• This made for TV comedy-western (originally shown on NBC) is totally crazy. Roy's doing just fine, being mean and nasty, until he meets a woman during a bank robbery. She attempts to reform him, and that's when the plot really goes wild. John Astin is excellent in the lead role. The supporting roles could be a list of who's funny when it comes to comic acting: Mickey Rooney, Henry Gibson, Dom DeLuise, Milton Berle, Edie Adams (Ernie Kovacs' widow) and narration by Pat Buttram. I suggest that you run to rent or buy this one!
  • Evil Roy Slade (Made For TV, 1972, director: Jerry Paris) - I first saw this movie when I was a small child (in an era of rather clever movies of the week), and then a few more times after that. I have not viewed it in over 25 years, however, but I still recall it being one of the funniest films I ever saw.

The humor was dark enough to attract my laughs, but not insulting or offensive (somewhere along the line, Hollywood forgot how to walk this delicate balance). Slade (John Astin, Gomez on TV's "Addams Family")is orphaned after a wagon train is attacked by Indians. No one (even the native-Americans or wolves) will aid him, so he ends up being raised by vultures with just an old teddy bear for a companion.

Naturally, he grows up mean and vile, eventually becoming the leader of a gang of bank robbers. During a heist, he meets pretty schoolmarm Betsy (Pam Austin) and it's love at first sight.

After he quits the gang, Becky tries to reform him, but railroad executive Mr. Stool (Mickey Rooney), hires retired singing sheriff, Big Bell (Dick Shawn, "It's A Mad, Mad Mad, Mad World") to capture the reforming outlaw.

With Dom DeLuise, Milton Berle, Edie Adams, John Ritter (later to star on "Three's Company"), Pat Morita (of "Karate Kid" fame) and narrated by Pat Butrum (Mr. Haney on "Green Acres"), "Evil Roy Slade" was one laugh riot from beginning to end. Maybe it's nostalgia for those good old days, but with others out there expressing the same viewpoint, I believe this picture still holds up well today.

Funniest line of dialogue that I remember: Betsy is trying to teach Slade mathematics. She asks, "You have three apples, and your neighbor has three apples. If he takes three of your apples, what do you have?" Slade: "A dead neighbor and all six apples."
  • I have, unfortunately, seen this movie only one time, and all I can say is that it ranks as one of the funnest piece of work I have ever seen. I consider myself a worthy and discriminating critic when it comes to good films and acting performances -- and this one had every ingredient possible to make it an all-time comedy classic. Because it's been so long since I have seen this movie, I can't remember much about the details, except that John Astin plays an inept evil-doer, the antics of which kept me in stitches from the moment he appeared until his character left the screen. Much to my disappointment and despite my efforts,I have never found nor seen the movie again.
  • This movies was a masterpiece and a delight. Dick Shawn was stupendously funny, and the rest of the cast, perfectly cast. The movie was well directed ALWAYS kept you laughing and never let up. In this viewers opinion it is one of the 10 funniest and cleverest comedies of all times. I gave it a 10 and so did 297 people out of a possible 419 voters here on the data base. Will someone explain to me how you can have over half the votes a 10, have the Arithmetic mean = 9.1. The Median of 10.0 and still our beloved IMDb gives this movie a weighted average vote of 6.3? Come on I've heard of "weighted" but is the butchers hand on the scale here? Is it that those folks intellectual capacity just couldn't bare to see this film in the top ten of the top 100 movies? Hmmmmmm? Well guess what? The Direction, The Acting, The Script, and just the general "clevertude" (is there such a word?) Should put this film just about in the top 10 percent of films....Come on Fellas....be fair. At least level this out to 8.5 I can buy that a whole lot "weightedly" than 6.3 Just one viewers opinion.
  • I saw this movie late at night on television while visiting a friend in Los Angeles in the mid 1970's. My friend was actually rolling around on the floor because he was laughing so hard. Although I haven't seen it since, I still remember it as the funniest movie I have ever seen. Maybe it was partly because it was late at night, but we were both sober. I think it was much funnier than Blazing Saddles and much less offensive. After thirty years, some of the scenes are still clear in my mind, such as Slade taking off all his weapons or persuading his horse to make the jump over a wide ditch. It's almost like an American Western version of a Marx Brothers movie. I don't remember anything dirty in it, so even young children would enjoy watching it. I'd really like to see it again myself.
  • tatty4823 September 2003
    Evil Roy Slade as mentioned in the review is a film that a lot of people are unaware of, and what a pity. If you have the sort of sense of humour related to Blazing Saddles then you will find this film a bonus. My Daughter watched this film when she was about 11 or 12 and loved it. I wont give anything away but look out for "Not wearing guns" and the "Shoe horn", classic stuff. Even though 30 years old I think the comedy still works, so find it, watch it and enjoy it.
  • cornel-43 April 2003
    Like a previous fan of this movie, I scored the movie a big 10. With so many other people also scoring it a ten, I am glad to see there are a lot of other people out there with a warped sense of humor. I also cannot understand why this movie only has a score of 5.7. I would like to know who owns the movie so that I could possibly convince them to put it out on DVD (in Australia - PAL system). With a score like this the movie will never be put out on DVD so that I can watch it at my leisure. Could I ask the person or persons who weighted the score down so heavily to please reconsider and let the movie get the recognition it deserves.
  • ChinkyFunbags7 December 2018
    Blazing Saddles totally ripped off this movie. If you like old comedies you need to see this.
  • A better made-for-tv movie does not exist. I've read that it was actually a pilot for a western series that would have guest good guys who were to be defeated by Evil Roy and the gang.

The writing is super, fast, and funny--they really knew what they were doing.

ERS is a family favorite. I got a copy for Christmas a few years ago; we all sat around and watched it. My brother-in-law had never seen ERS before--I thought he was going to hurt himself laughing.
  • I haven't seen this movie for over 15 years when my copy was accidentally taped over.It's great to see that so many others have a similar recollection of this hilarious movie as me.I don't believe it has been shown on Australian TV in that time, which is a crying shame as it is one of those few comedies that pace the laughs perfectly throughout.So many of the movie's lines became second nature amongst a few of us such as "Stubby Index Finger" and "Bing Bell, I'll get that". I am an unashamed Mel Brooks fan, however I reckon Evil Roy Slade is superior to Blazing Saddles.I'm am at a loss as to how to go about getting a copy of it in Australia.If anyone can be of assistance I'd be really rapt.
  • When I was ten years old, I watched the movie Evil Roy Slade. Never before had I seen a movie so funny. I swear! Even at that young and tender age I laughed almost hysterically. I have watched a lot of TV in my time and after 30 years of watching comedies in all genres this film is definitely the most comical of them all, in my opinion. Sure, the movie 'Airplane' was good too but the laughs were few and far in between. From the beginning of the Evil Roy Slade movie until the end I couldn't stop laughing. John Astin played the main character role quite convincingly. Although the character was evil you just had to love him from the moment he entered the movie until the moment he left and especially when he had to cope with life without his guns. The film is filled with unexpected and unbelievable events at every turn and written in the funniest way possible. I don't know why, but I have never seen or heard of this film since until I came to this site searching some kind of information about the movie. I have been waiting many years to see this movie again. Too long! I need a good laugh.
    This fantastic Western spoof has the distinction of out-blazing Blazing Saddles, yet few people know it exists. Evil Roy Slade (1972) was a pilot to a proposed series, that somehow mis-timed its entry and never happened beyond this feature. By the Seventies, audiences were awash with sagebrush satires, because Support Your Local Sheriff (1969), Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971), They Call Me Trinity (1971), Blazing Saddles (1974), and even the William Shatner/ Doug McClure short-lived TV series Barbary Coast (1975) were all going for the same audience.

The premise of this one, though, is wild: Evil Roy Slade (John Astin) was an abandoned baby in The Old West, raised only by vultures on the prairie. Nobody wanted him: not the Apache Indians, and not the wolves. So he grew up mean and evil, `lovin' no-body'. He just had one tired old teddy bear from the burnt out wagon train (God only knows how he learned to speak English).

Eventually he heads up his own gang of bank-robbers, but Evil Roy still has some growing up to do (although Astin already looked about 40ish). So one day, as he and his gang are robbing a bank, he happens onto Miss Betsy Potter (Pamela Austin) as his victim, and both he and Betsy get struck by the proverbial romantic lightning bolt. `I gotta write down this girl's address-where's a pen?'. They're in a bank, so he spots a pen attached to a bench, which he drags over to her. But then he needs paper. `Here, write yer address on this money, so I won't lose it'. When she does, writing her name as well as her address, Evil Roy rejoices to others in the bank: `She can write!'. He even rides off with the pen as a memento, still attached to the bench dragging behind! And he does show up to visit her the following day. Their kiss, this time without a gun in her ribs, inspires Evil Roy to go straight. He goes to explain his decision to his `family' (to some vultures): `You know what nice is? Suppose there was a whole herd of dead cattle, dropped dead on the field, just for you. That's what nice is.'

By now the chase for Evil Roy has become personal for the railroad owner Nelson L Stool (Mickey Rooney), who's the principal DISbeneficiary of the Evil gang. Stool tries tirelessly to coax famous Sheriff Bing Bell (Dick Shawn) (`Somebody at the door? -No, that's his name, stupid') back out of retirement. It's uphill work, because Bing Bell keeps setting the written appeals on fire to indicate his firm 'NO'. But now, with the involvement of the beautiful Betsy Potter, Bing Bell has something other than fame to strive for. He finally agrees to track down Evil Roy for the railroad.

Back at the hideout, Evil Roy has decided to retire. His gang moll Flossie is jealous of Betsy: `I know what's on your mind. I heard about that high-falutin' hussy you met in the bank!' `...Floosie?' `-Flossie!' `Honey, you got pierced ears?' `-No.' `Shuttup, or you will'! And `Roy, don't do this to me, I love you! You got no right to leave me alone!' `-Maybe you're right (looks around). Alright, who wants Flossie?'

The gang's unfortunate accountant, Randolph (Billy Sands) also has problems with Evil Roy quitting. Roy: `See that blank space right there? You make a 5, and some zeros, and you make that $50,000. ...So where's the money you got marked down in that book, Randolph? You owe me $50,000 and you ain't got it?!' Unfortunately Evil Roy never gets his retirement money from his very last stagecoach robbery, because Flossie rats him out to Nelson L Stool, so he is captured... ...eventually. It does take them a while, due to the midget's pony, because there's `not much call for roping gophers' out in the old West.

Suffering guilt for her part in his capture (during the shootout, she gave him a Bible instead of a gun), Betsy has Evil Roy start a brand new life with a brand new name in Boston. My very favourite scene is Evil Roy's musings as he tries to invent a new identity for himself while on the run, but can't get away from his nickname: `Lemme see... Evil John Ferguson... Evil Fred Nolan... Evil Lee Rich...'

Betsy's Bostonian cousin's husband Harry (Milton Berle) is a shoe salesman who employs Evil Roy in his shoestore. Boston, of course, is a whole new universe and not an easy adjustment for Evil Roy. For one thing, he is surrounded by money in the store, and is sometimes entrusted to take it TO the bank! So Betsy takes Roy to her college friend, now a psychiatrist, Dr Logan Gelp (Dom DeLouise). Logan, of course, doesn't get out much, and having completely failed with Roy (every Rorschach inkblot reminds Evil Roy of his gun), the shrink finally attempts surmising Evil Roy's personality problems by feel. Logan: `No, no; I'm not one of them funny boys! I was feeling the bumps on your skull. There's this new science called phrenology!' Evil Roy: `...What's 'science' mean?'

OK, almost every quote qualifies for a favourite scene; but that's what Evil Roy Slade (1972) is like! This classic gag screenplay was concocted by Jerry Belson and the unerring Garry Marshall, who created Happy Days soon after.

Eventually Evil Roy cracks, supplying a welcome relief from his forced good behaviour, and the reason for the show's continuance! My one quibble is frankly about the torturously un-hip performance of the un-svelte, graying Dick Shawn as an Elvis-like Bing Bell with a trick guitar. His overripe but unexplained meanness overwhelms the joke, and he's too ridiculous for Betsy to supposedly fall for in the final act. Thankfully, Evil Roy Slade (1972) recovers from its penultimate lapse in judgement, whereas Blazing Saddles (1974) did not.

Utterly irresistible/ quotable. One of my 5 favourite movies of all time. 9.5/10.
  • Super comedy, let's have this on DVD. I watched this movie as a teenager with my family and we loved it! My dad was a big western fan and he laughed all the way through the movie. My brothers and I grew up on classic westerns and then the anti-hero westerns of Clint Eastwood. I for one did not believe that a western could also be a comedy. This film really works. Evil Roy is a memorable character and will make you chuckle for days, weeks and years after wards. This movie has great performances and a script that is funny by parodying the genre. However there is nothing mean or nasty here, there is a real affection for the traditional western.
  • carl1702 December 2005
    This film is as funny as - Support Your Local Sheriff (1969), Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971), They Call Me Trinity (1971), Blazing Saddles (1974).Yes its that good. I only got the one chance to watch it all those years ago as a youngster. I would love to have the chance to laugh again with this film....

One hopes that someone see sense and releases this on DVD, so that a new generation has a chance to see this TV movie.

The best part of the movie is when he is trying to turn good. You really do laugh as he tries so hard to be good.

Carl Brown Ipswich, England
  • This is one of the My top 5 Comedy Westerns of all time! Watch it if you can find it! Hasn't been released on video... Ranks with: Blazing Saddles, The Villain, Cat Balou, Rustlers Rhapsody...
  • I have been waiting for this moment for years. Yesterday, I opened a Christmas present from my husband, and it was my very own, brand new copy of Evil Roy Slade. All I can say is thank you Universal, Critics Choice videos, and God bless you Mike for trying one more time to find this classic comedy for your wife.
    I rate this movie 12 out of 10.

I was so excited to finally see this cult classic when it finally made it to video. Every western movie cliché is lampooned in this made for TV movie starring (among others) John Astin, Milton Berle, Mickey Rooney, and Dick Shawn-- with cameos by then unknown actors such as Ed Begley, Jr, Penny Marshall, Pat Morita, John Ritter, and Dom Deluise.

Evil Roy Slade falls for Miss Betsy Palmer who tries to reform Slade, unsuccessfully. Slade even tries to change his name. "Evil John Ferguson? Nah. Evil Lee Rich, yeah, that's good, that's good." Dick Shawn plays the "Paladin" type character, Ding Bell, hired to put an end to Slade. Rumor has it his outfits were created by Liberace's personal wardrobe designer.

Bing Bell likes to sing and play his guitar as he rides along to "keep my mind off the smell of the horse".

The puns and one liners come so quick and often, that you will probably miss half of them the first time through. But that's OK because you will want to watch this film several times.

This film is great fun for the whole family.

I have purchased at least 10 copies to give to special friends as gifts.

My wife and I have watched this film dozens of times and quote from it daily. "Enough warmth".
  • bkoganbing15 August 2010
    Before there was Blazing Saddles, Garry Marshall took the same satirical pen to the old west and the old western that Mel Brooks did and manage to fashion Evil Roy Slade. With John Astin in the title role, the film is about an outlaw who no matter how hard he tries just can't seem to change his lawbreaking ways. Even with the incentive of schoolmarm Pamela Austin and a marriage promise, Astin is unredeemable.

This film seems like a mini reunion of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World with key roles in the comedy going to Edie Adams, Milton Berle, Mickey Rooney, and Dick Shawn. Rooney has some good scenes as the railroad tycoon who Astin keeps robbing, especially with Henry Gibson playing Rooney's not too bright son. Very similar to how Mel Brooks cast himself as the governor in Blazing Saddles.

Shawn also in the end may prove to be the last singing cowboy ever to grace the big screen. Check in his scene how one of those early RCA phonographs is playing a modern LP of Shawn warbling some cowboy ditties. Shawn is the retired marshal who Rooney lures out of retirement to get Astin. Very good work by him as well.

Sad to say that Evil Roy Slade was put into the shade somewhat by the better known and bigger budgeted Blazing Saddles. Still this is a very funny film with a lot of talented people at their best.
    John Austin looks like "Adams Family" patriarch Gomez Adams decked out from hat to toe in a solid black outfit in director Jerry Paris' made-for-television western farce "Evil Roy Slade" as the eponymous desperado who struggles to go straight after he falls in love with a beautiful woman of virtue. Writers Jerry Belson and "Pretty Woman's" Garry Marshall manage to contrive some amusing situations with shameless gags. Everything in "Evil Roy Slade," however, isn't always shameless. Nevertheless, you suspect these tongue-in-cheek scribes must have been searching something different when they promoted the villain to the status of the hero. Austin is in top-form as the dastardly outlaw. Comedian Dick Shawn cuts a quite figure as Marshal Bing Bell, a singing cowpoke with a guitar that conceals a rifle with which he is an excellent marksman. Bing dangles a tiny bell from his right earlobe. The running gag is that whenever anybody says Bing Bell, the other person mistakenly thinks that they are referring to the chimes of a door bell. No, it's not as hilarious as the old lady's name, Frau Blücher, in "Young Frankenstein," but Belson and Marshall deserve credit for a full-fledged effort. By this time, television had gotten around to acknowledging the presence of gay men, and the characters here make two references to them as "funny boys." Although this goofy, lowbrow western is predictable, "Evil Roy Slade" has its side-splitting seconds.

Evil Roy Slade (John Austin of "The Adams Family") and his ruffians are robbing a bank when our anti-heroic hero encounters beautiful Betsy Potter (Pamela Austin of "Rome Adventure") and plants a big wet one on her moist, pretty lips. Suddenly, everything changes for Roy. Roy wants Betsy almost as much as he embraces evil. Roy and his gang set out to rob the stagecoach, and Flossie (Edie Adams of "The Apartment") turns informant when he ditches her to conclude his career as an outlaw. Roy and company discover her treachery when they try to rob a stagecoach jammed with an army of lawmen, including midgets on the roof. One of these tykes, (Billy Curtis of "High Plains Drifter") springs out of a box to tackle Roy. The posse captures Roy, locks him up, and the court sentences him to swing. Beleaguered railroad president Nelson Stool (Mike Rooney of "The Secret Invasion"), who Roy and his gang have been preying on mercilessly for years, leaves his drooling bulldog to guard Roy as well as his incompetent relative, Clifford Stool (Henry Gibson of "The Long Goodbye"). Stool has tied Roy's hands behind his back so that Roy cannot escape. Shrewdly, Roy plays of the hunger of the starving dog, drenches his bonds with gravy, and the dog gnaws through them and Roy escapes. Eventually, Roy succumbs to Betsy's charms and they move to Boston where he visit a shrink Logan Delp (Dom DeLuise of "Blazing Saddles") and can walk around without his hardware. Roy ends up selling shoes for Uncle Harry Fern (Milton Berle of "Whispering Ghosts") and becomes rather adept at it. Temptation overwhelms our protagonist when Harry entrusts Roy with lugging two bulging bags of currency to the Boston Bank. Roy delivers the loot but then purloins the bank guard's revolver and holds up the bank. The front page newspaper story reveals that Roy is heading back east. The elder Stool finally persuades Marshal Bell to intervene.

Some of the priceless gags occur when Roy strolls up the street in a western town during an early scene. He triggers shots into the ground at the toes of an invalid (Leonard Barr of "Diamonds Are Forever")whose legs are encased in plaster and relies on crutches to walk. Roy takes an elderly woman's shawl from her shoulders as she is poised to cross a muddy street and lays the shawl on the muddy spot. Instead of waiting for the old woman to lead off, Roy tramps on it as he goes his merry way. A woman sitting on a horse extends her hand so that Roy may help her descend from the steed. Instead, Roy pulls her off the pony and appropriates it for himself. At one point, when he announces his impending retirement from the gang, Roy passes out autographed wanted posters of himself. At another point, Roy terrorizes a sleeping infant when Betsy prohibits him from frightening adults. Happily, "Evil Roy Slade" just makes the grade, especially with its big finale in the church at Betsy's wedding. John Austin radiates evil like the dastard that he plays would and Dick Shawn is funny at Bing Bell.
    Mean hombre Evil Roy Slade (marvelously played with deliciously dastardly relish by John Astin) embarks on a merry crime spree in the Old West. Sweet young lady Betsy Potter (winningly played by the fetching Pamela Austin) becomes determined to reform Roy after meeting and falling in love with the ornery cuss during a bank robbery. Meanwhile, ruthless and vengeful railroad baron Nelson Stool (Mickey Rooney in fine spirited form) hires vain and ostentatious singing cowboy Marshall Bing Bell (a gloriously campy portrayal by Dick Shawn) to take Roy down. Director Jerry Paris, working from a witty script by Jerry Belson and Gary Marshall, ably milks the infectiously broad and wacky humor for maximum belly laughs while maintaining a snappy pace and zany tone throughout. The hysterically funny dialogue (favorite line: "My in-laws want me to hire outlaws") frequently hits the sidesplitting bull's eye. Moreover, there are plenty of inspired nutty touches, such as Roy calmly conversing with a pack of vultures, an ambush complete with pistol-packin' midgets, and a wedding ceremony that degenerates into a wild shoot-out. The cast attack the goofy material with great zeal, with stand-out contributions from Edie Adams as brassy floozy Flossie, Milton Berle as antsy shoe salesman Harry Fern, Henry Gibson as the cowardly Clifford Stool, and Dom DeLuise as patient, helpful psychiatrist Logan Delp. Popping up in nifty small roles are Penny Marshall as a bank teller, Pat Morita as Bing Bell's servant Turhan, Luana Anders as the cheery Alice Fern, Billy Curtis as a dwarf cowboy, and Ed Begley, Jr. as a dumb hick. Patt Buttram provides the amusingly wry narration. Both Murray MacLeod's jaunty score and the folksy country soundtrack do the harmonic trick. Sam Leavitt's crisp cinematography makes neat occasional use of fades and dissolves. A total riot.
  • jcaraway36 February 2010
    Okay, this isn't "Blazing Saddles". Heck, this isn't even " The Terror of Tiny Town". But it is an innocently funny family oriented western spoof that's kind of like the "Blazing Saddles" prototype, since it came out a little earlier. The plot involves an "evil" outlaw (John Astin, who played Gomez in The Addams Family) who is forced to mend his ways by his goody two shoes girlfriend, but has to turn back to his old ways to steal her back from the man she is supposed to marry. There are also a lot of really funny moments that remind me of a late 60's- early 70's sit com, probably because it was made for TV in 1971. There are some really enjoyable actors in here, including the aforementioned John Astin, Mickey Rooney, Dom Delouise, Pat Morita, and John Ritter, Ed Begley,Jr., and Penny Marshall in very small parts. So, entertaining and funny, though it seems a bit too long. Warning: The DVD is very cheap. Be prepared to expect pops and freezes.
  • A blacksmith who is black and named Smith? How cool! I have spent years trying to convince TV channels in Australia that this is a 'must get' movie, which has an enormous cult following, but without success much to my disgust. Any release on DVD for the Aussie market would be a sales triumph as we are a nation of bent senses of humour; maybe I could persuade someone in Thailand or Bali to do a crack but I can't afford the airfare. Never mind, I'm saving hard. Love this web page; it's on my favourites.John Astin shows that zany side of his comedic identity that made him a legend as Gomez Addams and I can't remember laughing so much since the last time I watched this same movie. It's a triumph among those of the genre. Hecmacd. Warrnambool Australia.
  • I loved this movie when I first saw it. I used to have guys over to watch and we would be rolling on the floor laughing. We have an unofficial club that often quotes some of the lines. I even made my wife get up at 2 a.m. to watch it (1977, no VCR at the time). She was not keen at the time but loves it now.

The characters, John Astin, Mickey Rooney and the rest, were spectacular in their roles.

Some of my favourite scenes are the "shoe horn", "close window to break with gun before shooting", "many of my friends met their maker swinging like that", actually the list is endless.

Another classic comment about this movie is that no one gets killed (well almost no one). Even though they are shooting at each other within a couple of feet, they all seem to miss hitting one another. This adds to the humorous aspect of the truly funny movie.

I too wish this was on DVD. I cannot understand why NBC or whomever does not put out a DVD copy. Fantastic movie. If you want a side splitter this would be the best movie to get or rent.

• Sneakin', Lyin', Arrogance, Dirtiness, and Evil. Put 'em all together and they spell Slade. For people who like Airplane, Hot Shots, and Top Secret, who get the high art of low comedy, this movie is a must see. Before Airplane there were two really great parodies in The Big Bus and Evil Roy Slade. Both of them boasted great casts and took dead aim at the western and disaster movie genres.

Slade has an outstanding cast consisting of, among other notables, Mickey Rooney, Milton Berle, Dick Shawn, and if you don't blink, Ed Begley Jr. and Penny Marshall (Gerry Marshall being one of the writers). Still for me, it's John "Gomez" Astin that makes the movie, playing the unreformabley bad to the bone Evil Roy. At one point he is asked, "If you had six apples and your neighbor took three of them, what would you have?" To which he replies, "A dead neighbor and all six apples."

In the end, this movie, despite a thinly veiled comment on capital punishment, is purely about entertainment, so as long as you remember that and check your snob-stick at the door, you should thoroughly enjoy it.
  • bighole17 November 2005
    This is one of the funniest, most flawed flicks ever. My father used to make me watch it as a child, and years later, it still ranks as one of my favorites. Evil Roy was orphaned, and he was not raised by Indians, or wolves, but Buzzards........need i say more??? Apparently i do, so i will. Milton Berle is also a riot in a small cameo. There are many great one-liners and sight gags. It's very low budget and you can even see the mic in a few shots, but you must suspend disbelief if you are to enjoy this movie. John ASTIn is as good here as he ever was in the Addams Family. Just an overall good time. You Will Laugh Out Loud. Do Yourself a favor and find this flick.