• When I think about the programs that my family enjoyed when my brother and I were younger, this one always comes off as the most memorable, mainly because my family spent quality time together watching this show. Now, at 20 years old, this show is still as memorable and holds up against the test of time.

"The Wonder Years" is a period dramedy told from the point-of-view of adult Kevin Arnold (narration of Daniel Stern), and recalls Kevin's adolescence during the turbulent times of the late 1960s and 1970s. Kevin (played brilliantly by Fred Savage) comes of age in suburbia in a neighborhood that many of our parents (including my mom) grew up in. Kevin lives in a ranch house with his parents, Jack (Dan Lauria), an accountant, Norma (Alley Mills) a housewife, and his older siblings, hippie Karen (Olivia D'Abo) and smart-alecky Wayne (Jason Hervey). He has a childhood sweetheart in Gwendolyne "Winnie" Cooper (Danica McKellar), and a best friend in lovable geek Paul Pfeiffer (Josh Saviano). Kevin deals with normal situations that is territorial with adolesence--first loves, heartbreak, middle school, high school, puberty, and growing up. Kevin grows up in uncertain times, much like children are today. Each episode is a chapter in Kevin's life, and follows him between the ages of 13 and 18--the most crucial years of growing up.

When this show was made, they definitely looked at the lives of teenagers. The characters were realistic, and no matter when you grew up, you could relate. Everyone could relate to Kevin, and many felt his adolescent pain. You knew your parents were overburdening, but realized later that they were only trying to help you. Everyone had a sibling like Wayne, and possibly like Karen.

I'm a product of the 1980s, and being born in 1982 put me out of the loop in regard to what the 1960s and 1970s were really like. My parents came of age in this decade, so they easily related to Kevin. The situations were comical, and this show was always good, clean fun. The humor wasn't overburdening, but it was evident, and we always laughed, but it also impacted you and made you think after it was all over. This show premired when my brother and I were only 5, and we watched it with our parents every week until it went off the air. I don't think this show ever was capable of cancellation, but it went out the way it was intended, and it left an indellible impression on this generation. When the reruns returned to television on Nick-at-Nite in 1998, my classmates and I, already in ninth grade, began to watch again. Now, I'm a sophomore in college, and if I can catch the reruns on ABC Family during the week, I'm thrilled. I truly miss this show, and watching reruns brings back great memories.

I don't have a favorite episode or memory--I have many favorite episodes and memories. Two of the moments that I can still remember vividly are when Winnie's older brother died in Vietnam and Kevin and Winnie shared their first kiss, and when Kevin's math teacher died. My mom, brother, and I always used to laugh (and still do) at my dad, who resembles Jack Arnold. We could be talking about something funny during dinner, and my father will sit there, stone-faced, much like Jack always did. I used to love when they'd ask him a question, and he would utter a low growl. While my dad has NEVER done that, he has always resembled Jack. Only now, several years later, he finds it funny that we thought that of him.

This was a wonderful show that never wore out its welcome, and continues to entertain those who catch the reruns. If you have the chance in your hectic day, as I sometimes do, catch a rerun or set your VCR to tape an episode for you. Relive a classic television program that continues to entertain and inspire years later. You certainly won't regret it.
  • mayurdeepz1 November 2004
    I have never had so much fun watching TV before or after "The wonder years". Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper were my friends and I could not possible imagine life without them. So many years after the show ended when I saw Kevin Arnold's pic in one of my friends computer screen NOSTALGIA did HURT. I mean it brought back memories of the yesteryears. It was very easy to relate to everything that Kevin was going through although I was from another world in India. His love interest the cute Winnie Cooper made it all the more interesting. Loved his best friend, though he did look like a nerd. I specially remembered a scene when Kevin kissed Winnie in the beach. Saying this might sound like saying a lot but it is just the truth. Sometimes the show seemed to me more important the books that I studied in school. A tutorial. It will always be close to my heart and fondly remembered. I can assume its like this for many of us around the world. Miss you Kevin.
  • The Wonder Years truly was a great television sitcom in its time,and for those of us who still enjoy the re runs,it is still much loved today.Kevin Arnold was the typical all American teenage boy we all felt close to,even if he was just a character that doe eyed actor Fred Savage brought to life.We followed his daily trials and tribulations,using his experiences to reflect on our own.The sitcom's true to life story lines,comedy,drama and nostalgic tone contributed to the show's success and made watching it enjoyable.The Wonder Years could make you laugh,make you cry,make you remember what it was like to be 12 years old,and in love,as we fondly watched the relationship between Kevin and his dream girl Winnie Cooper,blossom,overcoming all the obstacles along the way.The closing dialogue of this magical sitcom will forever be remembered: Growing up happens in a heartbeat.One day you're in diapers,the next you're gone.But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul.I have fond memories of the Wonder Years,and enjoy watching the re runs.Hopefully the complications will be overcome in the near future,and the magic of this memorable sitcom can be re lived on DVD.
  • With all the hype of reality shows these days, "The Wonder Years" remains one of my favorite "reality-like" shows about growing up. With today's meaningless sex and money-driven reality shows, there are no solid, relevant ones for people who just want to be able to sit back and reminisce what it was like growing up in the suburbs.

The best thing about this show was its remarkable ability to depict all aspects of a teen's everyday life--friends, relationships, family, and self, and how these things can change your entire outlook on yourself and your relationships with others. Even the simplest things make a big difference in life--and this show proves it.

Another wonderful thing about this show is that everybody--no matter how "different" you are--can relate to it. Even though the show surrounded 60's and 70's pop culture, still you can always find some problem or conflict within each episode that correlates with your own life.

Shows like "The Wonder Years" will always outstand the cornucopia of boring reality shows of the ages. It's too bad more shows like this one aren't made these days.
  • This show has an engaging cast with stories set in the 1960s that involved down-to-earth, realistic plots. That's the real wonder of THE WONDER YEARS. It is far superior to most sitcoms because it isn't really a sitcom -- in other words it isn't based on silly situations and lame-brained characters.

The show is about growing up and the discovery of human nature. The writing has a depth unlike that of most TV shows. The humor is genuine, not based on typical TV contrived situations and shallow clowning. This is destined to be one of the classics of TV series.
  • Wonder years for me was about growing up. I can still remember my father and I sitting in the living room watching that magnificent show. My mother on the other hand, couldn't stand the show. I could never tell why. I think that everyone when they were growing up knew a Paul Pieffer, a Winnie Cooper, a Doug Porter, Lisa Berlini, Becky Slater, Eddie Pentti, Charles "Chuck" Coleman, Randy Mitchell, and even a Greg Hobson. We all have experienced those one or two teachers that actually cared about how we did in school. The show can relate to our first crush, first kiss, first car (1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS)still have it BTW. Even our corny school dances. I guess as we get older good things fade away. Although the show might didn't last as long as we would have liked it to, The Wonder Years will forever be a part of me, and may it always stay in my memory.
  • The Wonder Years is an authentic look back into adolesence. In the wonder years we see young Kevin Arnold explore the world of denial, friendship, hate and love. Never in my life have i seen a more perfect depiction of life as a young teen. The hardships with school, friends, your older brother, and the girl that lives on your street; these are all realistic struggles and very easy to identify with. For generations to come, teens will continue to relate to this wonderful show. I will never forget this timeless series of family values and life long lessions; "Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, next you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul."
  • I love this show. I remember when I was five sitting down in front of the tube and watching it, with my eyes wide, and my face stretched to the max with a smile. I can still remember coming home from school and watching it, and clinging on to every word like a good book. This show helped me grow up.
  • I can remember watching Kevin Arnold growing up, from 1988 until the shows end in 1993. This is a show where you can actually say, "Yeah, that happened to me too" at some point in every episode. The episode that relates best to me is the one where Kevin is trying to call the prettiest girl in class, and dials every number but the last one. He is scared of rejection, I suppose. I can remember doing the same thing at that age. And the on again, off again relationship between Kevin and Winnie was priceless, just the way it was "back in the day". I wish there were more shows like this one on now, but we are given the choice now of watching these pathetic reality programs that SUCK, and appear to entertain only the braindead of society (mostly college kids).
  • ABC has always been the purveyor of family comedies, "The Wonder Years" was no exception to the rule!! The difference, however, was the fact that this show was an intuitive doggerel of nostalgia which articulated an acute aspect of the YUPPIE's adolescence!!! Kevin Arnold (Ted Savage) was the perpetually befuddled kid whose predicaments were the focal point of this series, and it was his perspective that this entire show was centered around!! Daniel Stern, known for staring in the terrific movie "Diner", was the little voice inside Kevin that became the adult interpretation to Kevin's childhood chicanery!! The whole genre of the late sixties and early seventies was so astutely depicted on this show, right up to the fact that his mother looked just like Doris Day!! The trials and tribulations of the Arnold family were indeed a harbinger of the encroaching radicalism of American culture... Perhaps, the most impressionable character who effectuated these changing times most plausibly, was the role of Kevin's sister!! Winnie, Kevin's sort of girlfriend, was perhaps the most sensitive relationship in the series.... Looking back at it though, the whole family relationship with the older brother, the mother, the father and the sister as well as the interaction with their friends, were all delicate in their own way... The show illustrated how a comprehensive understanding of every one of the members in your family required a loving dedication to what being a family was all about!! The conception that things are suppose to be one way, and yet, they wound up being quite another, was a painstaking experience for the entire Arnold family!! This was an opportunity for adversity to manifest itself as some constructive element of household unification!! Perenially, this domestic fortitude was portrayed on "The Wonder Years" as an ideological staple!! Perhaps the most compelling aspect of "The Wonder Years" was that it pinpointed the formidable scenario of the true love cliché,(for families) and made it stick!! This was not a hokey case of true love conquering all, rather, an insight to how emotional support evoked an understanding of the bittersweet ordeals in any given domicile which are dealt with properly when everyone cares for one another!! "The Wonder Years" was a fabulous T.V. Show, and ,it came off as being emotionally nurturing and empathetic to the needs of the overly mortgaged YUPPIE, because, it was something for them to reminisce about!! This show was one of my favorite television shows ever!! I do not see it in syndication that much, too bad!! It must be the cable package I have, or my schedule, I would love to see reruns of "The Wonder Years" I think that that would be a lot of fun!!
    Having grown up in the 80's, The Wonder Years easily became my favorite show. I was 13 when it debuted, and it was amazing how I related to it (I think everybody could). I had a nerdy best friend (like Paul - even looked like him!) who I usually ended up sticking up for (I remember giving more than one beat down to people who picked on him when he wasn't watching). I even had a female close friend for all my high school and college years who I was madly in love with, but alas, to her I was never more than just a really good friend. But putting all that aside, the show itself was entertaining and educating. It helped me mature - which is something no TV show does nowadays (I'm so fed up with reality TV, I don't even watch network TV anymore).

To this day, the finale is bittersweet, and for a very insensitive guy, it brings me to tears. To think that after everything they went through, while Winnie became his "first," they did not end up together - just broke my heart(no matter how real that was). The fate of Kevin's dad was sad too, though it seems everything else turned out fine.

The Wonder Years isn't just 80's gold - it's TV gold. Not to sound like an old man, but they don't make TV that good anymore... A modern day reunion would be better than anything on TV nowadays.

As for me - I lost touch with my female friend for many years - she lives in the states but went to Europe for awhile. We've gotten back in touch, and ironically enough, when she returns, I plan to greet her and introducing her to my 8 year old son and wife. One more lesson I learned from The Wonder Years - never underestimate the value of a good friend... And if being a really good friend to someone is as far as a relationship takes you - appreciate what you've got.
  • No matter how many times i see this i can watch it over and over the same episode. I love this show. I've watched it from beginning to end. Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper were my favorite. But i'm sure everybody liked them. I give this show 10/10. I love this show.
  • hnt_dnl27 January 2012
    Retrospectively, I believe THE WONDER YEARS (premiered in 1987) to be a top 10 all time show. The great thing about this show is that it has something for everyone. It evokes memories for two generations of viewers (1) Since it premiered in the late 80s (and carried over into the early 90s), it reminds those of us who were lucky enough to see all the popular shows of the time. For me, some of my favorite shows came out during this era. And (2) Since it's set in the late 60s/early 70s, it vividly evokes a time and place for viewers that lived during that era.

The true genius of The Wonder Years is that regardless of the fact that it was an "80s/90s" show and set in the "60s/70s", it truthfully presented growing pains of it's central character Kevin Arnold (brilliantly played be series star Fred Savage, who was nominated for a Best Actor Emmy for his work). At the time of the show's run, I really overlooked how difficult it must have been for this young actor to carry such a well-written, conceived show. Savage was so good, he should have taken home at least ONE Emmy for his work! The show itself actually took home the Emmy for Best Comedy Series after only it's first SIX episodes! It's like the Emmys actually had foresight and knew this show was going to be special. Too bad they now don't have hindsight and either award the wrong shows are over-award certain shows and actors to the detriment of other great shows and actors.

Savage was just so good in this role, as good or better than many adult actors. Another brilliant stroke of genius that made this show work was the narration by an unseen-only heard Daniel Stern (voice of the adult Kevin). When I first watched the show, I thought the narration was a bit much at times, but in re-watching old eps, the narration is a huge reason that many scenes and moments worked. The intermingling of the narrator dialogue (Kevin's future inner voice) with Kevin's situation at the time was perfectly done, with just the right doses of humor, sarcasm, wit, and gravitas.

Savage was working with a great supporting cast: Dan Lauria and Alley Mills (as Kevin's parents Jack and Norma Arnold), Jason Hervey (as Kevin's butthead of a big brother Wayne!), Olivia D'abo (as Kevin's flower-child sister Karen, the oldest of the siblings), Josh Saviano (as Kevin's nerdy best friend Paul), and Danica McKellar (as Kevin's eternal youthful infatuation and first love Winnie Cooper). These actors played well off of Savage and the show did a masterful job of always telling the story from Kevin's point of view, with the other characters reactionary, but at the same time, giving us glimpses into their personalities.

The Wonder Years touched upon pretty much every big theme of a pre-teen/teenager's life: puberty, Kevin's crushes on girls and one of his teachers, the sibling rivalry between Kevin and Wayne, Kevin's being bullied (ironically mostly from a girl, the recurring character Becky!), summer camp, first date, Kevin running for class president, Kevin's perspective on his parents, etc., but also issues of the time like the Vietnam War. The main thing is that Kevin was always portrayed as a normal kid with normal kid issues, flaws, thoughts, behavior, but it was always presented in a poignant, humorous, heartwarming manner. After all these years, the show doesn't even look dated at all! Capturing the essence of the era that it's set in, coming out at a time when television entertainment was at it's apex, and excellently fusing these two qualities together, The Wonder Years is an all time show!
  • I was born in 1980, so by 1988 I was still a little young (8yrs old) and not interested in TV other than cartoons. When I started watching this amazing show in the mid 90s (when the series was officially over but had reruns going nonstop) I was so taken by it. Not because it made me reflect on my childhood (because I was right smack in the middle of it) but because I had a big crush on Winnie and it was funny. It also gave me a little insight to suburb life which intrigued me because I was born & raised in Harlem, NYC.

Fast forward 20yrs to present day. I'm now 31yrs old (OK OK, so I'm not an old man yet) and I find that Netflix has FINALLY released this fabulous series on Instant streaming. Understand that I had been looking for this series on DVD or other wise for some time (I don't have cable so I can't catch the reruns on TV), so I was overjoyed when I added it to my queue and started watching it a couple of days ago. It was every bit as great as I remembered it, PLUS MORE!!! NOW I was able to enjoy it because of how it cause me to reflect on my childhood. After moving from NYC to the suburbs in my early youth, I could relate to a lot of what Kevin Arnold went through and how the narrator (old Kevin Arnold) saw things through his own eyes. Let me tell you, this show made me cry when I was young because I was such a fan of the Winnie & Kevin relationship.... now this show made me cry again!! I'm only on season 3 right now, but every single episode has plucked on my heart strings and played a tune of love, laughter, loss, rebellion, reflection, failure and victory. I wasn't born and raised in the 60s, but this show makes me wish I was.

I HIGHLY recommend this series to those raised in the pre-digital age, those who witnessed the birth of the digital age, and all those poor unlucky saps who were raised in the 80s and have not had the chance to watch it yet!!! Bonus: If you're a big movie & TV buff like me, you're gonna see a LOT of familiar faces when they were young! I've already seen a young Screech & Zack Morris from Saved By The Bell, a young Larenz Tate, and a couple of actors from some Christian videos I used to see when I was young (anyone remember Mcgee & Me??).
    A show that ended where it all first began, The Wonder Years finished where it first started, back in that small town with Kevin (words can't even begin to describe), Winnie (soon off to Paris and as breath-taking as ever), Jack (who we learn came to pass in the next two years), Norma (with her new-found success as a business woman), Wayne (who would have thought the guy would have turned out the way he did?), Karen (pregnant as ever), and Paul (the same old Paul we've come to know and love). The final episode still to this day comes to almost bring me to tears, even now as an adult. Just thinking about the way things turned out; how Kevin and Winnie ended up separate from one another; how Jack, superman as far as I am concerned, turned his life around and finally achieved true happiness only to come to pass away after only a couple more years; how Norma, the sweetest and most caring mom of all-time made things work for her both in the home as she always had, but now also out in the real world (although I can't imagine how she made along after Jack passed and conversely just how he would have handled losing her if the situation were reversed); how troubled-Wayne transformed himself into an entirely different and better person as he matured and went to work for his dad (the influence Jack had on him late in life undoubtedly made all the difference for Wayne); how Karen came back into the picture with a new baby boy on the way and truly happy as she deserved to be; and Paul, or as I like to call him, "Mr. Do-No-Wrong" and how his consistency throughout the entirety of the series remained a constant (and I love Paul and I'm so proud of him for getting accepted into Harvard and going into law); just thinking about all of these great people and how things turned out for them, though it seems collectively that they achieved happiness, it is also bittersweet. When I think about the possibility of Kevin and Winnie not ending up together, it just makes me sad. Winnie is so perfect in so many ways, in fact, in my life, I measure the girls pursue by her. And just the way Kevin treated her and acted when he was around her and was so happy to be with her, he just deserved her. But I guess that life doesn't always work out the way it's supposed to. And Jack, THE stand-up guy among stand-up guys, to think that he so convincingly and successfully transitioned from his go-nowhere position at Norcom (that by the way was killing him, and probably was the cause of his ultimate death when it came down to it) to owning his own hand-made furniture business, just to die two years later, the thought brings with it so much sorrow. He's the type of dad I sometimes wish I had (and in some ways I do have this type of dad, but it some ways I also do not). I know that to some he seems rough around the edges, but just look at his situation. He's a Korean-war-veteran, he has an incredibly demanding job (for much of his life anyway), he has bills to worry about, he has a daughter who makes spontaneous decisions that affect the entire family (with much of the strain landing directly onto him as the father), a son in Wayne who really up until his early 20's has no direction in life, and Kevin, who brings with him both the good and the bad when it concerns his father. And even with all of this, under it all, he is a truly loving father, a dedicated husband, an incredibly hard-worker, and really truly a great man over all. His life, in my opinion, emulates the life of a true success story, even though it was cut so short. And Norma, oh god, who could ever forget about Norma? Let's not forget the fact that she is drop-dead gorgeous, but besides that, as far as personality is concerned, she's probably the sweetest thing I've ever laid my eyes on. She's such a loving mother and wife and homemaker, but in addition to all this, as we learn from her success, she's also competent when it comes to business matters as well. But this is really getting away from what she is all about at least as far as the show is concerned. Truly, she is an extraordinary family woman and quite frankly, I can't think of a better mother in the history of television or even real life for that matter.

Bottom line...

I love this show and all the characters associated with it. I grew up watching the show and still to this day, almost 15 years after having viewed its content for one first full run, I still love it with the same passion I did as a child. I love it more than I can describe for all of the reasons I have mentioned above and also for more, ones I can't even describe because I am so infatuated with it. Watch it. See how the characters progress. See how they learn. See how they make each better people while they interact with one another. Witness their transformations. Witness their growth. Learn how they all come to be and how they all come to end.

It's a wild ride and it's one that I intend to take many more times in this life and while I'm still able. Be well everyone.

P.S. I love you, Winnie Cooper.
  • Excellent stories from time of adolescence of Kevin. In addition very good music which suit perfectly with different story lines. It's a very nostalgic series, but to me in not bad meaning. I don't know any other similar series maybe except from "Freaks and Geeks" which also rate high. I think that's very touching and inspired me to think about past and about important decisions, that everybody must sometimes make. It's obvious that real life is not so funny but rather ordinary and for more or less boring, but I think that when we chose some best moments of our lives, it would also be interesting. I want more so high-quality series about past, it could be also useful to get know, how the life was like.
  • elie-aintabi21 August 2006
    Wow, what a classic. Kevin Arnold looks back on life in the 60'when he was a teenager growing up. Arnold (played by Kevin Savage) reminisces about his childhood friends, Paul and Winnie, and the day to day life problems just about every teenager runs into.

Hilarious situations arise, making this sitcom an instant classic. Arnold goes back and forth with Winnie creating a romantic atmosphere at times. This show takes a step back from the typical sitcom and more focuses on analyzing the human psyche.

Rather then creating complex characters or multi-directional plots, the characters are rather simplistic as are the situations they run into.

The Wonder Years is an instant classic TV show, truly a must see. Albeit, no official DVD release has been planned or released, I know of a site http://www.tvdvdplanet.com has the whole series from pilot to finale.

Truly one of the best shows ever made.
  • The Wonder Years brings back nostalgia of an era which I did not live. Few people have lives as perfect and ordinary as Kevin Arnold: the nerdy best friend, the gorgeous girl-next-door, the hippie sister, the obnoxious brother. Though this is a television family, with all it's stereotypes in place, The Wonder Years perfectly encapsulates both the changing times of the late 60's/early 70's, and the painful awkwardness of adolescence.

This show will likely never be released on DVD. And if it is, it will be without the original music (liscensing for the huge amount of popular music would be astronomically expensive). This is unfortunate, because The Wonder Years is one of the best TV shows ever to be put on television. If you have a chance to, watch it!
  • (cue the movie trailer voice guy>) In a world where Breaking Bad and The Wire (both incredible shows) both score 9.4 and The Wonder Years only scores 8.2. (end the movie trailer voice guy)...Seriously though...this is a travesty. I honestly couldn't believe that The Wonder Years didn't score higher. Granted that this is a deeply personal show for me...but judging from the other reviews, it seems to be a deeply personal show for a lot of people. What is amazing about The Wonder Years is its ability to relate cross generations. I'm not going to talk specifically about any one episode because there are too many and no one here wants to read about my life story, but bear with me. I was born in 1980...so when I started watching The Wonder Years I was 8 and it ended when I was 13.....pretty much my formative years as a child. Watching the show during this time even as a child it was important to me. As a child, I could relate to Kevin or at least some of the other characters on a level where the understanding to me had everything to do with his experiences as a child and not a whole lot for the generation in which he lived his life. It worked for my parents because the show both created nostalgia to the time period in which they grew up as well and holding nostalgic memories of experiences that they may have had in common with the characters. Watching this show later in life only further showed me how great a show this truly was. Viewing this show 20+ years later you are able to see the show in a completely different light. While I'm not able to share in the nostalgia of the time period...as my parents...I am able to better relate to teenage Kevin....and his parents, grandparents, and dare I even say his jackass of a brother Wayne. If I wrote this review at another time I might be able to write a better one, but I am writing this on pure emotion and I can honestly tell you that this was one of the best shows ever made for television. The creators and the writers knew exactly what they were doing and it showed. Perhaps the Wonder Years was a little too far ahead of its time...or maybe America is all the stupider. I just feel bad for the kids of today that have no clue of this show. It is a damn shame that they won't either until licensing fees are worked out and and they can actually get this show on DVD. They need to do it right though. They can't leave out or replace the music because in blended in and complimented the show to a point that to leave it out would be to savagely diminish the quality....(sigh) Until then I'll have to rely on my bootleg copies and keep reminding the world that The Wonder Years even existed in the first place.
  • I rarely comment on television series. Given the linear nature of the medium, it is difficult if not totally impossible to offer commentary applicable to an entire series, which can comprise dozens of episodes. Quality will vary. However, based upon the episodes I watched, I have concluded that this is a high-quality television series that contains good acting, amusing stories, engaging and likable characters and a credible storyline. Some sitcoms are brilliant, others not so. This sitcom is an example of high-quality television entertainment that network television is capable of creating when it wants to. Apparently in this case, television wanted to because otherwise it would have been totally forgotten, especially be me.
  • califcomedy11 March 2012
    Most of the plots of the show actually happened to the target audience of the time -30 somethings. That's what made this show great. For me it was school walk out to protest the Viet Nam war. I remember thinking when I first watched that episode, did the writers go to Oak Crest Jr. High in Encinitas with me in 1969? Because that's exactly the way it happened. I think of that episode daily when I drop my son off at the same school. I see that courtyard where we all walked out to, and remember the strife of the teachers talking, should we, or shouldn't we allow this to happen, and just like the show, the one or two teachers that joined in, were the ones we thought were cool.
  • When I was a kid, I loved "The Wonder Years." In fact, I relished the evenings I spent in front of my TV with Kevin, Winnie and Paul. Watching the show now, I realized something. Dating as a pre-teen was beyond awkward. Adolescence is a period of time when you've shot a foot taller, your voice is couple octaves deeper but your face looks the same as it did in the second grade. Well, that is except for the strange peach fuzz growing on your upper lip. Or is that a pimple? Don't think about it or you'll get another one! Oops, too late. In other words, you look like a crazy man baby, the opposite of Teen Wolf. ....... To read more, visit my blog- http://brianrodriguez.tv/?p=143
  • Bala13 July 2010
    Wonder years is a rarity among the modern day sitcoms. To be honest, i have never seen anything like this my whole life. It tells the story of young Kevin Arnold(Fred Savage) between the time he starts junior high and finishes high school. The whole series is presented to the viewer as a narration. Kevin lives in a quiet suburb with his family. His childhood sweetheart Winnie Cooper (Danica McKellar) and Paul Pfieffer(Josh Saviano) live next door, with whom he spends most of his time. This show made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me think about friendship and family bonding. It reminded me of my childhood and about the things which i did and did not. Altogether, a wonderful experience for the young and the old alike. I am sorry that this great show has not made a debut on DVD because of licensing issues. I hope some day the producers would release the DVD so that this dramatic gem is not lost in the tides of time. If you get an opportunity to watch a taped version, don't miss it...
  • This is without a doubt one of the best serious programs that mixed humor and the style of sitcoms in history of American t.v.

Who didn't have a geeky friend that would always embarrass you like Paul? Who didn't have a crush like Beck? Or what about the unexpected crush from another super sexy girl? On the more serious aspects, who didn't have a discussion that could harm a family member? What about dealing with death, love, projects of school?

This show displayed the truth of life but only in a funnier way. I grew up watching Kevin and company dealing with the problems of diary life.

I personally find this to be the most complete drama-comedy show of the past 20 years. You won't find another visual experience like this.

It's like, remembering your childhood-puberty years through the eyes and memory of Kevin.

This show made me laugh, cry, reflex, and best of all, it brought me sensations of my life; you know, memories, smells, specific situations, etc. It's like a reproduction of my life through someone else's narration.

Also, the opening song is stuff for legend.
  • I watched The Wonder Years every Tuesday night when I was in Jr. High and I don't think I ever missed an episode. That was 20 years ago and I still watch it today with my 9 year old son. The setting is so "Everytown USA" in that it brings back memories of growing up in suburbia for probably everyone who watches. The Arnold family is like every other family, wonderful and loving and dysfunctional all at the same time. Norma and Jack remind me of my parents. The loving mom that you adore yet are a little embarrassed to be seen with and the stern, bread winning dad who isn't home very often and when he is he's reading the paper/watching t.v., or telling you to cut the grass. And of course the big brother who you fight with constantly but look up to at the same time. And the free-spirited older sis, whose aimless wandering we can all identify with. The clothes, the music, the bicycles with banana seats and the relationships and life lessons all ring true to those who have grown up and remember our own "wonder years". And for the young kids watching it today, as it did for me when I first watched, it teaches important lessons about growing up and how to enjoy it while it lasts! There is nothing else like it, it's simply the best!