• Can't tell you exactly why this series caught the imaginations of so many; it probably differs for each person. But this was a winner of a show in a style I've not seen since. It was fantasy, true enough, but it addressed many contemporary issues with a skill seldom seen in TV. The love story was believable, the acting was outstanding, and the minor characters were generally engaging. This was a show for romantics, and for those who believe in the power of love--not just between lovers, but between family and friends, and those whose love spills over into actions. Good fought evil in the grimy real world as well as in fantastic battles against shadowy adversaries. And for those of us who like to pretend that the unknown really is just around the corner--this was our show. Requiescat in pace.
  • I was most certainly not the in the demographic this show was aimed at and I am less so now. Yet, I watched it in first run and I am now watching it on DVD. I was captivated the first time and I am again.

I am now a 58 year old married male. Maybe it was understandable to have loved the series at the end of the eighties, but now? In the eighties I was newly married and so it was excusable for me to be entranced by a fantasy romance. However, after 24 years of marriage the romance of a new marriage is long over and the work of a marriage ongoing. So, it would seem unlikely that I could be drawn in by television romance once again. No other show has done that over the years.

For me that is the magic of this series. I really don't need to analyze plot lines, sets, lighting or direction. It is simply a beautiful story. Both then and now and it still can touch my heart.
  • There's a reason why "Beauty and the Beast" still holds a place in its legions of fans' hearts after all these years: it's a tender, earnest, lovely little series that celebrates a love that goes beyond shallow expectations. This isn't "The O.C.", where it's only a matter of time before the bland, attractive leads jump in the sack. "Beauty and the Beast" chronicles the unique, powerful love between plucky assistant attorney Catherine (Linda Hamilton) and Vincent (spellbinding Ron Perlman), a courageous, compassionate man-beast. Because they live in two different worlds (she in the bustling world "Above", he in the secret utopia of "Below"), they cannot have a real life together, but, as Catherine assures us in the opening credits, they "will never, ever be apart". Today's jaded viewers might scoff at the fact that Catherine and Vincent never go further than hugs and hand-holding in their relationship, but you know what? Catherine and Vincent express more joy, passion, respect and love in their very first embrace in the pilot episode than all the bed-hopping in the six seasons of "Dawson's Creek". Hamilton is appealing as Catherine, making her strong and vulnerable at the same time. Perlman is unforgettable as Vincent. Unhindered by the prosthetic make-up on his face, he expresses layers of complex emotions with just his eyes. He brings warmth, integrity, and, yes, beauty to a role that even Perlman himself has said is "too good to be real". He deservedly won and Emmy and a Golden Globe. "Beauty and the Beast" is now on DVD for all to discover or re-discover the most innocent, sincere love story ever on TV.
  • The brilliance of this series was its romance and its excellent early stories. We could entirely believe that this could happen in New York -- except that any New Yorker would tell you that there are people far stranger than Vincent walking the streets. We were never told how he came to be as he is, but it almost didn't matter. I don't think it was any accident that he had such a feline appearance.

This series was so badly misunderstood and mishandled by its parent network that I am not surprised it lasted only two seasons. Season 3 wasn't even the same program in my book. CBS seemed terribly upset with the fact that its audience was almost entirely female. Was that why the body count of season 3 was higher than in a Bruce Willis movie?

The worst mistake CBS ever made was to let Linda Hamilton leave after two seasons. Had the network been intelligent enough, they could have talked her into a third season, ending it with the fairytale ending -- she kisses Vincent for real (something CBS was VERY afraid of, but the fans would have loved) and have him turn into a human prince. That would have given it the magical ending it deserved.
  • I don't think there is any movie or series that made Linda look so beautifully stunning than in Beauty and the Beast. She was rendered simply beautiful and her acting was very reaching and touching. Ron Perlman was very masculine and ruggedly sexy under all that makeup. I am sure the two of them enjoyed themselves immensely because it translated through their performances to the viewer. I am only sorry that the series ended after only 3 seasons.
  • I found this show by accident one Friday night and became hooked immediately. Here was an intelligent, well-acted program for adults. It was not sexually explicit, nor gratuitously violent. It had something most TV shows do not have: Romance.

Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman were absolutely perfect together as the beautiful lawyer who lives above and Ron Perlman as the "hideous" beast whose curse is that he is ugly on the outside and who never gets a chance to reveal his inner beauty until he saves Catherine. Knowing how tormented he was because of his deformities was heart-breaking and yet he blossomed as he and Catherine found real love.

Normally, I would be pleased when an actress leaves a show to spend time with her son, as Miss Hamilton did. I'm all for women staying home to be with their children over spending time at a carer; at risk of being hopelessly old-fashioned, I believe women with children should stay home to care for them. However, in this case, it was one of her worst decisions because her marriage to the father of this child fizzled. She later had a child and then married James Cameron of "Titanic" fame, only to lose him to a star of that overblown ocean-going vehicle. She did have success with the Terminator movies but those were nothing but Schwarzenegger fests. Meanwhile B&B also suffered because they just couldn't find a woman to replace Catherine. Diana just didn't have it.

The fact that the show lasted 3 seasons (2 with Miss Hamilton) is a testament to its quality. Of course, we can't have quality on TV - there's not enough T&A, violence, or out and out stupidity (think Jessica Simpson here). But for the 3 years this show was on, it was a real Friday night Feast. And I do thank Mr. Perlman and Miss Hamilton for the years they gave us and I thank Mr. Perlman for the CD of music and poetry from the show. It's still heart-wrenchingly beautiful to listen to Vincent as he narrates works by Matthew Arnold, e.e. cummings and, of course, the King of all poetry, plays and prose, Mr. William Shakespeare.

It would be a miracle if CBS were to air a "reunion" movie but I think there will be a tropical heat wave in the South Pole before that happens. Too bad - it sure beats the stupidity of such shows as The Newlyweds, starring the aforementioned Jessica Simpson, or Reality TV, American Idol and the other slime that passes for decent television. Meanwhile, I'll be content with VHS copies of B&B or I'll wait patiently until the DVDs come out.
  • Ah Beauty and the Beast - just stringing those two beautiful words together is all I need to recall tunnels to mind. Tunnels and that other world, the world apart from Catherine's, and a world apart from mine. An Elysium where all fans of Beauty and the Beast would simply choose to reside if it actually existed. Truly we would all opt to be helpers and especially so if it meant that anything we could advise would see that Vincent and Catherine have their happy life.

Beauty and the Beast was for me the beginning of all my own dreams, as joining one of the British fan clubs associated with the show I began writing fan fiction and now after having written over 100 stories about my favourite characters I have gained the confidence and the experience to submit other work for publication and have also produced some children's books that are published in the USA.

I know my life has been enriched by Beauty and the Beast, the storylines and the whole concept of life beneath the New York City streets where love prevails is so beautiful and enchanting that I simply want to be there among the characters that I now view as among the very best friends that I have ever had. And it doesn't rest there, as the very directors and actors and actresses themselves that played the parts within Beauty and the Beast have also become good friends to all that have met them at B&B conventions and reunions not to mention the whole new family that has sprung up among the fans where just like the show we endeavour to be family - as one.

In short this show is everything that is good about human kind and it is desperately needed more now than ever before so that it might shape the future of the younger generation today just as it shaped the lives of the fans it has now - fourteen years after it went off air. So bring back Beauty and the Beast - nothing will ever come close.
  • I thought this television series was well done and family oriented. Yes, it was overly romantic and may have been "sappy" to some viewers; but that was a large part of its appeal then and still is today. I was very surprised that this series was not on DVD.

It is probably better for family viewing than half the material that is out on DVD from a television series. If there are plans to release "Beauty and The Beast" on DVD, it should be released immediately and is long over due. I'm sure that there are many people out there who have forgotten about this series like myself, due to it not being shown on cable or satellite television in many viewing areas. Yet, we have not forgotten the wonderful exchanges between two (2) character's who had a romantic chemistry and truly grew to love each other; a love that our current society needs to find a lot more of.

If you here anything regarding the DVD collection please post info or drop me a line. Thank you.
    Beauty and the Beast, starring Hamilton and Perlman, is an important, indeed revealing tale of many, many truths.

Have you ever thought to yourself, 'There is something, terribly wrong with this world' and wondered what could be done?

Vincent and Catherine are phenomenal characters and the whole series, upon first viewing this show over the last two weeks, appears to revolve around the love of these two characters.

Look...Deeper!

Perhaps most women, and some 'civilized' men, can appreciate the quality of this T.V. series for what it actually does. It challenges and educates about gender roles, allowing for a woman to show strength and to be confident in her femininity, yet resilient and capable, even in violent scenes. In one artful sweep this series allows for her to co-exist, interdependently – successfully, with an empathic, physically powerful but conscionable masculine force. This show challenges the legitimacy of our current societal state (particularly in the U.S. and somewhat in Canada), showing the audience that another world is possible. We are left aware rather than ignorant of the issues that still pervade our world. We are not all Gabriels in this world, nor are we all Vincents. But we were all newborns, once upon a time; once, we all were the unlimited possibilities and hopes of those before us and of our own futures. By looking deeper at those sub-plots of corruption, and how 'the love of money is the root of all evil', juxtaposed against the respect, compassion and yes, EMPATHY, that Vincent represents, we are jarred into awareness. You may think me a socialist! Nay, I am but one person who can see the value of having my needs met, but not at the expense of other's needs. A simple life in the tunnels is appealing, over the insanity of a world where "fear" rules us all (S1E2); fear of terrorist attacks (that may or may not be backed by corrupt government (also featured in S2&S3 - E. Birch sub-plot)), and the tragic, (and sadly condoned or ignored by so many, too many), inexcusable failings of our societal institutional structures. We would demand our right to bear arms (despite the reality that such weapons lead to death – as Father would likely agree) over the right to life and medical care of each person. Some would make the death of a foetus more reprehensible than the total general lack of care for our fellow human-beings once they are born. Pardon me for emphasizing the principles Vincent's world seems to exist by, that each person, poor, weak, ill, strong, wealthy, of all walks of life, each feels loves, bleeds, hates, can rise or fall, has fears and dreams. As we are, we are all alone. Vincent's world represents an alternative to being alone, where even a beast of inhuman characteristics can be treated as an equal, and loved as a son, a brother, a friend...a human being. LOVE is not 'sappy'. But violence and brutality beget more violence and brutality. This series shows this truth.

I am researching all Beauty and the Beast tales published to date for my own series of stories/screen-plays and I discovered this show mere weeks ago. Initially, by the end of my first viewing of the whole series, I hated - a strong word for me - how season three started and most of its storyline. It ruined all of my hopes and dreams for a world that is possible, (perhaps not Beauty and her Beast, though, by my own admission this is my reality, too, in a way) the dreams of a world of respect, appreciation, equality and acceptance. I actually wept and felt anger and an absolute feeling of denial for days, a testament to writers and the strength of their characters. Catherine's demise was anti-climactic, and hateful. But when one considers reality, as it is, S3 was beautiful, painful, poignant, and taught us many truths, for it captured the lack of "Heart" in our modern neoliberal world, a world that is ruled by a select few (Gabriels) who would destroy, and do destroy, thousands of Catherine Chandlers all over the world, every day. By the end of my second viewing of this series, I can now see that it was a brave and challenging way to conclude a story that did - and does - reach so many. I still find S3 to be disastrous to this series, but, I have hopes that a new series will be produced, soon, one that will take this original series and build upon lessons learned; start afresh with new, yet similar characters, and delve deeper. The time is ripe - the people desire a revitalized story that represents the now, while showing a world that we may be going towards, one that echoes back to Catherine and Vincent's world. A new take, made in a modern context and which would be more accommodating of the modern needs of those who seek more action, visual effects, and heightened levels of sexual tension. We want to see another world and maybe, learn how we can make our own possible. In part this is what I am doing, or hoping to work on, one day. We need stories like B&tB in order to remember what is important.

Truth, Compassion, Empathy, Equality, and Love, – Hope.
  • When it became obvious that this series, which obviously aspired to be the next Star Trek (not just a TV show but a cult, complete with movies, action figures, conventions, t-shirts, books, calendars, etc.) had die-hard fans but not enough of them to sustain the phenomenon, I recall that CBS started running a little promotional blurb for it. The blurb was not very well done, but in any case concluded with the remark: "Are you ready for a different kind of passion?"

For good or ill, most people weren't. There's a lesson here, or several. I wish I knew what that message was. But here are some thoughts.

(1) We are told that the audience was heavily female. This is not at all surprising, since it's women who read what is called "romance", which its opponents call "mush": the lovers talking in flowery, quasi-religious language about their relationships; no development or change in the characters; and an absolute lack of humor. You find this sort of thing profound or silly, and in our society it seems the majority find it silly. Statistics suggest that significantly more women than men find it profound. This says something weird about our society, although (I repeat) I don't know exactly WHAT it says. That cheesy popular guru who writes about Mars and Venus appears not to know the half of it.

(2) On the other hand, a significant portion of our population likes "fantasy" (as opposed to "romance" in the narrow sense), as is proved by the popularity of the Lord of the Rings films. This series is just about the only unashamed fantasy (for adults) which TV seems to have produced with a mass audience in mind and without intending satire, a takeoff, or "camp." Which is, I suppose, why the promoters of this series thought they had a chance.

(3) I'm not a fan of what is called "romance" (few men are, as I've pointed out); in fact, the overly solemn Winter's Tale is the only Shakespeare play I don't like. And I don't especially like "fantasy", with a few exceptions. But I found this series strangely watchable, and others of my temperament have said the same. Few of the episodes had a plot worthy of the name, but it was often pleasant to hear Ron Perlman reciting poetry. The dialog had a kind of elegance to it, not at all common in TV, which I admit to enjoying. Sort of like enjoying opera, maybe. And Perlman (who from all accounts did take Beauty and the Beast very seriously) did a wonderful a job of acting, through all that getup.

(4) One fine day, Linda Hamilton decided she wasn't going to spend the rest of her life playing this goody-goody role, trying to breathe life into what she must have begun to see as rather bland and stilted dialog and a relationship which never changed or developed. I suppose it was at this point that the producers made a desperate effort to save the show by altering the whole thing to a dark, moody piece with suggestions of "The Shadow" or the "Dark Knight" side of Batman. And BANG, the last season was a totally different concept, in these terms: (a) there is violence and villainy, the nocturnal creep Gabriel, and in one episode Gabriel's Terminator-style henchman, all of which a lot of the original fans found disturbing; (b) Vincent and Catherine have a baby, which again grated on fans' nerves after they'd been hit over the head for two seasons with how platonic their relationship had been (c) bad symbolism, as when Diana the policewoman announces "This is Catherine Chandler's gun!" before shooting Gabriel in cold blood, as if Catherine had been the type who would have wanted revenge in any case; and so on.

So what is "A different kind of passion"? Well, for one thing, the platonic nature of the Vincent-Catherine relationship, which recalls such images as the knight who prefers to worship his lady chastely, from afar, rather than "defile" her. When women want their horny male companions to leave them alone, they say things like "Let's not ruin our friendship" and "You're making me uncomfortable." Well, maybe men should brood on that a little, and ask why so many female reviewers of this series are saying things like "Vincent is the greatest", "I'd love to have a man like Vincent", etc., and follow that up by asking what Vincent's got that we haven't. I'm serious. (A Don Juan could be defined as a jerk who PRETENDS to be "like Vincent" in order to control women, wouldn't you say?)

The last season, with its overthrow of many of the series' basic assumptions, shows how confused things can get when you wed a concept like Beauty and the Beast (which inherently caters to a niche audience) to TV (which inherently seeks a common denominator in its fans). The irony is that this show still has such a following. Not hard to understand, but ironic, that the fans of this series still hold their conventions, StarTrek style, and still hope for a movie. I wish them well.

And I hope that if someone who does figure out the significance of this series' failed attempt to "catch on" will be kind enough to enter a review at IMDb.

Indeed, maybe there's a good reason why Vincent and Catherine never kissed (leaving aside the last season, which doesn't count). What a drag it would be if the kiss turned him into a handsome prince! He would simply cease to be The Beast and would no longer concern us. Who would want Don Quixote without his delusions, or the Flying Dutchman with no curse on him? ... So here, at the end of my comments, we come at last to the beginning of the subject.

"Beauty and the Beast will be continued"? No kidding.
    I loved this show. I would love for the story to somehow continue. It's a fantasy, so why can't Catherine someway return. It's television, anything is possible with tele- vision. I'm all for Catherines return and for those who aren't, change the channel. I know that many people feel the same as I. No-one has come up with anything better since.
  • Believe it or not when I was a kid I never heard of the Fairy Tale "Beauty and the Beast" until I ran into this show. There have been so many adaptations of this classic tale throughout the years which is part of why it's so timeless. Believe it or not this is probably my favorite version since it was the first for me and still the best. It's one of my favorite TV shows of all time and live action fantasy TV shows which there are unfortunately very few of. The show is sort of a Neil Gaiman like fantasy tale since like with the author it's a fantasy that's set in modern times, which is great because it gave it an accessible feel and I don't feel modern time in the fantasy genre is tackled very much, usually most fantasy is set in either the past, an alien planet or future.

The music is great most are orchastratic tunes, I really love that theme song which I think is just beautiful, it has a romantic, haunting, and somber tone to it.

I really love the underground world that is constructed, it's uncannily similar to the world in Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere". I really love the vastness of that world, wondering what on the next turn or beyond that tunnel. It just strangely beautiful it looks like a place where anything is possible and has a great amount of mystery and depth. And from what it has and certain customs it's also one that looks kinda post medieval; it's one step in the past but also one step in our reality. I also like that there is a strong sense of community in that underground world that unfortunately the world above has yet to achieve. There is also a conflicting but indivisible dynamic between both the up and down worlds, it kinda reflects Catherine and Vincent's relationship how despite difference both worlds need each other to exist.

However what really made the show of course was the relationship between both Catherine and Vincent. The chemistry between them is just beautiful because even though it's platonic but it always gradually develops. Their interaction is just sweet, you really feel like their bonding and there are sparks flying. Whenever their in physical distance together it doesn't feel strange at all but right.

Linda Hamilton one of my favorite actresses, this is one of my favorite roles from her. The Catherine character is just beautiful inside and out. I love that she's a strong, independent, highly intellect woman. She can hold her own against danger so she's not some stereotypical damsel in distress.

Vincent played by one of my favorite actors Ron Peralman, this believe it or not is my favorite role from him. The make up work by one of my favorite make up artists Rick Baker is great. Vincent looks like he could be one of the humanoid cats in the cartoon show "Thundercats", or a mutant from the "X-Men" movies, he's practically a humanoid lion. I thought that was a great design choice because despite inhuman he's pleasant looking, I feel in a way it reflect his persona where he's a persona that isn't just strong physically but emotionally, as they says strong emotions are an untamed beast (no pun intended). You can say that the show is almost a bit of a superhero show also (I said a bit) since Vincent has became a protector of both the underground world and above ground. There is action, it's not exactly wall to wall but it's good all the same, whenever we see Vincent taking action I think it's cool, just seeing him beat the crap and go animalistic on scum that had it coming.

However what really makes his character you really like and feel pathos for. The feelings he has for Catherine are very human, which makes the show both touching and at times heart wrenching. At times you can sense he's in pain, longing and emotional acheing. Despite knowing and accepting he's an outsider you can tell he longs to be with Cathrine above ground, be like any other human being that walks the street just to be with her.

Catherine at times longs to be with him, as well as be part of the world underground despite her little understanding of it and at times still grounded in her own. In a way her going back and forth in the worlds is sort of reminiscent of the mythology of Persephone, whom grew to love Hades and his world but still loves her world.

And the show has a main villain Paracelcus played well by the late great Tony Jay, he's one of my favorite fictional villains. I remember when I was a kid this guy scared me, because he was so evil, sadistic, ruthless, had a whole scumbag army backing him up, wants to conquer both the underground and if possible above ground world. But also just wants to simply destroy everything that was innocent and beautiful just because he can. Heck that tone of his voice, I felt added to his menace, certain things he said and how he said them just gave me chills. To me Paracelcus and some of the scum from both above and below ground are the real beasts of the show. To me if you defile or take life for naught then your not truly human.

The show still retains the theme from the fairy tale, that what is inside a person is truly beautiful. But also I feel the other theme in both the show and fairy tale, is about the importance of connection and togetherness. To me part of what love is, is one always needing the other, their can never be true community if one is alone.

Just like the fairy tale, this show is timeless.

Rating: 4 stars
  • Davismomof1611 September 2018
    I found this show about 2 months ago while scrolling Amazon Prime and fell in love QUICK. I loved the emotions between Katherine and Vincent and was in awe at how they could love so deeply and yet not feel the need to jumo in bed together to show each other that love.. I have dragged more than one of my family memebers in to watch an episode that I just HAD to share. "Orphans" was my favorite as it touched on so many emotions I myself had when my father passed in 2009. I was not in love with Season 3 and just hold out hope that maybe there can be a new lease on the show. (Hey , I can dream, right ).I just can't get into and enjoy the re-make they did- it just was NOT my Katherine and Vincent. The show ended in what felt like was mid-season seeing as how most Seasons had 30 ish episodes and Season 3 barely hit the teens. I so rarely watch TV shows but will be gladly rewatching this one- many times I am sure.
  • This show is my favorite TV show of all time. It's rich and complex, and deals with a variety of issues and perspectives. I'm a third season fan, which puts me a little out of the loop with most of the fans, but third season deals with Vincent's loss of Catherine, his quest for his son, and it even hints at him learning to love someone again. The show is always well-written and acted, with a great supporting cast. The only weak spot is near the end of the second season, when the show, in my opinion, deals too much with Vincent's "inner demons." Otherwise, it's an intriguing, romantic, exciting show.
  • Beauty and the Beast was the best show that I have ever watched. It took me away for one hour a week, to a fantasy place, and I never wanted to return. I fell in love with Catherine and Vincent the first time that I saw them, I always wished that I could be Catherine, even just for one second to hear that beautiful voice and to touch that beautiful face. I have every episode taped, and I watch it at least once a day,Catherine and Vincent are like an addiction to me, the more I see of them, the more i have to have them, I even have my four year old grandaughter hooked on B&B, you can,t say anything bad about Vincent and Catherine. To me, Beauty and the Beast will always be in my heart. I really hurt when they took it off the air. I really would like to see them do a re-make of the series, with the same characters. This is my true feelings about the series, Beauty and the Beast
    Beauty and the Beast tv series is one of the best tv show made to date. The first 2 seasons is really very nice and romantic. The lightings and story are great. I like the chemistry of the actors who played Catherine and Vincent. It was shown twice here in my country but I only got to watch it the 2nd time when I was already in highschool since I was just 9 year old when it was first shown. Up to know I still know word for word the opening words being said by the two lead stars at the start of the show. It's truly one of the most romantic tv series. Maybe they can continue the series by starting that Catherine is not really dead and just went into hiding or kidnapped maybe.
    What an intriguing idea this was for a show? A retelling of the classic fairytale set in 1980's New York City.

Ron Pearlmen and the beautiful Linda Hamilton did a great job as Vincent and Catherine. Vincent lived below the streets of New York with other outcasts. One day Catherine Chandler (played by Linda Hamilton) was left for dead after an attack and was nursed back to health by Vincent. They soon fell in love and throughout the show their bond became stronger and stronger despite numerous obstacles. Catherine loved Vincent for what he was like inside-and not what he looked like outside. This is a good lesson for all of us.

The stories were great throughout and Pearlman and Hamilton were supported by a great supporting cast such as Edward Albert, Jay Acovone and Roy Dotrice. There was always plenty of action throughout and Vincent came to Catherine's rescue numerous times dishing out some pain to the bad guys.

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD) Then we came to season 3. Season 3 had it's good points and bad points. In season 3 there was quite a bit of tension and Edward Albert and Jay Acovone had more prominent roles. There was also a villain called Gabriel played by Stephen McHattie. Gabriel was a brilliant villain, totally evil. There were also some good episodes such as one starring Lance Henrikson as a hitman out to kill a wounded Vincent.

However, Catherine Chandler was killed at the beginning of season 3. This started the death knell for the show. How can there be a Beauty and the Beast without a Beauty? Jo Anderson was brought in playing Diana Bennett who was investigating Catherine's death but it was purely platonic between her and Vincent (Obviously love is not exchangeable). Diana and Vincent eventually caught up with the men behind Catherine's death and they were good episodes.

However, once all that was resolved the show ended after two episodes. Vincent and Diana had caught Catherine's killer so there was nowhere for the show to go. We obviously couldn't have had Vincent and Diana falling in love. It would have been immoral and unrealistic.

All in all, Beauty and the Beast was a fine show and overall, it was a very deep show about love. It was unique and ahead of it's time in my opinion and worth tracking down on video.
  • I remember watching this show when I was 13 with my mother. This show was a great display that two people who love each other can be together no matter what their circumstances are or what there backgrounds are. Further, although Vincent was did not look like the average man, but he was smart, strong, loving and had a wonderful spirit. Most women are looking for a man like him. What he looked like did not bother me at all. Vincent was always their to protect and defend Catherine in any way he could. Their bond was so strong that they knew when each other was in distress. This show was realistic and did focus on many issues that exist today. For example, both Vincent and Catherine had past relationships, but they unlike many people in the real world were honest with each other even if what they said may have hurt them. I watched every episode that was on Netflix, and I was hooked. I only wish they could have ended the show in a better way then they did. The acting was excellent and I wish their were more shows like this. This show was a great adventure.
    Spoilers throughout

This is my all time favorite TV series.

It was an ensable show that focused on people caring about each other and taking care of each other.

Ron Perlman is wonderful as Vincent (the Beast). He is kind and gentle. In many ways he is the perfect man. His major problem is that people are afraid of things they don't understand.

The show got dark in the third season. With the murder of Catherine, it became very bloody for awhile and, by the time they realized that this is not the way the fans wanted the show to go,it was too late.
    Yes Beauty and the Beast is the best TV-series. I cried so very much when Vincent lost Catherine, and o boy did i hate gabriel for killing her and steel vincent and catherines son. And it was a major disaster when they replaced catherine with Diane Bennet. NO CAN DO. Ron Perlman was fantastic at Vincent. A so sensitive and gentle man as vincent is very rare in real life, he had the biggest hart. Does anyone know where to get the music? especially The first time i loved for ever. It's so beautiful. I am glad to here that the series soon will be available on DVD, I just hope that i will come to denmark too. Mouse was a very interesting person too.
    "Beauty and the Beast" was, and remains, TV brilliance. Some TV shows lock themselves into the decade they were created, "Beauty and the Beast" managed to make its time period almost gray. Ron Koslow created a show where love is its foundation. The weekly story lines were entertaining enough, but each episode went back to the love Catherine and Vincent shared. That's what this show was about, the love between two individuals, different as they are. Before I wrote this review I went on ahead and clicked the "spoiler" box because if someone reveals a spoiler without warning people that reviewer will be forever blacklisted. However, I don't really give away any spoilers. One review I just read said that we never truly learn how Vincent became the way he is. I have to disagree with that-- I believe we do learn how he came to be the way he is. It's deep into the series - but is explained by the sinister character Paracelcus and is better explained by Father because Paracelcus was a devious liar and so viewers were led to believe that he lied. However, Father explains it. The main character in this wonderful series is, of course, Catherine. She is truly an amazing and gifted actress. Her emotions, when called for in the scripts are raw and amazingly believable. She truly loved Vincent. There is one particular episode that is close to my heart and it's the episode titled "A Happy Life," it is so beautifully written and Linda Hamilton should have received an Emmy award for it. There is also beautiful classical music sprinkled throughout the series that Catherine and Vincent loved, which also lends to the series being evergreen. The show is very emotionally fulfilling and Ron Koslow had a group of talented writers who managed to create stories that were painful/awful in their humanity/beautiful in their scope. The words the writers created for Vincent's character always allowed him to give sage advice without being preachy. Sure, it's a fantasy world, but this is what GOOD television should be about, not the reality garbage that dominates the airwaves now. TV shows should make us feel good in our hearts, they should make us think, even fantasize, and that's exactly what the beautiful series does. I received the complete series as a gift, and now I will always treasure it. The series set also allows the viewer to occasionally listen to some commentary by Vincent's Ron Perlman and Catherine's Linda Hamilton, they're short, informative and a very nice treat for real fans of this TV show.
  • The beauty of this show is multidimensional. On the surface, yes, a love story between two people who fate brought together and their fight to hold onto a love that people wouldn't understand or accept. But there are so many deeper meanings to many of the episodes -- which probably played a large role in dooming the show. In order to understand these nuances you had to be willing to allow yourself to be pulled into the story, while also having a real grasp to the complexity behind the main characters. The stories, poetry and imagery used in the episodes told a story within a story; extended the story beyond the mere visual details and really gave you pause to think.

It also showed -- for those who took the time to really see -- that love isn't always about carnal desires. It showed that sometimes loving someone means that you have to give up everything. For anyone who has known what true, deep love means, they can relate to the heavy price love can exact. This wasn't a story about fly-by-night or whirlwind romance... It was about those quite moments in a loving relationship where people can just enjoy the quiet moments and be fulfilled... In many ways, it was the story of what love should be. The fact that real intimate moments between Catherine and Vincent were left to insinuation, implication, and imagination was no accident -- it was brilliant.

Unfortunately, the two main characters were so well linked with each other, that once L. Hamilton left the show there was no saving it. The way the story of Catherine and Vincent was told made it so the two characters were so completely linked that losing one would change the other so completely that the show would have to completely change around the remaining character in order for the show to survive. When Linda left, the whole premise of the show went with her because, as loyal followers of the story could attest to, Vincent could never love another. They did try to introduce another character like Catherine, but the chemistry and bond just never worked out. Plus, once father and son were reunited, it was the natural end point to the story...

This show still has a lot of followers because of the uniqueness of it. The depth of the story and complexity of those deeper meanings are so fascinating that you want to watch the episodes again and again... And you will usually come away with new tidbits, deeper understanding, things that really make you think and analyze things every time you watch some of the episodes.
  • SataiDelen3 October 2008
    OK, I've been reading several of the reviews/comments here, and as I'm an adult now (mostly), I forgot for a moment that I was 12 when this series first aired. I certainly never thought of this as an adult or child's program. I simply found the premise of this show fascinating, and I loved the chemistry between Vincent and Catherine (until it got bizarre in the last season when Linda Hamilton left). I also quite simply, fell in love with Vincent, and later came to learn who Ron Perlman was, and have tried to watch him in anything I can get my hands on that isn't too bizarre (a very strange French movie comes to mind on the bizarre scale). Point being, this show reached a far range of viewers of all ages. Why? I wish I knew. I think that tom_amity has some incredible theories and insights, and I was impressed that as a guy (no offense) he, I feel has some very good points.

I also feel that this show was taken in completely the wrong direction in it's last season. Between the forced consummated relationship of Catherine and Vincent, resulting in Catherine's death, and Vincent becoming a father, and the suddenly incredibly violent path that the show took, well, I have to say that I was incredibly confused as to what had transpired between the season finale of season two, and the season opener of season three, and had a very hard time following what was supposed to be going on. I think that it was a mistake to have tried to alter the show so tremendously.

Someone here mentioned that there was no show like this ever again. I happen to think that person was wrong. Another show I watched faithfully after this one, that also seemed to end badly (and also on CBS... pattern anyone?) was Forever Knight. That show to me had very similar elements going on, what with the main character being a kind of freak, and his at-a-distance lover (the gal that worked in the morgue) and how it was obvious that they were attracted to each other, but could not be together. That show too eventually had problems and got a little stranger toward the end.

I would love to know why it's so difficult for networks to accept that which is different but has such great potential? Both of these shows were incredible, and both wound up having a short life, and both wound up going in strange directions before finally burning out.
  • I watched this series episode by episode when it first came out. I recently purchased all 3 seasons on DVD. I watched Season 1 and 2 within a week and loved every moment.

My days are again spent humming the haunting theme music as they were so many years ago. And then I started to watch Season 3, I say started because I remember feeling now as I felt then. What a disappointment the third season was. I made myself skim through it, suffice to say, the magic was gone.

Now I know why I never watched beyond the first episode of the third season.

I would highly recommend that everyone watches Seasons 1 and 2, there has never been a better series and for me, never will be.
  • Beauty and the Beast was amazing..I discovered it all over again recently I bought the 3-disk, and I watch an episode each week...just for fun. I always notice something else interesting. Catherine and Vincent are entertaining. It's nothing more than that. With the music, the poetry, and even the dilemmas Catherine gets herself into. Vincent is kind,loving and his voice...okay, as a woman, you'd have to be numb to not just be happy when he talks. I'd love a remake...but Ron Perlman has to be Vincent...and Catherine...I don't know how they'd handle her role.... Perhaps a movie based on what could have been...and Vincent and Catherine could be older. Hey...it could work. Long live B and B.