User Reviews (132)

• I remember the first time I saw this film. I had won tickets from a local radio station and I saw it at a private screening at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. I remember as I was watching it that it was one of the greatest experiences I had in a movie in a long time. This film is not only a great sports film, but it is one of the great all around films I have ever seen. This film has it all from romance to comedy to witty dialogue. Susan Sarandon, Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins all brought Ron Shelton's script to life and the three of them displayed some of the greatest chemistry ever captured on film. This film is a timeless classic.
  • It is nice to see a movie that attracts more than one kind of audience. This is a comedy, then again a love story. This can be placed in the baseball genre as well as a coming of age drama. Most movies claim to be one or the other and sometimes fail to be. Then again, when a good movie hits a homerun it can not only become a money maker and a box office smash, it can also become timeless. Before they became giants of Hollywood, Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins stars in this great movie as some of the most interesting, yet simple characters. Costner plays an aging baseball player who meets with rookie, soon to be great major league pitcher Tim Robbins. Out of the rafters comes Susan Surandon who, in her own may, is a Muse of the religion of baseball. Together, the three introduce three different worlds upon the audience. Each are believable characters even though they are in a way, fantasy like. A great story with a perfect ending, Bull Durham is one of those hard to find movies that is a crowd pleaser with just about every audience out there.
  • Crash Davis loves baseball more than it loves him. He believes in the game. He deserves to be in the show, but he isn't and never will be. But still he plays on, dutifully and to a certain extent, joyfully. Better to play crappy A-ball than sell shoes.

That for me is the central theme of this film. It is all summed up when Crash tells Nuke, the wild young star pitcher "You don't respect yourself. That's your problem. You don't respect the game. That's my problem."

Take a player that passionate, and a youngster that annoying, add in a sexy yet maternal fan and you have great comedy. Bull Durham works scene after scene, because the film never forgets that baseball is what binds all the characters together.

Tim Robbins is nothing short of brilliant and Nuke Laloosh, the rising star youngster who walks 18 batters and strikes out 18 batters in his first minor league appearance - both league records. But Nuke is caught up in his fat contract, his Porsche, and his endless parade of women. Baseball is a sideline. Eventually, Crash's mentoring begins to pay off until he finally realizes that winning is "like, you know, better than losing!"

The love triangle between Annie (Susan Sarandon), Crash and Nuke is wonderful and funny, but it mainly provides us with set up for the baseball scenes, like when Sarandon convinces Nuke to wear women's underwear while he pitches. Or my favourite scene, when Annie and Crash take batting practise together, Annie dressed like she is ready for a wedding, but determined to correct Crash's swing. Crash is determined to take Annie home. They flirt and practice batting in one of the best prolonged foreplay scenes ever filmed.

The ending is satisfying but the real depth of this film is harmony that the game brings to the characters. **** out of ****.
  • First of I have to say i'm from the UK, i've never played baseball seen a baseball game or have any ideas to the finer rules of baseball but this will not stop you enjoying this film. This film is about a way of life and you can enjoy it in the same way as you can watch a film about a great explorer without ever having left your own country. For Crash, Nuke, Annie and all the other characters in here baseball is a way of life not a sport and it is to be respected and in some cases worshipped. For me the best scene in this movie comes in the pool hall at the end with three generations of baseball player we know that one day nuke, will be in crash's position and that crash will eventually be in the old guys position it's the baseball way of life. Howevever it's a way of life that's changing and this is shown in the almost forlorn at times shot's of the ballpark and main characters, like the lady says you have to respect the ball player who's just trying to finish out the season.

Direction, script and performances (Costner's best performance ever I think even over Field of Dreams and the Untouchables) are superb see this movie you wont regret it. 8/10
  • (Note: Over 500 of my movie reviews are now available in my book "Cut to the Chaise Lounge or I Can't Believe I Swallowed the Remote!" Get it at Amazon.)

I thought I read the book, or at least I dreamed it, but this is NOT adapted from something by Larry McMurtry, although it sure seems like it oughta be. It is one hell of a funny, crafty, too real for life, kind of movie. The brilliant script, full of clever one-liners, was written by Ron Shelton (White Men Can't Jump (1992)), who actually played minor league ball in the Orioles farm system. Shelton also directed and did a bang-up job. This is a funny movie that is really funny.

What I recalled (when I found out this wasn't from Larry McMurtry) was a baseball novel for juniors that I had read when I was a kid about a crafty, veteran minor league catcher who had once made it to the big leagues but got beaned and never got over it, always bailing out from an inside curve ball. (This was in the days before batting helmets.) He fell back to the minors and went from team to team and town to town, hitting a ton until somebody figured out that his knees would buckle if you brushed him back a bit, and then he'd have to move on. Kevin Costner's part reminds me of that guy (without the beaning phobia).

Susan Sarandon plays Annie Savoy, a baseball groupie in her sexual prime who likes to read poetry and give the players hitting advice. She is just wonderful as she plays sexy mom to the boys, a new one every summer, just so she can avoid any kind of real relationship or commitment. And so along comes Crash Davis (Kevin Costner, one of the more underrated and less flashy stars of our time), playing an itinerant catcher who has managed to hit nearly 300 minor league home runs. He is tough and savvy and once made it to the Show for 21 days. Tim Robbins plays Ebby Calvin "Nuke" "Meat" LaLoosh, a not too bright, wild-armed phenom who needs more than a little guidance. He gets a lot from both Crash and Annie, who are intent on schooling him in their differing expertise. Nuke is just the hunk Annie needs to keep her from falling in love with Crash, but...well, this is a romantic comedy, so you can be sure that love will find a way.

The baseball shtick and the interior dialogues of Robbins and Costner during the games ("Why's he want the heat? I wanna throw the deuce..." And, "Don't think, ... Get that...woman out of your head--Time out!") are really funny, and the bit where Robbins shakes him off and Costner, as an object lesson for his young pitcher, tells the batter what's coming next allowing the batter to hit it out of the park (or onto the Bull Durham sign to win a free steak dinner--is this genuine Americana or what?) are a crack up. But also great are the scenes with Sarandon as she philosophizes ("I believe in the Church of Baseball") and wise-cracks her way through the boys of summer, especially the scene where she ties Nuke up in bed and reads him some Walt Whitman. Now THAT really tires the boy out! Another great scene is on the bus when Crash lets the other players know that he once made it to the bigs where "...you hit white balls for batting practice and the ballparks are like cathedrals." Beautiful.

Best dead-pan one-liner is when Crash catches Nuke in the locker room trying to adjust the panty hose girdle that Annie has talked him into wearing under his uniform: "The rose goes in the front, big guy."

By the way, the great rock and roll soundtrack includes the galvanizing baseball song, "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" by John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival fame. (Or maybe the title's "In Center Field": "Put me in coach. I'm ready to play, today, in center field.")

It's a shame that Shelton did not win the Oscar for this script, it's really that good. (Ronald Bass won for Rain Man.) The characters are just fascinating and full of life, and not just the three leads. The bit players are funny too, including the hard-talking, middle-brained manager, the mindless pattering coaches, the sweet young groupie girl who makes it with all the players as fast as she can. Even the team clown is good.

The irreverent characterizations, the sweet story, the realistic atmosphere of baseball in small town America (only slightly burlesqued), and some fine acting all rolled together make this one highly diverting little film, actually one of the best baseball films ever made. See this with your best babe. She'll like it as much as you.
  • "Bull Durham" is one of those engaging sports films that can be enjoyed no matter if one isn't a fan of the sport in question - in this case, baseball. There's all the love in the world for this great American pastime, but there's also some interesting and literate discussions going on all the time in this smart and witty comedy, as well as some memorable characters whom we like and find easy to watch.

Kevin Costner plays "Crash" Davis, a veteran minor league catcher who's hired by the Durham Bulls to act as a mentor to their new pitcher Ebby LaLoosh (Tim Robbins). Ebby is in need of some direction, as he may be truly talented but has ego and discipline problems. At the same time, sexy Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon), the Bulls' loyal groupie, takes an interest in Ebby as she makes a habit of hooking up with one young player every season and helping the man to mature. Naturally, some sparks fly as the two guys both get attracted to Annie.

Writer / director Ron Shelton truly knows the territory, having been a minor league baseball player himself, although he doesn't in truth feature a lot of game action. His dialogue is often very funny and often very profane. A lot of humour comes from Annies' manipulation of the naive Ebby, whom she nicknames "Nuke" and has him do things like wear a garter, thinking this will improve his game. And while the film does get serious at times, it never becomes too maudlin. As was said previously, the attraction comes from watching three intriguing characters and three fine performances. With fine support by Trey Wilson and Robert Wuhl, Costner, Sarandon, and Robbins make the most of the material. There's also some endearing goofiness from the real-life "Clown Prince of Baseball", a man named Max Patkin. And to top it all off, there are some very sexy scenes in this thing, especially towards the end. All in all, this likable story has a little something for everybody, and is well worth a viewing.

Eight out of 10.
  • It's the professional pitching debut of Ebby Calvin 'Nuke' LaLoosh (Tim Robbins) for the A ball Durham Bulls. He has a million dollar arm and a five cents head. They bring in veteran catcher Crash Davis (Kevin Costner) to mentor the young pitcher. Only he's too old for this stuff. Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon) is a baseball philosopher and team super fan. Every year, she picks one player to hook up with and guide. Much to Crash's dismay, she picks Nuke.

This is a funny and charming baseball movie. It's got Kevin Costner's great "I believe in..." speech. It's also got all the inside baseball interior-voice and behind-the-glove fun. It loves baseball both in its grandness and the little things. It romanticizes the game as well as its sad lowly grind. It's probably the best comedy movie about professional baseball.
  • One of the best sports movies I've ever seen. I have a friend who's a total baseball nut, and this is the movie he quotes all the time. If he endorses it that's good enough for me.

The story takes place during one portion of a season with the Durham Bulls, a minor-league team in the Carolina League. It follows the players and hangers-on. Taking what I hope is a somewhat realistic look at how life really is in not only the minor leagues but on up through the majors.

One of my favorite scenes is the one where Crash Davis (Kevin Costner) teaches "Meat" LaLoosh (Tim Robbins) the cliches he will use when dealing with the press. After watching that scene, reading the sports pages was never the same.

I hope you get a laugh from this flick as well.
  • The movie reviews that have been said about this amazing film are quite possibly the least impressive writing that has ever been put down on the internet. If you don't respect baseball you wouldn't like this movie. You may like baseball but unless you respect the sanctity of the games with its quirks and its traditions you won't understand this movie. The plot revolves around what every baseball player dreams of. Sex with an incredible and mysterious women and making it to the highest echelon of players that has ever graced the sanctity of a baseball diamond.

What makes this movie even better is the depth that it goes into. This movie depicts the minor leagues of a yester year and how the game was meant to be played. This marvelous film depicts the struggles that goes on not only with baseball players but with all human beings. The struggle between men and women, teacher and student, and different personalities in a work environment. The parallels between all of life and this movie are great. The baseball is even better. The fact that it doesn't get more respect as a classic is surprising because of America's fascination with baseball and sex.

Costner's speech is the best speech of its kind. The way that he says it could not be delivered by any other performer. Sarandon's character shows how women seek acceptance from men in different ways and even though she is brilliant she still needs to be accepted in a man's world. Robbin's character show the difficulties that an incredible talent has in harnessing that talent into a great career. The way that they address the season and baseball as a business and a love has not and will not be done any other way. The way Costner struggles being a great baseball player and a career Minor Leaguer with an abundance of knowledge and love for the game sets his character apart from any other. The way he finishes out his career by hitting the last dinger that sets the minor league records shows the struggles that exist between a man's love of a child's game and a depiction of what every boy goes through be it high school, college, or a career as a professional baseball player. The monologues that Sarandon's character gives expresses the simplicity of the game as well as how complicated it is along with every other facet of life. This baseball movie is not only baseball but a way of life.
    I love how this movie could have gone down the wrong path on so many occasions, yet somehow still managed to pleasantly surprise its viewers by its overwhelming charm and whit. Susan Sarandon wonderfully portrays Annie, a baseball fan who picks a minor league player to sleep with every season, something that sounds, and should be considered trashy and inappropriate. But somehow Susan turns her into this exotic, free-spirited, classy woman who just wants to help the players grow and mold them into big league material because she. Just. Loves. Baseball.

Which brings us to the love triangle. It is common knowledge that in every love triangle someone ends up getting hurt, the woman chooses the man we were all rooting for and the other candidate falls out of the race without anyone batting an eyelid, if not even cheering for his loss. Yet in Bull Durham we see that both Annie and (the man we root for) Crash actually educate the boy who is willing to compete with Crash for Annie's heart. How wonderful is the idea that the person who loses in the race picks up some wisdom from the other two? If all heartbreaks were that productive no one would even mind getting one. And when the boy is not an option anymore we have this rational, disciplined, morally strong man who falls for a woman almost completely opposite to him, but somehow we still see how they fit, and somehow we know he was her first choice, and somehow we feel their chemistry.

I will not comment on the baseball side of the movie because I, admittedly, would have no idea what I'm talking about. I have however read some reviews myself before writing this one, and most of them say the accuracy is impressive.
  • This one's a total cutie. America's two favorite pastimes, baseball and sex, combine in Bull Durham, a delightful romantic comedy with a real-life happy ending.

Susan Sarandon, in her totally adorable heyday, plays a baseball groupie with a tradition of having an affair with a different player of the Durham Bulls each season. This season, the lucky man has been chosen, but what happens when a new, handsome, charming, sexy coach shows up and throws a wrench in her plans? What a love triangle! Susan Sarandon torn between Tim Robbins and Kevin Costner—get ready for some steamy scenes! And how darling is this: Susan and Tim became real-life sweetie-pies during this movie and became one of the most famous acting couples in America.

Between Susan's adorable North Carolina accent and a smart, sexy, and hilarious script, Bull Durham is a must-see. Just make sure to put the kiddies to bed first.

Kiddy Warning: Obviously, you have control over your own children. However, due to some pretty steamy sex scenes and language, I wouldn't let my kids watch it.
  • I don't even know where to start on this one. I mean, when I was in college I picked a crap apartment because it was in walking distance of a few of my favorite bars. Now that I am almost 40, just turned 37, I picked my last apartment because it was across the street from a very active softball diamond.

I don't have kids, but that has never stopped me from going to high school and little league baseball games just to spend an afternoon in the summer watching baseball.

For anyone that has their soul crushed time and again because they had the misfortune of being raised in the cult of the Cubs...or I guess the Red Sox too, you already know the peace it brings when you get to watch a game whose outcome you don't really care about.

The minors have that appeal as well, at least when you live in a major northern city. But up here minor league games are often hard to find.

And, in 1988 they made a movie about minor league baseball.

Not only that, but they summed up a lot of the pure obsession we have for the sport.

In fact, "Bull Durham" opened with it.

"I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." I could never throw a baseball well, I could never get my body to move in that awkward way, so I played football instead. A football I could throw no problem, but it was a sport I never really watched. It was always baseball I tuned into. It was baseball I loved. It was baseball I cared about.

It even got to the point where, after Sosa and McGwire in '98, I tried to stop, to shake that monkey off my back only to be relieved, 3 years later, when Bonds stole that honor away from the Cardinals...a team that I hold an irrational hatred towards for reasons only baseball fans can really explain.

"Bull Durham," explains ALL of that, the love, the hate, the euphoria, the deep depressions, and that affirmation of life in a way that lovingly mocks it all.

It feeds into the psyche of every baseball fan in a way the "Field of Dreams" and the "Sandlot" appealed to the child and the sense of perpetual summer in all of us.

It makes you laugh and it does it with wit and it's own little wisdoms.

Not only that, but it brings baseball to life for everyone, fans and laymen alike.

It's a masterpiece of comedy and a must see for any addict of the sport.
  • 'Bull Durham' is A Complete Entertainer, That Easily is among THE Best Sport-Centric Films-Ever. Ron Shelton's Screenplay & Direction, both, are very-well done, while the Performances, are remarkable.

'Bull Durham' Synopsis: Crash" Davis, a veteran catcher is brought in to teach rookie pitcher Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh about the game in preparation for reaching the Major Leagues, While, Baseball groupie Annie Savoy romances Nuke but finds herself increasingly attracted to Crash.

'Bull Durham' is humorous, energetic & most of all, entertaining. The film wonderfully grabs your attention. Ron Shelton's Screenplay is a great blend of energy & humor. His direction, on the other-hand, is very-well done. Cinematography, Editing & Art Design, are nice.

Performance-Wise: Kevin Costner delivers a terrific performance. The actor sinks his teeth into the part & brings it out with flying colors. Susan Sarandon, as always, is fabulous. Tim Robbins suits his part perfectly. Trey Wilson does well. William O'Leary is as usual.

On the whole, 'Bull Durham' is A Complete Entertainer.
  • 'Bull Durham' is definitely one of those movies you can't get enough of. Not a drama, but more of a sexy, laid back film. Tim Robbins was great in the movie, a little low on brains, but still very vulnerable. Susan Sarandon was very persuasive in this movie, the kind of a woman all of the guys like. Kevin Costner was so great, his theories were untouchable. A great combination of everything that a movie should have to offer. Gives a new meaning to 'home run', and baseball.
    I sometimes get this movie confused with "Major League"; they came out within a year of each other and quite obviously, they're both baseball films. Now that I've caught up again with this picture, I'll probably be able to keep them apart well enough. "Major League" had that great 'Wild Thing' sequence going for it, and it would have helped if this one could have snared a catchy tune of it's own. The closest it came was a brief snippet of Credence Clearwater's 'Center Field' song, but it didn't hang around long enough to make a lasting impression.

Of the three principals, Kevin Costner comes across as having the best character here, but I would have held him in higher regard if he didn't let his libido get in the way when it came to Baseball Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon). With all the sex and profanity in the film, there were times that it felt more like a locker room joke than a story about the national pastime. After Crash Davis (Costner) had his tumble in the hay with Annie toward the end of the story, I had to wonder whether General Mills did the right thing signing off on that box of Wheaties on her kitchen table. I don't think the Breakfast of Champions had that kind of competition in mind.

When the film does broach the 'love of the game', the dialog raises the standard of the picture up a notch, as when Crash describes his twenty one days 'in The Show'. I've heard the term used before, and it does seem to appropriately describe a reverence for making it to the Big Leagues. But then you have a scene in which Crash uses that one word that's a no-no with umpires, and it drags the story back down to the gutter again, at least for this viewer.

As a corollary to my summary line above, uttered by team manager Skip (Trey Wilson) to his hapless team in the early part of the story, Ebby 'Nuke' LaLoosh offers up his own version later on when he eventually makes it to The Show himself - "Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains". For me, this might have been one of those 'sometime it rains' pictures. Considering that Kevin Costner starred in the great Academy Award nominated "Field of Dreams" the very year following "Bull Durham", this one more closely resembles a strike-out.
  • edwagreen14 September 2014
    You often wonder why certain guys never make it in baseball given the fact that they have potential. We see this in the film.

Kevin Costner is absolutely wonderful as such a player. An experienced catcher, he has what it takes, but only lasted in the major leagues for a brief period. He is resigned to the Durham minor league team where he meets up with fan and announcer Susan Sarandon who acquires a great southern accent for her role.

Tim Robbins is the pitcher that Costner is assigned to work with. His appearances are memorable. Strikeouts and walks are the same high amount. Watch out when he throws, anyone there is vulnerable. That's what happens to the film-the vulnerability of the Sarandon-Costner- Robbins relationship comes into question.
  • Bull Durham is written and directed by Ron Shelton, it stars Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Robert Wuhl and Trey Wilson. Music is by Michael Convertino and cinematography by Bobby Byrne.

Annie Savoy (Sarandon), small town groupie of the Durham Bulls minor league baseball team, takes a different player from the team into her bed each year and in the process imparts her considerable knowledge of the game on them. This year is tricky, though, two candidates catch her eye. One is young air-head, but talented, pitcher Ebby Calvin LaLoosh (Robbins), the other is the wise older veteran of the leagues Crash Davis (Costner), who has been employed to be the Bulls' catcher and mentor to LaLoosh. Annie and the two men's lives are about to change considerably.

It's a rare old thing is this, a sports movie that manages to be funny, tender, romantic and spirit lifting all in one. Writer/director Ron Shelton draws on his own real life experiences of the minor leagues to tell his story with skill, whilst cloaking it in authentic looking splendour. His tale is boosted by three excellent lead performances from Sarandon (savvy and sexy), Robbins (ebullient naivety) and Costner (charismatic and natural), with the added bite that, refreshingly in a male dominated environment, it's Sarandon's Annie who is the centre of the story (she narrates also). True enough to say that some of the sports dialogue will not be to everyone's liking, erm hello non baseball fans, but in the main it's a wholesome and mature romady that keeps on giving rewards with each subsequent viewing.

Clearly about more than baseball, it's a film that's easy to love and laugh along with. 8.5/10
  • Previous reviewer of this movie obviously has no clue about the sport of baseball. The opening monologue by "Annie Savoy" is absolutely the best of any movies I've ever seen. The scenes on the playing field are so real I can almost smell the dirt and the grass. Costner and Robbins are both absolutely excellent in their portrayals of frustrated Minor Leaguers trying to get to the "show" (i.e. the MAJOR LEAGUES for those of you who do not know the lingo.) and the setting is beautiful; a small southern town where baseball is probably the best thing on Earth because everything else is boredom. Annie Savoy does the best monologue ever known to my ears; her comparsions of baseball to a "religion" speak deeply into my heart because I have been a fan since I can remember and I will be until the day I die. The Annie character is also an interesting twist on the necessity of a female figure to calm down too much boiling testosterone.

MLB players like Milton Bradley need an "Annie Savoy" - unfortunetely they apparently do not yet; I hope these tortured souls of MLB will someday find an "Annie" or at least watch this movie so chairs stop flying into the stands at MLB parks and these guys can get back to the real business of just playing the game.

If you are a serious baseball fan this is a must see; if you're clueless or just don't get the draw of not just the game but of honest "Americana" - don't bother; maybe at least try to figure it out.
  • adamk-223 April 2006
    I've avoided this film for years, because I'm no sports fan, but over the years I've read about it, heard it quoted and cited as a film even for people who don't like sports, so last night -- in the mood for a piece of light comedy romance -- I sat down and watched it.

Holy cow, what an experience. There were, I admit, some comic highlights and good lines, but for the most part all that I had throughout were questions: Who ARE these people? What are they TALKING about? What's at stake, here? What an EARTH is Susan Sarandon's character supposed to be? What does she DO? Why is she HERE? What is the damned POINT of all this? Why is Miss Sarandon -- an actress I've loved since I first saw her in "Atlantic City" -- so spectacularly bad in this film, popping her eyes and going so over the top it's as if she's engaged in long-distance Tennessee Williams competition? And...what the hell was the point of the character of Tim Robbins' dad? And, finally: when is this going to end?

Sure, I live in the UK, but I spent 13 years in the States, so I have some basic knowledge of baseball, but even I was completely baffled by what was going on. There was nothing here to connect to any aspect of real life, no real human motivation outside of the scriptwriter's manipulation of his characters for whatever his reasons were.

As I said, there were parts that did make me laugh out loud, and I certainly liked Tim Robbins and even, up to a point, Kevin Costner (wildly uneven, though -- check out his couple of lines to Robbins when the latter wakes up from his nightmare on the bus. Was Costner struck over the head with a baseball bat before the cameras rolled?) but on the whole, this seemed like a long, pointless exercise in...well, I can't even say for sure. But, one thing I can say is that I was very, very disappointed, and whatever appeal this film seems to have had completely eluded me.
  • Keith-10530 August 2002
    Awful
    I guess this film may be of interest to Baseball fans, but believe me to anyone else who doesn't follow baseball (and that probably includes 99% of my fellow Brits) this film is one big yawn from start to finish.

I can't believe it has scored so well on IMDB. The only thing I can assume I'm missing is something to do with baseball.

Even films I don't like I can usually find something positive to say about them, but I cannot find a single redeeming feature about this movie. It sucks (as you guys in the US say).

Acting, storyline, characters, all complete rubbish. I wanted to turn it off after half an hour.
  • I tried to like this movie, I just couldn't. This was supposed to be a breakthrough role for Susan Sarandon, but I found her character to be pathetic, not strong, although her performance was right on. When Costner made his speech about wet kisses and Christmas presents I just wanted to smack him! SHUT UP!!! Tim Robbins is the best thing this movie has going for it, and he has really lived up to what little potential this movie allowed him to display. Little did I know what lengths writer/director Ron Shelton would go to in his career to tick moviegoers like me off with his macho BS movies. "Blaze", "White Men Can't Jump", "Play it to the Bone", and "Hollywood Homicide." All these movies show men at either their worst or most annoying, and women are sex-object throwbacks, or maybe I'm missing some hidden irony. Anyway, I put it in this review because it all started with this. Shame on Shelton.
  • I love baseball games, stories, novels and, yes, movies about the sport. However, there are exceptions to most things and that's the case here (and "Major League") because it's not really a baseball story.....just a tale about low-life people. It's no surprise that Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins and Kevin Costner play the leading roles in this sleazy film. It goes right along with their real-life backgrounds, especially Sarandon and Robbins.

Soo....instead of an old-fashioned nice sports story, or a clean comedy about baseball, all you get is sleazy dialogue about a female owner of a team whose sole aim is to jump in bed with this promising rookie. And "promising" doesn't mean his baseball talent.

The sport takes a back seat to sex in this movie, plain and simple. The dialog is very profane filled with blasphemy and all of that seems to be the real focus of this film, nothing else. It's almost like an "in" joke among these elitist Hollywood people who made this.

I am sorry that Costner, who does have some reverence for the game and knows how to play it, lowered himself to play this role. Making fun of baseball, or its owners or players is fine - but this is just below-the-belt humor and not really very funny. This movie is praised way more than it's deserved to be.
  • There's something to be said about Minor League Baseball.While the Major Leagues have their glitz and glamor,the minor leagues are a bit different.It's not so glitzy.It's not so glamorous.Everything having to do with the minor leagues happens on a much smaller scale.For some,like me,the atmosphere of the minors is much more appealing because you don't have a bunch of millionaires out there saying "look what I can do".What you do have are guys trying to prove themselves worthy of that next step,the Major League level,which means that they are more likely to be giving their all.Minor league ballparks,depending upon which ones you go to,have a lot to offer as far as fun things to do for the family as far as contests and the like.What Bull Durham does for the average movie watcher is project that very atmosphere that I have just described.When you watch the film,you feel like you are at the ballpark having a blast.The three way interaction between the characters played by Costner,Robbins,and Sarandon is a great display of artistry that no one should miss.There are elements of language and sexuality that some may find offensive as well as slams against Christianity that made me personally uneasy,but otherwise this film is a definite fun time.
  • A comical story about baseball and sex. How can it miss? The minor league Durham Bull's have had their share of loses and looney characters. Raw talent sometimes is more plentiful than brains. Tim Robbins is a young pitcher, "Nuke" LaLoosh, needing a lot of instruction if he is to make it to the "bigs". Aging catcher, Crash Davis, played by Kevin Costner, is assigned to the team to whip the youngster into shape. The team's number one groupie, played by Susan Sarandon, wraps both players around her little finger.

Hilarious situations and the lighter side of baseball. This movie made me a Sarandon fan. Robert Wuhl and Trey Wilson provide backup.
  • Quite possibly one of the most overrated movies in motion picture history. As previously stated, this is the only movie I have ever walked out on. My memory has faded quite a bit since 1988, but the sheer boredom remains embedded. I can't quite pick out why it was so bad...oh did I mention it was boring. My buddies and I snuck out and caught Halloween 4 that night (which can I recommend). If insomnia is your problem, then take a dose of Bull Durham. CURED!

Bottom Line: 1/10!