User Reviews (221)

• Creepshow (1982) was a horror fan's dream come true. Two of the masters in their respective fields joining forces to collaborate on a movie. Several tales filmed in an anthology style based upon the E.C. Comics that the two enjoyed reading in their youths. With Stephen King writing and George A. Romero directing plus Tom Savini creating the gory special effects how can you go wrong? You just can't and the aforementioned duo delivers the goods.

The story begins as a young kid is being punished by his overbearing and brutish father for reading "trashy filth" and is punished. During the night the tossed out comic book comes to life and plays out all the stories (in comic book form) with the "Creepshow Ghoul' leading the way. Black comedy has never been funnier.

All the stories are excellent and well directed. The set pieces are very well designed and are brilliantly executed. You have to love the lighting schemes. The cast is a mixture of new actors and classic ones. George A. Romero stated that he finally got to work with Fritz Weaver and Hal Holbrook and E.G. Marshall. Leslie Nielsen, Adrienne Barbeau, Ted Danson and Ed Harris co-star as well. A couple of Romero regulars such as his wife Christine, Tom Savini and who can forget Stephen King as Jordy Verill.

Creepshow is a true modern day horror classic. I have enjoyed this as a child and I still consider this movie one of my favorite horror films. Sadly the two could never capture the magic they once had. Maybe they'll work together directly in the near future. This movie was near flawless in design. They set out to recapture the old E.C. Comics aura and they succeeded. Followed by a absolutely bad sequel.

Highly recommended!
    | Copy link
  • "Creepshow" is a unique, funny, and creepy horror anthology from Stephen King and George A. Romero. The film centers around five stories - consisting of a murderous revenge tale of a father on fathers day ; a redneck (played by Stephen King himself) who begins growing a green substance on his body after coming in contact with a meteor ; a man who buries his wife and her lover up to their heads on the beach as the tide begins to come in ; a strange monster that lives in a crate that was discovered beneath a stairway ; and a Scrooge-like businessman who lives in a purely sanitized apartment that can't get rid of pesky cockroaches.

Each of the stories displayed in this movie are a little bit corny to a certain extent, but they are still well done and are quite amusing. There is a very good cast, including Ed Harris, Leslie Nielsen, Ted Danson, Adrienne Barbeau, and E.G. Marshall, whom all give good performances in the movie. The whole movie is tied in with the classic E.C. comics from the 1950s, each story as if it were from a comic book. I thought that whole comic aspect was pretty unique, and I liked the stories in the film ("The Crate" is by far the best of them all, the one with Leslie Nielsen is my runner up for second place).

Bottom line - if you are expecting some serious, intense horror movie, this is not for you. This movie isn't scary at all, I watched it when I was very young and it failed to even scare me then. "Creepshow" is a comical, campy, and well-done horror anthology. I only recommend it if you like this sort of thing, because it is more comic than horrific. Otherwise, it's really quite good for what it is. 8/10.
  • HumanoidOfFlesh17 December 2001
    George A.Romero("Dawn of the Dead","Day of the Dead","Martin")after huge success with "Dawn of the Dead" directed his another masterpiece-an anthology of five short stories called "Creepshow".The script was written by Stephen King,and the special effects were made by F/X wizard Tom Savini("Martin","Maniac","The Prowler").The first story "Father's Day" is so-so-nothing special,but the zombie looks terrific;the second story "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verril" is the funniest,Stephen King steals the show as a Jordy,a goofy farmer,who finds a strange meteor;the third story "Something To Tide You Over" is my favourite-it's ghastly,creepy,funny and a little bit disturbing,again great make-up of the drowned zombies;the fourth story "The Crate" is the longest and goriest-there's a lot of suspense and plenty of gore mixed with black humour.Finally we are getting to the last story "Creeping Up On You"-an enjoyable story about cockroaches with some rather gross special effects.Overall I must say that I love "Creepshow"-surely they don't make them like this anymore.This is a REAL horror,not a teen-oriented garbage like "Scream" or "Urban Legend".Check it out.
    | Copy link
  • When I was about 13 years-old, I tried to rent this on VHS several times. Unfortunately, my mother kept walking in during a particularly violent segment and made me turn it off. It was a long time before I finally saw the whole film.

If you watch the accompanying Just Desserts documentary on the double-disc DVD, you'll see how lovingly crafted this film really was. Not only so, but this truly transcends the schlock horror of its E.C. origins. The acting is first rate and the plots surprisingly thoughtful, considering how short each segment is. For example, watch Aunt Bedelia's tortured graveside monologue in Father's Day, or the curious interplay between Henry and Dex in The Crate. E.G. Marshall totally nails it in They're Creeping Up On You, the segment most loaded with subtext.

Tom Savini's make-up effects are excellent and he doesn't scrimp on the gore. The one segment I dislike is Something To Tide You Over, as it's a particularly nasty and sadistic story (despite the just desserts moral).

Overall, this has a worthy place in the annals of 80s horror and will always hold fond memories for me; a young boy who just wanted to see that crate monster tear his victims apart like sour bread.
    | Copy link
  • George A Romero & Stephen King combine here to give us 5 joyously silly tales based on the style of the E.C. Comics that both men loved as youths.

The film begins with a young boy having his comic collection thrown away by his father, this angers the boy and he plots evil revenge that segues into the five stories.

"Father's Day" is the opening story and whilst it isn't short on the camp factor, it's a very inauspicious start, a zombie father returns to enact vengeance on his horrid family in the name of cake! Next up is "The Lonesome Death Of Jody Verill", which sees Stephen King himself in the title role of a less than dumb hick who touches a fallen meteor and thus starts to turn into a plant monster. King has fun with the role but overplays it to dangerously annoying ham proportions, but it's a tidy fable with a cool ending. We then get to my personal favourite of the bunch with "Something To Tide You Over," here we have a delightfully villainous Leslie Nielson burying his unfaithful wife and her lover {Ted Danson} in the sand up to their necks as the tide starts to come in, naturally there is a grizzly twist a coming.

"The Crate" sees the arrival of Hal Holbrook and Adrienne Barbeau into the proceedings, a smart message of not opening crates marked with "Danger, Do Not Open," and here we get a genuinely scary monster into the show. The final segment is "They're Creeping Up On You" which seems to be a favourite of many across the site, and although it has creepy impact for those scared of insects, it's not the crowning glory I was hoping for. We are then cut back to the boy and his thirst for revenge and the film finishes with a glint in its eye, more schlock and camp than outright horror, but still a great piece of 80s fun for fans to enjoy, 7/10.
  • evanstew20 October 2006
    What a fun movie! Stephen King as Jordy Verril was surprisingly good(considering he sucks at acting in almost everything he's ever done), Leslie Nielson and Ted Danson killing each other were brilliant (you've come a long way, Becker), and the rest of the cast is just fabulous. As for the writing, it mas simply masterful, and we would expect nothing less from King. Five original, striking vignettes of people killing each other, getting killed, going crazy, and getting the crap scared out of them. Best of all was the directing, easily. Romero did a great job creating the pulp comic feel, with comic book panel segues, goofy dream sequences and flashbacks, and best of all, the jarring zooms with the red and blue lighting. It sounds stupid, but it works superbly. Everything came together on this film, and it shows. 8/10
    | Copy link
  • This movie is divided in five stories, conducted by a leading segment where the stressed father of a boy that loves horror comic books throws his Creepshow magazine in the garbage. The wind changes the pages and discloses the tales listed below.

"Father's Day" – While waiting Aunt Bedelia (Viveca Lindfors) for a dinner party, the greedy family recalls that she killed her own father seven years ago. Now her undead father returns from the grave as a zombie expecting to eat his cake. This segment is weak, and it is curious to see Ed Harris performing a minor role. (6).

"The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" – The redneck farmer Jordy Verrill (Stephen King) finds a meteor in his property in Castle Rock County and dreams on selling it for the local university and raising a large amount. However he is affected by the meteor and strange weeds grow-up on his body. This segment is the silliest and the greatest curiosity is Stephen King performing the lonely farmer. (5).

"Something to Tide you Over" - Harry Wentworth (Ted Danson) is forced by the revengeful Richard Vickers (Leslie Nielsen), who is the former husband of his woman Becky Vickers (Gaylen Ross), to go to Comfort Point beach and to bury himself in the sand. Then he brings a Television and a VCR to show Becky buried in the same conditions. With the high tide, their heads are submerged for the pleasure of the insane Richard. However, on the next night, he is visited by a couple of zombie lovers. This dark and claustrophobic segment is the scariest one and the only flaw is the lack of previous development of the characters. (9).

"The Crate" – When the janitor of a university finds a crate hidden below the stairs, he reports his findings to Professor Dexter Stanley (Fritz Weaver). They open the container and sooner Dexter finds that there is a hunger creature inside that devours the janitor and another scientist. When the disturbed Dexter tells to his colleague and friend Henry Northrup (Hal Holbrook) what happened, Henry sees the chance to get rid off his bitch wife Wilma Northrup (Adrienne Barbeau). This segment is the funniest, and the situations of Henry imagining killing Wilma are hilarious. (8).

"They're Creeping up on You!" – The mean and selfish Upson Pratt (E.G. Marshall) lives in an expensive bug-proof penthouse and treats his employees like garbage. During a blackout, his fancy apartment is infested by coach roaches driving Pratt to a tragic end. This gruesome tale is simple but nasty, with many coach roaches. (7).

The lead segment ends with the boy using a voodoo doll to provoke pain in his father.

This is the third time that I watch these entertaining horror tales, now on DVD. I only regret that there are no sequels of these great stories. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Creepshow"
    | Copy link
  • This was after Tales from the Crypt, however, Romero and King both where heavily influenced by these comics that they developed a movie that was sort of a satire/parody of Tales but in the same time a tribute to that comic book. In this movie there are four scary stories being told some written by Stephen King from his short stories and some written by Romero and SK. These stores, for that time, were pretty scary and freaked me out when they came in theaters. There are many great things about this movie that I enjoyed but there was, however, one huge things that I did not like about this movie. Regardless, it's about time for two horror geniuses to team up and do something good for a change.

First off, the movie itself is about a comic book similar to Tails and the four stories in the movie come directly from the Creepshow comic books. The reason why that this idea works in not only the principle of bringing a comic book to life but the way it was shot, edited and lit. The camera angles had very defined and geometrical angels, similar to those that you would see in a comic book. The lighting when something horrible happens turns red, or if somebody is screaming the background turns to a shattered red background, thereby giving each scene a more comic book-like feel to visual picture. It had choppy edits and quick cuts, which we all know that comic books have. So we have a visual perspective of a comic, the overall pattern and texture of a comic and now we have the quick stimulus of a comic.

Between each story there is a sub-story dealing with a young boy who finds the Creepshow comic book and how little by little he becomes more possessed by it. These intermissions also incorporate The Creep or our host for the evening. This character is by far the Crypt Keeper or the Vault Keeper to our mockup of Tales. Like the Crypt Keeper in the actual comic, he begins each segment with a scene setup and a conclusion, however he does not talk, he just blows around in the wind. With the beginning of each new story it starts out with a still scene of that story with heavy rotoscoping to make it look as if it is a comic book page, then fades out to a real-life still image and then begins. The same could be said about the ending. The clever technique gives the viewer a further illustration that this is a comic book come to life.

Though this movie strikes it rich on my scare-o-meter there is just one thing that took me out of the movie just a little. I know what they where going at when they decided this concept and I understand it was a good idea but it doesn't work when it gets put on film. The campy one-liners, the cheesy sub-story and the lame screams. Of course its predecessor did the same thing, I don't think that it works as well on film as it does on paper. I think it was a nice try though.

Overall I do believe that this is a horror/parody classic and that many horror fans, if not cult horror fans, would like this movie for what it is. I certainly enjoyed it, even now; I recommend this movie to anybody who loves the zombie king and the horror king. A movie worth buying a ticket for.
    | Copy link
  • I think it's pretty clear that the amount of enjoyment you get out of this movie is directly related to how sick your sense of humor is. Those people with a fairly low tolerance for sick humor, such as myself, won't particularly like it, but people who thoroughly enjoy horror cheese like "Tales From the Crypt" should LOVE this.

Now, even though I personally don't like this movie, I have to admit it is very well made. Everything is perfectly over-the-top: the music, the gaudy colors, the makeup--it's all done to the point where it is totally ridiculous, which is what King and Romero want. And I must admit I did like the segment "The Crate." How can you NOT love a giant ape-monster running around tearing people to bits? Sick, sick stuff, but enjoyable all the same.

If you like gruesome black humor, this is the movie for you. "Creepshow" is shock schlock at its very best. And as an added bonus, it is not very well known today, so it can have a wonderful "What the hell are you WATCHING!?" effect on other people.

8/10 stars.
  • boba-212 September 1998
    I was ten years old the first time I saw Creepshow in the theater in 1982. I was overtook by the visual effects. The backgrounds are what make the film. My brother looked at the wrong newspaper for the movie, so I arived at the theater twenty minutes late for the movie. My heart raced and my eyes opened wide to the sight of a half-decayed man with a head on a platter. There were candles and icing on the decapitated head. The decayed man said in a disgusting voice,"It's Father's Day...And I got my cake!" No other horror movie ever effected me in that way. It was the most brilliant spectical I've ever seen in a motion picture. Creepshow is a very under-rated film. I had to get that out.
    | Copy link
  • Despite some major problems (mainly contained in Stephen King's uneven and often heavy-handed script), this is still a pretty fun attempt to bring 1950s EC horror comics to the big screen. One of the best things about it is director George ('Night of the Living Dead') Romero's creative, vivid direction, that captures the bright color schemes and comic book framing to a tee. Each tale has a different horror theme usually tempered with some comedy and ranging from a rich patriarch returning from the dead to get revenge on his obnoxious family to a meteor that causes an outbreak of vegetation to a fanged, ape-like creature that's been locked away in a crate for decades. All five of the tales presented, despite some missteps, offer up good gory fun. Some of the acting is good, too, particularly Adrienne Barbeau as a heavy drinking, obnoxious faculty wife who gets what she deserves, Hal Holbrook as her hen-pecked husband and E.G. Marshall as a wealthy, obsessively clean old jerk who is savaged in his futuristic apartment by a legion of cockroaches. Talk about flesh crawling! Tom Savini's special effects are great, as usual.
    | Copy link
  • This horror flick is an analogy of five stories of creepiness and horror - covering stuff from zombies to monsters to bugs. This film has that skin-crawling factor and those jumpy moments that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

The acting is not terribly good, the music score is somewhat eerie and the plots for each story are fast-paced to a degree. There are not much of humor, drama or action in this horror flick - just plain weirdness and thrills. The make-up and visual effects were well done, definitely giving off that sensation of fright and outrageous horror.

Not the greatest horror movie out there, but it's a good one to watch during Halloween.

Grade B-
  • loockmonster28 June 2016
    Creepshow is an outstanding film. How could it not be when Stephen King, George A. Romero, and Tom Savaini are all working together? The three are horror masters. If somebody were to say it was terrible or stupid, then they would be missing the point. The movie is a satire of EC horror comics from the 50's. The Creep is the horror host. (Like the crypt keeper or the old witch.)The visuals are also similar to the comics. The scene would turn red whenever something scary happened. A dark scene was light blue. The scenes always started out as comic book panel, but morph into a live action scene. The stories have everything horror fans could want. Rotting zombies, strange plants that won't stop growing, cartoonish revenge plots, monsters under the stairs, and mass swarms of bugs that can't be stopped. I would highly recommend this movie to people who love both horror and comic books. I would say "The Crate" is the best, and "They're Creeping Up On You", is the worst.
    | Copy link
  • I remember the day I saw "Creepshow" at the theatre when it first came out. I was fifteen-years-old and I loved it then as I love it now, because...it's ALOTTA FUN! Not brutally scary, so, kids love it; cleverly funny, so, adults love it; and, comic bookish, so, everyone loves it!

To me, this is the 'perfect movie' for a horror fan to show to their early-teen to 'see' if the youngster likes scary movies or not (depending on the child, of course).

It's presented in a comic book fashion which gives it an attractive element that kids will enjoy. It also has 'silly' parts, such as "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill," played by none other than the writer and Master himself, Stephen King. It's family fun on Halloween night!

To this day, I have no idea as to WHY this movie has an 'R' rating. Some 'TV shows,' which EVERYONE has access to, are actually more graphic, and, more serious...i.e. - "The Walking Dead" (also, one of my personal favorites); "Z Nation;" etc.

As with 'any' movie or TV show, watch it first; then, do as you feel is right. I saw this at fifteen; my Son saw it at ten; kids nowadays probably see it at 6!?!? Considering what's now on television, this movie may even appear to a child as un-scary and passé - much like many of the the horror movies of the 1940s and 1950s were to my 1970s generation!?!?

I LOVE HORROR MOVIES, and, this flick is one of my all-time favorites as it's 'not-too-tart and not-too-sweet, it's just right! It also brings me back to my teens when the most important subjects in my life were girls; sports; comic books; record albums (vinyl, of course); and, the latest HORROR MOVIE! :)

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE!
    | Copy link
    Here's to writers, George Romero and Stephen King, producer, Richard Rubenstein and a talented cast for collaborating on this 1980's classic illumination of the popularly demented comic books of the 1950's inspired by the weird works of H.P. Lovecraft and bringing it to colorful life. This features five stories. "Fathers Day", your typical "vengeance from the grave" tale, "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" in which Stephen King himself is turned into a mutated plant after a meteorite crashes on his farm, "Something To Tide You Over" with Leslie Neilson involved in a twisted revenge scheme that comes back to haunt him, "The Crate" has a prehistoric creature and a plan to get rid of a bitchy wife, and last but not least a million cockroaches terrorize a heartless businessman in "They're Creeping Up On You".

This combines excellent performances from a versatile group of genre actors with a brilliant use of color and dynamics to bring the campy and gory feel of the horror comics alive. The great cast includes, Adrienne Barbeau, Fritz Weaver, Ted Danson, Ed Harris, E.G. Marshall, Hal Holbrook, Tom Atkins, Viveca Lindfors and more. The stories are told with a witty and coherent script and lively pace, a perfectly fitting electronic musical score and a great wrap-around story brings it to a satisfying close. Tom Savini's talents go into the creature FX, and he has a cameo at the end... and hooray for scenes of this being filmed in my home town of Monroeville!! Enjoy!
    | Copy link
  • Stephen King and George Romero joined forces and brought us an anthology of short horror stories, tied together as stories in a 1950's style horror comic book. The film includes five stories, all written by King: a deceased father returns from the grave for a special Father's Day reunion, a small-town simpleton dreams of riches when a strange meteor crashes on his property, a jolted husband exacts revenge on his cheating wife and her lover, a professor discovers a century-old secret hidden in a crate beneath the stairs, and a germophobic businessman's "germ-proof" apartment is invaded by cockroaches. The stories are all tied together as part of a comic book with some cool illustrations used as transitions between each tale.

I was surprised by some of the good performances in this movie. My favorite would easily be Leslie Nielsen as Richard Vickers in "Something to Tide You Over", the husband getting his thrills from torturing his cheating wife and her boyfriend. I enjoyed seeing Nielsen in a role that wasn't comedic, as I was used to. Instead, we get a glimpse of his evil side. Oddly enough, I also enjoyed Stephen King's cartoonish performance as the title character in "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill". The first time I saw the movie, I found him annoying. Since then, it's grown on me and now I enjoy his bit in the movie. We also get some good performances from Ted Danson and E.G. Marshall, though it's said Ed Harris was given such a small role. It almost feels wasteful.

As I had mentioned, the entire movie is stylized to create the feeling of 1950's horror comics. This means we treated to plenty of gel-colored lighting, oblique camera angles, eccentric characters, and even some comic book framing/captions. It creates a fun style, but it tends to detract from any horror element in the film. If it weren't for the occasional walking dead or blood-thirsty creature, I would almost consider this more of a dark comedy. Regardless of the genre, the film is entertaining for a two hour viewing, though nothing special. Despite it's horror roots, there isn't too much objectionable content which makes it relatively safe for the younger crowd to enjoy too. I wouldn't consider this film a classic, but it's worth the time to watch it if you haven't seen it yet.

My favorite segment, if I were to chose one, would definitely be "Something to Tide You Over". Leslie Nielsen FTW.
    | Copy link
  • This is one of my favorite horror movie anthologies. All five stories are pretty good; some of course are better than others. This one is also a lot better than Creepshow 2, which had only one really good story to it. The first story is an ok story involving this old man killed by his daughter. He comes back to life expecting a cake cause its father's day. Nothing to surprising happens here, but it is still pretty fun. The next one involves the story that has Stephen King as the main star. This is probably the weakest one of the five, but it is worth a chuckle or two as King does a somewhat good job of playing a slow fellow. This story involves a meteor that makes grass grow everywhere. The next story is one of the best, a revenge tale with Ted Danson and Leslie Nielson. Danson has been having an affair with Nielson's wife so Nielson takes him to the beach and buries him up to his neck in the sand. He had done the same thing with his wife and the tide apparently kills them both...or does it? The next tale is rather good as well as it has Adriean Barbeau in it as this obnoxious wife. Her husband finds out about a crate that may take care of her though. And the final tale is about a doctor or something, who is a bit of a clean freak. He lives in a special apartment that is supposed to be germ free, but it apparently has a roach problem. I don't even think he is a doctor, but he seems to be wearing a doctor's clothes. All in all Creepshow is a pretty enjoyable flick.
    | Copy link
    Sometimes, a movie is so perfect that you can't objectively discuss it. Creepshow is that kind of movie - a perfect combination of portmanteau, E.C. comics, goopy special effects and gross-out humor. It's also the perfect melding of some of the greatest talents in horror - George Romero, Tom Savini, Bernie Wrightson and Stephen King.

This film is King's screenwriting debut and consists of five short stories (two based on King stories) and a framing element where Billy (played by King's son Joe Hill) fights with his father (Tom Atkins!) over his horror comics. Soon, the Creep himself comes to his window, asking Billy to come closer as he transforms from a practical effect (that uses a real human skeleton) to animation (done by Pittsburgh-based group The Animators, who also did the Tom Petty video for "Running Down a Dream").

In the first story, Father's Day, Nathan Grantham is the old man of the family, rich from a life of murder, fraud and extortion. Finally, on Father's Day, his long-suffering daughter Bedelia (Viveca Lindfors, The Bell from Hell) finally rises up against a lifetime of abuse and torture (he even killed the only man she ever loved) and kills him.

Every year on Father's Day, his family gathers to celebrate his life. And by that, I mean that they talk about how much they hated him. There's Sylvia (Carrie Nye, wife of Dick Cavett), Richard, Cass and Cass's husband Hank (Ed Harris, showing up in another Romero film after his star turn in Knightriders).

Bedelia is late, but she has to stop at the cemetery and see the grave. She's drunk - again - and spills her whiskey all over the headstone, which brings her horrible father back from the dead. One by one, he wipes out his family, all while screaming for his Father's Day cake. Well, he gets it.

Some minor trivia here - Nathan's corpse is played by John Amplas, who is a noted theater teacher in Pittsburgh. However, you may know him better as the title protagonist of Romero's classic Martin.

Up next, The Lonesome Death of Jody Verrill is nearly a one-man show for King. Based on his story Weeds, it's a Lovecraftian tale (think The Colour Out of Space) of a meteor destroying a simple man. It also has some great old WWWF footage and an appearance by Pittsburgh stage legend Bingo O'Malley.

Something to Tide You Over is a very E.C. Comics story, where a wife (Gaylen Ross) and her lover (Ted Danson from TV's Cheers) finally get caught by her husband (Leslie Nielsen in a rare villainous role). It's a simple story told well with incredible effects from Savini, as instead of just zombies, he creates seaweed and salt water damaged undead monsters.

The Crate is the real crowd pleaser of the film and is based on the King short story of the same name. Between Hal Holbrook, Fritz Weaver and Adrienne Barbeau, it's packed with star power. And the actual beast inside the crate is a Savini tour de force, a perfect monster. There's also a cameo by Romero's ex-wife, Christine Forrest.

Finally, in They're Creeping Up on You, E.G. Marshall rules the screen as Upson Pratt, a Howard Hughes-like man who lives in a sealed apartment because he's deathly afraid of insects. As in any E.C. Comics story, what you fear the most is what will destroy you.

There's an interesting object that keeps showing up throughout the film - a marble ashtray that shows up in nearly every scene. It's the one used to kill Nathan in the first story, but it keeps reappearing. Is it the Loc-Nar of Creepshow?

If you're from Pittsburgh, Creepshow is a tour of home. There's an abandoned girl's school in Greensburg that was used for the majority of the shoot, as well as Carnegie Mellon University, Romero's own backyard in Shadyside and a mansion in Fox Chapel. The only non-Pittsburgh setting was a New Jersey beach for the drowning scenes.

Creepshow truly is the most fun you'll ever have being scared. It was followed by two sequels of diminishing quality, but it's held up for over thirty years. It's a movie I bring out and watch at least once a year.
    | Copy link
    It's five jolting tales of horror from two of the greatest names in horror, Stephen King and George A. Romero. Five gut-wrenching horror stories that will shock you to your core- or just make you laugh. Yeah, to be honest, this one's kind of funny, but intentionally so. Creepshow is a darkly humorous horror anthology that was a collaboration between acclaimed horror writer Stephen King (Rage, The Dark Tower) and director George A. Romero (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead). The two masters of horror join forces to make a movie! Where could you go wrong?

In Creepshow, there are five short horror films in one. The film as a whole was based on 1950s EC/DC horror comics, so the whole movie is colorful and a little bit lighter in tone than a lot of horror movies are, but that may be a good thing. It's nice to get a little comic relief, and Creepshow lives well up to its tagline, "The most fun you'll ever have been scared." The most fun you'll ever have being scared indeed.

The first two stories aren't really that scary, especially the second one. The first, "Father's Day," has one of my favorite horror movie quotes: "I want my cake!" My dad sometimes says that as an inside joke. In "Father's Day," a miserly, greedy old man is killed by his daughter Bedelia on Father's Day. Seven years later, he rises from the dead as a maggot-infested revenant in search of only one thing: the Father's Day cake he never got. It sounds pretty stupid, and really, it is, but it's kind of funny, and actually pretty creepy. On to the next one.

"The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill." This also has one of my favorite horror movie quotes, but to keep this school appropriate, I won't share it. Jordy Verrill is a dimwitted redneck played by Stephen King himself whose farm is overtaken by alien vegetation when a meteor crashes on his farm. He is overwhelmed by the rapid growth which begins to spread on him as well. It's not scary, but it's quite atmospheric, pretty funny, and actually has the very best ending to any one of these segments. The vegetation grows exponentially when exposed to water, and as the farm is overgrown overnight, we hear a radio report predicting heavy rain for the next week, leaving the audience with the grim expectancy that this will further facilitate the spread.

The next three segments are all scarier and darker. "Something to Tide You Over" follows Harry Wentworth who is buried alive on the beach and drowned in the high tide by psychopathic Richard Vickers, whose wife Harry had been in a secret relationship with. After their frightening deaths, Harry and Becky return as watery corpses who exact revenge on Richard, who delivers yet another great horror quote: "I can hold my breath for a long time!" as he prepares for a similar fate to the one he had subjected Harry and Becky to.

In "The Crate," which is the second best one, traumatized Horlicks University Professor Dexter Stanley must figure out how to dispose of a terrifying ape-like monster that devours a janitor and grad student, who delivers a great quote ("That's pretty far out Professor Stanley."), after it escapes the crate it's been in for over 140 years under the stairs in the university's laboratory. Professor Stanley's friend Henry Northrup meanwhile sees the beast as a way to rid himself of his nagging wife. The whole segment is bloody, scary, and disturbingly funny. I love this one.

And finally we have the creepiest one yet, "They're Creeping Up on You." E.G. Marshall portrays racist, mysophobic rich man Upson Pratt who lives sealed up in his New York City penthouse apartment. As a rolling blackout heads right for his building, cockroaches begin to spread throughout the room. The room is all white, and the music is eerily creepy. This segment is by far the most atmospheric. It's really creepy when Mr. Pratt sits drifting into space, telling an employee over the phone about the bug problem, and actually he's talking to himself, as if he's crazy. As the blackout nears, countless thousands of roaches swarm Pratt, killing him and then bursting from his chest in an appalling yet satisfying ending to the most darkly humorous segment of them all. This segment may also be metaphorical, the roaches resembling all of the little people Pratt stepped on his whole life. This is one is as analytical as it is scary and disturbing.

There's one more story though. The wraparound story. A young boy named Billy, who is played by King's son, Joe, is punished for reading the Creepshow horror comic book. The next day, which begins immediately following the last segment, Billy gets his revenge on his dad in the form of a voodoo doll.

Really, this movie is great. Kind of dumb, and more funny at first than scary, but great. It's creepy, the music is awesome eighties synth at its finest, the stories and characters are all entertaining, and the ensemble cast did a phenomenal job. The comic book artwork is also really neat, and a lot of fun. King and Romero's shot at making a great horror movie together was not wasted.
    | Copy link
    Oh man, you guys, THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN TO WATCH. Like grinning from ear to ear for most of it. Directed by George A. Romero and written by Stephen King (both his screen writing debut AND his acting debut, as he stars in the second story), what's not to love? The entire anthology is an homage to the EC and DC horror comics of the 50's, and Romero made sure some of that imagery came through with each story starting and ending with the comic book illustration version. The collection is also framed in the premise of a young boy – Stephen King's actual son, Joe – being scolded for reading such nasty comics. The characters in the story are perfect caricatures, intentionally going above and beyond more subtle acting into something much more ridiculous. I'll go story by story for my more specific reviews…

#1: Father's Day – If you remember one thing about this collection, you remember Nathan Grantham (Jon Lormer) – the crabby, abusive father – moaning "Bedeliaaaaa, you b***h!" and wanting his Father's Day cake. It's so absurd that it's hilarious, and yet, true to any good black comedy, you have the very real and disturbing topics of lifelong abuse, alcoholism, and planned murder. You THINK it's the silliest story of all (though dad coming out with Sylvia's severed head on a plate is pretty awesome), until you see the next one…

#2: The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill – This is the one story where we get to see Stephen King acting, and it is glorious. He is the perfect backwoods bumpkin, down to the denim overalls and unibrow. He finds a meteorite that has crash landed in his backyard, and his daydream about being lauded at the "Department of Meteors" is just too good. But then he gets some mysterious blue liquid on him – "meteor s**t!" – and things start spiraling out of control as he – and everything he touches – becomes more and more covered in these bright green weeds. I love the way they amped up the effect of said weeds with green lighting – it makes the whole yard seem like it's glowing, very ethereal. But for the silliness in this story, it's also really sad and kind of terrifying… him dying alone in his home, knowing there's likely nothing that can be done for him, and shooting himself after his last conversation with his (deceased) father.

#3: Something to Tide You Over – This one was probably my least favorite of the bunch. It's definitely more psychological horror than anything, which I appreciate, but it just didn't do much for me. Richard Vickers (Leslie Nielsen) is quite clearly psychopathic as he plans out the torture and eventual murder of his unfaithful wife, Becky (Gaylen Ross), and her lover, Harry (Ted Danson). He lures each of them to his private beach and buries them up to their necks in sand, telling them their only chance of survival is to hold their breath long enough to escape once the tide has come in and loosened the sand. He has also set up closed-circuit TV cameras so he can enjoy watching their torture from the comfort of his luxury beach home. There's definitely some anxious feelings watching them be buried and seeing them sputter and gasp as the tide comes in and starts to cover them more and more often with salty water. And the ending – with Vickers himself buried in sand, laughing and exclaiming "I can hold my breath for a looooong time!" is quite satisfying.

#4: The Crate – This was another great one. A college custodian finds a mysterious crate that has been hidden under some basement stairs. He contacts one of the professors and they explore the contents of the crate together, only to find it contains an extremely violent and dangerous creature who then proceeds to wreak havoc. This one doubles as both a great monster story – the creature itself is pretty terrifying, both in looks and in the fact that it's been cooped up for almost 150 years and is now hungry for blood – and a great black comedy, with Henry (Hal Holbrook) seeing the creature as a perfect means to get rid of his drunk, belligerent, and abusive wife, Wilma (Adrienne Barbeau). His daydreams about shooting her to the crowd's applause and strangling her with a tie are brilliant. He is successful, of course, and is cocky about his disposal of the creature, but the story ends with a good cliffhanger as we see the beast is in fact alive and well…

#5: They're Creeping Up on You – The best story by a mile. Upson Pratt (E.G. Marshall) is the standout of the entire anthology — he's ruthless, cold, and living holed up in his hermetically sealed penthouse. The whole thing feels like a bizarre dream, exaggerated in the scenes where he is talking through the door's peephole. As the roaches seemingly multiply and invade, you feel this kind of suffocation watching his panic and attempts to escape. He locks himself in his panic room but quickly realizes they've made their way in there, too, and soon dies of a heart attack. The story finishes when it shows his now-empty panic room and his corpse… which soon bursts open with hordes of cockroaches (one of the freakiest, scariest things I've seen in a long time). Brilliant from top to bottom.

Really, do yourself a favor and watch this anthology!
    | Copy link
  • Creepshow (8/10) A horror anthology brought together by two of the most renowned minds in horror, Stephen King and George A. Romero. The first of five stories is the super cheesy "Father's Day", a great way to kick off the series of spook stories. Next was Something To Tide You Over, which in my opinion has the best writing and dialogue of the bunch. We also see E.G. Marshall and Stephen King star as the lone character in their respective stories, which is about a fast invasive space plant species' and an apartment being overrun by cockroaches that symbolize the cities minority community. The most notable segment is the fan favorite called The Crate led by Hal Holbrook, the lovely Adrienne Barbeau and a wicked, little man-eating arctic monster. The movie as a whole keeps the viewer interested since the stories are so short and the dark comedy is persistently good. If I were to rank the stories it would go Something To Tide You Over, The Crate, Father's Day, The Lonesome Death of Jody Verrill, They're Creeping Up On You.
    | Copy link
    I think it's fair to say that CREEPSHOW is one of the greatest horror anthologies in the history of cinema, and perhaps the greatest of all American variants. It helped pave the way for the long-running horror anthologies TV series of the '80s and '90s like TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE and TALES FROM THE CRYPT, and it reminded audiences - who were drowning under a sea of slashers, lest we forget - that horror could be creative and fun.

There are five tales here, with a fun and goofy wraparound story that pays homage to the film's comic-book roots. Clearly George Romero and writer Stephen King are having a lot of fun playing with genre staples. The first episode is a nice zombie outing, featuring a youthful Ed Harris and some funny dialogue. The second story is an out and out comedy riff on Lovecraft's THE COLOUR OUT OF SPACE; King's performance is a hoot. The third story is the most serious of the five and features Leslie Nielsen in an unusually villainous performance and Ted Danson the object of his hate; a more psychological horror yarn, this one, and effective for it.

The fourth episode is the creepiest and best plotted. It involves a dusty old crate and its sinister inhabitant, and it benefits from the performances of central cast members Hal Halbrook, Fritz Weaver, and the delightfully irritating Adrienne Barbeau. The last story is the most simple and sees E.G. Marshall battling against a host of cockroaches, and is the most memorable of the lot thanks to some exceptionally gruesome special effects work. It's also my favourite, being the monster lover that I am.
    | Copy link
  • If there's a better team to recreate the E.C. Comics on film, I haven't seen it. In the movie Creepshow, George Romero and Stephen King have created perfectly over the top renditions of 5 tales from the E.C. Comic series. It's a rather adventurous collection and contains a little something for everyone I believe. It is very well made and everything has a purpose from the gaudy, clashing colors to the crazy lighting and make up, and all the way up to the rather top- notch and eclectic acting.

Brief Synopses and Descriptions:

1. "Father's Day" (Ed Harris) - While awaiting their Aunt Bedelia's arrival to their Father's Day dinner party, a family regales itself with stories of how their aunt killed her father 7 years prior. But on this day, they're gonna wish Aunt Bedelia had made him his Father's Day cake instead. He'll have his cake and eat it too! What glorious make up they had for this one.

2. "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verril" (Stephen King) - A bit of comic relief, this tale is about a lonely country bumpkin who discovers a meteor that ends up having very curious effects and consequences. This one is short and sweet. It's very colorful and imaginative as it leaves you feeling sorry for the guy by the end haha.

3. "Something to Tide You Over" (Leslie Nielson) - When a vexed man finally exacts his revenge against his wife and her not-so-secret lover, they'll be up to their necks in trouble. A somewhat shocking and well drawn-out twist at the end, but this one will certainly have you holding your breath haha.

4. "The Crate" - When a janitor finds a crate under the stairs of a college containing an ancient creature with a veracious appetite, Henry Northrup sees this as an opportunity to finally break off his relationship with his wife, Wilma Northrup. This one is a very enjoyable ride to sit through. It's filled with suspense and a mild coating of dark humor throughout. It's hard to tell who the bad guy is in this one haha.

5. "Creeping Up On You" (E.G. Marshall) - A rich man with an aversion to insects gets his comeuppance from cockroaches. This one has some rather grand special effects and leaves us with an ending to die for.

It all adds up to one hell of a classic that you'll find yourself coming back to over the years. So kick back, don't take it too seriously, and be ready for a good time!
  • Rainey Dawn30 October 2014
    One of the best dark comedies ever made. Creepshow contains five of the most bizarre and twisted tales of horror - yet they are quite comically told. Worth watching if you enjoy odd-ball comedy and horror.

I am not sure which of the five stories is my favorite because all of them are good. "Father's Day" and "The Crate" are pretty creepy and thrilling as well as sprinkled with some good black comedy. To me, "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" is the most comical story - just something about keeps me laughing just thinking about it. "Something to Tide You Over" is the scariest of all the stories for me (the idea of drowning *shivers*). And the last story, "They're Creeping Up on You!", wins the gross-out factor for me. All in all we have a great mix of thrills, horror and comedy in this awesome classic movie.

This movie is a long time favorite of mine. If you like the first Creepshow movie then I highly recommend the second film: Creepshow II.