User Reviews (121)

• I first saw this film as a child but its images haunted me for many years. This terrifying film has rarely been broadcast since, but was recently shown on American Movie Classics and I found it as frightening as I remembered. It is notable for the performance of the legendary acting teacher, Uta Hagen, whose film and TV appearances are limited but whose teachings are highly regarded in the acting world. Her role as Ada, the Russian grandmother of mysterious twin boys with a terrible secret, is perhaps not one of the great roles in film history, but her performance lends the film a tragic depth which makes the events seem all the more horrible. TV's John Ritter also has a small but important role as another member of the family beset by crises and dire events. And the late Portia Nelson, one of the nuns from THE SOUND OF MUSIC, also makes an appearance. Like many horror films of the 70's, this film sets a child's innocence against a malevolent force but, unlike The Exorcist or The Omen, doesn't involve supernatural elements. The horror is almost entirely psychological and involves the twins' relationship and a grief-stricken family. It would be foolish to give away too many details because the plot twists and shocking ending are so effective, but this film, without explicit violence or gore manages, to make an impact and is a must-see for horror fans.
  • Hey_Sweden11 August 2013
    "The Other" is an adaptation of the Thomas Tryon novel, scripted (and executive produced) by Tryon himself, which tells us a story of evil set against the backdrop of a peaceful farming community in Depression era Connecticut. Director Robert Mulligan ("To Kill a Mockingbird") milks the location for a lot of atmosphere - and the finale is particularly sinister - but the horrors of this film are largely psychological, which will appeal to those genre fans looking for something subtle.

It stars legendary acting teacher Uta Hagen, in one of her rare film roles, as Ada, the doting grandmother to twin boys Niles and Holland (played by actual identical twins Chris and Martin Udvarnoky). Niles is the more grounded one and Holland the more mischievous one. They also live with other relatives including an incapacitated mother, Alexandra (Diana Muldaur). Niles has been taught a special "game" by Ada, which allows him to see through the eyes of others.

But don't let that lead you to believe there's much if any of the supernatural in this story. It's done in a more realistic manner, and the effectiveness of the film hinges on ambiance, mood, and performances. Hagen is quite wonderful, and the Udvarnokys - who unfortunately never made another film - offer completely natural, unaffected portrayals. The excellent cast also features Victor French, Lou Frizzell, Portia Nelson, John Ritter (in one of his earliest big screen appearances), Jack Collins, and Ed Bakey. Production design (by Albert Brenner), cinematography (by Robert Surtees), and music (by Jerry Goldsmith) are all beautiful. This is one of those films that does take you back to a different time and place. The end is haunting and not likely to be forgotten by the viewer anytime soon.

The story's critical revelation actually occurs sooner than you might expect, but things only build from there; Tryon still has more twists and turns up his sleeve.

Highly recommended to horror fans, especially those who favour the traditional variety of horror.

Eight out of 10.
  • I remember very clearly that parts of the Thomas Tryon novel just about had me wetting myself, it was that scary, and I wondered if the movie version would do it justice. In many ways, it nearly surpasses the book...which is something that rarely ever happens. Some people don't care for the performances by Chris and Martin Udvarnoky as the twins, Niles and Holland, but the fact that they weren't typical "Hollywoodized" child stars enabled them to give more naturalistic performances, thereby making them more believable...and creepy.

And what can you say about one of theater's Grande Dames, Uta Hagen? I think this was the only film I've ever seen her in, and she's spectacular. Well before "bad kids" became a genre cliché, this one beats all the other like-minded thrillers by a mile, even THE OMEN. (Well, maybe not THE BAD SEED, though.)

And as the cherry-on-top, Jerry Goldsmith turned in one of his best scores on this one. And DP Robert Surtees' work is so beautiful in contrast to the sheer horror it has us bear witness to...

Director Mulligan deserved all the praise he got for THE OTHER, and more acclaim than he did get because of the fact that it was considered a "low-class horror movie." When you watch it, though, you may not think so by the chilling ending. See if this doesn't stay with you for weeks afterward, the way it did for me...
  • Like a lot of people here, I grew up with this movie. I believe that CBS started showing it in prime time as early as 1973. In any advent, they showed it a lot through the 70's, and I think I saw it every time. A lot of it made a huge impression on me as a kid:"Holland" performing the magic trick for his elderly neighbor, the kid jumping in the barn on the pitchfork (and the next cut is his casket being taken away), the circus freak show..... Most of all, director Robert Mulligan and company make the most benign setting (rural 1930s America) a scary place.

I just watched this again on AMC last night, and it holds up pretty well. Most people should see the twist coming, and the feel is distinctly early 70's California (in geography and look). However, this is miles above all those Exorcist ripoffs and 80's slasher films. See it!
  • Many horror fans, and those who try to write such stories, understand that Stephen King has taken inspiration from the work of others. And there can be little doubt King was greatly influenced by Thomas Tryon's outstanding novels Harvest Home and The Other.

The TV movie version of The Other enjoyed good-ratings and critical acclaim when it was first broadcast on CBS in 1972. Although Stephen King was actively writing horror at the time, I suspect he took subtle cues from The Other. Among other things, little Danny Torrance's psychic manifestation of "the shining" is curiously similar to a phenomena called "playing the game" in Tryon's story.

Thomas Tryon wrote with an elegant style somewhat reminiscent of H.P. Lovecraft's. His plots were engaging, his characters interesting and well developed, and his New England settings evoked the gloom and obscure anxiety traditionally associated with that region. So why has his work faded into near-obscurity while King's is heralded as the greatest in the history of horror?

Regrettably, Tryon, who was one of the most highly regarded young actors in Hollywood, started writing rather late in life and died while his creative powers were waning. He also chose to explore genres other than the Gothic (with generally good results.) There is also a more staid, pre-World War II air about his work that might not appeal King's core audience. Nevertheless, Tryon's Gothic efforts translated wonderfully onto the small screen, and he deserves a well-deserved place in the pantheon of American Gothic writers.

Thankfully, American Movie Classics has begun airing The Other again, and a new generation of fans now has the opportunity to enjoy this seminal work of cinematic horror.
  • Based off the book of the same name, this is a tale of two young twin boys who both appear innocent and sweet in appearance, but one of them is pure evil and is killing off all of the pesky citizens of a small mid-western town at the beginning of the 1920's.

As I said in my summary line, this is one of the best horror films to grace a movie screen. Legendary acting coach Uta Hagen turns in the kind of performance that people only dream about. It seems like she also must have helped out the rest of the cast, because everyone surronding her turns in their best work to date. The film doesn't pile on the blood, but what it lacks in blood it certainly makes up for in suspense and sheer terror. It has a dazzling array of plot developments you just don't see coming from miles away and it is equally sad, scary, and beautiful. The director just hasn't crafted a great horror film, he has crafted a truly great film. It should stand out as one of the best modern day films. I don't want to give away too much details about the film, because it could end up ruining your movie watching experience, but I will say this, it certainly is a film that should be required viewing. It was one of those films that took me by complete surprise. A totally professional production in every respect.

Rated PG; Violence.
  • As someone has already mentioned, this is the kind of film no one talks about but never forgets. A VERY creepy tale of two twins--one good, the other evil--and what happens one summer.

The setting is beautiful (1920s Midwest), the acting is superb (especially those creepy twins) and there is a real shocking twist halfway through. Also there are a few death scenes in the movie all done with no blood or gore, but they're among the scariest I've ever seen. I'll NEVER forget the shot of someone falling down a well or the father falling down a ladder and landing headfirst on a cement floor. It also ends on a very ambiguous note--the book is clearer.

This is not a horror film that leaps out at you--the scares in it are quiet ones. An unique and excellent psychological horror film--DO NOT MISS IT!!!
  • I'm a thirtysomething who saw this movie as a kid, and it still ranks among the scariest movies that I've ever seen. I've not had luck locating it on video, but, if you find it, check it out. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. This is one scary movie that you're not likely to forget.
  • What can I say? This is an excellent film! I caught the beginning of "The Other" a few months ago on AMC, and of course, it was coming on late on a Saturday night...I didn't get to finish it, but what I saw intrigued me enough to look for the film. As I began to search the web, I found that the movie was based on an out-of-print book by Thomas Tryon. I picked up the book first, and was mesmerized! I also bought a copy for my mother, a bona-fide horror guru. I began talking up the book amongst my friends, many of whom were surprised that I claimed to be a horror fan and had never seen the film!

The movie has a definite look and feel to it, and Mulligan is to be commended for it. From the opening credits, featuring the incomparable Jerry Goldsmith's score, to the opening scenes in the woods, you know that no good is going to come of this. I won't spoil the film for those (and there's no doubt many) that haven't seen it. If you enjoy a good, solid psychological horror story, you will not be disappointed. If you're looking for blood and gore, don't bother.

There's solid performances from the twins, and of course, from Uta Hagen. My one true complaint comes from the ending...it seemed a little rushed, and deviated from the book too much, in a production that otherwise had followed the book quite faithfully. Tryon did write the screenplay himself, based on his own book, so how much can one complain about it? I just feel that the film would've benefited from another ten minutes, ending exactly like the book, including the surprising (and wide-open for interpretation) last chapter.

I adore discovering a film or book that I've never heard of, and, once discovering it, find that the movie has a lot of fans. This is another such movie. It deserves to be on DVD in the worst kind of way. Fans of thrilling, psychological, suspenseful movies will be well served by "The Other." If you haven't seen it, or read it, you should.
  • Seldom does a movie capture the pure essence of the novel from which it is derived. This is especially true with classic tales of terror. "The Shining" and "The Exorcist" are two blatant examples of mega-movies that "sold out" with inane dialogue, cheap scare tactics and over-baked performances. Sometimes it takes a little guy to show the big guys how to do it right.

Wisely, author (and former actor) Tom Tryon took no chances at having someone else toy with his fragile, exquisitely crafted tale of the supernatural and adapted the screenplay himself from his own novel. And we are all the better for it because "The Other" is arguably one of the most subtle, hauntingly elegant tales to grace the big screen. Might I be so bold as to say Tryon actually improves on his complex, often exasperating book in terms of continuity and clarity. An exercise in restraint, the screenplay is simple yet rich, carefully constructed, and motivated by strong, three-dimensional characters. The film itself is muscular in concept, tone, and visual image.

Identical twin boys living on a lonely, remote country homestead are left to their own imaginary devices for fun-and-games on the farm...with tragic results.

To say anything more would be unconscionable. Just don't let the languid pace of the film fool you. It's intentional. The movie slowly builds, giving in to one of the most shattering climaxes I've ever experienced, with plenty of plot twists to play with your mind. And, like Hitchcock at his best, its done with intelligence, not with buckets of blood.

The performances are stellar. Newcomers Chris and Martin Udvarnoky as the twins came out of nowhere to star in this modest little feature and disappeared just as quickly. Which is eerie in itself since these two youngsters are absolute naturals and could have easily been the Haley Joel Osments of the 70s. Diana Muldaur is quite moving here, possessing the right mixture of anguish and dread as the twins' invalid mother. This role is a far cry from the feisty cut-throat attorney she played years later on "L.A. Law." Other familiar faces include Victor "Highway to Heaven" French as a menacing hired hand and a pre-"Three's Company" John Ritter as the buoyant father-to-be. Best of all, however, is the chance to see legendary acting coach Uta Hagen in a rare, heart-wrenching turn as the boys' altruistic grandmother. Her last scenes will not soon be forgotten.

This moody little thriller deserved a bigger and better release. Don't miss it. And don't forget "the game"!!!
  • keithanderson119 August 2005
    The subtle manner with which Tyron presented this simple tale is adhered to masterly by Mulligan in this great film. Of course, the subtlety itself lends a stark contrast and thereby, much muscle to the chilling aspects of the story. A simple formula, yet so well done that it has haunted me for about 28 years now. I was 13 or 14 when I happened to catch it in its original theatrical run in 1972. For me, it's become one of those rare discoveries that truly feels like something of my own, an artist or particular piece of work that I feel a strong attachment to. Chiefly because they're/it's really good, but also largely due to his/her/their/it's seemingly preposterous and sometimes perplexingly enduring relative anonymity in such a vast sea of mediocrity. Bill Hicks (THE bastion of truth and best comedian EVER) and countless bands you've never heard of come to mind. "The Other" became so obscure that I didn't see it again for about 25 years. I finally got a copy of the pan and scan (P/S) tape (released in 1989) on ebay 5 or 6 years ago, but not before begging AMC to run it. They eventually began running it, years later. It's still the P/S version and all I can currently find on ebay is a homemade DVR of the same (FMC has the P/S version scheduled for 8/31/05). It's a paradox, but we want everyone to know about our secret discoveries. We want due acceptance, success and relevance for them. And we want verification for our fragile selves.

Deep, huh? That's my IMDb review. It's my first one and may well be the only 10 stars I EVER afford any film. I can't think of a more deserving film to bear the burden of a standard.

PS to the POWERS THAT BE: Please release a widescreen deluxe edition DVD of this title while the principles are still available for commentary.

Keith KA0001-081905
  • OH MY GOD,

This movie is so creepy. I have to see if the DVD is available for this. I remember this from childhood and just get chills from the sound echoing in my head of a finger being cut off w/ garden shears, 'Shining' like feeling of 'the game' and evil twin brother killing anyone that gets in his path. Great direction, acting, and writing. I see here on imdb that this same director did many great films 'To Kill a Mockingbird', 'Up the Down Staircase', 'Same Time Next Year' You can really tell that an experienced director made this film. John Ritter's first serious movie part ever. Up there with some of the best Stephen King stories. The Other will stay in your head whether you want it to or not.
  • Thomas Tryon's "The Other" has been long been championed by cult film fans as a neglected/forgotten gem of subtle 70's horror. Yes, there is a definite feel of craftsmanship and creepiness to the movie, but these virtues are easily eclipsed by the films large weaknesses.

This 1935-based tale of 12 year-old twin boys(1 good/1 bad-supposedly),their evil, mysterious secrets and the effects of such on their family does have a good foundation. The 30's New England country is really brought to life visually. You can almost feel the smothering summer heat and cool crispness of the local swimming hole. Add to that an excellent supporting cast and a stunner of a musical score from Jerry Goldsmith and things should turn out pretty satisfying.

But- They don't. There are an abundance of problems that crush the movie's basic setting.

First off, we have to deal with the Perry twins, played by real twins Martin & Chris Udvarnoky. It's easy to see why neither of them made another appearance. Since the plot completely revolves around them, their performances need to be strong. They're just not up for the task, and their puffy-lipped, hyper "acting" proves not only quite irritating, but also serves to actually push the viewer away from wanting to invest emotions into the story.

Next up is the pacing. The whole thing moves along like a turtle with weights on its legs trying to climb a molasses covered hill. It's a dialogue laden trudge that seems to happen onto moving forward rather than seeking it.

Finally, there is the story itself. It's simply weak. It tries to bolster itself through loads of red herrings and unanswered questions, but when the key "secret" is apparent almost immediately, these mysteries prove to be nothing more than poor attempts to hide underdeveloped storytelling. Even the conclusion of the flick disappoints; it's grim, uneasy nature and lack of a much-needed sense of justice ends the proceedings on a sour note.

Like many others, I was a pre-teen in the 70's who loved the late-night horror films/shows that dominated the era. In fact, I probably enjoy them now more than ever, pursuing and adding them to my collection at every possible opportunity. So, when I say "The Other" is a misfire not worth watching, it's with disappointment, not malice.
    I watched this movie this afternoon just to see if I would be immune to its ghoulishness after all these years--first saw it when I was nine-- and guess what? Still one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen.

The twins playing the dual lead roles pull off the amazing feat of being incredibly engaging and likable while still being creepy as all heck.I think that is what is most disturbing to me about this film--that sometimes evil convinces itself it means well...

Anyway, tight, disarmingly natural acting from the kids, gut-wrenching moments that don't rely on slash/splash, and IMHO it really does justice to the equally unsettling novel by Thomas Tryon on which it was based.
  • I saw this movie about 20 years or so ago it still haunts me to this day. I will never EVER forget it! It creeped me out so bad, and certain very disturbing images still come into my mind. I saw it back then, and will not ever want to see it again. If you want to be scared, or be haunted and are a fan of The Excorcist, Omen, etc I dare you to watch this movie. YOU'll never forget it! I don't care how long ago you have seen it, trust me it will stay with you!!
    Taped this film during the wee hours of the AM and enjoyed the photography and the crazy plot concerning twin boys who are controlled by their fathers ring and a spinning weather vein with lots of thunder and lightning. There is a constant struggle between GOOD vs. EVIL and many strange things happen to adults and even a baby. One of the twins try going to church and wishing an Angel will be able to come to his aid. Uta Hagen (Ada),"The Boys from Brazil",'78, and Chris Udvarnoky,(Niles Perry), gave a good performance running all around their farm land in short pants and getting into all kinds of trouble. If you look real close, you will see John Ritter(Rider), "Manhood",'03, very young slim and trim and just starting out in his wonderful career. This film is great for Halloween and it seems that in this film, EVIL overcomes Good. Give it a look and find out!
  • sfjburk159111 July 2002
    This is my favorite movie of all time. Full of suspense, horror, and innocence - all at the same time. The acting, writing, and directing are all top-notch. There is a feeling of "doom" throughout the movie that makes the viewer hold their breath. Beautifully filmed in the countryside adding to the innocence of the main characters and the severity of the horror that they go through.
    When I rented this movie, I didn't expect much. I had seen it years ago in a drive in theater and didn't remember it that well. I musta been lookin' at my boyfriend instead of the screen, because, wow, what a great movie! The movie starts out showing 2 boys, twins, playing. You soon find out that one of the boys is dead. One of them is also very evil. Now the question: Is Niles imagining his dead brother is contacting him, or is the bond between psychic twins not to be broken, even by death? You see, grandma has taught Niles how to play a little game.... Don't miss it! Good movie!
    If you were a kid in the 70's like me, this movie would have been etched in your mind. It definitely stayed with me all these years. I was super excited to find a copy in my local library.

It wasn't as dark as I remembered it (literally lots of day shots, country feel, country jargon "For cripes sake!" Lol.) I also didn't realize that John Ritter, who I love, had a small part in the movie. There were definite twists and turns I had long forgotten about.

*Spoiler Alert* The multiple animal graves is a tip off that someone is a serial killer in the making. Also, is Niles really Holland? Towards the end that question is brought into play.

If you're a fan of 70's creepy movies this is a must see!

I'm going to look for the novel now!
    This horror movie, directed with great subtlety by Robert Mulligan, is practically guaranteed to keep the audience off center. Mulligan plays merry hell with the audience, keeping the viewer in the dark even though the film, set in the summertime, is brightly lit.

Summer 1935. Twelve-year-old twins Niles (Chris Udvarnoky) Perry and his brother Holland (Martin Udvarnoky), adorable little boys with a great deal of charm (Niles especially), are doing what little boys do in the summer: running here and there, drinking from the fountain in the yard, playing this game and that, and skirting up to the edge of mischief without actually going in.

At least at first. There is another character in this triangle: the twins' grandmother Ada Vedrenya (Uta Hagen, the great acting teacher from HB Studio in one of her rare film roles).

Hagen is a fascinating actress. Her film career was extremely short and usually consisted of dark roles such as the Russian grandmother here. Fans will also remember her in THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL and REVERSAL OF FORTUNE. She was a prodigious talent on the New York stage; film seemed to be her way of paying the bills.

Also in the family we have Alexandra Perry (Diana Muldaur), the boys' mother who is clearly haunted by something but we don't get to find out what it is until the last reel. The boys also have an adopted sister (Jenny Sullivan), who is in residence with her husband Rider (John Ritter in a VERY early film role), Aunt Vee (Norma Connolly), Uncle George (Lou Frizzell) and the twins' much- hated cousin Russell (Clarence Crow), a chubby boy who hates his cousins as much as they hate him.

Trouble is, things HAPPEN to anyone the twins hate. The first one to get it is cousin Russell, skewered on a pitchfork jumping into a haymow.

As the plot unravels, we discover that the peculiar events have something to do with Ada and "the game" she plays with the twins. This is the first film to deal with telekinesis: it didn't start with CARRIE but CARRIE was the apotheosis of the subject.

But as in CARRIE, things get out of hand and Ada quickly loses control over what she had thought was a harmless game.

The ending is a shocker with a 360 degree twist that I definitely did not see coming.

Splendid acting, a great script from Tryon's novel, and the work of a director with sure hands and an eye for what scares us.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is THE OTHER. Check it out!
    I saw this as a "TV Movie Of The Week" when I was a few years younger than the actors portraying these twins...and, they really scared me!

As a child, I thought "Wow! These twins would be the 'ultimate bullies' in school! Get on their bad side, and, even adults cannot protect you...they'll kill adults, too!"

Along with the novel it's based upon, this movie is very good...and, believably-terrifying!

This movie is:

detailed in astral-projection, and, its misuse;

lead by a European-born grandmother (portrayed by the great Uta Hagen) who is believable in her knowledge and sensibility of 'controlling' magic, and, not abusing it in wrongful and selfish ways;

about such power and knowledge punitively abused by children who feel even slightly threatened by others;

for anyone who likes a great thriller about the handling of 'good' powers by those who use them in a 'bad' way.

I like this movie...mainly because it's presented in a non-grotesquely manner, which, in this case, is even more frightening than if it were all blood-and-guts; and, because, children are involved...and, that's even more disturbing!

If you decide to watch this...you won't believe the twisted ending; nor, who/whom is behind it all!
    After viewing Roman Polanski's film version of Ira Levin's 'Rosemary's Baby', actor Thomas Tryon (1926-1991) was inspired to write his own Gothic horror novels. His first effort, 'The Other' (Knopf, 1971), proved to be both very good and a major bestseller, quickly prompting Tryon to join forces with director Robert Mulligan ('To Kill a Mockingbird'; 'Summer of '42') to create a film version. Set in the summer of 1935 on a Connecticut farm (but actually shot in Murphys, California in the Sierra Nevada mountains, 150 miles east of San Francisco), 'The Other' focuses on Niles Perry (Chris Udavarnoky), a 12-year-old boy coming of age in a family rocked by tragedy: Niles' identical twin brother, Holland (Martin Udavarnoky), has recently died from a mysterious illness, as has his father in a freak accident, and the boy's grief-crazed mother, Alexandra (Diana Muldaur), is struggling to maintain the last vestiges of her sanity. The late, mischievous Holland Perry is dead to everyone except Niles, who sees and converses with his brother and firmly believes that Holland has come back from the grave to keep him company. Either an evil spirit or a figment of Niles's twisted imagination, Holland—abetted by the Perry's strange, ethereal grandmother Ada (Uta Hagen)—prompts Niles to arrange "accidents" that kill or paralyze family members. Or is it all entirely Niles' doing? The perfectly balanced ambiguity at the heart of the story, which equally supports a supernatural or psychological explanation, is not original with Tryon; Henry James introduced the trope in his great horror novella, 'The Turn of the Screw' (1898, also made into a hauntingly effective film version entitled 'The Innocents', 1961). Beautifully photographed by Robert L. Surtees ('The Graduate'; 'The Last Picture Show'), 'The Other' starts slowly but inexorably builds to a powerful climax and must be ranked one of the most underrated horror films ever made. VHS (1989) and DVD (2006).
  • BaronBl00d29 December 2004
    Thomas Tryon's bestselling book is brought to screen by Tryon's own screenplay and the direction of Robert Mulligan. With a solid cast and a very rare performance by acting coach/teacher Uta Hagen, The Other would seem to have all the necessary components to be a great film. It isn't. It is good; however, and, for the most part, entertaining if not suspenseful. The film is competently yet uninventively directed and Hagen is exceptional in her role and Diana Muldaur does a fine job as well, yet some of the performers give very stilted performances. The problems with the film stem mostly from Tryon's script with gives far too much away far too early. I knew where the film was going fifteen minutes into it. There goes the suspense factor to a large degree. Another problem is the actors playing the twins. I just didn't buy them as very good actors. I found them really more annoying than anything else. This also lessened the credibility of what was going on in the film for me. There are some bright spots though in the film. Hagen is a real treasure to watch as she shines in every one of her scenes. The rustic settings were well-shot. John Ritter and Victor French have small roles. Tryon does have a good story to tell that has some powerful moments. As far as detailing what a film is about, The Other presents lots of problems if one goes into too much detail one gives too much away. Not that any reasonably bright person can't figure everything out rather quickly anyway.
    Proebly the most terrifying horror ever made-absolutely horrifying-DON'T SEE IT UNLESS YOUR A TRUE HORROR FAN-it's VERY WELL DONE. The story centers on 2 brothers, one good one evil.

I originally saw this movie when I was quite young, I honestly have never seen a more terrifying movie. More disturbing then anything out now and a movie not alot of people know about. Must see for ANYONE who is a fan of psychological thrillers and is bored with what's currently available to them.(There are a few grusome scenes but this movie doesn't need ANY gore to terrify.)

SPOILERS:DO NOT READ ANYMORE UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW!!

Most disturbing scenes: 1)what happens to the baby.

2)When you see that scene of Niles "talking" to Holland. Maybe the CREEPYEST scene in a movie yet. Who could ever forget that?

This just proves that a true scary movie doesn't need gore, guts and cliche scare tactics to truely terrify. Again, a must see for horror fans, I plan to see it again myself if I can ony sit through it.