I am a purist fan of the original Scooby Doo formula. I felt the best shows were the classic Where Are You series and I also loved the Scooby Movies and his late 70's adventures that featured Scooby Dum, and even Blue Falcon and Dynomutt and I also loved the Laff a Lympics and even the movie, Scooby Doo Goes Hollywood, but then disaster struck in 1979. The introduction of Scrappy Doo!!

Now believe it or not Scooby fans, the only Scrappy shows I liked were: The first season in 1979 because the entire gang, Fred, Daphne, Velma, and Shaggy were still together solving mysteries and the two part episodes that reunited the full cast in the New Scooby Doo Mysteries of 1984. I'll never forget episodes that featured the Lady Vampire of the Bay and the Minotaur and even the final episode where Shaggy and Scooby are abducted and Scrappy gets two of his old neighborhood pup pals to help rescue them. The late Lennie Weinrib voiced over Scrappy in this one good season and his Scrappy was known for saying stuff like "Ruff and double ruff!" as well as his "Puppy Power" bugle call. Weinrib's Scrappy at least sounded like a tough pup from the Bronx. At least in this series, the gang had an even number and in split ups, it was simple, you had Fred and the girls and Shaggy and the dogs. It's also interesting to note that Velma's voice changed during this season. Pat Stevens had been doing her voice since 1976, but she ultimately got replaced by a lady named Maria Frumkin. This would probably be the only Scooby and Scrappy series I would buy if it makes it to DVD.

The second year was the start of the series slow gradual decay. In the second year, the series ran alongside Richie Rich cartoons and got blended in with them. There were three short episodes each week (The SuperFriends did the same thing that year). And at that point, the gang was disbanded. Only Shaggy, Scooby, and Scrappy Doo were in the series and all they did was travel all over and get into comical jams. No more mystery solving. This show was played strictly for laughs. Look for a similar review on the Richie Rich Scooby and Scrappy Doo page. If the show had to have a reduced cast, at least it was evenly divided. Unfortunately, Don Messick took over the Scrappy voice and did double duty as Scooby and Scrappy. Anything to save money I guess.

The third year was probably the most mediocre by having the three of them working for the Fearless Detective Agency owned by Shaggy's unseen Uncle Fearless, but their attempts at solving mysteries were just not the same without Fred, Daphne, and Velma in the picture.

In the final analysis, the only Scooby series with Scrappy I would recommend would be the 1979 year with the whole gang still together.
  • This is the show that finally killed the Scooby-Doo series. I'll be honest and say that I enjoyed the first season of the show. For one thing the addition of Scrappy was something new and fresh to the series and it was funny when Scrappy would say "da, da, da, daa, PUPPY POWER!" and run of to fight the villain. Forcing Scooby to go save him. The show was doing good with the gang still solving mysteries and all. The show had some major flaws in it's first season with the hidden jokes out the window and the villains being the worst in the series. Still I guess the familiarity with the characters made the show watchable and a bit enjoyable.

Then the unthinkable happened! The gang suddenly disappeared, there were no more solving mysteries and it was just Scooby, Shaggy, and Scrappy (The Three "S") just wandering around. That's when everything went downhill. The show became extremely lame and unwatchable, above all Scrappy became the certain of attention. Thus making him the most annoying character ever to be conceived.

He worked in the first season because like Scooby-Dum in The Scooby-Doo show he wasn't the focus but once Scrappy became the focus the series came to a sudden end.
  • Scrappy-Doo SUCKS! WHAT THE HECK WAS THIS?!?! The first season was alright because it had the gang solving mysteries like usual but the only difference was that they had Scrappy-Doo as there new member. Scrappy was okay at first and it was funny when he used to say "Puppy Power!" but that only lasted a year. After that year when all the characters except Fred, Velma, and sometimes Daphne were gone and there wasn't any more mysteries it just began to suck. Scrappy just got really annoying! I felt like sticking "Puppy Power" up his you know what.

Horrible show! PLEASE AVOID THIS PROGRAM!
  • This was actually my favorite series of Scooby Doo when I was younger. I thought each episode had more of an edge to it and the villains had a lot of creative thought put into them (and even very scary and believable as well). Some of the best episodes were "I Left My Neck In San Francisco", "Twenty Thousand Screams Under The Sea", "The Ghoul, The Bat And The Ugly" and "When You Wish Upon A Star Creature". If you have never seen these episodes please do. This series was a bit of a mixed bag though as there were other episodes which didn't seem to have the same kind of edge to them such as "Rocky Mountain YIIII!" and "The Ransom Of Scooby Chief". As like the series before it, it was very well put together, interesting storyline and brilliantly drawn. As everyone says though, it would have been so much better without Scrappy Doo. The character was tiresome and distracting to the story that was being told.
    After the success of Scooby-Doo, Where are You, they decided to give Scooby and Shaggy their own show. But unfortunately, they added a new character that spoilt Scooby-Doo success forever. They invented a new show with a new title, Scooby and Scrappy-Doo. It was Scrappy-Doo that made this show a complete failure, probably for both adults and kids together. Scrappy was the stupid brave puppy that always looked ready to beat someone up. Scooby and Shaggy were getting scared of the villain, and they were also trying to stop him. Scooby-Doo doesn't need any little annoying bastard puppy nephews. If they wanted Scooby-Doo to be more successful, they should have either killed or never thought up Scrappy. This was just poor, maybe your kids will prefer it!
  • Well... Scoob & Shag and the gang were great. They're still as popular today with the kiddies as they were 20(!) years ago!

BUT... it is a fairly commonly-held perception that Scrappy Doo was the WORST thing that ever happened to saturday morning cartoons. Who at Hanna-Barbera decided that Scooby Doo needed a sidekick? And one with an annoying voice at well. Sure, his foolhardy bravado provided a counterpoint to Shaggy and Scooby's cowardice but for most people it was the end of an enjoyable series... and a premonition of the sludge that was soon to flood the Saturday morning airwaves.
  • This show started out with great mystery episodes. I think everyone is in the first 15 or 16 episodes. After that, the show started playing short episodes with Shaggy, Scooby doo, and Scrappy doo.

I think Hanna Barbera Productions had to change 20 minutes episodes into short episodes. Some of the voice actors became unavailable. After 15 or 16 episodes, Frank Welker (who played Fred) became unavailable. I believe the voice of Velma changes after first 11 episodes, because the first voice actress (Patricia Stevens)who played Velma was unavailable due to health reasons. So Marla Frumkin took over for the role of Velma. Lennie Weinrib who played Scrappy also became unavailable. I heard that this had to do with some of the voice actors being involved in the big 1980 strike. So Don Messick ended up playing both Scooby doo and Scrappy doo.

And the network ordered the Hanna Barbera studio to make more episodes. So they ended making shorts with Shaggy, Scooby doo, and Scrappy doo. I love the first 16 episodes, because these episodes had to do with mysteries. I liked other ones. But not as much as the first 16 episodes. But I cannot blame Hanna Barbera, because this happened due to the unavailability of voice actors and actresses who were involved in 1980 strike.
  • What really killed off the Scooby and Shaggy franchise? SCRAPPY!!!

By the time the series switched networks and went from CBS to ABC in the late 1970's and really into the 1980's,the show suffered a severe puncture wound from which it will never recover from thus ending the beloved franchise of Scooby Doo and the gang. I have read all the comments about this and they're 100% right! Scrappy Doo was the most annoyingest character imaginable and if you really watch the episodes you'll see why this is very so. Also,the producers killed off the rest of the gang and basically leaving Scooby,Scrappy and Shaggy in there own show which was a total bore,but in my opinion it was total bull**** from the get go and from there the end of the Scooby era. This was in the 1980's,when Hanna-Barbera cranked out a sea of dull ass cartoons and sorry characters thus using the same format in each of the episodes and a prime example of this was during the 1980's which featured shows like "The Flintstones Mysteries","The Smurfs","The Incredible Shmoo" and not to even mention "The New Adventures Of Peebles and Bamm-Bamm" "A Pup Named Scrappy Doo","The Thirteen Ghosts Of Scooby Doo","Godzilla" to name a few.

There was one episode in particular where they put Vincent Price in as one of the lead characters,and by the end of the decade,Hanna-Barbera decided it was time to kill off the show since it became dull and boring.
  • When this show was on I watched it every time I could! I thought that the characters were really funny and all had great personalities. The animation in My opinion was crisp, clean, and really clear. Not to mention beautiful! Most of the characters in this show are like the hilarious Looney Tunes characters that we all love. in My opinion these characters are the funnies and talented ever seen. In fact, The things that goes on in this series' cartoons are in My opinion nuts which that is what makes them hilarious! There are so many to like and laugh at and the silly things they do! If you like the original Looney Tunes then I strongly recommend that you watch this show!
  • From 1979-1983. Scooby was with Scrappy during the series. During the 79-80 season, the whole gang was there. From 80-83, the chickens were there with Scrappy. Lennie first voiced Scrappy again just for the 79-80 season. Then Don took over for the rest of the series. During the 82-83 season, Scrappy was with Yabba Doo for one segment during each episode. Then, in an partnership with Ruby Spears Enterprise the Pete the Pup series conclude the then hour long show. Today, the last season only has the first half with Yabba. Bommerang currently brodcasts the first and third years with the second and last seasons rarely seen. Overall, as of now, it's Scooby's longest show to date and it's not to bad. As an Scooby fan it's good but animation fans may not like it that much.

Final Scooby Score: 9 out of 10 Final Animation Score: 5 out of 10
  • I've always loved (and I still do by the way) Scooby-Doo and his gang. The first series, which started in 1969, were funny and had interesting monsters. Of course all the monsters turned out to be criminals dressed up as monsters to scare people away, but... who cares? 'Scooby and Scrappy-Doo' began in 1979. Fred, Daphne and Velma were put aside for most of the adventures and Scrappy-Doo filled the gap. Scooby and Shaggy (the two best things of the entire series) remained.

Scooby, Scrappy and Shaggy's voices are very well done, but the voices of the additional characters aren't. For instance, the 'cat man' (episode 21, season 2) sounds terrible and annoying. Although made ten years later, the animation didn't improve. It actually got worse. The drawing is bad and irregular and the same goes for the animation itself. And there's even more to dislike. Especially if you don't like hearing "p-p-puppy p-p-power" and "i'll splat him" coming from Scrappy every two or three minutes.

A bigger part for Scrappy is probably one of the things which destroyed this series. But this is also the fault of the script writers. Most of the episodes (except the ones from season 1) haven't got anything to do with ghouls and ghosts, the jokes are bad and the characters constantly say basically the same.

So, to sum it all up: bad drawing and animation, bad jokes, Scrappy and bad episodes. Stay away from this! It's very unpleasant.

4 out of 10 / 1* out of 5*
  • Cylex29 September 2001
    Scrappy is my favourite character in this series. He's cute, brave, funny, loyal, enthusiastic, articulate & modest. He adores his Uncle Scooby and gives him the credit for everything. Although Scrappy often gets Scooby & Shaggy into trouble they're still fond of him. I don't care what people say. With Scrappy the show got better, not worse. And if he really was unpopular, surely they would have written him out? Thank you, Hanna Barbera for creating him.
  • Scooby's laff-a-lympics had enter it's third season and along with another Scooby Doo cartoon. I enjoyed Scooby up into his annoying nephew came in the picture. Since his brave-hearted nephew came on the scene the chase scenes died down. I loved the chase scenes in the Scooby Doo cartoons especially when Scoob and Shaggy disguise themselves to get away from the villains. Till this day I wonder how this little pup became so popular that Hanna-Barbera took Fred,Daphne,and Velma off the show. In 1983 this mutt had his own show (puppy new adventures) supposedly a spin-off. Then the rest of the gang returned a year later with the show titled "Scooby's New Mysteries". I wonder how this mutt kept five years of popularity without the whole Scooby mysteries inc. gang.
  • That's right! That's what i said. Saturday morning's answer to Oliver Brady! How dare those guys over at Hanna Barbera make such an annoying waste of time like Scrappy Doo! And make an all time great on saturday morning turn into a horrible piece of dog poo in a 30 minute span! Scrappy, always respect your elders especially your uncle Scooby. But what did he do? He came to the show, and screwed it up! Making Scooby look bad in an instant! The end of a great cartoon was foreshadowed when this little mutt wandered along! Where's his parents when you need them? Probably couldn't stand putting up with the little runt, and possibly blackmailed Scooby into taking care of him. The show's plots weren't scary anymore when this little twit came along. He probably made the dork in the costume laugh until he died! Really, Scooby must be ashamed of his nephew. The poor dog must have suffered a cardiac arrest after he did an episode with his show killing nephew. Bottom line: Scrappy Doo killed Scooby Doo, and killed Saturday morning cartoons forever!
  • I grew up on Scooby Doo Where Are You, and I still love it. It is one of my favourite cartoons along with Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Peter Pan and the Pirates and Tom and Jerry. This show though is good for kids, the voices are good(Don Messick and Casey Kasem are perfect as Scooby and Shaggy), the theme tune is tolerable and it has some nice animation in the first season. However it is rather disappointing. I normally don't mind Scrappy, but when he appears to be like the main character, it gets annoying fast. Complete with the over-used catchphrase Puppy Power and ear-grating voice, Scrappy is more annoying than usual. Also half the gang are missing after the first year, somehow it didn't feel like Scooby Doo. And the jokes and the story lines after that point were in general lame and unoriginal(though the first season did have some tired jokes and could have had more edge, not much atmosphere here though somewhat fun), very little chasing monsters or unmasking the baddies. As for the villains in the season where all the gang were present, only Lady Vampire and Night Ghoul are the ones I deem memorable, others were either forgettable(Ghost of Jeremiah Pratt and Sky Skeleton) or too obvious(Alien and Blue Scarab) and most while not particularly inspired are acceptable. All in all, not as bad as Shaggy and Scooby Doo:Get a Clue, but this show is disappointing. 4/10 for the animation, voices, theme tune and the fact it is nice for kids. Bethany Cox
    The positives is that at least at first this show features the full Mystery Inc gang doing what they do best.

The mysteries are also a little bit more complex, and the show is all the better for it.

The massive negative is the character of Scrappy Doo, who continues to divide opinion to this day.

He's well meaning but very, very annoying, and sadly with him now being a joint lead character with his Uncle Scoob, there are lots of him to screech "Puppy Power" and take screen time away from the other members of the gang.

A mixed incarnation overall.
  • In the fall of 1969, Scooby Doo Where Are You became a surprise hit for CBS' rising saturday morning cartoon lineup, which dominated the ratings and then some until ABC scooped up the rights for the show after The Scooby Doo Movies was cancelled in the spring of 1974 after a two year run on CBS. The Scooby Doo and Dynomutt Hour, which would become two separate shows in the third season and shown in syndication in the early 1980s as the Dynomutt Dog Wonder and The Scooby Doo Show series, was a hit for ABC as well as the All Star Laff a Lympics cartoon which was inspired by the popularity of the games on tv. In the fall of 1979, Hanna Barbera introduced a new character named Scrappy Doo, Scooby's son, and during the first season, ratings were huge. Before that, Scooby Doo's first movie, Scooby Goes to Hollywood, did ok. After the good first season, the next two went downhill, so Hanna Barbera put Scooby Doo along with Richie Rich for an hour of fun and then put Scooby Doo with the Puppy's Adventures, which originated from Ruby Spears as a special on TV before Taft bought Ruby Spears so that they could work with Hanna Barbera on the special. A new character, Yabba Doo, was introduced, but that didn't help as the popularity of The Smurfs made NBC huge ratings, and by then it was canceled, forcing Hanna Barbera to rerun segments featuring Scrappy and company while creating new shows without scrappy that didn't do well, The New Scooby Doo show, the Scooby Doo Mysteries, and the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo, followed two years later by a Pup Names Scooby Doo and a cartoon network tv show series.
  • This was another one of the Scooby-Doo cartoons I liked especially that was when Scrappy-Doo made his debut! I thought he and Scooby-Doo are a great team. This was an updated version of Scooby-Doo Where Are You? and this time in this cartoon Scrappy-Doo was the newest member of the group. In this updated version we had some of the original voice actors from the other series Scooby-Doo Where Are You? including Don Messick who returned as Scooby-Doo and Casey Kasem as Shaggy and Frank Welker returned as Fred, Heather North as Daphne and Patricia Stevens as Velma and Lennie Weinrib did the voice of Scrappy-Doo. But in the other Scooby-Doo cartoons Don Messick did Scrappy-Doo. Scrappy-Doo is funny and a cute little character! I was glad he was in most of the Hanna-Barbera Super Star Scooby-Doo Movies like Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers, The Ghoul School and The Reluctant Werewolf.

User Rating: 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: SCOOBY DOOBY DOO AND SCRAPPY DAPPY DOO TOO!
  • This series is most noted for the introduction of Scrappy-Doo, Scooby's nephew. Some say that this is what killed off the long-running series, but they're wrong; Scrappy actually *saved* the show from oblivion.

By the late 1970s, the run of Scooby-Doo shows was losing steam and needed something to revitalize it; an injection of "Puppy Power" did the trick. Even when the show went through various format changes (which would've happened with or without Scrappy), people kept watching and kept the ratings high because of that precocious pup. Indeed, that was why he stuck around season after season for almost a decade. Had he never come along, Scooby might now be as obscure and forgotten as Goober or Dinky.

"The Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show" marks the beginning of a long, strong run for Scooby-Doo, and for that reason alone deserves a special place in Hanna-Barbera history.
    While I have never been a fan of the original Scooby-Doo (due to its horrid production values), it appears like Shakespeare compared to this pile of crap brought to us by Hanna-Barbera! Without a doubt, Scrappy-Doo is about the most annoying and awful character created for children (and this includes the Teletubbies as well as Tommy the Tapeworm). Whose bright idea was it to create some sort of short mutant dog and enable it to speak and then saddle the Scooby-Doo characters with it?! Whoever it is deserves to die or watch this show (I think death is preferable). The bottom line is that the little dog is simply unfunny, annoying and grates on the nerves--and this is only in the BETTER episodes!! After many years, it would have been better to just end the franchise than create this mess! I can see why in the live-action Scooby-Doo movie they made the villain Scrappy-Doo--since practically everyone hates him!
  • afonsobritofalves13 September 2018
    In my opinion, one of the best animated series of Warner Bros. always. A great classic. It becomes a bit drier to see more than 3/4 episodes afterwards. But even so I highly recommend it.
  • I am so ashamed of myself. I still have vague memorizes of running around my parents house shouting "Puppy power!!!" But in my defense, this originally aired in 1979, the year I was born and when you're that young you think sticking a banana in your year is funny.

And your parents encourage it because they think it's cute and....

I feel dirty.

The bottom line is that Hannah-Barbara lost their original audience when they aged out and thought that, maybe, adding characters that appealed to rug rats like me would get their old viewers back...it didn't work.

it failed and even as a kid doing that utterly unforgivable thing that will probably guarantee me a ticket straight downstairs when I die...people my age still preferred the New Scooby Doo movies with the celebrity guest stars that weren't really relevant to us over Scrappy Doo.

Fact.

It makes me want to cry.
  • Scooby, Shaggy, Fred, Daphne and Velma are back once again to catch ghostly villains. But this time, they are joined by Scooby's hyper and feisty miniature nephew, Scrappy Doo.

The entire gang is here during the first reason, and Scrappy blended in well with the Mystery, Inc. gang. In my opinion, the story does better when there is more screen time with Fred, Daphne and Velma as they contribute more to the plot and give out more humor and suspense. Scrappy was a fun addition at first, but as the show progressed further into the other seasons, his overzealousness and him wanting to fight a lot was a bit too much.

It was a pretty entertaining show at first, but the original gang minus the pup is preferable - especially true when later seasons only featured Scooby, Shaggy and Scrappy. By the time that happened, the mystery-solving suspense and fun were gone and what we were left with was basic, childish and casual cartoon fare with little or no plot/relevance.

Grade B-