User Reviews (540)

• This is a classic fantasy film from Jim Henson, in collaboration with George Lucas. There really is a magic about the film and that has helped it last as a firm family favourite all these years. As with many films aimed at younger audiences there are messages that the writers, in this case Henson himself, have tried to convey, such as `be careful what you wish for (as in the heat of the moment we are not always sure what is best for us) and also about not taking things for granted. These lessons not only relate to the major target audience of young children but also teenagers and adults alike. The film also has values and attitudes about growing up, the central character Sarah is in the awkward stage between child and womanhood, the stage of adolescence. She acts like a child in her self importance and possessiveness but she is perhaps starting to grow out of her young imagination. She does not want to, her room full of inanimate companions, dreams and fantasies, she feels are slipping away.

Labyrinth is about Sarah keeping her imagination alive, her fantasies and dreams, and these help her figure out what she is doing wrong, it helps her realise how her attitude is wrong and causes her to be depressed. There is certainly intelligence to this film if analysed deeply. There is depth to the script, and clear attitudes and values that Jim Henson conveys. Henson is in a way telling not just kids, but also adults, that our subconscious, which includes our dreams and imaginative side (in terms of taking yourself to another place, more than imagination in creating something like a piece of music for instance.) can be as affective a guide to where and when your live is going wrong as your conscious. Sometimes we don't realise things we have said or done until we dream. How many times have you said something, that every teen must have to their parents, for instance `I wish you were dead', very cruel but it is said. I have in the past and realised the full implication in a bad dream, a dream is the most effective doorway to imagine something outside of it really happening.

What is fantastic about the way the film opens and closes as that it really hints to the fact that Sarah has been through the same dream before, and that she needs these imaginative friends, and dreams to help her see the light as it were. She says for instance at the close that every now and again she needs Hoggle and company. The opening of the film sees Sarah reciting from a book to herself, she is addressing the Goblin king and the characters of this book and her room are the cast of a play inside her mind, they are special to her and meaningful, in a way we might have a favourite song that speaks to us in some way. At the start of the film when we are first in her room there is clever use of visual hints that you wouldn't pick up on until watching a film the second time. Look around her room and you see the characters everywhere, Hoggle, Ludo even a little replica of a maze. There is also a clipping of Sarah's mother, who we do not know whether she is still alive, but in any case is not around, but she is with a man who is the likeness of the Goblin King. The man in the photo probably a figure of blame for the loss (however large) of Sarah's mother. What is also interesting is Sarah being a young girl at the start of puberty has a certain fascination and perhaps crush on the Goblin King, perhaps a combination of the character from the book and the likeness of which she has created this character in her head. Certainly on a visual and script basis there are some clever touches when you consider this is a kids film.

The film itself is much like the Wizard of Oz in terms of story (intentional maybe as it could represent something that Sarah finds special and perhaps inspirational). What I really love about the film is, that before the days of CGI, inside the Goblin world, which accounts for 90% of the film, everything is 100% set work, there must be well over a hundred sets and they are all imaginative an create the enchanting atmosphere of the film, these sets combined with some fantastic matte paintings from ILM that give even more of a scale to the film.

I do really like this film, the look, the cheesy feel good 80's music, the characters, it is all great. There is some good humour and of course the odd piece of very childish low brow humour but that is to be expected. It is movie magic no question. David Bowie is good as the Goblin King and all the puppeted characters are fantastically brought to life in there movements and voicing as you would expect from a Henson film. A very youthful Jennifer Connelly before the days when many a website was devoted to her ample bosom, has a charm to her, she has to hold the movie together and win the audience, especially after being very bratty and effectively wishing her baby brother into the clutches of Goblins. She does manage to win the audience though and enchant them with her green eyes and youthful innocence.

This film is great, it is what makes, or made fantasy films of this time really enchanting. Real artistry was involved, there was exuberance and charm to it and it has lasted a long time. It is a firm fans favourite and still gains new young fans. I can still to this day sit down and enjoy the film because I remember what Jim Henson tries to teach us. `Keep the inner child alive inside you sometimes he/she actually knows best'. Perhaps certain events in recent years may have panned out differently had this been heeded by more people, but that is all just hear say.

Overall this is a classic fantasy film with much artistry and charm to appreciate, certainly Henson had a skill in all his fields in the industry. ****
  • I recently had the pleasure of watching this movie with three kids who had (to my shock and dismay) never seen it before. It turned out to be as good, if not better, as I remembered. The story is reminescent of the original, printed page (very dark) Grimm fairy tales. The special effects are still special, and the characters are unforgettable. Seriously, don't miss it.

This is one of the very few childrens' movies that is smarter and better than what has unfortunately become "normal" for the genera. The reverse evolution in childrens' films is heartbreaking, as kids don't deserve to be talked down to so often in movies. I grew up on films like "Labyrinth", "the Neverending Story", and "the Secret of NIMH", and I still count them among my favorites. In the 80's they gave us cinematic filet mignon, and today's kids are getting Spam.
  • The first time I saw this movie was two years ago. Don't ask me how I managed to miss it as a child but I did.

It is obvious that this movie was made for the kiddies but I don't think it can just be enjoyed by the younger crowd. I think perhaps if I had seen this as a child instead of a teenager I would have enjoyed it more but I didn't and I still enjoyed never the less. There is something magical about watching Labyrinth. You just feel the happiness that rubs off from this movie. It almost makes you wish you were a kid again. I admit seeing it now I have to say some parts are beyond corny but I think that's just part of it, I mean that was the 80's right? I am not even a David Bowie fan but I can't help but smile whenever he starts singing (which is quite often). I recently showed this to my 4 year old cousin and he couldn't get enough of it. It was so great to watch him turn his head back to look at me with a giant smile to make sure I saw the puppets doing whatever they were doing at that moment. He really loved it so I bought him the dvd for X-mas this year along with myself a copy. This is really just one of those movies you have to see at least once in your life, just because there isn't another like it. Sure the story isn't much when it comes to plot but try to watch this film all the way through without smiling once, I dare you!

A great movie for the kids or kids at heart! 8 out of 10 stars.
  • Growing up as a child in 1980's New York, I remember being inspired by many fantasy and science fiction films, that eventually led me to start writing short stories myself (from there to my current occupation of journalism the road was quite short, BTW). Titles like The Neverending Story, Flight of the Navigator and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? captured my imagination and filled me with aw, and with time found their way to my ever growing DVD collection, as did Jim Henson's Labyrinth, the latest addition to my nostalgic bundle of joy.

The saddest thing about all this is that no one seems to make films like Labyrinth anymore. Viewing it again at the age of 25 just made me appreciate it even more, for all of it's breathtaking imaginative figures, rich scenery and original plot; especially when some of the scenes seem somewhat dated while the essence and heart of the film remain in tact, even twenty years down the road.

In short, Labyrinth is one of Jim Henson's last attempts at creating cross-age entertainment through his world famous puppets, after bringing life to the eternal beloved characters of The Muppets and Sesame Street, and before his sudden and premature death. The story presents us 16 year old Sarah (a very young Academy Award winner Jennifer Connelly, A Beautiful Mind), who has an extremely vivid imagination she uses to escape her everyday worries... or so it seems. After asked to take care of her baby stepbrother, Toby, Sarah finds herself dealing with a screaming infant, instead of wondering away in her thoughts to a world filled with Goblins, Yeti-like creatures, and a King Atrhur-ish talking dog. After several lacking attempts at calming the baby down, she wishes Toby to the evil Goblin King Jareth. Fantasy and fiction clash when Jareth (the one and only rock singer David Bowie, who appears on screen with an extravagant 80's outfit and some cute yet unnecessary songs) actually takes Toby away to his evil kingdom, where he threatens to transform the baby into a Goblin, if Sarah won't find a way to cross a tricky and mystical Labyrinth on the way to his kingdom. Determined to save her brother, Sarah makes her way through the Labyrinth, meeting helpful friends along the way, whilst magical fantasy happenings occur around her...

This is a true 1980's gem. Treat it with care, and enjoy!
  • Cool film! Way too good for children. Jim Henson, as ever, is the absolute master of every kind of puppetry known to man or muppet.Particularly adorable is the little punk worm who invites Sarah to "Come inside and meet the missus"... very cute. The plot has all the essential elements of a good fairy tale with the added bonus of a heroine who manages to get through all her trials and tribulations without squealing feebly or fainting into the arms of any poxy bloke. David Bowie is wonderfully sexy (despite the fright wig) and his natural humour shines through although his character does a pretty good job of being spiteful and menacing. I get the feeling the he really enjoyed making this film. The soundtrack is excellent and "As the World Falls Down" is quite hauntingly beautiful ('though I have to agree with an earlier reviewer that the ballroom sequence in which it was played did slow the action down a little - but it was a visual feast).

All in all, a beautiful film with a wonderful cast of creatures and humans. Makes me miss Jim Henson's talents lots but at least we've still got Brian (his son). My friend's three year old now has a crush on the Goblin King (I dread to think how that's gonna shape her life!).
  • Oh dear, Jim Henson, you are sorely missed. Not necessarily because you went before your time, or even in somewhat rotten circumstances. No, it is because unlike the purveyors of so-called family entertainment these days, your work was actually entertaining to the whole family. When I was a lad, I used to think these films were childish and patronising. By comparison to what is being aimed at the children of my cousins, it is MENSA material, and I realise now that it was far more brilliant than I had previously given it credit for. Indeed, compared to the "you're not good if you don't have good feelings" rubbish that the likes of B'Harni fill the heads of children with, Henson productions deserve a medal.

At its heart, Labyrinth is a simple fable about how much we miss something once it is gone. A young girl wishes that her annoying stepbrother would disappear, only to find when he is gone that she misses him. Enter the Goblin King, played with a great malice by David Bowie. The challenge the Goblin King sets almost sounds like a video game. Indeed, one popular Commodore 64 game of the time set the challenge of collecting the pieces to solve a key puzzle to save the world in a certain time period. Labyrinth was even adapted into a game for the Commodore 64. In Labyrinth the film, this young woman named Sarah, played with a certain kind of brilliance by a young Jennifer Connelly, is challenged to navigate a massive labyrinth in less than thirteen hours, lest her brother become one of the Goblins.

It sounds like a very simple idea, and it is. What makes Labyrinth the under-appreciated classic that it is is in the details. As previously indicated, the leads are absolutely brilliant. While David Bowie chews scenery like there is no tomorrow, Jennifer Connelly gets so into her character that she makes it seem perfectly natural when she is interacting with some of Jim Henson's most ludicrous creations. The scene in which she rescues a giant yeti-like thing called Ludo is one of the most superbly-made things in the history of children's film. It is also worth noting that in contrast to the aforementioned normalism of B'Harni and his ilk, Henson's creations taught the valuable lesson that appearances are not the sum total of a living creature's character. Ludo looks like he could tear apart our protagonist, but his manner and speech show him as one of the most gentle and lovable characters ever depicted in film.

As you might guess from this film featuring David Bowie as the top-billed star, there are also a few song and dance numbers. Some of them, such as the magic dance number, are immortally embarrassing. Or at least, they would be, if not for two things. First, the suspension of disbelief that Henson so admirably achieves with his puppets is a real pleasure. Second, Bowie's golden voice could charm the paint off walls. When he sings "I saw my baby, crying hard as babe could cry", it stands out like a stark reminder of why this man used to be able to sign record deals worth tens of millions of dollars. It may even bring tears to your eyes.

If Labyrinth does have a weakness, it is in the closing reels. The final song from Bowie stretches the scene beyond its welcome, but it recovers nicely once Sarah returns to the real world. The compositing work in the Firey sequence is rather lousy, and the story seems to grind to a halt when they do their song and dance number. On the other hand, their song and dance number is still incredibly amusing to behold.

In all, I gave Labyrinth an eight out of ten. It is not perfect. In fact, I wonder if whomever designed Bowie's costume was not playing an elaborate joke upon him. But for all of its problems, Labyrinth is an underrated classic. One of the few films that is advertised as being for all ages, and can entertain audiences of that description. A great light went out in our world when Jim Henson passed away.
  • Lorx15 February 2006
    The movie takes you to a wonderful world where nothing is what it seems. I was about 10 years old the first time I saw it and it made such an impact on me that I ended up ordering it from Germany just 12 years old. The setting is fantastic; it's just scary enough without making scares in a young boy's soul. Bowie acts in a trilling way, and his unique and magical voice brings it all together. If you like fantasy you will love this film. All the Quotes make Bowie as Jareth "the Goblin King" the perfect villain. At times you almost despise him but as I wrote in my first sentence, nothing is like it seems. And as I grow older I sympathized with him, you may even say that he tries to help Sarah. If you decide to see that aspect of it that is. All in all I wish you all a lovely experience watching this movie!
  • By today's standards "Labyrinth" may look dated and cheap but there's something about it that makes it special.

David Bowie makes it a stand alone movie in the weird ranking. The man is crazy but his performance is excellent!

Jennifer Connely (being 16 at the time) delivers a solid and tender performance. She was very, very cute and her performance totally gained the audience's love.

The tale is fantastic and keeps you interested from the beginning to the end. The musical moments are also great! The f/x were great for it's time and I wonder how they came out with the idea for creating such original characters.

The thing that I liked the most about the movie is it's art direction. The world that is created is taken directly from everyone's fantasy world idea. Colorful and dark at the same time.

Better than the "Neverending Story" movies, "Labyrinth" should be watched for lovers of sci-fi.
  • Elswet21 August 2003
    A Fantastical Quest Through the Labyrinth of Time. This Henson/Lucas production isn't quite what you'd expect from these legendary directors. Somehow, it's better.

The genius of Henson and Lucas shines brightly as Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie perpetuate this wonderful tale of fantasy written by Dennis Lee and Jim Henson. Henson's son, Brian (now the head of the Henson Empire), even gets in on the act as the voice of Hoggle.

The story opens in the present, this world, this plane. Sarah (Connelly) is a spoiled rotten little drama queen who thinks she is the center of the universe and the sun around which the world revolves.

In a brattish fit of colossal immaturity, she stumbles upon the correct words to summon Jareth the Goblin King (Bowie) to take her little brother to the Goblin Realm.

Once done; however, she realizes how angry her parents will be and decides that it's more prudent to go "rescue" Toby rather than allow his assimilation into the Goblin fold.

Jareth gives her 13 hours in which to find her way through an impossible labyrinth, fight her way through the Goblin City, and puzzle out the staircases of the Goblin Castle and save her half-brother.

She is punished for arrogance, beguiled in her naivety, confused in her indecision and imprisoned for her quick, thoughtless decisions. "That's not FAIR!" is one of her most used and best delivered lines; used again and again, until it FINALLY sinks in that life just isn't fair.

It is a warm, funny and enriching tale, once started. It's about growing up, accepting responsibility for your actions and choices and making them more wisely in the beginning, rather than cleaning up your messes as you go along.

In the end, Sarah realizes all the infantile tantrums and childish toys are nothing but detritial remains of her otherwise out-lived childhood. She begins to stumble upon the reality that the important things are family, friends, and the responsibility that comes with making mature decisions. She throws away her immaturity and child-like selfishness to save her brother and thereby sets her feet back on the right path to adulthood and maturity.

It's a wonderful "coming of age" movie, and perfect for its target audience: girls 9-13. But I must say that children and adults alike love this movie, worldwide. It's not ONLY for girls, but for anyone who loves fantasy. This movie is far superior to what most consider to be your standard "Muppet Movie." It's one of my favorites.

This movie gets an 8.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.
  • Most of us look at Lucus film as producing Star Wars, but many would overlook this little gem, Labyrinth, superb in its plot and set design, ahead of its time and exciting for both children and adults. It has also become a bit of a cult classic and set Connelly up for her modern day fame. Admittedly as a child I was scared to death of this film due to the creepiness of certain parts! If you have chance, watch the 'making of' documentary which is actually quite fascinating. Muppet fans will love the characters, Bowie fans will be pleasantly surprised at David as Jareth the Goblin King and the soundtrack is a little chunk of 80's fun.
  • Jennifer Connelly is Sarah, an immature spoiled narcissistic bratty teen whom after wishing her baby brother, Toby, away to the Goblin King (a great David Bowie, who's a highlight of the film) and has to traverse a complex labyrinth to get him back learning to be a lot less selfish in the process. Bowie's songs highlight and punctuate a magical film that is sure to appeal to both the young and young at heart. Better then Jim Hanson's other more mature film of the 80's "The Dark Crystal", because it's a tad more humane and more easily to relate to, but both these films are fun to watch. Loving this film from when I was a kid myself might have shading my opinion of it a bit, yet re-watching it just now, I still find it very enjoyable.

My Grade: B+

Collector's Edition DVD Extras: "Inside the Labyrinth" 56 minute making-of featurette; Four photo galleries; posters gallery; Filmographies; Storyboards; Theatrical trailer; and trailer for "The Dark Crystal box set"

Random Notes: Comes packed with animation cell/scene composite card and postcards
  • Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is a teenage girl who lives in a fantasy world of goblins and magic. But her fantasy becomes reality when the Goblin King (David Bowie) takes her stepbrother. Now she has thirteen hours to solve the massive Labyrinth and make her way to the Goblin castle beyond. Along the way she befriends several of Henson's fantastic Muppet creations for the final battle.

This wonderfully produced and magical fantasy is great fun from the beginning to the end. Henson (fresh off the equally impressive Dark Crystal) 'mines his imagination for very realistic places and endearing and vivid characters. Toping it all off is a wonderful casting and a nice soundtrack and musical score.
  • 'Labyrinth' has deep symbolic and psychological significance. It's about a girl going into the fantasy world to work through her issues and fears about growing up. In her room there are all the different creatures/toys etc found in the labyrinth and books from which the symbolism of the labyrinth is taken. Some themes in the movie reminded me of 'The Phantom of The Opera', because it involved a labyrinth, The Goblin King is a musician and a magician and he's in love with a young girl. This movie can be seen on several levels: first, as a children's movie, but also as a movie for grownups, because there are some universal lessons that everyone can learn from it...this movie is so magical and wonderful...the characters in the labyrinth are truly fantastical...I saw this movie in 2006, but i still love it very much and I wish i saw it when i was younger...I probably would have loved it even more, if that's possible :D

In case anyone is interested in the symbolism of Labyrinth and it's characters, here are some interesting links:

http://www.katiescarlett.co.uk/ http://www.oddpla.net/realm/ http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/lorelei/littlemagpie.html http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/lorelei/labyanalysis.html
  • Labyrinth is, no doubt, one of the most outstanding fantasy movies ever made. It is superbly acted throughout, with the wonderful talents of Jennifer Connelly, who plays a spoilt girl called Sarah, who takes too many things for granted. She is very beautiful and such a brilliant actress, and she holds the story together well with her convincing transformation from a young dreamy girl with her head in the clouds, to a mature, unselfish young lady, who learns to become independent. David Bowie is very good as the Goblin King. He plays the villain so well; you don't know whether to love him or hate him. The story unfolds with Sarah wishing her bratty little stepbrother, Toby, away to the Kingdom of the Goblins. However, her wish really is granted, and Sarah then faces the biggest challenge in her life; to complete the Labyrinth surrounding the Goblin Castle, within thirteen hours. If she completes it within the time, she will get Toby back. However, if she doesn't, Toby will be transformed into a Goblin, and will have to live in the Goblin Kingdom for eternity as a slave. With such an inventive and promising plot, they couldn't go wrong. The magic begins from the very start; the magnificent and beautiful set pieces don't fail to dazzle and enchant. The labyrinth itself is definitely a magical experience; full of so many mesmerising sets, such as the bog of eternal stench and the oubliette's. The songs are enjoyable and memorable, and I recommend the soundtrack if you enjoy this film. The whole film is a fantastic visual feast, but the best scene has to be the ballroom masquerade; the costumes, the music, the tone and speed of the whole scene makes it such an unforgettable cinematic experience. The characters we encounter throughout the Labyrinth are a delight, including Ludo the lovable ogre, Hoggle the stubborn and fierce Goblin, and Sir Didymus and his stead Ambrosius. Labyrinth is certainly a magnificent fantasy experience, which will have you nostalgic and will leave you feeling warm inside.
  • The teenager Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is forced by her father and her stepmother to babysit her baby brother Toby while they are outside home. Toby does not stop crying and Sarah wishes that her brother be taken by the Goblin King. Out of the blue, Toby stops crying and when Sarah looks for him in the cradle, she learns that he wish was granted and the Goblin King Jareth (David Bowie) has taken him to his castle in the Goblin City in the middle of a labyrinth. Sarah repents an asks Jareth to give Toby back; but the Goblin King tells that she has to rescue her brother before midnight, otherwise Toby will be turned into a goblin. Soon Sarah teams up with the coward goblin Hoggle, the beast Ludo and the knight Didymus and his dog Ambrosius in her journey. Will they rescue Toby in time?

"Labyrinth" is another magic film from the 80's, maybe the best decade in cinema history. It is amazing the quantity of wonderful films produced in this period and "Labyrinth" is no exception. This film makes the viewer feel good and the plot is a journey to the childhood of any adult. It is also delightful to see David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly and these puppets again. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Labirinto - A Magia do Tempo" ("Labyrinth – The Magic of the Time")
  • Let's face it, the eighties gave us the best of everything: best music, best movies, best acting, etc. Now, we get leftovers that have been churned out a thousand times and remakes that make me nauseous. Labyrinth is a breath of fresh air from all that.

Despite Jim Henson being dead and gone, his movies live on- and Labyrinth rules supreme. Well, to me, anyways. With a combination of (gasp) original ideas, characters, and enchanting music, Labyrinth is a classic that is overshadowed by travesties such as LOTR.

For those of us who were around in the 80's, like myself, chances are, you were familiar with David Bowie, rock god. He pulls himself up from that disaster The Hunger and plays Jareth the goblin king with wit, charm, and charisma that you can't deny.

Jennifer Connelly- whom, I already loved from Phenomena/Seven minutes in Heaven- was perfect for Sarah- she had the right tone, right intelligence, right facial expressions- every scene where she wasn't in it left me begging Henson to bring her back (which he did! :)

Labyrinth has everything that movies today only WISH that they could possess: great acting, great cast all around, fun/original storyline (Quick! Hide! It's an original IDEA!!!) and it's fun for the whole family.

Labyrinth is a classic, a gem that will always have a special place in my heart. If you haven't seen this beautiful masterpiece yet, please do so. After all- the only things in life that one should regret are the things that you haven't done. Make sure missing Labyrinth isn't one of them.
    Labyrinth can only be described as a major fantasy success that was loved by children and adults all round the globe. The opinion of some is that this film is wasted on children as it is a superbly crafted, well written and finely directed film which can only be appreciated by people of a certain age and film knowing experience. I believe that these people are wrong, and that all people regardless of their age and film know-how should experience Labyrinth's magic.

The film was directed by one George Lucas, infamous for a little film he made called Star Wars. Labyrinth combines his talents with Jim Henson, widely known as the creator of the Muppets. Labyrinth in no way can be compared to a muppet film; it can only be compared with Jim's previous fantasy film ‘The Dark Crystal'. Though Labyrinth isn't as dark as Dark Crystal it still bats in the same league.

Labyrinth's magic begins to work on the viewer right from the start as the opening credits roll to the music of David Bowie. As the camera zooms in we see a girl who is re-enacting her favourite book ‘Labyrinth'. This girl is the film's central character, Sarah (Jennifer Connelly: Dark City, The Rocketeer, Requiem for a Dream). When she arrives home late she has an arguement with her stepmother (Shelly Thompson: Morons from Outer Space, Just like a Woman) over having to babysit her baby brother Toby. When Sarah is left with Toby he begins to cry, a cry that brings Sarah to call for the Goblin King to take him away. This is where Henson's puppet mastery comes into play. There is a wonderful couple of seconds where Sarah, as she is saying the words for the Goblin King to take Toby away, is being listened to by a few a goblins inside her mirror. This is only one of the little ‘cute' scenes in this film that shows that Henson and Lucas can combine ideas to produce such memorable scenes that you will undoubtedly cherish.

When the Goblin King Jareth (David Bowie: The Man Who Fell to Earth) makes his appearance Sarah begs him to give Toby back to her. Eventually the king tells her that if she can solve his labyrinth and get to his castle that lies beyond on the Goblin City within 13hours, she can have Toby back, however if she doesn't Toby has to stay with him forever. Sarah has no choice and accepts his deal.

The first of the Labyrinths characters Sarah comes across is Hoggle, a goblin who likes jewels. This has to be one of the film's most memorable scenes in which Sarah is asking him to help her get into the Labyrinth while Hoggle walks around killing fairies. This scene shows brilliant camera work from Colin Corby and excellent direction from Lucas, as Sarah and Hoggle walk around the entrance of the Labyrinth, which appears to be huge.

Hoggle eventually shows Sarah how to get into the labyrinth. While she is pondering which way to go Trevor Jones's music manages to build up a confined atmosphere which really adds to the film at these early points.

As Sarah walks deeper into the Labyrinth, Lucas switches scenes and brings us into the Goblin Kings castle in which he is singing surrounded by goblins, another spellbinding feat by Jim Henson where goblins appear to be jumping ten foot in the air and throwing Toby in the air aswell.

As Sarah continues through the Labyrinth she encounters more weird and wonderfull characters such as Ludo, the huge beast with a huge heart; Didymus, the dog soldier; The junk lady and of course the blue worm.

When Sarah and her ‘gang' appear before the goblin city within the 13 hour period Jareth calls his goblin soldiers to get rid of them. This is one of the best pre-climax film scenes to come out of Hollywood, brilliant puppetry and almost magical scenery which again is brilliantly shot by Lucas, there is no doubt that there will be at least several bits which you will laugh at and chuckle about later.

When they get to the castle Sarah informs the rest of them that she has to go on alone, a brilliant scene which will bring a tear to your eye. When Sarah climbs the stairs she is faced by lots of staircases which appear to lead no-where. When Jareth appears he points out where Toby is, and Sarah tries to get to him. This scene has been copied but never bettered. Copiers include the 1989 horror film ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child', a very camp horror sequel of a sequel of a sequel of a sequel staring everyones favourite bogeyman.

The film's climax is a one on one confrontation between Sarah and Jareth, which seems to be shot on some sort of astrial plain. This scene produces such memorable lines from both parties especially Jareth. The ending is isn't strong enough to spawn a sequel.

A family/fantasy film, which appeals to children and parents, that has a plot is very hard to find today. So if you haven't already seen this film you must make it your priority to see it, regardless of your age, because everyone still has a young child within them.
  • swan_g317 July 2005
    This movie has been a favorite of mine since I discovered it in my own adolescence in the late 90s, on Disney and later VHS and DVD. It was such a frequent feature in my home that my own mother was probably ready to wish me away to the goblins, just to stop the torture...a feeling I can now relate to as my own son has adored this movie practically since birth. To the tune of three repetitions a day at times. The timeless lesson of 'be careful what you wish for' is superbly taught here by Jim Henson and crew in the tale of Sarah (Jennifer Connely,) a bratty teen who wishes her baby brother away to the goblins, then has to accept the challenge of the Goblin King (David Bowie) to win him back. Along the way she makes new friends and learn that not only does the universe not revolve around her, but that life is not always fair. David Bowie's music is superb, from the amusing 'Dance Magic', to the whimsical, if slightly oddball 'Fire Gang' and the romantic 'World Falls Down' Each song adds a wonderful new piece of enjoyment to the movie as well as a new facet to the Goblin King and the world he rules. While this movie may be perceived as a kid's film, it is truly one for any age.
  • muerta25 May 2006
    Me and my fellow goblins are basically in love with this movie. David Bowie is a dreamboat and demonstrates unspeakable talent in both his acting and his singing... and dancing. I know many women who, after seeing the movie, have developed obsessive crushes on David. We sometimes have parties themed around the movie to celebrate its excellence. It's also a great icebreaker when trying to hook up with men. I guarantee that you will love it! Here is a breakdown of the plot: An ugly girl named Sarah is wishing doom upon her baby brother, so naturally, the Goblin King comes to the rescue, kidnapping the infant. Jareth (Bowie) dances lovingly with the lucky baby and his devilish minions, while unfortunate Sarah has to find her way through the conundrum that is the Labyrinth. She comes upon many mysterious creatures. Some (like me and my friends) have the ability to take off their heads and throw them around. Sarah meets "helping hands" and magical dogs. There is also a beautiful romance written into this adventurous tale. The love between Jareth and Sarah is the purest love I have ever witnessed, and don't quote me on this, but sometimes I imagine I am Sarah... standing on the stair-steps, waiting for Jareth's body to defy gravity and walk up from his position standing on the ceiling underneath the platform. I won't spoil the ending, so I have not checked the "spoiler" check-box.
  • This is my go to movie...im completely nostalgic over it. In my opinion its perfection. theres not much more i can say, its glitters,80s, adventure...and one hell of a sexy goblin king. I grew up with this movie and it is , to me, everything. watch it....decide for yourself
  • This movie is absolutely amazing. The art and puppeteering was truly perfect. I watch this movie quite often and it never gets old. Everything about it is so detailed and beautiful, the actors and actresses fit their roles well, and the puppets are so amazing they all seem like real creatures. Labyrinth is an amazing movie filled with suspense and fun and I would recommend it to everyone.
  • First of all i will start with i watched this movie as a child numerous times and absolutely loved it.

16 years on i decided to watch it again, after contemplating it might ruin my memory of the film it didn't.

But i will say this as a child watching the Labyrinth it was magical and a tad creepy not so much that it would give you nightmares, but enough creepiness considering it's about a goblin king (David Bowie) who wants to turn the baby he has taken into a goblin.

Jennifer Connelly gave a good performance plus she is cute as the whiny "It's not fair" teen. Sarah is plunging in puberty — that all of it might be going on in her dreams. That her companions on this journey are merely living versions of her most reassuring bedroom toys. When she departs the land, she is finally departing childhood.

Of course i was not thinking this as a child, it was just a fantastic world full of puppets. It does seem to get a little aimless at times and many encounters come to nothing. Yet the puppetry is nothing short of genius from the mind of Jim Henson.

Yes the effects are dated but so are some of the classics that revered by most.

If you never watched this film as a child i think you missed out, watching it as an adult will never be the same but it still enjoyable. make sure you show this to your kids as I know I will.
  • I have seen this film as a child and just recently watched it again. I saw a lot of truth in it. People lead you into this confusion of the emotional labyrinth and you run and jump through hoops until you can tell them "you have no power over me". How often we do this with people and with ourselves.

Actions, thoughts, words, emotions etc create confusion, fear, anxiety within us that takes a position of power over us. It is only when we realize that we can claim power over these things at any time that we are truly free. Until then we journey over the same steps over and over again confused and lost.

It is also a film about the meaning of friendship. That those true to us will always be there. Before her main furry friends disappear from her room they say to her "but if you need us, if you really need us"

and she rejoices with them and her new found freedom.
    I admire this movie. Jim Henson and his gang, responsible for the Muppets and all the Muppet shows, did a wonderful job with characterizations and the sets. But honestly, I saw it for the then 14 year old Jennifer Connelly (the DVD extras make it clear she was 14 during filming) who has grown up to be one our finest, and most attractive, actresses 20 years later.

Connelly plays Sarah who resents having to baby sit too often for her crying little half-brother. So, she wishes the goblins would come and take him away. Her wish is granted, and only then does she realize how bad she was, and the whole movie then becomes her quest to retrieve the baby. David Bowie is superb as Jareth the Goblin King, and to get the baby back Sarah must get to his home, the castle on the hill, before 13 O'clock. The difficulty is the labyrinth of walls and other obstacles between Sarah and the castle.

Most of the other characters are muppets that end up hindering or helping Sarah, depending on how quick her thinking is. Connelly does a good job as Sarah, and it is just fun to see her in an early role. Those who are fans of muppets and Henson projects likely think this is a superb movie. Others will come away a bit bored.

SPOILERS. Sarah does make it to the castle right before 13 O'clock, and is transported back home where the baby now sleeps comfortably. But it isn't a dream, as various muppet characters end up there with her too. And, just in time before parents returned at midnight, to find all is well.
  • grendelkhan7 September 2006
    Labrynth is a tremendously engaging film which served to showcase the young talents of Jenifer Connelly, as well as highlight those of David Bowie. The Henson crew is well represented in the many memorable characters, as well as Brian Froud's imaginative designs.

The story borrows heavily from both Peter Pan and the Wizard of Oz, where a young girl is whisked away to a fantasy world, or is she? Is it all in her imagination, or is her imagination so powerful that it has created a living world?

Young Sarah feels put upon, having to watch her baby brother and being pulled from her fantasy world into a much darker and less satisfying reality. Typical teenage stuff. She makes a poorly chosen wish, and lives to regret it. She must enter her fantasy realm, and soon finds it is far more dangerous than in her make believe games. She is helped along the way by an odd assortment of creatures, but her charm and intelligence sees her through, despite the efforts of the seductive Goblin King.

Labrynth encompasses the greatness of fairy tales; the metaphors for the maturing process, the hidden depths of the characters, the primordial terror. It also features the wizardry of the Henson team, with their wonderfully life-like creatures. The muppet feel is at first jarring, but quickly sucks you in. You soon forget they are puppets and think of them as real creatures.

Jennifer Connelly makes a spectacular debut as a lead (she had a few films under her belt), definitely hinting at her success to come. She seems equally mature and innocent, and is a vision of youthful beauty. David Bowie is the perfect choice for the Goblin King; a unique presence, seductive and repellent. The various character performers give full personalities to their puppets, allowing you to forget that they are puppets.

The music is memorable, although a few pieces can be a bit annoying. Some of Bowie's music doesn't quite work, but it does mesh with the story.

Labrynth is a wonderful fantasy film and a great family film. There are real scares throughout, but also memorable characters and engaging music. This is the type of family entertainment that inspires youthful imagination, rather than just providing a diversion for and hour or so.