standouts. Finally, much of the movie does look good. The film has that sweaty, tight, dirty look to it that I always enjoy in a good SW.

Overall, Rojo is a lackluster attempt at recreating Leone's film. In short, it's unoriginal, predictable, and dull. I have probably overrated it with a 4/10.
    EL ROJO is a 1966 spaghetti western featuring a role for none other than former peplum star Richard Harrison. The arresting opening sequence of the movie features a whole family of travellers attacked by a merciless Indian who murders each of them in turn, woman and child included. Later, Richard Harrison rides into town, the last surviving member of the massacred family, and inevitably he's looking for revenge.

The film that played out is pretty ordinary and features all of the usual staples of the genre, from the shoot-outs and character twists to the bad dubbing and stylish music. Nieves Navarro is an arresting presence as the love interest of the piece, while Harrison plays it subdued throughout and looks very swarthy. It's not one of the finest spaghetti westerns in existence but it does the job well enough, and at least it's never boring.
  • Spaghetti and Paella Western coproduced by Italy and Spain with usual elements and ordinary actors. It starts when Sorensen family stops their wagon and carriage at a prairie when are attacked by Indians, being completely massacred. Many years later, at that location a small town called Gold Hill grows up, it is run by avaricious owners, these businessmen : a banker, a Saloon owner, a rancher, are the following ones : Wallace : Franco Ressell, Piero Luli, Andrea Aureli . But there arrives El Rojo : Richard Harrison , who results to be the last of the Sorenson and he seeks for vendetta.

Routine Pasta western with thrills, action, gun-play among contenders and lots of shootouts. Stars the American Richard Harrison who similar to Steve Reeves, Gordon Scott, Mark Forest and others, emigrated to Italy seeking fame and fortune by performing He men protagonists in Sword and Sandals movies as The Invincible Gladiator, Two Gladiators, The revolt of the Pretorians,Seven Spartans. Getting a certain popularity in Spaghetti Western as Gringo, Gunfight at High Noon, Joe Dakota, Joko, Reverend Colt, Abre la Fosa llega Sabata

It displays a Spaghetti and evocative musical score by Benedetto Ghighia. As well as atmospheric cinematography by Aldo Giordani, shot on location in La Pedriza, Colmenar Viejo, Manzanares del Real, Madrid, Spain and Cinecitta sutudios, El Lazio, Rome, Italy. The motion picture was professionally directed by Leopoldo Savona, though it has some flaws, failures and gaps. This director Savona who often used the pseudonym Leo Coleman was an Italian artisan who made all kinds of genres as Westerns : Apocalypse Joe, Dio perdoni la mia pistola, Posate la pistola Reverendo, Texas il Rouge, and Adventure/drama as Fra Diavolo, Knives of the avenger, Il Mongols, Due Orfanelle, Il Principe dalla Maschera Rosa, Teddy Boys and Giallo : Byleth, Death falls lightly, among others.