User Reviews (30)

• A great TV Police Show of the 1960's, and in fact only one of the very few that I would ever watch. So good in fact, that I joined the Police in 1970, and was a Police Officer until 2003. Yes, this show was very down to earth with its stories, and a great example of the every day to day duties performed by uniform Police (its the same "Job" all over the world!).
  • This is a wonderful show that I really enjoyed as a child! The very first episode, originally airing on 9/21/68, was a classic. Pete Malloy is disgruntled and about to quit the force after his patrol partner's death in a warehouse shooting, and is assigned rookie cop Jim Reed, age 23 and fresh out of the LA police academy. That first day, the officers break up a fight between two men over a lady on the street, then they chase two robbers in a big 1959 Buick four-door that crashes and burns in a canal confluence - this is a breathtaking sequence - that Buick is HUGE with the big canted fins! Malloy finishes his day by giving mouth to mouth to an infant who had stopped breathing. All in a day's work! A portent of good things to come over the next seven years. Watch it, get videos - you won't regret it!
  • This is one show that still holds up over thirty years after it premiered. Not only do you get a true life look at the day to day operations of a typical patrolman, but you also see the evolution of the relationship between two officers. When Reed is first teamed with Malloy he is the subordinate young officer who keeps calling Malloy sir and makes a few mistakes along the way, but by the end of the series, Malloy treats Reed as an equal and the two even call each other by their first names. In fact, in either the first or second season, Reed names Malloy the Godfather to his son. This show definitely proves that Jack Webb was a genius.
  • This show, for the first time, captured the essence of being a street cop. Not just all shootem-up and car chases.

Though obviously dated today.... a whole generation of kids watched this show and wanted to grow up and be Reed or Malloy, including me. The career that provided me with so much satisfaction was really inspired by this show. Despite what some may think, most cops got into the job with the same values and intents that hallmarked the characters on the Adam 12 show.

During my 25+ years in law enforcement, I was able to meet Kent McCord and Martin Milner at several charity events that they regularly supported. In real life, they truly are the good guys they portrayed on television. A picture of myself with them hangs on my office wall, and is one of my most cherished possessions.
  • I just wanted to say that this is definitely the best cop show ever to grace the airwaves. There are so few shows out there that focus on uniformed cops that it's nice to see something showcase the men (and women) that bust their butts protecting us common folks. I also like the "very little about their personal lives" approach. This is a cop show, so show us cops on duty. So many of today's cop shows care more about who's sleeping with who than the actually job of fighting crime. I want to thank Martin Milner and Kent McCord *not that they'd read this! :)* for making cops seem real in the eyes of so many that see cops as nothing but those horribly corrupt people that pull us over for going 4 over the speed limit. These guys did good!
  • The title is my attempt to honor the classic Johnny Carson "Claude Cooper copper clappers" bit with Jack Webb. As a kid I tried to never miss an episode of any Jack Webb series. Adam 12 being one of them. I really enjoyed how the relationship between Reed and Malloy developed throughout out the seasons. From the beginning when Malloy was a bit distant from his partner but still very mother hen-like to the later years when the two were comfortable with each other and taking little jabs at each other between calls.

One of my favorites was the episode when Reed's wife was pregnant, and the Reeds, Malloy, and his girl friend were trapped in a ghost town by a motorcycle gang. That episode still stands out in my mind. I enjoyed how the series dealt with more day to day stuff than the impossible situations shown in many other cop shows. It was amazing how a day's work could be squeezed into a 30 min show (22 w/o commercials).
  • Adam-12 is the best cop show before Cagney & Lacey, & NYPD Blue. Martin Millner plays Officer Pete Malloy Badge #744 and his partner Officer Jim Reed Badge #2430 played by Kent McCord was great.

After the first season of the show, there were changes. The 8 point caps that they wear changed to round. Reed's hair grow in every season. and they begain to wear nametags in the second season.

I like it.

I give it *****.
  • Even though it was one of the best shows ever in depicting the activities of everyday policeman on the beat in the streets of America, "Adam-12" was the forefront of future cop shows that were to follow it. This show was sort of like the "Cops" of its day as police officers Reed and Malloy go after the bad guys who brake the law and protect its citizens in the gritty streets of Los Angeles. Even though it only ran from 1968-1975 on NBC,this show was a fine police procedural that went straight by the book on how police procedures were done and how the officers handled difficult but strange situations in the line of duty(courtesy of its executive producer and creator Jack Webb). Catch the repeats on TV Land!!!!
  • Around 1975, I heard a police officer call Adam-12 the most realistic police show ever. In 1999, I heard a recently retired police officer say the same thing. It's hard to top those reviews.

All I'll add is that it had the best casting of any TV show I've seen.
  • This has got to be the best TV series I've ever seen. It has clean drama, humor, and action, and best of all, everything *really happened.* It's a superb look at a policeman's life, and after every episode I have even more respect for those who risk their lives to keep us safe.
  • Joe Friday, Jack Webb-two names which are virtually indistinguishable, one from another. The first name is Fictional, made-up. He is the product of human imagination, more of a symbol of Law & Order than a character in a story.

Even though the young Mr. Webb had the desire to become a Comedian and having his own Radio Show, much like his boyhood idol, Jack Benny, things don't always work out the way we envision them. (And the World can and may well be better off for it!) For it was his success with DRAGNET"Radio Show, which soon morphed into "DRAGNET" TV Series (1951-1959), that gave a great share of immortality to Jack in our American Pop Culture.

As time moved along, Mr. Webb became a creative force to several other Law Enforcement themed series. We saw his Production Company's Trademark of a strong, sinewy, sweaty, grimy hands pounding a flat lettering chisel-stamp, with the Hammer Striking and leaving the words: "A Mark VII, Ltd. Production", on quite a few series. Following the trail blazing accomplishments of "DRAGNET", we received several of these for our approval, as Rod Serling used to say.

So Mr. Webb brought us "O'HARE, U.S. TREASURY"(1971) with David Jansen, the longevity prone "EMERGENCY!(1972-79), and the equally long running, second most recognized as "a Jack Webb production "ADAM 12"(1968-75).

In "ADAM 12", Jack pushed the Envelope forward as far as the celluloid portrayal of Big City Cops goes. Using all the experience from his for incarnations of "DRAGNET", he let loose a sure winner with the TV Audience, as well as a continuing favourite with the Criticsizers (o.k., okay! It's 'Critics', I knew it all along!) In looking back to those years of the Late 1960's to the Early 1970's, we as a Nation (the U.S. A., that is, Schultz!)were all caught up in what was probably the High Water Mark of the 'Counter-Culture' Hippy/Yippie/Flippy Anti-Authority,Anti-Establishment, Anti-Cop media tirades of that period. This was the Era of Assassination, with John F. Kennedy (1963), Martin Luther King (1968) and Robert Kennedy (also '68), all dying at the hands of murderers with Political motivations. And there were other incidents such as the attempted Murder of Former Alabama Governor George Wallace in May of 1972.

In addition, we had subversive groups infiltrating Movements of War Protest, the Greatest example being the Rioting in the Streets of Chicago ("…My kind of Town!") during that Week-Long Democratic National Convention in August 1968. Next would likely be their highly return in the following year of 1969 for their Self-Proclaimed "Days of Rage", October 5-11.

The same Left Wing Organizations also used their influence to turn Urban Rioting following events like the Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., to a sort of Urban Sedition. Aided by certain sensational headlines driven manipulators in the News Media, all blame seemed to be put on the Uniformed Police charged with doing something about it.

And always being a guy sympathetic to the thankless plight of the Cops, Mr.Webb set out to give us a dramatized version of just what it was like to be on the other end of that on- going struggle.

Essentially, Jack Webb rendered a series which could to be said is a "Dragnet of, by and for the Uniformed Police. In spite of some criticisms, such as being a little preachy in its story lines and stilted in the language employed, it certainly deserves to be rated as a top series of its time. And it certainly was a step up in the Cop Show Evolutionary Chain leading to some of the finest of Present Day Police Dramas. Next stage is represented by Joe Wambaugh's "POLICE STORY"( 1973-77).
  • So great to see Jack Hogan in a suit. This is a great series, all the actors are great. Jack Hogan, is a "love" in Combat, he makes me happy and in this series, he makes me proud of him.

Joy in Canada
  • This was and still is one of the best cop shows to be seen in the history of TV. Martin Milner ("13 Ghosts") and Kent McCord are two very likeable guys who just have a job as they show us the real life of being a police officer and its responsibilites. They also show us just how idiotic criminals and law breakers really are. A perfect example is how they'll go to bust a guy who just robbed a bank. "The car's stolen," Reed says, "The guy just got out on good behavior." They chase the guy down, pin the cuffs on him and the idiot screams, "I'm not going back !" You have to wonder why the idiot broke the law in the first place if he doesn't want to go back. Wouldn't the logical thing would be to go straight ? Maybe that's what makes this show so fascinating is that it's a study of human behavior through the eyes of the police. The only thing we have close to this today is probably "Cops" and to a lesser extent, "Police Videos," but like too often, it's the original that is superior.
  • As the viewer quickly finds out about Adam-12's two clean-cut, no-nonsense, police officers, Pete Malloy and Jim Reed - These were, definitely, a couple of very civic-minded, law-enforcing dudes who were rarely, if ever, gonna fire their guns at any suspect (unless, of course, it was absolutely necessary).

And so, with that in mind, you can be sure to find that TV's Adam-12 was, by far, a lot less gun-crazy and violent as were most other cop shows on the boob-tube at the time.

With its stories ranging from the tragic to the trivial - Adam-12 conscientiously strove to portray a sense of authentic realism when it involved the day-to-day routines of police officers Malloy and Reed.

Produced by Jack Webb (of Dragnet fame) - Adam-12 proudly boasted that its cases were all actually taken directly from real police files (only the names were changed to protect the innocent - natch).
  • Before one can even watch this they have to recognize Jack Webb's persona. All of the complexities of human interaction were present in the late '60s and early '70s but, unlike a lot of the relativistic 'gray' portrayals of law enforcement and crime today, they were not given a lot of air time. Adam-12 was simply a show depicting the 'best' of LAPD and 'how' things should have been done versus how they often were. Jack Webb's involvement with LAPD "and" (significantly) his support of the 'average cop' on the beat went way back and perhaps simply because he had a tough childhood and had to 'be responsible' much of his effort is to show accountability. He was never a cop, his military background was limited but he certainly produced a wonderfully entertaining yet simple "police drama" with Reed and Malloy. "1 Adam-12, see the woman..." and so it goes.

These shows were sans profanity, obvious sexuality and even real violence. Significantly they lacked CGI and much in the way of volatility type action (explosions, car crashes and so forth) and really seemed more of 'a training film' process for civilians. Call it nostalgic but I liked that time and manner. Great series! Worth watching today.
  • This show was a solid entry from the start. The pairing of Kent McCord & Martin Milner provided instant sparks as the two of them played off each other very well. As they were both fairly young actors this helped hit a younger audience.

Jack Webb revived Dragnet at about the same time as this series started, but while the way the stories are laid out is similar, the youth movement gave this one more spark. Along with that, the rolling moving patrol car theme gave this one more hip than the more office grounded Dragnet. This series just plain had more action.

1-Adam-12, see the man at 19 Main Street for possible Liquor Store robbery. The patrol car radio would crackle out something like this at the beginning of every show. There would often be some car chases which would prove as popular on TV series as they were in theaters like Steve McQueens "Bullet" which was on screens when this show started.

This show was very solid & provided NBC solid ratings for quite a few years. I am not sure how well it would do on the DVD market, but think it could get some more fans if folks would check it out. It is a very good police action series from the late 60's era.
  • Adam-12 is my all time favorite show. It was clean-cut and enjoyable to people of most ages, which is pretty respectable in itself. It dealt with serious subjects but put some honest humor in them and made the show enjoyable. As another user commented, the characters' personalities were shown through their work and not so much through their personal lives. With each episode, you learned more about the characters and how they dealt with certain situations. Most of the fun was displayed while the two main characters (Malloy and Reed) were in the patrol car. They often teased each other and they have one-liners that make me laugh every time I hear them. There are many other great characters in the show too! Jack Webb put outstanding detail into every episode which gave it a very realistic atmosphere. I really enjoy watching the show, and I truly recommend it. You can email me if you want to.

(PS- I'm only 14 too)
  • If you -have- to get busted by the LAPD, Reed and Malloy are the cops you'd want to have do it. They portray their characters as honest, fair and compassionate even when they have to go by the book. It's a clear-eyed look at the day-to-day of police work. Also, just like the officers themselves, the audience never finds out what happens to many of their cases. A must see show.
  • john_m3451 August 2005
    I first watched Adam-12 when I was six years old (1976) and this was one of the pioneers that going me going forward in my life. I wish Adam-12 would've ended with a bang when the show went off the air after Auguest of 1975 after a seven season run on NBC. We never know when Pete Malloy (Martin Milner) and Jim Reed (Kent McCord) retired from the LAPD! It would've been interesting for one final episode for have NBC to have aired a movie of the week where Pete Malloy and Jim Reed go on an out of country vacation where by accident they get caught in dealing with the mob and they use their great police knowledge to put an end to the violence.

After the violence is ended Pete Malloy returns to Los Angeles and gets married where he decides to retire from being a policeman to handle a much safer job which is to teach a law class at UCLA. Jim Reed meanwhile decides to accept the promotion of being a detective.
  • in the 1960's, television witnessed a huge jump in entertainment. many different shows came and went, and each had a specific Theme. Police Shows Dominated, because they had one man writing them...Jack Webb. a former police officer himself, Jack Webb created 2 shows which forever keep a place in viewer's hearts...Dragnet and Adam-12. Adam-12 is one of my favorite shows personally, and despite the fact the episodes took place in the late 60s and early 70s, it shows the many situations police face every day. even today many things that happen, happened in 1968. whether it was a sniper on the roof who was high on drugs, or a naked lady on a public beach in LA, The Adam-12 unit was there to deal with it, with the best police training of the day.

Officer Pete malloy is a cop with many years experience (according to one episode from 1968, he claims to have spent 7 years in the force.) he's taken on a role with Officer Jim reed, a brand new cop that still smells like the academy, and that role is to serve and protect the Citizens of Los Angeles, California. along the way, they deal with many situations, like a 12 year old vandal, a pair of cop-hating friends, child molesters, and even a fellow cop who loves action more than serving the community.

This show should still be on television with reruns. it shows a father figure in malloy, a superior police officer who takes reed, a younger, less experienced one underneath his wing and trains him, much like a Jedi master and his apprentice. We don't have father figure characters like that anymore.

And we also seem to don't have those kind of police officers anymore. or so the media tells us.

• I was fortunate enough to meet martin Milner a few years ago. Even as an adult, I was eager to talk to him. Milner was gracious enough to give me his autograph, which I immediately laminated and treasure today (Nov 2005). I watched the new series in 1990. That series could only Be referred to as Skunk TV.

I would welcome the opportunity to meet Kent KcCord and get his autograph. Does anybody remember McCord's real last name? McWhorter. Just a little bit of useless trivia I picked up years ago and still remember. This tells you that I watched way too much Adam-12, both growing up and whenever I can find it in syndication. I need to convince my wife to buy the series on DVD for me. Everyone please pray for me. It's almost Christmas and I am working on her again.
  • That's part of the opening. So far i haven't seen any fights with chains and knives. I wasn't alive when it was first aired. I finally got TVland at my house and am hooked on Adam-12, Dragnet, and Emergency!. In fact, I am in the process of watching the Adam-12/Dragnet Fandemonium Weekend. And this is the best cop show. It may not always be the most realistic thing around, but that's the problem with cop shows that are airing right now. They are to graphing and spend more time with the personal lives of the policemen than with the job. And the jobs and "not getting to eat" are funny sometimes. They spent a whole episode with Reed tring to tell Malloy a joke, and it wasn't even funny. I may not be making a lot off sense, but if you get TVland, watch Adam 12. You'll love it.

(And I am only 14)