User Reviews (179)

• "Lethal Weapon 2" is the type of sequel you don't screw with, for fear of getting seriously beat up if you do. Luckily the praise comes as easily as the film is good -- and boy, is it good.

If you haven't seen "Lethal Weapon" (1987), get off your computer, drop that Cheez-It out of your hand, rush to your closest video outlet and buy it. If you have seen it, then drop that Cheez-It out of your hand, rush to your closest video outlet and buy the sequel, "Lethal Weapon 2." It's a real ball-breaker, a bruiser, the type of film where the heroes get beat up mercilessly but when they get mad, boy are they mad, and they tear apart everything in their path that is standing in their way. There's a particular shoot-out scene aboard a docked ship where Riggs (Mel Gibson) goes on a rampage and really kicks butt with a vengeance.

But I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

The film opens with a high-speed car chase on a freeway in Downtown LA. Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) are in hot pursuit, tearing up Murtaugh's wife's brand-new car as they chase the speeder through an underground tunnel, up a bridge, and so on and so forth.

When they finally catch the speeder they find African gold hidden in the back of his truck. Soon they are being threatened to stay off of the case by African diplomats, one of whom Riggs really enjoys annoying. They can't arrest them because of diplomatic immunity, so Riggs goes in and shoots up the place where they're staying.

Riggs finds himself a new girl (Patsy Kensit), while Murtaugh protects a federal witness named Leo Getz (Joe Pesci), a lovable little blabbermouth who likes being one of the cops. He waddles around throughout the film like a little eager puppy, ready to do anything he's told. Of course Riggs and Murtaugh pick on him throughout the movie, but their friendship is a sort of love-to-hate, explained in "Lethal Weapon 4" (1997).

What a hard action movie/sequel this is. I had heard nothing very positive about this movie until right before I saw it. I sat down, watched it directly after I watched "Lethal Weapon," and realized just how great of a sequel it really is. It's not repetitive -- it continues the character progression and friendship seen at the end of "Lethal Weapon," while at the same time adding a bit more humor than the first film.

One of the things I praise about the first "Lethal Weapon" movie is that the characters didn't just suddenly agree to like each other at the end of the movie like so many films. They gradually learned to trust each other throughout the film, adding a sense of true friendship and realism to the film. In "Lethal Weapon 2," the friendship between Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh is definitely expanded more to the point where they're best buddies. Most of the time when there is a sequel to a cop-buddy film, the directors and writers are afraid to continue the friendship. They seem to forget the end of the original film, and in the second film the characters hate each other again and the progress of friendship starts all over again. (As seen in such films as "Another 48 Hrs.")

But "Lethal Weapon 2" is brave -- it isn't afraid to continue the story. I think that might be part of what makes it such a great, well-rounded series. It never really repeats itself, it always seems eager to move forward and ignore the past. The first film was a humorous, hard cop-buddy film about two opposites learning to trust each other. The second movie is a continuation of their friendship. The third film is almost a full-out comedy. And the fourth film is a tribute to the first three. Darn good film-making here.

"Lethal Weapon 2" is quite possibly one of the best sequels of all time. It avoids repetitions, it avoids cop-buddy clichés, and when it all comes down to it, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover and Joe Pesci are such an amazing trio, that even if this film did follow the routine procedures I'd still love it. And you can't say that about many movies.
  • Many action flicks over the years have been called loud and dumb. This is no exception. The "Lethal Weapon" series has never been especially noted for its intellect but it has something that a lot of action films lack: heart. Mel Gibson and Danny Glover's winning chemistry created some of the most tender moments in the series and "Lethal Weapon 2" excels because they make the audience care about their characters. This movie is by far the best in the series with tones of moments registering directly to the viewer. Gibson and Glover provide these characters with depth that could easily have been lacking and the ending of this film leaves the audience actually feeling the love these two men have for each other. And, as a bonus, "Lethal Weapon 2" digs even deeper into one of the protagonist's past, shedding even more light as to why he is the way he is.
    In keeping up the tradition of the original "Lethal Weapon", the sequel still continues the time-honoured tradition to providing the the action, the humour, and the thrills that made "Lethal Weapon I" one of the best buddy-cop movies in the history of cinema. The chemistry between Riggs (Mel Gibson) and Murtaugh (Danny Glover)is still remarkable. The only thing now is that Riggs is less self-destructive as he was in the first movie, but I guess it's so that in the first he tries to get over the loss of his wife and he somehow has moved on. Not as exciting as the first, but still very believable.

Some historical-political elements that provides some surprising educational facts are delivered here in the movie that's obscurely mentioned in classrooms. Here it takes aim the the South African apartheid fiasco that ran from 1948, up until 1994 by Nelson Mandela who over-turned the government and became President of South Africa putting a stop to apartheid. During it's dying stages, the government provided segregated communities to it diverse ethnics and tried to promote theocracy. The South Africans depicted may have been over the top, but the political upheaval was executed immaculately.

In spite of that cultural reference, there's a setback to it as well. I don't understand why did the South Africans killed Riggs' wife and now have targeted his girlfriend. What's up with that? The whole logic was completely null and void and has no logic to it at all. Some editing should have been taken to consideration.

It's still an enjoyable film, but the first one stands above them all.
  • First of all this movie is almost as good as the original. It retains all of the elements that made the first film so darn entertaining and adds some new elements.

As all actors from the first movie appear in the second one as well its pretty clear what you can expect acting wise and surprise, surprise: The acting is still stellar, close to perfection. Mel Gibson is always good and in the second installment of the series he gets to be a little more wild and add even more nuances to the character. For example we get to see Riggs hit on women which adds an entire new side to him as the side we saw in the first film was of him mourning. Also we find out how his wife dies in a beautifully underacted scene (if you want to know how she dies you'll have to see the movie). Danny Glover returns as well and he plays the character pretty much as he did in the first film which is good because the character he plays is the one who is not supposed to change. He is meant to be square and combined with the character of Riggs this becomes highly entertaining. However, a new element is put into the mix to make it even more entertaining, Leo Getz, played beautifully by Joe Pesci and is to this day still one of his most memorable characters. He is funny and fast talking but most importantly: he is a crook and when you put him together with Riggs and Murtaugh the mix becomes explosive. The main villains are played by Joss Ackland and Derrick O'Connor and they are also good and a bit more developed than the villains of the first movie obviously because they had to focus more on the relationship between Riggs and Murtaugh in the first movie. Riggs' love interest is played Patsy Kensit and she is good if a bit underdeveloped.

The story is excellent and is almost better than the story in the first one. It is entertaining and funny and best of all the incredible chemistry between Mel Gibson and Danny Glover is maintained and is almost as good as it was in the first movie. Furthermore the addition of Joe Pesci was a very nice touch because he immediately makes the scenes with him, Gibson and Glover even more interesting and entertaining. The plot with the villains is kept relatively simple like in the first film, which is good because the goal for the film is entertainment not to be thought provoking.

The action of the film is kept in the same style as in the first movie and it is still both exhilarating and entertaining. The effects are still relatively realistic and this of course gives the movie a level of credibility that is sorely needed in many modern action movies.

All in all a worthy sequel and an excellent film on its own.

• oonagimakii11 February 2003
    The first one was hard core. It was all about drugs, intrigue and Vietnam. It was also about Riggs' suicidal tendencies. It was serious. Too serious. That was awesome. This one is about a lighter, gentler Riggs. The same Murtaugh I'm afraid but a lighter gentler Riggs-for a while that is. Reasons why this film is better than the original: 1. Leo Getz, 2. Same chemistry but with a tighter bond, 3. Comic relief, 4. Truly despicable villains, 5. Revenge story that pops out of nowhere really (this is quite surprising for a Gibson flick mind you). This one's the best of the series. Part three was a joke. Part four...I dunno what the hell that one was. Part one was pure setup baby. This is the one. >
  • Lethal Weapon 2: A complete review in as short as possible

If you're looking for an extremely enjoyable movie, in all aspects of the word "enjoyable" i seriously recommend this masterpiece! It has everything anyone can ask for: a star-studded cast, excellent performances, masterful directions, engrossing story, amazing action-sequences, witty dialogue, sensational sound track, and this is just the beginning! And if this is not MAGIC then I don't know what is!

Gibson's Riggs and Glover's Murtaugh are amazing, the chemistry here is absolutely amazing! Each complements the other perfectly and the inclusion of Pesci's Getz is the best thing that could have ever happened to the movie.

It's not just the performances either. LW2 is an excellent follow-up to the original that spawned 4 sequels and is a MUST-SEE. As a matter of fact, I personally find it to be the best movie throughout the series. Do not pass this one up!

Oomph!-scale (from 5) : *****
  • Mel Gibson and Danny Glover return to kick heads and shoot bad guys for the second time, as Riggs and Murtaugh, the "Oscar and Felix" of law enforcement in "Lethal Weapon 2." This time

around, the boys are forced to become the 3 Stooges when they are assigned to guard a feisty, foul-mouthed federal witness named Leo Getz (the frantic Joe Pesci) from a group of sadistic Afrikaner thugs (led by the usually dark-natured character actor Joss Acklund). At the same time, Riggs meets a new love named

Rika (the hot Patsy Kensit), who happens to be a pawn in the

villain's dangerous games.

The action is faster and more furious in this sequel to the

slam-bang original. Even the banter gets a boost, thanks to the

added comedic riff by Pesci. Watch for his slightly annoying,

yet hilarious speech on a Subway tunafish sandwich!
  • When I saw the first Lethal Weapon movie (admittedly I was underaged at the time) I thought a better flick could never be dreamed of. I was wrong, its all here the chemistry between Glover & Gibson is better than ever, the action is faster and to my lasting surprise the comedy has been much improved.

The inclusion of Joe Peschi as the whinny Leo Getz was a master stroke and finally completed the picture.

SEE IT!
  • A terrific sequel to one of the first action duo films that worked well. Adding Joe Pesci to the cast, what a great choice! He was so funny, together, Mel, Danny, and Joe are the three stooges of Lethal Weapon. They work together so well. This movie has everything that you could want: action, romance, comedy, and drama.

Again, like in my last Lethal Weapon comment, must we go on for ten sentences? I mean, is it just me or isn't that a little silly? I think so. It's like, you can't just put down you liked the movie or hated it? I miss the old IMDb! *sob!*

PS: Ask me questions about the movie if you have doubts about me witnessing it's glory.
  • mjw230523 January 2005
    Riggs and Murtaugh now face a bunch of south African criminals hiding behind their diplomatic immunity. The duo have to fight for their right to fight back, as the criminals declare war on the cops, and arouse the lethal weapon in Riggs.

The introdction of Joe Pesci's character is a little annoying at first but it soon grows on you and he adds a focus for the comedy element.

Richard Donner again directs the cop duo and again we have a movie well worth watching.

Plenty of action, a few more laughs and a lethal weapon that is still just as sharp, all combine to deliver another great outing for Riggs and Murtaugh.

• DarthVoorhees25 September 2015
    'Lethal Weapon 2' is the absolute perfect example of why the eighties were the renaissance of the action film. I've seen so many bad action films that it becomes hard to decipher what makes an excellent one but I feel that 'Lethal Weapon 2' should be studied as an example. It has all the ingredients I think are essential to making a good action film. The movie most importantly has incredible loud action sequences that have weight because they aren't mired in computer effects or post production trickery and have stunt performers. It also isn't fearful in indulging in violence without being gratuitous. It isn't realistic and there's theatricality but it's not at the two extremes of cartoony blood or PG-13 action fast cuts when someone gets shot. It has grit and blood but it's also so alive with great characters.

Most importantly are the characters and the acting. This film solves the problem of the first film in having memorable villains. The whole South Africa apartheid villainy is played for all the hate you can project on these goofy characters. Joss Ackland is so delightful. His performance masterfully skates at being just campy enough to get all the smiles you can without going into the ridiculous. But of course the bulk of the praise must go to the leads. Glover and Gibson are so charismatic and likable that the scenes where they drive to the shoot outs are still highly entertaining.

I had a ball revisiting this one.
  • This time our favorite mismatched cops (Mel Gibson and Danny Glover) take on South African diplomats (who I think are German) who are taking advantage of the system by using their status to deal drugs, after numerous warnings from the dealers, as well as near death experiences, our favorite two cops go out with all pistols blazing in a thrilling climax which ends in explosive fashion. I think the main reason why in 1989, I couldn't enjoy the ultra-lame Tango And Cash which came out that year (though at the end of the year) was because I had seen this earlier and this to me was the real thing. Lethal Weapon 2 is one of those movies that still manages to entertain years after its release. I saw this as a teenager and thought it was the greatest thing ever and even now this is one of my most prized DVDs in my collection. Lethal Weapon 2 is a very exciting movie and when I look at other enjoyable movies that fall in the mismatched buddy/cop genre (Lethal Weapon 1, I Come In Peace, Beverly Hills Cop 1+2, Last Boyscout and Rush Hour) Lethal Weapon 2 always stands head and shoulders above the rest, indeed it is tied with 48 HRS as my favorite Cop/Buddy movie off all time. I think the thing that gives this movie that extra enjoyment is that we actually care about characters, the acting is very well done and overall it's directed with a brutal punch which back up the action. Also Joe Pesci's comic relief wasn't annoying (like it would be in the later sequels) in fact his comic timing actually works. This is a great example of genre film-making and is a must see for fans of the genre.

* * * * out of 4-(Excellent, a must see!)
    Richard Donner shows off his liberal credentials with this ludicrously overcooked simplistic attack on the politics of South Africa.It's not as if America is the cradle of racial harmony and brotherly love - and further irony is added by the fact that the movie is set in the city that was the home of Rodney King and glorifies the Police Department that did so much towards community relations with their brutal racist behaviour. So Donner's salt and pepper pairing who clearly have a late = developing teenage crush on one another do their own thing with fine disregard for the rule of law or the rules of evidence and no one worries because the bad guys are white South Africans - surely a worrying example of police racism in itself? Inside Rudd's (Joss Ackland - eminently hissable) office the decor is designed and lit to resemble as far as possible the Fuhrerbunker and just in case some rather dumb moviegoers miss the point,he and his men are referred to as "nazis" at regular intervals. For me the only bright spot in the movie was when Mel Gibson turned up at an anti - apartheid demonstration carrying a banner bearing the inscription "End Aparthied Now". The intensely irritating Joe Pesci is introduced into the franchise to take some of the weight off the boys' shoulders by following them around yapping incessantly like a badly-trained puppy.This would be bearable if there was the remotest possibility of him ending up in a concrete overcoat,but sadly he survives to irritate another day. Miss Patsy Kensit seems in a world of her own,perhaps not believing her luck at being cast opposite Mel Gibson who has little trouble sweeping her into bed in his mobile home which appears to have been washed up on a beach somewhere.Shortly after consummating their affair they come under fire from a number of helicopters that fire enough rounds into Mel's caravan to keep the U.S. Army in Iraq going for six months. Fortunately he has a pet dog who is not afraid to cause coitus interruptus just as they are going for seconds and his barking warns them of the imminent attack.I hope he got a special bone as a reward. The film climaxes(without interruption from Mel's dog) on a cargo ship bound for Nazi Germany (sorry,South Africa),when Mel and Danny murder so many members of the master race that I lost count.Despite jiggling around like Bonnie and Clyde under the impact of a hail of bullets,Mel survives,curled up in his partner's arms like a small child with a wise and benevolent father.Take that,Apartheid!
  • The adventure continues with Lethal Weapon 2. All the great characters are back and with some new ones, as well. Joe Pesci enters the Lethal Weapon-series as the annoying and witty Leo Getz(ok ok ok ok?) Riggs and Murtaugh must fight against a South-African diplomat, who`s a big drugdealer. The classic mixture of action and comedy is also to be found here. I have never seen another series of movies (except Die Hard), where all the chapters are just as great as the original film. 9/10
  • The first point I found interesting is that it was evident they used real South Africans as extras in the film. In one scene one of the extras called out "Jou Moer" to our intrepid heroes.

"Jou Moer" translates into English, quite unmistakenly, as "You C*nt". As this was still in it, years later, when I just saw it for the second time, I feel that nobody in America check unidentified words for their true meaning.

This has given many South Africans high amusement over the years and they may not be well disposed towards me for spilling the beans.

Another thing was that Patsy Kensit played the part of an Afrikaaner (A Dutch descent South African and, whilst an English descent South African might say she (or he) hates his country, an Afrikaaner would never say that. He or she might say they hate the government but they would NEVER say they hate their country.

But apart from that, a good film, and it gave me so much amusement to see they hadn't cut out the offending word.

From an English rooinek.

Andrew
  • Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) was a lame and useless sequel. Why was this made? To make more money! The first film was a surprise success. So a sequel was in order. What I hated about this movie was they changed the back ground story line. Riggs suddenly got younger but Murtaugh grew even older than he was in the first film. Riggs background was changed to suit the inane storyline.Like I said in the last comment. The series became more homo-erotic as the series continued.

Another strike against the film are the cartoon villains. The only thing missing was them sporting thick mustaches and smoking big cigars. I hated this movie. The action scenes were over done and realism only mattered when it suited the story line. Adding characters and making overt and annoying political statements date this lame movie even further. While the first film was fun, this one blows chunks. I don't like it very much.

Overrated garbage.
  • kairingler16 June 2009
    i thought the opening sequence was great,, the chase scene,, the rubbers scene was good too, making fun of Murtaugh's daughter's commercial,, this one gets serious bunch of cops get killed in this one,, you also find out what happens to Rigg's wife from before the first one,, this time Riggs and Murtaugh are dealing with the South Africans,, and Krugerands,, Joe Pesci seems to brilliantly steals the show as Leo Getz,, get it, what you want Leo Gets,, haha lol, so anyway he's just has the best line ever in this,,, they f you at the drive thru,, wow amazing,, very true also,, i liked the fast pacing of this movie,, the stunts were great,, the house on the stilts.. the guy that gets the surfboard where his brain used to be,, this just really doesn't get any better than this,, Mel Gibson's line, that's downtown L.A. on the 3 days of the year you can actually see it , without all that smog, just a great movie,, funny as heck also.
  • It's a fun movie, but having lived in South Africa for some time, there's not much that rings true. One user comment said it contained a powerful message for him, since he's black and never quite understood apartheid.

Well, if this is what you're going to base your knowledge on, you're very far from the truth. Don't get me wrong, South Africa was racist, and many Afrikaners were rather backward redneck types, but the characters in this movie aren't even caricatures. The actors ham it up with no character research at all.

You want to understand South African racism? See Cry the Beloved Country, or something. Lethal Weapon is a cheap action movie. Don't mistake it for something that tries to deliver some deep and meaningful message. It doesn't.

Though it is unintentionally ludicrous if you're South African, it's watchable.
  • I really really liked Lethal Weapon for a whole host of reason, but the sequel certainly doesn't stand up to its predecessor.

The character development, which in the first film was pivotal, is dropped and your just expected to enjoy the character of Riggs and Murtaugh on the merits of the first film alone, which is alright at the start of the film, but soon it is revealed they are simply shadows of the previous multi-dimensional selves (especially Riggs).

The film lacks the dark underbelly of the first, in which despite having a good plot, the screwed up achololic and weary senior officer's transformation in to coherent unit was nothing less of genius.

Plus this film has the terrible Patsy Kensit in, whose South African accent is actually terrible, and can't act for toffee.

Its a shame, because I really wanted to love this film, as much as the first one, but despite not being a bad movie it just doesn't live up to the original.
  • Most sequels just aren't usually that good, are they? Lethal Weapon 2 is the sort of film in which characters tumble out of fifteenth storey windows; land in a communal swimming pool; thrash around in the water for a while, before getting up and out so that they may dust themselves off and move onto the next set piece. That was fine in the first film, because it was nonsense and we knew it was and the film knew it was as well - what was important was the fact it was propping up this really intimate and often touching story about a man going through a process of shelving his suicidal ideation and rediscovering the love for his job. Mel Gibson's Martin Riggs was that character in the first, someone stumbling once again upon that wash of emotion often referred to as "job satisfaction", a man once bent on mourning the death of his wife and generally uninterested in living for much longer - the first scene in this second instalment has him state his "love" for "this job" as he hares down the street in an unmarked police car chasing some villains. Go figure.

This second Lethal Weapon film is, at least to a degree, again Riggs' film; a piece depicting his dissipating grief as he sees fit to kick off a relationship with a newfound woman, as well as allowing him to tie up some rather personal loose ends when the true extent of his wife's death becomes clearer through the adventure he undertakes here. This would have been fine had there felt as if there was some actual heart to proceedings, and the said content didn't feel like a papering over what are essentially a series of stunts involving helicopters; cars and exploding toilets. If there was a mite of honesty to what transpires, and forgive me if it strikes you as a premature reveal, then I dare say Gibson's character should have passed on there and then in faithful accomplice Roger Murtagh's (Glover) arms on that container ship during this edition's finale.

The good news is that Gibson and Glover are good value. Their combination, as was with the first, plays off itself with a series of binary opponents: where Murtagh wears his suit to work, Riggs is more laid back and casual in his dress; where one of them finds cheap office humour hilarious, the other deems a good deal of maturing is in order, in fact the two actors rebound off one another really well and they genuinely look as if they're enjoying one another's presence. It is Murtagh's contemplations this time that dominate, a man nearing retirement but without a hobby to occupy his time, while his disassociation with the large family he bares begins with the fact he eats tuna when all others have stopped and realises just how old his daughter is getting when she appears in a television advertisement which, in a few words, takes him aback.

The adventure involves South African politicians who use their stature as a front to disguise that of a smuggling ring. The leads are effectively in it together to fight racism, what with the fact this group are South Africans in favour of the then-ruling South African Apartheid regime and act as the film's villains. It is here the film takes a shy, if unbalanced, glide into the deep end of "issue" movie making, or the addressing of an "issue" for a piece of mainstream entertainment, when it attempts to systematically raise true to life awareness on top of telling this tale on top of dealing with this meagre character content. There is an uncomfortable sense of the South Africans being there - they are easy targets, and the film will win fans cheaply in this regard.

Of all people, a Joe Pesci character named Leo Getz is implemented into proceedings; a witness who needs protecting and who is assigned to Riggs and Murtagh's care but whose presence soon sees both of their paths more intrinsically linked than first appears. Leo is good value for a while, but is misused; Pesci has played characters who have had a tendency to dominated dialogue driven scenes, but always as the intimidator – if we're going to watch a film in which mismatched men acting like kids jabber on and on uncontrollably, either have Pesci do it to a much sinister-a degree or sideline him for the central pairing, because Getz's presence quickly wears thin. The plot about the Afrikaan cartel is nonsense, but of course it is; much like the techniques used by "the best cops around" when they consistently leave Getz by himself and no one bothers to guard Murtagh's house in spite of the fact he's already been hit there once by the enemy. With an uneven tone made possible by scenes of terrific violence and terror lined up beside more light hearted and more throwaway moments, not to mention a cackling chief villain at the centre of it whose reoccurring line is the roaringly amusing "......dip-lur-mat-ic immu-ni-tie!" said in that way only a South African could, Lethal Weapon 2 is the sequel to the film that was clinging on by its fingernail for a recommendation in the first place, and of which doesn't work.
  • A worthy sequel. In fact, I think it's a bit of an improvement, with tighter plotting and more kinetic action sequences. I also liked, to my surprise, the addition of Joe Pesci as a witness Riggs and Murtaugh are protecting. Yes, he's more than a tad annoying, but he's annoying in a mostly funny way. I also very much liked Mel Gibson's love interest, played by the cute Brit Patsy Kensit, who unfortunately never made it very big. The sequence with the bomb attached to Murtaugh's toilet is classic, and the shot with the woman cop getting blown off her diving board is (unintentionally) hilarious. Also side-splitting: the aging henchman played by Derrick O'Connor, who becomes a master of kung fu whenever the shot gets dark enough for a stunt double to take his place.
  • As much as Lethal Weapon may have stepped outside its genre trappings to strike an unexpected chord, its sequel was the film that gave the series the legs it needed to continue onward and upward. While it still plumbs some dark, painful subject matter for its lead characters, Lethal Weapon 2 skews lighter by treating the Murtaugh-Riggs dynamic as the stuff of fruitful comedy, an approach intensified by the slightly annoying, but still faithfully endearing, Leo Getz character, whom Joe Pesci makes all his own.

But it's the supreme comfort of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, with both each other and the script that rockets this to the top of buddy movies to such an extent that it became ripe for parody. The director again proves his command of this material with a handful of memorable scenes, and especially his use of Gibson in his trademark "lethal weapon" scenes, which coined the franchise title. Even though Gibson is a lot less depressed in this film you still completely believe him as a guy that has nothing to lose.

It's fair to say that this is Gibson's movie, because it's written that way. Some of Riggs' back story is filled in and he even gets a love interest in the slender form of Patsy Kensit. Riggs cracks the jokes and does the outrageous mental stuff, while Glover's (still doing fine work in Gibson's shadow) Murtaugh continues to be the counter opposite. Tho some of the astute written sequences involving Murtaugh and the South African core of the story are excellently handled by Glover. But regardless of character development and nifty political observations, it's the action that dominates proceedings. Director Richard Donner has a wail of a time putting the cast thru their paces. There's explosions, fights, shoot-outs, more high speed pursuits, and on it goes till we get to the finale, a potential cliffhanger one too.

Overall rating: 9 out of 10.
  • Lethal Weapon 2 doesn't recycle ideas and plot points from the first movie, but instead expands on the first movie by developing Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh's personal lives, the introduction of new villains, and the addition of a third sidekick which adds plenty of moments of humour. The action is still just as good, and there is still plenty to enjoy about Lethal Weapon 2.

Lethal Weapon 2 wastes no time getting started as we see LAPD Detectives Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson) and Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) in the middle of a police pursuit through the streets of Los Angeles with an unidentified suspect driving a red BMW which turns out to be transporting a trunk full of gold Krugerrands. There is an illegal smuggling operation which is being spearheaded by South African consul-general Arjen Rudd (Joss Ackland) and his chief enforcer Pieter Vorstedt (Derrick O' Connor) however they are blatantly doing so while hiding behind the fact they have "Diplomatic Immunity". Captain Harris (Steve Kahan) assigns Riggs and Murtaugh to babysit the irritating, obnoxious and overeager Leo Getz (Joe Pesci), a federal witness who is going to testify against the South African smuggling operation. Riggs also finds himself a love interest, Rika Van Den Haas (Patsy Kensit) who is also Rudd's secretary at the South African Consulate. Rudd and Vorstedt continue to deceitfully continue their smuggling operation while hiding their diplomatic credentials and Riggs and Murtaugh vow to take them down.

Lethal Weapon 2 adds a lighter comedic element with the introduction of Joe Pesci as Leo Getz. It's hard to believe upon seeing Leo Getz that Joe Pesci would later net himself an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor as the volatile Tommy De Vito in Goodfellas (1990). Here in Lethal Weapon 2, Pesci's Leo Getz is nothing more than an irritating annoyance but enhances the comic relief to counterbalance the violent action scenes.

It was great to see Mel Gibson and Danny Glover continue their dynamic partnership as Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh. Lethal Weapon 2 is a perfect example of a sequel that continues the story and introduces more elements rather than rehashing the story from the first movie. Joss Ackland and Derrick O'Connor were excellent as the chief villains of the movie. Patsy Kensit adds sex appeal as the beautiful Rika Van Den Haas who finds herself caught up in the war between the LAPD and the South African criminals.

Keep an eye out for Dean Norris (TV's Breaking Bad), Jeanette Goldstein (Terminator 2: Judgment Day) and Mark Rolston (The Departed) in small roles.

Director Richard Donner has continued to weave his magic as a director and has struck box office gold with the success of Lethal Weapon 2 as one of the biggest movies of 1989.

What can you say about Lethal Weapon 2? There's never a dull moments with plenty of action-packed scenes along with plenty of humour. A definite must for all Lethal Weapon fans as well as fans of action.

9/10.
  • Continuing my plan to watch every Mel Gibson movie in order, I come to Lethal Weapon 2

Plot In A Paragraph: The boys are back in town as L.A.P.D. officers, Martin Riggs (Gibson) and Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) who must protect an federal witness (A brilliant Joe Pesci), while taking on a gang of South African drug dealers hiding behind their diplomatic immunity.

It's easy to forget how big this movie actually was in 1989. Batman was the big movie of the year, and there was loads of sequels, Indiana Jones 3, Back To The Future 2, Ghostbusters 2, Star Trek V and a Bond movie. I don't think many people expected it to do as well as it did. But by toning down the violence and upping the fun, it ended up the third highest grossing movie of 1989. I'm probably in the minority, but I think this is better the the first movie, and is the highlight of the series.

I love the chemistry between Gibson and Glover, they seem to have a real affection for each other. And they both look like they enjoy playing off Joe Pesci, who is a welcome addition to the cast, at times it's like watching the three stooges (that's a compliment) Patsy Kensit looks absolutely gorgeous. The surprise to me is how menacing Joss Ackland was as Arjen Rudd the villain of the movie, he is superb.

It has a few problems, continuity errors and poor stunt doubles, but it's well directed, well acted with great pacing, and the perfect balance of big action and big laughs. Although I'm not sure how I feel about the "happier ending" than what Shane Black wrote (with Riggs dying) but without it, there would be no Lethal Weapon 3 or 4.

With a domestic gross of $147 million Lethal Weapon 2 (only Batman and Indian Jones out grossed it) was by far the highest hit of Gibson's career.
  • Riggs and Murtaugh are back and it's good that there back because that means that we will watch a great movie. I have seen all the Lethal Weapon-movies and they are all great, well except the last one. But I'm here to review Lethal Weapon 2.

I have always liked the chemistry between Riggs and Murtaugh. They have a real partner ship between them. All the time they are going to a new adventure and the can always make you laugh.

The movie is the best Lethal Weapon I have seen and the movie is entertaining. The movie has a great plot and the new characters in the movie are great also. We will also see the first time Leo, who is played by Joe Pesc, who is one of the funniest characters in this movie.

There is nothing I don't like in this movie. Watch it now!