User Reviews (11)

• I had to see this movie for my German Film/Media class. I enjoyed watching it. I certainly laughed a lot. When it comes down to it, this movie is about what men think about women. As Julius and Stefan become friends, they constantly talk and complain about women. But neither of them can stay away from them. This only means one thing. No matter what men say about women, they just can't stay away from them.

My favorite character in this movie is Julius, the husband that comes up with a really fantastic plan to get his wife back from the unemployed artist, Stefan, a man his wife is having an affair with. He is determined to find out what his wife sees in this man. As he develops a close friendship with Stefan, Julius manages to turn him into an image of Julius himself. An image his wife does not find very attractive. I think this plan is very unusual, but very good and very funny. It's what makes this movie very interesting.

Definitely worth watching. Very funny. Very interesting. I highly recommend it!!
  • emm28 November 1998
    Maybe I'll start to appreciate comedy movies after all! This German-made production actually makes a bit of common sense! The movie tells it all, involving two buddies who talk, fuss, and complain about the natural feminist state. It is not a romance like many of the U.S. comedies, but a dramatic and humorous account of the sexual revolution. The proven point is simple: nothing in the world can keep men from being addicted to the opposite sex! I'll admit that it also has one of the silliest, catchiest endings I have ever seen, not to mention the actual crew members showing up on the elevators in the final credits. To add greater sense to the movie is the fact that it was directed by a woman. Sounds like the battle of the sexes all over again! Highly recommended!
    "Männer..." is a West German movie from over 30 years ago. It runs for 95 minutes and was the breakthrough for writer and director Doris Dörrie and lead actor Heiner Lauterbach. His co-lead Uwe Ochsenknecht was already a bit more famous at this point thanks to "Das Boot". The film is basically about two men and their interaction with each other and with the women in their lives. Occasionally, their professional life (business, creativity) also becomes part of the story. But it is really all about masculinity or lack thereof and what women really prefer. Unfortunately, I cannot say I found this film as good as awards bodies everywhere around the world did. One problem is that Lauterbach and Ochsenknecht may have good charisma and recognition value, but they do not have great range or talent in terms of acting and this is as true today as it was back then as both actors are still pretty famous here in Germany.

Sadly, this movie is evidence that the 1980s really weren't the greatest decade in terms of film for Germany. It's a sad state of affairs when a film like this gets picked up to represent Germany at the Academy Awards. needless to say, it did not manage to get nominated. As for Dörrie, I have seen some of her other works and it shows that she wasn't even 30 when she made this. It is nowhere near her best in terms of story-telling or character evaluation. It is extremely showy and many fell for it, but it lacks (besides great acting) convincing subtlety and relatable characters. It is still better than Dörrie's most recent work "Grüße aus Fukushima", but this does not make "Men..." a satisfying watch. Not at all. I give it a thumbs down as this is a mix of bad and mediocre and nowhere near the filmmaker's best work, even if it is still, despite the age, among her most known. Not recommended.
    When a rich businessman finds out that his wife is having an affair with an artist (with a really nasty mullet, and some lovely underwear), he decides to leave his wife, and moves in with..... his wife's lover. We see some weird behaviour between the 2 as the businessman takes a deep interest his art, and eventually lands him a job. (After turning the artist into the reason why his wife left him in the first place.) Funny weird and wonderful. A very good film.
  • Some European movies seem to be better than American movies, this could be one of them. It was really funny, and it was also really European. Why? Because it´s crude, it´s cold, it´s hot, it´s strong.... And I love it!!! Maybe it´s the german humor.

Two men make friends with a woman. One is her husband, and the other one is her lover. The husband finds out that his wife is having an affair, and he develops a very useful trick. It is really funny to watch them start a friendship, and sharing experiences with each other. It is a great movie. Rent it if you see it in blockbuster, or look for it on the T.V. It will be worth it....
  • sportell14 November 1999
    I watched this for my German film class. It was very funny. It also showed the level of immaturity men have, compared to women in certain situations. Julius was fanatical with the idea of getting his wife back from the "other man".
  • The version we tried to watch was "Men", dubbed into English. We couldn't stay the course, as the speech was so stilted and unnatural. I suspect that the German language version is much better, but we may not be able to find one here in northern New Mexico.
  • kosmasp2 April 2019
    Look past the heavy 80s setting (especially the hairdos) and enjoy this quite funny romp, that takes you on a ride, with insecure men who try to impress a woman (the same one), while having a weird chemistry between them. Now that may sound strange, but bunking up with your wifes lover is not something I would consider a normal thing.

This is a german comedy and I am sort of surprised this never got an US remake. It probably wasn't succesful enough, but it does have something to it, that works universally speaking. With a few tweaks here and there you could do something with it. Modernize it and all that - although leave a few things behind, like social media which would make a few things unbelievable that happen in here. Other than that, this is silly and decent fun and a look inside the psyche of some men
  • gavin694213 January 2017
    A man's wife leaves him to take up with an artist, so the man responds by becoming the artist's roommate.

First of all, the plot here is brilliant. Maybe it is not original, maybe it's been done before. I don't know. But the concept is clever enough to get some great situations. And the humor, which is evident in the script, is somewhat amplified in the American release by the weird dubbing. This is far from the worst dubbing I have ever heard, but it does have them saying things I find hard to believe were in the original.

Unfortunately, at the time of this writing (January 2017), it seems that the best way to see the film is on a DVD that is very obviously a VHS transfer. The picture is bad. Really, really bad. In the age of 2K and 4K scans, hopefully someone comes along and gets a better release out there.
    A wealthy art director's bored wife no longer finds him as vital and exciting as when they first met and married. She informs him that she doesn't love him anymore, and has found someone new who fulfills her. Rather than screams and tantrums, or even a big fight, the husband (Julian) asks about the new lover (Stefan) and in which ways he differs from himself.

He then sets out to win his wife back by, intentionally or subconsciously, turning Stefan into himself and, hopefully, in the process showing his wife that the dullness she ascribes to his engagements with work over life are, in fact, the consequences of striving to support and keep her in the manner to which she is accustomed.

The majority of comment on this brilliant little film focuses on the nature of men, which is only natural given the title and the fact that it's directed by a woman. However, I believe that the film also advances a radical argument with respect to women: they inspire carefree romance in men, but also inspire the soul-eating corporate indenture that leaves men mere husks of themselves.

That women are regarded as possessions and prizes is made explicit in the final sequence of the film (which is both so absurd and such genius that it would be a crime for me to ruin it) in the way Stefan and Julius resolve the conflict between them. That women are the root of this competitiveness as well as the reason why men gradually lose their luster is also argued in the readiness with which Stefan takes to Julian's suggestions and in Paula's ultimate decision.

Not really groundbreaking stuff of itself, but a position almost never taken by comedies of the sexes, just another reason why this film is a true cinematic gem.
    When an uptight, inhibited middle-class husband learns his wife is having an affair with a young bohemian artist he does what any obsessed cuckold might do, contriving to become his rival's roommate, without revealing his true identity. The two men clash like natural enemies, but gradually their mutual antagonism is transformed into grudging respect and later into friendship, with each benefiting from his exposure to the other until, finally, they all but trade characters, the husband becoming more spontaneous and the lover more responsible. Writer director Dorris Dorrie is remarkably impartial in her assessment of the opposite sex, presenting both roommates (and the woman between them) with generous sympathy despite their obvious shortcomings. Unfortunately the modest charm and offhand humor of her screenplay is pretty much destroyed by insensitive English overdubbing, and it requires a lot of effort to mentally translate the dialogue back into more effective subtitles.