• For the longest period of time, I couldn't understand the appeal of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". Having caught the occasional episode every now and then, the series struck me as being somewhat "ordinary" in nature. However, at the beginning of 2002, I began to watch the series on a regular basis, right from it's first season and found to my surprise, what a funny, insightful and entertaining sitcom it was.

Mary Tyler Moore deserves kudos for her portrayal of Mary Richards, a ground-breaking character who was allowed to be her own person (a rare thing for female characters on television in those days). An intelligent, independent young woman in her 30's, whose wasn't "hung up" on not being married, and enjoyed her life and her career. The rest of the cast also deserve mention for their memorable performances. Ed Asner as the gruff, yet lovable Lou Grant (Mary's boss at WJM-TV), Valerie Harper as the sharp and sassy Rhoda Morgenstern (Mary's best friend and next door neighbour), Gavin Macloud as the witty & thoughtful Murray Slaughter (Mary's fellow work mate at WJM), the late Ted Knight as the self absorbed and talentless Ted Baxter (who "anchored" the news in more ways than one at WJM-TV) and Cloris Leachman as the flighty and somewhat over-opininated Phyllis Lindstorm (Mary's other next door neighbour and friend).

The show was fortunate enough to benefit from first rate scripts from talented writers such as Jim Brooks & Allan Burns (both of whom created the series), Treva Silverman, David Lloyd, Bob Ellison and Ed Weinberger.

Along with solid direction from vetran TV sitcom director Jay Sandrich (of "I Love Lucy" fame), it comes as no surprise that the series was both a critical and commerical success during it's seven year run on US television from 1970 to 1977. The show also benefited from later additions to the cast such as Georgia Engel as the sweet natured, yet rather naive Georgette Franklin (who was introduced into the series as a love interest for the idiotic Ted Baxter) and Betty White as the conniving & man-hungry Sue Ann Nivens (host of "The Happy Homemaker" show at WJM-TV). On screen, she is the image of domestic knowledge and bliss, but once the camera's have stopped rolling, she is a woman on the prowl, striking at any man within distance (single or otherwise) who grabs her fancy!!. Earning a whole swag of Emmy Awards, the show was highly praised and rewarded for it's stellar efforts. I recommended those who are unfamiliar with the show to watch the series from the beginning, to appreciate and understand the nature of what it's all about. The humour is natural and witty (unlike many other sitcoms where the laughs are either forced or over-the-top). The characters grow and change over the years (once again unlike many other comedy shows), and the series itself contains it's own warmth and natural charm. Check it out and see why this lady can still turn the whole world on with that smile ...
  • As a 25-year-old woman, it's a shame that the so-called "feminist icons" of my day have been klutzy, man-hungry ninny Ally McBeal and tabloid wench Paris Hilton. I've really come to envy women who had real feminist heroes, real or fictional, such as Gloria Steinem, Bea Arthur as "Maude", and, of course, Mary Tyler Moore as Mary Richards. "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" isn't just an excellent sitcom with perfectly realized characters, but it featured an imperfect but winning heroine that any woman could look up to. Mary was a sweet-natured thirty-something who alternated between being high-strung and confident. She happily lived alone and had a loyal gal pal in smart mouthed New Yorker Rhoda (the incomparable Valerie Harper). Mary also was an associate TV producer at the low-rated WJM news network, where she had the respect of her male co-workers, including her arch-conservative boss Lou Grant (Ed Asner), wisecracking but tender-hearted work buddy Murray Slaugher (Gavin McLeod), and buffoonish anchorman Ted Baxter (Ted Knight). Not that everyone loved Mary... she constantly had to deal with her insufferable, overbearingly perky landlady Phyllis (Cloris Leachman). When Phyllis was written out of the show, WJM's "Happy Homemaker" Sue Ann Nivens (flawless Betty White) replaced her as Mary's foil. Passive-aggressive and sex-starved, Sue Ann was a hilarious combination of Blanche from "The Golden Girls" and Harriet Nelson. Best of all, the show had running gags that somehow never went stale: Mary's tendency to attract the wrong men, her disastrous dinner parties, Ted's slips of the tongue on the air, Lou's annoyance at being the lowest-rated TV network, and Rhoda's quest for the perfect husband. An addictive show that didn't wear out its welcome in its seven year run, "MTM" is a shining example of great writing, fully developed characters, and perfect casting that has never been equaled. It was a show with spunk... we need spunk!
  • As i am writing this review (February of 2011), i have been watching all the episodes of the MTM show nonstop actually for some time now although i m just midway through season 5. I live in Greece and although we do love our US TV shows here too, Mary Tyler Moore was not exactly our icon through the 70's especially if you consider all the problems my country was going through at least up to 1974. I m 31 now (born in 79), and i ve known of MTM for quite some time and was always aware of the show and had heard from a lot of American friends and the web of course that the specific show was somewhat of a TV legend or a "sacred cow" especially for the people who watched it while it was on the air, and you know what?? I couldn't agree with them more! I LOVE THIS SHOW! i cannot find one thing that i don't like no matter how hard i try. i ve been laughing or at least smiling nonstop for 5 seasons now something that has happened (to me at least) only with a couple of shows p.e. Friends, Will and Grace. The feel of it, the look, the theme song, the opening credits, the characters, the actors (OMG!), and of course the writing. Quick, sharp, very very funny and with some subtext in a lot of cases considering the era! One thought that has occurred to me is that Mary Tyler Moore is the least egocentric actress in her or any other lifetime. I ve never seen an actress as famous as her, with her own show by the way, that didn't at some point sooner or later become obnoxious or cocky or have the writing serve her look or status. (God bless her but Lucille Ball take a bow!) Concluding i would like to say that it is incredible for a show to stand the merciless test of time (40 years!), and in 2011 i m proud to say that i d watch reruns of the MTM show any day than spend time watching some trash reality show about putting your hand in a box of cockroaches with order to win money. and you know what? i might just make it after all !
  • This was my favorite show of the 1970s. I loved this series from the first time I saw it in 1970. This was a show that had it all. Humor, pathos, great scripts and great direction. The initial cast was one of the best in television history. Along with incomparable Mary we had Valerie Harper, Gavin MacLeod, Ted Knight, Ed Asner and Cloris Leachman. Each one of these performers put a unique spin on characters which were allowed to be three-dimensional and grow. After a few seasons, when several of the main characters were spun-off into their own series, new characters, such as Georgette and Sue-Ann were introduced. Geogia Engel as Georgette was sweet and adorable, and Betty White, as memorable man-trap Sue-Ann were marvelous in their parts. A true classic that bears multiple viewings.
  • Monika-515 October 2000
    I always enjoyed The Mary Tyler Moore Show. The characters were all funny, especially the goofy fights between Ted Baxter and Murray Slaughter. Lou Grant ("I hate spunk!") was always good for a laugh, especially the episode where he ended up drunk on Mary's doorstep!

Of course, the real two stars of the series were Mary Tyler Moore (duh) as Mary Richards and Valerie Harper as her best friend, Rhoda Morgenstern. My all-time favorite episode is the second one, where the two host a small gathering at Mary's apartment for two potential suitors, and everything goes wrong!

A true classic, and it earned every Emmy it got.
  • This truly was one of the first ensemble driven situation comedies in the history of television. Even though Mary Tyler Moore was the star of the show, the fact was that the series truly revolved around her relationships with not only her friends at home, but her friends on the job and when those two worlds collided, sparks usually flew. Also, this show was really funny when Valerie Harper was still on the show playing Rhoda. She and Mary were polar opposites (Mary the cheerful optimist and Rhoda the angry cynic). However, those differences was what made their relationship shine. Cloris Leachman was also perfect as the over bearing Phyllis Lindstrom. And lets not forget the other characters; cynical Lou, the optimistic Murray and, of course, dimwitted Ted Baxter. This show definitely one of the all time classics and made Saturday nights worth staying home.

Another interesting fact about this show is the fact that it debuted during the final season of the original series about a single woman trying to make it, "That Girl". However, while Ann pretty much was still an innocent little girl at heart that had a boyfriend and often still relied on him and her parents to get her out of jams, Mary Richards proved that she could be single and live her life on her own terms.
  • Right up there with the Dick Van Dyke show, in fact directed by some of the same people, this is another great sitcom. It seems they come along once a decade or so, and this is definitely a great one. Mary Tyler Moore is the newly liberated woman at work, dealing with all the same sexist stuff she dealt with in 1961 on the Dick Van Dyke show, but in a totally different way. The supporting cast is marvelous, from Ed Asner to Valerie Harper (as 'Rhoda') to the irrepressible Ted Knight as the vain news anchor. Hysterical stuff.
  • The backstory: Mary Richards moves to Minneapolis, MN, specifically into an apartment with a sunken in living room. She applies for a job at a local television newsroom with high aspirations. The show not only deals with situation comedy, but with how a woman could "make it after all" in a male dominated workforce. Mary becomes close with her newsroom family, from tough-love boss Lou Grant to bumbling news anchorman Ted Baxter. She also deals with wacky neighbor Phyllis and of course, wise cracking Rhoda. The show is great because you care about all the characters and while funny, it can still deliver a strong message. Truly one of the best shows on television.
  • "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" is absolutely my FAVORITE television show of all time, with "The Dick Van Dyke Show" falling a hair behind. I love all the characters of the MTM show...they all had great lines, and those actors knew how to deliver. Mary Tyler Moore exemplified true sportsmanship in making this whole show a wonderful example of COMPLETE ensemble acting. Every character had his/her shining moments, time and time again. I was about nine when this show debuted, and truly grew up with it. I used to hate Ted, because he was so unbelievably stupid. However, now that I've spent twenty or so years in the work world, I have had the complete displeasure of working with Ted Baxters everywhere....so many who rise to their level of complete incompetence. And over the years, in watching reruns, I have come to fully appreciate Ted Knight's genius in his portrayal of Ted Baxter. The episode in which Mary is simply feeling completely down in the dumps...her motivation is gone for no apparent reason, other than the fact that she has hit a slump (a "new apartment" episode). Ted Knight's portrayal of Ted Baxter imitating her in her slumpy condition, and repeating the whole scene with identical dialog but with a completely different attitude, basically showing Mary that she has to appreciate what she has in life, and look at it all with a different, positive perspective, was sheer comedic genius at its finest.

The final episode of this series portrayed my comment about Corporate America very realistically, and the episode itself is one for a time capsule....just bottle it up. Ditto for the "Chuckles the Clown" episode...and for the "Veal Prince Orloff" episode. Actually, I'd love to put all of MTM's episodes, along with those from the Dick Van Dyke Show, in a time capsule and send them into space. Nick at Nite should run episodes only from MTM, the Dick Van Dyke Show, Bob Newhart, and The Wonder Years. That is all that that station needs, and I'm sure that the ratings would go through the roof. But back to Mary....her show was a brilliant gem that graced the world of American television, and no other show will ever hold a candle to it....EVER. Yes, Seinfeld was funny, and "breakthrough", in being a show about nothing, and it even offered phrases that entered our vernacular. But it missed the one key element that MTM had in spades...heart. The Seinfeld show, as funny as it always was, really never made you cry or pulled at your heart strings...ever (other than maybe making you cry from laughter). The MTM Show, on the other hand, combined humor, drama, reality, the absurd, the sublime, and a lot of warmth all rolled into one magnificent, shining, seven-year love-fest for our pop culture, and I thank Mary for giving us this bright light. In a comic strip that was published I believe just the Sunday after the last episode aired, a man was depicted throwing his television set out his window, crying. The cartoonist captured the national sentiment quite beautifully. I miss Mary and her gang to this day. Thank goodness for the complete DVD set.
    "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (or, TMTMS,) debuted in September 1970. Despite MTM as it's star and some very talented supporting characters, CBS did not like the idea of a young woman who was single-by-choice as a lead character. The show was given a poor time slot, and early reviews from test audiences and critics were less than favorable. So one may say it's odd how 7 years later (when the show aired it's final episode in March 1977,) it was one of the most awarded and critically acclaimed show not only of the 1970s, but of all time.

The first season is a shaky one for many (it happens to be my favorite.) Mary Richards, a 31 year old single woman working as associate producer for the fourth rate WJM news, is finding her footing in Minneapolis. What she lacks in confidence she makes up for in beauty --- never has MTM or the character of Mary Richards looked more beautiful with her long raven hair, mini skirts and dresses, and knee high boots. Many of the early episodes focus entirely on Mary, and while the scenes at her home were flourishing, the scenes featuring her at work were... well, a bit boring. This season can also be noted for showing Mary and the gang in the most settings (restaurants, dental offices, extracurricular clubs, outdoor shopping malls, house parties etc.)

By the second season, the writing had improved, although the first season *can* boast more memorable episodes. Nevertheless, the show strikes a finer balance between Mary at home with the wisecracking, pudgy Rhoda and the cultured, but snooty Phyllis, and her life at work with sarcastic Murray, dimwitted Ted, and the tough but lovable Lou. Was the second season better? From a critical point yes. But it's fresh appeal didn't match that of the first season.

It was the from the third season onward that things really were on a roll. The show was now a bona fide success (coming in at #10 in the Nielsen ratings for season 2,) thus giving the actors and writers a little leeway with the studio in terms of creative control. We see traces of "All in the Family" in this season as several TMTMS episodes deal with controversial issues like equal pay for woman, homosexuality, divorce and infidelity, birth control and premarital sex. But unlike "All in the Family," these episodes and points were deftly written and sensitively acted... it was a rare treat to see a point made without pushing it down the throats of viewers.

The fourth season was about the same as the third, although things got a bit steamier in the office with the addition of Sue Ann Nivens, the dimpled but slutty host of WJM's "The Happy Homemaker." Another character had been added as well - the soft-spoken but surprisingly intelligent Georgette, who becomes Ted's love interest. This was also the last season to feature Rhoda as a main character before she left to star in her own sitcom.

The fifth and sixth and seventh season were a change from the first four. With Rhoda gone, the writers had no choice but develop Mary into a more street smart, confident character. Her evolution can be seen throughout the first four seasons, but without Rhoda she had no best friend to ask advice from or talk about her dates with. She was now completely on her own and responsible for her own decisions. In the fifth season, she's promoted to the role of PRODUCER of the WJM news, a position few women held in the real world at the time. Another major development was the move she makes from her warm, stylish bachelor suite into a modern mid-1970s one bedroom high-rise. While her new home wasn't as 'cozy' or 'cute' as the first, it represented the financial and social gains she had made over the past six years.

The series would end in early 1977, just as television was pulling away from smart, adult- oriented comedy to a raunchier, sillier, more direct sense of comedy. The show essentially could have aired for another year, but the producers and MTM herself decided to go out while still on top. It's one of the few shows to air for such a long period of time and never experience any real decline in quality - a testament to the craft and talent of everyone involved in the show.

But TMTMS was more than just excellent comedy. It was a glowing testament that proved that a woman (or a man) could be in their 30s, could be single, and still live a productive and successful life. Somehow it disproved the fact that you were weird if you weren't married and didn't have a kid by the time you were 30. Whether MTM knows it or not, there's a whole generation of men and women who decided to go out and find themselves, get a career, and develop themselves as a human before rushing into a marriage and having kids. Taste is personal, but I feel safe in saying that no show has since done so much for it's viewers than TMTMS did. Some may be funny, some may be groundbreaking. But no show has ever made it's viewer feel less alone and more confident in themselves as working professionals and human beings than TMTMS did. And for that, I am grateful.
  • Mary Tyler Moore - a great comedic actress & a great long running sitcom. This show was incredible. The writing always seemed to set up funny situations. The pace of the show was just perfect.

Where & how did they get so much talent in one cast? Besides Mary, there is Gavin McCloud who is brilliant as Murray Slaughter. Ed Asner is the same as Lou Grant, Mary's boss. Where did they find Ted Knight? Ted Baxter is one of the great send-up characters of all sit-Com's & Knight played him brilliantly. Knight made it big with this series, went on to his own series, Too Close For Comfort, & also scored big in the original CADDYSHACK.

Then, the is Rhoda & Phyllis who spun from here into their own series. While their series were not as good as this one, they definitely contributed to this one. Let's not forget Betty White as the indomitable Sue Ann Niven. This show was good enough to her, & she played her character brilliantly. This was her springboard for Golden Girls later. She is even better than this.

Not only did Mary turn the world on with her smile, she widened the world a lot by introducing a lot of great character actors in their best career roles. This show could be touching & sentimental at times as well. This show has it all.
    When I tell people ,what I'm about to tell you here,they look at me and go "You can't be serious!" "You're kidding right?" or "No way!" What it is,is that before this summer,when "Me-TV" came to channel 7.2 here in Phoenix,I had literally in my 43 years of living,had only seen "10" episodes of this series!

Why? Well,from 1970 to 1977 I was only age 2 to 9,so it was beyond me then (I did see the opening credits but that's all.) In 1980/1981,the show was rerun here in Phoenix & I saw only the pilot show,and about 4 others. The film then was scratchy with lines and age & the sound was terrible. It was then gone from local TV here for 20 years & I had no cable.

Fast forward to Aug. 2001,and I caught 5 shows on TV Land (at 6am!) on my apt. complex's clubhouse TV. Got to see Ted & Georgette get married,Lou's apt. get decorated badly by Rhoda,Murray shove Sue Ann into a big cake and Chuckles bite the dust and the finale.

Now,2011. Ten years later,thanks to ME-TV having the show on 5 nights a week (formerly 7),I'm finally getting to really appreciate what a fine work of sitcom art this show was and still is. Some humor might be a touch dated but it's still funny and in terms of Ted Baxter,just downright hilarious.

Mary Tyler Moore made the seamless transition from wife Laura Petrie to independent professional woman Mary Richards. (4 years between helped also.) Mary is not just this but also holds very natural human qualities and frailties as well. This makes her character 100% likable and relatable. Not just to women but anyone. I love her in the early 1970 Christmas show where she has to work alone at the station on Christmas Eve.

Rhoda is the perfect counterpart & friend to Mary. The two compliment each other greatly on screen. Behind the scenes and on the show,the chemistry of friendship is very real. Seems too bad in a way that they took her to her own show but people watched that too.

Murray is delightfully sarcastic to Ted and a great friend to Mary and Lou. Lou Grant is the epitome of the boss but with a heart (despite trying to hide it). From Show #1,Ed Asner made it apparent what his character is all about.

Ted Baxter (the brilliant,late Ted Knight)is a pompous,egotistical,self loving egomaniac with the maturity of a high school boy . He's also a blundering buffoon on the air. As only Ted Knight could have played it. Why Georgette loves him is mystery but as she said,"Someone has to" .

Georgia Engel is fantastic here too. I always did like that unique voice of hers.

You gotta love & hate Betty White as Sue Ann Nivens "The Happy Homemaker". Always pretty much on the make for Lou and always acting like a perfect 1950s TV housewife who escaped from a TV,only to land in 1974.

Part time character Phyllis (also got her own series) is one half snob and second half know it all. Before Sue Ann,she also had a tendency to needle Mary about her single status and sense of style.

Even though I've now only seen about 50 of these shows,I can honestly see why it won so many Emmys in the 1970s. Every actor is true to their character and every character has the "real" or "human" side to them,that makes them likable. Yes....even Ted Baxter.

Anyone who feels this is "not" a classic,does not know all that goes into making a sitcom. Not just making it funny but making it believable to the audience (and the critics). The actors have to believe themselves as these people as well and for what little I've seen,it's all A+ acting,writing and producing & great comic timing.

It may have started 41 years ago and ended in 1977 but quality (in any form of entertainment) never goes out of style. 10 stars for the whole cast and crew,bravo....and Meow. (END)

Edit : On July 2nd,2012,finished viewing all shows on DVD.
  • Okay, I'm a guy and I was in the 9th grade in the fall of 1970 when this show came out. I wasn't interested in it because it was geared toward women ages, 30-45 (or so I thought). By the mid-1970s, when I was studying business in college, and bored to death with homework, I'd channel-surf looking for something to watch on TV. Occasionally, Ms. Moore's show would be on, and with nothing else on TV to watch, I'd tune in. And you know what? I was never disappointed. Not once. Later, when "Rhoda," and "Lou Grant," were spun off, I watched those shows, too. Again, I was never disappointed. These shows were great and I wish we had the same kind of shows now. I'm so sick with modern-day TV, I had my cable disconnected a few years back and I only watch these kinds of shows. Thank you Ms. Moore, Ms. Harper, Ms. White, Mr. Asner, Mr. McLeod, and the late, great, Mr. Knight for some of the greatest shows in the history of TV, and R.I.P. to Mr. Knight. You get 10/10 from me.
  • preppy-35 June 2008
    I never caught MTM when it was originally on. I didn't watch much television and the idea of a sitcom about a single woman had no interest to me. Then, after it was cancelled, a local TV station started showing two shows a night, back to back, and I started watching. At first I wasn't impressed. The early 70s fashions and hairstyles were horrific, the acting uneven, the topics dated and Moore occasionally overacted. But, as the series progressed, the writing got better, the cast got more comfortable with their roles and Moore toned it down a little. I still don't like the first season too much. It does introduce us to all the characters but it just seemed kind of forced. Also it was somewhat sexist. At one point Moore actually does Lou Grants' laundry! OK OK--his wife had left him but still... After the first season though the series picked up speed and just got better and better. It also showed a single woman living alone and liking it--a rarity for TV on those days. It even hinted that she had an off screen sex life. It also found humor in some taboo subjects. When Chuckles the Clown is inadvertently killed in one episode they actually made his death seem funny! Supposedly (according to Moores' autobiography)no one wanted to do it and some crew people were "sick" the week it was filmed. That episode went on the win a few Emmys and is considered a true classic. Also Moores' character got more liberated--especially during the last season. She got a steady boyfriend (Ted Bessell) and, at one point, gives him a long passionate kiss right in front of Lou Grant, Ted Baxter and Murray Slaughter. It all ends perfectly in the last episode. No one was killed but everybody (except for Ted Baxter) is fired and they all leave the office singing! A true classic of TV. Well worth seeing.
  • Flups2118 October 2007
    Seriously! 30+ years later you still have to reference this show when discussing the Great American Sitcom. And, this is it. After all of these years, there is nothing quite Mary as Mary. No show has ever been better casted than this one. Each and every character was nailed to a tee by the actor/actress chosen for his/her role. Could Mary been played by anyone other than Mary Tyler Moore? Ted Baxter by anyone other than the late Ted Knight? Lou Grant! By anyone other than the oh-so-perfect Ed Asner? Murray? Gavin MacLeod pre-Love Boat! Rhoda!!!! Could anyone have nailed this better? Thank you Valerie Harper. No other faux-Jew could have matched you.
  • Even if you weren't born when this series aired, you have to see it.

Watch is all. It's the gold standard...Period.

There is no equal when it come to sophistication, timeliness or relevance. Mary Yyler Moore is genius...just watch and you'll agree. It's not that she invented the genre, giving that credit to Lucille Ball, but she embodied it like no one did and no on one has ever since. The characters are so much more defined and dimensional than any that have been written since; not that there haven't been some able attempts (Murpy Brown and Designing Women come to mind).

Mary, Valerie Harper and Chloris Leachman top them all....week after week, consistently superlative (credit to the writing staff as well as the actors who embody the scrips.)
    I saw the first episode when it first aired in prime time back in September of 1970 when I was nine years old. And I remember really enjoying it.

At the very end, I thought the MTM cat was the most amazingly clever thing I had ever seen (as a kid, knowing it was a take-off of the MGM lion). I kind of fell in love with Mary (of course we all did) especially as the series and episodes went on. Like I said, I truly believe that this was one of THE greatest shows ever on television (very likely the best). Everything clicked: the acting, the choice of actors for the show,the characters they were chosen to play, and most evidently and importantly, the incredible writing. And what wonderful, sophisticated writing it was. I really can't remember anything "dumb" or silly in this show. It never once insulted my intelligence (or attempted to insult anyone's).

The characters in the cast became very much like old friends to me, and I guess to most people. Almost like family. Why couldn't we know people or work with people like this?

An episode of special note regarding exceptional writing and direction: The one where Mary is so tired of trying to find a suitable man to date or have a relationship with, that on Georgette's advice, she asks Lou Grant out on a date. This was the next to the last episode of the series, by the way. I believe that most people who remember this episode will agree with me that it was one the best ones of the entire show.

Unfortunately, there aren't any more sitcoms on prime time T.V. today that can compare to this comedic gem.

And Mary, you'll always turn the world on with your smile!!
    Still the greatest show on television since the movie Grease. Mary Richards is a character she plays, its not really her. Gary Tyler Moore is a character I play, its not really me, it is but I don't think anyone can pretend and be that happy. The costumes for The Mary Tyler Moore show are incredible, if you see Mary Moore walking around town and she always is you never know who she is. Shes doing about 200 shows right now. Right now what were doing is dropping the vocals for The Gary Tyler Moore show so you hear that full orchestra, that who can turn the Ruins the track. We may even have redo a lot. Im from Ventura California man I was born to drive. Valeria Harper who plays Rhoda is not getting any worse, but shes not getting any better, mary has diabetes. Ashley Malmen who was slated to play Rhoda, was killed by a drunk driver two years ago. That turned my shoes black. Well look out for Mary, cause she maybe standing right next to you.
  • schaap949521 March 2012
    Okay first of all, I hope you liked my cheesy pun. Secondly, I'd just like to say how completely amazing this show is! Seriously, I'm a teenage boy, so I hadn't even heard of MTM until my crazy grandma brought it up after I mentioned my new obsession with "The Golden Girls". After she summarized the show, I was ready to watch the reruns on TV... unfortunately I couldn't find a single channel that had the show until I somehow stumbled upon it on the MeTV Channel yesterday. After watching the episode, I was mind-blown! I've never seen a show so well-timed, classic, and overall appealing in my life, and after I'm done writing this review, I'm off to watch the episodes I've recorded on my DVR. Cheers
    Mary Tyler Moore was such a nice sweet woman. She was always thinking about others and trying to please others. She was naive, but she succeeded in a man's World. She started out as a secretary, but made it as a television producer. The pilot episode is a classic. She meets her new boss, Lou Grant, a complete grump from the traditional manly, man World. He is fierce, crude, and brutally honest. At first you are terrified of Lou Grant. Once you get to know him, he is really a nice guy. Don't say that to his face, though. Ted Knight makes the show. His character Ted Baxter is a lovable, pretentious, dolt, who thinks that he is actually competent. Then there is Rhoda. She is obviously from out East, and is more vocal than the average Midwesterner. I really think that this show was one that showed a woman making it in the man's World, but doing it with a lot of class. Perhaps the best episode was when Betty White's character was cheating with Cloris Leachman's character's husband. Betty White's character insists on continuing the affair, so Mary Tyler Mary says that she will let everybody know about what she is doing. That ended that.
  • I have always enjoyed good TV and nowadays I feel a pleasure to lay down on the sofa and watch a good old TV show instead of "rubbish" stuff. Maybe for that reason I often looks for new shows I've never seen before. One of them was called "La chica de la tele" in Spain (=The girl on TV). I have heard wonderful comments about this show so when it runs again on Spanish TV 30 years after its original transmission, it was my chance to discover the truth.

Oh my, they were right. 30 years later and it still makes me laugh. It was a surprise to see Lou Grant as a comedy role. I am a big fan of Lou Grant series and seeing Ed Asner now was the best present I have received in years.

Buy the DVD's and you won't regret. I just hope Rhoda and Lou Grant also will be released soon
  • My all time fav sitcom is THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW altought I'm only 16 I love the show and the whole group of characters....lou , su ann, rhoda, ted, murray , georgette, mary , bess, marie,pyllis(EVEN HIS NEVER SEEN HUSBAND).

The show defined the REAL sitcom ...A+ writers, producers,directors and the whole cast made "MTM" the cat' meow.
  • This is a classic, one of my favourite television series of all time and surely one of the best sitcoms ever. Mary Tyler Moore is absolutely brilliant in her portrayal of the vulnerable and incredibly endearing Mary Richards, who embarks upon a career as an associate news producer in a small Minneapolis TV newsroom. Of course she was so compelling that it became difficult for her to shake the part and embark upon other roles. To most viewers, Ordinary People and other ventures notwithstanding, Mary Tyler Moore will always be Mary Richards.

Mary's relationships with the other employees in the newsroom and also her apartment neighbours make the series. The assorted newsroom characters include her gruff & cynical but lovable boss, Lou Grant, the friendly & witty news writer, Murray Slaughter (with whom Mary enjoys a genuine camaraderie), and the absurdly vain & egotistical news anchor Ted Baxter, who cannot pronounce anything properly and invariably makes a complete fool of himself both on TV and off. The banter between Mary and her boss, Mr. Grant, is especially hilarious and the mutual respect & affection touching.

Ed Asner masterfully portrays the news room boss, Lou Grant, with Gavin MacLeod playing the likable Murray Slaughter and Ted Knight the idiotic Ted Baxter. Later regulars include Georgette, Ted's friendly but naive blonde wife, and Sue Anne Nivens (Betty White), the annoying, man hunting domestic diva and star of the TV station's cooking program.

Mary longs for romance but meanwhile has close, dependable friendships not just at her job but also at home. She has an adorable bachelor apartment with a sunken living room. Upstairs in the attic apartment of this Victorian style house is the colourful, wise cracking Rhoda Morgenstern, played to perfection by Valerie Harper. The dialogue between the two is always priceless. Daring but cynical, Rhoda is the exact polar opposite to the more timid but always cheerfully optimistic Mary. Downstairs is the overbearing, irritating Phylis Lindstrom, played by Cloris Leachman.

Mary was something of a role model for the independent single career woman of that era. She had her trials and insecurities but invariably managed to cope on her own. Not only that, but she's always such a genuine lady. This series with its focus on friendship as opposed to romance is infinitely superior to the programming of today where the plot lines of the young career women tend to revolve around sex, often with a different man practically every night. These screenwriters could learn a little something from the Mary Tyler Moore Show writers about class, humour, character development, and relationship portrayal.
  • We thoroughly enjoyed the video release of the "Complete First Season" and hope there will be more. Also included was a documentary about the making of the MTM show featuring interviews with the cast and crew. Will someone please tell my why there has to be distracting background music during an interview? The audience that is interested in what people have to say in an interview situation does not want nor need to be entertained with background noise which only distracts from the interview itself. I and many of my friends believe that there is entirely too much noise in most movies today. A really good story, or interesting commentary does not need to have music constantly behind (and sometimes over) it.