User Reviews (111)

• "Cat's Eye" is another horror anthology movie that I found to be a nice companion piece with "Twilight Zone: The Movie". The thing that surprised me about this film is that it's a suspense comedy loaded with thrills galore and dark humor. Instead of four separate tales, "Cat's Eye" has just three, with a plucky tabby cat intervening through all three stories. And all three segments are directed by the same man (Lewis Teague). Stephen King wrote all three segments, with the first two segments based on short stories written by King. The first segment is a black comedy starring James Woods in some of the funniest acting that he's ever done as a man who wants to quit smoking. He goes to a place called Quitters, Inc. This clinic is run by a most unusual doctor played by comedian Alan King. Woods finds out quickly that their methods of trying to make smokers quit are odd. Very, very odd. This story isn't really scary but it's downright hilarious with Woods trying desperately to kick the habit. King is also very funny as the doc. This is a very good segment. But my favorite segment of "Cat's Eye" is the second one. The late Kenneth McMillan stars as a ruthless gambler who kidnaps a tennis player (Robert Hays from "Airplane!") who's been doing a little you-know-what on his wife. McMillan makes a strange bet with the tennis pro: walk on top of a short ledge around the gambler's high rise building 50-60 stories up. This segment is a scary one, with a few touches of black humor (even though this segment isn't as funny as the first one). King wrote the third segment directly for the screen. He wrote it for a then very young pre-teen Drew Barrymore (who a year earlier starred in King's "Firestarter"). Barrymore plays a little girl who takes that tabby cat in to live with her after the cat runs into her house. The reason why the cat ran into her house: kitty spotted a little tiny gremlin strolling into the place. The cat comes in and tries to save the day. This segment is silly but fun. All in all, "Cat's Eye" is an underrated gem. Funny, scary, and entertaining.

*** (out of four)
  • Stephen King adapted two of his short stories and wrote the third into this screenplay of suspense. The first story concerns a man (James Woods) trying to quit smoking by signing up for a clinic. That clinic just happens to be run by the mafia and they literally mean quit smoking with a seriously tough employee (Alan King) behind it. Even if it means tampering with your family's lives. The second concerns an again tennis pro (Robert Hays) who takes on the game of his life after having an affair with a mobster who is a gambling addict. The third follows a cat trying to protect a little girl whose being terrorised by a little demon jester. The suspense is good. Alan King is very good as the seriously tough employee and Woods is always good.

The second is very good with a surprising twist at the end and the third is a take on of old fairy tales where good triumphs over evil.
  • One of Stephen King's greatest stories in My opinion turned into a live feature film is Cat's Eye! The film has three very interesting stories with some good actors including James Woods, Alan King, Kenneth McMillan, Robert Hays, Candy Clark, James Naughton, Drew Barrymore, Mike Starr, and Charles Dutton! The acting by all of these actors are very good. The stories as I mention are very good and funny in a way though the film is serious. Quitter's Inc is a unique story, The Ledge is arguably the best of the lot but My favorite one is The General. I love the little demon. He is so cute and mean looking at the same time and I am amazed how real looks! Carlo Rambaldi did an excellent job! The music by Alan Silvestri is great! If you like the cast mentioned above and love Stephen King then I strongly recommend Cat's Eye!
  • Lewis Teague's "Cat's Eye" contains three wry,humorous and creepy stories linked to the cat which roams from one tale to the next.First up there is my personal favourite "Quitters Inc.",the story of family man Mr Morrison(James Woods)who goes to a very unconventional place to help people quit smoking and has his life turned into a living hell.Secondly,there is "The Ledge",the tale of a washed-up tennis player who is forced to walk around the ledge of a hotel by a rich mobster after the tennis player steals his wife.And finally there is "The General",which involves a cat saving a little girl(Drew Barrymore)from a tiny goblin that comes in the night to take children's souls.The three stories are linked together by a cat that traverses from New York to Atlantic City to North Carolina."Cat's Eye" is more comic than horrifying.Still I enjoyed it very immensely and you should too,if you are a fan of Stephen King and his works.8 out of 10.
  • An adaption of three of Stephen King's short stories, the linking theme being a cat whose purpose later becomes apparent. The first story, 'Quitters Inc' (from the book 'Night Shift') involves the titular company who will go to extreme lengths to ensure their clients quit the weed. 'The Ledge' (also from 'Night Shift') concerns a risky walk around a tall building. Both these stories are entertaining and filled with excellent humor and strong characters.

By comparison the third story, which is the climax to the whole thing, is pretty slow and dull, the only real humor being provided by a miniature troll-like creature. But this anthology is worth seeing for the first two stories alone, which are masterpieces.
  • Cat's Eye (1985) was another film that was based upon the written work of Stephen King. Two of the three stories were taken form the short story collection NIGHT SHIFT. The movie is actually a decent watch and fans of the original source material will enjoy it as well as the average fan. An added bonus is the fact that the man himself wrote the screenplay!!

The movie is about a cat that has many adventures. Along it's way, an image of a girl keeps the cat going to it's destination. Along the way, he meets a man who has a smoking problem who'll go to great lengths to try and snuff his habit and the other is a broken down tennis player who's given a chance to redeem himself by completing a simple task. The cat's final destination is a girl who's tormented by a nasty little dude. WIll the cat affect those that cross it's past? What is that little dude that lives in the hole in the wall? All answers will be answered when you watch CAT"S EYE!

A good adaptation and a nice film. The only thing I didn't like was the silliness of the last episode. Some of the events in the final chapter come off as very contrived and clichéd. Other than that I had no problems. An enjoyable movie.

Recommended.
    Although I haven't seen all of Stephen King's films I have seen Pet Cemetery, Cat's Eye, Cujo, It, Carrie, Silver Bullet and The Dead Zone and all of these are great movies but Cat's Eye is my favorite so far.

Cat's Eye is a perfect example of a thriller and comedy flawlessly intertwined. The humor is great because it's deadpan therefore it doesn't take away from the suspense of the story at all. This movie is actually three mini-movies all in one and all three are events which the cat either witnessed or experienced.

This has very memorable characters and excellent acting by Alan King, James Woods, and a very young Drew Barrymore.

Vote: 10 (Excellent)
    "Cat's Eye" is one of the better horror anthologies of the 1980s, mainly because there are no weak links among its three stories - they are all on about the same level. The first one, about a drastic way to quit smoking, may be the most memorable and nightmarish one (with a terrific performance by James Woods), but the second one, about a (literally) high-stakes bet, is also well-done, and the third, about a troll who lives inside the wall of a little girl's room, may be slightly too long, but it boasts impressive special effects by the prolific Carlo Rambaldi. The film also features what must be the BEST performance by a cat I have ever seen in any film. I don't how they made him (her? them?) obey their instructions so well, but it feels like watching just another professional actor! Be warned that there is a disturbing scene of animal cruelty at the start, but the cat does emerge as a classical movie hero by the end. A pretty good cocktail of horror and humor - and see how many Stephen King "inside joke" references you can spot! **1/2 out of 4.
  • A trilogy of entertaining black humor. The first story is the strongest with the best stars. Alan King is deliciously evil as the head of Quitters, Inc., an anti-smoking group that uses mob tactics to stop its members from smoking. James Woods is excellent as Alan King's newest client.

The middle story is somewhat weaker entry starring Kenneth McMillan as a mobster who makes a lethal bet with Robert Hays after Hays steals his wife from him. A good story but not as good as the first.

The last story is the weakest entry of the three. An evil troll is out to steal Drew Barrymore's breath in this silly story. Our title cat tries to prevent that. The special effects for the troll doll are pretty good and the ending is funny. All-in-all an entertaining entry in the Stephen King collection of movies. A C+/B-
  • A stray cat witnesses weird and suspenseful events in three different cities.

In New York, Richard Morris (James Wood) is convinced by a friend to look for the support of the Quitter's Inc. to stop smoking. The unconventional and efficient procedure followed by the company terrifies Richard.

In Atlantic City, a powerful professional gambler, Cressner (Kenneth McMillan), makes a mortal bet with the tennis teacher and lover of his wife, Johnny Norris (Robert Hays).

In Wilmington, NC, a troll, living inside the wall of the bedroom, threatens the ten years old girl Amanda (Drew Barrymore).

These three tales are gems of the black humor, combining elements of suspense, comedy and horror. The first tale is very funny, with the situation where James Wood gets through without previous warning. The second tale is pure suspense, having some funny moments, and is certainly the darker story. And the last one shows a very sweet ten years old Drew Barrymore. The movement of camera in some moments recalls "Evil Dead". "Cat's Eye" is a great entertainment. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Olhos de Gato" ("Cat's Eyes")
  • Cat's Eye is a great collection of short stories that despite failing to be scary, is still a lot of fun. It's weird, surreal and extremely funny. Each of the three short stories are unique and original and explore some very creepy things. It's well paced with great direction from Lewis Teague. All the performances are really good but James Woods and Drew Barrymore are especially great. The music by Alan Silvestri is amazing.
  • "Cat's Eye" is a well-done anthology of three horror stories scripted by Stephen King, joined together by the presence of an adorable gray tabby. The first tale has James Woods enlisting in a mafia-run quit-smoking program (headed by a deliciously hammy Alan King); the second creates ample suspense as a washed-up tennis pro (Robert Hays) is made to climb alongside a downtown highrise at the whim of a demented gambler (Kenneth McMillan); and the third has our heroic tabby battling a troll that's stealing little Drew Barrymore's breath, in a segment that's actually quite amusing. As the PG-13 rating implies, the usual extremes of King's fiction are toned-down or removed (although there are a few vicious moments, including a briefly-seen severed head), but the film doesn't suffer from it, and actually gives the more lighthearted, humorous elements a chance to shine. Definitely worth a look.

I don't consider this be a horror movie. Too be completely honest, I see this more like a comedy. At moments, I thought that it was some sort of parody of the stories written by Stephen King.

"Quitters, Inc." was the most absurd and random of the three stories. (I mean, even if the Clinic counselor is with the mafia, all what he did just to make one character stop smoking is unnecessarily complicated. What does he had to win anyway doing all that? And at end, why Dick Morrison still acts friendly towards the same counselor, as if nothing had happened?)

Everything was so cheesy and over the top in that part of the movie, but that's the main reason of why it was so funny to watch. I can even picture "Quitters, Inc." as being the plot of one South Park episode due the absurdity of it.

The second story, "The Ledge", was the most boring one. It had a couple of funny moments, but I found it to be completely forgettable for most part.

The third story, "General" was the most interesting one, without being so cheesy as "Quitters, Inc." Even when it could be seen as something dated by modern viewers, I think it is still worth-watching. I liked the idea of one cat being the hero of the story, opposed to the tired cliché of the "evil cat", which became so common in cartoons and horror films. The Troll character reminded me of the movie "Gremlins", and yet, I think that it was one of the most interesting characters from this film, which were mostly stereotypes.

"Cat's Eye" without being a masterpiece, at least provides a decent amount of entertainment value that other "horror" movies lack, specially those that take themselves way too seriously to the point of being pretentious.
  • A movie divided into three parts, each separate story linked by the passage of a cat through it. The first two parts (Quitters' Incorporated and The Ledge) are well done adaptations of two short stories that are amongst Stephen King's best writing. Admittedly, they read better (you can find them both in the Night Shift collection) because a lot has to do with what the characters are thinking, which you can't really do on screen. However, they come about as close as possible here. The third part of the movie, I think is written specifically for the movie and wraps things up nicely. Well worth seeing.
  • In this film, based on short stories by Stephen King, three stories intertwine through the same cat. The idea seems good and, in fact, its an interesting way to bring to the cinema stories that, alone, don't justify a feature length. The big problem with the film is that it doesn't immediately make clear that we're seeing a black humor movie. The public fills the theater expecting a horror film or a thriller and leaves very disappointed. It's one of those cases where they expects one thing and the movie is something different. Its the fault of the public? Partly yes. But let us go on. The film is divided into three parts but the cat has increased protagonism in the last. James Woods and Drew Barrymore (still making adorable child roles) are the most notorious actors, playing quite satisfactorily. You can never clearly tell what force pushes the cat through the film until find the girl and that is the biggest flaw in the movie for me. The film never scares us but it has a number of rather comical scenes that can impress the most sensitive people, given the kind of humor presented.
  • encyes6 December 2016
    One of the more famous anthologies and Stephen King movies, this is well-known primarily for its appearances by a young James Woods and an even younger Drew Barrymore. With a screenplay by King, it hosts three decent stories, all linked together by a rogue but supernatural cat, a sort of feline protector. Most notably of the three tales is the first: "Quitters, Inc." which has the best ending this side of a Rod Serling Twilight Zone episode. This is a fun movie. King's other movies ("Cujo", "Christine"), are sprinkled in as cameos, many which will leave you giggling along with King's playful nods to himself ("I don't know who writes this crap" as James Woods watches "The Dead Zone"), ("St Stephen's School for the Exceptionally Gifted"). It's better than I expected and better than a majority of horror anthologies out there especially for the time period. The effects - primary used for the third and final episode which has a more mystical spin on it than the previous two - are pretty good considering its the 1980s. The stories are simplistic, creative and effective. If you can sit back and deal with the 80s music and culture (does anyone remember the cassette tape?) you'll have a good time with this well filmed feature.
  • Prismark1012 August 2019
    Stephen King goes to the Twilight Zone in this anthology all connected to a cat who is looking for a distressed girl.

In fact the first two stories could easily sit alongside Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Director Lewis Teague is just the right director for this type of movie. A graduate of Roger Corman's school of filmmaking and he had done an episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

The first story has James Woods who tries to stop smoking. He visits a company that will make him stop or his loved one will suffer. He demonstrates it by electruciting the floor of a room which the cat is in.

Woods is tempted to smoke knowing he might put his wife in danger. It is blackly humorous and he realises once you stop smoking, do not put on weight.

The second story involves a casino boss who makes a bet with his wife's lover, Robert Hays. If Hays manages to walk around the thin ledge of a high rise building he can have his wife, if he does not Hays will be framed for dealing in drugs which has been planted in his car.

As Hays walks around the ledge the casino boss keeps things interesting by trying to put him off. However Hays gets an opportunity to the turn the tables.

The final story features Drew Barrymore as the troubled girl calling out to the cat. At night she is pestered by a malevolent troll who tries to steal her breath, the cat arrives to do battle with the troll.

Teague makes reference to other Stephen King adaptations. We see Cujo and Christine make Hitchcock type appearances and even the The Dead Zone is shown playing on television.

The first two stories are very effective in a twisted humorous way. The final story feels too long and seems more aimed at kids in a Grimm fairytale type of way.
    Cat's Eye As 3 Acts, 1's About Smoking & Stalkers, 2's Cheating & Bets, 3's About Monsters & The Misunderstood Cat. The Acts 1 & 2 Show The Darkest Side To Our Society: Cheating, Smoking, Crepes, Revenge, Double Crossings Est. & Act 3 Show's An Innocent Family & It Turn Into a Monster Film. The Movie More Whimsical Than Movies Like Cujo & IT. It Also Has Great Dark Humor But Is Still Tasteful. It's a Unique, Well Made, And Obviously Had a Lot Of Care & Time Put Into It. A Great, Dark, Twisted Movie.
  • The Cat's Eye is an analogy of three stories of suspense and horror that are all linked to a stray cat.

The first two stories deal mostly with mad doctors and criminals, with the cat only loosely connected to the people involved in the tales. However, the cat takes on a larger role in the third story, which stars Drew Barrymore playing a young girl being endangered by a menacing troll.

This film is not terribly horrific or frightening, but there are some suspenseful, edgy and creepy moments - especially like the part where Robert Hays' character is forced to walk on a high ledge around a building. Mixed in are some dark humor and lighthearted moments, and some funny acting.

Not the greatest horror movie out there, but it's still rather entertaining.

Grade B-
    This movie is a great movie for those of you who like movies that have suspense, twisted humor, without being too scary to watch at night. I truly loved this movie, and I even convinced my whole family to watch it (even my sister, and that's saying something).

This movie is in three parts, the first two of which are short stories in Steven King's Night Shift, the third being entirely new. Below I described the three parts in brief summaries, only telling up to what the General is aware of. But there are still plenty of spoilers, so be careful reading it.

Prolouge- We see a lone cat, known only as 'The General', wandering the streets. After being chased by a dog (Cujo), and nearly hit by a car (Christine), he winds up on his way to New York City.

Part One- A man called Richard Morrisson is on his way to an agency called 'Quitters Incorporated', to try and quit smoking. The General is on his way to the same place after being captured by a man from the company. The General is used as an example of the 'treatment' they use at Quitters Inc. Later, General escapes, inadvertently caused by Richard.

Part Two- An old rich man known as Cressner is on his way home after visiting the casinos. After helping the General get through heavy traffic, he brings him home, where the cat sees an unusual sight. Cressner placed a wager with Johnny Norris, an aging tennis pro who is having an affair with his wide. Norris has to walk the 5-inch ledge along the top of the hotel Cressner lives. After managing to do so, the General helps him out, and at the same time escapes.

*HUGE SPOILERS* Part Three- The General arrives in a house where a little girl called Amanda lives. After much pleading, her parents let her keep the cat. Two nights later, as the General is put out for the night, a troll emerges from Amanda's bedroom wall. This little demon first kills Polly, Amanda's parakeet, then tries to steal Amanda's breath. Fortunately, the General gets back inside and keeps the troll from succeeding. Unfortunately, he wakes Amanda's parents, who believe the General killed Polly. Amanda's mom bring him to the pound after the rest of the family leaves for work and school. That night, the troll comes back, and so does the General. After fighting, the General successfully kills the troll. This time, the parents see what's left of the troll, and let Amanda keep General.
  • Three short stories by Stephen King, connected somewhat half-heartedly by having a cat appear in each of them. Only in the last episode, the cat is really important, in the others it is introduced arbitrarily. As I read, there has been a prologue to the film that gives the third episode more substance, more sense, as there usually is in Stephen King's horror stories, but the prologue was cut out by a producer. That's a pity because the General episode is really poor this way.

The other two are not quite frightening either, but they are nice, based on fine, little insane ideas, but I like such plots. The stories are not world-shattering like some others by King, but they are likeable and creative. This is the right movie to watch at Sunday night, not too early and not too late.
  • Stephen King's short stories have garnered him almost as much acclaim as his novels, and they have proved to be just as easily adaptable for the screen ("Stand By Me", "The Shawshank Redemption"); "Cat's Eye" is the exception. King himself expanded two of his early stories (from the collection "Night Shift") and introduces a new addition to form this weak anthology of shuddery tales linked by a rather boring feline. The most telling sign of the picture's failure is that none of these tales would succeed as their own feature-length production (there's not enough meat on their bones). Everything about "Cat's Eye" seems like leftover goods (from either 1982's "Creepshow", written by King, or 1983's "Twilight Zone The Movie"), which is surprising considering how mindful King is of his devoted fan base. No one involved in the production looks as if they had any hope for its success. There's no promise in Lewis Teague's direction and no surprises from a rather weary cast of second-drawer talents. NO STARS from ****
  • Although the logline says three tales are linked by a cat, this is in fact not true. There is no link. The cat simply walks out of a segment and into the next, but it could have been any cat. There's nothing significant about the cat.

Interesting, note how the dog in the beginning of the movie looks exactly like the rabid dog in 'Cujo', almost as if it was shot at the same time. (Same director, as well...). The first segment is an absurd idea about quitting smoking. Oh, c'mon, this was total crap, about a guy going to a company to help him stop smoking. This company, however, is so sadistic and evil, nothing they do is legal or believable. There was nothing interesting here for me - especially as a non-smoker.

The second segment is mainly about a guy walking on a ledge. There's nothing interesting here either. There's a bit of a back story, but it literally is about a guy walking around a building on a ledge. It's stupid. What the hell were you thinking, Mr King, writer's block??

The third segment was the best, but its not really saying much. The cat plays the biggest part here, as it protects a little girl from a troll visiting her at night. Oh, whatever...

Would I watch it again? No.
  • Very uneven storytelling but it was fun. Good use of black comedy and horror materials from Stephen King's works... Though I thought the bollywood movie 'No Smoking' based on the first story Quitters inc. was more arranged and frightening. The second story was best of the lot and the third one was though very childish but enjoyable because of an adorable child Drew Barrymore... It is a fun watch and no doubt the Cat is the star performer of the whole film...
  • The film consists of three stories linked together by a cat as he survives in the big city on a quest to find a little girl who is in danger.

As he searches, the cat has minor input in the first two stories. The first story sees an addictive smoker (James Woods) forced to find a cure for his habit or see his wife face the consequence. Safe and quirky segment backed up by the always watchable Woods on form. The second, and weakest segment, has a wife's lover (Robert Hays) forced by her jealous husband to play a deadly game on the ledge of a tall building. The rewards for survival are obvious, as is the downside. Can he turn the tables you wonder? It's with the final segment that Cat's Eye lifts itself out of mediocrity with a terrifying tale of a child under threat from a troll like demon who intends to steal her breath. Called "The General" {the cat's name given by Drew Barrymore's under threat child} it plays on some very basic fears and fables to really gnaw away at the senses.

Also notable for lots of King spot the reference points, Lewis Teague's film {King doing the screenplay obviously} arguably deserves a better standing in the horror pantheon than it actually has. It's true the first two stories barely raise a chill or even a giggle, and Alan Silvestri's score is horrendous and nearly ruins "The General" at its crucial cat/troll face off. While the effects now look tired and show up to be shoddy on new era technology TVs. But it's still an entertaining film with a pretty neat cast, and of course it gave the 80s one of its best and scariest creatures. 7/10