• OK, first, to the reviewer that suggested "too much Fonda" and would have liked to see Susan St. James or Jennifer Warren in the role of Alice, you are forbidden from ever reviewing again. Fonda was perfect, and more on that later.

Second, this is not about a cowboy freeing a horse who is about to be drugged, as some reviewers have said. The horse was drugged from the beginning. Sonny noticed it, and that was a contributing factor to his subsequent actions.

This movie is about a man who strayed far from who he was, and who sought to find himself again. The horse is metaphoric: it is drugged, exploited, and broken, just like the man. So, the man attempts to find himself, as he helps the horse find itself again, so to speak. And, in the process of trying to report the story, the Fonda character attempts to find herself as well, for she has become neurotic, pill-popping, and uptight in her quest to become a star reporter. And, of course, as they travel the countryside, we find America.

Back to Fonda. Fonda's casting has always been that of the strong but flawed "career" woman, from "Barbarella", to "Klute", to "Electric Horseman". She is independent, doesn't need a man. As the tough and aggressive reporter in personal crisis, she is cast perfectly. St. James has neither the strength nor the necessary equal dose of vulnerability that Fonda can muster. This is about chemistry as well. Redford and Fonda have teamed up before, and the chemistry is proved.

So this brilliant and simple story illustrates and creatively reinforces the the idea of straying from true nature, and the need to find it again.

VERY good film.
  • jimw-6359211 February 2017
    I was only 11 years old at the time when this movie hit the theatres. A friend of mine and his dad invited me to go see The Electric Horseman. I knew of Robert Redford, but this was the first movie of his that I had seen in a theatre. I really enjoyed it, and I thought how cool Redford was as a modern day cowboy. I have never been a fan of Jane Fonda, but she is a very actress and she did a fine job in this movie. I thought the addition of Willie Nelson and his music really made this a great film. I read once that Redford and Nelson sat next to each other on an airplane flight and Redford asked Willie if he wanted to be in the movie. I also really love the soundtrack and the scenery is incredible. I wish that this movie would come out on Blu ray soon so I can buy it. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that you rent it.
  • Being a great fan of the film's stars, Robert Redford and Jane Fonda, especially back when I first saw it, I found this an entertaining, if not memorable romance, western style.

The story revolves around a former rodeo star named Sonny Steele (Redford) who has been reduced to doing cereal commercials in Las Vegas, all the while lit up in a sort of electrified suit. When he discovers plans are afoot to drug his horse lest it become too adventurous, he rides off into the desert, followed closely by a reporter named Hallie Martin (Fonda). At first, Hallie is simply seeking an exclusive story, but as you can imagine, before too long, the sparks are flying. Meanwhile, other forces are also after the runaway horseman, who just wants to return the horse to nature and himself to a simpler life.

The chemistry here between Redford and Fonda is wonderful, as they share basically an outdoor camping trip. Apart from that, the movie is primarily imparting a message about commercialism in our modern society, especially the evils of using both people and animals for profit. I was interested to read that Robert Redford actually bought for himself the horse, Rising Star, that was used in this film. It isn't any masterpiece, but certainly an entertaining movie that points to the beauties of a simple country life.
  • To those people who didn't understand this movie, perhaps they were expecting something other than a simple tale. In this effective movie, Robert Redford plays "Sonny" Steele, a former 5 time rodeo champion who now hocks breakfast cereal for the sinister corporation, Ampco. Although a world champion cowboy, Sonny is no good at selling cereal. When Ampco buys a thoroughbred horse to solidify a merger, Sonny is outraged at how the horse has been mistreated. When he steals the horse in an attempt to set it free & get it back to nature, he is in fact attempting to make right what is also wrong in his own life. Jane Fonda who plays Hallie Martin, a reporter, is also caught up in the hype when she tries to get the story on an exclusive. As she follows his story & his struggle to set the horse free in an appropriate place, she comes to understand Sonny the man. This charm of this movie is its underlying message of a simple life, unfettered by hypocrisy and falseness as the right way to live and the redemptive quality of a man returning to that. Understated directing and a good supporting cast make this a movie worth watching.
  • kyle_furr1 March 2004
    This movie stars Robert Redford as an five time rodeo champion who is now a has-been promoting a breakfast cereal. Jane Fonda is a reporter who wants to interview Redford, but he just blows her off. Redford is basically upset always being told what to do and he steals a 12 million dollar horse that they're mistreating and he's going to take it out and set it free. The company that owns the horse wants to keep it quiet and then wants to send in the police. Fonda tracks him down and joins up with him so she can get a bigger story and of course, they have to fall in love. This movie seems to be a cross between It Happened One Night and Lonely Are The Brave. This was directed by Sydney Pollock who has worked with Redford several times before and also with Fonda.
  • Saddle up! for this Excellent romantic-comedy, Robert Redford stars as Sonny Steele who once was a world class Rodeo star, but is now a washed up drunkard reduced to advertising breakfast cereal on TV for the shady AMPCO corporation,whose latest Publicity campaign features prize winning race horse Rising Star,

AMPCO's next junket takes place at Las Vegas where Redford is to Launch the campaign ,Behind a backdrop of glamor and corporate greed, Redford discovers that the horse has been drugged with an abundance of steroids,Redford saddles up and literally takes off with the horse in protest,

Jane Fonda plays Hallie, a news reporter who might just get an exclusive, follows Redford on his quest to release Rising Star into the wild to roam free.

Sydney Pollack, always with a great eye for casting, even has country and western favorite Willie Nelson, Valerie Perrine has an appearance as An old flame of Redford's, Wilford Brimley has a small role as kindly farmer who helps Redford on his way, Usual Pollack regular Composer, Dave Grusin Contribute's Greatly,
  • I like Pollack. I'm not sure there's anything that I wouldn't at least give a chance, as long as he had an important part in the making of it. This is probably the most formulaic thing I've seen of his... which isn't to say that it's necessarily bad. It's just that, well, if you don't see the majority of what happens in this, coming, the likeliest explanation is that you haven't seen one of the many films that follow essentially the same plot. It's not exactly unpredictable. The points of it are also made in a pretty see-through manner, with poignant speeches and the like. But with those in mind, and the fact that this isn't necessarily meant to be taken too seriously, this isn't bad. The direction is effective. Its editing and cinematography are well-done. The acting leaves little to be desired. The writing is good. The characters are at least average. The music is very fitting. That would be the original version, with Willie Nelson performing it, not the other kind. There is a limited amount of language in it, of varying degree, not a lot of which is terribly harsh. The drug/alcohol material is vague, and the sexuality tends to be tastefully done(for being partially set in Las Vegas, this is mighty clean). I recommend this to any lovers of the four-legged animal, Redford, Fonda and/or anyone else who helped create this. 6/10
  • Over the years I seemed to have missed seeing this film and enjoyed the very young looking Jane Fonda and Robert Redford. The best part of the picture takes place when these two actors are in the outdoors and enjoying the so called comforts of a rough camping routine. Their first warm kiss gets the film interesting and their conversations become very comical and entertaining over sleeping habits and cold coffee. Jane Fonda played (Alice (Hallie) Martin) and Robert Redford was (Norman 'Sonny' Steele) who made plenty of electricity in this cute romantic film. If you like great photography of the West and two outstanding great actors, this is a film to enjoy.
  • If you want to know why Robert Redford and/or Jane Fonda are considered by some to be great actors, rent this film. The story is not terribly complex, but the characters are. The life breathed into the Sonny and Alice by the stars of this film must be seen to be appreciated. Subtle, deep, perfect.
  • In the days when people treated one another with more civility, sound bites (bights) and high-energy opinion didn't rule the political scene, and sensationalism didn't masquerade as being newsworthy, Hollywood's film industry was cranking out fare that didn't placate to the juvenile demographic.

"The Electric Horseman" is a forward thinking film populated with adult actors that have adult sensibilities. There are no quick put-downs and one-liners comprised of single syllable words. And when I say adult, I don't mean the bawdy toilet film making styles that literally pollute the media air.

"The Electric Horseman" is mainstream cinema from the closing era of the 1970s. When people wearing ties and blouses attended the movie house, and did so politely.

In this regard "The Electric Horseman" is a throwback to another era when people had more comport in their personal presentation, and demonstrated an amount of civility and societal understanding. Even so, corporate greed is exposed in the plot, as well as the foibles of a femme-reporteress whose hunger for success shows her inner soul to both character and audience (appropriately played by Jane Fonda).

The stalwart American society is also appropriately reflected in Robert Redford's character, who gives us a character who must rediscover his "awe shucks" self through an act of humanity for the sake of a stricken and exploited living, breathing creature that cannot speak for itself; Rising Star.

Cinematography is professional, as are all elements of this film. No performance is overstated, save for Fonda, but, if I know Pollack, that was intentional. The feminist climbing the media ladder and forgetting her ideals by breaking the rules for the sake of those ideals, is met with the has-been buckaroo who has similarly rediscovered who and what he is.

The romance is standard Hollywood 101, but, though not entirely necessary, is still appropriate, and in this regard, probably satisfying to the audience--men and women alike.

It's not a deep film on a personal level, but it is profound on the character level. We sympathize with the characters and identify with them in a detached manner. They are extensions of us (or what we might've been) were we in those situations.

No flashy cuts, no CGI, no rumbling sound effects, no splashy cinema effects of any-kind, standard lensing, tight scripting, and solid thesping make this film a sight for sore eyes.

Thank you Mister Pollack, Mister Redford... and I'd never thought I'd say it, but, thank you "Mizz" Fonda.
    Electric Horseman is a film about the redemption of Sonny Steele, a man who has lost his way and become a caricature of all that he holds to be worthwhile about his life. Sonny starts his journey back to himself when he sees the once- champion horse Rising Star, being handled in the same demeaning fashion. As a fading celebrity Sonny knows he has allowed this to happen to himself, but the horse is more obviously at the mercy of others. The plight of the innocent horse angers Sonny enough for him to make the decision to make it all different, starting right now. Sonny's quest to liberate Rising Star is his quest to liberate himself from the life that was consuming him.

Jane Fondas character makes it possible for us to understand the story and the motivations of Sonny Steele. Of course we grow to love him, as she does. Who wouldn't!
  • Everyone involved in "The Electric Horseman" is taking it easy. The film is just a lark for some very talented people, and while it does have its amusements it doesn't add up to much. Robert Redford plays a rodeo-star who steals his celebrated horse, planning to ride it up to hill country to release it in the wild, but he's dogged by inquisitive female reporter Jane Fonda. There's a message about wildlife to be had in Robert Garland's exceptionally thin script, which must have attracted both Redford and Fonda, but director Sydney Pollack wisely concentrates on the leads' budding romance, and the horse takes the proverbial backseat. Some of the repartee is sharp, but the movie doesn't particularly look good or seem fully thought out. As a result, it's unmemorable and undemanding, though not without minor enjoyment. **1/2 from ****
  • Robert Redford, Jane Fonda how could this not be a great movie? This is a great movie that shows when star actors actually rode horses at a gallop without worrying about hurting themselves. Robert Redford is a actor who throws himself completely into the movie. He makes this movie a hit. This is a movie you can watch over and over again.
  • lutheranchick6 January 2008
    The best thing about this film is the light-up "electric horseman" outfit that Redford wears in the beginning of the film-- as I recall, it inspired many a Halloween costume when the film was released. Otherwise, this film is utterly ridiculous. We are supposed to believe a corporation spends million of dollars on a winning racehorse not to breed it, but to serve as a corporate mascot, despite the fact that most people can't tell one brown horse from another. We are supposed to believe that a rodeo champion would be a useful spokesman to sell cereal, even though almost no Americans can name a single rodeo champion from any point in history, five-time winner or not. We are supposed to believe that after days adventuring in the desert, neither Redford or Fonda looks like they've been more than three feet away from a blow-dryer and can of Final Net for touch-ups. This film was less inspiring than insulting.
  • This film is not about the horse, is not about a romance.

The film portraits the unstoppable greed of a corporation confronted with the moral values of a true cowboy and how he realize he has lost that spirit that took him to became a cowboy.

This film is intended to show how we destroy everything we touch just to increase our profits.

So, you are right about the hairstyle, the wardrobe, everything is so 70's.

But the message is not old in fact is so XXI century as your brand new digital cameras.

This film made me understand my family, my past, present and future.

Now I see what my father tried to taught me, what my brothers understood years ago.
    So many movies got by me in the Seventies and Eighties that it's an occasional treat to catch one now that delivers in an entertaining fashion. I've never been a fan of Jane Fonda because of her politics, but there's not a scene here in which she doesn't look great, and not a scene where Robert Redford doesn't look like,... the Sundance Kid. He brings the same facial mannerisms and reactions to bear here as in his more acclaimed role, which by the way happens to be one of my all time favorite films. I guess teaming him up with a horse is just the right trick.

The story has some of the elements that show up in my favorite movies as well, that of an underdog taking on a mission that's somehow larger than himself. By riding Silver Star off of a Las Vegas night club stage and into the Western wilderness, Sonny Steele is at the same time attempting to find personal redemption from a life overcome by glitz and crass commercialism. In the process, Fonda's character falls victim to a journalist's primary obstacle, that of becoming part of the story she's covering as a reporter.

I recall seeing trailers for the film back when it first came out; who can forget the image of the Electric Horseman as Redford mounts up on Silver Star and takes on the appearance of a Christmas tree on the Las Vegas strip. The story behind the picture still has relevance today, even more so than back in the Seventies, as each successive year's technology and focus on celebrity removes us further and further away from the things that matter most. Oddly, watching the picture today, it felt more like a made for TV movie than a major theatrical release. Another example of how each new blockbuster film today has to try and outdo the one before with even more elaborate glamor and special effects.
    A boozing, former Rodeo star, Sonny Steele(Robert Redford), touring as a celebrity advertising cereal, sees that a great race horse he is to ride with his suit lighted up bright is pumped full of steroids with a mistreated tendon. Instead of hopping up on the horse he deems disrespected, Sonny steals him taking to the country. Sonny hope to release the horse back into the wild, it's true habitat, but has a hard time shaking a news reporter, Alice(Jane Fonda)who wants the big story involving his journey evading police and those out to find him thanks to the cereal company he works for whose head is Hunt Sears(John Saxon).

Light and harmless, but irresistible thanks to the charming leads and their chemistry on screen. Add some good location work, and some good supporting players like Valerie Perrine as Sonny's flighty ex and Willie Nelson as Wendell, one of his cowboy buddies.

As can happen in these kind of Hollywood romancers on the road regarding a fugitive, the media plays a major role in Sonny's rise to fame for doing what he believes is right despite what consequences might occur later.
  • I liked this movie for the chemistry of the stars & the message (that not everything should be subjected to the Almighty Dollar). As others have pointed out, the story is a bit too simple, but that's OK too. What caused me to lower my rating from 6-7 to a rating of 5, is the lack of internal consistency. Redford's character is tremendously concerned over the welfare of this beautiful thoroughbred horse, & I'm concerned, too. The main premise of the film is that the horse's welfare is more important than the money to be made off this animal. The horse has ligament damage in a front leg ("it's full of water," per Redford), so Redford saves the horse from exploitation (being part of a stage show & being photographed) by stealing it. Later, to try to escape the police, Redford rides this injured horse for about 10 miles (it seems), at high speed (perhaps 20-25 mph?) over hill, dale, gullies, a bridge, through water, rock strewn ravines, etc. Never mind the lack of reality here (that an injured horse would never be able to accomplish this). But how about Redford's feeling for the animal? He's supposed to be so concerned for the horse's welfare, but it is he who subjects the horse to the most grueling damage possible! The lack of internal consistency in this film is that the man who supposedly cares the most about the horse, is the one who inflicts the most injury to it. And this makes no sense within the context of the film.
  • Reptile200113 January 2001
    Quite good.I give it 4 out of 5 stars,which translates into an 8,which for me means one of the best of the year types,just not an all-time classic.

There isn't any kind of great directing,but the writing and the acting,and basically the star power of RR and JF carry this film,and carry it well.I didn't know it was a Pollack film,but you can tell this is a quality package above the line.

spoilers ahead-

a good bit of mystery is set up as the viewers are asked "why did he run off with the horse?,and you want to know the answer to the question.When RR reveals his motivation,it works,and you immediatley emphathize and root for him,and the motivation is believable.

The romance buildup btwn RR and JF is very slow,and thus very good.

JF in the country is good for some laughs.I also laughed out loud at RR trying to see w/ JF's presription glasses .

Brimley was excellent in a small part.He comes through the screen very vividly.His support of RR's reasons for absconding pack some emotional punch.Again,RR's speech to the camera on why he did it showed some excellent writing.

I liked them singing america.

The visual of RR and horse all lit up was nice,but I thought the montage of him leaving Vegas could have been better.

A solid piece of work,anything less than a 4 * or 8# is too low of a rating.
    So often "Hollywood" is used as a pejorative when describing a film but I find that an odd insult. It's like calling a novel too New York or Paris. It also assumes that all movies that aren't "Hollywood" are masterpieces.

Sydney Pollack reminds me of the medieval craftsmen who created Works of art with more craft than what today we would call inspiration but back then they didn't put much stock in that sort of nonsense. This film is everything you would expect it to be, nothing more and certainly nothing less. You start off with two huge movie stars of that era, have a David and Goliath story serving as a light parable about the ills of corporate America, add a couple of hit songs, and throw in the great American outdoors just to be on the safe side.
    Man meets horse, man steals horse, man gets laid, horse gets freed. Everyone happy in the end (even the bad-guy corporation). Simple, effective. One of the best performances ever by Redford. And one of the best chase scenes anywhere, anytime. The best thing about this film is its quiet humour. It keeps throwing out these curve balls just at the right time to surprise you and charm you. In between, it takes potshots at just about everyone. First, the cowboys and the way they have (especially in Hollywood) too often allowed themselves to be made into a product - think of Roy Rogers and the Cisco Kid et al, all gussied up in the campest outfits you can imagine. (Hollywood made the West gay LONG before Brokeback Mountain hit the screen!) Next it takes on the big corporations, which (once again) only care about money and don't care who or what they exploit in order to get it. This is in fact the easiest potshot in the film, cause there is nothing really new here. And I can't really imagine a corpoation allowing itself to just say good-bye to a 12 million dollar horse. Finally, it also takes a shot at the media, who are just as bad as the corporations (since they ARE corporations usually) and the journalists who are (almost) ready to sell their souls for a good story. Nevertheless, with Redford and Fonda it works. The film tends to drag a bit near the end when they are camping out, and the requisite falling in love is a bit pat, but it isn't overdone and well, why not? The entire film is pretty much unbelievable, but it IS entertaining, and that's all it really expects to be. And above all, the chase scene is worth the price of admission.
  • Anyone who is a lover of animals ought to see The Electric Horseman. Robert Redford and Jane Fonda who did so well in Barefoot In The Park are reunited in a film with a real rural setting, shot in Redford's beloved Utah.

I suspect Jane Fonda who had since she made that horrible career mistake of that trip to Hanoi during the Vietnam War was looking for a wholesome All American type story that would gain her some audience in the red states. This film is as red state as you can get and still has values both of its leads believe in in their real lives.

Robert Redford was at one time a champion rodeo performer who got too old for that sport and cashed in on his celebrity. He gradually morphed into a professional celebrity and he and his posse started just enjoying the good life at corporate expense a bit too much.

That changes when Redford is teamed with a former triple crown winning race horse and he notices the animal being mistreated in certain subtle ways that only a horse lover would. He takes a good look at himself and the cowboy in him kicks in. He rides the horse right out of a Las Vegas gambling palace and into the desert. Object his old stamping grounds in Utah. Redford is now the object of a man and horse hunt.

Jane Fonda as a news reporter has little to do until now. She proves to be most resourceful far better than her male colleagues at locating Redford and spends the rest of the film with him and the horse. The film was starting to remind me of the old Bing Crosby/Frances Farmer classic Rhythm On The Range with Crosby. Farmer and a stud bull named Cuddles. I was half expecting to hear Redford break out in song.

Songs there are in The Electric Horseman, sung by Willie Nelson playing one of Redford's posse. They add a lot to the film. So does the location cinematography in Utah.

Also in the supporting cast is villain John Saxon the company man who is Redford's main adversary and Valerie Perrine as his ex-wife. Both score well.

But this is Bob and Jane's film and it's some of their best work.
  • American film 'The Electric Horseman' has all the right ingredients to be classified as a hit film. It boasts of an amazing star cast which includes famous actors Robert Redford and Jane Fonda. They play their roles with utmost sincerity that viewers are ready to believe an interesting story which has the potential to entertain its viewers. Director Sydney Pollack has ensured that his film should also have a serious message. This is shown in the form of a fight involving an ethical animal lover who would not tolerate an innocent horse being drugged for meeting commercial ends. This film's soundtrack has mellifluous music in the form of feet tapping country music songs by Willie Nelson. One still remembers a famous song called 'Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys'. He also plays a supporting role in the film. 'The Electric Horseman' is remembered for the manner in which it depicts one man's dedicated fight against the system. It reinforces firmly the general public's belief that the corporate world cannot get away with anything it wants.
  • Sonny Steele (Robert Redford) was a rodeo star who signed an endorsement deal with a breakfast cereal company. His star has since faded. He drunkenly travels around the country pitching the cereal with Wendell (Willie Nelson), Leroy and his light up electric suit. They replace him with another rider and nobody cares. Hallie Martin (Jane Fonda) is looking to write a story but the company won't let her interview him. He arrives in Las Vegas to ride a race horse on stage but he finds the horse drugged and injured. Charlotta (Valerie Perrine) comes looking for a divorce from Steele. He decides to ride out with the horse and not look back.

I don't really get the Hallie Martin character. Was the rodeo ever that big? She's putting in a lot of effort to do a story about a washed-out cowboy. I don't know why that's a big story anywhere. Even if he's washed-out, why would that be news? It would make more sense for her to start looking for the story after he rides out with the horse. Robert Redford returns to the big screen after a hiatus. That may be the reason for its success. Willie Nelson has a couple of great songs. The actors keep the movie afloat despite the poor basic concept of the movie.
    There must be some potential in the plot because it's a salmagundi of familiar elements. There's the story of the guy who escapes the trap of civilization and its glitter in favor of real life on the natural frontier. "Lonely Are the Brave" is an example. Should I mention "Huckleberry Finn"? Then there's the guy who has won all the possible kudos and is now over the hill, gets drunk, and then "finds himself" again, as in "Rocky II". Or was it "Rocky III"? I forget. Anyway, there are myriad examples floating around in the ether. "Jim Thorpe: All American." There's also the story of a kinda dumb but regular guy who is followed around by a cute, sophisticated lady with her own agenda and who betrays him before realizing her mistake. It was a Frank Capra specialty. "Meet John Doe" will serve.

The elements don't quite come together. Redford is not a hick, although he tries hard. He's an ex champion rodeo rider but we don't learn anything about the skills that are involved. He's been shat upon by Fortuna and now he's reduced to having his picture on boxes of breakfast cereal, boozing it up, and riding around on a Las Vegas stage in a phony cowboy suit that's lit up like a Christmas tree. His few friends -- all of them good old boys like Willie Nelson -- are sympathetic but what can they do except remain loyal? That last bit, riding on stage in an electric suit, is too much for Redford. He waves his hat at the crowd as he deliberately saunters the horse through somebody else's act, out the door, onto the street, and into the wilderness, just him and the ironically named Rising Star.

Jane Fonda, a TV anchor babe, discovers where he is and joins him, hoping for a story, taking notes, filming him secretly. But don't worry. After they've sat around the campfire for a couple of nights and get to know one another, and after they've REALLY, if improbably, gotten to know one another, she realizes that the corrupt city values she represents are revolting.

The director and most of the others involved have dumbed the story down. The evil guys who represent Redford's sponsors, are the kind of people known as "suits." They all wear glasses, most look effete, a few look goofy, and whatever the boss, John Saxon, thinks, is the right thing to think. The good people are all rustics. Not only are they spiritually clean, they'll give you the shirt off their backs.

Redford doesn't help much. He's pretty taciturn -- "Yup" and "Nope" -- and that's okay as far as it goes but when he gets emotional he seems mannered. He's done a lot better than that. Jane Fonda looks pretty good considering her age. When she's wearing a wool cap pulled over her ears, and staring wide-eyed at Redford, she looks like a pretty, thirteen-year old with big teeth. But neither is really convincing. You rarely lose the conviction that you're watching two actors perform before a camera.

I wonder if they had any trouble marketing this. The intended audience is clearly not urbanites or suburbanites, but rather the people who live on small farms or isolated homesteads, and who like to hunt. And who do the producers use to appeal to these good folk? Robert Redford, Environmentalist Number one, and Hanoi Jane. Or -- well, it's possible the producers were aiming lower than that. Maybe aiming for people who never heard of Redford and environmentalism, or Fonda and the Vietnam war. I don't know who they were aiming at but, as for me, it was an easy bullet to dodge.

Willie Nelson has a small part and he's a conundrum. I lost interest in country music years ago, in the era of Slim Whitman and Hank Thompson. "Proud to be a Okie from Muscogee" sealed it. Yet here is Willie Nelson driving a big homemade vehicle that consumes nothing but biofuels. Most of the good old boys were better guitar pickers than they're given credit for but Nelson had a tendency to reach for deep unexpected harmonics. Good man, Willie.