User Reviews (88)

• When I was a child, there were two main educational programs shown to children. Play School, being the other one, basically got me shouting at the television that I was not retarded, not stupid, and not a diminished human being, just a child. From what I've seen from observing some of my cousins' children, it hasn't changed a lot except parents have revised their opinion of its suitability for five year olds. Unfortunately, Sesame Street is going much in the same direction.

In the 1990s, Sesame Street had a rather nasty competitor in the shape of Barney, a purple dinosaur with a support cast that showed no difference in emotional response. Even when that support cast consisted of four year olds and fourteen year olds. As if that wasn't harmful enough, Barney would openly tell children they weren't good if they didn't have good feelings, or alter the rules of a game to make someone else the winner. That such "lessons" were allowed to be broadcast shows how useful the regulators of television really are. By contrast, the Sesame Street I remember even dealt with such issues as the death of a loved one. Goodbye, Mr. Hooper was one of the most amazing episodes of children's television ever broadcast because it made an effort to try and teach children about something so difficult that even live adults are often no help with it.

Other brilliant aspects of the show included using monsters to portray certain feelings or behaviours that the audience might be conflicted about. They had a cookie monster to show what a negative (but highly funny, the way they presented it) appearance gluttony can bring. They had a grouchy monster to show the effects of an anti-social mentality. More "cute" monsters such as Grover were used to show things like fear or sadness. There was a good reason for all of this. Negative feelings are difficult enough for a child to understand, so having puppets to thoroughly explain them was very educational.

Kudos are also due the adult cast of the show. During every episode I saw, even Goodbye, Mr. Hooper, the adults were never condescending or smug. They never acted as if they had every answer. Instead, they told the monster, other puppet, or child characters a few useful tidbits and let these characters work things out for themselves. Even today, if you see the sequences with such annoying characters as Elmo, it is the children or the child-like characters who deliver all the answer lines. Those consultations with child psychologists done by the Children's Television Workshop really paid off.

Unfortunately, and there always seems to be an unfortunately these days when it comes to children's television, a certain adherence to marketing over education crept in over recent years. The greatness of such characters as Oscar or Grover was that they could appeal to children without needing to be cutesy. Oscar was a grump who appeared to have worked too many night shifts, while Grover seemed to be just a fearful but friendly guy trying to make his way in the world. Perfectly normal, ordinary people wrapped up in some very bizarre-looking trimmings, in other words. Nowadays, characters like Elmo seem so awfully sugarcoated that it makes me wonder if his audience is going to encounter problems in later life when they learn they cannot get by simply on acting cute.

I don't know who pulls the strings on this show these days, but I would like to implore them for the sake of future generations. The old way of educating the children about the fundamentals of life, and letting the cute factor take care of itself, was a much better one. Please go back to it. I might not be part of the audience anymore, but I do have second cousins, and maybe one day a niece or nephew, who are.
  • This is a children's television classic. It's educational and entertaining, and not painful for parents to watch with their kids. At least it never used to be. It used to be quite edgy, high-brow, very adult-accessible. It's been dumbed down considerably over the years. This is a result of playing to lower age-groups, shorter attention spans, and competing with the run-of-the-mill trash in the kid's TV arena.

The adults have virtually vanished, the muppets have gotten annoying (I'm sure we're all familiar with Elmo by now), the show has shrunk to 40 minutes, the last 20 being a new show-within-a-show known as "Elmo's World". As if the 20 minutes of Elmo aren't enough, even more grating is that there are only about 10-20 episodes of Elmo's World, yet it runs every day! And rather than dealing with reading, writing, counting, nature, social skills, Elmo's World revolves around things like balls, puppies, hair, etc. Yes, this is not your parent's Sesame Street, or probably even the Sesame Street you grew up with. It's a more modern, simple, conformist Street that has considerably less charm but at least more educational value than the other, more commercial stuff out there.

The only reason to turn your kids on to television is rapidly shrinking into another Barney.
  • I title the review as "Rest in Peace" only because if you, like me, are a child born of the early 1980's (or earlier) that grew up with Sesame Street, then you know now, as you watch it with your children, either on Netflix or PBS in the morning, that the Sesame Street we grew up with is long gone.

In 1998, a muppet monster that had, for the majority of its lifespan on Sesame Street, been nothing but a background character with virtually no lines or significant appearances in the show's then 29 year history, became the undisputed center of the show. Over the course of the following decade, that character would continue to dominate the show, becoming its very face and voice. That character was Elmo.

Within a few years, the entire format of Sesame Street would change. Elmo's world started as a small segment of Sesame Street that aired every other episode. By 2004, Elmo's World became a full 1/4 of the show, airing every single episode. Appearance by favorites, familiar faces and mainstays of Sesame Street began to slowly phase out. Big Bird, formerly the face and "host" of Sesame Street was replaced in time by "Murray" who, like Elmo, was also a background muppet that had virtually no presence on the show in the 35 years leading up to his first appearance as host. Murray, like Elmo, dominates roughly 1/4 of the show with various segments. Joining Elmo early in the 2000's was Abby Cadabby, a feisty and rather irritating purple fairy that's a huge hit with girls. She has her own segment, comprising the 3rd 1/4 of the show, Abby's Magical Sky School. Murray, from the very opening moment of a Sesame Street show, immediately begins reassuring kids that Elmo's World will be coming up, "but we have a few other things to get through first". Ultimately, "Sesame Street" itself is now reduced to a mere 10 minute segment. The problem that is posed in the beginning of the show, once taking the full hour of the show to investigate, understand and solve, is now resolved in only 10 minutes (sometimes 15, but rarely). Occasionally, one of the familiar adults may show up, like Gordon, but its otherwise Elmo, Abby Cadabby and the dreaded "Beybah Baw" (Baby Bear), a talking teddy bear with an insufferable speech impediment. Likable, new adult characters such as Gordon's nephew Chris, and Alan, who both run Hooper's store appear often enough to break up the monotony of Elmo, Abby and Baby Bear's childish antics. On the rare occasion that a classic character will show up, such as Bert, Ernie, Big Bird or Snuffy, Elmo will make his appearance within minutes to take over the show. I recall watching an episode recently with my daughter in which Bert lost his pet bird. 3 minutes after this situation is announced, Elmo and Abby show up and take over the segment. Bert is not seen again, his bird is never found...the entire segment consists of Abby and Elmo picking up random objects and asking "Is this a bird? Is that a bird? Why isn't this a bird?".

Sesame Street, I fear, is simply TOO childish to be of any value to children at this point. When I was a toddler in the early 80's, Sesame Street helped me learn how to read, count, differentiate colors and shapes and objects...all things my parents helped me with, Sesame Street did too. It was truly a valuable educational tool. Now? We have Elmo running around his house like a lunatic, screaming at inanimate objects, displaying narcissistic tendencies by referring to himself in the third person and imagining himself as different animals and objects. His own house seems to hate him, as he is constantly yelling at his window shade to cooperate with him, and other objects, such as his desk drawer, repeatedly bash him over the head when he starts yelling at them. Where's the educational value in Elmo running around in circles yelling at everything?

Parents are strongly advised not to utilize "classic" Sesame Street (pre-1990) as educational tools, as they "no longer have any educational value and should not be utilized by your child." Very sad that this warning comes on the DVD box sets of pre-Elmo Sesame Street. Frankly, I'd rather have Gordon sing "Who are the people in your neighborhood" to my daughter, rather than having Elmo cannibalize the melody to Jingle Bells and repeat "Trucks trucks trucks, trucks trucks trucks" over and over again.

A silent uproar occurred sometime around 2010, when it was suggested by the show's producers (internally) that the show be renamed. It would have become something along the lines of Elmo's World (Featuring Sesame Street)) Thankfully, this never occurred, though it appears to have piggybacked off the movement to cancel Sesame Street entirely, which was proposed in 2003, in favor of making Elmo's World a standalone show. The dominance of Elmo over Sesame Street into the 2000's and 2010's only continued to grow, as more and more of the classic faces of Sesame Street faded away into nothingness. Cookie Monster and Big Bird seldom make appearances on the show anymore...sometimes going over a dozen episodes without seeing them. On the other hand, if you were to watch Abby's Sky School and Elmo's World each day for the 24 episode season, you'll have seen at least 18 reruns of each show, since there are barely a dozen segments filmed for both.

Sesame Street was great for our generation but for our children? I wouldn't recommend it. It hurts me to say it. My daughter loves it...she's 15 months, and she loves the characters. I'm not going to take that from her...but as she gets older I will due my duty as her father to make sure she is educated properly. Sadly, Sesame Street, in its current state, cannot be a part of that experience.
  • This was once one of the best shows for children to learn things from at an early age but now it's taken the turn of a ridiculous show to keep kids quiet while their parents don't pay attention. Then they complain about one of the characters and the show gets worse. Things that need to be changed:

1. Elmo- Get rid of Elmo, he teaches nothing and is very annoying. The only reason they added him was so they could make a doll that makes an irritating noise when you squeeze it then vibrates across the carpet.

2. Cookie Monster- Veggie Monster! what is that! Why can't Cookie Monster eat cookies anymore? Cookie Monster did not make kids fat, stupid video games made kids fat. Now stand back, ignore Sesame Street and look at the problem. Kids are not fat because they idolize a puppet, kids are fat because they don't have the common sense to put down the I-Pod and the Gameboy and go play outside. After all they don't need to go outside to play baseball anymore, not when they can sit on their duffs and do it on a Playstation.

3. Oscar the Grouch- I was really, really mad when I saw what they did to my favorite Sesame Street character. I need to keep this one short, for everyone's sake, make the Grouch, grouchy again, please he didn't do anything to us, he just didn't like to be around people and singing, what's so wrong with that?
  • I wrote in another review on this site about how I was born to a military family stationed in Germany, Land of No Cable (And the world's best chocolate, but that's another story.).

Anyway, one of the few kid's shows on TV that my grandparents didn't have to record and send over was Sesame Street, and the only one that was on the entire eight years we were there (Eureka's Castle was on for bit, but then one day it vanished. Same thing with Lampchops.). On my dad's side of the family, everyone had a Sesame Street character that they had a bond with (Dad's was Cookie Monster), and naturally, I followed the tradition by latching on to Ernie. Many a night I could be heard singing "Rubber Ducky" in the tub (I had two Rubber Duckies, but one got chucked because it got moldy, I think). To this day, I still hold Ernie dear to my heart (I even have a "Tickle Me Ernie", much, much cuter than "Tickle Me Elmo"!)

Not only did Sesame Street give me Ernie to love and make me laugh, but like everyone else who watched this show, it taught me to read and count. Then one day, this obnoxious bear showed up on Sesame Street, whining about Goldilocks stealing his porridge. I hoped he wouldn't be a permanent addition to the cast. Everyday, I'd turn on the set, and there he was, screeching in that high pitched voice of his. Soon, I stopped watching Sesame Street because I was so sick of Baby Bear. I was seven years old, and I had been watching Sesame Street for seven years.

Over the years, I did what all kids do, grew up. But about three years ago, I turned on Sesame Street again, and BABY BEAR IS STILL THERE!!! Not only that, some doofus gave Elmo a twenty minute segment, in which he spends most of those twenty minutes hopping around singing, "Dee dee da dee, Elmo's World!" over and over! And BABY BEAR IS STILL THERE!!! Horrible still, I hardly ever get to see my beloved Ernie and his Ol' Buddy Bert anymore. Worse of all, BABY BEAR IS STILL THERE!!!

So yes, Elmo may have ruined Sesame Street permanently (Unless God decides to raise Jim Henson from the dead), but for me, the death of Sesame Street came with the introduction of Baby Bear. So thanks a lot, you big throw rug! I hope the rest of the cast gets wise and turns you into a fur coat!
  • I think that Sesame Street, although it is a really good children's show, isn't really the same as it used to be. It hasn't been the same since Jim Henson died and it hasn't been the same since a lot of the characters have died or moved on. The people that have come and gone from this show are the ones that have been the best I've seen in a very long time. Now instead of recording new shows and going on without some of the major players in the show they just pasted together clips from old shows. I remember the days before Jim Henson died when Sesame Street was more than just a clip show. It meant a lot to the kids of my generation.
  • Can this really be the same show that dealt with the death of Mr. Hooper? I can't see them doing anything like that now. They used to count up to twenty. Now they sometimes go past ten. I even remember one cartoon segment where they went up to 40! I miss Mumford the Magician(ala peanut butter sandwiches!) and the honkers. I had a honker doll when I was little. Drove my folks nuts.

Please get rid of Elmo World! He doesn't even TEACH anything.('cept for that one PC Holiday Speacial) and as many others pointed out he's annoying and talks down to kids.

For people who tell me not to get upset over a kids show, I remind them that Sesame Street was a show parents could watch with their kids without being bored silly. The show had jokes that parents could get. and some awesome guest stars.

I have a feeling this show may be coming to an end. It will be replaced by Elmo's World in hour long form.

Farwell Sesmae we had great times together.
  • tbrime28 July 2006
    Though I am 33 years old, I have still found myself drawn to watch a minute or two of Sesame Street now and then. My daughter is 10 years old so her days of Elmo are long over but I find it a little sad that they have changed so much on the show. I remember watching the show every time it came on. My daughter loved it too. It seems too commercialized now and the characters have changed so much that you don't feel a connection to them the way that I did as a child. There was a feeling of being a part of "the family" even if you weren't actually there with them. I don't think that kids have changed so much that they wouldn't like it just the way that it use to be. I think what has changed is the junk that is on T.V. now days. Unfortunately, I suppose, poor old Sesame Street just couldn't compete with all that, and ended up having to make a few minor sacrifices here and there to draw the attention of the kids. I wish that for my Grand children's sake, though, they could find a way to go back to the Sesame Street that I remember and also be able to incorporate some of the new things.
  • This was one of my favorite shows as a child in the 70s. (Though my sister always preferred "The Electric Company" - if anyone remembers that.) So, naturally, I thought my own two daughters would love it. Well, at age 2-3, my oldest loved Elmo, but at age 4, she's long over both Elmo and Sesame Street - and she won't enter Kindergarten for two more years! So, I give the current show a 6. It's too inane for my 4 year old. As for myself, I was much older when I stopped watching. This was one of my favorite shows. I give the old Sesame Street a 10/10. Thus we get 8 stars overall.

When I do occasionally watch the new show, I miss Kermit, am dismayed that Snuffy is visible to everyone (where's the fun in that?), think Big Bird acts like an imbecile (was he always such a baby? maybe so), wish Grover and Cookie Monster and the Count got more face time, suspect that the current production team is trying to make Ernie and Bert seem gay, and miss some of the old segments. I think they should just stop producing new shows and start re-running the old shows starting with season 1. The ratings would probably go way up and they'd save a lot of money.

"Oh waiter! There's a fly in this production!"
  • I grew up with the Muppet Show, the Muppet Movies, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth and with Sesame Street, so I am a big fan of Jim Henson. I love Sesame Street, it may have meandered over the years but I still love it for the timeless nostalgic value it has given me. Heck, it is way better than Teletubbies, Barney and Tweenies combined, it is unique, it is original, it is funny and it is timeless. I love how it teaches simple messages in simple ways like songs and games. I love how the humour is funny and easy for kids to understand without being juvenile. I love the colourful set designs. I love the music, it is so memorable. I love the characters, Elmo, Ernie, Bert, Luis, Gordon, Susan, Bob and Big Bird. And I love the voices of Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Kevin Clash and Carol Spinney. Overall, Sesame Street is timeless, a timeless show if there ever was one. 10/10 Bethany Cox
  • I grew up on Sesame Street, as did many children, but in the early to mid 70's it was THE THING! I had a Big Bird toy, and loved to act like Cookie Monster when I had cookies, my brother and I played "Super Grover" on many occasions. Sesame Street is an old familiar friend and to this day watching an episode makes me smile and feel like a kid again. I can still sing the theme song word for word. *sheepish grin* My children had numerous video tapes of shows as they were growing up as well. I never knew about Elmo until I had children of my own, and I fell in love with all the new characters as well. I now realize that Sesame Street taught me to read early on, and count, and helped me deal with many other issues in life. I am 36 years old and I will NEVER outgrow my love for Sesame Street!! Long Live BIG BIRD!
  • Sesame Street really got a makeover for its 33rd season, mainly because of the competitive environment of Pre-School TV, and how they learn things in this day in age. The show is now blocked into these segments in order.

Greeting of the day: Big Bird and the Sesame Street neighbors' great the viewers and either tell jokes play a game and/or sing a song.

Monster Time: In this segment either shorts with the classic Sesame Street monsters are shown (Grover, Elmo, Rosita etc.) or a new feature called "Monster Clubhouse" in which four new monsters give preschoolers a crash course in what goes on in a typical preschool day.

Number of the Day: The Count hosts this segment (who else could do it better on Sesame Street) in which he uses a special counting organ to find what the number of the day is. The segment is followed up with live-action and animated sketches which help the viewers give a better understanding of the numbers.

Street Story: The story of the day is now done in one complete segment rather than scatted throughout the whole show as it was done in the past. It seems that preschoolers don't like things interrupted but other things and messages (commercials or not). The stories teach everything from cooperation, friendship, feelings, problem solving etc.

Journey to Ernie: Big Bird and the viewers play a virural reality game in trying to find Ernie who hides in a box that resembles his red, yellow, and blue striped shirt with his rubber duckie in front of it. The catch is it may not be the first or second boxes that contain Ernie. The game begins a park and when BB is transported to other virtual environments and perform certain skills in order to find the box (memory recall, singing a song, doing a certain skill etc.). If a box is found and does not have Ernie inside then a clip or segment is featured ranging from a special song or a kid that does something special, after which the game continues. When Ernie is finally found then a sketch and/or song with Ernie is featured (sometimes with partner Bert).

Hero Guy: If Monster Clubhouse was not done in the Monstertime segment, then we see a sketch with Baby Bear and his imagery creation Hero Guy, in which they both learn about art, imagination, and problem solving. Don't expect this to turn into a 'Big Bird's imaginary friend' running gag. For those who complain about outing Snuffy this segement gives a fantasy friend to Baby Bear, and he is not going to try to prove that Hero Guy is real.

Letter of the Day: Cookie Monster is given the honor of hosting this segment by showing cookies that have a letter on them. The problem is Cookie eventually gives in to his instincts and eats the cookie. The clips after Cookie Monster's attempt to teach letters will help viewers learn the sounds and recognition of the letters themselves.

Spanish Word of the Day: Rosita along with Grover, Big Bird, and others on the street teach a Spanish word in a way that can be understood.

Elmo's World: This guy should get his very own show and I am not joking. In the meantime Elmo encourages to learn about all kinds of things like Mail, Music, computers etc. Elmo focuses on one subject to help kids understand what Elmo is inquisitive about on the day's segment.

Some complain that Sesame Street is not what it used to be, but keep in mind its own show anymore. It's now for OUR kids, and Sesame Street is forever programming to 2 to 5 year olds. With some many shows for preschooler out their Sesame Street is one of the few survivors today and don't be surprised if it's still on for another 33 years teaching the basics of numbers, letters etc.
  • I always caught this show on television every now and then. The show was put together and written well and the people that was on show was good. I am surprised that this show has aired in TV for such and great length of time. Sesame Street was/is one of the most watched by the youngsters. The show would have like little teachings for them in various formats for them such as animated and such. There is some funny stuff on this show with Oscar, The Cookie Monster, Bert and Ernie. I would only recommend this television show to young kids unless the adults are interested in seeing the actors and the hilarious characters or if you want watch something you haven't seen as young boy or girl then this can bring memories back from the past make you feel like your a kid again. If that is the case then I recommend you watch this show!
  • I am 23 years old and I grew up watching Sesame Street. I love this show. It's so very educational but it makes it fun. I was probably eight or nine when my mom finally corrected me and told me that the real words to the Beatles song I often sang were "Let It Be", not "Letter B".

I have so many fond memories of this show. Hats off to Sesame Street's 30th birthday and here's to 30 more. This is a show that I want my children to be able to grow up with as well. I applaud and thank the cast and crew for their dedication to children.

Oh yes, finally, I love Elmo & Grover & Telly Monster & Cookie Monster & Kermit the Frog & Snuffie, & Big Bird & Bert & Ernie& Harry & yes, even Oscar the Grouch.

Sunny Day, everythings A- OK. Friendly Neighbors. That's where we meet. Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street.
  • I agree with the majority of the comments I have seen written. I grew up watching Seseme Street before a lot of the people who have written comments were even born. I was born in 1964, so I was 5-yrs-old when Seseme Street was introduced to television. The show taught me my numbers (The Count), spelling (the Muppet), and about life. I liked all the old characters (Big Bird, Oscar, Grover, and Cookie Monster) and don't quite understand why they had to change. I understand that everything has to change in some way, but to make Cookie Monster into a "veggie monster" to promote healthy eating. The show has introduced new characters and monsters since it's inception, why not make a separate "veggie monster" that talks/discusses the benefits of eating a varied diet with Cookie Monster. But, back to my point. I grew up watching the very beginning of Seseme Street, my now 20 yr-old daughter grew up watching SS with me along side her, and we discussed Mr. Hooper dying, although he had died prior to her being born, as well as other topics on the show. I saw the episode as a older child, and still remember how well they portrayed the event, much like real life. And I'm sure it hit the cast extremely hard as all deaths and losses effect families. You saw this on the show and it allowed parents and children to discuss very difficult events. The show has talked about traditional families, adoptive families and combined families. It's one of the few shows that actually discusses these scenarios. I now have a 5 yr-old daughter who really doesn't watch SS. I've tried to watch the show a couple of times, but, it really is not what it used to be. The Elmo 1/2 hr with Mr. Noodle is absolutely ridiculous. Like many people have said, it doesn't teach anything. It's geared for the less than 18 month old (maybe), and isn't even funny. I always prided myself on watching SS as a child, teen, and adult with my own child. Now on my second go-round, I really have a hard time watching SS. The topics that were discussed: death, marriage, non-traditional families, new to neighborhoods, moving away were related to children and adults in a manner easy for 2-99 year old to understand and relate to. Now, there are NO concepts taught, minimal counting, only the occasional mention of the alphabet. It is NOT the same SS, from an original watcher of the show. PLEASE if any producers from the show read these comments, return the show to its foundation. New concepts have never been a problem with SS, they just used to have a better way to incorporate them into the show.
  • I cannot understand in my wildest dreams why anyone in their right mind would have an incredibly annoying character like Elmo and that other one who is a bear with the speech impediment who always says, "Baby Beaw, Baby Beaw". Elmo has kids trying to teach a fish how to ride a bicycle???!!! It makes me so sad for the day of Big Bird and Bert and Ernie and Kermit. They talked up to kids and really educated them and spoke perfectly. They actually TAUGHT kids how to act! The show is horribly taken over by Elmo and that Bear and it is just sad to see. Jim Henson would be horrified with what this show has become. There was not any need to make drastic changes. It WAS PERFECT! Plus, the viewers who were 2-5 years, would outgrow them and there would always be a new audience. Back in the day, the parents would be entertained by this once great show. Not anymore. Elmo is horrendous. That whiney lisp has got to go. IT's as if the producers of Sesame Street don't want to parents to watch with their children. The above poster is so right when he said that Sesame Street has become nothing but an infomercial for Elmo dolls. He hit the nail right on the head.
  • The show has gone downhill over the past few years. Elmo ruined the show by killing off the other characters. Bert,Ernie,Grover,Oscar,Cookie Monster,Guy Smiley,Snuffy and Big Bird rarely appear on the show.Elmo,Zoe, Abby Cadaby and Baby Bear are now the only characters on the show. The stories are now awfully boring. Elmo is not a classic character. He is very annoying. Elmo is also just another way to boost ratings. Sesame Street is getting a new generation of viewers so the viewers won't remember any of the classic characters. Jim Henson would be ashamed of what his show has became.Sesame Street is not a show that is worthy to bother looking back at.
  • I myself watched this show when I was a little kid. Of course that was back when it was still a great children's show. I was born in the early 1980's so I have fond memories of the good times of this show. I loved Grover, Cookie Monster, Bert & Ernie, Big Bird, Herry Monster, Barkley the dog, those Aliens, the twiddlebugs I could go on and on! Then one day, a little red monster named Elmo came along, and became the glory hogging little muppet we know and hate today. As Elmo's popularity grew, old favorites like Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Grover, and Bert and Ernie were kicked to the curb, and Sesame Street went on to sell out, and fall apart. Not only that, but the age group that Sesame Street was aimed at was sent from the 5-6 year old range to the 2-4 year range thanks to Elmo. I hate Elmo so much! He talks like a baby, and ends up teaching kids how to act like babies which also leads to the fact that the show has dumbed down without a doubt. Not only that, he also stole the nickname of "the cute furry monster" away from Grover which is shameful. That's a shame because Grover talked up to kids, and made them feel important, while Elmo got viewers to act like babies, and talk down to kids. I was also angry whan they made Snuffleupagus visible to everyone. That's just not right to take Big Bird's right to have an imaginary friend away. It's like telling kids that Santa Claus doesn't exist. It destroys everything, and it was always cool to scream at the T.V. screen when Snuffy was there while saying "He's right there!" "Look don't you see him?" Another childhood memory crushed. It was sacrilage when they began to air the Elmo save christmas special instead of the Sesame Street christmas special with Mr. Hooper still alive (R.I.P. You ruled!). Let's face it: Ever since Jim Henson died, his son Brian has ruined the muppet franchise and everything it stood for. He would be apalled at what Sesame Street has come to if he was still alive to see it. It's shameful when someone dies like that, and their sucessor ends up ruining everything that the deceased person made that was so cool! I miss Jim Henson so much!! Why did he have to die?! If he was still alive this wouldn't be happening.

I give every pre sold out (and pre glory hog Elmo) episode of Sesame Street a 10/10, while every episode with that little jerk Elmo stealing the show a big fat 0/10.
  • I'm 19 and I can vividly remember having Sesame Street on most hours of the Day. When my brothers and I were kids, we had an antenna on our roof and were raised on public television. We grew up on 'Sesame Street', 'Where in the World is Carmen San Diego', 'Square One' and 'Mister Rogers'. I can cite things that I learned from Sesame Street, and my older brother and I can still recite the lyrics to the songs. I was even named after a Sesame Street Character. It is very near and dear to my heart and I am saddened whenever I see Sesame Street now. I remember the days before Elmo became the dictator of Sesame Street, and back when an episode ran a story from beginning to end. I could follow it all the way through, and it didn't give me a short attention span. I have heard complaints from parents saying that it's changed to relate to their children better. I know that times change, actors die or move forward with their careers, but it is possible to make a children's show updated for the current time without removing it's educational content and soul. Sesame Street was a show that our mother watched with us and from her adult perspective then and now, she even says that it's not what it used to be. Parents could watch many television shows with their kids and I'm afraid that that isn't as true as it was. Sadly, most educational television isn't as educational anymore.

I miss seeing Grover and Bert and Ernie and Monsterpiece Theater and to this day I hear Madonna and I still think 'Cereal Girl'. I'll always remember the days when Oscar was Grouchy and Cookie Monster could eat whatever he wanted. To the Producers, PLEASE rework the show. I worry about the futures of young children these days. There's still time to fix it. To parents, watch 'Between the Lions' and 'Arthur'. Even if it never changes, I'll never forget the good old days.
    Sesame Street--where to begin? Many different celebrities have appeared on the show throughout the years. I think that's what makes the show fun--all the celebrities making appearances. SS was very different back in the day. Some Muppets that used to be on were Forgetful Jones, Kermit the Frog, Prairie Dawn, and a few more I can't remember. There used to be a lot of segments with the Muppets sitting inside a gray room teaching children how to count, and learn the alphabet. One of my favorite is from 1972 with Kermit and a little girl named Joey. Kermit was trying to teach Joey the alphabet and she kept replacing the letters with "COOKIE MONSTER" which frustrated Kermit to the point of leaving, but then she said "I love you" and hugged him. I think some of my favorite segments are from the 70s, with Grover as the waiter in the restaurant much to the chagrin of this guy named "Fat Blue." Then there was an early one of Ernie trying to count some balloons. Then there was one of Cookie Monster in the library. Then there were some with Kermit and Cookie Monster. Then there was one with Ernie not being able to fall asleep and decided to count things in his head but they ended up being very noisy. Some of my favorite songs included "Telephone Rock" and "C is for Cookie." I haven't seen too many full episodes from the 70s but these are the only songs I know of. And there was that baker who kept dropping all the pies as he went down the stairs.

The 80s was probably my favorite decade . . . however there was some sadness. In December 1982, Will Lee (who played Mr. Hooper) died, and they made an episode teaching children about death and incorporated his death into the episode. Big Bird didn't understand at first and thought he was going to come back, but was told by the adults that he's not coming back which upset Big Bird plenty. On the positive side, the 80s SS had some really great songs, such as "Monster in the Mirror" (WUBBA WUBBA WUBBA) "Wet Paint," (used to scare me at the end when the screen would melt) "The Word is NO," "Healthy Food,"-a rap song sung by Cookie Monster and various healthy foods, "I Dance Myself to Sleep," featuring Ernie and the Boogeywoogie Sheep (I loved this one as a kid, lol) "Do De Rubber Duck," "Holy Moly 8 Balls of Fur," "Cereal Girl," and "A New Way to Walk." There were some great segments as well--such as "Teeny Little Superguy," and Kermit directing "Oklahoma," I don't know if this was the 70s or 80s but there were the segments of Bert and Ernie fishing, and exploring a pyramid in Egypt. In 1985 was the debut of the current star of the show, Elmo, the little red furry monster we all know and love with the orange nose. He was cute at first as a background character and in the occasional segment (he was in one with Julia Roberts, and another with Whoopie Goldberg) but in the 90s, he became the star. May 1988 featured the wedding of Maria and Luis, and May 1989 featured the birth of their baby daughter Gabby. It's fitting because it aired a few weeks before I was born and my sister who was 2 at the time watched SS so my family was excited. And they taught children about how babies are born.

The 90s . . . in May 1990, Jim Henson, the creator of SS and the voice/puppeteer of Kermit, Ernie and others passed away. They did find a replacement for their voices but it just isn't the same. The early 90s is the SS I remember the most. In 1992 Queen Latifah sang a rap song called "That's the Letter O" which is a favorite of mine. In 1996 Elmo became a huge star and the hot new toy at the time, "Tickle Me Elmo" went on the market. In 1998 Elmo got his own segment "Elmo's World," which takes up the last 20 minutes of the episode. I still think they should've just made it a spin off. The 90s was also the debut of Baby Bear, Baby Natasha, Rosita and Zoey--if not, they debuted in the 80s. I stopped watching in the mid-late 90s but I had cousins who were babies/toddlers at that time so sometimes I caught an episode here and there. We also used to watch the videotapes that were released--my aunt would run them for my cousins and that was fun. I can't remember any segments from the 90s because they mostly re-ran the old ones.

The 2000s--there were some major changes. Not only did Kermit the Frog and several other muppets disappear, but Children's Television Workshop was renamed to Sesame Workshop (and the little CTW on the SS sign was turned into 123) they had the same segments on the show every day--Journey to Ernie, Supergrover's Adventure, Number of the day, Letter of the Day, Spanish word of the day, and of course, Elmo's World. They even added that into the older episodes like the late 80s/early 90s. Also in 2005, it was rumored that Cookie Monster was being renamed to Veggie Monster because SS thinks his cookie-eating habit is one of the factors for child obesity. I think that is really dumb and nothing happened to us! They just made him eat healthier and even game him a new song called "Cookies are sometimes food." That's about it . . .

I hope if I have kids one day I will show them what SS used to be like. I know we're not the target audience anymore but it really was cool back in the day.
  • Fully agreed with the review entitled "A mere shell of its former self." Great entertainment in the 70s and 80s. Especially loved the little animated segments (wonder if those will ever be seen again). Now it's Elmo, Elmo and more Elmo. Nothing but stupid, freakin', screechy-voiced Elmo.
  • fenrir62229 July 2004
    Sesame Street is the show I do believe almost everyone born within the past 30 years has been growing up on. If it really sucked as bad as some people seem to believe, then it wouldn't be on the air anymore. Obviously, it's doing something right. Come on though, Big Bird was practically everyone's first teacher, even before they hit preschool. Elmo, Oscar, Cookie Monster, and the gang were there for everyone during their first years of life. People might say it sucks, but you have to remember it's for LITTLE KIDS. And for a little kid's show, it was great. It's not Teletubbies (thank god), and it isn't nearly as sappy or needless as some modern kid's shows. It flat out gives you the deal on numbers and letters and such, and in a relatively straight forward way. It's a bloody timeless classic.
  • Sesame Street has to be one of the best classic kids shows ever! i loved it as a kid, and use to wake up extra early every morning just to see it! they just don't make shows like that anymore. it doesn't talk down to and patronise kids like the shows do these days. there were so many different quirky characters that were so easy to fall in love with, like big bird and elmo and so many great songs that were catchy fun as well as educational. i'll always be a great fan of jim hensons work as his shows and movies were a big part of my childhood. even if sesame street is no longer on TV when i have kids, i'll still dig out the videos and show them how good kids TV used to be!

Bring back sesame street!!