• I have watched the show "Home Improvement" ever since 1991, when I was in second grade. I must say that it is one of the absolute best shows on television, and it is so hard to see it go. I have followed the show from the time the boys were in elementary school to now, when they are all teenagers. The ideas and techniques that were put into this show are superb, like never showing Wilson Wilson's face, and the fact that Tim always got hurt in every episode! Those things kept people coming back for more. The show kept you laughing for a half hour, and also kept you crying at the final bows of the last show. The actors in this show could'nt have done a better job, and I will miss tuning in to see all of them every Tuesday. It has been a good eight years; thank goodness there will still be reruns playing! And one more thing; I LOVED how they had Al walk out in a plaid tuxedo when he took his bow! We finally saw your face Wilson!
  • Tim Allen is just the best as the tool man and the rest of the cast as well provides continuous jokes and mishaps throughout every show that make it possible to watch each show more than once.

Besides just being entertaining the show deals with some important issues specifically about the differences of both male and female and their weaknesses as well as strengths.

This show is one of my two favourite shows of all time. American sitcoms can't get much better than this.
  • Home Improvement ranks at #1 of my all-time favorite shows ever. I have seen every episode of the show at least 10 times and I never get tired of them. Tim Allen is very funny in this show, and I will forever be a huge fan of his because of this show. The show had an excellent cast and they had great chemistry. This show would still be as good if it were still on the air, but unfortunately, Earl Hindman passed away in late 2003, a man whose character, Wilson, helped drive the show. There was never a show before this of this level of entertainment, and there will never be one like it again. Many of the people that I know always talk about how good this show is. This is a show that I hope will be played in reruns for many years to come.
  • This tv show ranks among my all-time favorites. After watching a couple Tim Allen comedy sketches, I saw where they got the basis of the show's humor and plot, and it was good. Allen shines as the accident-prone Tim the tool man Taylor, who wanted more power and offered advice on his cable tv show, but was a total klutz at home. His wife Jill, three kids, friend and co-host Al, and neighbor Wilson (whose face you never saw, and they came up with pretty creative ways to hide it) were around to put up with him.

Great TV entertainment!
  • Home Improvement has now become like "The Simpsons" in that you are always seeking that illusive "never-seen-this-one-before" episode. Unfortunately, unlike the Simpsons, Tim Allen and the rest of the gang have stopped making Home Improvement, but I believe it will live on among the classics of family sit-coms like The Cosby Show.

Jonathan Taylor Thomas is especially brilliant in the role of smart-mouthed Randy Taylor, a role that obviously launched his career.

Tim Allen proves his slap stick humour is as brilliant as his Buzz Lightyear character, and support from Patricia Richardson (as Jill Taylor), Earl Hindman (as the hidden Wilson Wilson) and Richard Karn (as "my assistant Al Borland") makes Home Improvement great fun!

Be sure to tune in for the "Salute to...." humour!
  • Home Improvement offers something for everyone in the family. It has these parents Tim Taylor (Tim Allen) and Jill Taylor (Patricia Richardson) and they have these teen boys Brad (Zachery Ty Bryan), Randy (Jonathan Taylor Thomas) and Mark (Taran Noah Smith).Tim has this show on TV called Tool Time with his Tool Time buddy Al (Richard Karn).On Tool Time Tim usually hurts himself and it's always a big disaster.And there is the tool girl Heidi (Debbe Dunning).The Taylor's have this neighbour Wilson (Earl Hindman) that the Taylor's can ask the advice for the problems.Wilson's face is always covered with something.So on Home Improvement you can watch an ordinary family with ordinary problems.And laugh at the same time.Too bad that the show ended this year.They did have great eight years.
  • I just want to say that "Home Improvement" is one of my favorite shows ever! Why? Because it's fun and funny! From the very first episode where Tim modifies the dishwasher using an air compressor which then causes the dishwasher to blow up!, all the way to Tim dreaming how he can move the Taylor's house all the way to Indiana, "Home Improvement" was one of the greatest, most imaginative shows ever made. Of course, this show "was the 90s." Much like Thursday nights at 8 in that decade meant "Seinfeld" was on, Tuesday nights at 8 in the 90s meant that it was time for "Home Improvement." My favorite episode ever is "The Man's Kitchen," which is from the 3rd season, due to come to DVD soon. Everything about that episode is so awesome! In fact, ever since I was a little boy watching this show, I always wanted a kitchen like that! Many other memorable moments have happened on this show that stays completely in our minds: for example, there's an episode where Tim drops an I-beam on Jill's Chevy Nomad! Of course, all throughout the series after that episode, we "HI" fans would always remember back on that funny part! If no one has ever seen "Home Improvement" yet, then I highly suggest you watch it. You, too, will be amazed!
  • As a young kid growing up in the 90s, I distinctly remember watching this show when over my friends' house, or whenever my parents watched it--which wasn't much because my Dad hardly ever watched sitcoms. When the show went into syndication, that's when I started really watching the shows, although by then they were reruns.

Now, as a young adult and watching this show on DVD, I must really say that it still holds up well. Very few things are outdated, thanks to the good writing and acting. For a modern sitcom, it's very clean (of course many 90s shows were) and very enjoyable. Good, wholesome family fun, which can't be said of many sitcoms today (unfortunately).

I give the show a 8 out of 10, simply because nothing is perfect, and Home Improvement has never claimed to be perfect, but it sure is a lot of fun.
  • I grew up with "Home Improvement". I followed "HI" from its very first episode (I had just started 6th grade) to its last (I had finished my first year of college). This was a fun show because you could relate to the Taylor family. I always laughed at Al's flannel wardrobe, his mom (!), and his relationship with Ilene. I loved the episode of Tool Time with the car alarm ("Back away, Flannel Man!")

It was a great eight seasons. I miss "Home Improvement" and the people on it. But we'll always have our memories. (and reruns!)
  • The first four seasons of this fam-com had some of the most sharply written battle of the sexes dialogue anywhere. The bi-play of Allen and Richardson was perfect, which makes you glad her character was re-cast at the last minute. It would be hard to imagine anyone else with better timing to play his wife. But unfortunately at about the beginning of the 94-95 season, much of the writing and producing staff changed and the show suffered. They managed to crank out a decent amount of good episodes the next couple of years, but after that, it plain and simple just didn't make me laugh anymore. Bland scripts, with none of the earlier punch that the show had, took up the last few years, that mercifully ended in May of 99. Hard to believe that Allen and Co. lasted almost a whole decade in our living rooms, but for me the loyal viewing ended about midway into the run. Before the writing went in the standard sitcom direction, the show offered some of the funniest stuff I'd scene. Allen's silly outlook on life, that included worshipping auto racers and football players, and living and dying with his tools and hot rods, was fodder for a lot of good episodes. The kids were good in the mix, too, with Thomas being the real star of the 3, a good young actor with terrific delivery. Bryan, though older, was a subpar performer, with dull line readings the entire run of the show. And Smith sort of forgotten in the backround as the youngest son, doing neither good or bad with his part. He was just kind of there, and turned into some kind of goth lover, wearing all black most of the time and dying his hair that same color. Karn rounded out one of the better comedy teams as Allen's goody-goody assistant on his home improvement cable tv show. The show itself introduced some unconventional teqniques, like the screen dropping cuts to the next scene, the use of bloopers in the final credits and the often heard but never seen neighbor, Hindman. As Wilson, he usually offered up some sort of poetic advice which Allen would inadvertently twist and contort that would net an easy laugh. There were also a pair of gorgeous "tool girls" that spiced up Allen's show, Pam Anderson and the stunning Debbe Dunning. In catching up on the some of the years I missed thru re-runs, it seemed they introduced more of the extended family later on. Richardson's parents and sisters and Allen's brother's, one of which became a regular (O' Leary). He actually ended up getting seperated from his wife at one point, and seemed to become a full time performer, but then had his role limited to guest shots. Young Thomas left the show in his own, one year before the final season. Citing that he wanted to concentrate on college, it was later revealed that he and Allen had a bad off-screen relationship. Thomas didn't even turn up for the finale. Tim's poker and tool shop buddies became more widely used on the show, though I could've done without the worthless, brain-dead moocher, Benny. Everything came to a close as Al was married off to a frumpy millionaire and the family relocated to give Jill a chance at her dream job. The final moment was a ridiculous shot of the family towing their house across water(!) so they wouldn't have to live without it. I have to say that the behind the scenes look back and curtain calls were better than the actual episode. Oh, well, some good years in there made it enjoyable for awhile.
  • departed0724 May 2005
    Now here's a man show where we can say the words: More Power! "Home Improvement" is a family show and an expertise show on tools where the main character Tim Taylor (Tim Allen) runs his show called 'Tool Time' with his assistant Al Borland (Richard Karn), for which he is more of an expert than Tim.

Tim's family life is very insane and yet fun to watch. His wife Jill (Patricia Richardson) is the type of wife that gets jealous of what Tim does or yet, cannot stay out of people's affairs; his three sons Brad (Zachary Bryan) is a trouble maker, Randy (Jonathan Taylor Thomas) is a smart-ass and Mark (Taran Smith) is the innocent that gets picked on by the older sons. He also has a neighbor named Wilson (Earl Hindman) who only shows half of his face in every episode for which he is always there for Tim and his family when they are in trouble.

Like "Boy Meets World," I admire this family show until during later seasons, most of the characters got annoying; Jill decides to go back to school, Randy became a pompous know-it-all, Mark had issues and Brad was just himself throughout the show. The real reason I watched this show was because of Tim Allen's comic genius and just seeing how much disaster he would cause.
  • Home Improvement is one of the most hilarious shows I've ever seen! This was one of the last family sitcoms from the 90's. I never watched it during its eight-year run; I first saw it when someone gave me the first season about two years ago and I laughed so hard at this my gut nearly busted (I still do each and every time I watch the re-runs on TBS in the afternoon)! Tim Allen is so amazingly funny as he tries to raise his three boys Brad (Zachery Ty Bryan), Randy (Jonathan Taylor Thomas a.k.a "JTT), and Mark (Taran Noah Smith), support his wife Jill (Patricia Richardson), and host his own show "Tool Time". My all-time favorite episode is "Adventures in Fine Dining" from the first season where the boys are behaving rowdy at the dinner table and it's up to Tim to improve their table manners. Rating for one of the last great family sitcoms: 10/10!
  • hoodunit929 September 2008
    This is definitely one of the better sitcoms. It's not just blatant senseless humor. I watched it growing up and I have loved every single episode. I would rate it better than "Friends", "Seinfeld", "Simpsons" and many other highly rated sitcoms. I think what makes it better is that there is comedy as well as a lesson to be learned from each episode. Growing pains for the guys (Brad's drug problem), girlfriends, dealing with divorce (Tim's nieces), dealing with death, relationship problems (Al's and Heidi's relationships)... you name it, it's all there. Definitely a sitcom with a message.

Love it till today!
  • I have caught episodes of this show here and there and for the most part thought Tim Allen was rather funny. The lady who plays his wife is rather good as well as Al. The problem with this show is the kids. I cannot stand them at all...they were ok enough in the earlier episodes, but as they got older the worse they got. I think they all thought they were totally cool and they were all destined to be stars or something. The funniest episodes in this show usually involved the episodes where the kids had minimal exposure. Like the one where Tim and his wife went to that counseling session. Also, the scenes of the Tool Time show were usually pretty funny as well. This is one case where a show would have been much better without kids being involved and it being more focused on the guy's job. Maybe an only child would have been better as well as then it would be funny watching the father teach the one kid the tools of the trade. Of course, I wouldn't use any of the three kids they had for the show to play this part.
  • This TV Show is not only funny, but family-oriented and deals with many different issues. This show is very meaningful and all of the cast is wonderful. Tim Allen is awesome. Earl Hindman is very good at being serious. I enjoy watching shows that are about families and this show is definitely a family show. I came up with my own Top 100 TV Show list and this show is #20.
  • modemania29 January 2005
    I am extremely disappointed that the producers of DVD TV shows do not think about people like myself who need captioning due to hearing impairments. I don't miss a segment of Home Improvement if I can help it on television. But according to the details provided by IMDb there is no captioning on the collections of Home Improvement. Omitting this detail will surely result in fewer sales so I don't know why no one thought about it. If I could write directly to Carmen Finestra, I would but there is no email address listed for her or anyone connected to the show. Also, there is no other way to express my opinion of this subject other than this forum. The fact that comments have to be 10 lines seems rather ridiculous. I certainly don't want to read long rambling comments. Commnents should be limited to 10 lines!
  • A

Starring: Tim Allen, Patricia Richardson, Richard Karn, and Earl Hindman.

Tim Allen stars as Tim 'The Tool Man' Taylor. He gets his nickname because he and his "chunky" friend Al host "Tool Time". You, the viewer, witness the many misadventures he and his family undergo. You also see the show "Tool Time". Most of the time it involves Tim making a joke about Al's "size". Hell he's just big-boneded.

The show has many funny and great jokes. The storylines always seem to succeed. No matter what. The only complaint I have against the show is that at times, they try way too hard to get a joke off well. And, when it doesn't work, it messes up big.

Rank: Somewhere in the Top 5.
  • lakenstein12 April 2007
    honestly I don't know why this show lasted as long as it did. ah well, humor is subjective eh? but yeah, this show is incredibly unfunny if you ask me. Tim Allen is annoying. Jill is annoying. the boys are annoying. Al is annoying. the neighbor is annoying. it's just more annoying then funny. the plots are all the same, Tim makes Jill mad and has to make things right again. and the latter seasons? less said about them the better, who the hell things cancer would be good for a damn sitcom? yeah, great idea jerks. so yeah, home improvement isn't a very good sitcom. I'd recommend you go watch News Radio or Seinfeld. if i had to give this show a rating I'd give it a 1/10 seeing as it never made me laugh once. ever. so yeah, it's still better then The Nanny though.
  • DrMongol15 February 2007
    (Warning, several plot spoilers later on in the review).

"I can't give birth." - Tim "Big Booty Booty" Taylor.

I can't believe that the black guy in this smash American television series is also the actor that plays the Host of Family Feud. This connection between genres is never revealed to the public, and therefore the symbolism of networks is obscured and wilted. The foggy captioning of the next door neighbor's (Wilson) hidden black face proves to be a direct proportion to the communistic views of both JFK and Airbud.

Tim Allen and Tim Steck play the perfect husband and wife couple in this series, and they are perfectly cast as writer Warrent Chafers casts them into a new and unknown episode every week long end OK? The show is currently on it's 28th season, and holds the record for the longest running action series in the world, just barely beating Doctor Who (an England and Londonese smash hit from London or someplace). Sweet Jesus Fisher! There's more to this excellent 6 star review? How about a mini-chimney for your pleasure.

I must admit, my favorite episode was the Christmas episode starring Brian the elf, a skinny Italian mobster who held Tim's family hostage and proceeded to beat and kill everyone in the neighborhood. The episode ended with young Tim waking up in a pool of liquor, while giving birth to thousands of dead wolf spiders.

After playing this video game for a smooth 4 days, I realized that no two episodes were the same, and neither were the antics of Tim and his morbidly obese partner, Allerns. The children also play a detrimental success to the everliving societal marks on this golden mullet populous, the epitome of the ideal human male. The epic score by Danny Elfman brings tears to my eyes as the opening credits roll and the camera pans out to show a battle-hardened Tim standing stark-naked against the European sunset gazing out over the bodies of the brave men who fought and died to end the oppressive reign of the German dictator, Allerns.

In conclusion, I longingly await the conclusive 30th season to this American classic, and reflect upon the great moments that made this show so memorable.

Home Improvement moments of great justice for life OK? - Tim Allen falling face first into the ice hole in that ice hole episode.

• The dramatic death of the black guy in that ice hole episode.

• Tim and Allerns traveling back to the 1920's and sparking the rise of Nazism.

• The entire 20th season (most importantly the BattleStar Galactica crossover).

• Golden Mullet - Proficient drug use in season 17.

• By submitting this comment you are agreeing to the terms laid out in our Copyright Statement.

• The birth of baby Brian.

• One of the camera men having a life ending Ulcer, and having it accidentally spliced into the 4th season.

• The dramatic death of Allerns in that ice hole episode.

• The dramatic reincarnation of Allerns.

"The best animated film of the year!" - New York Times
  • malibu1051 September 2007
    Why do people say that you have no brain if you like this show. We are all different u STUPID MORONIC IDIOTS!!!! I like the show and i have a brain its up to people if they like the show or not! just because YOU haters of this show don't like it Doesn't mean people are stupid or whatever. we are all different, and i think thats what makes the world interesting. i think this show is really good. i watch it on ABC1. they are not in order, because these are repeats. i was too young, i wasn't even born when it came out, but i in 2007 think its really good. anyway my point is we are all different. does anybody else watch this show now? :D
  • This is one of the best series to ever air on tv. Tim Allen plays the accident prone and host of Tool Time, Tim Taylor. Every episode has Tim getting hit in the head, lighting himself on fire, gluing himself to something and on and on. The rest of the cast was equally funny, in this tv gem. Now it is over and it is greatly missed.
  • I think home improvement is one of the best shows around. I've seen like every episode and love all of them. i have nothing negative to say i like it. i think its clever to hide Wilson's face behind a fence made it funny. a lot of people like this show. i think there should be more shows like this today. i like those kind of shows. like Seinfeld,or th fresh prince of Bel air now we have weird shows that just aren't as good.Tim Allen is the best choice for the show. hes really funny. its a clever,funny, and good family show i see an episode I've seen a whole bunch and never get tired of it. one of the bet shows love it. i kinda wish the show could keep going but they had to end it at some point. the closing of the show was good because it showed how much the cast liked working on the show, and how they revealed Wilson's face.
  • AnnaShade2 February 2008
    This show is amazing. I remember seeing it for the first time in 2007. I watched one episode and I was hooked. I was shocked at how funny it was.

As a person who is easily amused and entertained but does not laugh at TV, this show made an impression I don't think I've seen a single episode that didn't make me laugh at one point or another. That is a record to which no other show has come close.

While there are a few moments when the humor is forced, they are far between.

The cast is amazing as well as the lines.

Also, adding Wilson was a stroke of genius for whoever created his character.

Even as a newcomer to the show (with only reruns), I am a full fledged fan.

I highly recommend this show to anyone and everyone!
  • A lot of reviewers has commented on the funny side of Home Improvement but none on the philosophical side.

Yes this show is extremely funny but what makes this show to be exceptional is that it also has very deep insights on the basics of humankind. Wilson is there to do so so and Tim Allen uses Wilson to explain the basics of Human relationships in a very simple way. When Wilson appears on the scene the tempo of the show slows down. It is funny in an intelligent way and also Wilson explains to Tim about the basics of life and relationships.

I liked the character of Tim Taylor most. I would like to add to one other reviewers comment that 'Tim is a stupid ass' by saying that he is an open minded stupid ass. I mean that most of the men are stupid asses like Tim Taylor but this stupidity to create something shows the innovative nature of men. Also Tim Taylor earns his redemption by being open to and heeding to advice from Wilson.

This show does not pretend to be a serious insightful show on life but it is as insightful as any Woody Allen movie. It somewhat reminds me of the movie "Life is Beautiful".
    The scripts: awful, follows the same Hollywood commercial formula, predictable, boring, and not funny except perhaps for a 3-year-old infant.

The actors: Tim Allen: not funny, no acting skills The wife: so annoying! The neighbor: ridiculous idea The kids aren't particularly talented.

Even the sound track and effects suck!

I cannot comprehend how many people wasted their time watching this garbage.

There are just too many better way s to spend your short time on earth. Watching something good on TV was not exactly what I had in mind, but it would be a start!