User Reviews (1,399)

• Few films are as sensational or infamous as Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange". It's impossible to sit through ACO and not have a reaction; whether it be shock, disgust or amazement. The savage tale of a brutal young droog and his subsequent "reformation" by the government is as shocking and thought-provoking as ever.

While the film's depictions of violence and sex are what it's most known for, ACO works on far deeper levels. The disturbing portrayal of youth and its satirical depiction of a government's attempts to create a better society are brilliant, but the most fascinating aspect of ACO is the questions it poses about good and evil. While the crimes Alex commits at the beginning of the film are atrocious, what the government does to him is worse. The film presents the absolute worst aspects of man, but shows that even these are still favorable to a man without the choice. People can denounce the film because of its brutal content, but the importance of the questions it poses can't be denied.

Equally excellent to the film's content is the effort by the crew. Kubrick's perfectionism pays off well, as ACO in one of his most visually striking films. Malcolm MacDowell is nothing short of amazing as Alex. Kubrick's use of surreal imagery and set pieces, as well as the ingenious use of music to compliment the on-screen action, creates a world that perfectly reflects the protagonist's behavior and the government's policies.

A Clockwork Orange is by no means an easy film to get through, as many will be turned off by the scenes of violence and rape. But this masterpiece is far more complex than a simple romp through a world of youthful violence. It's a rare example of film-making that demands that the viewer actually think. Real horrorshow all around, Oh my brothers.
  • It's hard to judge a film such as this. Its cold and hard, yet can be exhilarating and sarcastic. It can be average, yet it can be visionary. Exploitive? Satirical? Too many questions to consider when one watches this film.

Even after 34 years, this film still speaks volumes about our current culture, which many ideals are ringing true today. The younger generations are out of control due to lack of parental control, junk culture is becoming commonplace, violence is desensitizing the masses, and we all seem to be enjoying the ride on the way down. It's very difficult to find movies which can make such startling commentary, yet hold on to such accusations for an extended period of time. Nowadays, films are focused-grouped to death, conformity is more powerful than artistry, and money is far more important than quality. Kubrick took a huge leap with this film, challenging society to take a hard look at itself. Unfortunately, society wasn't ready for this film, which is why it is revered now more than ever.
  • I would say that the movie is really a gem of an art piece. The use of excellent imagery coupled with pretty out-of-the-place background score tells us about the uniqueness of this movie. Stanley Kubrick has really applied a lot of thought into this.

The director wants the audience to feel something as bad not because he is showing it as bad but because it really is bad. The background music accompanying the ultra violent scenes is comical, and not dramatic or anything else that is commonly associated with such scenes. This gives the viewer an opportunity to feel the bitterness not because the music hints so but because he himself feels so. Viewer's emotions should arise irrespective of what the director is trying to show, and this is one of the greatest successes of the movie.

Another glorifying feature is the central idea of the movie. If a human is striped of the choice to choose from good and evil, he no longer remains a human, he becomes a clockwork. When Alex is brain-washed and "programmed" to choose only good, he wasn't accepted by the society and this shows the irony in the objectives of the British Government. The word Orange from the title presumably comes from the word "Ourange" that loosely means man. And hence the title is so appropriate to the movie.

The artificiality in dialogues and sets give the movie a unique feature and enhance the grip on it. This also means that the viewer has to get more involved. This is definitely one of the best technically shot movies, another masterpiece of Kubrick like the Space Oddessey.

For the uninitiated, set in near future Britain, the movie shows Malcom MacDowell as the head of a group of youngsters involved in sexual violence. Turn of the events leave the protagonist in the hands of the police. Worried by the growing number of prisoners the British Government devises a method of "programming" them so that they always choose the good. Alex is chosen as one of those on which the new system is to be tested. The rest unfolds as a saga of the very human characteristic.

Lastly, I would like to say that you may be compelled to leave the movie in between, but if you are watching it for art and cinematic experience, I recommend you to sit through.
  • ickyptang29 February 2000
    Stanely Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" is one of the first movies that proved that cinema can be the most enlightening and amazing art form around. Movies have always been a true love for me, but it wasn't until this film challenged me that I fell deeply in love. The first viewing left me speechless, unable to describe how weird and terrible I felt. I thought it was the film that left me in this mood, so of course that was the easy target to blame. It was just a bad movie, overrated and stupid and a waste of time. But upon further thought, I realised the film did exactly what it was supposed to. It showed how the world can be a weird and horrible place, and how this young man who goes around torturing people and being a wicked person ultimately doesn't have to pay for what he does. And it's funny too. So this film brilliantly satirises this world, showcasing pure evil and people who ordinarily do not perform such evil are forced to laugh and observe what we all hate to admit is the truth. It's sick, but at the same time brilliant. And when one gets down to the core, you can't really explain it. It just is what it is. It's real. No one really sees it very often, but it is out there and everyone knows. And no one does anything about it. In essence, "A Clockwork Orange" is the ultimate satire, and one of the ultimate film experiences. It's art, it's life, and in a funky way, it's entertaining.
    To say that the Alex character from Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" is unlikable is like saying the Manson family was sort of bad. He's not just unlikable; he's despicable, terrifying, sick, twisted, and ultimately a haunting embodiment of all our greatest realistic fears and worries. But Alex does not see himself as a sick person. The key to this is in his voice-over narrative.

Alex does not see himself as a pervert, just as we do not see our own flaws and Ramond Babbitt did not see his own autism. To us, we are all normal, which is a scary thought.

"A Clockwork Orange," which was originally released in 1973 after an appeal for an R rating (that was granted after originally being tagged as an X-rated motion picture), had been banned from Britain for close to thirty years. Most film fans in Europe will tell you that they had seen the movie on grainy bootleg videotapes years ago when they were young and curious.

But for those of us lucky enough to enjoy (or squirm through) "A Clockwork Orange" in its entire odd splendor, it is an experience you are likely to never forget. Its characters, its style, its subject matter, its explicit material--all of it combines to create a marvelous whole that will stay with you long after the credits stop rolling.

Essentially a tale focused on Alex's journeys in jail and his process of being re-submitted to the world after inhumane treatments to cure the evil out of him, "A Clockwork Orange" is indeed as offbeat as its title.

All tales of redemption involve characters that we gradually come to appreciate, or like, or--at the very least--learn to tolerate. Not "A Clockwork Orange." Our narrator remains the same throughout the movie, always an incarnation of everything wrong in today's modern world. He goes through no cleansing process and by the end of the film we like him less than we did at the beginning. That's daring.
    Stanley Kubrick has a way of telling stories about violence without actually exploiting them, or going into exaggeration. In DR STRANGELOVE, OR HOW I STOPPED WORRYING AND LEARNED TO LOVE THE BOMB violence as war was discussed, overheard, never truly seen until the final reel when a flurry of atomic bombs exploded into bright mushrooms as the song "We'll Meet Again" lovingly played in the background. In 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY Hal-9000 terminates an entire crew in a most chilling way and all we see is a computer screen indicating the termination of life. Now, in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, Kubrick actually brings a story about violence, and even then it is art directed within an inch of its life.

Alex DeLarge is the leader of a band of 'droogs' who move from location to location terrorizing their victims, putting them under outrageous acts of violence. When two of his 'droogs' refuse to follow Alex's path of destruction, he turns on them and beats them, until an act of reversal turns against Alex and he is brought down by the medical industry who decides to "reform" his heretofore sociopathic tendencies. One he is cured, an interesting chain of humiliating events that bring Alex even farther down ensue: he is, for example, now attacked by his very ex-mates, now policemen, and his ex-victims. Sometimes the cure is far worse than the illness. Karma is a bitch.

Kubrick has a particular way of visualizing his films. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE has a look and feel completely out of its time, closer to sometime in the future, and its torture sequence in which Alex is regenerated also looks straight out of a science fiction movie. However, this is not a science fiction film. It's actually quite difficult to categorize CLOCKWORK because it's something of a social satire, something of a drama, has comedic moments and deconstructs a musical for a horrifying rape sequence; however, its approach to the material gives it the feel of a hybrid out of time, out of place, but visually arresting and impossible to take for granted. It's this approach that makes the work the product of a master of direction -- it can be seen multiple times and every time a different perspective arises, and all one can be left with is with the notion that this is pure, ultra-modern cinema.
  • A disturbing but yet very beautiful piece of film-making, Kubrick has created the ultimate study of mind manipulation in this film. It is a protest against reform programs that take away freedom of a choice, and the message of the film in terms of paying for one's sins in all eternity is inescapable, evident to a large extent in the sardonic nature of the tale. Although set in the future, it hardly feels like it is, this being because the message of the film is overwhelmingly powerful and capable of applying to any age. The film has a number of possible hidden meanings to it – a feat equaled on scale only by Kubrick's former film '2001: A Space Odyssey'. Besides for the meaning behind the film, there are still the marks of a masterpiece. Kubrick's direction is superb alongside the good photography, capturing shadows and angles needed to establish tone. The editing is excellent too, done in a flashy, brainwashing style at times to have relevance to the film. The choice of cast is again inspirational, however the film achieves the most in terms of music. Kubrick manages to use one of the earliest forms of art, classical music, and give it an unforgettable style and importance in the film. It is truly a difficult task to explain what is so great about a film such as 'A Clockwork Orange' – it is maybe best explained by watching the film itself.
  • i just saw this movie about a day ago, and it completely blew me away, namely the main character, protagonist, hero? Alex. we love, hate, and or just plain utterly confused about how we feel of Alex. Alex is the greatest villain ever because he is ourselves, he is the worst of ourselves. hes the deep dark place inside you that rises to the surface eventually, and then pushed down just as fast because it terrifies you. the way Alex stares into the camera in the first scene just freaks me out, he has a little smirk on his face that seems to say you may hate me, but you'll never be rid of me, because there can never be good without the bad, and i am the bad.
  • A Clockwork Orange is the finest film that has ever been made, in my view. Stanley Kubrick has made so many masterpieces, and is by far the best director that ever graced our world. A Clockwork Orange is simply his finest hour!

The film grabs you and glues you to your seat from start to finish. Malcolm McDowell gives us a shining example of superior acting, and the movie is as perverted as any of Kubrick's masterpieces (and then some!). It contains horrifying violence, extreme emotions, perversity and weirdness at it's very worst. It all boils down to serve you a plethora of thoughts for you to take with you and contemplate, after the film ends.

However, with all the perversity bursting out of this film, you will probably NOT like this film the first time you see it. I know I didn't. Fortunately, I gave it a second chance, and thought: Hey, it was actually not bad at all. After the third time, I was lost for words.

After the fourth time, there was little doubt in my mind, that this was the finest film ever made, and regardless of how many great masterpieces I see, A Clockwork Orange still towers above them. I'm sure you'll agree, if you give it the chance it deserves, although it may require for you to see it more than once.
    A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971) ****

Starring: Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Michael Bates, Warren Clarke, and Adrienne Corri Written and Directed by Stanley Kubrick 137 minutes Rated R (for strong explicit sexual content and rape, perverse nudity, brutal violence, and some language)

By Blake French:

Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" holds the recent record of being the number one film of all time on my charts. The film is everything that you'll never want to watch. The scenes are disturbing, gut wrenching, mind twisting, and way over the top. In result, "A Clockwork Orange" has the most powerful and overwhelming dramatic impact that I have ever experienced in a mainstream film.

"A Clockwork Orange" is the story of a young man named Alex DeLarge, who is, by day, a regular student who lives with his parents at home, but, by night, a homicidal rapist/killer with his accomplices who dress up like demented clowns at a bleak freak show. He and his buddies weasel their way into the happy homes housing innocent people by chanting the same deceiving phrase every night: they scream that their friend has been critically wounded in an accident near by--and plead to use their telephone to call for help.

For a few unfortunate souls, this devious trick proves to be successful in nature. One night, however, a woman known as "The Cat Lady," refuses their plead, and calls the police in suspicion. Alex, being both smart and sneaky, somehow manages to break into this perverted woman's home, while his accomplices wait outside. Once indoors, a fight begins. A struggle featuring a sex toy owned by "Cat Lady," one that not only causes panicked arousal, but also is featured as the weapon of her graphic and disturbing murder. Alex quickly flees the scene once the police sirens reach his shaky ears, but when he gets back to his pal's waiting outside, they return their experiences with him by bashing him over the head with a hard object, allowing their jumbled escape, but his certain demise.

After the process of being sent to prison, Alex grows to learn to tell offices and guards what they like to hear. He reads the bible, is never involved with any major fights or complications, and almost volunteers for a new kind of experiment. An experiment so probationary it is still being tested and held under wraps. What it does, though a series of "sessions," is cure a violent individual from his sickness; he will feel terrible pain if involved in any sort of violence after the medicine takes place.

The scenes involving the "cure" of Alex's disturbances are truly emotionally troublesome. They are so explicit and detailed that I myself felt tempted to look away from the screen at points. This is not a film for those who are prone to walk out of movies, those who are easily offended, or especially for those with week stomachs. This is the most grizzly enumerated film I have even screened, but it happens to be one of the most perfect and precise in message. I definitely don't recommend the production to everyone, though.

The soundtrack to "A Clockwork Orange" is one of the most inspirational and spirited ones I have ever heard; right up there with the turns to "The Graduate" (1967). Although the actual music is far from fitting each individual scene, the overall presence is not only worth listening to, but also worth the purchase price.

Here, a young Malcolm McDowell explores the character of a lifetime with vivid imagination and tremendous description. His character fits him very well as an actor. Even though the character is meant to be despised, I couldn't help but to be very convinced and interested in his sick, demented, psychotic mind. Most of this is because of the flawless point of view the film contains, one that both provokes empathy and involvement. It investigates the mind of a killer, rapist, and a confused, somewhat harmless, adolescent--all existing in the same character. This is no doubt the character, and the performance, that inspired a generation.

As well as being a movie of violent and sexual repulsion, Stanley Kubrick's direction to "A Clockwork Orange" also forces us to investigate deep down in ourselves and chew on the idea of us being in the character's shoes. There is a scene in this movie that forces two parents to make a decision of a lifetime. After receiving the treatments he volunteered for, Alex returns to his household only to discover that the only mom and dad he's even known have rented his old room out to some strange college kid, who is said to have been there for them during many hard times--like a real son. His parents must make a choice: to throw their only son, who has suffered for years in turn for making others suffer, out of the house for good, or allow him to return with open arms trusting that he is "cured." Well, dear reader, what would you do? Brought to you by Warner Bros.
  • Ayatollah11 June 2001
    Without a doubt, my absolute favorite film of all time. I first saw this movie three years ago and I have been in love with it (and Stanley Kubrick) ever since. I never get tired of seeing this movie. Why it remains so underappreciated (at least by "casual" movie viewers) is beyond me. Everything is great; acting, direction, cinematography, the sets, everything.

Something that I don't think anyone else commented on was the Russian motif. The names of the droogs (Alexander, George, Peter, and Dim...short for Dimitri) are decidedly Russian. The singer referenced in the record store, Johnny Zhivago, has obvious Russian overtones. The statement made by the Minister of the Interior about the "peace-loving citizens" is a direct reference to the name that Soviet government representatives applied to their people when talking about the Cold War. Red seems to stand out from other colors. And, of course, who could forget Nadsat, the Russian slang language? I wonder what Burgess and Kubrick were trying to suggest about the future of Ingsoc (those familiar with "1984" will understand)?
    "A Clockwork Orange" starts out with Alex and his gang of "droogs" sitting in the Kerova milk bar drinking the milk plus... Then the camera starts slowly to move back and we see naked female statues and drink machines which purl out the milk through their breasts...

McDowell is splendid as the star-child Alex... He is simply a vicious and amazing sadist monster, lethal in his sincerity, taking delight in rape and violence... Never such a vile character has been so charismatic and attractive...

His life is perplexing, questionable and terrifying... He doesn't show the slightest regard for other's rights or morality... He doesn't even regard his victims as human beings...

His paradoxical character is in nearly every scene... McDowell captures Alex's human and inhuman side with equal skill... Alex is a victim at the mercy of an uncaring society, condemned to the physically unbearable "dislike therapy" and preyed upon by his former targets...

Set in England in the near future– a future which vaguely reflects our own, but it seems that society has started to crumble and at night the streets are driven with teenage gangs who run free of parental control...

"A Clockwork Orange" is too strong for some people to accept and is still too powerful today... It is an extremely disturbing meditation on the violent nature of man... Kubrick emphasizes the human element by paradoxically dehumanizing the characters...

Viewers see images they may not have wanted to see, but will never be able to forget... He presents violence in a confusing and increasing fashion that makes it alarmingly attractive... He invites us to join Alex in raping and pillaging into London urban jungle to show that violence and power are invariably attractive... He makes good use of the camera, showing, in strange ways, the furious underworld of Alex...

Kubrick is the driving force behind "A Clockwork Orange." The film is without exception his picture... He took the novel of Anthony Burgess re-shaping it to fit his own vision... Images and sound pull in different directions, stimulating conflicting emotions...

In a bizarre juxtaposition of often classical music with violence, we see ourselves manipulated into cheering for Alex, despite his brutal and amoral nature... We are forced to really think about the implications of the events with no answer...

The film serves as a battleground for philosophical arguments making comments without forcing an opinion instead preferring that we ourselves decide what to make of the satire... Exposing themes to think about, significant prediction, liberalism of society, sexual acts gaining acceptance, violent films in higher degree, alcohol-currently legal, accounts for many acts of violence, crime out of control, violence in schools, television, illustrating the inconstant nature of public opinion, raising questions, themes and ideas that many people would prefer not to confront...

Style has always been one of Kubrick's strong points... He maintained a reputation for an obsessive attention to detail... He was known for getting the most out of his actors... Distinct images often play a significant part in his films...

With its dynamic bizarre sets and pulsating classical music score, and with a word of warning on how bad violence is and should be watched very closely, Kubrick's motion picture is unsurpassed with intellectual content... It is a film described often as the sociological masterpiece of the decade and, often as dangerously vicious– a film with more violent sex and dangerous thugs than any other I can remember, a film which daringly brought to larger-than-life those areas of the unconscious mind which some people felt were best left hidden…

It is also highly dramatic, extremely graphic, compelling and provoking... It is frightening and intriguing masterpiece with a powerful message about the reality of human nature...
    With the sudden death of Stanley Kubrick recently a part of my love for film died along with him as I recognized the unfortunate fact that there was no other director alive to closely heed the call for attention to detail and visceral content. The thought of looking to Steven Spielberg for future answers was almost unbearable as I remembered that his originality often gives way to family fare (The Pinnochio finale of `Artificial Intelligence') in an attempt to pad his already overloaded wallet. I thought about Sam Mendes and cringed as I remembered that for him art was a floating grocery bag with unclever teenagers clamoring around it in `American Beauty.' No one could replace Stanley Kubrick and after the intitial tears I bought his boxed set and tried to make the best out of a bad situation. And it was then that I rediscovered his greatest achievement `A Clockwork Orange.'

What inspired me to watch `A Clockwork Orange' all those years ago was initially it's `X' rating. I knew that mom would have a fit and I had to see why it was so provocative. For the better part of the 1970's it was also banned furthering my desire to see it. I was surprised by the `X' rating until I witnessed the hilarious in-out rape scenes and was somewhat amazed at the blatancy and sheer delight of the slow-motion pummeling of his droogies by the sweet looking but awfully scary Alex De Large (Malcolm McDowell). Upon further viewing a new love and passion grew for the film until I became part of the passionate cult that remains inspired by `A Clockwork Orange' more than any other films on the AFI Top 100 of all time list.

`A Clockwork Orange' was a very sad film for any lawmaker who adores social order and loathes freedom of speech in 1971. The response of lawmakers who banned this critical statement on social order proved their fear by banning it almost immediately though it still managed an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture and Best Director and deservedly so. Ironically, Kubrick's most original piece was a witty and insightful adaptation of the terrific Anthony Burgess novel. I believe that Burgess would have loved what Kubrick did with it. There were subtle changes and Alex ultimately failed to become a do-gooder in the film but it was all for the best. You almost never like the movie more than the novel but this is a film where Kubrick works overtime to bring his imagination to the proceedings and the movie is better than the novel.

With every Kubrick film comes the feeling of eating Turkish food. As a principle Turkish food can be presented with a taste that is somewhat unedible. More importantly is the idea of presentation and the experience requires elegance and an amazing contrast of color. This as opposed to taste makes for quality food. Similarly, Kubrick often shied away from telling a fundamentally coherent plot and concerned himself with the details of visual artistry. `A Clockwork Orange' was his best effort on the silver screen because he was able to finally incorporate a fantastic story with the elegant presentation of color, a task that surely kept him at night as he tossed and turned searching for a perfect balance of the two.

What truly makes this adaptation of the Burgess novel a success, is what Malcolm McDowell brings to the screen. He is Alex De Large and you can't help but kind of adore his urgent needs for a little of the old ultra violence each night as he unexpectedly makes his house calls through the neighborhood and pounces on innocent women. You also can't help but appreciate his interaction with his good old mom and dad as a tiny snicker forms when he insists on not being able to attend school and a sad but sweet look of confusion and sadness innocently appears as his parents introduce him to their replacement son and he finds himself homeless and in need of his droogies. His interactions with his droogies are a delight as he goes from `singing in the rain' to a mad villain beating up the little groupies in slow-motion. There is a sense of sadness as he ironically goes from being Beethoven's number one fan to a botched suicide that leaves him with broken limbs abounding but the same clever smile and good attitude. The finale is quite possibly the best ever in cinema as sweet Alex cannot help but think of a little of the old in-out as the nurses attempt to curtail his ultra violent tendencies. The slow smile that appears on his innocently despicable face is a sheer delight. The incredible accent makes it all the better.

`A Clockwork Orange' was a film that was so far ahead of it's time in 1971. The Kordova Milk Bar was a trendy little place we can only picture existing in the future. The fascinating way that his crime was dealt with could be the wave of the future should the capital punishment issue cause too much disagreement. In short, a little of the old ultra violence is what propelled this film to high rankings and what will eventually allow all of us to allow our children to see it, once their 18 of course.

This is just possibly the most "perfect" movie ever made. There is no meaningless dialog; not a single extraneous character; and every plot twist is rational and reasonable. Not to mention a superb soundtrack. Because of the intense violence, particularly against women, it is a disturbing and difficult film to sit through. But if you care about the cinema, you must watch without interruption! Characters get what they deserve...in the beginning and at the climax. Let Kubrick take you on the emotional rollercoaster of your cinematic life. And don't forget to breathe.
  • Kristine29 October 2003
    I watched A Clockwork Orange when I was a teenager, I absolutely hated this movie, watched it several times, couldn't get into it. The main reason being was the character Alex, it freaked me out so much that not only was I supposed to sympathize with a killer by that I could relate to him as a teenager. I had never been so disgusted by a movie at that time. A few years later as an adult I decided to give the movie another chance and I also divided myself from the character Alex trying to look at the film to see if there was anything I was missing since it's such a loved classic. I was completely wrong the first time that I viewed the film, this isn't about Alex, this film is about our society and it's absolutely brilliant. Decades later the film still shocks it's audience and conveys such a powerful message about how we as citizens consider ourselves to be civilized creatures, but when given the opportunity how quickly we could turn. Or how to take a brutal murderer, turn the things he loves most against him and wonder how we could feel for him? A Clockwork Orange is truly a remarkable story and deserves nothing but respect.

Alex DeLarge is the leader of his "droogs". One night, they engage in an evening of "ultra-violence", including beating an elderly man and fighting a rival gang. They steal a car, they drive to the country home of a writer, where they beat him to the point of crippling him. Alex then rapes his wife while singing "Singin' in the Rain". After the events of the night before, his droogs express discontent with Alex's petty crimes, demanding more equality and more high-yield thefts. Alex reasserts his leadership by attacking them and throwing them into a canal. That night, Alex invades the mansion of a wealthy woman . While his droogs remain at the front door, Alex bludgeons the woman with a statue. Hearing police sirens, Alex tries to run away, but is betrayed by his droogs. Dim smashes a pint bottle of milk across his face, leaving him stunned and bleeding. Two years into the sentence, the Minister arrives at the prison looking for volunteers for the Ludovico technique, an experimental therapy for rehabilitating criminals within two weeks; Alex readily volunteers. After the experiment supposedly works, he is let out back into society where all those who he has wronged are now given the chance to have another encounter with him. Only question is we think we're civilized could turn right back into the vicious animal that Alex was condemned for being himself.

A Clockwork Orange did something I never thought could happen, it turned into one of my favorite movies. Alex is one of the most despicable characters ever put onto the silver screen from a book, Malcolm McDowell delivers one of the best performance of his career and honestly when he passes, his work in A Clockwork Orange made his life worth while. Alex does bad because he just enjoys it, he's a teenager who takes being bad to the extreme, not just being disrespectful to his parents, but having sex, doing drugs, drinking, raping and killing. It's just disturbing that you could feel for him towards the end of the film but I think it's not only because of Malcolm's great performance but also because Alex is very intelligent, I think it's just that he's too smart for his own good. It's scary that also when he is given the chance to go back into society where he has destroyed so many lives, you want him to get on the right track despite his wrong doings. But as soon as he bumps into the people who he wronged, they turn on him so quickly and you understand why but at the same time want them to be the bigger person and forgive him. It's a hard movie to understand and watch, but is done with such class and style. A Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece and I'm so glad that I gave it the chance it deserved, it's an incredible film that will remain in the classics for years to come.

10/10.
    I haven't read the novel that this film is based upon, and I didn't know that much about it before I sat down to see it. I decided to see it after hearing pretty much nothing but praise for the film(in fact, the only negative comments I've ever heard about it is that it deviates too much from the original novel... which is something Kubrick was famous for) and because I immensely enjoyed The Shining and Kubrick's directorial style as seen in it. I must say, it's been quite a while since I saw something so full, spectacular, exhausting and powerful. From the very first frame to the very last... amazing. Kubrick's style is magnificent, his storytelling is among the best ever seen in cinema. With this film he truly captures the raw and pure qualities of violence. I don't think(well, I certainly don't hope) that anyone who ever has or ever will see this film confuses this as an ode or a tribute to violence... this is not, in any way, shape, or form glorifying violence or violent behavior. Quite the contrary, you might say. The film proves, once and for all, that violence spawns violence. Visually, the film is absolutely stunning. The angles, pans, tracking shots... fantastic work. The ideas presented in the film are more than enough to disturb and freak out any normal person... which is(at least part of) the point. If I mention the words 'eyes opened forcefully' you probably already know what I'm talking about, right? That famous sequence has been referenced, spoofed and talked about more times than just about any other visual impression in the history of cinema. The way everyone and everything turns at Alex after he's apparently cured... truly disturbing. I found a surprise at every change in scenery or even in immediate situation, especially in the latter part of the movie. The way society turns against Alex after he rejoins it, apparently a better man... one of the most 'true' and real cinematic truths ever told of humanity. We are beasts, we are what is commonly referred to as 'inhumane'... and Kubrick tells us this in a truly astonishing manner. The plot is very good. It deals with the main character of Alex, beautifully played by Malcolm McDowell, who loves 'a bit of the old ultra-violence'. He is incarcerated and offered a chance to be re-entered to society, after being 'cured' of his psychotic tendencies. The pacing is... well, hard to describe, really... it feels slow, the movie seems to move slowly... but it hardly drags at all. It's exhausting, not to mention hard to sit through, both due to the extreme content and the slowly moving plot, but it's all worth it. The point is pure genius. Pure Kubrick. The acting is flawless... and believe me, that is not a term I use lightly. Every single actor performs perfectly. The characters are perfectly written, credible in every scene and interesting. The cinematography is pure beauty... pure excellence. I've come to love Kubrick's visual style. His cuts of varying speed and intensity, his long takes when dealing with dialog... truly amazing. His use of music is astounding... the use of classical music is great and really adds to the ironic tone and the atmosphere, the mood of the film. This is truly a work of art, and an exhausting but truly worthwhile film. I haven't seen anything quite like it for a while... in fact, maybe I never have. I recommend this to any fan of Kubrick or intelligent theater. If you believe yourself to be perceptive and intelligent enough to understand the film on most or all of its levels(I don't claim to, not at all), or even on the most basic levels, such as theme and morale(which is what I understood of it) then you should, nay, then you *need* to see this film. Be prepared, though, it does contain quite a lot of disturbing themes and ideas, and is not in any way for the faint of heart. 10/10
  • It's funny, after you watch a film many times you begin to fall in love with it. This is true with a lot of films but for Clockwork Orange, I only had to watch it 2 subsequent times to fall in love with it. There are so many elements of this film that bring it together and make you totally enjoy the story. The music in the film is one such example, at times it's beautiful and at times dark and disturbing, setting the right tone for the scene. Technically this is a sci-fi film because it does take place in the future and there is the plot which involves brainwashing. When many people think of Stanley Kubrick, they think of 2001 and this film. It's because this film stands out as possibly the scariest image of the near future
  • Ang L21 January 2012
    Someone needed to tape my eyes open just so I didn't fall asleep during this movie. If I could give this movie zero stars, I would, no let me take that back, if I could give this movie negative stars I would. The crux of the story is really a question, does being good count if you didn't choose to be good out of your own free will? Everything is quite blunt to the point of literally being stated. Everything is done to the extreme to emphasize the question. You can't just be kind of bad here, you have to be a raving psychotic killer and rapist, no nuance. The simplicity combined with the pacing made the movie quite boring. The question at the center of the movie also didn't fully sing since it is being asked about a psychopath - to me it didn't matter if his motivation for being good is the right one or if his free will has been taken away because his free will should be taken away by the prison system. He shouldn't be allowed back into society. And even what should be the purpose of prison isn't really explored, is it rehabilitation, punishment, or sequestering those unfit to live in society? The question at the heart of the movie would have been more interesting if it were asked about someone who is good only out of fear of say the law or God. Let me add, I know this is a book but I haven't read it.

Even without this next complaint, I didn't think the movie was good. This is why I would give it negative stars. What I really hated was how the violence towards women was presented. The rape scenes are quite graphic with out conveying the gravity of situation. They had too much of a light feel and the movie seemed to not just enjoy them at times but revel in them. The first rape scene of a woman just being tossed around as a group of men tear her clothes off verged on comical when it should have been repulsive. I just felt that rape was too serious an issue to be treated so lightly. Not to mention those horrible mannequins (which I could have lived with and maybe even appreciated if the actual women in the movie weren't also just props)? Being a morality play, women are only present as an object of violence. Edit: If you think I'm seeing something that isn't there, Kubrick said how Alex, the main character, "represents the id, the savage repressed side of our nature which guiltlessly enjoys the pleasures of rape."
    Yes a give it a flat out 1. 1 has (awful) next to it and that is what this movie is in every way.

So many people just love this film. If you are considering watching it be prepared for violence without conscience, gang rapes, dialog you will not understand, more violence without conscience, more gang rapes (with all the men clothed and of course the woman nude and trying to fight for her life) which is very disturbing.

Basically a group of guys that live with utter hate for everything, hang out and some twisted bar where all the coffee tables are statues of nude women spread and ready for sex.

There is not one individual in this movie that has any redeeming qualities of a decent human being whatsoever.

The main villain gets caught and is submitted to experimental techniques to help him detest or fear ever doing crime again.

This film was such an utter waste of a few hours. Many more will probably want to watch this film to see what the hype is all about.

This movie is filth, drizzle, swill.. get my point?

Kubrick loves hate and violence, loves the overuse of sex.

So many people think he was a genius, and that this film was a masterpiece. I have just come to the conclusion that there are some people out there, well many, that cannot get enough violence, acts of hatred, acts of defiance, acts that are shocking. What empty lives these people must have. Then they try find how deep this movie is and the various deep meanings. THERE AREN'T ANY. It is a mess. Chaos. A bunch of characters with no redeeming qualities.

Kubrick believed mankind was born violent and hateful. To each their own.

Very simply put, this movie is sick, twisted, hateful, disgusting, and people love it. What a shame.
    Spoiler herein.

Kubrick's films are misunderstood. Reading the professional reviews and comments here, one would think the reason for this film to exist is for Kubrick to make a strong satire. What bunk. What a small view.

This movie is about the tyranny of movies (and similar performances). The fact that so few people see it as something else is a testament to the self-protective nature of films in our soul.

The Droogs engage in performances. Their speech is theatrical. Their rival gang is discovered on the stage. There is a focus on the eye. They wear costumes. The sex with the teeniboppers is cast as a performance (and photographed that way). The accosted writer is (selfreferentially) the writer of the film, who incidentally drives the character to suicide by exposing him to a performance. During that attack, the Droogs act out another film.

The therapy is forcing `us' to watch movies precisely like the one we are watching. Kubrick follows the Film-within-the-film rule of having the distance of abstraction from the film with to the film be the same as from `real' life to the film. The entire film can be seen as (pick one): one of the punishment films; a subsequent vision in the hospital; a musical drama played out in some kid's head; a simple hallucination in the milk bar; a simple invention of the gay writer (who pretends he had a wife).

All of Kubrick's work starting with Lolita is an exploration into the plasticity of narrative, in the context of obsession (`Lolita'), war (Metal'), power , space (meaning the environment as in `Lyndon'), and invented reality (`2001') and adulterous fantasies (`Eyes'). Here we work with violent adolescent sex: cockworks. It is what Phil Dick had in mind.

Ted's Evaluation: 3 of 4: Worth watching.
  • Kubrick's's best film ever.absolutely mind-blowing.quite disturbing though but that's what moves us.he has amazingly blended the disturbing scenes with the lovely music of Beethoven.a riveting journey of a vicious young hoodlum in modern England who is caught due to the betrayal of his friends and his journey through aversion therapy that drives him to try and do himself in and his cure at last.i never thought i would understand and really appreciate this film but i did and i say that it is one of the best films of the century.Kubrick has excelled himself and i truly feel it is his best film ever.it also has an absolutely mind-blowing performance by young Malcolm Mcdowell as Alex,the best acting performance i have seen.
    "A Clockwork Orange" is a one of a kind masterpiece. It's odd, intelligent, funny and sickening. Kubrick at his best!

The opening sequence in the milk bar might very well be the best and most well known opening in cinema history. The movie manages to stay strong throughout the whole movie after the opening and only gets better and never weakens for a bit. Every minute is a pleasure to watch because the movie never gets predictable in anyway and the oddness level of the movie makes it so that it will be always a surprise what will happen next and how it will happen.

Every scene is pure cinema brilliance. The cinematography, sets, costumes and music all contribute to this, they make the movie a true piece of art. But the true artist is Stanley Kubrick who deserves the most credit. There are countless memorable moments, in other words, watching this movie is an experience that you'll not easily forget.

The violent sequences are sickening, twisted, odd but also funny at the same time. The way they are filmed are unique and very artistic. It's violence in its purest form, it's violence at its best. It gives us a view in the the extreme violent twisted mind of the main character and how he struggles against society and how society struggles against him. The story sounds more complicated then it truly is. The movie itself is easy to follow but it are the layers and deeper meanings that makes this movie not easy if not impossible to explain.

In my experience it is always very hard to comment on a Kubrick movie mainly because his movies always have so many layers and deeper meanings than a single few hundred words comment can describe. It is best to just watch this movie and experience the brilliance of it that is not easy to describe or explain.

In my opinion the best movie ever made.

Clockwork Orange is definitely the most bizarre film I've ever seen. The whole idea of brainwashing a criminal to never do harm again in itself is genius. Stanley Kubrick amazes me with just the music he picked for the movie alone. I was hooked from the opening scene! But, I did find the movie rather disturbing at some points, with the violence and rapes. But the story just made me look past it, and concentrate on the movie. In my opinion, its one of the most brilliant pictures ever made. But, you really have to look past the things you might find disturbing, and just concentrate on the story.
  • People say that this film is somehow amazing. To me it is far more about image and very light on any content. I am all for the freedom to depict unpleasant acts where appropriate and where it has some purpose to it, but I don't see any point to the vast majority of this film. The whole thing seems to be designed to appeal to base instincts through violence and sex without ever making any valid or thought provoking points about either these or any other issue. I realise it is in the top 250 list but personally I feel this film owes more to its notoriety (people thinking it was banned despite the fact it was actually willingly withdrawn by Kubrick in certain countries) than to any real merit in the film. The characters seem to me to have very little real depth and the film is just a series of scenes designed to shock and court controversy. This probably won't be a popular review but I just don't see that this film in itself justifies its position in the polls.