• If that phrase puts you in the mind of Gil Gerard, Erin Gray and lots of "Star Wars"-derived FX, you already know where a movie like "Buck Rogers" is coming from.

If not, then let me enlighten you.

Most everyone familiar with sci-fi know Buck's story (frozen astronaut from 20th century is revived in the 25th century, must learn to re-adapt). This was old news as far back as the '40s.

But in the '70s...well.... Let's just say that it looks new. For the '70s.

Gil is game as Buck, shooting laser guns and cracking wise and making a good space-age hero. And Gray's Wilma Deering is both stern and soft as the Earth's military leader. Felix Silla makes a good impression as Twiki (with a more-than-equal assist from Mel Blanc's voice wizardry) and as Princess Ardala, Hensley gives what must be the most sensual performance from an alien up to that point in time.

But the special effects are clearly from the '70s, as is the music (disco music in the 25th century? Someone must have unearthed Studio 54.) and the set design: its glittery, shiny look may have been futuristic then, but now it just looks more '70s than anything else.

Yes, it's a dated future.

But is it entertaining?

Pretty much. No one went into this thinking they were making "2001", but are spots here and there where it looks like everyone was having a good time with the material. Especially Gil, who just plain has fun with his role as the 25th century's loosest guy.

Too bad they cut out Wiseman's work as King Draco. Some of his best stuff since "Dr. No".

Six stars. Here's to futures past.
  • A long time ago, in a childhood far, far away...

I remember seeing 'Buck Rogers' in the theater in 1978, back when 'Star Wars' was king of the box office, 'Battlestar Galactica' was smashing all ratings records, and science-fiction was experiencing a renaissance of sorts - it was a great time to be a kid.

'Buck Rogers' struck me as an all-right kind of guy: dashing with the ladies, quick with a punch, did a nifty spinning side kick, had a way with a laser pistol, occasionally danced a little disco.

The movie itself was a harmless piece of fluff. Even as an 11-year-old, I found it to be simple, low-key, even charming. I bought the requisite number of toys, talked about it with my friends, and enjoyed the occasional episodes (once the film left the theaters and went to the small screen) with a bowl of Cheerios in my jammies. Life was good.

Looking back now, it's pretty obviously a product of the '70s. Sure, it had chicks in spandex. Sure, it had the gravity-defying hairdos (and bosoms) of some of Hollywood's most buxom beauties - who can forget the 'Volcanic Hot-Tub Room' scene in "Planet of the Slave Girls?", or Jamie Lee Curtis in "Unchained Woman"? Sure, it had the simple, brainless plots typical of '70s television. Sure, it had the unredeemable stupidity of the 'Searcher' episodes...

But, for a time, it was the best thing going for sci-fi on television.

Remember, this is a time before Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, or Star Trek: Fill-In-The-Blank. Science fiction on television wasn't a sure bet, nor was it always a ratings winner...even with it's target audience. Which, at the time, was me.

But 'Buck Rogers' had something going for it, something none of the other sci-fi shows ('Battlestar Galactica', et al) had going for them.

Erin Gray.

Oh, yeah. Erin Gray.

Let me tell you, one of the dates that stands out in my mind the strongest is January 3, 1980 - the date that the episode "Space Vampire" premiered. The day I became a man. :)

Okay, not really...but you have to understand - Erin Gray, spandex and vampires all combined to give my 11-year-old brain (among other things) something to think about with regard to women. Since then, no woman is truly attractive to me unless she can say in a sultry voice, "I like the taste of fear best." :)

Come on, it's only television! It doesn't have to be smart to be funny, it doesn't have to be expensive-looking to be cool. Just ask David Hasselhoff if he'd be in Baywatch Heaven without a certain Trans-Am, or if Dirk Benedict would have REALLY been as interesting to watch on the A-Team if we'd never seen him battling Cylons.

Erin Gray. Spandex. Vampires.

See, it all makes sense.

'Buck Rogers' appeals on the intellectual level of an 11-year-old, and for most of us, that's saying something.

'Buck Rogers' fueled a lot of my early television viewing entertainment, folks. Watch it, and you'll see why.

Of course, it helps if you watch it from an 11-year-old point of view, but that's more than most of us can muster anyway, yes?
  • BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25th CENTURY could easily have become dated camp, by now (Rogers' disastrous space tour was supposed to have occurred in 1987...did we miss it?), but there's such a sense of joy and humor to the production that it actually is more fun to watch today than when it was briefly released, theatrically, in 1979.

A large measure of this is due to Gil Gerard, as Capt. William 'Buck' Rogers, who gives an enthusiastic, likable performance. Some of his dialog is ripe with sexual innuendo, particularly in his scenes with Erin Gray, as the beautiful, if a bit wooden, professional soldier, Wilma Deering, but his rakish charm (and an occasional wink!) keeps the one-liners from sliding into bad taste. The other female lead, Pamela Hensley, as a bikini-clad evil Princess, would do Mae West proud with her lusty vampiness. Her scenes with Gerard, as she eyes him as an evening's 'entertainment', are a delight. (And in the "Is this a coincidence?" department...Her character is named Ardala, and wears a horned headpiece...Could George Lucas have been influenced by her when he created Natalie Portman's Princess Amidala in STAR WARS: EPISODE ONE - THE PHANTOM MENACE?) The other major male roles are filled by Henry Silva, as Ardala's superbly evil partner, Kane, and Tim O'Connor, wise and sympathetic, as Earth scientist Dr. Huer. Deserving recognition, as well, is Duke Butler, who, as Ardala's eunuch bodyguard, Tigerman, should find another line of work, considering how he fared against Rogers!

Ignore Twiki, the low-tech R2D2 rip-off (Mel Blanc voices him, with dialog lapsing into disco-era clichés and bad sexual puns), and Dr. Theopoulis (the talking Frisbee...well, that's what he looks like!), and concentrate on the decent FX and Gil Gerard's charismatic performance...and I think you'll find BUCK ROGERS a winner!
  • Qui-Gon Jim23 January 2001
    I happened to catch a 16mm print of this last weekend at a sci-fi movie marathon, and to my surprise, I really enjoyed it. Granted, I grew up watching the TV show, but hadn't seen it in years and had never seen the film.

Perhaps it's that sense of nostalgia that clouds my thoughts on it. The plot is decent, the sets need a lot of work and the effects are top-notch... for 1979. Still, I guarantee you that you will laugh and smile repeatedly, and find it hard to dislike this honest effort.

If you're in the mood for ridiculously cheesy 70s sci-fi, dancing robots and gorgeous women, then you really can't go wrong with this. If you're like me and trying to relive one's youth, by all means, go find a copy. By the way, would it be so hard for Universal to give this a DVD release? Please?
  • nikolajb23 October 2000
    Some friends and I rented this movie just for the kicks of making fun of it, but it turned out to be fairly good. Except for the cheesy 70's parts (check out Bucks dance act) which no live human could ever take seriously, this is an excellent movie, which I'll check out again in the near future.

• Flamio21 February 2001
    Awesome
    Great show! It was a great time to be a kid! Neat plots, great action. Awesome futuristic outfits. Buck was always the good guy fighting evil, yet always sad he lost his past. Great guest appearances by Coleman and Shoop. Hot chicks, handsome men, action, comedy, adventure,mystery, it had it all.

Why isn't this show in syndication??? Thumbs up!
  • It may be set in the 25th Century, but this 1979 version of the old Philip Francis Nowlan story is totally and unconditionally a product from the "Star Wars" era. Gil Gerard is a handsome block of wood playing Captain Buck Rogers, an American astronaut launched 500 years into the future and finding himself in the middle of a space war. Pamela Hensley is the sultry villainess Princess Ardala while Erin Gray is the no-nonsense Colonel trying to get Rogers out of her way (he seems more interested in loosening her up than flirting with the seductive princess). The action sequences were lifted from TV's "Battlestar Galactica", but the low-budget effects aren't really the problem, it's that the movie is so under-populated and blandly comical. This underachiever makes even "Logan's Run" seem like a sci-fi masterpiece. The robot Twiki is a cool creation, far outshining the humans, but even he couldn't save this from the ratings-basement once it became a weekly TV series. *1/2 from ****
  • Originally made as a TV movie pilot, Universal and producer Glen Larson followed the pattern they'd used for 'Battlestar Galactica' and released it theatrically first. It proved to be a modest hit (raking in $21 million), and thus NBC commissioned it to be turned into a weekly series.

It starts off with a rather Bondian opening title sequence, featuring several lovely ladies wriggling and writhing their way around, over and under a sleeping Buck Rogers (Gil Gerard) as a vocalized version of the 'Buck Rogers' theme plays. I found this to be the highlight of the movie.

The rest of the film plays like a discount 'Battlestar Galactica' (even recycling many of its props and sound f/x), keeping logic at arm's length while testing the lactose tolerance of the viewer. The Über masculine Gerard gives a charming performance as Buck and Pamela Hensley deliciously vamps her way through her scenes, but they're the equivalent of two chefs attempting to make a gourmet meal out of store brand ingredients.
  • Buck Rogers. The name conjures up memories of a by-gone era, two eras in fact. Buck was the hero of one of the earliest and most popular science fiction comic strips. He was also the hero of this post-Star Wars 70's film. In the former, Buck had been trapped in a cave-in, where strange gases put him to sleep, to finally wake in the 25th Century. In the latter, Buck is an astronaut who, due to an accident, is adrift, in suspended animation, to later arrive back on Earth, in the 25th Century. In both, Buck becomes a hero and savior of the Earth.

I first saw this movie in the theater. At the time, my friends and I clamored for anything remotely sci-fi; especially after the success of Star Wars. Unfortunately, that was a pretty mixed bag. For every Alien, there was a Battle Beyond the Stars. Others were a bit uneven; like Star Trek TMP, and this film.

The effects were fine, for the time period, but can't hold a candle to today's CGI, or even ILM's work of the era. The designs were interesting, if a little too pristine. The antiseptic look of Earth was a bit bland; the Draconian ship had far more character. The costumes were typical of a Glen Larson show; disco inspired and not very functional. I never liked the Earth flight suits, although the dress uniform at least looked military. Princess Ardala's costumes, though, were quite interesting (what there was of them, yowza!).

Gil Gerard was likeable as Buck; a cocky, confident hero. He was athletic enough to carry the fight scenes, but not so much that he never seemed in danger. Erin Gray was a tad subdued here; thankfully, her role was expanded in the later series. Pamela Hensley was a very steamy and sultry Ardala. Henry Silva, well, he was a bit stiff. Michael Ansara made a better Kane in the series.

The film has a few slow moments; but, for the most part, it's quite entertaining. The space scenes were good for their time, although marred by the use of stock footage. The disco music sucked even then. As Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars showed, a more classical, symphonic sound far better suited space opera. The only real complaint I had, at the time, was the abrupt change in Tigerman. One moment he is Duke Butler. Suddenly, at the end, it's Hard Boiled Haggarty! Hunh?!? Still, it's a minor quibble.

The film is an entertaining piece of 70's sci-fi and an enjoyable space opera. Compared to other Star Wars knock-offs of the era, it's practically 2001: A Space Odyssey. Now, how about a DVD with a commentary track from the actors?
  • If you like "Battlestar Galactica", you will love this movie, at least if you can sit through the incredibly cheesy and silly title sequence. Based extraordinarily loosely on the classic early 1900's sci-fi novel, this is a story of an American astronaut frozen in crygenic sleep for a deep-space exploration mission in the late 20th Century who returns home and awakens in the post-nuclear 25th century. He finds an Earth ravaged by nuclear war (the scene in bombed-out Chicago is particularly amusing to me, as a life-long Chicago native, even if the sets look NOTHING like State Street)but with survivors carrying on in underground cities.

Earth is about to be atacked by the evil Draconians, led by a lovely but devious Princess. Sort of an S&M version of Princess Leia. Anyway, the Draconians pretend to offer Earth help defeating some "Space Pirates", but the Pirates are really Draconian fighters.

What follows are some classic space battle scenes, a lot of running around in dark spaceship corridors, and a classic love triangle between Buck Rogers, the Evil Princess, and a female fighter pilot from Earth. Buck Rogers manages to sabotage and destroy the Draconian fighters and saves the day, of course.

Along the way, we get some amusing dialogue, and some VERY 1970's sci-fi scenes, including Buck Rogers introducing Disco music to the future. The sight of his robot Sidekick, Twiky, dancing to Disco music well saying "Get Down!" still haunts me today.

However, the babes are hot, the battles exciting, the effects good (for 1970's TV), and the story easy to follow. I like it, and wish I could find a copy. I haven't seen it in years.
  • Okay, if I had not grown up with the show then I am sure I would not find it so endearing - and speaking of Deering - Colonel Wilma Deering that is, what adolescent young man would not like seeing her each week? What Erin Gray does to tight green, red, blue, and purple spandex pants should be criminal...but I digress. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is a lot of fun for me. It has lots of hokey, enjoyable dialog, a zippy story of a guy returning 500 years later and dealing with everything he has missed, lots of familiar faces from my childhood, and the aforementioned Erin Gray who actually is fairly tame in this pilot/movie released for public consumption in theaters(Pamela Hensley as Princess Ardala gets to get the motors running in this one!). Yes, I saw this in the movie theater and didn't feel duped at all. I then watched it on a fairly regular basis and always enjoyed it. Returning to it has brought back fond memories, and unlike some shows that interested me as a child but made an unfavorable impression in middle age - Buck Rogers withstands the test of time and is still fun to watch. Sure, the effects are very dated and the actors are mugging for the camera and really saying dialog that will occasionally make you wince, but when I hear William Conrad's voice and know all systems go - I always seem to be entertained. Gil Gerard is a pretty good Buck. He has the looks and charisma to carry off the role. Sure, he is no Buster Crabbe - that might be a good thing? Other notable performances in this pilot are again Erin Gray(I don't know why but my mind keeps shamelessly drifting to her, Hensley, Tim O'Connor in the thankless role of Dr. Huer, Joseph Wiseman, and Henry Silva as Kane. Twiki the annoying robot is in here, and I am sure I liked him when I was younger but now more than anything I find his role to be unnecessary and a serious detractor from the plot as he seems to be able to understand Buck's language and speaks it with 20th century references to the point of Ad Nauseum. I think his character could have been excised or at least the stature of the role greatly changed. The round computer disc - Dr. Theopolis is a welcomed character and I wished they had used this voice in the latter episodes rather then the one they switched to in the series. One other note is check out that groovy soundtrack of the theme sung to some really far-out words by Kipp Lennon.
  • Great funny sci-fi gem. Bad guys, good guys, lots of laser blasts in space: just everything you crave for, if you like sci-fi in that ueberlife comic and pulp magazine style.

With Gil Gerard as Buck Rogers and Erin Gray as Colonel Wilma Deering we get a charming duo (love is in the air, even if they still don't know it) fighting the bad guys and saving Earth and humanity.

The synopsis tells us everything we need to know: a 20th century astronaut emerges out of 500 years of suspended animation into a future time where Earth is threatened by alien invaders.

What else!? Just watch and be entertained big-time.

p.s. the tv-show (2 seasons) is also not bad, but not every episode is a real killer or convincing, and the not too big budget shows.
  • johnc214115 February 2009
    buck rogers following in the aftermath of failed battlestar galactica was a corny but fun movie,and TV series following.it is a far cry from the classic original with buster Crabbe,who was gearing up for his last flash Gordon serial,you know flash Gordon conquers the universe in 1940.this movie serves as a pilot after a few edits at the end.Gil Gerard plays buck rogers.the special effects were pretty good,before the upcoming computer graphics so popular now.the cast is very good as well beautiful sexy and smart Erin Gray plays col Wilma deering,Tim O'Conner plays Dr.huer,Pamela Hensley as the sexy slinky and villainous princess ardala.with sinister Kane (Henry Silva)at her side.in the series Micheal Ansara assumes the role of Kane.i first saw buck rogers as a feature film at the movies.in like a few weeks later it seems it was on TV as series.about a year after battlestar galactica was canceled.incidentally buck rogers was also produced by Glen Larson.oh yeah there's also the little robot twiki played by Felix Silla.and voiced by the late great Mel Blanc(bugs bunny,Barney rubble,porky pig,etc;etc;)like i said its corny but fun,its not up to Star Wars but its fun to watch.the series lasted for two seasons.the second season was'nt as enjoyable as the first,since it was revamped and they tried to make it like star trek.as a blast from the past buck rogers delivers some good solid camp.I'm giving it 7 out of 10.
  • RELEASED TO theaters in 1979, six months before the series debuted on TV, "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" is the pilot to the show, renamed "Awakening" for the series.

THE STORY: In 1987 Captain William "Buck" Rogers (Gil Gerard) solo-pilots a space shuttle when a meteor storm freezes him into an orbit that returns him to Earth 500 years later. The shuttle is discovered in 2491 by the Draconian flagship under the command of Princess Ardala (Pamela Hensley) and her first officer, Kane (Henry Silva). They return Rogers to Earth where he meets Col. Wilma Deering (Erin Gray), Dr. Elias Huer (Tim O'Connor) and a curiously phallus-looking robot drone, Twiki (voiced by Mel Blanc), accompanied by the A.I. computer Dr. Theopolis (voiced by Howard F. Flynn). Buck learns that Earth suffered a planet-wide nuclear holocaust shortly after he launched into space, which has made Earth a wasteland, except for the impressively rebuilt New Chicago and some other cities. As Buck adjusts to the 25th century, he must convince the Terrans that the Draconians are scheming to conquer the planet.

COMMENTARY: Buck Rogers (the character) was originally conceived by Philip Francis Nowlan in 1928. This pilot movie (and the series) is quite cartoony and the effects are downright lame compared to the awe-inspiring "Star Trek: The Motion Picture," which came out (at the end of) the same year. Not to mention the original Star Wars Trilogy that was popular at the time. Heck, for the most part, the F/X don't even hold up to The Original Series of Star Trek that ran from 1966-1969. No kidding.

This doesn't mean, however, that this pilot isn't entertaining. It is to a degree; just don't expect the maturity or quality of Star Trek (TOS). Star Trek is dramatic science-fiction whereas Star Wars is fantasy packaged as science-fiction, which is 'space fantasy.' "Awakening" (and the series in general) tries to walk the line between these two and ends up being inferior to both. But, again, this doesn't mean it's not entertaining in its comic booky way.

While the script for "Awakening" is okay at best (and most of the ensuing episodes as well), the main protagonists and most of the guest stars are outstanding. Gil Gerard in the titular role, for instance, is just as effective as William Shatner as Captain Kirk, maybe even more so, if that were possible. And then there's Erin Gray as Col. Deering, one of the hottest space babes in the history of film or television. Not to mention, Pamela Hensley has the requisite "looks that kill" as the oversexed antagonist, Ardala (although she doesn't personally trip my trigger; she's just not curvy enough). The rest of the series features a gazillion female guests who are often more beautiful than these two, especially the 1st season. So "Buck Rogers" scores well on the female front.

The film is hard to rate because, on the one hand, the cheese-factor is so high with the comic book tone, flimsy sets, dubious special effects and banal storytelling, but the main protagonists and guest stars are outstanding and somehow pull off the material. It's amazing, but true. There's also something to be said for the nostalgic and innocent style of the pilot and series. Nevertheless, I can't in good conscience give "Buck Rogers in the 20th Century" (aka "Awakening") a higher rating.

THE MOVIE RUNS 89 minutes.

GRADE: C+
  • smommertz12 April 2006
    Although with this movie I become sentimental, I have to say that this movie is still enjoyable. The actors are not extremely good but because of their looks and the script (with the dialogs) it keeps me watching it again and again. Gil Gerard is very convincing in his role as Buck Rogers. The same I can say about Erin Gray. The Twiki character is extremely funny as well as Dr. Huer. My vote keeps being a 9 simply because of the special effects which are not perfect (although it is very hard to beat Star Wars). I can recommend this movie (and the series) to everybody who likes the late 70s and early 80s, something else than Star Wars and especially something else like Battlestar Galactica.
  • prohibited-name-224112 December 2005
    I remember going to see buck Rogers in the theater shortly after the release of Star Wars. I didn't know who Buck Rogers was but the movie was likable and the series was interesting and well done despite the era that it was done in. Erin Gray was likable as Col. Dearring. Twikki was great, but the second season was lacking in what most sci-fi shows of the era suffered from. No continuity and no growth for the characters. If it were remade today I think we would have a much better show with the us of CGI and writers who hopefully will create growth and continuity for the show. But it was made back during a time that disco was dying and Rock Music was becoming more predominate as a popular music. by the way for those who have not seen this show it's now available on DVD and this article contains no spoilers
  • It's important to realize there are actually two versions of this film.

The first was the Theatrical Release, which had a few well-placed Hells and Damns, as well as a painful kick in Duke Butler(Tigerman)'s testicles during the obligatory he-man fight scene. There is also a special-effects bonanza near the end of the film, when a hologram from the Draconian Warlord appears to chastise Kane (Henry Silva) for launching the attack (and failing!) before his arrival.

All of these aforementioned scenes were cut out in the TV Release, to make room for commercials, and to appease network censors. Regrettable, but these things happen.

But it was the TV Release which became the commercially-released video-tape! This is a major production goof, and it reveals the studio's utter contempt for the audience! If they didn't care enough to release the better version, or even bother to see which one they had in their hands, then they obviously don't think much of those who would pay to see it! Sadly, such an attitude only hurts the studio's image when looking at the video. From Gil Gerard's obviously doctored speech, to the suddenly paralyzed state of Tigerman, one cannot escape the sense that this was not a work of love, but something created to pad a few pockets and fill a network time-slot. Feeding time for the animals, in the studio's eyes!

What a way to treat "The Original Space Man"!
  • We all did stupid things when we were young, things that we seriously regret as adults. One of my regrets is liking this show as a kid. I knew even then that it wasn't good science fiction, but having seen it recently, I had but one reaction. Oh. My. God. The 70s weren't really this embarrassing, were they?

The plot was nonsensical and often non sequitur. Producer and writer Glen Larson used every cliché in the book, and then some. By the end, there was so little plot left that the movie was reduced to minutes on end of spaceships blowing up (and repetitive stock footage at that) and stuntmen being blown through the air. If James Cameron has been criticized for having a tin ear for dialogue, this makes his ear seem like solid gold.

By tying itself so much to a 1979 man, it dates itself far worse than Battlestar Galactica, also produced by Larson. And what a man Buck was. An arrogant, chauvinistic, hot-headed, perpetually smirking smart aleck with no regard for the rules or for the safety of others yet who somehow still manages to save the day by going with his gut. Oh, and he gets his own robot and all the women swoon over him. It's the fantasy of every pubescent and prepubescent boy, probably including Larson. Of course, by this time, Larson was already in his 40s, and his conception of what was "cool" for 1979 is laughable. But not as laughable as Gil Gerard in the tight, white uniform. All through the first season, my friends and I cracked up whenever "the paunch" would show up onscreen. Somebody should tell "futuristic" costume designers that most people don't wear skintight outfits for very good reasons. Had this been made 20 years later, Bruce Campbell could have done Buck with much less mugging.

Pamela Hensley's Ardala wasn't nearly as hot as she was made out to be. Her only distinction was that she spent most of the movie in her gold lamé string bikini. In today's world, she would pale - both literally and figuratively - beside the silicone wonders that infest Hollywood. On the other hand, Erin Gray's Wilma Deering was quite attractive in a clean, wholesome sort of way. Alas, Deering inexplicably changed from a strong authority figure into a fluttery schoolgirl who all but giggled at the sight of Buck.

Velveeta and Cracker Barrel have nothing on Glen Larson, the king of cheese and high camp.
  • As I recall, it was reported in the press that Larsen said the "Buck Rogers" and "BattleStar Galactica" series were scripted long before "Star Wars" was released theatrically. The success of "Star Wars" obviously gave network executives the impetus to give these two the "Green Light".

If anything, "Star Wars" began to more resemble "Buck Rogers" in adding the romantic aspects that were obviously missing from the first episode of "Star Wars".

Except for the war in outer space, "Buck Rogers" was a highly original movie that had the guts(though not the first obviously) to tackle the post nuclear holocaust, and the division between the "haves" and "have nots" on earth (its too bad this was not pursued more in the TV series). Princess Ardala added some much needed sexiness that Lucas obviously tried to imitate when he put Princess Leaia in the "slave Girl" costume.

"Buck Rogers" not only followed the trends, rekindled a few in a highly entertaining manner. I laughed all the way through this movie.

The opening credits where all the major females in the movie appear in bikinis is a classic not to be missed.
  • Space_Mafune6 February 2003
    The 70s certainly produced a lot of cruddy Sci-Fi which was nowhere near as good as what came before...this is yet another case. The only two reasons to watch this are Erin Gray and Pamela Hensley..and only Hensley shows any amount of skin in this one outside the opening credits.

If you want real Buck Rogers adventure, I suggest you look to the excellent serials instead...but if you are a fan of the two ladies mentioned above, you might enjoy this rather innocent adolescent fantasy which fulfils the dreams of many a teenage boy-what with two gorgeous women chasing after you-the dashing swashbuckling adventurer.
    I had not seen the film version of Buck Rogers until a few years ago when it was released on DVD. I did not even know there was a difference from the feature and the pilot film for TV. There are some differences, including some sexual references and killing the character Tigerman in the feature. Also, I they added some scenes for the pilot to get the correct running time. The opening theme has Buck Rogers dreaming and there are a lot of beautiful women in his dream. including Erin Gray and Pamela Hensley in a bikini! Having never seen this opening scene, it was a thrill to see Pamela in a bikini. What a woman. The pilot has Buck Rogers being frozen for 500 years and returning after that time. He is captured by Ardala(Pamela Hensley) and Cain(Henry Silva) on the Draconian ship. They send him back to earth because they think he's a spy. He is allowed to land on earth by Wilma(Erin Gray) and Dr. Huer(Tim O' Connor). He meets with Huer, Wilma and robot names Twiki and his computer box on his front named Dr. Theopolis. Ardala comes down to visit for a meet and greet party. She pretty much is wearing a white bikini and she looks gorgeous. Every scene she has in the film has her wearing something skimpy and sexy and I love it! She is so confident playing this part. She owns it. Buck is considered a spy by earth as well. He is sentenced to death. Wilma allows him to join her to go to the Draconian ship and prove his innocence. He finds the evidence needed and escapes the exploding ship with Wilma's help to survive and fight another day. Ardala and Cain escape as well to return for the TV Series. I love Buck Rogers and always will. Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek TOS are my favorite space shows ever, but Buck Rogers is right there too.
  • I saw this movie in the theater and loved it. It gets better with age. It is a product of the 70s, post-Star Wars boom in science fiction. The original Buck Rogers serial is updated and made into a fun movie. I liked the story. It is a simple good-versus-evil story. I like the main character and Gil Gerard.

My favorite part is Captain Deering, Erin Grey. She is beautiful and does a wonderful job bringing life to this character.

A favorite of 70s sci-fi.
    I loved watching Buck Rogers when I was younger. It was a fun TV series with pretty reasonable acting. Looking at it today, it does seem a little creaky but it still holds up pretty well. The sets and special effects are dodgy by todays standards, but the overall show is still a lot of fun to watch. The first season introduced us to characters such as Dr Huer, Wilma Deering, Dr Theopolis and Twiki. There was also the unforgettable Princess Ardala and Kane and lets not forget the Tigerman. The stories were fun with a lot of tongue in cheek humour. As I recall, the first series actually did quite well. The second series was introduced later having been delayed by a writers strike. The second series a much different to the first. This time is was set an a starship called Searcher. Dr Huer and Dr Theopolis were no longer in the show and Twiki was voiced by a different actor. Also Ardala, Kane and the Draconians were not seen again. The second season did introduce some new characters though, Admiral Asimov, Dr Goodfellow and a robot called Crichton. But the best character to be introduced was Hawk, a bird-man whose entire village has been wiped out by humans. Wilma Deering and Twiki remained though I felt their roles had been reduced somewhat. Hawk became Buck's friend and quite often his back up. In fact some of the best scenes were between Buck and Hawk. In the first story, Time Of The Hawk, there was a brilliant aerial dogfight between Hawk and Buck where Buck was soundly whipped. There was also a very good hand to hand fight scene where it looked as though Hawk was winning. The stories were more serious as well, tackling issues such as alcoholism and domestic abuse, racism even the death penalty. It is a pity that the show was canceled, it was not as bad as everyone says and did have some very good scenes. All up it is dated, but still very entertaining.
    Buck Rogers in the 25th Century was the pilot movie that set-up the television series of the same name. I doubt there's anyone with even a passing interest in science fiction who doesn't know the basic plot: After having spent 500 years floating in space in a state of suspended animation, Buck Rogers is revived by aliens from Draconia. The Draconians are headed to Earth on a supposedly peaceful mission. Buck learns that things aren't as they appear and the Draconians have another, more sinister purpose for their visit. The Earthlings are quite naturally suspicious of Buck and his wild claims that the approaching Draconian envoy is really an attack force in disguise. Buck must adjust to his new surroundings, prove his loyalty to those left on Earth, and help defeat the Draconians.

If you're looking for a deep, meaningful storyline, big budget special effects, or award caliber acting, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century probably isn't for you. But if you just go with it and take it about as seriously as the people who made it seem to be taking it, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century can be a fun, entertaining experience. The movie is fast paced and full of interesting eye candy. The plot, though predictable, provides enough interest to hold your attention throughout. The acting is serviceable at the worst. Gil Gerrard and Erin Gray make for very likable and watchable leads. And anything with the great Henry Silva can't be all bad. One thing I get a kick out of watching Buck Rogers in the 25th Century some 30 years after it was made is the "look" of the film. (SARCASM WARNING) It's amazing how much the 25th Century feels like the late 70s with the spandex pants, lip gloss, and electronic disco music. (END SARCASM WARNING) I guess my only complaint is that some of the comedy is misplaced and fails to hit its mark. The robot Twiki can be especially annoying.