• Stop and think about this movie for a minute, and you realize that we are unbelievably fortunate that it even exists.

Think about all the different cartoon characters who have cameos here. Think about how their respective owners had to put aside decades of competing against each other for gags that would last a few seconds of screen time. Realise that, before this movie, the idea of combining fully rendered animated characters with live action footage was considered impossible. And how the hell do you market a movie that includes both murder plots and fuzzy little cartoons?

This movie is a miracle.

I absolutely loved it as a kid, and although parts of it flew over my head I really did not care. I did know that this is what animation can do when all the "rules" are totally ignored. And why shouldn't they be?

Now, as an adult, I appreciate "Roger Rabbit" for its gutsyness. There is absolutely *nothing* like this anywhere. It gets a solid Ten.
  • I was a little surprised that "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" wasn't on the top 250. Almost everyone loves this film. It was a major breakthrough for movies. The cartoon world meets reality.

Bob Haskins is to die for in this film, he plays such a great American detective and he didn't have much to work with. After all when he was talking to Roger, he wasn't really talking to anybody since it was a cartoon character. I love the way he develops his role so much, how he goes from this stick-to-the-book and all cartoons are bad to this lovable goofy guy due to Roger's insatiable love for life and cartoons. It's silly because it's a cartoon, but Roger and Bob clicked so well and are unforgettable.

Christopher Lloyd... shudder! This guy gave me so many nightmares as a kid from his character as the judge. The ending where he reveals his true form, he is just terrifying and effective. Jessica Rabbit is so cool and sexy for a cartoon. She's just too much fun for this movie and is wonderful as a cartoon. "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way". My favorite scene is without a doubt when Eddie(played by Bob) is looking for Jessica and meets the crazy look-a-like in Toon Town. Just great and hilarious.

Come on, fans! This is a terrific movie and deserves to be on the top 250 films of all time! It's a break through for cinema history and movies in general. It's a great one! I'd highly recommend this for the family and friends or just a Saturday with nothing to do.

• When this original movie was conceived and released in 1988, it was seen as a movie for the kids, but it soon found its way into the hearts of moviegoers everywhere. This was a landmark movie, cementing skills from all areas of Hollywood, from the budding special effects industry, to the acting skills of Bob Hoskins, to the SUPERB directing skills of Robert Zemeckis, to create one of the most impressive movies in Hollywood.

While this movie was not the first of it's kind, it was definitely the first to have cartoons and real actors interact so seamlessly, and it is impressive that it was made over 15 years ago. Another impressive part of this movie is the soundtrack, using the classic 20's jazz song "Why Don't You Do Right?" to bring back the old jazz club scene, to make for a truly authentic feel from a cartoon character, as well as the detective music used all originally composed. All around, this movie is one that I Grew up with, and children and adults will be enjoying for decades to come, because Who Framed Roger Rabbit will be a classic in the movie world for a long long time.
  • I'm a fan of both cartoons and film noir movies, and so Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a great experience to me. Set in the 1940's, in a shadowy atmosphere reminiscent of Bogart classics such as The Maltese Falcon, the movie blends in cartoon characters and live actors almost seamlessly. For me, one of the most interesting aspects of the movie was seeing Disney and Warner Bros cartoon characters in the same scenes - for the first time in film history, I believe. Who could forget the piano duel of Donald and Daffy? The live actors were a bit theatrical and over-dramatic at times, but not to an extent that would have made the film unbearable or bad. The cartoon characters saved a lot, too.

Fast-paced, entertaining film that can be viewed by anyone. I liked it very much.
  • Valeen_the_II17 November 2006
    This movie is excellent! It's funny, suspenseful,& witty. The leads, Roger & Eddie are likable in their own unique ways and the FX are breathtaking! Bob Hoskins & Chris Lloyd deserved Oscar nods IMO.

WFRR is what most of today's CGI films "pretend" to be! A mature, family film that people of many generations can enjoy!

Anyone who hasn't seen this film I definitely recommend it! If you like quirky comedies,fantasies, suspenseful films, or are a cartoon geek watch WFRR!...

As a huge fan of all things comedic, I love the film's message about laughter!

When the film opens, detective Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) is this disenchanted, cynical alkie who hasn't gotten over the murder of his brother who was killed by a toon...Because of this Eddie[ who was once known for his penchant for solving toon-related cases, getting the colorful playful creatures out of trouble] resents ALL toons now and refuses to work for or with them.

Too bad Roger Rabbit doesn't know this. He is a toon who is wanted for a murder he didn't commit and hounded by the creepy & corrupt judge/jury/executioner : Judge Doom. Thus he seeks Valiant's help. During their search for the true killer and their evasion of Judge Doom & his weasel cohorts, Eddie wonders how Roger can have such an exuberant clownlike spirit in the face of possible death. Roger tells Eddie "a laugh can be a very powerful thing, why sometimes in life it's the only weapon we have."

The tone of the film is a mixture of dark noir frenetic tooniness a sultry yet strong damsel (the one and only Jessica Rabbit) and social racial allegory.

The film's theme of minorities (the toons) vs. genocide & "the man" (Judge Doom)....And of Eddie's prejudices against toons (due to his brother's murder) disappearing at the end, thus he overcomes his alcoholism and grief or Roger's very motto of "Laughter is a powerful weapon" and how that helps Eddie in the final showdown (by killing the weasels with laughter and thwarting Judge Doom with a toon prop that malfunctions his diabolical machine).

American Pop-culture & escapism ARE powerful weapons against misery, hatred & life's hardships in general. And they help unite all different walks of life.

WFRR takes place in the WWII era towards the 50s...While the 40's were a time of American unity, escapism & pop-culture (what the "toons" represent) The 50's were more about cold hard, capitalism technology & being superior..I feel that the megalomaniac villain represents THAT as well as the racial/cultural insensitivity that came with the 50's.

But no matter how you interpret WFRR it's an American masterpiece! There seems to be some controversy on what age it is appropriate for....Be warned this film IS violent loud climatic and more likely than not, will scare a young child. But if you are a parent you have to know your kid and realize what will give him or her nightmares. Having said that, even if you won't let junior watch it, that doesn't mean you, yourself can't enjoy it, the next time it comes on Encore Mystery.

There are a lot of "Judge Dooms" these days...People who are perpetually serious & full of themselves & really have NO sense of humor at all...Don't be a Judge Doom...Watch this movie!
  • Oh, this is the first movie I've seen to have live characters and cartoons come together, maybe not for the first time, I've seen Jerry dance with Gene Kelly once, but that's another movie! Anyways this was my childhood favorite and perhaps an all time, and will always be a favorite to me. Every time I watch there is a magic moment, that the cartoons we all loved as kids are still the best today, even though we are into computer animation, Batman, X-Men, or anime, we can never say we hate those old Looney Toons or Disney shows. And the antics and jokes and gags and gimmicks they did will always remain the funniest, even though we dig jokes from Saturday Night Live or sex jokes these days. This is also the first time I've seen Disney and Warner cartoons for the first time! And not to mention Betty Boop and Droopy! Overall, this is the best animated and live movie the whole family can enjoy, and fans of the old cartoons will love. Recommended to all fans of cartoons of the golden years of Disney and Warner. Thank you Disney, thank you Warner. And if liked this, I recommend you play the video game Kingdom Hearts, this time it's Final Fantasy/Squaresoft and Disney together! >>>> 10/10
  • To make a great classic film i think it has to work on several different levels and this one not only plays on many different levels It scores tremendously.

It is a great childrens movie. With zany classic characters such as Roger, the Weasles, and Benny the Cab. They are original crazy and fun. Also it is a mystery. It plays perfectly as one of those Old 50's detective stories. It is a milestone in film making. The scenes of the "toons" and humans sharing a world is great. I think the best scene as special effects go, is the one where Eddie and Roger are handcuffed together in his office. It looks so real!!!!! This movie is fun and creative and will go down in movie history. I don't know what else to say it is simply the best.

Also do your self a favor and steer clear of the bad rip off Cool World.
  • I say this film is a family film because that is what it is. Anyone in the family will like it. It pitches it's animated rabbit to the kids, and for the teens and adults, they can look for humor in other things. The plot is a complicated one (like most detective mysteries) that brings a drunken detective back to the detective game of cartoons. Sometimes funny, sometimes compassionate, always entertaining. With director Zemeckis bringing one of the best animated films in a film that is half live action/half animated. It is a landmark in visual effects and nothing like this will ever come around again. A+
  • "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" appears to be a film for the kiddies on first glance, but this is a somewhat complicated murder mystery that never gets old or dull. The animated title character has been framed and now he is out to clear his name with the help of a human detective (Bob Hoskins). Robert Zemeckis cemented his ability to make a film with this winner. The special effects, which are remarkable, never detract from the story and in the end they add a great dimension to this fine motion picture. Overlooked in 1988, but the best film from that weak year. 5 stars out of 5.
  • Watching this for the umpteenth time, I am struck by how much this movie resembles Brazil (1985). What, you will say, that was a grim and serious story set in a horrible dystopia. Ah, yes, but one of its main satirical weapons was its over-the-top humour.

Well, Roger Rabbit inverts the formula. We seem to have a zany cartoon comedy. but underlying this is a story about racism and genocide. The cartoon characters, who coexist with humans, are shown as a tolerated subordinated race, good for "singing and dancing and running and jumping". They are called "Toons", which resembles another epithet that used to be a nasty name for black people. And the "solution" is exactly that - a solution of benzene and acetone that will exterminate the Toons by dissolving them.

Both movies are set in something that resembles the 1940's, which gives lots of opportunity for spoofing films noir of the sort that Bogart et al. used to make.

How could something so serious be funny? The best comedy is just a hare's breadth (sorry, couldn't resist) removed from tragedy, which is why Hogan's Heroes is so funny while Disney comedies fall flat from gooey sentiment. Kids love Roger Rabbit, and that should be the ultimate test of whether it's comic or not.

It still amazes me how many grown-ups fail to perceive the underlying message of tolerance and understanding. Perhaps they don't want to...
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of the zaniest and smartest movies to come out in a long time..Directed by Robert Zemeckis who later did Forrest Gump and Castaway among others, it stars Bob Hoskins as a washed up private eye in the 50s who gets dragged into a murder investigation in Toonland to help unravel a mystery and prove the innocence of a toon Roger Rabbit.

One of the real treats of the movie is Kathleen Turner who does the voice of Jessica Rabbit..She is a perfect choice with that sexy sultry voice. The movie is great fun for the whole family..there is a little innuendo but like Jessica says.."I'm not bad..I'm just drawn that way"

A real treat! Holds the record for most credits at the end of a movie (937!) On a scale of one to ten... 9
  • "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is a wonder in the art of making films. Because it mixes live-action and cartoons, it was a challenge to be made. But that's exactly what makes it so distinguish and unique, especially considering that the idea works out so well. It's a different and original movie experience, a real winner.

Yet, the film is more than a combination of live-action and cartoons. It has a dark atmosphere with lots of suspense, almost like a thriller. Classic humor isn't forgotten either, with numerous funny lines and hysterical gags, as well as humorous characters. The joke about «uncle Thumper» is one of the funniest, but there are many others. There's also a hilarious piano acting with Donald Duck and Daffy Duck, which they play the same piano song as in Tom & Jerry's short "The Cat Concerto" and have their hilariously silly battle. In fact, the soundtrack of the movie is excellent, including Jessica Rabbit's song "Why don't you do right?" and a suspense music very similar to one from the original "Back to the Future".

Other movies that successfully mix live-action and cartoons are "Mary Poppins", "Pete's Dragon" and "Bedknobs and Broomsticks". Like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", those three movies combine this "marriage" very well. On the other hand, other movies such as "Space Jam" tried this idea but without the same success.

I believe that this movie was made in a unique moment of inspiration. The sceneries are great, the designs, the cartoons, the backgrounds, the details, the animation, the special effects, the artwork... everything was carefully made and I much welcome that. This is one of the greatest Disney films.

Great actors make the difference too. Bob Hoskins is English but speaks with an excellent American accent, not to mention that he does the amazing thing of acting against the air. Joanna Cassidy, Charles Fleischer, Alan Tilvern, Stubby Kaye, Cristopher Lloyd and Kathleen Turner are awesome too. Kathleen Turner is the voice of Jessica Rabbit, with that sexy and sensual voice. And... guess what! Even the singer Frank Sinatra has a minor role in this film as the hilarious but useless Singing Sword. Even without looking at the credits, who wouldn't recognize that great voice? Frank Sinatra's voice is just as recognizable as Nat King Cole's or Sterling Holloway's.

As for the characters, the weasels are a perfect example of chronical stupidity. They're humorous because they're always laughing, even though they know what happens to someone who can't stop laughing.

Marvin Acme is «the king of the jokes», always humorous and cheerful and at his funniest with his mythical hand-buzzer. Angelo is an idiot, drunk and greedy guy, but funny at the same time. Dolores is a great character. R. K. Maroon is an interesting character with half a dark side and half a good side. Judge Doom is a great villain, humorous, mysterious and somewhat sinister. Roger Rabbit is hilarious and very jolly - that's his only purpose as a cartoon, like he says himself. Jessica Rabbit is a very sexy cartoon, one of the most beautiful and sexiest ever - she's not bad, she's just drawn that way. Benny the Cab is funny. Baby Herman is a bit annoying - he might look innocent at first, but he is extremely rude and he loves to woo women. Eddie Valiant is another great character - grumpy, serious and funny sometimes. And he looks very much like my godfather in appearance.

The movie takes place in Hollywood, 1947. It does recreate the 40's very well. That influence is notorious in many ways, including the cars used.

Before finishing, let me say that I like rabbits very much. They're adorable and very cute animals, although in the cartoons they aren't as cute - but they're usually funny in cartoons.

This should definitely be on Top 250.
  • One word, outstanding! i loved this when I was a kid. I'm 16 now and i still love it. The live action with the animation was perfectly blended, and I was howling with laughter at the beginning. The story is perfect, about a rabbit framed for a murder, when he suspects his wife of cheating on him. Bob Hoskins was brilliant as the melancholy drunk private eye, while Christopher Lloyd has great fun as the very scary villain. I would never have guessed the ending in a million years, totally unpredictable, and quite scary too. The real stars were the toons. Some of the funniest scenes were with them, like Eddie in ToonTown, and the weasels were a blast. reminded me of the Untouchables, actually. I didn't know for ages, that Kathaleen Turner voiced Jessica Rabbit, wow that woman is beautiful. Turner voiced Jessica brilliantly. in conclusion, a hugely satisfying part animated comedy, that both kids and adults will love. 10/10 Bethany Cox
  • royals79421 June 2008
    I have never seen another movie like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Sure, there are other movies that blend animation with live action, such as "Space Jam", but no other does it as seamlessly and more importantly, as entertainingly. The movie opens with a cartoon which by itself is hysterical. What follows immediately after the cartoon is even funnier and sets the tone for the zaniness and unexpectedness of the film. The jokes and sight gags are non-stop and the actors interact so perfectly with the cartoons that Toon Town seems to be a real place. Bob Hoskins is wonderful as the down-on-his-luck private eye who ends up protecting Roger Rabbit and Christopher Lloyd is equally great (and terrifying) as the evil Judge Doom. But the movie belongs to Roger Rabbit; Charles Fleischer deserved at least an Oscar nomination for his fantastic voicing of the character. Roger Rabbit is an instant classic cartoon character and has countless hilarious lines. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is great for kids but even better for teenagers and adults. I know that I now enjoy it even more than I did when I saw it for the first time as a seven year old. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is one of the most enjoyable films ever made, and as Roger Rabbit says, perhaps describing the movie as a whole, "My whole purpose in life is to make... people... laugh!" I give this movie my highest recommendation possible to kids and adults: 10/10!
  • Bobs Hoskins,Christopher Lloyd,Joanna Cassidy,CharlesFleischer, Stubby Kaye,Alan Tilvern and a super multitude of Voice Actors, Artists and Technicians.Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Lord! What a crazy premise for a film!

When we were kids, we often asked some of the most outlandish questions, like: Who's stronger, Superman or Captain Marvel? Who'd win in a fight, King Kong or Mighty Joe Young? Did Adam and Eve have Belly Buttons? Kids don't realize that different characters belong to different companies and couldn't and wouldn't appear together, or would they?

Director Zemeckis, Author Gary K. Wolf and the immense crew, all try to ask and answer a similarly "impossible" situational occurrence. Just what if all of Hollywood's animated Cartoon characters were really live creatures called "Toons", and what would happen if they had scandals like their human counterparts?

Our old suspension of disbelief is supposed to bring us to a Post World War II Hollywood, where we find that the animated cartoon characters that we know from the local movie house, are really living, breathing creatures! Well, after e see the opening, Director Robert Zemeckis has us won over to his side.

Private Investigator, Eddie Valiant, is summoned by Movie Mogul R.K. Maroon to his Studio to take a job. Because the subject of the case is their Star Cartoon Character, Roger Rabbit, the Detective balks at accepting the assignment because, "I don't work for Toons!"(A Toon being one of these "living" cartoon characters.)

The economic situation at The Valiant Detective Agency dictates otherwise and Eddie is off. The Game's afoot!

As the story unfolds we learn of previous happenings in Valiant's life. We find out that his brother and partner in the Private I business was killed by a Toon in Toon Town, apparently the name for their section of Hollywood/L.A.

The story unfolds like an artichoke, revealing a secretive world of crime, illicit sex and political corruption that would be the envy of Dashiel Hammett's Sam Spade, Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe or the Robert Towne/Roman Polanski collaboration on CHINATOWN(1974).

Like the meandering of a great river, the plot twists and turns wherein we finally have the answer to the Roger Rabbit's accused whodunnit, but also to the killing of Eddie Valiant's brother, who was_______________! No, that would definitely be a spoiler!

The film succeeds on several levels. Obviously it is a great animated feature, and one surely unlike any that have gone before. Chances are there will be other efforts (like the very enjoyable Warner Brother/Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies production of SPACE JAM(1996)starring Michael Jordan, Wayne Knight, Bill Murray, Charles Barkley, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Sylvester, Tweety, Taz Devil, Foghorn Leghorn, et al......)

It is also a very good spoof of the Hard Boiled Detective story or even the Film Noir genre that had gotten so popular during and (especially) after World War II. The sets, the costuming, hair styles,the fashions and the vintage autos made it very much of a period piece.

So, no matter what, this WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? was nothing special, I mean there's no deep meaning, no symbolism, no message-right? Well, I'm not so sure. Please, indulge me and check out what follows.

Well, to begin with Eddie Valiant expresses a deep dislike for this certain group, these TOONS. His brother was killed by a TOON. The two brothers had been cops in TOON TOWN. And when the mention was made of that INK AND PAINT Club, followed by the caveat,"Humans Only!"

Now, can you think of any real life situation that would put you to thinking about this situation? Where did we have sections of a city that were occupied by one group but had entertainment establishments that catered to those from outsider their local community? Was there or is there still sections of a city referred to as being (Blank!)Town? Maybe it's just my overactive imagination!

But, I don't think so.
    In 1988, movies like Shrek,Robots, Spacejam and stuff, did not exist,so,'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'was kind of an innovation for that time,showing the interaction between cartoons and humans in the 40's. I always remember 'Cool World'(1992, that is also about this type of interaction; but 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'is much better in funnier.

I love Disney characters and Looney toons,and I also liked Jessica Rabbit as well. :) (let's be honest, she is the sexiest female cartoon ever!And much better than Holli of 'Cool World' as well.) The first time I watched this movie, I was 8 or 9 years old,and nowadays, watching it again with 19, I can say with absolutely security that is one of my favorite movies ever.:)
  • skallisjr20 August 2005
    This film is a good entertainment, with detective Eddie Valient suffering the slings and arrows of trying to solve a crime in a town where logic goes out the window. Although I don't consider it a family film, most of the stuff that likely might concern parents would probably go over the heads of the little children watching it.

The film, though, is full of animators' in-jokes. Only someone with an historical perspective of cartoons is likely to get some of the throwaways sneaked into the film. For instance, at one point, Valiant is falling from a height in Toontown, and He's saved by being caught by a Toon woman. We first see her from the back, and we think that possibly she might be Jessica Rabbit. But then we see her face, which is Coyote ugly.

Spoilers follow: That's a funny enough sight gag, but the capper is that her face was the winning entry in a contest run by the newspaper comic strip, Li'l Abner. In that strip, there was supposed to be a woman so ugly that her face was never shown. She was Lena the Hyena. Finally, the strip ran a contest to see who could come up with the best face for her, and the result, which I seem to recall, may have been drawn by Basil Wolverton, was what you saw on the screen.

Another: near the close of the film, after the brick wall of the warehouse broke open, the first glimpse of the Toontown area we see shows trees and flowers swaying in the breeze. That view was from the first Disney color cartoon, Trees and Flowers. There are other cartoon tidbits scattered throughout the film, and they're fun to spot.

A really good film for animation historians, as well as being entertaining.
  • vidarandre-9634126 December 2018
    Made in a time when everything didn't have to be PC. The fact that all the respectable cartoon "owners" came together and gave their accept to this movie is nothing short of a miracle.

The combination of playfull cartoons and a murder plot, drinking and smoking etc, is outstanding and I find it hard to imagine that this could've happend in today's "perfect" society, sadly.

Great movie, great animation, great actors and great plot. 10/10.
  • Roger Rabbit is a distracted Toon performer in the Maroon Cartoon studio. R.K. Maroon hires Toon-hating private detective Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) to investigate Jessica Rabbit and break up their relationship once and for all. Toons supposedly killed Eddie's brother. A private company called Cloverleaf buys up the public transit Red Car. Bartender Dolores (Joanna Cassidy) is an old friend. At the nightclub to see Jessica perform, Eddie photographs Jessica playing pattycake with the owner of Toontown Marvin Acme. Roger Rabbit is distraught and when Marvin Acme turns up dead, he's the prime suspect. Creepy Judge Doom (Christopher Lloyd) intends on tracking down the Rabbit and bringing order to Toontown with the use of his dip. Acme supposed to have a Will leaving Toontown to the Toons. Eddie starts finding evidence of wrong-doing as he investigates.

This is a great marriage between the cartoon world and an old style hard-boiled detective story. The only problem is that future live-action animation never lived up to the imagination and shear audacity of this work. The genre becomes mostly kids movies. This is great for kids and for adults who see the influence of classic noirs like Chinatown in this. Bob Hoskins is a great unconventional lead and Jessica Rabbit is the breakout cartoon character.
    "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is just an incredibly credible film! This should have easily won the Oscar for best picture, but of course, it wasn't a serious or "important" picture. But, long after whatever did win is forgotten, WFRR will be watched and enjoyed. The performances are terrific, especially Bob Hoskins as hard boiled Eddie Valiant. Christopher Lloyd is both funny and frightening as the villainous Judge Doom, Joanna Cassidy manages to be the sane and secure anchor in the chaotic half Toon, half natural world. The great cartoons, Bugs, Mickey, Daffy, Donald, Porky, Dumbo and the rest actually look as if they are as real as the humans around them. Roger Rabbit and his knockout wife, Jessica, are terrific creations, and I hope we see more of them. The humor is both timeless and topical. The movie follows the traditional tough P I film formula seen in, among others, "The Maltese Falcon" and "Chinatown". Other reviews have detailed the plot, so I won't belabor it here, just check out not only the feature, but also the extras on the DVD. Simply a great movie and a great accomplishment to meld the world of Toons and humans. 10!!!
  • Devotchka29 September 2004
    Roger Rabbit is a marvel, especially considering when it was made. Since 1988, there have been other films combining animation and live action (think: Cool World, Space Jam, and similar crap) but none of them have matched the quality of Roger Rabbit despite the fact that it preceded them by years and was made without the benefit of computer graphics. I'm not just referring to its almost seamless blend of Toon Town and The Real World, either--though certainly, the artistry of Roger Rabbit still manages to outshine its various clones by far. The plot, characters, and screen writing are perfect, hilarious, and a lot of fun.

Bob Hoskins is amazing--I love the husky voice and accent he's adopted--and Joanna Cassidy, who plays Dolores, is rarely praised as she should be, it seems. Charles Fleischer, as the voice of Roger Rabbit (and a few other characters!) is perfect, too. He's an incredibly talented voice actor and this fact is more than obvious here.

I also want to mention how much I like the lovely, melancholy soundtrack of this film.

I loved this movie when it came out--I was just out of kindergarten--and I love it now. One of the many things that are so wonderful about Who Framed Roger Rabbit is its accessibility. It's full of innuendo and adult humor, but the characters are so much fun that viewers of any age should enjoy watching.
  • Down on his luck Eddie Valiant is hired by cartoon studio producer RK Maroon to help get his main star, Roger Rabbit, to focus on the job rather than his wife. To do this Valiant is told to get photographs of Jessica Rabbit with another man. He does this but it only serves to send Roger into a rage and he storms off the lot. When the man that was photographed with Jessica turns up dead the next day, Roger is wanted by the police and the toon hating Judge Doom. Roger goes to Valiant to help him, but is there more to the story than meets the eye?

I saw this film years ago in the cinema as a child and loved it then just as much as I do now. The plot is a classic bit of noir - complete with drunken, bitter private dick, a beautiful but untrustworthy femme fatale, plot twists and a patsy. The twist here is that this is a kids film (more or less) and that it features cartoon characters! This works well - making it accessible for kids but still clever enough for adults.

That's not to say that the adults won't like the cartoons too. With so many famous characters making cameos there is plenty of cartoons for adults to enjoy. The humour of the film is quite violent and may not be appropriate for younger children - especially the steamroller scene near the end which I found a little upsetting when I saw this as a preteen. Regardless of that the film is still pretty funny and can be enjoyed by most, even if kids won't get the plot or references to other movies.

Hoskins is good - he fits the rundown noir mould well but can also clown when he has to. Lloyd is a great bad guy - scary enough to bother kids but not comic to the point that he is a clown character to adults. Jessica Rabbit sticks in the mind, likely one of the best femme fatales if she were real, she is voiced really well by Turner and the animation fits her voice well. Fleischer's Roger is good for a cartoon character but it is often the other cartoon characters that are more enjoyable; not only the various cameos but also the weasels and the taxicab.

Overall this is a good movie but maybe not for young kids due to the dark edge and some scary scenes. However for older children and adults this is real good fun - a good plot, a noir atmosphere and a clever twist on the creation of cartoons in the real world.
  • "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is one great movie. One reason I absolutely love it is because the animation was all done by hand. Now, cartoons mixed with real life are all done by computer. Secondly, the acting is awesome. The actors really made the characters come to life. They really convince you that they are interacting with the toons. The most prominent reason as to why I really like this movie is because the humor is absolutely genius. There's a good mix between children's jokes and a sort of risqué comedy.

Overall, this is my favorite animated feature, maybe even my favorite movie of all time. I can watch it over and over again and the humor is just as fresh as the first time I watched it.
  • Before Mermaid. Before Beauty Beast. Before Lion King. Before Toy Story. Before Shrek. There was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. This is the film that started the animation revolution of the 90's. And, for good reason. It's imaginative. It's funny. It's beautifully shot. It's beautifully animated. It's perfectly directed. It's perfectly cast. It's ... perfect. This film has aged very well and DESERVES to be in the top 250. So, why isn't it? My guess: it's still receiving backlash from many who see it as a kid's cartoon- a non computer animated kid's cartoon at that. It's also a better Zemeckis film than Back to the Future, which is in the top 250. Roger Rabbit is a true original and an American classic. Let's give it the respect it deserves. 9/10
  • I have always loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit.Christopher Lloyd is great as Judge Doom and Bob Hoskins was very good. It was so cool to see most of the great cartoon characters together in one film. The music is great by Alan Silvestri! This is cool film and if you haven't seen it yet then I recommend you see it soon!