User Reviews (34)

• I just caught a screening of this movie at BAM in Brooklyn last night. I only went because I was given free tickets and dig horror flicks, so with no expectations and my only knowledge being "it has an army of cats," this movie blew me away. I was totally entertained, alternatingly laughing and jumping throughout. The film is shot beautifully, has a great score, the dialogue crackles, and the cast perfectly walks the line between camp and horror. The vaguely incestuous scenes between Wylie and his Aunt Dani are particularly great.

Of course, the best part is the cats! I was promised an army of cats, and this movie delivered. They truly make the average housecat look like a fierce creature of the night.

A fun horror movie through and through. Please release this on DVD!
  • This is not a great movie but it still fascinates 35 years later. It is obviously influenced by Hitchcock's "The Birds" but it also seems to be inspired by Curtis Harrington's excellent "Games" from a couple of years earlier. ("Games" is influenced by the French film "Diabolique." They both star Simone Signoret.) And, in fact, the closing shots of "Games" and "Eye of the Cat" are very similar, but that is not the only similarity. In "...Cat" Michael Sarrazin attempts a kind of decadence achieved by Signoret in "Games." And there is more: Sarrazin and Eleanor Parker and company play mind-games with one another, just like the "Games." I don't want to give away the implied perversities of either movie, but there are plenty, and they make both Universal Studios films worth watching. I also won't give away the most memorable suspense sequence, filmed in ersatz Hitchcock, subjective style. If you see the movie, you will spot it.

Sarrazin's brother is played by a handsome guy named Tim Henry who apparently never made another film. Gayle Hunnicut is gorgeous in her 1960s ensembles and big hair. Judy Garland's 4th husband, Mark Herron, appears briefly in a silent role - an upscale hairdresser - during the opening credits.

The cinematographer on the film was Russell Metty who photographed lots of Douglas Sirk movies and you can certainly see his style. The main set of the movie, the foyer of a large home with a winding staircase, is very much like the main set in Sirk's "Written on the Wind" and Metty uses the foyer's mirror and a vase of flowers in the same way as the earlier film. And even though "...Cat" is set in 1969, it has that distinctive, slick, Alexander Golitzen/Universal Studios look.

I have a tape of "Eye of the Cat" that I got on television 20 years ago. Unfortunately, it is the "revised" version, with some scenes missing and a couple of small moments seem to have been added. The original film is not available on commercial tape or DVD. Sure would be nice to be able to see it again.
  • I saw this film back in India in the early 70s during its second run. I enjoyed it very much at the time and even now, looking back after over 30 years, I am amazed that this movie gets so little publicity. Other films that are less than half as good have long got a DVD release, but very few people seem to know of this one's existence.

All right, it is not a classic but is certainly good for Saturday evening. The plot of a sick, reclusive elderly woman living in a mansion with lots of money is nothing new; nor is the arrival of 'caring' young relatives hoping to find a place in her will. But the presence of some twenty sinister looking CATS seemingly guarding their mistresses' interests certainly adds a diabolical angle. Michael Sarrazin's unnatural phobia of the cats adds to the drama, as does Gayle Hunnicut's murderous nurse. There are some superb scenes like the aforementioned runaway wheelchair and the outstanding Oxygen Tent sequence. I hope someone has the sense to bring this film out on DVD in its original theatrical release format.
  • I saw this movie in the theater as a kid of 12. It really is a good mystery/suspense film with a nice performance by Eleanor Parker as the wheelchair bound mistress of the posh mansion and her hoardes of cats. Filmed in San Francisco. Lots of surprises in this one. The sexy Gayle Hunnicutt (who plays the nurse) was my fantasy for years after seeing this. Neat scene near middle of flick with Parker's chair careening wildly down a Frisco hilly sidewalk, a crazed cat in her lap. Would love to see this forgotten film released by Universal on DVD or at least VHS.
  • "Eye of the Cat" is an engaging thriller if you can overlook the stilted dialogue, the gaping holes in logic, some clumsy direction and just surrender to its cozy atmosphere. In scenic San Francisco, we meet several characters driven by greed, all of who will stop at nothing to get their share of a wealthy old lady's fortune. The action plays out in her hilltop home that's full of cats. If that sounds intriguing to you, then you're in for a treat. Among the main characters, Gayle Hunnicutt is the standout. Not just for her supermodel looks (big hair, short skirts) but for her expert portrayal of a cold, calculating opportunist. When she says to Michael Sarrazin "I'm not afraid of anything.", we tend to believe her. Hunnicutt should have become a bigger star; the right part just didn't come along, as it did for fellow Universal contract player Katherine Ross. Michael Sarrazin on the other hand, had a good shot at stardom, costarring with the likes of Jane Fonda and Barbra Streisand in hit movies, but as this film demonstrates, his acting ability is sorely limited and he's devoid of any real charisma. Even the totally unknown Tim Henry, who plays his brother, radiates more appeal. It's good to see old pro Eleanor Parker hamming it up as the object of everyone's bad intentions. She gets her star turn in the stranded wheelchair scene. Screenwriter Joseph Stefano (who also wrote "Psycho") created a Hitchcockian premise here without being derivative of the master. There are two versions of this film, one slightly less violent for airing on television (with a lot fewer cats), and neither version is available on DVD. A real shame, for this is nice, intelligent fun.
  • This movie was partially re-shot and re-edited for television, and that's the only version that ever turns up. I sure wish the original theatrical version would become available on VHS or DVD. I remember this as being a wonderfully atmospheric, creepy movie. I was shocked the first time I viewed it on TV, because I vividly remembered a climactic scene where Gayle Hunnicutt was descending a big staircase and being chased and overtaken by a virtual sea of cats running around and past her. It was a visually stunning shot. Yet, in the televised version, she was being chased by one (count it) ONE solitary little kitty! It looked ridiculous, and you had to assume she was running based on some intense phobia, which isn't really established earlier in the story. This is a little gem, which deserves being restored to its theatrical release version.
  • Just saw a beautiful theatrical print of "Eye of the Cat" for the first time last night at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Most of the reviewers have already said what I wanted to say, but I wanted to mention my favorite part of the movie: the menacing and evil music whenever they show the main cat. The cat is just so adorable that when combined with the macabre music it just comes off as laughable. Aside from some campiness, this movie is entirely engrossing and was amazingly shot - the opening De Palma-esquire split-screens are fantastic and San Francisco has never looked so beautiful. It's a crime that this movie isn't on DVD!
    This Hitchcockian horror tale is something of a little gem.A hugely enjoyable romp,which is extremely well made,featuring some scary and horrific moments,but also blessed with some wickedly funny black humour.The performances in the film are good.Michael Sarrazin is enjoyable as the laid back nephew with a cat phobia,and Gayle Hunnicutt is deliciously evil as his scheming girlfriend.Among the films twists and turns theres some great moments,and a nailbiting climax that has *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Sarrazin in a cat induced catatonic state,and Hunnicutt terrorized by a pack of vicious felines.The film also has the best ever cat-fight in cinema history,between Hunnicutt and Sarrazin's ex-girlfriend.Purrfect!
  • You won't know who to root for, if anybody, in this Hitchcockian caper film, which seemingly pits Gayle Hunnicut and Michael Sarazin up against Hunnicut's Aunt in order to steal her fortune -- or does it? And what is it all really about anyway? The location camerawork in San Francisco is terrific. And, Linden Chiles scores highly in a key supporting role.
    "Eye of the Cat", an excellent, very intense film, has suffered from bad reviews as a result of the two versions that have been floating around out there (see alternate versions). Would love to see "Eye of the Cat" in its original theatrical version as it was intended, which featured a black cat and dozens more feral felines (stunning and scary). The tame version which ran on television used a beautiful orange tabby (not scary at all). Although I have to say the orange tabby gave a ferocious performance in the oxygen tent scene. Note: the lobby card that shows Gayle Hunnicutt in a bloody white dress is only found in the theatrical version. That's as much as I'll say without being a spoiler, because you really have to see this cool, hip, shocker from the 60's. Eleanor Parker, Michael Sarrazin, Gayle Hunnicutt give great performances. There is an air of sophistication and glamor throughout. Exciting direction, cinematography and editing. Hitchcock-meets-Curtis Harrington-meets-Ross Hunter. This is a must see! Universal Pictures, when are you going to break into your vault and release this one on DVD? Purrrrdy please!!!???
  • Eye of the Cat started in such a stylish and impressive fashion I thought I was about to witness something really quite special.

It tells the story of a man approached by a mysterious woman with a plan to kill his wealthy aunt for her inheritance. However the man in question has a serious phobia of cats and his aunt has a house full.

The idea is actually great, I loved the concept and it all looks fantastic and way ahead of its time. So what went wrong?

Animal cruelty certainly took place in the making of this movie, not an opinion but a blatant observation that I couldn't get past.

The great cast, solid story and originality were all made null and void as I just couldn't get past the animal treatment.

Should have been great, but they should have treated those cats better.

The Good:

Gayle Hunnicutt

Very stylish

The Bad:

Totally unnecessary cat death

There is no way animal cruelty didn't take place in the making of this movie

Things I Learnt From This Movie:

Brothers are okay drying each other after a bath

Climbing is the logical method of escape from cats
    "Eye Of The Cat" is also know as "Wylie". I do not like the name Wylie.I cannot imagine Michale Sarrazin as a man named Wylie.Not in a million years!"Eye Of The Cat" was filmed on location in beautiful San Francisco, and that aspect gives this movie a terrific quality.Universal Pictures made this movie and you can tell.The color and the cinema photography are gorgeous.Universal films especially in the 1950s had gorgeous color.The cast is excellent.You have Gayle Hunicutt who is not that well known, even today.She was a real beauty,sleek and gorgeous like Barbara Parkins.You have the versatile, handsome actor Michael Sarrazin who was under rated as far as I am concerned.My favorite actor in this movie is the drop dead gorgeous Eleanor Parker.I have not seen a movie yet that she did not excel in.Remember Eleanor in some of the earlier Hollywood era movies with leading men like Robert Taylor.This movie has it all.Suspense,lots of scary cats,a nutty older aunt,and lovely to look at San Francisco scenery.I almost forgot, a cat fight between two women!I have this movie.I have the version that has multiple cats chasing Gayle Hunnicutt's character down the stairs.
  • nickrogers196930 December 2009
    I finally got to see this late sixties thriller. I love films that reflect those times. "Eye of the Cat" is like "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" set in swinging San Fransisco, with the old lady in a wheel chair in the old style mansion and the young beautiful people out to get her.

The plot does not deliver, though. There's no suspense since the plot is confusing and the characters actions do not make sense. The plot twist can be seen a mile a way. It's odd that they filmed the movie when the plot really isn't that good. The main characters fear of cats is never frightening and almost silly!

It's too bad "Eye of the Cat" is too unbelievable and predictable because the premise seemed promising with such appealing actors. Tim Henry as the repressed younger brother is quite good.

The best thing with this movie is gorgeous Gayle Hunnicut who always was drop dead beautiful in her films. She was hot for a while then she seemed to disappear from films. Too bad, she could have been a star. She was involved with David Hemmings at the time which may account for her mix of American and British accents. The camera doesn't do her justice here as she seems to stand a lot in the shadows, but there is almost enough views of her in fab sixties outfits!
  • A very interesting plot.Is the hero of the plot in it for the money or is he really an ok person?I saw this film in my late teens and have overall seen it about five times enjoy it on every viewing.Like most films because it has some complexities and twists and turns keeping you guessing all the way the first viewing really stuck in my mind.Well worth a watch,unpredictable in my opinion.Again why is this film not available especially on DVD?
  • I like this movie for the views of San Fransico (at least one street view) without it being chase scenes (somewhat like Vertigo), unless you count the electric wheel chair breaking down and rolling down the hill with the invalid aunt in it and the nephew chasing after it to rescue her; and there must be an inside joke at the beginning, with the "cat fight" between the female star and another girl.

Thomas J. Bates
    I loved this film! I've seen both versions and I own both versions interesting to see the differences. Just to let u know I have a DVD with theatrical cut and TV cut and theatrical trailer all one DVD great quality. It is a severely underrated film that sends chills up and down spine and Gayle Hunnycutt is awesome!!! The story line is quite simple but the acting is really where it gets you. And if you're afraid of cats STAY AWAY there are PLENTY loll especially in the theatrical version! For instance the theatrical cut has MANY cats giving Gayle her just do! In the TV cut there is one. However the TV one has alternate scenes which, If you are a fan of the fantastic film, you will be quite interested in seeing. I especially love movies like this that barely rely on any blood but the Words and the tension of the story build up the terror. I've definitely given This film a 10 and I feel it definitely deserves it !
  • From the initial frame, this film has class written all over it. With all respect, this film has one of the best and imaginative opening credit sequences I've seen. The silhouettes of the prowling cats with the double exposure process set the perfect mood for the film. Then into the split and multi-frame sequences. The director David Rich uses this technique flawlessly. It was like watching a living comic.

Luckily, for the viewer, Rich isn't afraid of trying different styles and methods. He films the story beautifully. Using varying camera angles, lighting, and colour to their maximum effects. The scene where Kassia, Gayle Hunnicutt, steals into the aunt's bedchamber is deliciously superb. The upward angle in combination with the amber glow from the table lamp illuminates Kassia's face and intention perfectly. There's a myriad of similar scenes throughout the movie.

One thing that stood out to me was the colourisation. Everything is so vivid, rich, and lush. The grass isn't greener on the other side - it's greener here. I loved this. Most director's film horror in dark and shadowy tones, especially wishy-washy greys and grey-blues (yawn). This is more than a breath of fresh air, it's an adrenalin shot in the arse which I wish more filmmakers in the genre would take. Rich illuminates the nighttime scenes and gloomy rooms exactly right. You can distinguish shapes, people, and colours.

David Rich should be very proud of this film. Doubly so, as he also sets the pace of the film excellently. Slowing down and speeding up at the right time, dependent on the atmosphere he's creating. He is also very adept at handling different genres. His comedic timing is spot on, though it's only here to elicit a smile and not a guffaw. His action sequences are decent too. The cat-fight is awesome. It's chiefly the actor and actresses in the scene who are responsible. Jennifer Leak as Poor Dear doesn't hold back any punches, scratches, or hair-pulling. I literally felt sorry for Gayle Hunnicutt in this scene.

I always thought Michael Sarrazin should have been a bigger star than he was. That said, he's not the strongest member of the cast here. However, it might be because of the strangeness of his character, Wylie, itself. It makes it hard to relate to him, which is a shame as he's the lead. Gayle Hunnicutt gives her best performance I've seen to date. But the best cast members are Jennifer Lean, though you see little of her, and the oh so beautiful and sensuous Eleanor Parker as Aunt Danny. She oozes lust, want, and need whenever her nephew Wylie appears. It's uncomfortable to see this incestuous infatuation.

So why isn't it a perfect film? Well, let's talk story.

Here are the elements. A broken and dysfunctional family. A long-lost love - a nephew. The chance to steal a fortune legally, via a change in aunties will. A cold-hearted plan to kill auntie. A twist within a twist. And possibly supernatural cats. There's a lot to weave into the story and writer Joseph Stefano nearly pulls it off. However, it's this closeness that disjoints the story. Stefano should have either left the supernatural side alone completely or dived right in. His "On The Fence" stance only adds a hesitation to the whole proceedings, especially the ending. This is the only real drawback to the film, which is slight and shouldn't deter from your enjoyment too much. It didn't with me.

Hence, I highly recommend this to lovers of thrillers & mysteries and fans of supernatural chillers. Should you be a wanna-be filmmaker then you too should check out this title. This shows what movies can be when you use imagination, structure, and ingenuity.

Ratings: Story 1.25 : Direction 1.75 : Pace 1.5 : Acting 1.5 : Enjoyment 1.5 : Total 7.5 / 10

Prowl on over to my The Game Is Afoot and Killer Thriller Chillers and Monstrous and Absolute Horror lists to see where this purrrrrrfect little film charts.
  • Eye of the Cat is a suspense mystery in the spirit of the films of Alfred Hitchcock, mainly Rear Window and Vertigo, but with a supernatural turn that recasts The Birds with housecats. See it on video or cable, not on broadcast TV in the USA, because broadcast sometimes shows the network-TV version which has a different, more rational plot and only one cat!
  • Joseph Stefano concocted this rather haphazard suspense yarn about a mercenary young woman in San Francisco who reunites a wealthy, dying woman with her beloved ne'er-do-well nephew in order to get her hands on the inheritance money. The plan gets off to a shaky start after the nephew, who harbors a paralyzing fear of cats, discovers hundreds of the meowing creatures in his aunt's manor. The felines are well-trained, and the film has an OK production and cast, but the story fails to add up. Stefano wants surprises and plot twists, but the scheming people we meet aren't really very exciting or interesting. A couple of shock scenes (particularly a well-staged one involving Eleanor Parker trying to make her way up a steep incline in her electric wheelchair) give the picture some much-needed flair, however the resolution is cloudy and the whole tale ultimately pointless. ** from ****
    Joseph Stefano (who wrote the script for PSYCHO), is responsible for this script which is fine until about mid-point when the story starts to fall apart. He drops the theme of terrifying cats for awhile and then has them emerge once more just for the rather hokey climax.

But it's stylishly done. You can feel Brian dePalma's influence on director David Lowell Rich right from the opening montage of cat stalkers against colorful backgrounds. There's a stately elegance to the home of the rich wheelchair bound widow (ELEANOR PARKER), a home where she is presumably being protected by numerous felines roaming around freely. She needs protecting. Seems her hairdresser (GAYLE HUNNICUTT) is scheming with Parker's nephew to kill the woman and get a hold of her inheritance which she threatens to leave to the cats unless she is able to locate her missing nephew.

It's a good little thriller with some edge of the chair moments that grip the audience, but none of it seems too plausible with stilted dialog and overly melodramatic moments that seem terribly contrived.

For suspense and the compensation of watching Eleanor Parker in one of her latter day roles, it's probably worth viewing. Just don't expect anything on the level of PSYCHO.
    ***SPOILERS*** Terrifying film set in San Francisco literately about this cat-house that as hoards of feral cats lead by an orange tabby protecting their master the bed ridden and suffering from emphysema Aunt Danny, Eleanor Parker, from her greedy and murderous relatives that are out to do her in an gets their hands on her millions. Headed by Aunt Danny's cat hater, and he has good reasons to, nephew Wylie, Michael Sarrazin,who together with his girlfriend Kassia, Gayle Hunnicutt, plan to get Aunt Danny to leave her fortune to Wylie and write her beloved cats, that are in the hundreds, out of her will.

There's also Wylie brother or is it his cousin-I'm not quit sure- Luke, Tim Henry, who also want's to get his hands on Aunt Danny's money but feels that murdering her isn't the right way to do it. He just feels that the old bag doesn't have much time to live anyway with almost 3/4 or her lungs destroyed and is more then willing to wait it out. It's Luke who somehow gets all the cats, over 100 of them, in his car and drives out into the country letting them loose. But somehow their leader known as "Top Cat" the orange tabby stayed behind to protect his master Aunt Danny from Wylie and Kassia's plans to do her in.

***SPOILERS*** It's when Wylie was struck numb by "Top Cat" popping up on him or on his bed that Kassia went out on her own to do in Aunt Danny only to be stopped by a hoard of cats, the ones that Luke seemed to have gotten rid of, led by "Top Cat" showing up to stop her. Trying to escape from the what seemed like the ferocious man eating cats Kassia ended up falling to her death after slipping off a 20 feet ladder by losing her footing on it. the shocking ending had Wylie-whom we thought was killed and eaten by the cats-show up and come clean with his so-called fear of cats in that he in fact used them to do his bidding for him. In having them get rid of both Kassia and Luke by keeping them from shearing Aunt Danny's money with him!
  • Rainey-Dawn11 December 2019
    Ailurophobia is the fear of cats - our star, Michael Sarrazin, has got it badly. This is one of the better movies where our feline house cats are made to look fiercely deadly to humans. Give this film a try -- really good.

• As I was watching this movie there were many moments when I was a bit embarrassed with the quirkiness of this film and some of the expense fell short but something something seemed unique about this movie - some vague feeling of charm which is probably thanks to the cinematography and setting throughout the movie (which takes place in California).

This movie is definitely not a classic and I will tell you why. Eye of the Cat mostly fails at allowing the viewer to ignore an incomplete plot and poor dialogue and still enjoy the character of the film as in many other low-budget, cult horrors of the era.

Take Halloween (John Carpenter's) for example. Despite obvious flaws that would take away from the suspense or movie's plot, the film overcomes these flaws by introducing traits that revolutionized horror. Eye of the Cat does not do this effectively and often misses the mark in terms of suspense.

That being said, the film was alluring in an interesting way and the way in which the film was shot helps keep this film from dropping to a 3 or 4 out of 10.
  • GOWBTW29 January 2019
    What extreme measures should one must go to inherit a fortune? For Wylie(Michael Sarrazin), he would result to murder. His aunt is being cared for by Luke(Tim Henry), who happens to be staying with her. Kassia(Gayle Hunnicutt) works at a salon when the aunt gets her hair done. One day, a cat sneaked into the salon, and caused the aunt to have a breathing problem. The aunt happens to suffer from emphysema. So Kassia goes out to find Wylie, and gets him ready to see his aunt. However, he is very reluctant because he has been suffering from ailurophobia(The fear of cats). So when a cat comes near him, he instantly freezes. He and Kassia make there way to his aunt in order to change the will. The reason why is she was about to give the money to the cats. But who is the one who wants to have the aunt killed off? This movie is really a chiller. Whoever made it did a very good job. I enjoyed everything in it, very much. It's a real gem there. 5 stars!