• JHC329 November 2004
    A mysterious band of killers raids isolated homesteads. In their latest crime, they raid Sam Paxton's place, kill Sam's son, and kidnap his daughter, Becky. Sam is desperate to get the killers and recover his daughter. The efforts of a posse prove ineffectual, but Sam is determined to continue on. He sends for an old Army buddy who is a well known tracker. Unable to come, his friend sends another tracker, Ezekial Smith. Sam, a Confederate veteran, is extremely

displeased when it turns out Ezekial is black. However, the posse is making no progress so Sam reluctantly accepts this help. Ultimately, the pair gradually gain each other's respect as they pursue Becky's trail into Mexico.

Though it has some occasional comedic elements, this is a serious western

featuring a very credible performance by Sammy Davis, Jr. The supporting cast is composed largely of veteran actors with a wealth of experience in the western genre. The result is an effective and entertaining western. This is particularly remarkable given the type of material many viewers associate with producer

Aaron Spelling. The issue of racism isn't sugarcoated. None of the posse

members ever really accept Ezekial Smith and even Sam is very slow to give up a lifetime of bigotry. Recommended.
    Of course, we all know Sammy Davis Jr. for his signing talent, but he was also a very fine Western actor and very handy with a six-gun, as Dennis Weaver once commented. According to him, Sammy Davis Jr. was one of Hollywood's fastest draws. Aside from Sammy Davis Jr., this film also features the well-known Ernest Borgnine and small part for the somewhat famous Jim Davis (no relation to Sammy Davis Jr.) I watched The Trackers on the Westerns channel (obviously) and thought it was pretty good, although I have seen a lot better. The plot is simple and not original, for the idea of Indians kidnapping girls and taking them the Mexican border only to be followed by the families of their captives, has already been used many times. But it is good enough for me. There is a lot of gunfire in this Western and it is enjoyable enough. Overall, this is a pretty good Western and I recommend it for any Western fan.
    Big name stars with excellent acting in this movie all add to the enjoyment of the search. Fast moving action and a couple of scenes with the heroes getting the upper hand make the movie go by too quickly. Ernie Borgnine and Sammy Davis, Jr. make a great team. Sammy's character's laid-back personality is an exciting contrast to some of the other characters' impatience and prejudice which make you keep on watching. I watched this movie twice tonight to make sure I didn't miss anything - I give it a 10 as I feel each character gave so much strength to the overall picture. Jim Davis and Julie Adams are very talented, seasoned actors and Bucklind Noah Beery was a surprise to me as I never knew Noah Berry, Jr. had a son. Buck has been in other roles I have found by searching the Internet and if he is half as good an actor as his famous father and grandfather he is worth watching.
    I agree that this TV Western is worth your time. Ernest Borgnine and Sammy Davis Jr play well together. Watch fast for a young William Katt as Borgnine's son. The character of El Grande is played by the excellent Gary Marshal of Camelot (1967) and The Thousand Plane Rain (1968, released July 1969). In this production he is credited as 'Caleb Brooks'. though I do not know why. His performance is memorable and it is a shame he did not do more work on film. His career has been mostly on the stage where his considerable vocal talents have been wowing audiences for many years. Fans also remember him fondly in three episodes of Marlo Thomas' That Girl series playing British Photographer Noel Prince. He can also be viewed in the Vegas (1979) episode 'Lost Monday' as Dr Middleton as well as a cameo in George Clooney's Intolerable Cruelty. Back to the film...I have always enjoyed the music in this production and the script is above average. I can see how it would have made for an entertaining feature film.
  • a fine made for tv western centering on tracker(Sammy Davis Jr) aiding Earnest Borgnine in the search for his missing daughter. Lots of action for western fans, some familiar character actors, and even some comedic moments.
  • Aaron Spelling made a bunch of made for television films and they mostly fell into categories like romance, suspense and horror. So imagine my surprise when I found that he also produced a western-- and it stars an actor you wouldn't suspect would be in a western, Sammy Davis Jr.!

When the film begins, Sam and Dora Paxton (Ernest Borgnine and Julie Adams) arrive at their ranch to find their son dying and daughter abducted. When Sam contacts a famous lawman and tracker, instead of this old friend arriving to help he sends his deputy...Ezekiel Smith (Davis). What follows are the sort of racial tension you have seen in films of the era. Sam is, like most folks of his day, a racist and slowly he and Ezekiel work through this as they set out on their cross-country adventure.

This is a film that offers few real surprises and ends about where you'd expect. This doesn't mean it's a bad film. It's well intentioned and entertaining but not a whole lot more.
    the original plan for this movie coming to fruition? John Wayne and Sammy Davis, Jr., directed by Burt Kennedy? It fairly screams "hit!"

Alas, we get an Aaron Spelling production with Ernest Borgnine sleep-walking through his performance (and what was with that silly way he kept firing his pistol?) and Sammy Davis, Jr., restraining his entertainer voice while looking embarrassed.

Or was that me being embarrassed for them.

The Trackers is so cheap and disposable as a standard search plot that the tension, created when white rancher Borgnine has to accept black cop Davis for his sidekick, is the only thing worth the 75 minutes of air time.

Throw in a weird pack of evil-doers in Mexico who are holding Ernie's daughter (a non-actress named Connie Kreski who was a Playboy Playmate in 1969; yes, dammit, I looked her up, and I read the article!), led by an urbane Englishman, and I simply gave up.

William Katt gets wasted in the first five minutes of the flick. Julie Adams gets wasted--in a different way--with a thankless role of Borgnine's missus. What's weird is that she's the only believable character in this silly blob of cinematic dryer lint.

Oh, well. It was free.