• zmoviefan30 January 2006
    A rock band and three groupies go to a cabin in the middle of the woods to practice before they go on tour. One of them has nightmares about a werewolf and wouldn't you know it? A werewolf shows up to kill his friends.

The last 30 minutes or so are the best as all the mayhem occurs. I liked the fact that once they realize they are being stalked, they at least try to hide and/or get away.

There is a little blood, a little nudity, a little bad acting, a little corny dialog and of course those 80's hairstyles and clothes. My favorite scene is with Tom Shell in the woods being stalked.
    Hard Rock Nightmare is a rather obscure entry in the "rock 'n' roll" slasher sub-genre, and not a very good one at that. The plot concerns a rock band who decide to head to the lead singer's family cabin to practice and they are soon picked off by a werewolf, or someone dressed as a werewolf. This boring "horror" film was brought to us by Dominick Brascia and Steven Baio, the creators behind the wonderfully, but fun inept "Evil Laugh". Mr. Brascia's second directorial feature was rather disappointing. It's slow-paced and uneventful and the deaths were unconvincing. It also lacked the zany charm that made "Evil Laugh" so wonderful. The ending was lifted right from an old Scooby Doo episode. I won't give away the ending. However, it is worth seeking out only because of it's obscurity.
    Dominick Brascia was Joey in Friday the 13th: A New Beginning, as well as writing and directing Evil Laugh and this film. He moved into radio and sadly died in 2018. But hey - he did three slashers, counting this one, so let's take a look.

When John was a little kid, his grandfather would constantly tell him that he was a vampire, so he did what I would have as a child. He grabbed a stake and dropped that bloodsucker. Except, you know, his grandfather was just joking and as a result, John grew up in a mental hospital.

But hey, things worked out OK. Now he's in a rock and roll band and once the cops tell him they're too loud for the garage, he heads to the house his grandmother left him. That said, his bandmates are getting killed off one by one, possibly by a werewolf who was once his grandfather, so maybe things aren't so great.

So I guess the Bad Boys are never going to make it, despite their willingness to sound more like Bryan Adams than you'd expect from a movie with hard rock in the title and wear women's lingerie.

Actually, this movie is a lot like Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare, except you don't get to see Thor fight a demon or drive around for 35 minutes. If I was making a scale of metal horror films, with Trick or Treat as the top of the scale, I'd probably use this as the bottom. It is also no Black Roses, Rocktober Blood or Blood Tracks, either.