User Reviews (31)

• 'Hunter' was such a great show - even despite having several cast changes throughout the course of it's 7 year run, the chemistry between characters was inspiring - most definitely the relationship between Hunter and McCall, and the captain between the two themselves (Charles Hallahan was the best captain, in my opinion, of the 3 captains that starred throughout the course of the show)....

Direction, writing, acting, and the associated music (have I left anything out?) were the main components that undoubtedly led to the success of the show...

If you get a chance to watch 'Hunter,' watch it!
  • My favorite cop show of the 80s was HUNTER. Fred Dryer was awesome as Rick Hunter, a shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later Dirty Harry-type, which is actually what the show started out as, but the character was toned down a little afterwards. Stephanie Kramer, as D.D. McCall, was the best of his three female partners, as was Charles Hallahan as the third of three different captains. It was like a small-screen action movie, with plenty of car chases and gun fights. Dryer and Kramer had great chemistry, which especially came across in the episodes featuring personal stories for the two, such as the first season two-parter in which Hunter defies orders and goes to Mexico to look for a guy who had attacked McCall and hid behind his diplomatic immunity. It was an episode that allowed Hunter to display the depth of his friendship to McCall and showed just how much the characters cared for one another. I don't remember too much about the later years (in which Hunter went through two new partners), but I recall a lot of the earlier ones, with many standout episodes. I would definitely love to have this great series on DVD.
  • This past week I viewed an episode of the hit drama cop series "Hunter" which now can be seen on TBS during the weekdays. In fact over the last few months I have viewed a couple episodes of "Hunter" and the viewings just reminded me just what a great show it was! I remember as a youngster on Saturday night "Hunter" occupied the NBC schedule and during that time period of the mid 1980's it's popularity was unmatched and I can see why. With every episode I watched from my days as a child and even now on TBS you can notice not only are the scripts well crafted but the characters are really what made this show. Especially notice the chemistry between Fred Dryer and Stepfanie Kramer they are able to play partners to perfection. Dryer a former professional football player a defensive end to be exact is tailor made for the part of Detective Sergeant Rick Hunter his own physical appearance combined with the attitude of a kick ass style cop make him a perfect fit and that made the show more interesting to watch. Stepfanie Kramer handles her job as Sergeant Dee Dee McCall just wonderful. Hey what happened to Stepfanie Kramer? What kind of logic are the TV networks and executives using? I tell you Stepfanie is a real cutesie. She definitely needs to be back once again in front of a TV camera her beauty must be noticed. "Hunter" ranks as one of the best cop shows of all-time due to the reasons I mentioned. Finally do yourself a favor and watch the reruns on TBS if you have the time believe me you will be pleased.
  • The earliest episodes with John Amos as the captain were silly. His continuing bad attitude toward them in the face of their success was unrealistic. Beyond that, however, the entire series was great. It suffered some after Stepfanie Kramer left, but it was still good.
  • Why did everyone sound like they can from NYC when it was set in LA? Why was the Italian mob active in LA? Why did so many cars explode when shot or when wrecking? How do tires squeal on dirt and gravel? So many questions but despite all of the inconsistencies, this show was fun to watch and entertaining.
    Hunter was a good action packed show that I enjoyed in my youth. I really started enjoying the show in later years when the LAPD actually started backing the show, the so-called transfer to Metro. For me thats when the show started getting realistic. Of course because the show started focusing more on story and less on action people lost interest and the show was canceled. However it was on the air for six years and that is a commendable run for any TV program. I still watch the show every once in a while on TVland and my eyes are stilled glued to the show just like they were when I was a kid and watched the show for the first time.
  • Hunter was like the small-screen version of Dirty Harry, but a tad more on the gentle side. Fred Dryer's performance and Stefanie Kramers as Hunter's partner Detective Dee Dee McCall made this one of the most memorable cop show of the glorious decade that was the 1980's. In the first Season Hunter and McCall meet for the first time to take on a slasher of beautiful women, McCall's ex-partner turned mob hit-man, a case where the main suspect is the police commissioner, crooked sheriffs, a mafia hit, missing pigeons (??!!?), Hunter being false imprisoned, an overzealous bounty hunter, more mafioso, a cop killer, an overzealous parole officer, an overzealous surveillance expert, Hollywood, drug related death, and Hunter's ex among others. Featuring such notable guest stars as Brian Dennehy, Bo Svenson, Wings Hauser, Tracey Walter, Frances McDormand, Ed O'Neill, Christopher McDonald, Dennis Farina, Dennis Franz, and Monique Gabrielle. The first season had great shows for the most part (the Pigeon episode wasn't that good in the least) and the chemistry between Hunter and McCall is great. It's kinda cool that Hunter's badge number is the same as Dryer's uniform number when he played for the Rams by the way.

My Season 1 grade: B+

Best episodes of this season: the 2-part Pilot, Pen Pals, The Garbage Man, the Snow Queen 2-parter, and Guilty

Featuring such notable guest stars as James Hong, Robert Englund, Isaac Hayes, Robert Davi, the second season of Hunter feels different, the locations feel flashier, Hunter himself feels less of a bad ass, I and it just wasn't as good as the first season. This isn't to say there weren't any good episodes to be found as "Night of The Dragons" was the show in top form. "The Return of Typhoon Thompson", the 2-part "the Beautiful & the Dead", and "Death Machine" were good too.

My Season 2 Grade: C+

Season 1 DVD extras: Interesting interviews with Stephan Cannell (17 and a half minutes) and Stefanie Kramer (15 minutes)

Season 2 DVD Extras: Interviews with series creator Stephen J. Cannell and composer Mike Post (84 min); & Hunter scenes from "Six Million Dollar Misunderstanding" in Spanish and French

Season 2 DVD-Rom content: "Six Million Dollar Misunderstanding" screenplay in .PDF format Gripes: As is common, a lot of music has been changed for copyright issues, some of the episodes were cut for the same reason (most notably Snow Queen)

• Hunter was a conventional detective show in most respects, but had an innovation that advanced the genre to new levels: the laws of physics were changed so that when cars crashed, they spiraled upwards at a 45 degree angle. You could count on this happening at least once per show, and always at the same point in the soundtrack.

The only detective series to better Hunter in repeatable phenomena was Mannix, a forgotten show from the 60s. Not only would a car drive off the same cliff at least once per show, but Mannix would be whacked on the brain stem at the exact same point in the show every week, and display no ill effects. Or, come to think of it, maybe that was why the dialog was so bad...
  • lfowden845 October 2006
    Enjoyed the series when shown on TV first time around.I have purchased season one to three (as available) and I am wondering when further seasons will be released.I enjoyed Fred Dryer's laid back acting(I know he was replacing Clint Eastwwod persons on TV) but the cast was so right for the show,except maybe the "Captain', until the arrival of the actor who finally settled in the role.I seem to have forgotten the name of whoever played the captain. But I enjoyed James Whitmore Jr and his by the book policing, Didi Mccall (Stephanie Kramer)stunningly beautiful yet so handy with her gun,although I must admit she looked too frail to be a real cop.All in all a good series to add to one's library.Cannot wait for future season releases to buy. Millie
  • This was the all time best cop show made. Fred Dryer and Stepfanie Kramer were matched perfectly and Charles was great as the captain. If you have never seen it you missed out. The story lines were great and the show was kept realistic.
  • This was a great show when it first aired in the 80's and it still is a great show in re-runs and on DVD. It says something about a series when it is still being aired 20 years after its original date. The production value for this show with all its action and stunt sequences was incredible. Of course, the chemistry between Fred Dryer and Stephanie Kramer was what really made this show. You were always thinking, "Are they ever going to date?" LOL - good memories. It's too bad that Stephanie Kramer had to quit the show because of health issues (kept spraining/breaking her ankle because of all the stunt work involved - surprising, considering she was a former female wrestler). Unlike the A-Team in that it had lots of hard stories, murder, blood, and violence. But very exciting to watch!
  • I watched these back in the day and recently started re-watching on Hulu. I still enjoy them, but I notice things now I didn't 35 years ago. My favorite thing is the fact that every time they shoot at a car, it flips into the air and usually explodes. I also enjoy watching Stepfanie Kramer run around with her perfect hair and makeup, often wearing a dress and heels, and never breaking a nail. I enjoy Fred Dryer even with his overuse of "it works for me". One thing that started toward the end of the first season was the "music video" format for shows. They would play a song while showing the story taking place. Maybe they got tired of writing dialog? Sometimes it works, but usually it's some lame song that I end up muting, and it just gets old and tiresome. I'm just finishing Season 1 so I may change my mind, but overall the stories are pretty good, and regardless of its faults it's enjoyable.
  • The basic virtue - the proposition of an old fashion hero. man of law , out of law metodes, angry, charming, in a non - stop revenve, more hunter than cop, it is one of beautiful characters from a large and noble family. from music to plot, from action scenes to romanticism, an impecable serie. and a great hero.
    As it progresses, you'll see many typical cliches about cops and justice system and corruption in Los Angeles, but It still will compel you to watch. One thing that keeps happening, DeeDee keeps picking the most corrupt District attorney/prosecutors who only care about career and prosecuting anybody, even innocent people. It's very obvious to me when I see Her two ex boyfriends, but lawyers. But why can't She see these obvious corrupt and greedy and spineless traits? Is Her character oblivious to the obvious or is She supposed to be dumb regarding dating? Both males She picked were exposed as being either very power hungry and/or very corrupt in ignoring the truth and just prosecuting anybody. I'm disappointed in Her for picking these cowardly males who have no integrity and should never be alllwed to practice law, let alone prosecute, as they keep prosecuting innocent people. That specific detail aside, the show is great. It makes me see some of what LAPD goes through. Oh! Another thing, How does LAPD have jurisdiction in some of the places that are outskirts of Los Angeles county? They get cases outside of la county and it doesn't make sense. Maybe jurisdiction didn't matter back then, but I saw at least 3 episodes where it made no sense that they were investigating cases outside of L A county. Anyway, I pay attention to details. Good show.
  • i didnt get to see the movie when it was shown in sept of 1984,and i wish i could have.i did get to watch the tv series of hunter when it was on, and i still get to watch it on tbs in reruns.i really enjoy watching it.fred dryer,stepfanie kramer and the rest of the cast were great.they did a tremendous job of acting.i'm glad we had such a great show to watch.
  • Never watched this until recent run on MeTV. This is a great show with top chenistry between the leads and inventive plots.
  • Just recently finished revisiting this show on DVD, i say revisiting, what i actually meant was watching the whole seven seasons on the all inclusive box set.

To set the picture, i had only seen upto the end of season two back in 87/88 when the ITV here in the UK suddenly decided that they didn't like American action/drama shows anymore and stopped showing them or shuffled them off to the wee hours of post midnight television. A few episodes of season three did pop up sporadically and then it went over to SKY TV for its seventh and final season.

This was the turning point where ITV and i parted company, gone were the days of The A team, Knight Rider, The Fall Guy, Airwolf, TJ Hooker, The Greatest American Hero, The Equalizer etc and of course, Hunter. In came shows with all the entertainment value of picking your nose and on it goes to this day with X factor, anyway, Hunter.

Now i've finally seen all the episodes, i can say that Hunter has to be one of the all time great American cop shows, what started, admittedly as a "homage" to the Dirty Harry movies, fought through that to establish its own relevant and unique persona.

Yes, the action was toned down post season two, but after watching the entire run now, it seems clear that this move is what guaranteed the show its seven season run, if it had relied on purely shoot outs and car flips, it would have folded much sooner.

It became more layered as it progressed, the characters became more three dimensional and even "issues" were tackled within the story lines. Effort such as this, at that time, is the beginning of the evolution to the cop shows of today, to move beyond being subservient to property destruction.

That said, the new Hawaii Five 0 seems to be back in this old vein and Justified is very much "old school" in its approach and consequently both a firm faves of mine.

Fred Dryer, considering he was a professional sportsman at the beginning of his career, managed to take Rick Hunter beyond being just an imposing presence against the scum he had to deal with and made him laconic, witty and even warmly human on occasion. Likewise Stepfanie Kramer, over the course of the shows run, made Dee Dee McCall a fully formed, professional law enforcement officer.

As with Hunter's character, it was revealed she had thoughts and feelings and was far more than just an attractive foil to Hunter and could crack skulls just as well as he could. Again, these efforts made at that time are what has helped to round out the TV tecs of today.

In summation, i was truly surprised and impressed by Hunter when i finally got to see all of them recently, yes a few episodes go clunk, but the ones that really work easily surpass them.

I recommend this show unreservedly, if you like good cop shows, you'll like this.
  • 'Hunter' was a great show, for the first 5 seasons, despite having several cast changes throughout the course of its 7 year run, the chemistry between the two lead characters was perfect. The relationship between Hunter and McCall made you believe that BOTH of them really had the hots for one another! You wanted to see some of the sizzle but (to my knowledge) it never happened either on the show or during their personal lives either. Had it happened it would NOT have been the worst pairing in Hollywood.

Of course, Stepfanie Kramer, a beautiful, sexy cream-puff of a girl, portrays Hunter's partner Dee Dee. The woman was so gorgeous, so soft, so feminine, that it was often comical watching her play a hard-nosed police officer... even when she was shooting at bad guys (and hitting them) you had an irresistible urge to hug and squeeze her. Ms. Kramer evidently tried to counter her natural lovable squishiness by POINTING at things or suspects when she was trying to express real anger or determination. She even pointed fellow officers, pictures in a file folder, etc. After she quit the show in early 1990 Dryer (the star and executive producer) continued right along with at least 3 different female partners whose names or character names are totally forgotten...as were their performances in the show... and those episodes just dragged along for me.

I still watch them on a local cable channel almost 5 evenings a week even though I tune out if it is one of the 20 or so episodes near the end of the series that Stepfanie Kramer was not co-starring in. Dryer just could have never made the show a network hit without Kramer! Her nickname "the brass cupcake" truly fit the talent she brought to the program.

If she had continued working they could have had at least another 5 years on network TV! This was a great show when it first aired in the 80's and it still is a great show in reruns. It says something about a crime drama series when it is still being aired on television 21 years after its original premiere date.
  • Rugged anti-hero/loose cannon Los Angeles cop Sgt. Rick Hunter (Fred Dryer) didn't get into law enforcement for the meagre paycheck, or the long hours or the instability in his relationships, or the constant threat of death. He got into it because there are some bad guys out there who need to get taken down hard and he is just the bucko ta do it! Hunter's original arrangement with partner Dee Dee McCall (A trigger-happy, Lynda Carter lookalike referred to as "The Brass Cupcake" by her more sexist colleagues) was that they would be partners in name only .

Since neither could keep a partner and they both worked better on their own the arrangement appeared to make sense. They would sign each other's reports and vouch for one another conducting investigations separately.

But each brought out the best in the other making inroads into crime heightening the danger with their very progress. They would come to need each other's presence up until they acknowledged they really were partners.

There was big money in the vigilante cop formula and Hunter which ran for 152 episodes didn't disappoint giving audiences their fix of gritty cop show action. Hunter was essentially "Dirty Harry for TV" and was cast with ex-pro football player Fred Dryer who sort of resembled Clint Eastwood though unlike Eastwood Dryer couldn't act and was balding even more rapidly than Eastwood.

Dryer actually appeared to be affecting an impression of Eastwwod with an angry glare and clenched teeth sneering his lines early in the series. Hunter had the same trigger-happy gunslinger attitude as Dirty Harry and the familiar difficulty dealing with a police bureaucracy obsessed with public relations, red tape and prospects for career advancement.

Hunter also famously had a habit of physically abusing suspects of African-American, Asian and Latino persuasion. Hunter's partner Dee Dee McCall often came close to being raped and murdered on a show which narrowly avoided being classified as the most violent on network TV simply because Miami Vice and the A-Team (NBC took over from ABC as the network with the most violent programming) were still on the air. Think of all of that what you will.

Very little of what was shown in the murder mysteries was all that complicated and the one-dimensional characters never challenged audiences much. The quality of the production actually deteriorated as it went. There was never an examination of light and shade in the characters. There was not the slightest hint of moral subjectivity in the performances. There was merely good destroying evil.

The Hunter character was much like those portrayed by John Wayne or Randolph Scott in Westerns; One who exerts brute force in the same way a bullying thug might but is insulated by his own righteousness. It is of little challenge to an actor and as such Dryer was much more effective early in the series when he was not called upon to emote on camera.

Reviews of this show at the time it came out were almost uniformly negative. Nobody liked this show...With the exception of the actual public.
  • This has to be one of the best cop shows of all time. Hunter (Dryer) and McCall (Kramer) have a chemistry that cannot be matched (unlike Law and Order, Jerry Orbach have several different partners). The car chases, crashes, shootouts, fights, etc... are great. Hunter's car in the show is cool! It, like Hunter, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Unfortunately, the show took a downturn after McCall left and I discontinued watching at that point. Also, Hunter wearing a police uniform instead of his usual casual clothes turned me off. He was also driving a Crown Victoria issued by the LA police instead of that big green land-barge of his. Needless to say, the final seasons (post mid-1990) left a lot to be desired.

Of all the characters, I have to say captain Charlie Devane (Charles Hallahan) was the worst. I disliked his attitude. He thinks of himself as "cool" but he is just a fat, lazy, and ugly middle aged man. I also disliked Sporty James (Garret Morris). I don't know what it was, but I just despised the guy! It could of been his "pimp" attitude. He sucked. My favorites were of course Hunter and McCall. Hunter kicked the butts of many crime-doers in Los Angeles (being a former NFL player, he can do this without even trying hard!), and McCall stunned everybody with her beauty (I happen to think she is VERY beautiful!) and her toughness from that little body of hers. The women that followed McCall (Molenski, Novak (Lauren Lane)) were very unattractive and useless as police officers.

Overall, I liked the show from the 1984-1990 seasons (Kramer's tenure) although TBS does jumble the episode order, especially the 84-85 season. If there were no Charles Hallahan character or Sporty James character, and McCall never left, the show could have lasted alot longer easily.
  • Hunter was a great fun action cop show with Fred Dryer and Stephanie Kramer. It was produced in the mid-eighties so none of that politically correct garbage and in fact being PC was made fun of in the form of one of the internal affairs officer who always had a corn cob up his rear end and gave Hunter a hard time for not following procedures.

There is always a little sexual tension between Hunter and DD, as she was a very attractive lady, and their banter back and forth and insults to each other made the show. In the last two seasons they remove that sexual tension, first with an attractive officer who did not have a strong personality in the six season and no witty banter with Hunter. The 7th season saw a partner officer who looked more like an anorexic man than a woman and there was no sexual tension and no innuendo banter at all. So the lack of chemistry between Hunter and his female partner in the 6th and 7th seasons is what really killed Hunter. Watch the first five seasons throw out the rest ;-)
  • i was young when i watched the series. and Hunter is tall, strong, humorous, and clever. he kicked the bad out of the city. so i think it is one of the best cop show i have seen. but i think the stories are a kind of too easy, which made it less attractive.
  • Bolesroor26 April 2005
    "Hunter" was a TV series so predictable, so banal, so obvious that you've already seen every episode. It isn't hard to imagine the meetings that went into the creation of this show: "How about a Dirty Harry for the small-screen... with a beautiful babe as his partner?" "Works for me." When pro-football player Fred Dryer retired and took up a career in acting, he displayed a remarkable gift, rare for even lifelong professional actors... he had a flare for comedy. He was so funny, in fact, that he came *this* close to getting the role of Sam Malone in Cheers... even when it went to Ted Danson the producers had Dryer on numerous times in guest-appearances that became classics. The bold move for him and his agent would have been to find or create a TV series that put his talents to use, a show that highlighted his tough-guy/teddy-bear persona. Instead Fred copped out.

"Hunter" was the cop show that defined the whole genre of bad 80's cop-shows... a rebel detective that exacts his own brand of justice, a loose cannon who fights with the chief and carries a gun so big it belongs on a battleship. Dryer allowed his uncanny resemblance to Clint Eastwood to be exploited in a mindless show that can best be described as "filler." See him squint and fire a warning shot... watch him cuff a street punk so he can get a lead on who killed a hooker... Wasted was a man capable of delivering a punchline, playing a romantic lead, or exposing the sensitivity beneath the rough exterior. Instead we get a walking cliché, complete with his own "Make-my-day" catchphrase: "Works for me."

Stepfanie Kramer, a beautiful cream-puff of a girl, portrays Hunter's partner Dee Dee. The woman was so gorgeous, so soft, so feminine, that it was often comical watching her play a police officer... even when she was shooting at bad guys you had an irresistible urge to hug her. Kramer evidently tried to counter her natural squishiness by POINTING at things when she was trying to express anger or determination. She pointed at suspects, fellow officers, guns... we still loved her.

This is not to say the show itself is terrible. Dryer is good in the lead, but only good. He shares a wonderful chemistry with the stunning Kramer, and most episodes are decent and watchable. A great TV show, however, needs more than a passing grade. I'm only passionate about Hunter because I feel Fred Dryer was capable of so much more... instead of a classic sitcom that challenged a gifted actor (or even a cop show that redefined the genre), we're stuck with seven seasons of sirens, silencers and shootouts. Most people don't even remember the show or the actors, and there's a reason for that. "Hunter" spoiled the career of Fred Dryer, and that does not work for me.
  • In 1984, "Hunter" got off to an explosive start, with producer Stephen J. Cannell and creator Frank Lupo taking the Dirty Harry concept way over the top. Fred Dryer starred as Rick Hunter, a Los Angeles cop hated by his superiors both for his shoot-first-ask-questions-later methods and for his family ties to the mob. Stepfanie Kramer played Dee Dee McCall, the only other cop on the force with an equally aggressive approach; she also had a flair for disguise which was often helpful. Together, they took down every form of sleaze under the California sun: psychos, drug-dealers, pimps, corrupt politicians, often in a hailstorm of bullets punctuated by car crashes and explosions; and they made no apologies, because they knew that there was no other way to have justice in a scummy world. With the outstanding production values typical to Cannell shows, and with Dryer and Kramer's considerable chemistry, the results were white-hot.

Unfortunately, after the show was renewed for a second season, Cannell found himself juggling too many shows at once, and brought in his mentor, veteran producer Roy Huggins, to take over the reins. The results were depressing: out went the sleaze, out went Hunter's mob ties, out went the fights with the superiors, out went most of the action. Instead, we got the usual boring upscale L.A. locations, we got slower, "socially relevant" stories, and Hunter and McCall suddenly had vulnerabilities. That last change was especially annoying to me, because the unstoppable dealer (in this case, dealers) of justice is a true icon which Cannell, with his love for classic hard-boiled detective fiction, understood perfectly.

The series went on to run for a total of eight years, but it was never again as good as when it started. For a brief, bright moment, it was the closest thing to TRUE pulp fiction seen in American live action entertainment from the second half of the 20th century.
    I loved this show when I was in high school. Hunter was a kick-ass, take-no-prisoners kind of cop, even in the first 3 seasons where only a few suspects were actually killed when confronted by Hunter & McCall. In the last few seasons more and more of the suspects Hunter tried to arrest for murder pulled weapons on him and ended up dead. That made it a little tiresome although I never tired of seeing Hunter confront criminals.

The idiotic, bleeding-heart approach to law enforcement - especially the 'warning-shot' policy issued by Hunter's captain (Michael Cavanaugh) in the pilot episode - really annoyed me in the first two seasons. John Amos was somewhat likable as Hunter's captain save for his hatred of Hunter's methods and what seemed to be his personal mission to get rid of Hunter. The character of Sgt. Terwillegar (James Whitmore, Jr) was as dumb as they come; a blustering buffoon who appeared more suited to teaching at a university than as a homicide detective. Commander Cain (Arthur Rosenberg) was even more loathsome; he was a man who was a politician first and a policeman second. Captain Devane (the late Charles Hallahan) was probably the most likable of all of their superiors, though he was a strictly by-the-book cop. Some of Hunter's earlier superiors reminded me of Dirty Harry's superior, Captain Briggs (Bradford Dillman of 'The Enforcer & 'Sudden Impact') who was on a single-minded crusade to get rid of Harry.

Most of the stories centered around Hunter & McCall's cases - usually homicides; one episode that made my skin crawl was one that appeared in Season 2 where McCall is raped by the son or a foreign diplomat, who then insists his psychopathic son is a saint and shields his son from answering for his criminal behavior behind diplomatic immunity. That particular one made me sick. I am hoping that Seasons 3 & 4 will be released on DVD - these were the ones that I thought were the best times for the show. Captain Devane was in charge, Hunter & McCall were strictly working homicides, and there was no subplot about the nefarious plans of Hunter's superiors to can him - except in a couple of episodes featuring Cmdr. Cain (Rosenberg).

Bring on Seasons 3 & 4!!