• kdulai6 September 2010
    It's a tiresome continuation of the same depressingly futile, execrable material that plagued the series from #3. A hopeless pantomime consisting of extended camp chases, the Captain being coated in various effluvia, oafs falling over and so forth. The PG certificate squeezes out the raunchy spirit which enlivened the original.

The Alzheimer-ish buffoon Commandant Lassard is propelled to the fore with no effect upon the quality, which would be laudable if there was any. Guttenberg's libidinous, puerile cretin character, Mahoney, is missing yet unmissed. The rest of the shamelessly worthless crew are back exhibiting timing which would embarrass a wristwatch from the Poundshop.
  • The first "Police Academy" movie was good. The second one was interesting. The third and fourth were forgettable. But this one is abysmal. Note to the producers: this is suppose to be funny. There's a few scenes that merit a smile, but the movie is generally boring. Great to see Harris and Lessard, but I miss Mahoney and Sweetchuck. Thank God it's got a short running time. And thank God I got it for free at my local library. This is it for me folks, I'll stop at the 5th installment of the series and leave the rest to those who want to waste their time. Seen at home, in Toronto, on January 21st, 2007.

54/100 (BOMB)
  • s-woodier2 October 2007
    This film had me in stitches!!! Literally. In my outrage at how awful the film was, I left the cinema early, grumbling and grasping around in the darkened auditorium. I passed a famous golfer who was sitting in my aisle, however I slipped on one of his loose golf balls and tumbled to the floor. The whole cinema audience started laughing! They were pleased that they had gained at least one laugh from their miserable experience. Such a shame that a man breaking his back in real life is funnier than Police Academy 5. I was visited by the golfer some months later, he arrived at my hospital ward. He had brought me some grapes and a copy of Police Academy 7...
    I really don't get it with these movies; thought the makers that after so many bad movies that THIS, this fifth would really break threw with it's extremely original story and laughs - well, no.

The movies don't get a bit better, they just keep getting worse. The laughs are so childish, so boring and stupid that it's very difficult seeing the fun in this at times. The characters that were in the first one original and entertaining, hasn't grown one day older and it gets stuck. It doesn't leap forward, nothing really interesting or entertaining happens, so it's just so fabulously bad! The whole Police Academy thing isn't that an awful idea, but it's the way that they simply kept stretching the limits of the whole plot. The thing gets really silly, really childish and awfully bad, and what's with the thing that always the makers wants to have this new, bad thing popping up at the end?
  • Approximately halfway into this film... or is it a third of the way? Time seems quite distended and relative when watching any Police Academy film, but the awfulness of PA5 tends to send one into an alternate dimension where seconds seem to take weeks. Kind of like watching the Benny Hinn show with a fantastic hangover in the middle of a hospital ward, in other words.

Anyways, at some point in the film, our cast decide to indulge in a limbo-dancing event. As G.W. Bailey and Lance Kinsey lament the fact that the time to fire their agent has well and truly passed, and the rest of the cast seem to celebrate the fact that they get to eat this year, the music in the background repeatedly asks us how low can we go. If that isn't irony, I don't know what is.

It is scenes like the one I've just described that Steve Guttenberg and Bobcat Goldthwait obviously read before telling their agent that not working at all was preferable to appearing in this drivel. As we endure endless scenes with extras falling over for no readily apparent reason (although the golf balls sell the illusion effectively enough) or characters tanning the word "dork" onto each others' chests (and that is about as adult as the humour gets here), one of the great theories about family-friendliness is proven. The makers of Police Academy 5 might have made a Police Academy film that is suitable for four-year-olds to watch, but in so doing, they have made a film that only four-year-olds would want to watch.

If your four-year-old is able to read at what we laughingly refer to as an adult level such as I was at that age, they will most likely turn to you when the credits roll and say something along the lines of "well that was stupid, wasn't it?".

The plot revolves around something that probably should have been done at the end of the last film: putting George Gaynes out to pasture. After seeing him in previous Police Academy films and Punky Brewster (often within days of each other), I have a tremendous respect for the man, but he really is just getting too old to do this. By the time Police Academy 8 rolls out, he will be 88. Granted, there are actors who put in great performances at similar ages (Christopher Lee is only about five years his junior), but given that George has started to speak at a rate of about one word an hour, I don't think he's got another film left in him.

Getting back to the plot, anyway, as Commandant Lassard is scheduled to retire, Captain Harris senses an opportunity to become Commandant of the Academy, while his old trainees sense an opportunity to pay respect to a man who had quite the positive impact in their lives.

It sounds like a very flimsy foundation for a film, and to be quite frank, when you've got writers of this calibre putting it together, it is. As has been said earlier, the suitable-for-all-ages mentality is one element that makes the film boring. The performances are another. George Gaynes, in spite of being so old that you aren't sure anymore that he's pretending to be completely unaware, is the only actor in this mess who *doesn't* phone in his performance.

Matt McCoy is a poor substitute for Steve Guttenberg, as is exemplified by the quality of the jokes played on Captain Harris demonstrates. Mahoney wouldn't merely sunburn a word into Harris' chest. We've seen Mahoney smear shoe-polish on a megaphone, cast dispersions on Harris' sexuality, as well as make a laughing stock of the man by spreading the word about an unfortunate accident involving a motorbike and a horse. And that's just in the first film. Sorry, Nick, but to call your effort weak is a form of flattery.

All in all, I gave Police Academy 5 a one out of ten. I don't know what is scarier. That they are making a number 8, or that people have actually voted 10 for this load of dung.
  • There are too many wannabe Siskals, trying to pick every film to death. If you are looking for critical film successes, do not look here. If you are looking for a film that does not take itself seriously, and thereby is fun, then this whole series of films is for you. By the time of this fifth Police Academy film we can view these misfits as old and familiar friends. they each do what they do best. George Gaynes excels as the clueless Eric Lassard, who wanders through life creating chaos in his wake, but always managing to come out on top. He is America's answer to the French Clouseau. Rene Aubejonois is just great as the lead crook in this film. And G.W. Bailey. It takes an actor of rare quality to play the loathed but always accident prone character that he plays. These films are fun, and this one was one of the best.
  • "Police Academy V: Assignment: Miami Beach" continues the on-going "Police Academy" "comedies," if you wish. I call them trash.

The first had a few laughs, but was basically a rip-off of "Stripes" with Bill Murray. The second film was decent, and had just enough laughs to watch for. The third was one of those Sunday afternoon flicks. The rest are absolute, slobbering, grimy, putrid trash.

The plot involves Police Chief Lassard heading off to Miami Beach to accept an award. At the airport, he accidentedly switches suitcases with jewel thieves, who want their diamonds back...

This is the excuse for laughs not even half-baked. As always, the things one laughs at are those that the writers did not intend the audience to laugh at, like the end "action" sequence involving alligators, crocodiles, or whatever those fake puppets were.

I don't know how the "Police Academy" series ever got any more productions after the second or third film, but they did. Perhaps, in a sick, demented way, it's for the better. It ruined Steve Guttenberg's career, and gave all aspiring comedy writers something to "not do" when writing a comedy.

1/5 stars--

John Ulmer
  • Mister-627 September 1999
    The "Police" are back and Miami's got them!

And they can have 'em.

"Police Academy 5" would be a disappointment if a college film class had produced, directed and starred in it. But to think that this was committed by Hollywood suits who thought there was a shred of humor in any of this....

Wait, cleansing breath.... Okay, let's continue.

Guttenberg cut out in the last movie, which leaves McCoy as the "romantic/humorous" lead. But not to worry: the rest of the usual gang of idiots comes along, too. Smith, Winslow, Graf, Easterbrook, Ramsey et al, pop up in Miami to help honor their Commandant (Gaynes) who is being honored as Policeman of the Decade on the eve of his forced retirement. Of course, there's the usual complications of jewel smuggling, kidnapping, chases in the Everglades, purse snatchers in drag....

You want the truth, here's the truth: the best part of this entire movie is watching Jones gallivant around in a swimsuit. Now SHE'S a piece of police-work. And Easterbrook is always good to watch lounging by the pool.

And Winslow's vocal wizardry is good for a few chuckles. That's about it.

Two and a half stars. And the next time someone calls you a "dork" while on the beach, check your chest.
  • ...except for this one. I always loathed and despised this installment in the infamous "comedy" series. Though at times the word "comedy" is loosely applied, as the essence of comedy is to invoke laughter (which these movies do in children...ie, my initial statement). What was it about this movie that always made me loathe it with every fiber of my being, even at age six? Was it the stupid plot? Was it the lack of Steve Gutenberg? Or is it that I've always hated Florida?

No, no, no. The reason I hate this movie? It's simply not Police Academy. It's just a really, really, really, really bad movie with a really stupid and preposterous boat chase at the end. I give it a one out of ten. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
  • Amusing golf ball slippage indeed. I split my pant laughing. Funny noise man- I shat myself. Tall man - I burst my kidney. Quiet woman who shouts at the end - I leaked urine with laughter. Gun man who likes guns - I burst my colon and shat myself: so amusing.

This was was notable for the silly men slipping on golf balls and for Captain Harris' trouser falling down in the airport.

I am laughing still. Laughing, soiling, leaking urine and reminiscing about this pant splitter of a movie. I love it.

I shall recommend it to all of you as one big mother of a pant splitter. You will laugh, cry, soil, split and above all leak at this movie.
    This movie was very funny. Hilarious pant splitter.

I like the golf balls and the silly men falling on them. Very nicely done. Very funny. The policemen go to Miami and have some fun on a beach. I split my pant laughing.

They slip on golf balls and hurt themselves. I am laughing now. This is funny. Pant splittingly so.

Later, they are swimming in the sea and slip on a golf ball. Three villains are after them all and decide to leave some golf balls on the floor. The silly policemen fall on the golf balls again. Very funny again. I wet my pant laughing. Genius.

I am loving this movie. Still laughing at it as I write. Very nice indeed. I must go now, I have ripped my trouser. Damn, I must go now.
  • utgard1422 June 2014
    Commandant Lassard is forced to retire when he reaches the state's mandatory retirement age. He heads to Florida to receive a special award for his service and the Academy gang follows along. While there, they meet Lassard's nephew Nick (Matt McCoy), who is a poor replacement for Mahoney.

And so here we are: the first Police Academy movie without Steve Guttenberg and the first sequel without Bobcat Goldthwait. It's also the first that is completely unfunny and just outright terrible. Although Guttenberg and Bobcat are absent, there are many returning cast members from the series. Bubba Smith, Michael Winslow, David Graf, Leslie Easterbrook, G.W. Bailey, Marion Ramsey, and George Gaynes all return. Sadly, these actors who were all so likable in the series up until now are kind of annoying here. Terrible direction for a series that just gets worse from here on out.
  • Man is this ever aimed at kids. Jokes dealing with being rolled into a cactus, having "dork" written on your bare chest, women's breasts rising and falling during a limbo contest, (ok that one's not so bad) Kinsey being dragged on a waterski till his butt is exposed, oh I could go on and on. Gaynes, who had been in the background most of the time in these films, becomes the main focus as he's forced into retirement, but also being honored as police officer of the decade (or was it century?). As most know, Guttenberg elected to stay away here, and though his character is not replaced with a new actor, Matt McCoy is the goofball/prankster who joins the ranks. But no matter who is doing the jokes, the writing is just too underpar to keep you grinning. This does feature the most elaborate chase of any of the other films endings, as they ride air boats through the Florida Everglades, about the only excitement in the whole film.
  • As has been said before in my reviews for the previous four 'Police Academy' films, the best of the 'Police Academy' films will always be the original by quite some way. It isn't great and will never be a favourite comedy or overall film of mine, but it clearly knew what it wanted to be so it was easy to take it for what it was and what it set out to do.

It was followed by six sequels, and none of them were as good or even on the same level as the first, though admittedly some are worse than others. Most of them are actually being pretty bad or worse and lose what was enjoyable about the original in the first place. While it was with the fourth film where things properly got particularly stale, it was from the fifth film where finding redeeming qualities proved to be difficult.

Not that 'Police Academy 5' doesn't have them. It has two mildly amusing gags, one with a golf ball and the other involving falling into the water and an alligator. The best performance by a large margin comes from Rene Auberjonois, who seems to be having fun and really makes an effort to liven things up (and he succeeds).

Even with the presence of George Gaynes, G.W. Bailey and Michael Winslow, high points previously, only Auberjonois comes close to giving a good performance. The regulars do do their best but are let down by awful writing and characters that sees bumbling taken to wild extremes that it becomes irritating and intelligence-insultingly stupid. Matt McCoy is an incredibly bland and wooden lead, filling in for Steve Guttenberg (him leaving the series was a very wise decision for him).

'Police Academy 5' looks cheap, with budget and time constraints written all over it, and generally it is also one of the most ineptly directed films of the series. The music, so catchy and infectious in previous instalment, is forgettable at best here and often that is being too kind on it.

Anybody who disliked the writing in the previous three 'Police Academy' sequels will outright hate it here. The dialogue is often mean-spirited and low-brow, and the gags are almost completely unfunny all round (apart from two amusing gags that are not close to being series highlights). They suffer from pedestrian timing and from taking immaturity to a whole new level that one feels their IQ has dropped.

While it has been well established that people don't see the 'Police Academy' films for their stories, the story here feels repetitive and incredibly lazy in execution, and it's only with the kidnapping subplot (which doesn't gel with the rest of the film) where there's a little more momentum. The climax is overlong and dumbness replaces genuine excitement.

Overall, a mess. 2/10 Bethany Cox
  • Where to begin with this one? It's hard to describe how bad this film really is. I was never a fan of the way-too-long-running 'Police Academy' series back in their Eighties heyday, and always did my best to avoid them. Recently, though, I was at a friend's house when he insisted on watching the whole of this catastrophic waste of celluloid as it was being screened on ITV2 on a Sunday afternoon. Even by the low standards set by previous entries in this series, this has to be far worse than anyone could reasonably expect. I'm not without a sense of humour; slapstick and farce, when done by film-makers who actually know what they're doing, can be hilarious - see the 'Naked Gun' films. But the makers of this stinker seem to have no idea about any of the technical aspects that make a comedy movie work. This film is badly directed, has hardly any plot, and plays out like a string of poorly-staged practical jokes thrown together by an untalented bunch of film students. Most of the jokes are so puerile and pathetic that it's insulting to expect anyone older than about 8 years old to find them funny, and some of the dialogue gives the impression that it's been made-up on the spot because it's so weak and unfunny you can't believe it's actually been scripted. At least Steve Guttenburg had some idea about comic timing and delivery of lines - his absence here shows-up most of the rest of the cast looking awkward and embarrassing, delivering some of the weakest one-liners since 'The Krankies'. Anyone who finds this moronic monstrosity of a movie funny, desperately needs a sense of humour transplant.
  • malkane31615 March 2005
    For fans of the series, this is the point when it all began to go wrong. Mahoney and Zed jumped ship leaving two massive gaps in the cast, and their replacements are not good enough. Of the remaining cast, most seem bored with the formula, and only Proctor, Lassard and Harris seem to be putting in any effort. It is them that get most laughs. The plot sees the recruits flying to Miami as Lassard is retiring and they are holding a huge celebration for him. When Lassard accidentally takes a stash of diamonds with him, the crooks follow him trying to get their diamonds back before their boss kills them. They eventually kidnap Lassard who thinks it is all part of the celebration, and the cops race to get him back, along with Lassard's nephew Nick. Naturally Harris and Proctor are around to sabotage things.

As well as the notable loss of Bobcat and Guttenberg, we are missing Kirkand's family, Sweetchuck, Fackler, and all the Citizens on Patrol except House. Tackleberry, Hightower, Jones, Hooks, and Callahan all seem tired and are only there to say a few lines and show once again their individual traits in decreasing comedic quality. Lassard, Proctor, and Harris get the best laughs and at least try with their performances. McCoy as Guttenberg's replacement is weak, lacks charm and his stunts are not as funny. Everything becomes increasingly childish, and the whole film looks and feels like a series of short sketches. The bad guys have their moments, and there are a few moments worthy of parts 1-4. Part 6 would be slightly better, 7 would be rubbish, ensuring that they should have left it at 4. However, now that 8 has been announced, and with the recent resurgence of this kind of humour, it could be good. Tackleberry is gone though, and any entry would not be the same without him.

6 out of 10
  • skippydmb10 February 2005
    I remember watching the first and pretty much the only good one of these movies when I was younger. It was so funny all the trouble that was going on and the jokes and stuff. Well number 5 is nothing to laugh at. I really mean it. I didn't laugh once. In fact, I thought it was over and then I pressed the play button on the TiVo and it said I was an hour into it. I ended up fast forwarding through the last half hour and it was still pretty painful. How could anybody, especially a high ranked police officer think they are being kidnapped for however long this crap went on for. I don't understand whey they kept making these horrible movies. I just don't get it.
  • I hate to do this, but I must be fair to say, this is the worst one, and I mean out of every one, including the 94 Moscow entry. Police Academy 6 is a comedic relief after this. Laughs and gags, just keep misfiring or are they just so weak as is the film. This actually got a Blimp award as Warner's favourite movie. You get to a point in this, where you no longer look at it as a comedy. There were only a couple of things I laughed at in the whole ninety minutes of film, one scene that just sticks out, is the mistaken first class trip, Harris and Proctor take with a few farmyard animals. Even the opening scene, with these two clowns, the gags and it's lazy writing is just water weak. Lassard, who's passed retirement age (this hidden info discovered, thanks to our two bumbling unlikeables who reveal it so of course, the long avenging Harris can take Lassard's place) has been invited to Miami for a commendation farewell party, so he invites his favourite academy of misfits along, where they inadvertently bump heads with a band of bumbling jewel thieves, lead by a familiar snooty face, Rene Auberjonois from the Benson t.v. show, and he laps the bad guy up wonderfully. Too we meet Lassard's likable grandson, also a cop, and a damn fine one (Matt MCcoy) where the laughs and gags, just keep on misfiring, Auberjonois and the beautiful Miami bird watching sights, the best things about this dreaded Academy entry. The delicious Janet Jones as a hot cop with secret deadly karate skills, was a nice edition, where really after, her career just dropped off. An actor I do like too, and didn't mind in this was Archie Hahn as one of Auberjonois's henchman. This is just one of those one's, where the intended funny bits, just keep missing, where our lovable Academy's traits, like Jones's sound tricks, even Tackleberry's over enthused gun play and new choices of weapon gags missed too. Could it be, we're sick of them. That shark in the water gag, at first I thought that shark was intentionally not real, like someone mucking around. No it was real. And Harris's lotion stained message on his sleeping body gag, was something else, that totally didn't go over, as does this supposed comedy. Even it's faded poster design isn't catchy. Check out too how many, revulsed and disapproving looks Harris and Proctor from potentially available babes.
  • sadly there is a nr.5 movie in the series about the police academy. i didn't watch the other ones (thank god?), in a long time, so i cant really tell if this one falls 100% in line with the others. the story is simple enough, too simple for my taste. the acting is real bad, and all the characters are portrayed like they only got an IQ of 50, so you really feel retarded when watching it. the humor is god awful, or in other words really really bad. all the jokes are chopped down in many small scenes, and always about a character trait from the character featured in the scene. the humor is so bad, and the editing makes it more like a really bad sketch show on TV. but one good thing is there to say about this movie. you can see on the actors that they had a fun time making the movie, and thats a good thing. it gives you a positive feeling, despite all the negative things about the movie. so i will say 3/10, because of the joy on the actors faces, and that it is sad that they didn't stop the series earlier (the first ones were decent), but even continued after this one.
  • Choosing plot over simply adding in numerous characters proves to be the downfall of the Police Academy series. Without Guttenberg there's no clear anchor for the film. We get the clichéd and simple (though still charming) side characters in abundance. Matt McCoy tries to fill Guttenberg's shoes, but we're not buying it. Callahan gets a bit more screen time which is always nice, and a Miami setting does her character justice. The final scenes of the series have included foot chases, airplanes, jet skis.etc. So now we have a hovercraft chase. Gaynes has more to do, but people such as Winslow are just on repeat. It's amazing that they will try the kung-fu voice over joke 5 films in a row and expect it to work. Not a difficult watch, and it does have an alligator fight, but this vehicle is low on fuel.
    Crossed up by Harris, our heroes - led by a wimpy Bobby Sherman look-a-like - must clean up his mess and rescue Lassard. As every second counts, what do they do? Coordinate with Miami PD and the FBI? Heck, no! They change into Police Academy shorts and t-shirts! This and the very idea of Lassard as Officer of the Decade is fair warning you better check your brain at the door before watching "PA 5" or your head will explode! Of course, if our heroes had any brains, they (and Harris) would be ecstatic that someone was actually stupid enough to take Lassard off of their hands! Too bad the movie is so lame, because it's actually ahead of its time: Harris never goes anywhere without Proctor; Harris mocks Proctor's pass at a woman; Harris and Proctor get foam on their noses while sipping "potato" coladas; Proctor wears a wet suit showing his ass-ests; the wimpy Bobby Sherman look-a-like becomes Wayne Gretzky's ball-busting fiancée's bitch; the Bobby Sherman look-a-like writes on Harris with semen-like sunblock. There ought to be a law! Hee! Hee!
  • The childish pranks and adult façade of humor continue in the 5th installment of the cult classic franchise. Again we see America's most inept law enforcement clowns that head to sunny Miami to honor Commandant Lassard as Police Officer of the Decade. The aging and often-confused head of the Police Academy, Commandant Lassard (George Gaynes), has reached mandatory retirement age, much to the pleasure of the devious Capt. Harris (G.W. Bailey), who is still scheming to take over his job. Lassard, Harris, and a handful of the Academy's "distinguished" graduates (including Bubba Smith, Michael Winslow, Leslie Easterbrook, and Marion Ramsey) travel to Miami Beach for a special ceremony to commemorate Lassard's years of service as he leaves the force; however, a luggage mix-up puts the clumsy cops in the middle of a massive illegal arms deal. Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach was the first film in the long-running series that did not star Steve Guttenberg (Bob Goldthwait also left the franchise at this point), but most of the other regulars bravely soldiered on without him.
    Honestly, there is just so much wrong with this film that I honestly don't know where to start. I guess the thing is that this is the fifth movie in the series, and we really can't expect the creators to really be coming up with anything all that original. Sure, they send them to Miami Beach, but come on, that is just a gimic on what is becoming to be a rather worn out saga. Yeah, that and no Steve Guttenberg, but I guess he got to that point in time when he realised that it was time to pull the plug.

Well, Harris is back, but honestly there isn't anything all that different between Mauser and Harris, and no doubt the only reason they changed names was due to two different people playing the role. However, they are both as annoying as each other, and if there is one person who is more annoying than Harris and that is Proctor, who has been hanging around like a bad smell since the second film.

Apparently Harris really wants the job as the commondant of the Police Academy, so he basically tries to dig up some dirt on Lessard, and discovers that he has passed retirement age. Anyway, Lessard has been awarded with Police Officer of the Decade, so he and his friends all travel to Miami for the award ceremony. The thing is that some crooks are also there.

Yeah, if having Harris and Proctor wasn't bad enough, we also have this gang of thieves that are so incompetant that one actually wanders how they managed to pull of the heist in the first instance. Anyway, they accidentally switch bags with Lessard, so as well as the antics of Harris and Proctor, you also have these incompetant thieves attempting to get the bag, and the jewels, back.

Honestly, this film was pretty bad, but I still intend on making my way through the next two so I can wipe them off my list as well.
    Like the last few sequels in the POLICE ACADEMY series, Assignment: Miami Beach is a tedious instalment in the franchise that's happy to repeat all the best gags from previous movies and add little in the way of freshness or originality. The decision to move the action to a Floridian beach sounds good at the outset but instead the viewer is simply subjected to another barrage of lame beach-focused gags instead of anything approaching wit.

Steve Guttenberg had left the series by this time and Matt McCoy is a wooden stand-in for him. Some of the regular cast members aren't bad but they're let down by the poor quality of the script, which really needed some polishing. The golf ball gag was one of the few I enjoyed. Later in the story, Rene Auberjonois has a fun role in an unusual kidnapping plot, which at least breathes a little life into the film, but sadly it's not enough to make this a success.
  • This movie begins with "Captain Harris" (G. W. Bailey) and his mindless subordinate, "Proctor" (Lance Kinsey) breaking into the office of "Commandant Lassard" (George Gaynes) in search of anything that might be used to their advantage. What they discover is a document which contains information that the Commandant has reached an age which mandates his retirement. Needless to say, this news comes as a very, very welcome surprise to Captain Harris--to the extent that even the announcement of the Commandant being selected as "the Police Officer of the Year" doesn't disturb him in the least. If anything, it spurs Captain Harris to fly to Miami Beach where the award is to be presented so that he can hob-nob with the police commissioner in order to further his ambitions of becoming successor to Commandant Lassard. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film suffers from not having either Steve Guttenberg (who played "Officer Mahoney") or my personal favorite, Bobcat Goldthwait ("Zed") in it. Fortunately, Matt McCoy (as "Nick") managed to fill the vacancy of Steve Guttenberg to a certain degree and some of the other characters-most notably Leslie Easterbrook ("Officer Callahan") and the aforementioned George Gaynes-managed to step up a bit as well. So it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Even so, being the 5th movie of the series this film still had a hard time duplicating the success of the first or second pictures and as a result I have rated it accordingly. Slightly below average.