User Reviews (48)

• I am not sure why this one gets rated so bad and it seems that it never got any publicity, but the movie was good for what it was made to be. It is too absurd to be realistic and that just helps it. I've laughed so many times during it that really, i would recommend it.

Think of it as the naked gun series meets super troopers. It has certain priceless moments such as "the Doc" scenes which are guaranteed to make you fall on the floor.

It is not a serious movie and if you are looking for some deep story line, you won't find it (i feel the need to highlight that). Simple down to earth fun like only the 80s can deliver.

Don't bring popcorn, you might choke on it :)

• oceanave31 October 2005
    Not sure why John Murray didn't do more films - he definitely should have, and hopefully he will do some in the future. True, his acting style is similar to his older brother Bill's, but he's individual enough that he coulda made it big. "Moving Violations" is good. Not great, but it was pretty well directed and it's got its strengths. Actually, it made it into theaters only six months after it was written and filmed - if anything, I'd say that they should have gone back and rewritten and polished up a few things. The plot does get stretched a bit thin over the course of the movie...the best parts come in the beginning and middle. The ending is pretty limp and the whole Judge Henderson/Deputy Halik sexcapade and ensuing car chase sequence just gets boring with all the boffo antics. The character of Scott the Puppeteer, played by Brian Backer (Rat of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High") doesn't develop as well as it should have, and the chick who plays his love interest wasn't written well at all - BUT, Backer's star scene near the beginning with the puppet stage rolling down the hill is a total gut-buster. Despite these few problems, there are enough good gags and Murray definitely keeps the movie afloat. Jennifer Tilly is superb as Amy Hopkins the nimrod rocket scientist. James Keach, Wendie Jo Sperber (who had just done "Back to the Future"), Ned Eisenberg, and Nedra Volz all contribute a lot of positive energy, making "Moving Violations" one of those 'so bad, it's good' movies.
  • This is the funniest movie I have ever seen in my life. I have never laughed so hard at a movie in my life. The movie is so stupid that it is hilarious. The characters are unforgettable and they all fit in well together to make this movie so funny. The jokes in this movie are brilliant and the acting is excellent. This is the most underrated comedy and I recommend it to anyone who wants to have some good laughs. The old lady who can't see and the hypochondriac are probably the funniest characters but Dana is really funny also. I can recite most of this movie cause I have watched it over and over again. This movie is still funny no matter how many times you watch it.
  • Very hilarious! It's the only film I've ever known to have my mom laughing every 2 minutes less] while she watched. She was laughing so much, I had to stop what I was doing and go and see what was all the hubbub about. Even though it didn't receive great reviews, it's really entertaining. I like Dana's line after the car/bigrig collision -- "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going in their pants." Thanks :).
  • If you would like to wow your friends with a 1980s comedy that they probably have never heard of, then look no further than "Moving Violations". This movie has a cast of pedigreed comedians, including Fred Willard, Jennifer Tilly, and Sally Kerrerman. The lead goes to John Murray, brother of Bill Murray. His performance is far from unique, as it clearly mimics Bill Murray and John Belushi. In fact "Moving Violations" has certain scenes that seem to have been influenced by "Animal House, and "The Blues Brothers". Overlook these minor annoyances and be mesmerized by the rapid fire gags which make time fly by with maximum laughs. If you admire any of the above films or actors, this is a must see. - MERK
  • Soulpower213 May 2005
    One of the funniest movies i've ever seen. Laugh out loud funny.

The only way you wouldn't enjoy this movie is if you're some stuck up elitist prick who only likes movies with subtitles or lame crap that the Oscar's usually gush over.

If you actually have a sense of humor you will bust a gut while watching this movie, especially the big chase scene at the end.

Decent Cast with Jennifer Tilly, Stacy Keech, Sally Kellerman, Fred Willard and starring Bill Murray's brother!

Great 80's flick, if i had to compare it to another movie, i'd say Mark Harmon's 80's flick Summer School is kinda similar.
  • This movie is cheesy, but come on it's hysterical. Bill Murray's brother is a hoot, Keach is funny too as the over the top officer. The scene that tears me up every time I see it is when Murray gets Keach so upset in class he reaches for his gun, only to be stopped by his partner. That had me rollin! Take it for what it is, and lightin up!
  • Some of the supporting players get their laughs (the almost-blind old lady and the gore fan stand out). But John Murray is unfunny, unfunny, unfunny and unfunny. You WON'T wonder why he never got a starring vehicle again. As for the level of the humor, well, if the first exchange doesn't clue you in ("I got a promotion" - "Great, and I got my period"), then the second one surely will ("My doctor says I'm a hypochondriac. How can I be a hypochondriac when I'm sick all the time?"). Then again, what did you expect from the director of "Bachelor Party"? (*1/2)
    One of my all-time favorite movies as a kid, MOVING VIOLATIONS disappeared from video stores and has finally been released on DVD. I bought it yesterday for a steal (I seriously questioned my relationship with my husband when he asked if I really needed to buy it) and was happy to find I remembered not only the song (moving violations – lations, lations, lations, when you move!), but most of the lines, and Don Cheadle's performance as the drive-thru window employee. I won't divulge the plot, because 1) it is irrelevant, and 2) I couldn't do it justice.

The bunch of misfits sent to traffic school are all friendly faces of the 80s, largely siblings of more famous stars. This is Sally Kellerman's finest role since Hot Lips Hoolihan, Nedra Volz (LUST IN THE DUST with Divine, EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY, "Different Strokes") invented dirty little old lady humor, and where has Brian Backer gone? I always dug him in POLICE ACADEMY 4: CITIZENS ON PATROL, and FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH. How about Wendy Jo Sperber of "Bosom Buddies" and BACK TO THE FUTURE? Remember the days when Meg Tilly was hot stuff and Jennifer was just her bimbette sister? Also yukking it up is James Keach, who is Jane Seymour's husband, Stacy Keach's little brother, and surely Thomas Lennon's inspiration for "Reno 911"'s Lieutenant Dangle. And have we since seen a more bizarre sex scene than the clothes making out in NASA's no-gravity chamber? Also hilarious is John Murray (brother of Bill) who had me laughing non-stop. If you think the POLICE ACADEMY movies are the nadir of civilization, you may want to skip this one, but if you inexplicably love them, like I do, buy or rent this immediately.
  • After directing Tom Hanks in the comedy smash "Bachelor Party" the year before, Neal Israel would go to take on the traffic school comedy "Moving Violations" with the same fruity results. While I like "Bachelor Party" better, still it's not taking anything away from it, as it had loads of humorous instances consisting of visual gags and gaudy one-liners from a light-headed script. There are some misfires evident, but it's just too pleasant and how can you pass its catchy soundtrack.

After losing their licenses for repeated offences a group of drivers are sentenced to traffic school and their cars impounded, but their bitter driving instructors (once highly regarded officers) are making sure they won't easily pass.

It's the usual formula, as it has that chaotically nutty vein that flowed through "Police Academy (1984)". Sure it can be dumb and low-brow, but its mishap humour is enjoyably staged. Namely James Keach's uptight shtick as Deputy Halik was a complete hoot and an amusing Nedra Volz's blind as a bat turn as Mrs. Loretta Houk. The cast are committed to their misfit characters and made it more the merrier. A likable John Murray (brother of Bill) chips in with his self-knowing presence, throwing around snappy quips. When Keach and Murray came together is when it livened up. Jennifer Tilly keeps it perky and sincere in a role doesn't really ask a real lot from her. Brian Backer is in a usual dweeb role and a diverting Ned Eisenberg bloodshed happy turn is great (the sequence involving the class watching the tape; Blood flows red on the highway!" shows the slightly disturbing obsession). Which he's tagged obviously as a horror fan (referencing films like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Friday the 13th" films). Lisa Hart Carroll is marvellous as the cold-hearted deputy Virginia Morris and her cat-fight with Sally Kellerman's shrewish character is unforgettable. Also there's pleasurable support by Fred Willard, Wendie Jo Sperber, Willard E. Pugh and Nadine Van der Velde. Other familiar stars in nothing more than minor cameos are Don Cheadle and Dedee Pfeiffer.
    At the time this film was made (the 1980s), it was sometimes the case that a person might enjoy watching horror films. This cultural moment is crystallized in artistic permanence here by the character of Wink Barnes, played by Ned Eisenberg. In his many scenes, Mr. Barnes brings up the topic of horror films despite their inapplicability to the diaphanous and delicate plot of Moving Violations. On meeting a woman, he asks her about her own tastes in horror cinema. Being told that a classmate is anxious about his father's reaction to a dismaying contretemps, Wink advises watching a horror film. When Dana Cannon tells a largely pointless anecdote about violence in the Arab world, Wink arrives and announces that he, given his tastes for violence, would like to see such a thing. Asked to meet his friends socially, he arrives dressed as Jason Voorhees. Some sophisticated viewers might feel that they had come to sufficiently understand Wink's character at this point and would not need to see his schtick reiterated without elaboration any more. Such viewers are in for a surprise as Barnes appears again and again, sounding his one note each time.

Other fashions and political movements of the 1980s are similarly examined by the film (punk music, space exploration, perms), but none with the relentless jackhammer regularity of the mystifyingly dull jokes about Wink Barnes's taste in film.
  • Sammy7526 January 2001
    I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this movie. I have it on tape and watch it at least 3 times a week. I thought John Murray and the whole cast was hilarious!!! I loved his character--Dana Cannon. I hope I get the chance to meet him one day. It was a great performance of everyone in this funny movie!
  • I'll go on paper or on-line and say that Moving Violations is one of the most underrated comedies of all time. I don't think it is shown enough for one thing. I can name about 14 friends I have shown this to who have never heard of it, but were needing stitches from laughing afterwards.The movie focuses on a bunch of misfits who have to go to traffic school to get their licenses back. The leader of the group is Dana Cannon played by John Murray (Bill's brother) who displayed a fine comedic talent in his first film. His deadpan deliveries such as Woopsie,You kids have fun, Hey its not an ashtray,and when the tough get going the tough get going in their pants. Cannon and his friends give Halek, the teacher, hell throughout the course. Halek holds a personal grudge to Cannon because he's responsible for screwing up his promotion as a cop. There's even some love interest in the film. The puppeteer, the dieter, the horror movie-maniac, the "doc", the blind old lady all fill their parts very well. This movie has been criticized for being too much like Police Academy,but trust me its as funny. The one-liners are memorable and the gags are plenty. It took me forever to find this film to purchase, hopefully it won't take you as long to rent.
  • Otis-922 May 1999
    Good comedy starring John Murray (undoubtably Bill's brother) and Jennifer Tilly (you can't go wrong with her either, go see the ridiculously underrated comedy "Bride of Chucky" for more laughs). I've seen this movie many times on cable and would watch it whenever it came on. I rated it a 7 out of 10.
  • I loved this silliness which didn't try to pass itself off as anything but a totally goofy spoof. I particularly enjoyed Keach's stiff backed, rule happy[exempting himself, of course]cop intent on breaking a group of citizens' while taking advantage of them. If you like super silly farces having no roots in reality this is the ticket.
  • Too much fun! Even though this film would seem way too cheesy and juvenile on the surface, there are just too many laughs for it not to be an entertaining experience. From the makers of Police Academy and Bachelor Party, Moving Violations has enough one-liners and sight gags to more than make up for its lack of plot. Though some of the gags make Dumb and Dumber seem like an episode of Frazier, I guarantee you'll be laughing at it in spite of yourself.

The story concerns a group of perennial bad drivers who are sentenced to a strict traffic school in which they have to pass the course or forfeit their cars to the county. The class is run by two bad-ass motorcycle cops played by James Keach and Lisa Hart Carroll. They have their characters down so well, they'll even frighten you. Keach has a scheme going with the judge that sentenced the bad drivers to the course. Their plan is to make the class impossible and somehow split the profits from the impounded vehicles themselves. To detail this plot any further would be a dis-service to not only this review, but the film itself.

John Murray plays the ringleader of the traffic school bunch. He is certainly no Bill Murray, but he's very charismatic and funny. Most of the other students are made up of typically wacky characters you might expect to find in a movie like this. Most of them are thankfully more funny than annoying. The cast is made up of many familiar faces; some of which went on to better things, and some of them just disappeared. Look closely and you'll spot Don Cheadle working at a fast food drive up window for about five seconds! Since there is so little plot, the film must count on sight gags involving cars being destroyed, old people with diminished facilities, bondage, puppet stages rolling down hills and into funeral homes, you name it. Toward the end, there is as one might expect, a climatic chase scene involving parade floats, a group of marathon runners, and about a thousand cops chasing after our heroes while they're on their way to police headquarters to expose the scheme to sell their cars. By this point, you'll be either rolling with laughter or you will have shut the movie off long before then.

Maybe it's not quite a classic, but I'd say it's a cut above Police Academy and somewhere just below Airplane or Top Secret. The odds are you'll find more than a few things to laugh at.

7 of 10 stars.

The Hound.
    After Police Academy and Bachelor Party, Neal Israel and Pat Proft made this film, which has a great cast of 80's comedy folks. It's the ultimate hijinks ensue kind of movie, where a bunch of oddballs all lose their licenses and have to go to traffic school. Unbeknownst to them, Judge Nedra Henderson (Sally Kellerman) plans on selling their cars and keeping them from ever driving again.

Deputy Henry "Hank" Halik (John Keach, brother of Stacy) and Deputy Virginia Morris (Lisa Hart Carroll, Patsy from Terms of Endearment) are the tough cops running things.

They're up against Dana Cannon (instead of just getting anybody to be a Bill Murray ripoff, Moving Violations at least hires his brother John), NASA scientist Amy Hopkins (Jennifer Tilly), teen Scott Greeber (Brian Backer, Rat from Fast Times at Ridgemont High), Where's the Beef? lady Clara Peller, Wendie Jo Sperber as a hypochondriac, Lust in the Dust's Nedra Volz, Fred Willard as a card mechanic, Nadine van der Velde from Critters, Don Cheadle in one of his first movies and Dedee Pfieffer from House 3/The Horror Show.

I love that Robert Conrad is in this. He turned down the role of Lassard in the first Police Academy and did this movie because he regretted that decision. And I adore the scene where Willard asks Sperber to get her car up on the rack and she thinks that he means her. It's totally stupid, but isn't that why you're watching this?
  • This is by far one of the best if not THE BEST comedy ever made. Such a pity it is so underrated. I've watched this movie time and again since 1985 and laugh just as hard each time. For those of you who have not seen this GO RENT IT. You will not be disappointed.
  • Ever love a movie when you were a kid, only to revisit it years later and realize it basically sucks? This was the feeling I had last night watching 1985's MOVING VIOLATIONS.

I hadn't seen it in about fifteen years, but have been looking for it for a while. I had the pleasure of recently meeting Brian Backer (he's very handsome in 40s now) and wanted to check out some of his films from his '80s heyday. I've seen FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH countless times, and I wasn't about to rent POLICE ACADEMY 4, so that left MOVING VIOLATIONS.

But I couldn't find it anywhere. It's not on DVD, and my excellent video rental store (which sells any video that hasn't been checked out in two years) didn't carry it any more. I was out of luck. But the movie gods shined down on me, and selected MOVING VIOLATIONS to be shown on the Fox Movie Channel. Excellent! Uncut and without commercials, it'd be a great opportunity to tape the movie off cable. I was jazzed. Sitting down to watch it last night, I was ready to bask in its silly gags and broad acting. But, jeez, what a mess this movie really is.

How could a movie be so funny when you're 12 but so annoyingly stupid when you're pushing 30? The only time I laughed last night was the sequence between the hypochondriac Joan and the "Doctor" Terrence. The dialogue is rife with the classic "Three's Company"-style of humor in which the words being spoken are vague enough to mean one thing to one person but something else to the other. The scene is helped immensely by the skilled comedic timing and delivery of Wendie Jo Sperber and Fred Willard, who respectively play Joan and Doc and know how to make the gag work by staying true to their characters and playing the scene straight. Faintly recalling the exchange from my youth, I was laughing before the scene even started. Good stuff.

But that's about it. The rest of the movie consisted of the type of jokes I hate: When people do things simply for a joke, making the joke unfunny. Take a scene for example near the beginning with diminutive old lady picking her friend up at the airport. The one driving has poor vision, you see, and doesn't know that she's in the wrong car. She gets behind the wheel of the car next to hers by walking past hers. Does poor eyesight also negate accurate judgment of the distance to her own car? Wouldn't she know the width of her car in paces? She couldn't even see that the wrong car is dark blue while hers is beige? If not, how on earth did she drive to the airport unscathed? The scene ends with her driving on the runway with planes all around her, which she thinks are buses. This joke had whiskers back in Mr. Magoo's day, and it illustrates that comedies aren't funny when they're going out of their way trying to be funny. (Another example is when a woman is walking naked around an auto repair shop but no one notices her. It'd be funny if she were spotted by the employees, who then screw up whatever they're doing.) The characters in AIRPLANE play their roles with complete seriousness and never leave the viewer questioning their motivation, which is a big reason why that movie remains a classic.

As for the other characters, another one I still liked was the gorehound who tries to pick up chicks by asking them if which movie's violence they prefer. His reaction to the "Blood Flows Red on the Highway" Driver's Ed movie was priceless. His other decent joke, which cumulates with a string of cars being pushed though a drive-through window, is handicapped by the poor choice of the camera angle for the crucial shot. (Speaking of the camera work, I noticed that director Neal Israel ripped himself off my copying a shot from his previous movie BACHELOR PARTY. Way to go, Neal. Gee, I wonder why you're currently laboring on lesser television shows on the lesser networks. And, yeah, that "Brady Bunch" TV movie last year hasn't appeared to released you from Hollywood Jail, has it?)

Back to the cast. Jennifer Tilly as, yes, a rocket scientist wasn't as good as I remembered, but her bit with her love interest in the anti-gravity chamber was still cute, and the shot with their removed shirts groping each other was one of the few images that my memory had retained over all these years. Whodathunk then Tilly would become a terrific actress with wonderful comedic timing and be nominated for an Oscar?

Which brings me to said love interest, the lead character played by John Murray. If you're wondering if Murray is related to another, more famous (and talented) Murray, his performance leaves no doubt. John approaches his character like a cut-rate Bill Murray impersonator. It's unmistakable, and a little eerie and sad. I wonder if Bill was okay with his brother ripping off his persona, or if it created some rot in the family tree. John later had a role in SCROOGED, but has not worked since, which leaves this question open.

Every dumb comedy has its one-dimensional villains, and MOVING VIOLATIONS is no exception. This time it's James Keach, playing the crooked cop demoted to teach the class. Sneering at every sight of our "hero," Keach's performance is handcuffed by his clichéd character that is aggressively one-note. Keach would the next year play basically the same character in WILDCATS, but that comedy was marginally better and his character was allowed a shade or two of gray. In MOVING VIOLATIONS he was a jerk from beginning to end.

Or maybe not. Seeing this movie at a mature age reveals subtext that before had gone unnoticed. Now I wonder, is his character gay? The evidence: His female partner, whom he's supposedly sleeping with, is so butch other characters call her "sir." And later on, while in bed with his co-conspirator (another female), he's clad in leather chest straps, metal harnesses, and tight leather shorts - the preferred clothing of your average West Village daddy. They're making the usual noises people do when in the throes of passion but both of them still have their underwear on, leading me to assume they're dry humping before he jumps out of the bed in a clearly detumescent state. (During this scene, by the way, the old lady falls on top of them, and they don't even realize it. How am I supposed to be laughing while doubting that two people in bed wouldn't notice a third appearing out of nowhere? This breed of comedy needs to be based in truth to work.)

What's going on here? Am I reading too much into things? I've been known to do so. Anyway, let's jump ahead to the climax. Act 3 ends with a Big Chase, which is the ultimate act of creative desperation from a hack screenwriter. How does a comedy about traffic school degenerate to a mad dash with an incriminating ledger in hand? There's so many things wrong with this sequence that I don't know if I can include them all here. For instance, what's the probability that a city would simultaneously hold a marathon, a parade, and a police convention? How does the Brian Backer character conveniently appear on the scene, running from his girlfriend's father in what appears to be from the suburbs? How does a trooper on a motorcycle expect to catch a fleeing Mercedes by riding slow enough for a corp of deputies on foot to keep pace? And wouldn't the police chief be a) at the convention, and b) less easily accessible in his office to the recently-arrested hero and the mob chasing him?

Should I not consider such questions in a dumb comedy? Probably. I should just shut off my brain, right? I wish I could but I can't. Maybe if the movie were funnier, if more of the jokes worked, if the plot were more focused, I could forgive such a nonsensical ending. But after a while my brain rebelled, and wouldn't let me ignore the inconsistencies and failed humor. Sorry. I should have never returned to MOVING VIOLATIONS, because I'm now wondering what other movies from my childhood wouldn't hold up to near-middle-age scrutiny.
  • EDBAYES20 December 2005
    one of the funniest of funny ladies..... she will be truly missed by all................ I know she is smiling and laughing as I type. Traffic Violations (which I always called Night School) has her in one of her best roles. The girl who sat on the car lift to get oiled. You have to see the movie to understand what I just said. I did admire this fine actress and wonder why her death report failed to make television news or even a mention on the radio. If you get the opportunity and need a good clean funny movie to watch with the kids...this is the one to look for. Just get yourself a box of towels to wipe away the tears of laughter........Poooooor Wendi, and she had to run all those miles between oil changes.......even QuickieChange could not have written lines that funny.
  • Funny, but completely stupid and near worthless film has a group of oddballs being sentenced to traffic school by a crooked judge (Sally Kellerman). Naturally the teacher of the class ends up being motorcycle cop jerk James Keach (who was the one to ticket most of the miscreants). What no one counted on was trouble-maker John Murray (Bill's real-life younger brother) disrupting Keach and Kellerman's plans to sell confiscated vehicles illegally. Others in the class include Jennifer Tilly (in a very early role), Brian Backer and Fred Willard. Not much substance here stalls "Moving Violations" real quick. The thrill disappears within the first 10 minutes and what we are left with are "Police Academy"-styled routines. Watch for Don Cheadle (of "Traffic" fame) as a worker at a fast food restaurant drive-through window. 2 stars out of 5.
  • Yes, this movie is stupid and some of the jokes are rather crude, but I find it a lot more funny than most mainstream comedy movies released these days. The story and movie has the basic setup and premises of the Police Academy movies, however other than maybe the first police academy I found this movie better than that series. We have a group of people in this movie that have accumulated so many parking tickets that they must complete a training course to reclaim their licenses and even their cars. Granted I have to agree with the guy in the puppet show stand...why was he there? You have your usual ensemble cast for these types of movies, Bill Murray's brother is the headliner and he is somewhat good. Jennifer Tilly is also in this one, however I say that the guy teaching the cast played by Keech is the funniest character with the possible exception of that old lady when she is drunk. Plenty of funny scenes within as well as the scene of the woman following the "doctor's" advice was really funny as too was the scenes of the students watching the bloody asphalt movie. The movie gathers a lot of steam, but the ending just is not up to the rest of the film where we get the comedic chase scene. Still, for a movie with only minor stars and a by the numbers type story this movie was pretty funny.
  • Scarecrow-8818 January 2007
    A group of people, whose vehicles are held because of traffic violations, must pass the test of hardened, tight-wad Deputy Halik(James Keach)and his very butch lover Virginia(Lisa Hart Carroll). What weighs against them, other than their own ineptitude, is that crooked Judge Henderson(Sally Kellerman playing the usual sexpot slut)is in cahoots with Halik on failing them despite their chances of passing so that they can sell their cars and share the profit. Henderson also offers her bed to Halik. Will they be able to outwit Henderson and Halik? John Murray(who is indeed imitating his brother..but doing it very well because he's quite funny)plays Dana Cannon, the one responsible for costing Halik a big promotion. Halik and Virginia attacked a car believing it was Dana's but was indeed their chief's! So being busted down to traffic teaching really has Halik gunning for Dana. The cast has some recognizable faces such as a young frizzy-haired, bubble-headed Jennifer Tilly as Amy, Dana's love interest and an employee of NASA! Brian Backer, with his bulging eyes, plays Scott, a puppeteer in love with a 15-year old punk rocker(who pretends to be older and passes off as an ordinary clean-cut girl until the bad side comes out). Wendie Jo Sperber has a hilarious role as hypochondriac Joan who doesn't understand that Fred Willard's "Doc" Williams is an auto mechanic(she thinks he's a doctor, he thinks she's wanting her car worked on..the dialogue of the scene and when she comes to visit for a "check up" are priceless).

But, the real laughs come from Nedra Volz as Loretta Houk. She's blind as a bat and this provides some gut-busting moments of true silliness such as the scene where she mistakingly goes into the men's room and wonders why her back is all wet(..or how she wound up in the class to begin with;she actually drove her car onto an airstrip!!).
  • From the creators of Police Academy and Bachelor Party comes this hilarious and fun romp about a group of delinquent drivers who are sentenced to traffic school run by Hitler-esque police officer Halik (James Keach) and his equally unplesant partner Virginia Morris (Lisa Hart Carroll). The leader of the pack is wise-ass tree nursery owner Dana Cannon (John Murray, yep Bill Murray's younger brother). The group discover that the "school" is actually a car-scrapping front devised by Halik and corrupt judge Nedra Henderson (Sally Kellerman). Because Halik dislikes Cannon in the first place for getting him demoted (he was in line for a promotion), Halik is determined to fail everyone one of them and their cars impounded for good.

Neal Israel (who co-scripted along with Pat Proft) keeps the pace going with plenty of visual gags (one set piece involves a series of falling bowling balls from a car trunk going every which way) and a wacky, climatic car chase through a downtown parade. Ralph Burns supplies a wonderful comedic score and nice cinematography by Robert Elswit. Worth a look.
  • There's many "classic" comedies that are not funny but amusing but this one is funny. There is one prophetic line in here though where the main character remarks, "this has put me off sex forever" paraphrased something like that as they're peeping through a window at the badguys doing it, as his love interest nods, and he sort of faces her but doesn't glance at her. You should mean that not even as actors but as people as the key to success and more fun movies. I have to admit the badguy officer, as instructor is actually level headed at points just trying to teach them how to drive. Other "classic" comedies also forget they're comedies and end up with way too much drama, I'm not here for that. They have won the toughest genre, Pass. Looney as heck, without any dramatic schmaltz, but not completely pointless and with some semblance of necessary plot.