User Reviews (3)

• I saw this movie when I was a child and always remembered it - hoping that it would eventually be available to rent or own (still not). It is a marvelous fantasy about a group of children who go to live on an island without any grown-ups. There is a remarkable technique used if I recall for the way they travel. All that remains with me is that it was such a fantastic world that they create for themselves. Let's all keep hoping that someday it will be on VHS. I know that when I read Lord of the Flies I was thoroughly upset because I had seen The Seventh Continent and KNEW that it wouldn't be like that - that children would work out all their problems and live together. There is some magic in the story - but that's perfect.
  • Boodlums18 August 2005
    I saw The Seventh Continent when I was a child, and really enjoyed it. It is a delightful, fun adventure. I don't remember many specifics anymore, but... oh my God, I think this was my first crush on an Asian girl, where she's so adorably beckoning. LOL. Anyway, the movie's special effects were kind of low tech, but I actually enjoyed that -- kind of like watching Dark Shadows unedited bloopers or discovering how a magician performs a floating trick. This is definitely a movie for children, although adults who've never grown up may enjoy it as well. A Never-never land which feels much closer to home and real. I recommend seeing this movie for fun; just keep the hecklers away.
    Nearing the end of finishing all my notes on X-Mas films viewings,I started looking for a new theme to jump into. Finding on ICM a running Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge,I decided to join in by travelling to the seventh continent.

View on the film:

Retaining the quirkiness of earlier cartoon shorts, co-writer/(with Ruzena Fisher/ Andro Lusicic and Vladislav Novak)director Dusan Vukotic & cinematographer Karol Krska fluidly draw an enchantingly animated surreal atmosphere via quality practical special effects keeping all the children gliding on water to the island, which they land onto as Vukotic scans the island with panning shots following paper left on the island grow into trees. Mapping out the adults realisation of the disappearances,Vukotic takes their search to an absurdest level via radios ads using the lost children to sell sweets, and musicians attempting to match shells up. Sketching the children as whimsical thumbnail sketches, the writers give the fantasy a playful satirical side with political campaigns on the streets (at a time when Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia were ruled by commies) and self-important politicians finding themselves outplayed by kids on the seventh continent.