• I wonder just how many people over the years, from its European theatrical release to its present place on public domain video, have found themselves swindled by this movie. Though the two main characters of this movie have the names "Trinity" and "Sartana", this movie has absolutely no connection to those two famous spaghetti film series. I knew that when I picked up this movie, but I thought I still might get some enjoyment out of it since I love spaghetti westerns.

But despite my love of spaghetti westerns, I found this one very painful to sit through. It's a somewhat comic spaghetti western, but I did not laugh or smile once. The humor is unimaginative and often falls on familiar slapstick. But what's worse is the story - there's no real story, it's mainly a series of vignettes with loose connections to each other. What's even worse about this is as the movie goes on, it makes less and less sense, so at the end I had no idea what the hell was going on.

If you must watch this, seek out a widescreen print. The pan-and-scan version frequently chops off important stuff from the sides of the image so that the movie makes even less sense.
  • Ready for some cold spaghetti from the bottom of the pot? Despite being a good looking production, Trinity & Sartana is about as sophisticated as a Three Stooges short, only with fewer laughs, no chemistry from the two leads, and the worst spaghetti western score I've ever heard. Also, whoever designed "Sartana's" costume should be tarred and feathered.

Harry Baird, who plays Trinity (that's Trinity from Trinidad) and who's usually in better movies, heads a cast of familiar European faces in this typical tale of a couple of outlaws who find it easy to rob banks but hard to keep the money since Trinity (from Trinidad) keeps giving away the loot.

It's a testament to the popularity of the real Trinity and the real Sartana (and the real Django for that matter) that literally dozens of (mostly) dull movies came along to capitalize on them by attempting to trick unsuspecting moviegoers into watching inferior films.
    Black British actor Harry Baird and Robert Widmark star as the lead characters in director Mario Siciliano's "Trinity and Sartana: Those Dirty S.O.B.s" (1972),an inept comic oater about two hard-luck Robin Hood style outlaws that bears absolutely no resemblance to the two protagonists immortalized respectively by Terence Hill in "They Call Me Trinity" (1970) and "Trinity Is Still My Name" (1971), and Gianni Garko in the 1968 shoot-em up "If You Meet Sartana, Pray For Your Life" and later "Sartana the Gravedigger" (1969) and "Have A Good Funeral My Friend . . . Sartana Will Pay" (1970). Wisely, scenarist Adriano Bolzoni of "The Mercenary" (1968) clears up any confusion early on in this 102 minute Spaghetti western about the difference between the Terence Hill character and the protagonist that everybody calls Trinity (Harry Baird of "Tarzan The Magnificent") before setting the shallow plot into motion. The Trinity character here is called Trinity because he hails from the island of Trinidad and has been struggling to collect $5-thousand dollars so that he can return to his paradise. Trinity and Sartana (Robert Widmark, aka Alberto Dell'Acqua of "Kill Them All and Come Back Alone"), are saddle tramps who ride the same trail in search of adventure. In this slapstick juvenile western, Sartana is a carefree, quick-drawing, sharp-shooting, blond, ne'er-do-well cowboy who dresses like Roy Rogers and performs acrobatic stunts like Jackie Chan.

Our heroes clash with an ambitious town boss, Burton (Stelio Candelli of "Planet of the Vampires"), whose greed knows no limits. Initially, Burton and his henchmen plan to rob the local bank. Sartana, however, beats them to the loot. This bank robbery is about as inventive as this silly Spaghetti western gets. Sartana carves a hole in the rear wall of the bank, climbs inside the vault, and then robs the bank as the lawmen and the banker are about to deposit the money! As Sartana pitches one bag of gold out of the hole to his compadre Trinity, little does he know that Trinity will claim it all for himself and then turn it over to poor landowners who were swindled out of their property by the dastardly Burton. The main part of the plot concerns an arrangement between the Mexican government and the United States. The Mexicans ship golden ingots across the border to Texas and the U.S. Government melts the gold down into pesos before returning it to the Mexican authorities. Burton learns about his deal and plans to steal $2-million dollars in gold with the help of a notorious Hispanic hard-case called 'The Tiger' (Alan Abbott, aka Ezio Marano of "Beast with a Gun") and his thirty trigger-happy pistoleers. Trinity and Sartana keep their distance from tough Texas Rangers escorting the stagecoach carrying the loot to the border rendezvous. This sounds a lot like the U.S./Mexican exchange in "A Fistful of Dollars." Meanwhile, 'The Tiger' and his hombres get the drop on the Mexican soldiers, don their uniforms, and impersonate them when the Texas Rangers show up. Not long afterward, Trinity and Sartana team up with a grizzled old drummer Bud Benny Bud (Dante Maggio of "For A Few Dollars More") who hides a deadly Gatling gun in a piano aboard his wagon. They use the Gatling gun to even the odds and rob Burton and the Tiger. No sooner have our heroes saved the day than the Texas Rangers ride back to the rendezvous with authentic Mexican troopers to reclaim the gold.

"Trinity and Sartana: Those Dirty S.O.B.s," a thoroughly forgettable horse opera, scrapes the bottom of the barrel for humor.
  • First things first: get past the exploitive title, as this has no bearing on either the Terence Hill "Trinity" or the Gianni Garko "Sartana" series. You'll notice straightaway that Trinity is played by a black man (given his name, it is quickly explained, because he hails from Trinidad). And Sartana, although a handsome blonde, is more vagabond scoundrel than Garko's finely- dressed card-sharp. At least the two men are called by their titular names in the picture, which is untrue of some cash-in Western characters.

You'll find the film to be an affable, meandering, buddy-western comedy with no grand aspirations, but yet an agreeable watch for the genre fan.

The loose plot of the pic has our two partners-in-crime planning various schemes in order to line their pockets, and specifically to raise the $5000 necessary for Trinity to return to his homeland. Along the way, our heroes encounter the usual bumps in the road: crooked town bosses, pretty girls with bottles of wine, crusty old traveling musicians, Mexican bandits, etc. After numerous starts and stops, their final heist involves robbing a stagecoach headed for the US/Mexico border.

Despite the impediment of dubbed performances, I was quite enamored of Harry Baird as Trinity and Alberto ("Robert Widmark") Dell'Acqua as Sartana. Widmark, who we can only assume took his stage name from his slight resemblance to Richard Widmark, is a fresh- faced, grinning SOB who brings a spirit of mirth to his antics. He is also quite adept at acrobatic hand-to-hand combat and leaping stunts, bringing to mind Jackie Chan during the film's various brawls. Baird is more the straight man, with deadpan one-liners and reaction shots appropriately scattered throughout the proceedings.

A "funny", circus-like theme (by Carlo Savina) repeats here and there just to remind us not to take any of this too seriously -- the music is infectious and is one of the film's assets.

I saw a cropped, non-pan&scan version (101min) of this on a budget DVD, which detracted from the experience a bit. Don't know if a widescreen version is to be had anywhere but would be a great improvement.

TRINITY AND SARTANA, THOSE DIRTY SONS OF B****** (as the on screen title reads) plays as a genial, unimposing Spaghetti Western buddy comedy. Taken in the correct spirit it serves its purpose, led along by its two fine leads and a what-the-heck attitude. 6/10.
  • I watched this on an almost impossibly cropped version (starring 'ry Baird' and 'Rob Wid') with a metallic echo on the soundtrack for the entire running time, and I still kind of liked it. Trinity and his buddy Sartana (I think it's hinted that the real Sartana was his dad) set off to rob folks, have a punch, do some fancy shooting, and indulge in some banter. If your tolerance for Italian comedies is high, you'll get a kick out of this one. However, if you can't stand slapstick, I'd steer clear of this, because the film is full of it. There's even a Benny Hill, speeded up sequence, fake black eyes, and some hearty racist dialogue aimed at Trinity (who then kicks their heads in).

There's not much of a plot, just some crooks trying to get gold that our boys are after too. It's fairly fast paced and I didn't get bored once. It's also as daft as hell though, so be warned - this ain't no grim Western.
    Comic westerns were all the rage back in the early '70s, spearheaded by the success of Terence Hill and Bud Spencer in their many pairings. I have to confess that I'm not really a big fan of the genre. Sure, I like some of the movies on occasion, but the overriding goofiness and silly slapstick can quickly outstay its welcome for me. So when I sat down to watch TRINITY AND SARTANA, SONS OF BITCHES, I was in for a bum-numbing viewing experience. This is a one-hour-and-forty-five-minute movie that easily feels double that length, thanks to the plodding, barely-existent storyline and the sheer number of extraneous characters and sub-plots that go nowhere. Essentially this is a film where our two heroes wander around, getting into one scrape after another, but always coming out on top.

Headlining the cast is Robert Widmark, who starred in a series of Italian/Turkish rip-offs known as the Three Superguys series, which in turn ripped off the 'Three Supermen' films popular in Italy. I've never liked Widmark and here, he's resplendent in cowboy gear, complete with gold locks and his trademark impish character. He struts his stuff in a series of athletic fight scenes, doing some Yuen Biao-style wall-jumps and essentially acting as a knockabout fighter a la Jackie Chan. Unfortunately Widmark remains frankly annoying throughout the entire movie, so his role is a big turn-off for me. However, he's countered by the second star, Harry Baird, a black British muscleman who first starred in the likes of THOR AND THE AMAZON WOMEN before turning to spaghetti westerns in the 1970s. In a word, Baird is fantastic, a performer with a gift for comedy – witness his expressions and his timing. It's a real shame that he developed blindness due to glaucoma and had to give up acting, because I've really liked this guy, no matter how bad the film is in which he's starring.

The rest of the cast are essentially irritating, especially the guy playing 'El Tigre', whose overacting knows no limits. So what of the story? I admit, I found it hard to follow, with my attention wandering on more than one occasion. There are bar-room brawls (one at the end lasts a good ten minutes!), Widmark using some kind of heavy Gatling gun to tackle enemies, and a distinct lack of any kind of violence or bloodshed – this is tame, kiddie stuff all the way. The action fails to ignite the screen and the film as a whole feels like a bloated mess, with only Baird's appearance making things slightly bearable. In all other ways I find this a failure.
    Not too long ago I watched the John Wayne film "McLintock!", and that one had a a pretty decent mudhole brawl involving all of it's well known cast. Now "Trinity and Santana Are Coming" isn't going to be considered in the same league with a Wayne film, or just about any other reputable Western for that matter, but it's got probably the longest saloon brawl I've seen yet, clocking in at just about a full seven minutes on screen. Try watching anything for seven minutes when you've got the stopwatch running and that's a pretty long time. So as goofy as this flick is, that bar fight makes my IMDb 'Best Western Brawls' list elsewhere on this site.

As for the rest of the story, let's just say it was filler for a couple of saddle tramp buddies (Robert Widmark and Harry Baird) to team up, raise hell and rob banks, only to have Trinity (Baird, from Trinidad) give it away to those less fortunate. I saw this picture under the title "Trinity and Santana... Those Dirty SOB's" and you know, it kind of fits. But their likable SOB's as far as that goes, even if it doesn't go very far.

You know, the name Robert Widmark had me going for a while because depending on the angle, the Trinity character did have a passing resemblance to a young Richard Widmark. So it was a little surprising to see that his real name is Alberto Dell'Acqua. Had I been a real serious follower of this spaghetti Western genre stuff I would have known better, but it's just one more way for the film makers to rip off the Terence Hall/Bud Spencer pair of films. Not to be too harsh though, it's an entertaining flick with it's requisite high flying antics by Widmark's Trinity, and his affable, equally sharp shooting pal Santana.
  • This is a pretty silly movie. If this was in the Police Academy series of movies, it would be somewhere between Assignment Miami Beach (where they still made an effort to care about the series) and City Under Siege (the official F*** it, let's go make some cash sequel). The jokes are plentiful and plenti-awful, and the romance is super cheese.

This is still definitely a genre movie, however, and all the reasons to enjoy Spaghetti Westerns exist in this world, even if on a watered down level. There is one thing in particular that really makes this movie watching, however, and that is the crazy Parkour moves of the Sartana character! He's all over the place, extremely athletic, and makes the fights/escapes very entertaining.

Rating: 18/40
  • This film begins with a man by the name of "Trinity" (Harry Baird) being released from a small town jail for being wrongly accused of horse theft. As it turns out, the man who stole the horses was a white man with blonde hair and Trinity definitely doesn't fit that description. Not long after he is released he subsequently meets up with a man named "Sartana" (Robert Widmark) who just happens to be the same person who stole the horses. Together they ride out to their next destination to rob a bank that just received a cashbox full of money. What they don't know is that a wealthy member of this town by the name of "Mr. Burton" (Stelio Candelli) has already devised a plan to steal this shipment and doesn't like it when these two men acquire the money first. So to prevent a future theft from going awry he hires the services of a gang of Mexican bandits led by "El Tigre" (Ezio Marano) to help him out. But as notorious as El Tigre might be he has no idea of the abilities the two men he will have to face. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a rather haphazard Spaghetti Western which relied upon humor as a key element. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work very well as the comedy wasn't very sharp at all. As a matter of fact, if not for the presence of two beautiful actresses like Beatrice Pellegrino (as Burton's wife "Maribel") and Daniela Giordano ("Martha") I would have rated this film even lower as they were the only bright spots to be found.