• After movie greats like the Killer, and The Replacement Killers , many people feel that chow Yun Fat is only a "Action Star". Well this is one of the movies that proves them wrong. It's a delightful story of a wealthy man who falls in love with two women. The thing that makes Chow so great in a comedy is his wonderful facial expressions. The ending is so-so, but the movie is well worth watching, especially if you want to see the "many faces" of Chow Yun Fat
  • I've been wanting to see this Chow Yun Fat comedy for years and years, and now on my first amazing trip to Hong Kong and riddled with jetlag, I managed to catch it on HK Netflix!!

And the wait was well worth it..!

I'm sure the neighbouring rooms in my hotel didn't appreciate me laughing out loud for 90 minutes at 4am, but I just couldn't help it - Diary Of A Big Man is insanely hilarious, original, awkward and highly entertaining in every way.

Superstar and all round incredible guy Chow Yun Fat joins forces again with Waise Lee 2 years after their time together on the incredible A Better Tomorrow (1986) with Lee playing the suffering friend of Chow's who tries his hardest to save his friend from being caught out being married to Sally Yeh and Joey Wong!

Seeing both of their performances in this compared to that of ABT just shows what incredible actors they really are, delivering perfect comic timing with Chow Yun Fat just owning the whole show as a man you shouldn't like, but can't help in doing so.

As the film moves on, every situation gets (comically) worse intercut with Chow himself narrating his life and plans to us the audience. Throw in a couple of hilarious musical numbers and of course the big reveal when the wives catch on to his antics, and you are left with one of the funniest films (I've) ever seen that deserves a place among classics such as The Pink Panther, Young Frankenstein etc!!

Love it...
  • Chow Yun-Fat might be best known as the gun-totting Mark Gor in the "A Better Tomorrow" movie series in Hong Kong, or Captain Sao Feng in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and Master Li Mu Bai in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to Western audiences. Despite his reputation as an iconic action star, Chow has stated in has done lots of comedy in Hong Kong and this film is a great example. He plays Chow Chen-fat who falls in love with two women, Sally and Joey (played by Sally Yeh and Joey Wang) and, not preferring one over the other, decides to marry both without the other one knowing. So, with the help of his friend Chi Hung (Waise Lee), he goes through great lengths to spend time with both women.

It is extremely hilarious seeing Chow's tactics and facial expressions as he essentially tries to be at two places (his two homes for each of his wives) at the same time, waking in the middle of the night to go to his other house, eating two dinners cooked for him by his wives, trying to make it to two dates, etc. With some light slapstick humor and physical comedy, you'll great one entertaining moment after the other in this fast-paced film. You'll be intrigued to find out how Chow will worm his way through this double relationship, especially when both Sally and Joey later meet each other!

You will also love all the great acting and character developments and the charming musical number in the middle of the movie - sung by Chow, Sally and Joey. It's a must-see Hong Kong comedy!

Grade A