• When I first started watching 'Captain Planet', I was pretty much the ideal target audience; 5 years old, a sympathetic female with innocent cares for the environment, and that 'virgin' mindset that there was always going to be just good, bad and the unfortunate.

Now I'm older and somewhat more corrupted at age 18, I look back to those days and I can honestly say that though it may have been cheesy (the entire 'Go Planeteers!' and similar catchphrases) the cartoons like 'Captain Planet' that I was brought up on were so much more educational and fulfilling then the ones I see today. I know, its a broad generalisation, but the world of commercialism has taken over children's programs, and while I still enjoy cartoons, I can only feel free from the 'buy this' and 'you must have this' craze when I watch ABC TV (no commercials).

This cartoon impacted on my life a lot when I was younger. It made me really care about the environment; not just the cute ponies and flowers, but for every environmental issue that came up on the TV or in the newspaper. I wanted to take on the world.

But back then, there really wasn't a lot of support. There were organisations that supported things like 'Clean up Australia Day', but there was little community or family support for my ideals and as I grew older, I became disillusioned that I could ever make a difference on my own.

And when I reached High School, we were taught about the environment and biology, and I didn't care anymore about the dying world around me. I think we need to have 'important' cartoons like 'Captain Planet' back, because when I was impressionable and making up my own identity during my teenage years, it wasn't there for me and remains only a memory of when I was a little girl.

In any case, its a pity that people today can't try to make something 'worthwhile' to show the kids, to gently expose them to what the world really *is*. If its for the money, why can't they advertise and sell to kids the idea that environmentalism is 'cool' and needed? I mean, its better that telling kids to buy dolls with plastic clothes, in my opinion.
  • I may be in the minority but I was first introduced to this show once it was on syndication and actually liked it. I never saw the reason to write such an extended response that dealt with the complete and utter negativity of a TV show or movie as I've seen here. It truly is amazing that there are individuals that would sit there and write such elongated responses. Is it political, absolutely. This show is somewhat ahead of its time, as I don't recall a strong effort being made to concern ourselves with the environment at that time. Regardless, I enjoyed it and whereas I have not seen this show in quite a while, I imagine that I'd enjoy it as much as I did in the past were I to see it again.
  • I don't understand you people. This show was meant for children to teach them to respect the environment. You christians who claim that it offends you, get over it. Be accepting of other peoples beliefs, even if they are different. There is already more than enough Christian shows out there.

This show taught me valuable lessons, and as a kid, I never saw any underlying themes, other than to help the planet. It may not have been the best cartoon, but it was one of the few that had a great message, and one of my favorites.

As for political aspects, do you people spend your every waking moment searching cartoons for secret agendas? Get a life! This show may have other agendas, I don't know and I doubt that if it did, anyone who watched it, being a young child, would even notice. This show tried to unite different beliefs, different backgrounds and to show us that we can work together and make a difference. I admit that as an adult, I now see the cliché-ness of the villains, but as a kid I never noticed and I doubt any child would. The message of saving the earth won't even reach every watcher (though it will reach some), let alone all this other junk you are reading into it.

All in all, this was a good show, and I think kids need more shows like it. I wish that all those who disliked it for whatever reason, could at least try to see the good it was trying to do.

"All things are connected...whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth." -Chief Seattle
  • This show was very good in my opinion. The lessons were valuable and there was also a lot of fun in the storylines. Especially the romantic tension between Wheeler and Linka was good, they liked each other but never acted on those feelings. Well... never? Wheeler often tried to approach her and, although she rejected him just as much, she cared for him a great deal. Whenever he was in danger, she freaked out.

This show was excellent in teaching kids and older people how to be an environmentally conscious consumer and they also provided lots of tips for other problems that occur in these days. Though some episodes were less than others, I have enjoyed the entire show very much. I am an adult (having known the show since I was a child) and I still like it.
  • Unlike many of the reviewers here, I'm NOT going denigrate a television show just for the sake of bashing a political ideology. Of course the show is PC, just like "Sesame Street" is PC. It's a CHILDREN'S SHOW -- it needs to be simplified and non-cynical for the consumption of the younger audience. Plus, whether you like it or not, concern for the environment is not a throwaway, frivolous subject to mock. The people of LA had to find out the hard way.

Anyhoo, probably the only reason why I watched this show in the first place was that there was nothing else on at five in the afternoon on Saturdays. Back then, I thought the show was pretty cheesy with very little variations on the plot lines. Yet I still rooted for the Planeteers and was satisfied whenever the bad guys were dealt with.

But now that I'm older and a little bit wiser, I now reserve full appreciation of the cosmic and biblical cheesiness this cartoon had to offer. Whenever I think of the villain, I just wonder what's going through their minds: "Hahahah! I've just wasted precious time and money creating this environmentally unsafe factory, not to make any profits, not even to make a product of any kind, but just for the sake of polluting the planet and p**sing off the Planeteers, hahahahah!" Yeah, that's what most of these villains were thinking in most of the episodes.

Also, I agree with the other reviewers that there were hardly any character growth among the Planeteers, although the tension between Wheeler and Linka had me at least halfway interested.

There were some keeper episodes, like the one where three oppressed persons, an Irish Catholic living in Belfast, a Palestinian, and a black South African were supplied with triggers that will set off nuclear weapons which can then wipe out their adversaries. The Planeteers were dispached to those separate areas and only succeeded in turning around those people by having them experience the *hypothetical* consequences of their actions if they chose to press the button.

Of course, Captain Planet comes to the rescue, digs up the nukes and throws them like discuses towards the sun, which begs the question why didn't he just do that in the first place?

So one and a half stars (* 1/2) our of four for the Planeteers. Protecting the environment is an important thing, but we can do better.

FYI, Ma-Ti's Power of Heart allows him to communicate with the animals, so that in some episodes elephants and giraffes gives Captain Planet a breather and take care of all the dirty work.
  • "It was probably only made to teach kids to keep the environment clean." This was posted by a few other people... Duuuhhhh!

I remember watching this as a kid when it first came out. My brother and I enjoyed watching it every week. It may have been repetitive and a little cheesy, but it had a good message.

As far as the show implying that we can't really save the planet, only a superhero can, give me a break. I, at the age of 8, realized that Captain Planet and the Planeteers did not exist in real life and therefore, it really was up to us to help save the planet. I credit this show along with Raffi's Evergreen Everblue album and the movie Ferngully the Last Rainforest as the reason I recycle today.

A little plug for those who want to help the environment a little. Check out the Seventh Generation line of products and click everyday on the website - the rain forest site. :) I hope they decide to put this out on DVD soon!
  • I watched this series when it originally came out. I think this show contained a lot of great messages for children, and they were able to present them in a way that was visually stimulating for the children and could hold their attention. I frown on adults who are too hard on the delivery style of this series. Kudos to network executives, like Ted Turner, who take a chance on a show like this. There were lessons on subjects such as smoking, drugs, stealing, lying, and obviously not polluting the environment. It obviously wasn't looked down on by everyone. It ran for more than a couple of seasons, which speaks volumes for a show. There were a lot of great actors whose voices turned up on this show. I miss watching it, and I'd love for my six-year-old daughter to be able to experience it. She'd love it!
  • I used to watch this show when I was a little girl. I only remember it vaguely, though. If you ask me, it was a good show. I remember the opening sequence and theme song vaguely, too. In addition to that, everyone was ideally cast. Also, the writing was very strong. The performances were top-grade, too. I hope some network brings it back so I can see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I don't think I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, if some network ever brings it back, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.
  • This show...oh, my. How weird is this thing? A bunch of Power Rangeresque children hopping around the globe in their solar-powered UFO armed with elemental rings that call forth some motto-spouting superhero with green hair? Oh, and a constant sermon on how evil and dirty the entire stinkin' world had become and how only the little kids who are watching can save the day. Please.

"Yeah kids, save the environment! The power is yours! Oh, but don't get up from the couch just yet! We have one more episode for ya! So sit back, turn off your brain, and keep watching!"

That's the message I got from this cartoon. Ted Turner thought the whole thing up, dontcha know. Supposedly he wanted to make the scuzzy nation known as the U.S.A. a better place by EDUCATING the young people. Yeah, you know what Ted? If you hate our country so much, then move! Just move, alright? You can't eat our food and take up our space while whininh about how much it sucks here. So just leave and do us all the favor. But I'm getting off the subject.

P.S. I understand fire, earth, wind, water and all that jazz, but what about heart? Did that kid ever use his ring? Maybe I just never caught it...oh, and he had a monkey. What's up with that?

P.P.S. Didn't this show do an episode on AIDS? Okay, so maybe it did some good. But the earth is not THAT polluted, okay Captain?
    Cartoons are supposed to entertain kids- not lecture them on social issues. Okay so there was some morality in Thundercats but it wasn't done to death, nor did it detract from the plot of the show. Captain Planet and The Planeteers was one step ahead: a truly dire cartoon where 5 teenagers, who each hail from various parts of the globe, attempt to do right and defeat their arch-nemesis, Duke Nukem and his evil cohorts and with the help of the green-haired one, save the planet.

The politically correct slant this show tried to invoke was as nauseating as it was tedious. This was propaganda aimed at brainwashing children almost- conservatives= bad, liberals = good. Thank goodness however that I didn't buy into that preachy nonsense, as a kid. I still don't, as an adult to this day.

When I looked at the credits, I was stunned to learn that the mega rich media mogul, Ted Turner- he of CNN, Time Warner fame- was involved in this diabolical affair. As those who have commented on here have stated, there are some rather numerous inconsistencies, question marks, not to mention absurdities which plague Captain Planet and the Planeteers: likewise, 1)almost all the villains are all from different parts of the west, whilst the heroes are global; thus implying the west are evil, money grabbing polluters who don't care about the world and the state that it is in; 2) the teenagers dependence on Captain Planet to solve its crises suggest they are reluctant to do things the hard way and properly by themselves; 3) each of the so-called heroes lack any sort of personality, and have no real depth to their character- not to mention they are annoying and so 'goody-goody'; 4)in regards to the situations they find themselves in and the ways they address them, it is so unrealistic and at times, misleading because, in real-life nine times out of ten, how many people would actually react in exactly the same way as those teenagers have done, in regards to so called 'green' issues? 5) in every episode the teenagers do not make any effort whatsoever to find an alternative way in resolving a particular crisis- they just leave it up to Captain Planet to sort things out.

Yet, what is truly alarming was that whilst the brilliant and fantastic Thundercats for example, lasted for merely two seasons, this show ran for six when it should've died a quick and painful death. It should've been cancelled after one season. Nevertheless, it is the PC- nature of Captain Planet that filled me with utter dread and of which got on my nerves. The 90s and 00s were, for the most part, wretched periods for animated cartoons, in contrast to the wonderful, 60s, 70s and 80s.

This was embarrassing, humiliating and pure banality and an almost blatant attempt to Hollywood-ise and sensationalise environmental issues and make it look so tacky, which this show was. This was a total dirge
  • Don't ask me why I was driven to review this show--doing so may lend it some unworthy credibility. Maybe it's the fact that Cartoon Network refuses to let it die...

"Captain Planet" is a series that chronicles the adventures of five multi-cultural teens chosen to patrol the planet in search of environmental wrongdoing--the "Planeteers." Each of the five have been given magical rings tha harness the powers of the Earth's elements: Earth, Fire, Wind, Water... and "Heart." When the powers of the five rings are combined, an all-powerful superhero by the name of "Captain Planet" is summoned. For one brief moment, this concept seems almost interesting. However, it has resulted in what may actually be the worst Cartoon series since "The Gary Coleman Show" or "Devlin." How could this possibly be? 10 Good reasons:

1) Almost every environmental emergency the Planeteers encounter is laughably unrealistic, and is usually masterminded by one of 6 recurring, cartoon-like villains--each of whom is easily dispatched. One episode involved the creation of a weather control device that could create a hurricane--thereby destroying some ocean front property for a profit. Call in the Planeteers!

2) Every show is SLATHERED in environmental messages that don't even apply to that specific episode's plot. Example: In an episode where the Planeteers must a bunch of near-extinct animals, the writers felt it was imperative that we hear an aside about how elephant dung is a fantastic natural fertilizer. Who knew? Who cared?

3) The characters are candy-coated and one dimensional, thereby making the viewer want them to die in every episode. None have any personality at all--except the villains and Captain Planet himself (who is strangely sarcastic and full of wonderfully stupid puns). One reviewer mentioned he "enjoyed the romantic tension" between the Russian and American Planeteers. I think it ranks right up there with the tension between Hefty Smurf and Smurfette.

4) The show paints the United States as an evil, disgusting country that cares nothing for the Earth (as opposed to a country that has successfully maintained a multi-racial society in the face of adversity--go figure.)

5) In almost every episode, the American teen character is made to embody the above "ugly American" sentiment: He constantly says things like, "why do we have to save a bunch of dumb animals anyhow?" Or, "We're saving PLANTS from extinction? What's next? Saving rocks?" In the end, he is usually enlightened by his robotic tree-hugger teammates, and they all have a good laugh about it. Ha.

6) More often than not, the major problems presented in each show are only able to be solved by summoning Captain Planet. One wonders why the Planeteers exist, and why Captain Planet can't fly around patrolling Earth--thereby cutting out the middleman.

7) The show spends so much time attacking how society gets its energy, yet no one ever addresses the fact that the rings the Planeteers wear are mysteriously able to create wind, fire and sometimes water--why not use the same "magic" to power our society? Pollution problem solved!

8) Frighteningly, this show has ran for 6 years. In many episodes, it becomes jarringly apparent that the PC-obsessed writers ran out of things to attack. The plot of one episode has the Planeteers as the subject of a big Hollywood movie. What's the big Earth-shattering problem they encounter? "So much food is not eaten on a Hollywood set, and the crew is so messy." And, "so much paper is being used to make copies of the script." Dear God.

9) One Planeteer has a ring that has the power of "heart." I don't think I've ever seen him use it, unless it's in tandem with the other rings to summon Captain Planet. One wonders if this ring is used to harness environmentalist's opinions, and then impose them on others with laser-like accuracy.

10) Writing aside, the show has the worst animation this side of "JabberJaw." What makes it so horrible is that it tries SO HARD to RESEMBLE shows of the time like "GI Joe" or "Transformers," and comes out looking like 3-frame per minute artwork traced off of the monitor while watching "Thundercats." With all the Hollywood bigwigs it had backing it, it amazes me they couldn't do better than this.

In closing, this show is a horrid patchwork of skewed messages, idiot-level writing, convenient political correctness, and painful animation. Many reviewers have labeled "Captain Planet" as "leftist" or "hyper-liberal." I prefer to avoid political classification by simply labeling it "Unwatchable."
    The greatest problem with Captain Planet is that the solutions given are based along a few false pretenses. These pretenses remove any actual value from the show's environmentalist message, superhero aside.

A) Ignorance is not the problem, people who pollute do so with full intent to cause harm to the environment.

B) The environment is always an innocent victim, humans are never justified in their use of it.

C) The root of the problem lies with those who do the actual polluting, not with those who benefit from it.

Let's give an example. In one episode on Rhino poaching, the team goes to China, where stupid American kid gets sick after eating true Chinese food. They go to a traditional medicine shop and receive treatment, a bit of powdered rhino's horn.

The problem, the *real* problem, one that put countless species on the endangered list is very simple: Traditional Chinese medicine operates on the pretext that consuming parts of animals imbues one with aspects of said animal. Tigers have been slaughtered because it is believed that consuming their penises will enhance sexual potency. The same thing can be said for Rhino's horn. On a separate but equally noteworthy bit, Shark's Fin Soup, another product of China, has decimated the shark population, it's quite possible that it was what stupid American kid was eating. The source of the problem, the demand for Rhino horn, is ignored. Instead they travel to Africa to confront the poachers.

The Poachers, in classical Captain Planet fashion, state their ambition outright. They want to drive African Rhinos into extinction. In later scenes, Rhinos are depicted running away in fear from poachers, and even crying after getting shot.

To those unfamiliar with Rhinos, they are stupid, aggressive, and noted for attacking absolutely everything that moves. By everything, I mean *everything*. They don't cry, they don't run away, they attack, whether you're a pride of lions, a jeep, or an abnormally large wiener dog, they will attack.

I could nitpick until the end of time, but that would be missing the forest for the trees. The attitude presented casts out some of the most valuable allies to the environmental movement in favor of often outdated logic (CFCs were illegal when the show was made, dolphin safe tuna was also universal). The most valuable allies, the ones who often get things done, are the very people portrayed by this show as villains. Hunters may kill animals, but they also protect habitat. We will have to get our wood from somewhere, and newer trends in logging can help the forests. The Rainforest is not in danger from corporate greed, but from residents trying to clear land to farm on. Kids should be taught that the only way real change is going to be made is by working together, work with those big shadowy enterprises, not against them. Corporations, for all the bad press they get in shows like this, will take a better solution if its presented. Cars produce large amounts of C02. Car companies brought us Hybrids. Teach them that they can exact change by working *with* instead of against polluters. As individuals, they can do great things that way. Captain Planet would have us believe that polluters are doing so for the sole purpose of polluting, and are thus unredeemable. That is the platform Greenpeace, PETA, and other terrorist organizations. Don't let them think that. Diplomacy, not violence, not a tights clad superhero with a green mullet, will solve the problem. Does it make for good TV? No, not even slightly, but it does ring true with the message of the show. The power *is* yours.

Environmental angle aside, Captain Planet had a few messages worth listening to, when they weren't talking about the environment.
  • Captain Planet and the Planeteers, if it is referenced at all nowadays, is generally treated as a subject of mockery. Online reviewers such as the Nostalgia Critic have shredded it relentlessly, depicting it as a hopelessly ideological cartoon that nobody enjoyed. The show did sometimes bite off more than it could chew, but it also managed to be entertaining and, yes, educational.

The show's premise is familiar to most people. Gaia, the spirit of the Earth, gives five elemental power rings to an international group of teenagers in order to fight pollution. When they going gets tough, they can summon Captain Planet, an anti-pollution superhero. Each episode deals with a different environmental theme, ranging from smog to extinction to...gang violence.

The show worked best when it stuck to environmental themes. At times, the writers became overambitious and tried to deal with more fraught topics such as AIDS and gang warfare. These episodes almost inevitably fell flat, coming across as ham handed and even more preachy than the series usually was. One episode on gang violence was particularly awful, with the gangs depicted as something out of a bad 80s Mad Max rip off.

Nevertheless, the show served a purpose. It was often brutally honest in its treatment of environmental topics, within the limits of a show geared towards children. For instance, one show dealing with whaling featured a sequence of a mother whale being harpooned, complete with blood getting spilled in the water. This type of straight talk was a good thing and left viewers not only entertained, but informed. Perhaps even willing to take action.

For all its flaws, Captain Planet remains a well remembered series for me.
  • Those two words, I think pretty much sum up what this show was about. I think. That's what I got out of it. Did I miss anything? Now, let me qualify my review by saying that I used to love this show as a kid, and I watched it religiously. And not all the episodes were bad. The one where the kid had AIDS had a decent message. But still...

Let me run down a typical episode for you.

Planeteers are engaging in fun youthful, Scooby Doo Gang type activity, usually involving the environment. Suddenly they encounter the villain, usually a business owner, who being the owner of a multi-million dollar international corporation is obviously evil. Okay, maybe that's not so far-fetched. But unlike real evil corporation owners, the villains in Captain Planet don't actually provide a useful product or service. Instead, it seems the only thing their corporation does is destroy the environment. And it's not just because of lazy, careless, inattentive environmental procedures. No, the villains in this show are actively trying to destroy the planet. Seriously. That's always their life's ambition, to completely and utterly bring an end to the planet earth. Apparently they either don't realize or don't care that by destroying the earth, they'll be destroying the planet they themselves live on. And it's always an evil capitalist who's the main villain. It's never some lone nut. And there's never any reason given why they'd even think of intentionally destroying the planet. They're just evil, insane capitalists with access to millions of dollars. But seriously, who would ever actually come up with a plan to destroy the world with the intent to actually go through with it? I mean, would it be that hard to give someone a reason for trying to destroy the planet? Maybe it could just be a bluff, they don't actually want to go through with it, but they want to be taken seriously. Maybe they do want to destroy the world, just to hear it go BING! Maybe they've had a really hard life, and they want to end it, but they don't see why everyone else should stay alive either. Whatever.

Anyway, the Planeteers encounter the unreasonable planet-destroying-happy evil capitalist. They try to reason with him (or her, as the case may be), usually through well-reasoned, insightful, and persuasive arguments like "Polluting is for bozos." When that doesn't work, they try shutting down the capitalist's evil world-destroying pollution creation apparatti (unless there is no such word) with the power of their rings which allow them to control the five elements which include: Earth, Wind, and Fire. Or maybe it was Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Come to think of it, it may have been Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. Whatever. Anyway, the Planeteers would always end up in some inescapable situation which would result in their certain death, at which point they would combine the powers of their rings to summon Deus Ex Machina... I mean Captain Planet. The Captain would then show up and conveniently solve everyone's problems, except the evil capitalists, who would be carted off to prison on twelve counts of participating in an economic system where ambitious people can become extremely wealthy while other less ambitious people don't make as much money, as well as the misdemeanor charge of trying to destroy the planet.

At least that's what I remember about the show. Keep in mind, it's been a long time since I've seen the show, so everything I've said about it may be completely invalid. So don't take my word for it. And if you care about the environment, if you believe in learning to respect people of all cultures, and most importantly, if you hate capitalism, then by all means watch this show. And finally, I would like to echo the sentiments of a previous reviewer, who wondered rhetorically how many trees they had to be cut down to provide the producers of this show with paper to write/draw on.
    "Captain Planet" is one of those shows that many viewers used to watch as kids, but despise or mock as adults ( A similar things happens with the original "Power Rangers" series, which I'm sure that if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor, it would have been entirely forgotten by this time. Of course, I know that there are some people who still enjoy watching series like this, and that's perfectly fine, but I'm sure that even the most devoted fan of cartoons like this one is perfectly able to see how incredibly cheesy this series was.) Compared with other Nineties cartoons such as "Batman: The Animated Series", "Gargoyles" and "X-Men", "Captain Planet" hasn't aged very well: The animation is poor, the characters were flat and uninteresting (Both the heroes and villains) and most of its main features had a notoriously "dated" feeling on them.

Despite the fact that the ecological message is still relevant today, the way in which serious issues such as drug addiction, intolerance and racial violence left too much to be desired. Even for a kid's show, the writing was pretty lame and terribly uninspired.

That being said, I don't really hate this cartoon. I mean, I don't like it either, but I think that is not really different to many other equally forgettable cartoons from the eighties and nineties (Like for example "Turbo Teen", "It's Punky Brewster" and the "Darkstalkers" American cartoon from 1995)In many ways, it was just a product of its time, which wouldn't work very well today. Hey, I'm not even sure if it really worked back then, but this kind of extremely politically correct stuff was pretty common in kid's shows from the previous decades, when children were much less spoiled and also more impressionable. I miss so much those days.
  • The producers of this series launched this series with public statements that their purpose was to encourage environmental concern, a laudable goal.

Unfortunately, they failed to take into consideration how this series undermines rather than encourages pro-active environmental awareness.

According to this series, if our pollution and other environmental follies ever become too intense, never fear, the Earth itself will manifest a superpowered goddess (Gaia) and her superhero avatar (Captain Planet) to fix it for us. So why should anyone worry about litter or misuse of nuclear energy when there is always a two-dimensional savior figure waiting in the wings to fix it for us without any real help from us beyond a token phrase about "the power is yours" (it's yours, but I wield it, and you don't have to do a thing!)?

According to this series, pollution and other environmental follies don't really come from well-meaning but shortsighted researchers and businessfolk, nor do they come from profiteering corporations for which many of us work -- they come from evil destructive cruel villainous scum, so all we have to do is defeat the bad guys and the world will be environmentally clean and pollution-free. Since our viewers know they are not evil destructive cruel villainous scum, why should they feel any sense of personal responsibility for pollution and such? Instead, they can just focus on vilifying a few evil bad guys without whom everything would be wonderful.

Instead of encouraging environmental concern, this series simplifies all the complexities underlying pollution et al. into a crude if-we-defeat-the-few-bad-guys-everything-will-be-swell perspective with reliance not on oneself but on a summoned savior figure who removes personal responsibility.

Painfullly naive.

Excellent voice actors, though, and I always found myself cheering for Dr. Blight (Meg Ryan) and her computer MAL (Tim Curry) since they often had more wit and depth than any of the ethnic stereotype heroes and their ditzy superhero.
  • How anyone can like Captian Planet and it's popularity is quite an unsolved mystery indeed. Let me, Gomorrah-san, give ya a rundown here:

1. Animation tries to look too retro 1980's. Come in, it was made 1990s, so look at least a little updated. But then again.......

2. Almost all the characters had NO PERSONALITY WHAT SO EVER! Only characters with personality were the sassy American Planeteer and the blond villianess lady and her robot. The other Planeteers were offensive stereotypes of foreign countries (eg. All Asians being smart, all Latin American living in jungles and keep apes and rats as pets, etc).

3. Very, very contridicting messages. Save the enviroment, yet buy just about any Captain Planet menchandise you can find! Hey, Gomorrah has a better idea: HEY, CHILDREN, WANNA REALLY SAVE THE EARTH? DON'T BUY CAPTIAN PLANET MECHANDISE THAT WILL CLOG THE LANDFILLS!!!

4. All the talented Brasilian actors and actresses that went to waste here!!! Lucky they all deny the existance of this toon *LOL*

If you want good environmental animations, watch "Widget" or "The Raccoons". They bing out the message without being too liberal nor PC. Of if you want Eco-films, watch "Godzilla vs. Smog Monster" or the MST3K version of "Gamera vs. Zigra", or mabye even Catastrophe 1999 (NOW that movie freaked me out!).

But, if you want to be tortured S&M stlye or punish your kids like my folks did to me and sister, watch Captian Planet.
  • If this show could break it's message down into just a few sentences, it might read something like this -

People are bad because they pollute the planet and America is evil because it is advanced enough to have harnessed it's resources.

If you want a really good laugh (and not just at the horribly done animation), watch an episode. You'll actually want the bad guys to win.
  • Yuck! This was an awful cartoon designed to brainwash our kids into loving the planet, but I think it often made kids gag instead. This preachy nonsense was about as watchable as the TV test pattern! Each episode was jam-packed with political correctness and an almost maniacal worship of "mother earth" and so it looked less like a kids' cartoon and more like propaganda,...and that's exactly what it was. My oldest daughter watched this a few times with me and I was offended at both the horrible quality of the animation and writing as well as the anti-big business bias of the show. Generally, big business people were shown as being corrupt and bent on destroying our planet. But, thanks to the racial and gender diverse team of kids and Captain Planet, these evil no-goodnicks were taught a lesson,...AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN! Heck, if you've seen one episode then you've practically seen them all.

This is perhaps the only TV show I ever saw that made me WANT to go kill a Spotted Owl or burn down a rain forest! It's that bad!!
  • leopold-2019 July 2007
    This show is a bunch of hippie BS if you ask me. I watched this show when I was young and bought into all this hippie crap about how nuclear power/having more than two kids in a family/driving a car too much is somehow evil of us. Once I finally grew up and realized the facts and how stupid shows like this trick our kids today in believing things that are just flat out stupid. It's also funny how the group of people are all diverse and from every corner of the world, and they get along so well. Real Cute. I give this show a 1 out of 10 because of its stupid agenda to feed BS into kids heads about things that are just flat out not true.
    Here's the set up: Awakening from a long slumber, Gaia, the spirit of the earth, can no longer stand the terrible destruction plaguing our planet by evil Americans seeking profits and supplying energy to the country. In order to help destroy America and create communist dictatorships around the world, Gaia created five magical or Satanic rings, each with the power to control an element of nature. Gaia sent the rings to five demonic youths across the globe: Kwame, Wheeler, Linka, Gi, and Ma-ti.

These five were called "The Planeteers" and were given the task of ridding the earth of the free market, oil exploration, nuclear energy, and anything that veers from the idea of socialism and left-wing wacko environmentalism.

The series was pure propaganda aimed at children in a desperate effort to convince kids that America and the free market are evil while communism and environmental extremism is good. The show is clearly anti-American, as a good portion of the villains are American while the only American "hero", Wheeler, is often portrayed as ignorant or arrogant. In an episode where a villain turns a village in a developing country into an American-style suburb where disease is eliminated, there are fewer work hours, unemployment is substantially reduced, etc., the villagers lament how they used to live in paradise without knowing it.

One episode, "Population Bomb" suggested people should have fewer children lest they risk overpopulating the planet. The show is pro-communist and it was demonstrated that prior to the Soviet Union's collapse, Linka was the only character to have her origin specified by a nation instead of by a continent during the show's introduction. The show commonly depicted communist and formerly communist nations as pristine lands without many environmental problems, while in real life their environmental problems were devastating. The show frequently lied about the potential output of renewable energy sources. For example, the Planeteers travel in a high-speed, solar-powered aircraft that uses a mere fraction of the solar panels that would be needed to power a single-passenger car in real life. The show has also used caricatures; the villains' motivations have little in common with the people in the real world who cause pollution. Again, pure propaganda making businessmen appear evil and as the real cause of the earth's problems while making socialistic governments who have wrecked their economies and their environment's as the good guys. The writers of this show were clearly culled from insane asylums or found living in their parent's basements ecking out a mere existence working at McDonald's by day and typing their absurd scripts at night.

The actors who voiced the characters were all left-wing crackpots from the looney-bin in Hollywood. People who they themselves are the worst polluters of all with their huge energy-eating homes and limousines that eat fuel like crazy. They are hypocrites who work to twist the minds of vulnerable children. Certainly this can be construed as a form of child molestation and thankfully people woke up to this nonsense and stopped watching it as ratings dropped down into the coal pits of West Virginia.

The show was a disgrace and should have beared a disclaimer at the start of each episode that the following is communist propaganda and that parents should be aware that their children are being targeted by anti-American wackos.
  • Its ironic that Ted Turner, one of the greatest tycoons of America, should be behind a cartoon so obviously driven by its political message that big industry is all gooey and evil and just wants to pollute the world.

The characters are flat and annoying, the dialogue is pure grated cheese, and the plots are totally nonsensical. Most of the villains want to pollute the world simply for pollution's sake, and the planeteers come in (flying a ship thats obviously 50 years past everyone else's technology, yet they never seem to offer any of it to help make industry green-friendly) and summon the ambiguously gay Captain Planet after inevitably failing to solve the problem themselves, who is capable of speech only through bad puns, and who throws the unbridled fury of the elements at his foes with an intensity that should cause much more ecological destruction than anything the villains are doing. The ecology of most of the plots is simply preposterous as well, and the theme and ending songs are physically painful to listen to.

This just a badly written series, even for a saturday morning cartoon. Its obvious that the series was just a device for delivering liberal environmental doctrine to children. (Look up at the villain voice actors, too. Its a veritable who's-who of liberal Hollywood, with names like Martin Sheen and Jeff Goldblum.) And even then, most of the suggestions they have in their little GI Joe-esque "knowing's half the battle" segment at the end aren't the simple ecologic panacea that they pan them off as.

And in closing, I'd like to ask, what the hell is up with "heart"? All it apparently does is make Ma-ti Dr. Doolittle. And laika needs to get over herself and bone wheeler =D
  • nonabear101 February 2012
    I hate this show. It makes me want to dump toxic waste in a park. The characters are annoying and captain planet looks like an idiot. I can't get over the awful voice acting and I love Whoopie Goldberg but what was she thinking?! I would love to punch all those kids in the face. I'm all for being green but not if you act like these people. The so called bad guys are ridiculous. Chopping down trees isn't evil, its practical. I am so happy this dumb show is over. This show never taught me a thing, it just made me angry. To give this a 2 would be being too nice and I would give it a 0 if I could. If this is what made you "go green" I am sorry for you. I honestly am. No one should watch this show. I can't think of 1 redeemable quality to this show. If there are people that think I am being too harsh they need to go back and pay attention to how awful this show truly is.
  • I don't know what the producers were thinking when they made this show. Apparently they thought that this type of show would influence kids to take better care of the environment- wrong. Good guys pick up garbage and bad guys create it, so I guess we're all evil to some extent. I remember it had the reverse effect as everyone of my classmates hated the show and deliberately created more garbage on the playground more, had more fights and loved singing anti-captain planet songs. It has a great voice cast though, and that's the only good there was of it.
  • This whole show is a half hour show filled with extreme corniness. Almost all of the characters on this show are corny except the villians (who might have been the ONLY characters to have character, or a personality). Frankly, I'm with Op_Prime on this one: It was probably only made to teach kids to keep the environment clean.

A show I certainly do want to forget. 2/10 for the villians (since they are less corny)